Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4230370 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #37020 on: April 25, 2020, 08:05:49 PM »

:rejoice
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #37021 on: April 25, 2020, 08:58:31 PM »
if this pandemic pushes back the release date of Dune, I’m gonna get violent.

Tasty

« Reply #37022 on: April 25, 2020, 09:04:00 PM »

Matrix 4 filming was suspended. :(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37023 on: April 25, 2020, 09:14:36 PM »
:notlikethis
dog

Tasty

« Reply #37024 on: April 25, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »

Fuck Dune, Bond 25 got pushed back :goty

Yeah... can't wait to see the follow-up to Spectre... :confused

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37025 on: April 25, 2020, 09:37:02 PM »
mortal kombat scorpion movie: sonya was unbearable   ::) :yuck

cage was lame af, why he gotta be a wimpy actor? just make dude cocky and let him beat people up  ::)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37026 on: April 25, 2020, 09:43:21 PM »
Aside from MK: Annihilation being so bad that even as a preteen I comprehended what a terrible movie was, the fact that they killed off Johnny Cage in the first 10 minutes was the start of the shit show.

those were 300 dollar glasses asshole  :bow

Tasty

« Reply #37027 on: April 25, 2020, 09:46:50 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37028 on: April 26, 2020, 10:08:28 AM »
For as legit awesome Mortal Kombat is, Annihilation is every bit as awesome in the exact opposite direction :rejoice

For real. MK epitomizes the awesome 90's cheese film, Annihilation is that for being so fucking bad you can't help but be highly entertained.

ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #37029 on: April 27, 2020, 01:54:58 AM »
I watched Once upon a time in Hollywood.

So just to kind of set the table, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are both probably in my top 10 of personal best movie selections. The Hateful 8 I adored. My least favorite Tarantino movie is Inglorious Basterds which I still consider a good film.

Welp I have a new least favorite Tarantino film and this takes it by a wide margin. I'm not sure I can say I consider Once upon a time in Hollywood a "good" film. I was deathly bored through the first half of it, and at least awakened during the better second half but still found it mostly puzzling.

What is the purpose of this film? Outside of being a "twist" movie for QT. The two lead characters are one note and boring and unchanging throughout. There are no consequences in this film outside of the subversion of expectations at the end. This would be fine if it was some terrific slice of life movie but it isn't. It's sort of faux stylish all in service of nothing. There are no great scenes that I want to rewatch and bask in like a usual QT film. It's all so mundane. Like he's just going through the paces putting his stamp on this period piece movie but it's neither detailed enough to have the presence of a Fincher film, nor fun enough to feel like an actual QT movie. It's weird. I don't get it. I don't get why it was made. I don't get why it got oscar noms. I don't get it.

I guess I compare this to Django Unchained in an odd way. I think Django is a good movie but not in the top tier of Tarantino work. But its unabashedly fun. I kinda feel the same way about Death Proof which damn sure ain't for everybody but it goes for what its going for. This movie ain't fun and it ain't going for anything.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37030 on: April 27, 2020, 07:21:53 PM »
Big fan of that film, you can just crack open a beer, relax and enjoy all the character interactions and beautiful cinematography.
A change of pace from the usual modern film making.

It's not for everyone. Especially if you don't care for the lead characters then there's nothing else that keeps it afloat.
🤴

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #37031 on: April 28, 2020, 05:34:15 AM »
Once upon a time in Hollywood was pretty poop, not giving it more words than this, doesnt deserve it

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #37032 on: April 29, 2020, 07:05:24 AM »
EDIT: moved to tV

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37033 on: April 29, 2020, 09:56:31 AM »
The Last Starfighter – Teen plays vidya. He’s really good at said vidya. And it turns out that the arcade cabinet was more of a recruitment test to find someone who can become a starfighter to join a space war in a distant galaxy or solar system (far away from Earth simply put).

Altogether this movie didn’t come together for me. It’s a fun cheesy sci fi story that’s over the top, sure. Reminds of a theme park ride that has a story to go along with it. I guess that’s kind of the quality of the space portion of the movie. Back on Earth we get a good idea of what our main man Alex is all about. His motivations, dreams, who he is. We get how important he is to his community. He’s a good brother and son. He’s got a girlfriend and they have a plan for the future. All of that is set up nicely and because the movie keeps up with happenings on Earth throughout the movie we understand this from those other characters too.

Meanwhile all that happens in space. Well I found it to be woefully underwritten. Like a cheap knock off of a movie that wants to emulate Star Wars. The main bad guy is, well a joke frankly. The scale of the battle is pretty pitiful as well. We don’t really get to know these factions all that well. Or rather we just don’t get to know them at all. We only know Starfighter group = good. These other guys whose name I forget = bad. But in terms of caring for our good side or having hatred for the bad side, I’m not invested sadly.

I had to look after the completion of this movie when it was released. 1984. So this is post-OG Star Wars trilogy. The reason I looked was because of the CGI. It’s not good. Terrible disconnect from the CGI used in the space battles and exterior as opposed to the interior sets which are quite nice. Even thought the interiors weren’t as good as Star Wars ones they were still very well done. The CGI used for the battles (and the cave area), it’s no good. Yes I know that CGI gets dated over time. That’s not my issue. It’s that the implementation is not fitting here. The art style clashes with the non-CGI stuff. And I can understand that maybe that’s as good as things could have been back then. Still, if that was the result, it would have been better to make miniature models. And I don’t understand how the Star Wars OG trilogy space battles were shot and how much CGI was used in those. All I know is that in that movie it looked fantastic. The Last Starfighter is very poor.

Dialogue was sub standard at times. “I love you Alex Rogan” line is just, what? The acting is sometimes hampered by the dialogue I would say. I wasn’t always all that impressed with Alex Rogan’s acting. But I think some of that has to do with the script/dialogue. Like I mentioned earlier, it’s underwritten at times.

It’s a dorky fantasy come to life. Save the world, get the girl, everyone admires you. A true male teen’s wet dream. Simple enough. Just not that good though. 2 out of 5.

Interestingly enough, I looked at Wikipedia after watching the movie and found out that it has a rather decent consensus from critics and is considered a cult movie nowadays. Even people like Spielberg were interested in working on a sequel.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37034 on: April 29, 2020, 05:40:15 PM »
Looks pretty interesting involving a painter from the ol homeland.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37035 on: April 29, 2020, 05:51:25 PM »
That Jackson ANOES movie could have been tight.
could have been a thriller  ;)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #37036 on: April 30, 2020, 04:59:32 AM »
OT even for this thread, do we have an aviation thread?

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/harrison-ford-investigated-by-faa-after-airplane-runway-incident-1234593715/

The FAA said in a statement to Variety that the 77-year-old actor was piloting an airplane that crossed the runway as another plane tried to land, putting the aircrafts only 3,600 feet apart.

“The FAA is investigating an incident in which the pilot of an Aviat Husky taxied across the runway at Hawthorne Municipal Airport Friday afternoon while another aircraft was performing a touch-and-go landing,” a spokesperson for the FAA said.

In a statement to Variety, a representative for Ford explained that the incident was due to a miscommunication from Air Traffic Control and that there was little danger involved.
Sounds like he's tempting fate at this point with all the previous incidents

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37037 on: April 30, 2020, 05:06:56 AM »
At 77 you shouldn't be allowed to fly a fucking plane in the first place.
Get a PC with Flight Simulator and a VR headset.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #37038 on: April 30, 2020, 05:09:50 AM »
Lots of pilots are dirt old, but I feel like after you're 65 ish you should get more frequent with the upkeep like they do with your motorcar licence. Guy is obviously not at his best, he should probably not be allowed to fly solo in the near future.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:53:54 AM by Momo »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37039 on: April 30, 2020, 05:13:19 AM »
Harrison Ford is really the man for the role of Joseph Joestar  :leon
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #37040 on: April 30, 2020, 05:44:33 AM »
Harrison Ford is really the man for the role of Joseph Joestar  :leon
No. I refuse to start with old Joseph! We should have young Joseph first fighting naked pillar muscles, being gay with his best friend the Italian bottom and epic tales of incest with his mom :maf

then we can have old joseph  :ohyeah

Tasty

« Reply #37041 on: April 30, 2020, 07:55:36 AM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/lana-wachowski-matrix-4-action-scenes-second-units-1202228270/

“What makes [Lana] so great is she directs her own action,” Stahelski told Collider. “We’ve had second unit directors on some of the [‘Matrix’ films] just because of the logistics involved. But of late, and especially on ‘Matrix 4,’ she’s directing her own action. The second units for them are mostly establishing shots, the B-sides of the some of the compositions for some locations. But Lana, she does her own action. She weaves it into the main unit stuff, which is why their stuff looks so good.”

:lawd

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37042 on: April 30, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »
The Stanford Prison Experiment – You’ve heard about this experiment in passing or maybe it was a footnote in one of your college or high school classes (maybe not so much outside North America, but you know what? USA = the world. So get on board everybody else). Stanford professor sets up a 2 week experiment where several Stanford male students act as prisoners and other Stanford male students act as the prison guards. It all goes to shit fairly quickly and by day 6 the experiment is stopped.

What we witness is the abuse of power and abuse of authority and how we are influenced by the position we are given. How you are viewed affects you as well as how you view yourself. “Hey hey hey. I got this uniform, shades, and baton? Feels niiiiice. Feels powerful. It yells authority. Control. I liiiiiike this.” And before you know it you lose yourself and who you are and become your position. It’s really fun to see how the bullying, psychological abuse and emotional abuse keeps ramping up. Some prisoners lose their minds quickly. Others try to be goody two shoes in hopes that they will be spared, mostly. Not all prison guards let their position fully take over who they are outside of the experiment. But those who do, hoooo boy. They run with it and never pull back. My favorite are the lanky tall dude who seems like a bit of a well mannered goober in real life, but once he gets a little taste of having absolute authority… well let’s just say people like him should never be put in such positions haha. And the king guard has to be the guy who dons a cowboy accent and attitude. He really lives for this shit. It’s beautiful in the most twisted way.

I like Ezra Miller and Tye Sheridan the most as the prisoners. Ezra gets a good little choking scene here. I hear he recently applied this to a fan in some random country? :p . The main professor and his staff deal with what they see. Slowly but surely they become more uneasy with how things are going. The main professor doesn’t want to stop things even though they are getting out of control and even he is starting to be less of an observer and more of a “head of jail” type of dude. I think it’s the culmination of everyone speaking to him over time and then him witnessing what he does just before he pulls the plug that convinces him “alright, c’mon what are we doing here, really?”

It’s an enjoyable ride. Kinda goes by like that. You know exactly what you are getting into, but seeing it play out is quite enjoyable in a sick way. Abuse of authority, abuse of power and how quickly one is able to succumb to it.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #37043 on: April 30, 2020, 09:02:42 PM »
Random post bourbon thought while watching The Raid 2. My favorite thing about this movie is how the villains fought (baseball dude, hammer girl, kitchen man) are built up before their fights with Rama. They’re lethal, fast, strong, creative. Usually in an action movie, the villains are handicapped (slower or dumber) by the time the main fight comes along or taken down with a cheap trick or random flaw. In this movie, they seem just as powerful as before. The fights live up to the anticipation and feel close even if you know Rama has to win.

Tasty

« Reply #37044 on: May 01, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »

Not one for parodies but this has got a few great bars. :leon

Tasty

« Reply #37045 on: May 01, 2020, 05:42:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/Lionsgate/status/1256331796037292032

John Wick 4 no longer sharing a date with Matrix 4 (probably/hopefully.)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37046 on: May 01, 2020, 06:15:34 PM »
Nooooo

Matrix 4 / John Wick 4 day would've been so awesome  :'(
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #37047 on: May 01, 2020, 06:28:39 PM »
Too bad, a double dose of keanu reeves steez would have been dope.

The days where I wanted to see two movies on the same day/weekend have long since passed.

I think movies should be spaced out well too. People complain about Nintendo droughts but don't care about the Keanu drought. :stahp

Tasty

« Reply #37048 on: May 01, 2020, 11:35:11 PM »
Just occurred to me the obliteration of cinemas might actually cause the superhero bubble to burst... People have speculated for a while, but I see a return to more diversified film production portfolios if the market is mostly/all at-home-digital. And also more tinier production companies to spring up in order to meet a hyper-specific audience. (Netflix: "We have data that crunk music is going to be big again soon, quick write a thing about it!")

But I suppose it's mostly up to Disney's whims at this point... I think Feige might have seen the writing on the wall, and is branching out into Disney+ shows to brace against it ahead of time.

A smart man, that Feige.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #37049 on: May 01, 2020, 11:38:47 PM »
everything according to keikaku

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37050 on: May 02, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »
Can't wait to go to a theater again. Gonna be a good day. Lol at AMC theaters banning Universal movies for the foreseeable future by the way. You people have probably seen that news?
------
Mary and the Witch’s Flower – Now this was a nice treat and a reminder that kids shouldn’t put up with crap films just because they are for kids. More of this for the younger crowd please. A young English girl finds a special flower that suddenly gives her the power of a witch. From here she is taken away by a broom stick to a college for witches and warlocks.

For a change she is admired and apparently can do no wrong. A prodigy it seems. But all is not as a it seems and that flower she found causes much more trouble than she could have ever imagined.

Beautifully animated, this film will remind you of Studio Ghibli flicks. Like many of those films, this one also features a female lead. She hates her hair (hey just like me) and seems clumsy, but when push comes to shove, she finds her own inner strength to do what she must. A simple tale of too much power being in one’s hand and the consequences of using it. I can’t think of the proper words. It’s something like “you tried so hard to make X happen when you should have considered if you should even make X happen at all”. I know there is a better way of putting that thought into a cleaner sentence, but you get the point. Anyways, a very nice film. I only had access to the English dub which happens to be very good so no problem there.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37051 on: May 02, 2020, 02:40:23 PM »
I dismissed it 'cause it looked like a B-grade Kiki (i know it shares some staff, esp. after their closure, with Ghibli, but even then) does it add anything to the formula? I was also not very impressed with Ponoc's entry in the Modest Heroes anthology (they did the tiny people one, right?).

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37052 on: May 02, 2020, 02:44:35 PM »
A friend came over and we watched Rambo: Last Blood on Amazon Prime, that shit was so bad. :lol
©@©™

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37053 on: May 02, 2020, 02:48:14 PM »
Nope. Just a solid movie. It's simple to follow for the younger crowd and would certainly recommend this to parents that want to enjoy a movie with their kids without forcing themselves. I kinda like how small it feels. Only a few various settings in play here for the most part. It's not as grand as some Ghibli movies or as fleshed out perhaps.

I actually feel bad that I can't compare it to Kiki for you as I'm sure that would have a been a great comparison. Ah you know what I think I saw the first 10 or so minutes of Kiki somewhere and from what I saw of that movie I would have to venture that these two do not overlap much at all other than "young girl rides a broomstick and has a black cat".

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37054 on: May 02, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »
Fight Club

Hadn't seen this in years and watched it with a friend who apparently had never seen it so his mind was completely blown in a good way.
Still holds up incredibly well. I'm surprised at how fast this movie gets going and how it has so few distractions (practically none) from the main plot.
🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #37055 on: May 05, 2020, 12:10:43 AM »
Just saw Hot Fuzz, perfect movie :dead
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #37056 on: May 05, 2020, 12:13:08 AM »
Just saw Hot Fuzz, perfect movie :dead

I go back and forth on whether I like it or Shaun better. I think Shaun takes the edge because of the genre, but man, I still get pumped watching that last act of Fuzz. :lol

(World's End is watching this conversation from the outside window as it rains.)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #37057 on: May 05, 2020, 12:15:12 AM »
I would give it to Hot Fuzz only because it's so ambitious :lol
每天生气

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37058 on: May 05, 2020, 12:40:14 AM »
Hot Fuzz has 5 Audio Commentary tracks, which still isn't enough tracks to cover how brilliant the film is.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37059 on: May 05, 2020, 02:25:58 AM »
I would give it to Hot Fuzz only because it's so ambitious :lol
I think it's Wright's best movie still.
I like it more than Scott Pilgrim, Baby D. and all the other of his i saw.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37060 on: May 05, 2020, 10:57:38 AM »
Never actually knew who directed it. Scott Pilgrim?  :leon The World's End?  :leon

I see I see. Guess I'll keep a tab on his next flick.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37061 on: May 05, 2020, 12:21:30 PM »

:jeb
dog

Tasty

« Reply #37062 on: May 05, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »
My friends and I still repeat "the greater good" if anyone uses the phrase during conversation :lol

Tasty

« Reply #37063 on: May 05, 2020, 04:08:18 PM »
This is the first I heard of a Peter Jackson ANOES.

Huh. Looking that up.

EDIT: it actually sounds really dope, and I like those early Jackson movies. Too bad they chose the worst in the series Freddy's Dead over it.

The franchise stole ideas from it for a long time too. Dreamworld, the fact that people need to fear him for him to be effective, etc.

Also, if you're down for an interesting read, the Nick Acosta Friday the 13th was pretty good.

I read Acosta's script and I disagree.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37064 on: May 05, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »
Ghost in the Shell (1995) – Revisiting this film for the first time in 7 or 8 years. Long enough that I forgot pretty much everything except bits of the climax and bits of the daytime chase. Though I’m not surprised I forgot a lot of it because with the many twists and turns and false flags the movie pulls in a very brief 80 minutes, it can become very easy to get confused and tangled up in this web of who done what and who is behind what.

You have to really focus in on every bit of little dialogue because if you miss a teeny bit, you might be left wondering about another plot point 30 minutes later. It’s not helped by the fact that you are dealing with terms and technology that isn’t part of our everyday life. And it might also be that I was viewing the Japanese version with English subtitles. It’s usually easier for the brain to comprehend dialogue when it’s in a language you understand regardless of the subtitles. You focus more on reading than allowing yourself to simply comprehend as the dialogue is delivered. Don’t remember what version I watched all those years ago (JPN or ENG dub I mean).

Like even now I’m still not exactly sure what the deal was with the Malles character (exiled general of Gavel) I understand the Minister of Foreign Affairs wanted him out so they could go on and deal with the new government, but even after rewatching the section leading up to the daytime chase and then rewatching the scene where Malles meets someone coming off a helicopter I still don’t really understand. And I viewed it 5 times to wrap my head around it (both of those bits). I wish the movie allowed itself to give a little more clarity. Perhaps adding 10 minutes to the running time to allow us to slow down and absorb info. Maybe letting some of the motivations be spoken about in a few more lines of dialogue instead of being so brief that if you missed one line or didn’t understand one line that you might be then full of questions as to who and what and why. Obviously I’m not talking about the actual deceptions that are part of the plot mind you. It’s not the end of the world. You roll with it. I mean our main cast is also not given the full picture most of the time. Chalk it up to the Puppet Master until told otherwise.

The camera work here is top notch. The daytime chase is amazing. Especially the little moments in the alleyway. The reflection off the water and such. So much character. The climax area and how that plays out is great. You can see how the Wichowski’s would be inspired by this. That iconic scene of Major pulling on *redacted spoiler*. Beautiful. Oh that reminds me. Great character design. Iconic once again.

Have to give credit to the music here too. It’s mostly not really on my mind at all, but the traditional female shrill vocal tracks stood out when used in the intro credits and I think right after the calm boat scene where we just take in the city. I suppose it reinforces the general location. I don’t know if the vocals are in Japanese themselves, but they sound Far East at least from a stereotypical standpoint. And the movie takes place in Japan. Then the music in the climax. That track is amazing. Super moody. Very distinct. Even having not seen this movie in forever, my ears went “oh yeah. This track.” It’s fantastic.

Of course, then you have the philosophy side of things the movie brings to the table. Existence and what is existence. For some reason I thought going into this rewatch that was going to be the part that would make my brain chug a little, but I thought the philosophical stuff was pretty clear in terms of what is being said. Not that I’m picking up on various symbolism or other things that are probably pointed out in film analyses and essays about that theme of the movie. I’m strictly talking about what the Major and Puppet Master say verbally. Visually I missed anything and everything I’m sure. Also some interesting ideas about identity tossed in here for good measure.

It’s a beautifully animated movie with some of the most iconic scenes in the medium. It’s easy to see why the film has endured after all this time. I just wish it allowed itself to breathe a little more at times as it has a lot it wants to deliver to us. But I suppose the movie is more about asking the bigger questions rather than giving the answers. I mean even the conclusion of what happened to who in what governmental department and the relations between Japan and Gavel isn’t really fully known except for the head of Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The last lines of the movie leave things open as well.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37065 on: May 05, 2020, 09:10:06 PM »
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War

wtf did I just watch - it was basically Endgame meets heavy metal

It also looks like its the end of the DCAMU which is a real shame.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37066 on: May 05, 2020, 09:46:42 PM »
I mean not really but I liked it.  They basically just took a match to the last decade of movies they have done. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37067 on: May 05, 2020, 09:56:28 PM »
No, the DCAMU is not the DCAU, there are stand-alone ones but these 15 are all shared universe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Animated_Movie_Universe

Pennywise

« Reply #37068 on: May 05, 2020, 09:56:59 PM »
Never actually knew who directed it. Scott Pilgrim?  :leon The World's End?  :leon

I see I see. Guess I'll keep a tab on his next flick.
Scott Pilgrim is alot better when you're familiar with the comics.

The World's End is the weakest of the cornetto trilogy (Shaun, Hot Fuzz, World's End), but still a good movie.
Hot Fuzz is perfection. I love Shaun and especially all the small nods towards horror classics like the inclusion of the Goblin OST and other stuff from the original Dawn of the Dead, but Hot Fuzz is just perfect.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37069 on: May 05, 2020, 11:15:46 PM »
Deep Blue Sea 2 was terrible - and the first one was one of my favorites as a kid.  One character's motivation is that we need hyper-intelligent sharks in order to prepare humanity for the upcoming quantum computer AI war.

Tasty

« Reply #37070 on: May 06, 2020, 12:15:40 AM »
The DC animated movies got really fucking dark for no reason to the point it took me out of the movies and felt bad. Flashpoint Paradox shows some kid deaths on screen (feels worse in movie form than comic, less abstract with voice actors and movement), and Gods and Monsters shows some overly brutal deaths IMO. I dunno, just cut away and shit, I don't need to see Batman TAS animation combined with graphic Snyder++ levels of gratuitous gore and violence...

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37071 on: May 06, 2020, 05:26:53 AM »
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War

wtf did I just watch - it was basically Endgame meets heavy metal
(Image removed from quote.)

It also looks like its the end of the DCAMU which is a real shame.

Terrible clothing choices. You don't need to wear the most tacky thing even if it's gore.
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #37072 on: May 06, 2020, 08:40:37 AM »

Korean Valerian

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37073 on: May 06, 2020, 11:25:28 AM »

Korean Valerian
Too gritty to function as a Valerian, but it still looks like fun sci fi.  :thinking

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37074 on: May 06, 2020, 10:00:51 PM »

This is what 4K was invented for.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37075 on: May 07, 2020, 01:41:10 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #37076 on: May 08, 2020, 09:35:53 AM »
What position is there to kind of be a director on set but not actually direct or shoot anything?

Assistant Director kinda?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37077 on: May 08, 2020, 10:07:32 AM »
What position is there to kind of be a director on set but not actually direct or shoot anything?

Assistant Director kinda?

1st Assistant Director yeah. In France it happens that films are codirected, generally to have someone assist some big name (a TV comic or a writer, say) who wants the credits but doesn't know the job or only does some parts of it. I think it's not possible in the US. Maybe if you have an overreaching DoP but directing actors is not really something they can do.

Maybe you could tweak the "production designer". Though my understand is that it's more of a super set design role and they're generally subservient to the director's vision. Though arguably Ken Adam on the classic Bond films was more important and a constant presence than the directors.

You can't really work around the director's chair if you have a strong vision of a story you want to tell in film form. There's a reason film shoots are, save some outliers, done on a "only one captain on the boat" model.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37078 on: May 10, 2020, 12:54:42 AM »
Icarus documentary was great. 

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37079 on: May 10, 2020, 12:27:08 PM »
Regarding the nic cage discussion a few pages back

Matchstick Man is still one of his best films