Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4131294 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:33:34 PM »
No Ichi  :-\
No Cheebs  :'(
Limited Solo cameos  :(

We can make it work though

Memento

Fuuuck what a brain buster. It took me a few minutes to "get" what was happening scene to scene, and from that point I absolutely enjoyed the film. You can watch it and guess/anticipate what's going to happen next which is very entertaining. And because of this almost puzzle like editing it has a lot of replay value; I can only watch the Sixth Sense a few times before getting bored with it

Only meh thing about the movie is the acting imo; the delivery of lines (well, in Pierce's case) seemed off, more reading than acting.

9/10

Lawrence of Arabia

If there's one thing I love it's a good epic movie, and LoA surpasses that to greatness. It's amazing on every level, with the cinematography especially standing out to me; omg everything looked beautiful and there are some fuck awesome shots. I had heard of TS Elliot before but never really knew much about him. This is a biopic that you don't finish watching and forget about: I wound up looking up the story and learning some cool stuff. But back to the movie - interesting how the film starts with Elliot...

spoilers for a fucking old movie
spoiler (click to show/hide)
dying such an ordinary death before going over his truly amazing life.
[close]

Another interesting aspect of the movie is the compare/contrast of the classical racism/supremest views of imperialist Britain - evident in all the military commanders - and Elliot's messianic complex.

10/10

Leon: The Professional

At the start of the film I kinda expected a typical overblown, exaggerated action flick but it's something entirely different. It reminded me of Heat in the sense that while it tries and succeeds at being more than an action film, it's not as good as it could/should have been, like something is missing. It's a story that's been told a billion times but done differently, like the Karate Kid with assassins or some shit. I actually cared about the characters involved, and the emotional aspect of the story isn't done too cheesy imo. Reno is best when just being himself, and while Portman didn't totally succeed at pulling off such an emotional performance (that's a hard task for any child actor) I thought she was believable, very likable. No pedo but that's the best she's looked in any movie

But fucking Gary Oldman stole the entire movie. What a fucking badass. He overacts a bit at times but overall he was great; reminded me of the Joker in TDK in the sense that everytime he's on camera you feel a sense of suspense, and don't know wtf he's gonna do.

8/10
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:01:55 PM by Great Rumbler »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:12:06 PM »
No pedo but that's the best she's looked in any movie

Go watch Closer, pedo.
AMC

Beezy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:17:29 PM »
American Gangster
Decent, but overrated.

Lucky Number Slevin
Loved it, underrated movie.

Deja Vu
Robin Thicke's wife is so sexy.

Bourne Identity
Expected it to suck, but it was really good.

...I don't really do reviews.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »
The last movies I saw in the theater (rarely rent movies) were:

Frozen River: Really well done film that was obviously made on a shoe-string budget. It was nice to see Indian reservation life portrayed in a film, even if it was even more depressing than what I experience at work on a daily basis. If this plays near you, it's worth watching.

Hamlet 2: What can I say other than "rock me sexy Jesus," "raped in the face" and "those Bible bangers can go suck a big bag of dicks"?
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:17:59 PM »
Beezy :bow
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
anyone who describes American Gangster as "decent but overrated" doesn't deserve props, daps, anything

smh

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »
home schooled kids watching movies they should've seen years ago

smh
野球

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:24:58 PM »
american gangster is slightly better than decent and definitely overrated

smh @ niccaz what give unforgiven 6/10 frontin like they know about cinema
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »
American Gangster 8/10 :bow

Didn't like the ending at all but overall it was...dope

Beezy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »
anyone who describes American Gangster as "decent but overrated" doesn't deserve props, daps, anything

smh
I tried to see this movie a week after it came out but all the showtimes up until midnight were sold out and the fucking cops wouldn't let anyone into the theater unless they already had a ticket that they got earlier/offline or something. Even if they were trying to see a different movie. They were literally pushing people and yelling at them to go across the street. Fuckin bullshit. The movie wasn't great enough for that type of madness.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 09:32:47 PM »
ah, so you're hatred of the film stems from your hatred of the police - no, don't call them cops Beezy, they're called the police. no wonder they shoot you jungle bunnies smh  >:(

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 09:34:23 PM »
uh oh, it's a nicca fight.  awwwwwww shoot nah
:)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 09:34:34 PM »
umm I watched Grizzly Man... wtf that guy was batshit insane

also watched Gremlins 2 again, fucking amazing film

and I watched this:

:-X it was pretty bizarre

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 09:38:52 PM »
uh oh, it's a distinguished black fellow fight.  awwwwwww shoot nah

I think we all know which nicca's got this fight wrapped up.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 09:42:53 PM »
The Love Guru

There are a couple funny jokes in the beginning of the movie (none of which involve Myers) but it's all downhill after that. Worst movie I've seen since Unforgiven

2/10

Beezy

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »
Smh, this house nicca actually watched The Love Guru. Leper his triflin ass.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »
my roommate rented it but yes, i watched most of it

Jessica Alba>>>Megan Good

she's got a great body but smh @ that ugly ass face

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »
Good picks.   Memento is a bit overrated, imo.  There were just too many holes in the plot.  For example,how does he remember that he has an amnesiac condition since that occurred after the injury?   
Still, I did found it quite enjoyable during the my first viewing. 

I just watched Black Snake Moan in 1080P.  The HD transfer looks amazing.  The film itself is a decent, laidback story about spiritual healing.  Christina Ricci gave a strong performance and bares her tits quite a lot.  Final Grade:B-, A- if you just want to see Ricci's tits.   

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »
Christina Ricci looks so dirty in that movie but for whatever reason I want to bone her so bad, preferably in the mud. Same with Brittnany Murphy in 8 Mile

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 10:15:28 PM »
PTU

It's pretty much like every other cop/gangster action movie that Johnnie To has made. Enjoyable with decent acting, but not particularly special.
dog

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »
Good picks.   Memento is a bit overrated, imo.  There were just too many holes in the plot.  For example,how does he remember that he has an amnesiac condition since that occurred after the injury?   
its not a plot hole :shh
[close]

and I vigorously disagree about the preceding opinion on PTU.  Its kinda brilliant, a cop noir with some very funny, bleak humor, and a plot that ties up like a Seinfeld episode.  And also, Simon Yam being more badass then usual.   :bow Johnnie To :bow2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 10:33:16 PM »
its not a plot hole :shh
[close]

and I vigorously disagree about the preceding opinion on PTU.  Its kinda brilliant, a cop noir with some very funny, bleak humor, and a plot that ties up like a Seinfeld episode.  And also, Simon Yam being more badass then usual.   :bow Johnnie To :bow2

I guess I've just seen way too many Johnnie To movies recently, a lot of them just kind of run together. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but it just doesn't stand out to me.

Lifeline was cool, though. Especially the fire at the end of the movie.
dog

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 10:55:10 PM »
I guess I've just seen way too many Johnnie To movies recently, a lot of them just kind of run together. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but it just doesn't stand out to me.

Lifeline was cool, though. Especially the fire at the end of the movie.
I'm just getting to know his filmography, and I haven't seen a bad film yet.  I just fugging love the guy.  Were I to rank his films of his I've seen I'd say it were like...

The Mission
PTU
Election
Exiled
Election 2 (aka Triad Election)
Triangle
Breaking News
Fulltime Killer
Running on Karma (worst of the lot, but still not all bad)

and I didn't mean to turn this into a Johnnie To thread derail.  I do apologize, but I'm just that in love with the man.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 12:43:26 AM »
I got a new TV so the first thing I watched was one of my favourite movies: The Ring (the US version).

I've seen it so many times but it's still fucking awesome.

10/10

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 12:45:54 AM »
Christina Ricci gave a strong performance and bares her tits quite a lot.  Final Grade:B-, A- if you just want to see Ricci's tits.   

Damn, I didn't know this.

Does Brittney Murphy show her tits in 8 Mile?
AMC

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 12:59:16 AM »
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

It's a shame that Sidney Lumet is all dead and shit, because that movie was the work of someone who still had a lot to say.  Great performances out of all the male actors- they did a good job conveying varying shades of alienation, despair and familial strife.  Of course, when you have Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke and Albert Finney you know you're gonna get good performances.  I thought that the female roles (such as they were) were pretty limited and didn't add much, kind of like in The Departed- except that this is a far better movie.  Of course, the fact that Marissa Tomei was pretty much naked in all of her scenes kind of makes up for that.

I give the movie a 9.0.  It's probably an 8.5 but gets a full extra half point for Marissa Tomei's titties.

yar

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 01:24:23 AM »
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

It's a shame that Sidney Lumet is all dead and shit, because that movie was the work of someone who still had a lot to say.  Great performances out of all the male actors- they did a good job conveying varying shades of alienation, despair and familial strife.  Of course, when you have Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke and Albert Finney you know you're gonna get good performances.  I thought that the female roles (such as they were) were pretty limited and didn't add much, kind of like in The Departed- except that this is a far better movie.  Of course, the fact that Marissa Tomei was pretty much naked in all of her scenes kind of makes up for that.

I give the movie a 9.0.  It's probably an 8.5 but gets a full extra half point for Marissa Tomei's titties.

Sidney Lumet, dead?  That's news to him.
But yeah, I agree, pretty good flick.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 01:30:17 AM »
Goddammit, I thought for sure he died in the past year.   :-\
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 01:58:11 AM »

Because they're really just stating the obvious, amirite?
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 02:56:12 AM »
Wanted
It was pretty fucking ridiculous for the entire movie, but not in a "get that shit out of here" way, more like "obviously that's impossible but it looks sooooo cool lol" way. It seemed way short, but if it had gone on for a lot longer it would have been taking liberties. The :o :o :o ending was awesome too. You can definitely see it being a movie that will date quickly though, probably more so than Matrix and friends.

7/10

pretty much as I led you to expect then?
vjj

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 03:36:47 AM »
Ocean's Twelve

Wow, what a shitty sequel to a brilliant heist movie. Nothing defends this flick it's like a parody of Ocean's Eleven.

5/10

Is Ocean't Thirteen any better?

yes but not by much
萌え~

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 03:42:48 AM »

Dollars to donuts says you're thinking of Sydney Pollack.

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
i always get them confused, too. :lol
zzz

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 11:49:20 AM »
The House Bunny

My girlfriend informed me over the weekend that she wanted to see The House Bunny.  I told her that I'd rather sodomize myself with a tree stump.  She started bitching about how we never get to see the movies she wants.  I told her that we barely see movies period and the last movie, The Dark Knight, we both wanted to go to.  She then said she will pay for my ticket.  I went but if and only if she drove.  I'm not going to turn down free shit and I wanted to nap so it worked out.

Then she started making various stops along the way, picking up three of her girlfriends.  We get there, about 5 minutes before the movie starts.  One girl said, "Oh no, we might not find a good seat."  I walk in and it is fucking dead except for literally four other people scattered amongst the empty theater.  One of them was already texting and as it turns out, would do nothing but text during the entire movie.  I know that is against etiquette but its the House Bunny.  Who the fuck cares.

My girlfriend and her friends wanted to sit up front.  I informed them that it was a dumb idea, that sitting in the middle-back would let you see the movie with the smallest amount of comfort.  They looked pissed but they went up anyway ::)  I got the middle seat and closed my eyes.

The House Bunny is what you think it is: shit.  Anna Faris, who is good looking but that fantasy is gone the second she opens her mouth, is a Playboy bunny who gets kicked out of the mansion.  Then she tries to make it on her own, where she is basically a housekeeper for these loser sorostitutes.  In short, these women find their cool and Faris finds her true meaning in life. 

There is barely a movie here.  I tried to take a nap but the soundtrack was blaring (all of the latest Top 40 hits as you can imagine) and the dialog was scratching-your-fingernails-on-the-blackboard annoying.

Upon leaving, my girlfriend apologized to me and trashed the movie for a good half hour.

1.5/10
🍆🍆

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »
I bet you got some good guilt sexings out of it though.  :hump
WDW

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »

Dollars to donuts says you're thinking of Sydney Pollack.

Yup, that's it.  Dammit!
yar

Beezy

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 01:03:20 AM »
OMGWTF?! Speed Racer is great! :o

Himu

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 01:05:41 AM »
BULLSHIT. IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD?!
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 01:20:56 AM »
Warning! IT GOOD

Himu

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 10:14:50 AM »
Lawrence of Arabia is good, but I don't think it's great either. By the time I finish watching the movie I am like, dead.

It's all about Barry Lyndon.

Best epic movie, of the ever.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
The Love Guru

There are a couple funny jokes in the beginning of the movie (none of which involve Myers) but it's all downhill after that. Worst movie I've seen since Unforgiven

2/10

smh
IYKYK

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »
Oh shit, that's it, I'm rewatching Videodrome tonight.
HLR

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 12:49:43 PM »
what gondry needs is someone who's a little more grounded in reality to work with. i don't think his stuff works when he writes AND directs AND produces. and i LOVE gondry.

Upon walking out of the theater after seeing The Science of Sleep, I remarked to my wife that "Gondry should stick to directing and let other people write for him, because he clearly doesn't know how write a coherent script."
野球

Himu

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 01:00:39 PM »
Shockingly? Jarosh, that really hurts.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2008, 04:33:06 PM »
Oh shit, that's it, I'm rewatching Videodrome tonight.

Videodrome is an awesome movie. I think I'd have to take Scanners over it though as far as Cronenberg films go, for being a bit more coherent and focused. Plus, Scanners had Michael Ironside.

But you really can't go wrong with either. Cronenberg needs to go back to scifi body-horror at least one more time...
dog

Beezy

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »
Idiocracy was :lol

Saw Shoot Em Up in HD last night. How can one movie own so much? :bow

Just watched I Am Legend for the first time. Turned out better than I expected. Samantha :(

Up next, Rambo!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 04:06:45 PM by Beezy »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »
Dog Day Afternoon

I really liked it although it seemed too long, and featured some scenes that just go on forever wtf. But Pacino's performance was amazing, as well Cazale's. One thing that jumped out at me was how amazing the camera work was throughout the film, especially in the beginning. It reminded me of Michael Mann's style, and not just because it was a bank robbery scene. Just the way the camera was frantically pursuing the action, how the characters held their weapons, etc.

Well written script as well; pretty funny at times

9/10

The Deer Hunter

Sad movie about the horrors of war. There are so many "loss of innocence" Vietnam movies but I thought this separated itself by focusing more on how war can effect a community, not just those who serve. A looot of time is spent developing characters/community - hell, this movie has the longest and most extravagant wedding scene I've ever seen. The actual Vietnam scenes are shorter but really pack an emotional punch, and the ending is just  :(

Great, great performances all around, but De Niro really impressed me; definitely one of his top top performances imo (up there with Raging Bull and Taxi Driver). And Christopher Walken was fucking pimpin as a young man. I did not know that  :o

8/10

Munich

Surprisingly serious Spielberg movie about the degradation of humanity and faith. He really brings it to life with some fluid, impressive shots as well as a bit of conscious humor. I knew a bit about the Munich incident but this certainly makes me want to read the book the film is based on as well as dig deeper into the story. The conflict in of itself is a series of circular violence which gets more bloody with each turn, and it's interesting that the film doesn't fully condemn or praise either the Israelis, the Palestinians or the Arabs. I've also got to give the movie props/daps for bringing a rather interesting thought to my head: does John McCain suffer PTSD Vietnam flashbacks while fucking Cindy? poooooow  :-\

I'm not a fan of Bana, and the person who plays his wife was rather meh, but it features a pretty awesome supporting cast - including Daniel Craig fucking gentiles up.

8/10

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »
I saw Child's Play. Classic movie. 10/10
fat

Beezy

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2008, 08:04:16 PM »
:bow :bow :bow Rambo :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
uhh which one

Oblivion

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »
Idiocracy was :lol

Idiocracy is like the best comedy from the last 10 years. Judd Apatow needs to take notes.

Beezy

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2008, 08:31:53 PM »
uhh which one
The latest one, duh. Who hasn't seen the others?

drew

• sy
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2008, 08:34:24 PM »
watched Mirrors on joox.

The bath scene was some legitimately disturbing shit.

Phoenix Dark

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »
What a loser.
fat

Himu

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »
SMH.

The new Rambo is manliness incarnate.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2008, 08:53:32 PM »
uhh which one

me
...why not?

I've seen bits and pieces of all of them, on TV. I've just never sat down and watched an entire old Rambo movie. I saw the new one which was ok

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »
uhh which one

me
...why not?

I've seen bits and pieces of all of them, on TV. I've just never sat down and watched an entire old Rambo movie. I saw the new one which was ok

>:(

:)

drew

• sy
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2008, 09:12:41 PM »
all the good parts were in the trailer