Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083071 times)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #2160 on: March 22, 2011, 10:55:59 PM »
I wish they went with The Dark Tower influence instead of new age bullshit they pulled out near the end. But nooooo, this is a character oriented show *airs another Kate episode*
:9

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2161 on: March 23, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
I wish they went with The Dark Tower influence instead of new age bullshit they pulled out near the end. But nooooo, this is a character oriented show *airs another Kate episode*
same here.  Seasons 1-4 are still great with some episodes in the brilliant category.  And up until time travel and shit was introduced, there was still a chance that they could tie it all together without it being absolutely ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Seasons 5 and 6 because I grew to love the show and became invested in it, but Seasons 1-4 were a whole different animal.  It was such a different show.  Touching moments (some of them at least) actually touched you (finding out John had been paralyzed, his daddy issues, Jack making his wife walk, the constant, etc) but in Seasons 5 and 6 it's like it became just a staple to having a touching moment when they had bled that horse dry. 

It also reminded me of DBZ in the way that they would build up a villain (Ben for instance) as being untouchably awesome and incredibly intelligent.  No one could best him.  Oops, until you find out someone is just pulling his strings and he's a pawn and he's actually not that smart (until the writers need him to be).  Oh well, Seasons 1-4 for a sci fi/mystery show will never be touched IMO.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2162 on: March 23, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »
Raised By Another: got to that episode last night, and it brought home another example of an early Lost theme that was thrown away later: children. Claire's baby was supposed to have some significance, to the point where a psychic knowingly gave her a ticket on a doomed plane trip so she'd land on the island. Yet over the final seasons nothing happens with that angle. Same with Walt.

That initial mystery was fascinating and could have gone so many different ways.

Himu

« Reply #2163 on: March 24, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »
Ugly Betty:

I'm starting to see why this show was cancelled.

The characters are all paper thin and have almost no character development. I'm half way through season 3 and I'm getting fucking bored with them, their issues, and the subplots that are forgotten the very next episode.

Betty, the main character, for instance, is an idiot. Oh hey, I'm going to work as an assistant to the editor for a fashion magazine, despite not being fashion savvy, for two whole years. This magazine represents everything that ISN'T me, but I'm going to work here anyways because I'm an idiot. Only until sometimes spells out to Betty that by working in a fashion magazine, her writing credentials will be related only to fashion and that's not what her dream is and that her career is going nowhere. Instead of just getting a job at a place like the New York Post or something, she continues to try and fit a square into a circular hole. But noooooo, they can't do that, because after all, they've set up and developed these Mode characters, and just dropping them in favor for new scenery would alienate viewers, right? The problem with this is that the show continues on that same formula (ala Chuck, which is also feeling stale as fuck these days) without any change.

This is without mentioning that the show, while having interesting ideas, rarely takes them up. Here we are in a story that's revolved around the magazine industry, which is selling lower and lower each year, and rarely are these things brought up. It's just all glamor and it's so predictable. They have a lot of opportunities to relate modern events with the show's setting, but instead continuously bring up stupid drama or crappy rom com sub plots that are later completely forgotten. This was fine in the first two seasons, because the drama was good enough to back all of this up, but in the middle of season 3, almost no character has gone anywhere or truly evolved. I'd say Daniel has evolved the most, while Betty continues to be a fucking idiot (oh hey i'm going to move to manhattan even though i'm living on ramen). I actually enjoy almost every character on this show more than Betty, the title character. She is such a naive little princess that I can't help but hate/root her on at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:37:20 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2164 on: March 24, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
I've never seen an episode of ugly betty but I have a feeling you are taking that show way too seriously. They are not making the wire of the fashion industry.

Himu

« Reply #2165 on: March 24, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
I'm not saying they are but fuck, this formula and writing drive me insane. Something, anything different would be a nice change of pace. I only brought up the dying magazine industry because while they've brought it up on the show, they never have any interesting takes on the subject. It's like making a sports tv show without tackling the issue of steroids. I'm not saying I wish the show were serious, because it's anything but, but I can see why it was canceled: the formula gets so old and it's a shame because it has (or had) such potential.

also "the wire of the fashion industry" is fucking hilarious and I just lol'd so hard.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:59:33 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2166 on: March 24, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
When you have to do 22 episodes of these shows in a season I find that invariably there is a lot of filler and waffling nonsense by the characters. That's the cost of 22 episode seasons.

I like desperate housewives as a sort of guilty pleasure show and it suffers from all those issues you mentioned in ugly betty and more. I judge those kinda shows on a different level I guess.

Himu

« Reply #2167 on: March 24, 2011, 05:06:37 PM »
The thing with Ugly Betty is that it CAN be witty and quite often, hence why I get annoyed when Betty tries to rent out an apartment in Manhattan without even having seen it or something. It's one of those shows where it can clearly be better than it is.

I'm hoping the movie deal works out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:08:22 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2168 on: March 24, 2011, 10:26:44 PM »
Holy shit :bow I hope they wrap it up next Season, no more shit about being scared about viewership. End the series on a strong note.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2169 on: March 24, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
If we didn't already know Himuro was gay (ok, bi), this page would have confirmed it.

Fringe :rock
AMC

Himu

« Reply #2170 on: March 24, 2011, 11:16:51 PM »
If we didn't already know Himuro was gay (ok, bi), this page would have confirmed it.

Fringe :rock

I made a Lady Gaga wallpaper for the fun of it today.

You tell me.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2171 on: March 24, 2011, 11:34:25 PM »
Ugly Betty is oddly attractive  :-\

There are a lot of gay dudes on that show, explain himu

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2172 on: March 24, 2011, 11:37:24 PM »
Some dudes have a fetish for ugly chicks that have a singular attractive feature (or just butterface girls)

And the blonde lady (receptionist, I think she is?) is so hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwt. I've only caught glimpses of the show on TVGuide Channel smh

Himu

« Reply #2173 on: March 25, 2011, 12:31:14 AM »

The setting is a fashion magazine and there are tons of gays in the fashion industry. There are even characters who pretend to be gay to get an edge on their careers.

And America farerra, who plays Betty is most definitely HOT.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2174 on: March 25, 2011, 12:32:19 AM »

The setting is a fashion magazine and there are tons of gays in the fashion industry. There are even characters who pretend to be gay to get an edge on their careers.

yup, saw part of an episode about a black dude pretending to be gay to advance his career

Himu

« Reply #2175 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:17 AM »
haha that was a good one.

either way, there's really only two gay characters.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2176 on: March 25, 2011, 10:09:21 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2177 on: March 25, 2011, 10:20:49 AM »
I really liked the community episode. I think that's why that show is strong. I think it would be fairly hard for any other show on tv currently to pull of an epsiode like than and make it credible.

I didn't catch the 30 rock episode but for whatever reason I find that show a lot less funny than I use to.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2178 on: March 26, 2011, 03:59:11 AM »
Hoping Will Arnett ends up being the new boss on The Office as sort of rumored. I'm pulling for Rhys Darby too but the "socially awkward/oblivious" boss thing can't really be mined any further.
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2179 on: March 26, 2011, 09:35:55 AM »
Like a David Lynch movie. There's a bunch of very odd mysticism which gets rolled out over the course of the series. You're making me want to watch it again, just dredging up what I can remember. There was a version of Twin Peaks which was meant to stand alone as a two hour movie. The killer just turns out to be a guy who works at the hospital. In the series, it turns out to be significantly more complex. Lost Highway is actually pretty similar, if you think about the way it turns out.
Ah I see. 

Well I'm two episodes from the end of season 1.  I'll finish it tonight.  So far I fucking love this show.  It's so laid back and witty.  But i found that I have to be in a certain mood to watch it (much like David Lynch movies).  But man it's so good so far.

Is the 2nd season as good?  How about the movie?

I can't remember where the division happened between S1 and S2. The show loses a lot of impact after the killer is revealed. There are also some really weird side stories that I didn't care for at the time, which I'd probably just appreciate as Lynch-isms on a re-watch.

The movie was quite good. It's really strange, but I liked it. The only thing I really disliked was Lara Flynn-Boyle deciding she was too big to work for Lynch, who basically made her career up to that point. I can admit to being petty enough that I was happy to see her career tank afterward.
She's not in the movie?  What does the movie cover really?  Is it a shorter telling of the story or something?  Or just a finish?  I'm going to start season 2 in a few days. 

IIRC, Fire, Walk with Me is kind of a prequel, and also a kind of finisher to the series since it was canceled kind of abruptly.

I actually don't remember what happens, other than a ridiculous slo-mo driving sequence with Laura and the One-Armed Man, a character from later in the first season.

Lara Flynn-Boyle isn't in it; they chose a different actress for her role, which was only a little jarring.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #2180 on: March 27, 2011, 12:14:23 AM »
:bow Fringe :bow2
Drunk

etiolate

« Reply #2181 on: March 27, 2011, 12:53:49 AM »
I'm watching an episode of Fringe and I have some notes and questions

1. WB's online streaming is crap. It runs the show while the commercial plays over it.
2. Am I going have to put up with dark ominous tones for the rest of the series?
3. Is the dad another Nerds Say The Darnedest Things deal?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2182 on: March 27, 2011, 01:02:14 AM »
I'm watching an episode of Fringe and I have some notes and questions

1. WB's online streaming is crap. It runs the show while the commercial plays over it.
2. Am I going have to put up with dark ominous tones for the rest of the series?
3. Is the dad another Nerds Say The Darnedest Things deal?

1. WB? I've been catching it on Hulu but not sure if  your trying to watch the first season or not
2. The first Season may have been like this. If its recent episodes, the story arc calls for it. But generally it does the dark tones and lightheartedness mixed in well
3. He is and is generally everyones favorite character on the show but there's a reason for his aloofness

etiolate

« Reply #2183 on: March 27, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »
Yeah the first season is on WB not Hulu.

etiolate

« Reply #2184 on: March 27, 2011, 02:33:39 AM »
well eps 11 and 12 kinda stunk but ep 13 has been better

Himu

« Reply #2185 on: March 27, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
Ugly Betty is starting to do what I was hoping it do. Season 3 is getting better.
IYKYK

OptimoPeach

« Reply #2186 on: March 27, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »
My friend introduced me to The League yesterday and we ended up burning through almost all of the first two seasons in one sitting. It's easily on par with Arrested/Curb/Sunny/Whatever when it's at its best, and the current crop of network sitcoms aren't even worthy of comparison. I really hope it can continue to maintain this level of quality. Really kicking myself for not watching this sooner
hi5

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2187 on: March 27, 2011, 05:49:13 PM »
I should have started watching it when Cajole said it was good. Now Optimo co-signs too. I suck  :-\

« Reply #2188 on: March 27, 2011, 05:53:20 PM »
The League is awesome. Season two was even better than the first.
野球

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2189 on: March 27, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »
The League is definitely fantastic. Vaginal Hubris, Rapist Glasses, DRAIDS etc. Awesome bro scenarios that aren't overly bro.

« Reply #2190 on: March 27, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »
Don't apologize, NOTARIZE!

My new Fantasy team name is going to be Password is Taco.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2191 on: March 27, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »
The League is definitely fantastic. Vaginal Hubris, Rapist Glasses, DRAIDS etc. Awesome bro scenarios that aren't overly bro.

Yea I've heard it avoids the pitfalls that have doomed Always Sunny over the last couple seasons

« Reply #2192 on: March 27, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »
Stop talking and go watch it.
野球

Diunx

« Reply #2193 on: March 27, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
Is the show still on the air?
Drunk

« Reply #2194 on: March 27, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
Second season is over, third season will be on FX in the Fall.
野球

etiolate

« Reply #2195 on: March 28, 2011, 12:01:51 AM »
bob's burgers has been rockin

Diunx

« Reply #2196 on: March 28, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »

This looks pretty fucking fantastic, Jeremy Irons :heart
Drunk

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2197 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:57 AM »
Was that the Californication series finale?

They just signed on for a fifth season.

Just caught it On Demand. Our DVR died tonight just as it started, and when we tried to watch it in the bedroom, every channel worked fine except Showtime. It came back on for the season finale of Shameless though.
(|)

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #2198 on: March 28, 2011, 02:02:09 AM »
Started watching Police Squad! because of a gif I saw on here. Very funny.
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2199 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:06 AM »
:bow Fringe :bow2

Just watched the most recent one last night. This show has improved so much since season one, and it was even pretty good then. Anna Torv is just remarkably good, and the show has taken some pretty interesting risks. I was really impressed with this most recent episode, what they did with Charlie and Lee (Leigh? Lincoln?).

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2200 on: March 30, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »
Himu, you act like you've never seen a spanish novela or a soap opera! They're all paper thin because that how those shows work.  The only one who stands out is Betty because she's supposed to be the (somewhat) sane character in all these distinguished mentally-challenged stereotypes.  It's a soap opera, bro!  Character's motives change abruptly because the current storyline calls for it.  No reason or explanation needed beyond some paper thin goal.  I'm sure you're syh at points where you're supposed to be laughing.  A lot of those "touching" moments or "revelations" are indeed supposed to be funny.  My wife grew up on novelas and she thought the show was hilarious because of it.  I'm only slightly familiar with them, but I know the way it's supposed to go.

Diunx

« Reply #2201 on: March 30, 2011, 11:26:22 AM »
Brazilian novelas are pretty awesome and not like the paper thin crap from colombia and venezuela, my favorite one as a kid was one about vampires, the main character was this hot goth vampire singer and it had some scenes that scared the crap out of my six years old self :bow2
Drunk

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2202 on: March 30, 2011, 11:29:46 AM »
I'm pretty sure they're all crappy compared to real tv.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't care for any of them outside of the hot chicks.
[close]

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #2203 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
have been watching this new-ish series from Channel 4 called Friday Night Dinner and it's absolutely amazing.  Has Simon Bird from the Inbetweeners, Tamsin Greig from Black Books and Greenwing and a million other things, Mark Heap of Spaced and Greenwing (and a ton of Chris Morris projects) written by Robert Popper (Inbetweeners, Peep Show, IT Crowd, etc etc etc).

It's full of laugh out loud moments which comes from the characters.  See it.
Tonya

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2204 on: March 30, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
Anyone gonna catch The Killing this Sunday? The preview looked really good.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2205 on: March 30, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »
she's hot

Himu

« Reply #2206 on: March 30, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
Himu, you act like you've never seen a spanish novela or a soap opera! They're all paper thin because that how those shows work.  The only one who stands out is Betty because she's supposed to be the (somewhat) sane character in all these distinguished mentally-challenged stereotypes.  It's a soap opera, bro!  Character's motives change abruptly because the current storyline calls for it.  No reason or explanation needed beyond some paper thin goal.  I'm sure you're syh at points where you're supposed to be laughing.  A lot of those "touching" moments or "revelations" are indeed supposed to be funny.  My wife grew up on novelas and she thought the show was hilarious because of it.  I'm only slightly familiar with them, but I know the way it's supposed to go.

i'm unfamiliar with the source material, i guess
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2207 on: March 30, 2011, 06:18:12 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Me
AMC

Himu

« Reply #2208 on: March 30, 2011, 06:25:29 PM »

it's amc, so of course
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2209 on: March 30, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »
I finally caught up to Fringe's latest episodes; hands down best on-going series at the moment. That is all.
Unzip

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2210 on: March 30, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »

it's amc, so of course

although I never watched Rubicon
[close]

etiolate

« Reply #2211 on: March 30, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »
i watched the first two seasons of Dexter over the past few days

asian dude is awesome

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2212 on: March 30, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »
anyone watched The Chicago Code?

OptimoPeach

« Reply #2213 on: March 30, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
I finally caught up to Fringe's latest episodes; hands down best on-going series at the moment. That is all.
Probably, though I dunno how flattering of a compliment that really is when you consider its competition. The only other non-comedy show I can even think of off the top of my head whose premier I'm like counting down the days to is Breaking Bad. Not at all a Mad Men fan despite my best efforts, Dexter has finally completed its transformation and is now 100% crap, Treme is boring as hell, Boardwalk Empire is just okay. What else is generating buzz these days? I didn't get to check out Terriers until it was already canceled. Anyone here know how Justified is? That I sorta forgot about since the pilot last year.

Seriously, it's gotten to the point where I watch more SC2 pro games than TV and movies lately :lol

Well, anyway, yes, :bow Fringe :bow2 All indications are the series conclusion will be a trainwreck of Lost or BSG proportions, but I'm sure as shit enjoying the ride
hi5

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2214 on: March 30, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
Game of Thrones should be great too. Three, I think, more Sundays to go

Himu

« Reply #2215 on: March 30, 2011, 08:07:44 PM »
i watched the first two seasons of Dexter over the past few days

asian dude is awesome

wish they'd put seasons 3 and 4 on netflix
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2216 on: March 30, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »
Well, anyway, yes, :bow Fringe :bow2 All indications are the series conclusion will be a trainwreck of Lost or BSG proportions, but I'm sure as shit enjoying the ride

Oh, absolutely agreed. I really can't see them wrapping this show up, what with all the newly introduced factors (or factions), without jumping one gigantic nuclear-powered mecha-shark.
Unzip

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2217 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »

Oh, absolutely agreed. I really can't see them wrapping this show up, what with all the newly introduced factors (or factions), without jumping one gigantic nuclear-powered mecha-shark.

Yeah, the only thing that bothers me are the faction stuff they set up in S1 being more or less abandoned.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: "manifestation"
« Reply #2218 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:43 PM »
For mupepe:
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2219 on: April 01, 2011, 12:57:21 AM »
The Jersey Shore finale was weak, as was the entire season this year. The Ron/Sam bullshit ruined the entire season and really makes me not care too much about a new season. Every episode boiled down to the same shit:

-hijinks in the day time
-Ron/Sam fight
-clubbin
-Ron/Sam fight
-Morning kiss and make up session between Ron and Sam
-repeat previous steps

Ron is a piece of shit; seems like the type of dude who will abuse his wife mentally in the future. Sammie could have totally destroyed him by simply ending the stupid relationship, but she's just as weak as him. What a shame

Oh well, there's always Pauly D :bow :bow :bow