Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082670 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12060 on: December 04, 2015, 07:16:42 AM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/25-best-tv-shows-of-2015-20151202/mr-robot-usa-20151202

Mr. Robot made the top of their best-of list. Fargo's #7. I gotta start watching more TV...?

kick51

« Reply #12061 on: December 04, 2015, 08:26:42 AM »
latest episode of Fargo was fucking ridiculous.  Best episode of TV I've seen since Breaking Bad for sure.

I haven't been quite as into it as other people up to this point, but that last episode really tied everything together. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12062 on: December 04, 2015, 12:47:09 PM »
I wonder what people with a casual familiarity with Batman, maybe from the films only, make of Gotham. There's so much completely random fan service that gets glossed over in it that just has to come off as something batshit crazy and making no sense.

Wait, I've consumed almost every form of Batman mythos and it's still batshit crazy and makes no sense. I just catch more of the backstories and references that go unexplained every week. It will turn around, it has to! Plus, they promised the Court of Owls, I can't bail out before then!

Also, I feel horrible that I didn't know Krysten Ritter was Jessica Jones. She was ungodly in Don't Trust the Bitch and I owe it to her to watch.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12063 on: December 04, 2015, 01:47:35 PM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/25-best-tv-shows-of-2015-20151202/mr-robot-usa-20151202

Mr. Robot made the top of their best-of list. Fargo's #7. I gotta start watching more TV...?

Bojack above Rick and Morty :lol no

benjipwns

« Reply #12064 on: December 04, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »
I already watched that. I have a high tolerance for garbage. (Though I thought Birds of Prey wasn't actually that bad considering. Live-action Comic Book TV had a really bad run until Arrow...)

There's some amusing stuff, it's just so bad version of Jim Gordon heavy that it feels oppressive in a way that I hate him more than everyone else. Also, the Bruce Wayne actor has really found himself this year, he's hilarious.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12065 on: December 04, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
About Gotham's most recent episode could someone please explain to me

spoiler (click to show/hide)
what the fuck Silver St. Cloud talking about an encounter with a mind reading dolphin had to do with anything? Is there some backstory for Silver involving mind-reading dolphins that I'm unaware of (the "random fan service that gets glossed over") or was it just another in a long line of ridiculous scenes in this ridiculous show?
[close]
WDW

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #12066 on: December 04, 2015, 09:11:12 PM »

definitely watch mr. robot if you haven't already.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #12067 on: December 04, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »

Mad Men #2 GTFOH are you kidding me. Yeah, the show was great, but that last season was not.

Gotta watch Mr. Robot, I guess.
AMC

benjipwns

« Reply #12068 on: December 04, 2015, 09:54:41 PM »
About Gotham's most recent episode could someone please explain to me

what the fuck Silver St. Cloud talking about an encounter with a mind reading dolphin had to do with anything? Is there some backstory for Silver involving mind-reading dolphins that I'm unaware of (the "random fan service that gets glossed over") or was it just another in a long line of ridiculous scenes in this ridiculous show?
[close]
No, that's just the show's amazing and deep dialogue.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #12069 on: December 04, 2015, 10:32:24 PM »

Maybe questionable list but not going to argue because it's a fucking magazine/internet list.

You bitches should be watching Halt and Catch Fire though. Season 2 was probably the best show going over the past year.
___

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12070 on: December 05, 2015, 05:16:47 AM »
The Knick's latest episode
 :delicious

All the shit is hitting the fan at once.

EDIT: The Knick not being in that top 25 list
 :crazy

OH!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12071 on: December 05, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »

definitely watch mr. robot if you haven't already.

Cormacaroni was raving about it, and nicely pointed out that Amazon's recently launched (last month) Prime Streaming Video service in Japan has all the episodes. I've watched the first two. It's good.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12072 on: December 07, 2015, 10:50:22 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12073 on: December 08, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12074 on: December 08, 2015, 11:42:21 PM »
Holy shit shield mid season finally was fucking great

this is really the best prime time show in a very long time. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12075 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:27 PM »
I'm just now watching House of Cards.  Almost done with the first season.  I always do a sensible chuckle when someone decides to act morally, because it means they're going to get fucked over somehow.

Finished all three seasons.  The first season was great, the second season was getting to be pretty grating with the constant scheming, and the third season jumped the shark when:

Claire denounced Petkov after Corrigan hung himself.  For people known to be cold and calculating, this season has been full of instances where everyone seems to act recklessly.  Not just Frank and Claire, everybody.
[close]

Now it's pretty much a parody of its first season.  It's still a decent show but there have been dips in quality on a season by season progression.
🍆🍆

Bebpo

« Reply #12076 on: December 12, 2015, 04:36:26 AM »
Finished Twelve Monkeys S1 - Uhhh, I totally thought this was just supposed to be one season?   :-\  You can't do a time travel paradox show where everything's supposed to be fit together unless you write it with a specific end in mind.  If you write it for more than one season you risk that the show gets cancelled and then the whole show is a goddamn waste because the story never connects the start to the finish and it's a non-story.  Luckily I see they got picked up for a season 2, but without knowing whether S2 will conclude the whole thing it's like why bother because what if it's written for 3 seasons and then the show gets canned in S2.

Also the show was just sort of ok, lots of dumb stuff, but was pretty entertaining.  At 13eps it really felt like they were stretching out a 1 season storyline because along the way there'd be these 1-2 ep side adventures that felt like filler and you were just waiting to get back to the main plot.  Really not confident they know what they're doing.  I guess I'll bail out at this point and wait until the show either finishes or is cancelled and then decide if I wanna jump back in.  I was definitely expecting more out of the final couple of eps considering it seemed like a 1 season show and there were still a few mysteries that needed revealing.  Also around ep10 or so there's a plot twist that makes you think you can put the whole story together and it could have easily been that way and ended the show in 3 more eps worth of story, but instead they decided to do a setup for S2.  Wouldn't recommend it at this point unless you love time travel shows.

mormapope

« Reply #12077 on: December 12, 2015, 05:37:53 AM »
Latest Knick episode is cold blooded. Gallinger is at his max when it comes to villain levels.
OH!

Beezy

« Reply #12078 on: December 12, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
Finished Master of None last night. I honestly didn't expect it to be as great as it is.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12079 on: December 12, 2015, 01:56:22 PM »
"You don't get this hard unless it's real."

Neon Joe is amazing

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12080 on: December 12, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »
Peep Show series 9 has been amazing so far

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #12081 on: December 12, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
Nathan For You got picked up for a 4th season.

Holy shit at the season finale. The guy they featured could have easily been a GAFer.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12082 on: December 12, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »
Netflix launched Ray Donovan automatically after viewing Fargo.

Such trash :neogaf
A stew of every cliché under the sun.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12083 on: December 12, 2015, 08:23:43 PM »
Liev Schreiber is dreamy though

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12084 on: December 13, 2015, 04:27:12 AM »
Otherwise Fargo was pretty decent. I'm curious to see how fleshed out the conclusion will be, especially regarding the most batshit stuff.
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #12085 on: December 13, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Modern Family is a pretty funny show.

It is funny but I can only take it in relatively small doses. Like watch one episode and stop. If I watch any more in a row the formula and general sameness of every episode will tend to grind on me to the point that I hate it.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12086 on: December 13, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »
Wow what an old quote haha. Yeah it's definitely lost something over the seasons. For a "family" sitcom now I like Life in Pieces
WDW

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12087 on: December 14, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
Wow what an old quote haha. Yeah it's definitely lost something over the seasons. For a "family" sitcom now I like Life in Pieces

LOL. I must have clicked on an old page and not realized it when I quoted it assuming it was a current page. Shows how much I pay attention.

:doge

helios

« Reply #12088 on: December 14, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
Nathan For You got picked up for a 4th season.

Holy shit at the season finale. The guy they featured could have easily been a GAFer.

That was a great episode. Especially the ending.

"Yes."

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
WDW

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12090 on: December 17, 2015, 03:40:27 AM »
Well, Fargo ended on an anticlimatic note. Not a big fan of what they imply about Hanzee character, totally unnecessary and seemed very artificial. It is a bit of a mixed bag and I am not sure I feel like there was a ton of closure.
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12091 on: December 18, 2015, 02:25:28 PM »
Finished Mr. Robot.

I really liked it. I had heard that alot of people were mixed or downright didn't like the last portion of the season but that wasn't the case for me.

Now like most things, I don't think it is a concept that will work well for season after season after season of material but the first season was enjoyable for me and I really liked the ride and seeing where it was going. Some real great music selections and editing also.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #12092 on: December 18, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Finished Mr. Robot.

I really liked it. I had heard that alot of people were mixed or downright didn't like the last portion of the season but that wasn't the case for me.

Now like most things, I don't think it is a concept that will work well for season after season after season of material but the first season was enjoyable for me and I really liked the ride and seeing where it was going. Some real great music selections and editing also.

I think I remember the showrunner saying it's locked at three seasons and USA is on-board with not doing more after that. 

Glad you liked it.  It really is a giant love letter to David Fincher movies in some ways, both the good and the bad, and that will definitely turn some people off.  I like how the major plot-twist is telegraphed from episode one but each episode takes turns that you genuinely don't see coming. 

Also they are really lucky to have found Rami Malek.  It would have been easy to miscast the lead and have the entire show implode in on itself.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12093 on: December 18, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »
Knick season finale tonight. What personal truths that serve as a refresher for their misery will our characters uncover tonight?!? It's gonna be lit.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #12094 on: December 18, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
Finished Mr. Robot.

I think I remember the showrunner saying it's locked at three seasons and USA is on-board with not doing more after that. 

Glad you liked it.  It really is a giant love letter to David Fincher movies in some ways, both the good and the bad, and that will definitely turn some people off.  I like how the major plot-twist is telegraphed from episode one but each episode takes turns that you genuinely don't see coming. 

Also they are really lucky to have found Rami Malek.  It would have been easy to miscast the lead and have the entire show implode in on itself.

He was sooo good in The Pacific
___

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12095 on: December 19, 2015, 12:48:20 AM »
Knick season finale tonight. What personal truths that serve as a refresher for their misery will our characters uncover tonight?!? It's gonna be lit.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #12096 on: December 19, 2015, 01:25:59 AM »
The final 15 minutes of the knick (likely ever) was the most intense TV I've ever seen.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12097 on: December 19, 2015, 03:30:43 AM »
Fuck it I'm catching up without my brother. Sooo behind on The Knick.

mormapope

« Reply #12098 on: December 19, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
That ending  :'(

Certainly feels like that could be the ending of the entire show, but there's still a lot of room for more.

This is breaking news though, don't know if its confirmed

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-knick-season-3-cinemax-clive-owen-steven-soderbergh-1201662770/

I would love to see a jump in time if there's a third season. A time jump to WW1 would be really dope.
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #12099 on: December 19, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »
Also, huge Knick spoilers, but one of the best uses of a story theme ever in a TV show recently

Thackery couldn't save himself when it came to addiction, his will to live, or in a surgical sense. He literally can't save himself when it came to his surgery.
[close]

Also, more spoiler stuff, but

If there's a time jump, and Bertie becomes the new Thackery  :lawd
[close]
OH!

mormapope

Knick season 3 confirmed, could become an anthology series, Soderbergh out
« Reply #12100 on: December 21, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/steven-soderbergh-says-more-the-knick-is-coming-reveals-rough-plan-for-season-3-beyond-20151221

Also, this was confirmed via podcast from Knick's writers

Thackery is dead.
[close]
OH!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12101 on: December 24, 2015, 04:06:07 AM »
Watched Better Call Saul and it was great. I haven't seen a single minute of Breaking Bad in my and I don't think it is a problem at any time (except maybe for the ex Philly cop dude, but the story in this was complete as it is). I didn't know Rhea Seehorn before this but the character is totally a super nice person and all the romantic tension is very subtle and tactful.
ὕβρις

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12102 on: December 24, 2015, 06:58:33 AM »
Watched F is for Family.  No real gut busters but it was enjoyable to watch.  Reminds me of Bob's Burgers in that sense.
🍆🍆

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12103 on: December 24, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »

:brazilcry :noooo
WDW

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12104 on: December 27, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
Consensus is that it declines by season 8.
ὕβρις

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12105 on: December 28, 2015, 06:12:32 AM »
Season 7 is a sign of things to come.  Season 8 is the first season where there are some truly bad episodes.  In the past seasons, there were some episodes that seemed like filler/fluff but this was the first season where there was some garbage.  It keeps declining from there.

I heard it slightly improves after season 12 or 13 but if you look at the plot premises and it all seems like garbage to me.  So as far as I'm concerned, The Simpsons lasted eight seasons :autism
🍆🍆

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12106 on: December 28, 2015, 08:37:14 AM »
Season 7 is a sign of things to come.  Season 8 is the first season where there are some truly bad episodes. 

I think Season 7 is still amazing.

Season 8 is definitely where it moves from being a greatest of all time show up until that point to just being a good show with some weaker episodes in the mix. The next few seasons are a big drop-off in quality. Although individually there are still some amazing episodes occasionally.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #12107 on: December 28, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »
One of my favorite episodes ever (the Tomacco one), was in Season 11. So they still had the capacity to make great episodes after season 9.

mormapope

« Reply #12108 on: December 28, 2015, 11:12:05 AM »
The Simpsons' 12th season is probably the worst season of TV I've ever seen.

It makes a lot of sense that the 11th and 12th season are the points of no return. Futurama would be entering its 2nd season in 2000, and by all accounts it was an excellent show during its original run. I'll always assume a lot of talent from The Simpsons focused on Futurama and wanted to move on from The Simpsons, but things didn't pan out that way necessarily.

Futurama's original run matches the first 10 seasons of The Simpsons for me.
OH!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12109 on: December 28, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
Nostalgia. Scust.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12110 on: December 28, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »
That's funny because I considered the tomacco episode to be a sign that The Simpsons was never going to recover.
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12111 on: December 28, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
Started watching community.  The paint ball episodes :bow2

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12112 on: December 28, 2015, 10:57:12 PM »
Tried to watch Making Of A Murderer, quit after around 30 minutes. Seemed rather poorly done compared to other documentaries I've seen, and the focus of the doc....ugh. Dude drives a woman off the road and points a gun at her, and his lawyer makes it sound like this was nothing.

nope

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12113 on: December 29, 2015, 11:38:13 AM »
I recently rewatched Arrested Development.  My god.  The shift in tone between Season 3 and 4 is absolutely jarring.  Season 4 is some really dark humor but driven with the same whimsical style from the first 3 seasons. 

"My son and I have had a falling out.  I want to make it better.  Oh I'm fucking his girlfriend and I'm going to keep doing it.  *Womp womp womp*"

It's still good and Alia Shawkat grew up to have some tig ol bitties.

Tasty

« Reply #12114 on: December 29, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/28/daredevil-season-2-punisher

Pics of Punisher and Elektra. Also, apparently Kingpin "isn't expected to appear" this season.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12115 on: December 29, 2015, 04:25:20 PM »
I like berenthal as Punisher but I hope he has as few lines as possible. All of my favorite comic depictions of Punisher has him almost being a force of nature. An inevitable end point for bad guys. His voice exists only in inner dialog bubbles talking about how these dozen goons are stupid cattle avoiding claymore traps like he intended to be directed into a killbox with machine gun fire.

They tend to the play up the family trauma shit a lot in his film adaptations and of course, that makes the best sense but the Punisher I love is just a mostly quiet psychopath who murders goons as effeciently as possible. He's more Dexter with guns than some sad emo dude seeking revenge.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12116 on: December 30, 2015, 01:55:02 AM »
The Expanse is good tv. show is up to episode 4 now and I'm hooked in. really hoping it can have a good run, at least a few seasons

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12117 on: December 30, 2015, 05:45:51 PM »
Anyone watch Broadchurch? I watched the first couple episodes last night, seems pretty good

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12118 on: December 30, 2015, 07:59:24 PM »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #12119 on: December 31, 2015, 08:16:23 AM »
Tried to watch Making Of A Murderer, quit after around 30 minutes. Seemed rather poorly done compared to other documentaries I've seen, and the focus of the doc....ugh. Dude drives a woman off the road and points a gun at her, and his lawyer makes it sound like this was nothing.

nope

That's what I was thinking too, but by the end of the episode it's awesome. Totally hooked now
itm