Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4131016 times)

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »
all the good parts were in the trailer

i agree with this
AMC

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »
all the good parts were in the trailer

i agree with this

Pretty much. Plus the way the action is shot is kinda laughable; I'm talking about the increase in fps or whatever. Especially when Chappelle kills that dude with the rock  :lol

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »
saw the dark knight in a theater today

pretty late I know (about 10 people in the audience total), but it was pretty good

liked the joker and the ever changing story about his scars
萌え~

Beezy

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »
Iron Man owns. I wish I saw this in theaters. :(

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
This thread deserves a bump considering the return of Cheebs

Million Dollar Baby

I can't say I'm a fan of Eastwood directed movies but I expected this to be a pretty good movie; seemed right up my alley honestly. In reality it's one of the worst films I've seen in a long, long time. It's pedestrian in every way: the directing/shots aren't interesting, the script is horrible, the acting is quite average, etc. It's a run of the mill sentimental story of an up and coming boxer, the hardened trainer with a sad past who doesn't want to work with her, etc. And I like Forrest Gump so it's not like I hate these types of movies, it's just that it's so poorly put together.

Many of the characters feel like caricatures: the aggressive black boxer, his toady Hispanic friend, the stereotypical southern distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, etc. There's a part in the movie where the southern dude addresses Morgan Freeman as a n*gger while explaining that he's not racist. It struck me as a horribly forced scene that could have been done so much better, more subtle instead of in-your-face.

The boxing parts are actually interesting, and once Swank starts rising in the ranks the movie gets interesting. But all that momentum is stopped towards the end with a truly laughable twist (literally lol). I figured the movie would simply have Swank get a title shot, lose, quit boxing forever, then have Morgan Freeman inspire her to give it one last chance, at which point she'd obviously win and the movie would end. Typical inspirational ending right? Instead it attempts to manufacture tears in the worst way possible. I didn't feel anything for the characters.

The acting is meh all around. Didn't Swank get an oscar for her performance? Her emotional range teeters between being chipper/excited and morose/serious. Eastwood is wooden, and the scenes where he does show some emotional range are quick shots. And Morgan Freeman is Morgan Freeman.

4/10

Next up: What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Man, PD hates Clint Eastwood directed movies. PD you should check out one of his earlier directorial efforts. The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2008, 10:38:08 PM »
It wasn't one of Clint Eastwood's better movies. I preferred Cinderella Man and A Beautiful Mind.
©@©™

Rman

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2008, 10:41:11 PM »
WTF, PD.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2008, 10:43:40 PM »
It wasn't one of Clint Eastwood's better movies. I preferred Cinderella Man and A Beautiful Mind.

Indeed, although I'm not much of a Cinderella Man fan after seeing Raging Bull.

fuck haters, Beautiful Mind 8/10 :bow

Cheebs

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2008, 10:46:13 PM »

Indeed, although I'm not much of a Cinderella Man fan after seeing Raging Bull.

fuck haters, Beautiful Mind 8/10 :bow
Let's be fair to Ron Howard here, his new film out around christmas, Frost/Nixon, looks damn solid.

Rman

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »
I thought Million Dollar Baby was fantastic.  It was the movie of the year for me.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2008, 11:02:42 PM »
I just couldn't buy it, and the ending really fucked any interest I had in it.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2008, 11:20:45 PM »
Even though I loved the first two films, I only got around to watching X-Men 3 the other day.  Holy fuck it's awesome.  I've only seen it once but I think it might be my favourite of the three.

I love how they pushed the power of the mutants to the max in this one.  Overall, it's just an all-round good ride.

Cheebs

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »
Even though I loved the first two films, I only got around to watching X-Men 3 the other day.  Holy fuck it's awesome.  I've only seen it once but I think it might be my favourite of the three.

I love how they pushed the power of the mutants to the max in this one.  Overall, it's just an all-round good ride.
you can't be serious.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »
X-Men 3 made me pine for better comic book movies. Like the Fantastic Four.  :-\
©@©™

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2008, 11:39:23 PM »
I'm deadly serious.  It was great.

I'm not into over-analysing.  It was fun and I enjoyed it.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2008, 12:22:02 AM »
yeah, Million Dollar Baby is painfully earnest, its like a film that time-warped into present day from 35 years ago, but if you buy into it, if you check your cynicism at the door, as I did, I very much enjoyed it.

Sweeney Todd

I waited to see this until a HD version was available to me, and I'm glad I did (damn good production design).  I've never seen the stage show, but lots of reviews for the film couldn't get over the differences, I thought it was done so well that I could easily imagine it being a wholly original creation.  I loved how it had a mean streak a mile wide and lots of very macabe, dark humor, I quite enjoyed the film, its easily Burton's career best since Ed Wood.  Its also perfectly cast (of course, Alan Rickman is always perfectly cast, isn't he?) and just a whole lotta fun overall.  There hasn't been a musical straight men could enjoy this much since Rocky IV.

Cheebs

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2008, 12:43:34 AM »
I'm deadly serious.  It was great.

I'm not into over-analysing.  It was fun and I enjoyed it.
Next to Superman IV and Batman & Robin it is probably the worst super hero movie ever. Even fa  :(ntastic four is slightly above it. X-Men 3 was so bad it was offensive. Especially after the absolutely fantastic X-Men 2.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2008, 12:56:18 AM »
Eh, I loved all the X-Men movies.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
Milkman is wrong, Quantum of Solace is pretty awesome. That is all.  :-*

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2008, 05:45:54 PM »
Son of Rambow - Great little flick, might be a bit too sappy towards the end for the jaded, but a fair bit of fun. Worth as look.

Postal - Yup. I watched it. I'll never be clean again. A friend and I who enjoy crappy movies gave it a rent, he went to bed about  halfway through it, I drank as much alcohol as I could consume and powered through the rest of it. This one genuinely gives bad movies a bad name.
fek

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Pretty good movie, and pretty sad. Great performance by Johnny Depp as the man of the house trying to keep his dysfunctional family afloat without being sunk by the massive responsibility. I really identified with him as an older brother, although obviously I've never faced challenges nearly as large. My eyes watered the most during the scene where he's patching his handicapped brother Artie (Di Caprio) up while telling him he won't let anyone hurt him "because I'm Gilbert."  :'(

speaking of which, I really liked Di Caprio, especially his more subdued, subtle instances as opposed to the Full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow parts. Regardless it was a solid, convincing performance. My favorite scene occurs shortly after Gilbert loses his cool and slaps his brother around. Gilbert walks up to him to apologize, and Artie seems receptive initially before recoiling, like he faintly remembers what Gilbert did to him and is acting out of defensive instinct. And then when he sees he won't be hurt again they hug  :'( :'(

Also the film manages to make me want Juliette Lewis...wtf. Sometimes she's criminally ugly but other times...I dunno, it's sexually confusing. My walls are crashing down or something   :'( :'( :'(

I didn't like the ending, which seemed kinda abrupt but overall it's a good movie full of great performances

8/10
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:47:11 PM by Thanks But No Thanks »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2008, 10:27:58 PM »
Punch Drunk Love

At times hilarious, at times sad. Really beautiful film that went over my head to a certain degree
http://www.a2pcinema.com/archive/PDL/symbolism.htm 

I've never been a Sandler fan but he wasn't bad here, although imo there was a lack of subtlety in the performance that was a problem at times. Regardless he brought an interesting character to life, one which reminds me of myself a bit.

8/10

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2008, 10:58:51 PM »
Mongols- What a disappointment. Lousy acting. Mystic-religious rambling. Mongols scared of lightening. No Temudjin killing his brother as a boy. On the other hand the scenery was great and Jamukha was a badass.  5/10

Cheebs

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2008, 11:02:39 PM »
Punch Drunk Love

At times hilarious, at times sad. Really beautiful film that went over my head to a certain degree
http://www.a2pcinema.com/archive/PDL/symbolism.htm 

I've never been a Sandler fan but he wasn't bad here, although imo there was a lack of subtlety in the performance that was a problem at times. Regardless he brought an interesting character to life, one which reminds me of myself a bit.

8/10

Watch Boogie Nights, it seems like your type of PT Anderson movie. And after that Magnolia since you love Tom Cruise.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2008, 01:55:05 AM »
Just watched Delicatessen.  Pretty interesting and heart warming take on a goofy post-apocalyptic France.  and as with all his movies, great use of color and awesome cinematography.  I forget his name...same guy who made Amelie and City of Lost Children. 

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2008, 03:25:58 PM »
Watched Enchanted.

God that movie was really nice. Made me feel really good. And Amy Adams is really pretty. She had this strange distance stare with wide eyes that I found very attractive.
nat

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »
I saw Slumdog Millionaire on Friday night, what a beautiful, brilliant film.
野球

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2008, 08:45:32 AM »
Don't Look Know- supposed to be a classic horror film in the ghost genre.  couldn't get into it.  thought it was excellent until the end.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »
Don't Look Know- supposed to be a classic horror film in the ghost genre.  couldn't get into it.  thought it was excellent until the end.

I remember hearing about that movie on some A&E 100 scariest movies show. It looked so good but the show spoiled the ending, thus killing my interest in seeing it.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
that's stupid of A&E

edit: watch The Changeling with George C Scott

Tonya

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2008, 09:12:53 AM »
Escape From New York - pretty decent old gang warfare dystopia movie.  John Carpenter rules, though this wasn't quite as good as The Thing or Big Trouble in Little China.  Funny to see just how much Kojima lifted- not just Snake's name, but the font on the computers/radar screens, similar music, lots of lines, etc. completely shameless.  but no, he's teh genius storyteller. 

Mad Max - this is so different from Thunderdome (the only MM movie I had seen.) It doesn't really feel post-apocalyptic, it just feels like they're in the Australian backcountry :lol  Pretty entertaining so far. 

I like old movies with insane villains.  (see also: Dirty Harry, The Warriors.)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2008, 11:22:56 AM »
American Gangster

I bought the DVD some time ago (3 Disc Limited Edition) and didn't watch it for months.  Then I watched it one time, while getting virtually no sleep the previous night, so I fell asleep during the movie.  When moving DVDs around to catalog my possessions (insurance), I forgot that I even owned the movie.  So I decided to pop it in.

With Crowe, Washington, and Scott, I expected better than this.  It is definitely an epic and I felt like Denzel and Russell did a good job.  It is just that the story kind of sucked.  Listening to a lot of Cash Money, No Limit, and other Southern Rap, I've already heard about this lifestyle, almost to the point where it becomes parody.  American Gangster I felt continued this parody.  A lot of glorification of running heroin through New England but Scott tried to make you look at the other side, but only briefly.

The movie was not really clever but "gangsta clever."  Which means a lot of sayings getting tossed around and surprise, surprise, are often the ones who break the saying as things unravel.  When T.I. showed up, I instantly hated him.  I did like the scene dealing with the Kuomintang and Crowe's various dealings with the corrupt cops.  I just felt like that for all the talent involved in the movie, I expected it to be a little better than a typical Master P or Baby track that I've listen to and laughed at for so many disposable albums, from the thrills of the drug game, to talking to a mother who pretends that everything is going fine but somehow knows all along.  This would be a powerful performance if I didn't hear it so many times listening to rap albums.

I like Denzel and I like Ridley.  The movie was good, not great.  Hearing Jay-Z pretend to be Frank Lucas almost made it worth the existence alone.  Why did Jay-Z ever come back anyway?  He's loaded and probably bangs Beyonce every night, which he should get down on his knees and pray that he hits it despite being comically ugly, and his two comeback albums suck ass.  TBH I haven't heard Blueprint 3 but I don't have high hopes.  I felt that Training Day was a superior effort.  The movie is pretty much forgotten now.

6/10
🍆🍆

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2008, 11:30:29 AM »
Hot Fuzz A+ 10/10
fat

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2008, 01:37:34 PM »
Australia.
CBG

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »
wild homo
fat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2008, 05:05:57 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »
Mad Max - this is so different from Thunderdome (the only MM movie I had seen.) It doesn't really feel post-apocalyptic, it just feels like they're in the Australian backcountry :lol  Pretty entertaining so far. 

You need to watch Road Warrior. It's awesome, and it has the homotastic Lord Humongous and his bloodthirsty band of gay raiders.
©@©™

Cheebs

« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Saw Rachel Getting Married again before it left theaters. Was rather shocked, it has been playing at my local art house theater since Ocotober and it was still packed. Still my favorite movie of 2008 so far. Best Jonathan Demme movie since Silence of the Lambs.

« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2008, 11:35:21 PM »
Saw Rachel Getting Married again before it left theaters. Was rather shocked, it has been playing at my local art house theater since Ocotober and it was still packed. Still my favorite movie of 2008 so far. Best Jonathan Demme movie since Silence of the Lambs.

I saw this back in October, great film. I'm glad to see that someone else on the Bore bothered to see it.
野球

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »

You need to watch Road Warrior. It's awesome, and it has the homotastic Lord Humongous and his bloodthirsty band of gay raiders.

Totally, I'm going for the whole trilogy.

Watched The Doom Generation last night.  My first Greg Araki film and I was pretty caught off guard!  I can't say much about the plot, but the dialogue was amazing.  So many good quotes, so much 90s nostalgia, complete with Perry Farrell cameo.  Probably the freakiest sexual coming of age story I've seen and very abstract too. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2008, 03:53:39 PM »
Eh, I loved all the X-Men movies.

Ya don't let these fuckers tell you different.  Xmen 2 was the best super hero movie ever and 3 doesn't hold a candle to it, but it's still a good movie with some problems. 

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2008, 05:01:46 PM »
Rush Hour 3

The dilemma.  I love, love, love, and am totally gay for Jackie Chan.  However, his batting average here in America is not so great.  So while I greatly anticipate every film he makes, I'm also somewhat wary of them.  This includes his more recent Hong Kong films as well (although I am pretty psyched for his forthcoming Chinese immigrant in Japan flick, a dark drama with Ken Wantanabe).  Rush Hour 2 was pretty damn awful, so I was in no hurry to see his latest Rattner collaboration (I wish to abstain from the X-Men 3 debate), but watching it a year and change later, with ultra-lowered expectations, and a really good looking Blu-Ray, it was surprisingly painless.  Sure, at best its barely passable, Jackie gives his worst english language performance in years (the man just looks board, listless), and a noticeably puffier Chris Tucker proves exactly why its a good thing he only makes one movie every six years.  There's other negatives I can cover, but the film on the whole is well paced (hell, its only 90 minutes) and not boring.  There's some semi-decent action scenes and some jokes that were worth a mild chuckle.  I didn't hate the movie, I'm ambivalent towards it.  That's a big dang improvement over its predecessor.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »
Rush hour 2 wasn't bad.  3 was horrid though.  Really really bad. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »
Traffic

Great movie that examines the war on drugs from nearly every possible angle. I thought it was uncompromising like a hard hitting documentary, but with hotter chicks omg. Ensemble casts don't always pan out but I was impressed by most of the roles here, especially Del Toro.

The exaggerated color was annoying at times but I liked the relationship it had with the film; Mexico being this orangish red, ground zero for the drug trade while it was if parts of the US were blue with disease, suffering, and indifference (the blue tone was not only present in urban areas destroyed by drugs but also in Washington). The problem is truly a vicious cycle and the movie kept me so interested I wanted more (it's pretty long too).

8/10

Mean Streets

It struck me as a very experimental film with Scorsese feeling his way through the material, trying new things - some of which he'd master later on. Lots of his movies really bring New York to life as a character, and imo Mean Streets accomplished this the best. It's not a movie about vet gangsters, but instead a group of fuck ups on the outside looking in. Especially Keital's character, who's uncle is a big mob boss and expects him to leave his friends/lover and join the business. He seems to walk a tight line, not really sure which way to turn or how far to go. Scorsese brings Keital's spiritual, business, and personal conflicts to life with a variety of great shots and ideas; some work better than others, and some just left me puzzled like the surreal sex scene (he's looking at her through the window then bam, he's in her room). Also the pacing is a bit off at times, with long periods of time focusing on one story while seemingly forgetting others

But what really blew me away was De Niro's performance, which is fuck awesome. This isn't simply a Pacino-esque unhinged type performance: De Niro does anything and everything to bring the character alive. The range is great. Everybody knows people who seemingly don't give a fuck about anything, and De Niro just hits it out the park. Overall it struck me as the type of movie I'd enjoy more and more with each viewing.

8/10

« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2008, 09:04:04 PM »
Amadeus Director's Cut - F. Murray Abraham is incredible in this. Prior to this I've only know him for supporting roles (Scarface) and his abridged reading of Interview With the Vampire (which is actually quite good).

Zack & Miri Make A Porno - There is some choice casting in this, and it delivers the laughs, but it seems like Smith is regressing as a filmmaker. What a strange adolescent fantasy to base a romantic comedy on.The tender moments seem forced and out of place.
}Ö{

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »
Watched The Doom Generation last night.  My first Greg Araki film and I was pretty caught off guard!  I can't say much about the plot, but the dialogue was amazing.  So many good quotes, so much 90s nostalgia, complete with Perry Farrell cameo.  Probably the freakiest sexual coming of age story I've seen and very abstract too. 
whoa. first? next up: "mysterious skin". go go go.

Next is Nowhere, then Mysterious Skin.

« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »

Totally, I'm going for the whole trilogy.

I remember watching a double feature of Doom Generation and Trainspotting back in high school with some friends. A few them didn't speak to me for quite a while after that night.  :lol
野球

Jansen

« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2008, 11:52:39 PM »
the darjeeling limited

horrible fucking movie that solidifies wes anderson as a fuckin hack.

oh and that natalie portman is unattractive.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2008, 12:05:46 AM »
Stop Making Sense - So amazing.
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride - Hunter S. Thompson has never been so boring
Tommy - Shit. I had no clue wtf was going on the entire movie.
loudQUIETloud - Amazing. <3 the Pixies.
USA

Greatness Gone

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2008, 04:08:55 AM »
Factory Girl

Sienna Miller was great, but something about Guy Pearce felt really off. Could be what he was going for because Warhol was a sort of a freak. Alright movie.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »
Transporter 2

Even more over the top than the first which is fine - I had a great laugh.  Not as much hand to hand as Transport 1 if I remember right, but one particular fight scene involving a fire hose is very inventive and downright awesome.  Psycho killer bitch was awesome, but her last scene was too short.  Transporter 1 was a 10/10 for me, but this one was still pretty damn entertaining so 8/10.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »
just finished Hellboy II: the golden army

the cgi is :o :o

pretty decent movie like the first I think, only thing missing is abes old voice, pretty sure its different now.
萌え~

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »
pretty decent movie like the first I think, only thing missing is abes old voice, pretty sure its different now.
Pretty damn awesome flick, I quite agree.  I actually liked it much better then the first film, it was a fair bit breezier, more lighthearted, more fun.  And yes, the voice is different, that's actually Doug Jones' voice, the guy who always was playing Abe Saipen underneath the suit (and the faun in Pan's Labyrinth for that matter).  Unlike the previous film where Niles Crane from Fraiser was the fish-dude's voice.

Johnny Mnemonic

Its way worse then I remembered it being.  With deliberately (it had to be) ugly set design and makeup/costumes, a whole shitload of bad, bad, bad acting (seriously, Dolph fucking Lundgren gave the best performance in the film, I'm not joking), and general air of suckitude throughout.  It is still somewhat fun to watch a clumsily predicted vision of the future from 1995 in 2008, but still, there's very little entertainment value to be had here, even for camp value.  The aforementioned small dollop of fun comes from Lundgren's unhinged Jesus-figure/hitman and the laughably inept action scenes and special effects (90's era CGI hasn't aged well).  But still, for the most part, a painful experience.

Graded: D

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »
I just watched that again on Space today, lol.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2008, 07:47:53 PM »
All the Kings Men

really good. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »

Yeah, Road Warrior and Thunderdome has a much different feel than the first movie. It's believed that in Mad Max the world was just in sharp decline, but that the actual oil war depicted at the beginning of the Road Warrior actually happened between the first and second movie, hence the big shift.

Also, make sure you check out Road Warrior sometime, it's really awesome and my favorite of the three.
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
transporter 3 (my parents pick) - not as horrid as i feared.  jason stratham rode a bmx bike through a sweat shop to iggy and the stooges "i wanna be a dog"

escape from hong kong island.  lots of culture specific satire which i undestood but didn't really appreciate as i'm not really from there.
Tonya

Robo

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »
I finally saw I'm Not There over the weekend.  I thought it was a fantastic representation of Dylan's life and career, choosing to highlight legend rather than explicit fact, sequenced in a manner that befits his mid-60's songwriting.  In a way, it intentionally parallels a chief complaint of Dylan's work amongst laymans: it doesn't make any sense. 

Nitpicking, I only really had a problem with the way it handles documented reality, like some of the interactions that Cate Blanchett's characterization has with various reporters, and the "Royal Albert Hall" concert, footage of which is now widely available and far more interesting and entertaining in truth than in the fictional representation.  In an effort to stay far away from becoming a biopic, certain events are actually dulled down from reality simply to maintain fiction; the exact opposite procedure of nearly all reality-based biopics.

What I took away from it most: we desperately need an Allen Ginsberg biopic with David Cross.
obo

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »
Tropic Thunder

Wow, all the best parts were in the trailer, and even they weren't particularly funny in the movie's context (little kid stabbing Stiller as he ran across the bridge for instance). I chuckled a couple times, never busted out laughing. I like Jack Black but I have no idea why he was in this movie. It's like they gave him no lines and said "just go crazy dude." Cruise was also...odd. I dunno, that angle just didn't work. Downy Jr was the only person in the movie who lit up the screen

5/10 very disappointing