Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083073 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #5880 on: September 21, 2012, 05:14:05 AM »
This Louie episode was pretty sad, but great of course. Wilfred was pretty stupid. Parks and Office were kind of mediocre but what I expected.

Sons of Anarchy does not get better season to season and saw a sharp decline in quality after Season 2, with Season 3 being absolute dumpster fire. Season 4 was a little better, and the jury's out on Season 5. However, Jimmy Smits is pretty awesome.

Season 3 was confusing, I guess. The writers do stretch a lot of things a like with Tig and Opies wife and Clay's amazing survivability, but it gets more interesting and relies less on being gritty as the show goes on imo.

Although the season 5 premiere was pretty fucked up obviously. If The Shield wasn't too much for you and if you like to learn about the MC sub-culture, then SoA is definitely worth watching.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5881 on: September 21, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »
Got caught up and watched the 2nd season of Wilfred. Yeah, I sort of agree with Himuro in that I think the show has lost its way. That final episode was horseshit to me. There were good episodes in season 2 but overall I just sort of feel like the magic is gone. I'm curious to watch the original version now.

Caught up on Louie. I like that show also but not nearly as much as most people in this thread and its also a pretty flawed show from my perspective. I feel like it drags on both during a show and during episode arcs to make a really simple point when it could be handled a lot faster. But ultimately I just don't find the third season very funny.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5882 on: September 21, 2012, 02:04:46 PM »
no idea how Wilfred has lost its magic when it's doing the same stuff it did first season -- especially as it has delved even further into philosophical quandaries. The season 2 finale was excellent: it showed that Wilfred can not only talk to other people, but fuck with them as well. And, ultimately, Ryan just got his girlfriend sent to a mental facility for something that is happening to him as well.

Himu

« Reply #5883 on: September 21, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
Got caught up and watched the 2nd season of Wilfred. Yeah, I sort of agree with Himuro in that I think the show has lost its way. That final episode was horseshit to me. There were good episodes in season 2 but overall I just sort of feel like the magic is gone. I'm curious to watch the original version now.

Caught up on Louie. I like that show also but not nearly as much as most people in this thread and its also a pretty flawed show from my perspective. I feel like it drags on both during a show and during episode arcs to make a really simple point when it could be handled a lot faster. But ultimately I just don't find the third season very funny.

Third season of Louie is more shaky but it has some great eps.
IYKYK

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5884 on: September 21, 2012, 05:53:10 PM »
It's better than second season

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5885 on: September 21, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
no idea how Wilfred has lost its magic when it's doing the same stuff it did first season -- especially as it has delved even further into philosophical quandaries. The season 2 finale was excellent: it showed that Wilfred can not only talk to other people, but fuck with them as well. And, ultimately, Ryan just got his girlfriend sent to a mental facility for something that is happening to him as well.

There's a difference between crazy and illegal/malicious. The latter is what got Amanda sent to prison.

Either Amanda is crazy enough to think she "talks" with Wilfred, similar to Ryan, or she just was playing along to get Ryan to come with her. I don't really see how Wilfred is pulling any strings in this.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5886 on: September 21, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
Except for the drawings and the fact that Wilfred constantly fucks with Ryan every episode. All evidence points to Wilfred fucking with her, too.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5887 on: September 21, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »
The picture on the refrigerator suggests that Ryan is just crazier than he thought.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5888 on: September 21, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »
Which in turn is probably due to wilfred driving him further into insanity.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5889 on: September 21, 2012, 09:32:31 PM »
If the picture is real and not a hallucination, then he's really just been crazy for a long time. The fact that his mother is crazy in the same way suggests that he might have the same mental problems as her.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5890 on: September 22, 2012, 04:28:18 AM »
I liked Ryan fucking with Wilfred over the drawing.

EDIT: Oh, and can we at least have corn on the cob?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:13:31 AM by benjipwns »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #5891 on: September 22, 2012, 06:43:48 AM »
No.

Freyj

« Reply #5892 on: September 22, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »
A decent streak of Doctor Who ruined by an RTD level magic wand bullshit ending.

Oh well, Moffat written Angels episode next week to see if the Angels are worth revisiting or if Blink will remain the only good use of them.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #5893 on: September 23, 2012, 03:33:14 AM »
Downton Abbey s3 premier :bow

There were some ridiculous moments but overall I liked the various plots that were thrown into the air; it'll be interesting to see where they land.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
-thank god the marriage is out the way. I had dreaded that it would be called off and we'd get more Matthew/Mary "will they or won't they" drama throughout the season
-looks like Edith will get more screen time this year, nice. I hope she marries the old dude
-Mr. Bates...bah. More drama I see; I'm guessing he'll get in a fight with his cell mate and accidentally kill him
[close]

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #5894 on: September 23, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »
started watching Downton Abbey series 1 - soooo goood.

However, here's some awesome from Thick Of It :

"VIRGIN WEST-COAST, SHUT IT!"
O=X

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #5895 on: September 23, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
I hope Mr. Bates gets killed, so sick of his bullshit.
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5896 on: September 24, 2012, 01:42:34 AM »
I love Bates, but I feel like the writers abuse him to ridiculous levels in order to create drama.

spoilers for s1/s2
-On multiple occasions he is falsely accused, or his honor is questioned. Instead of defending himself he basically gives up and refuses to defend himself. This forces other people to constantly save his ass at the last minute and ultimately prove he's being framed or taking the fall for someone he loved. It's beyond frustrating. I can understand doing this once, but it happens so many times in S1 it becomes very contrived.

-Then in S2 his wife basically fucks him over to ridiculous levels, and he refuses to quickly get help to combat it. I forgot though: who poisoned her again?

He is more honorable than Ned Stark. That's not a good thing
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #5897 on: September 24, 2012, 06:26:27 AM »
I think I might like Go On. Maybe it's just my apparent crush on Matthew Perry since I liked Mr. Sunshine too. Maybe I just like watching him suffer. But I might stick with this. It's better than Up All Night was at least.

Boss is too good now.

If anyone likes cooking and also likes Gordon Ramsay he has this new "Ultimate Cookery Course" show which is pretty solid. Has some nice tips.

Castle is back tonight.  :hyper

USA stuff mostly all has ended now for the dumb breaks they do. Covert Affairs had a great season, went from being really boring but nice background into a really great show. Jettisoned the worst characters and turned into a serial. White Collar and Royal Pains are good fun.

Need to go through some other junk I've had lying around forever. Should have done it a while ago, but watched Terriers again instead.

:-\

Himu

« Reply #5898 on: September 24, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5899 on: September 24, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »
I think I might like Go On. Maybe it's just my apparent crush on Matthew Perry since I liked Mr. Sunshine too. Maybe I just like watching him suffer. But I might stick with this. It's better than Up All Night was at least.

Boss is too good now.

If anyone likes cooking and also likes Gordon Ramsay he has this new "Ultimate Cookery Course" show which is pretty solid. Has some nice tips.

Castle is back tonight.  :hyper

USA stuff mostly all has ended now for the dumb breaks they do. Covert Affairs had a great season, went from being really boring but nice background into a really great show. Jettisoned the worst characters and turned into a serial. White Collar and Royal Pains are good fun.

Need to go through some other junk I've had lying around forever. Should have done it a while ago, but watched Terriers again instead.

:-\

what are the best USA shows?
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #5900 on: September 24, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »
Depends on what you're looking for I suppose.

Top favorite is Suits, which went from great to omg awesome this season. Then Psych. (see MAF thread)

I really like White Collar. Burn Notice was sorta the start of the second wave (after Monk/Psych) and most owe their setup to this, first two-three seasons were great, it lulled, then came back. I like White Collar better NOW, but Burn Notice earlier was probably better than everything else.

Necessary Roughness is better than it sounds.

Royal Pains is the highest rated show. I know people who like that a lot but refuse to watch anything else on USA. (Except RAW.)

I was never down on Covert Affairs as others, thought it was okay, but this last season really turned it into something.

Robo

« Reply #5901 on: September 24, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »

Don't you want Anna to be happy, you heartless scum?
obo

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5902 on: September 24, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »
second ep of Downton Abbey s3 was damn good :bow

-Good to see Edith gets to marry the old dude. I must say I didn't really get why her lord father didn't want it to happen; he has said before that Edith probably wouldn't find anyone to marry, so why get in the way of the one person who seems to like her.

-The American grandmother continues to amaze, despite sometimes being over the top. This episode worried me a bit in terms of her wealth, and her possibility being able to "save" Downton. Now we have two potential piles of money to bail them out with - hers and Matthew's.

-Maggie Smith is amazing this season. Sure she's amazing every season but her rivalry with the new grandmother is hilarious. I loved the part where she tried to drink herself to sleep to avoid the shame of an American style cocktail party lol

-Mr Bates being sad about Downton made me sad. Sure you can say "LOL he's in jail, why is he sad about that shit" but clearly the house means and represents more to him. God dammit I wish they'd just prove he's innocent and get him back to the house. I'd love to see him bantering with Thomas and the new valet/butler guy
[close]

« Reply #5903 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »

-Good to see Edith gets to marry the old dude. I must say I didn't really get why her lord father didn't want it to happen; he has said before that Edith probably wouldn't find anyone to marry, so why get in the way of the one person who seems to like her.

-The American grandmother continues to amaze, despite sometimes being over the top. This episode worried me a bit in terms of her wealth, and her possibility being able to "save" Downton. Now we have two potential piles of money to bail them out with - hers and Matthew's.

-Maggie Smith is amazing this season. Sure she's amazing every season but her rivalry with the new grandmother is hilarious. I loved the part where she tried to drink herself to sleep to avoid the shame of an American style cocktail party lol

-Mr Bates being sad about Downton made me sad. Sure you can say "LOL he's in jail, why is he sad about that shit" but clearly the house means and represents more to him. God dammit I wish they'd just prove he's innocent and get him back to the house. I'd love to see him bantering with Thomas and the new valet/butler guy
[close]

Where can one acquire season three? Stupid PBS waiting until January to air it.
野球

Himu

« Reply #5904 on: September 24, 2012, 02:10:11 PM »
Icefilms.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5905 on: September 24, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »

[close]

Where can one acquire season three? Stupid PBS waiting until January to air it.

I watch it early with Icefilms
http://www.icefilms.info/

Himu

« Reply #5906 on: September 24, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »
Any of you guys watching the new JJ Abrams show Revolution? I love JJ but this show is pretty shit so far.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #5907 on: September 26, 2012, 01:19:41 AM »
Sons of Anarchy tonight... I'm going to bed.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5908 on: September 26, 2012, 02:10:01 AM »
Sons of Anarchy tonight... I'm going to bed.

Fucking Opie.
[close]

:'(

The next few episodes are going to be a bloodbath.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5909 on: September 26, 2012, 04:10:02 AM »
Definitely a sign of a huge decline in quality with how bullshit that episode was.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5910 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »
Any of you guys watching the new JJ Abrams show Revolution? I love JJ but this show is pretty shit so far.
I watched the first episode but it moves way too fast for the atmosphere it's trying to have. And the characters are so boring.  I have zero interest in any of them.

Himu

« Reply #5911 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »
More than that, I'm grieved by the fact they have to set up a story about stupid metaphysical bullshit rather than just have a show about people surviving and living in a wasteland setting. WHo gives a shit about usb pendants, seriously? Who CARES why the blackout happened? It shouldn't be some mystery, it should just be accepted and now humanity has to reevaluate things. It's like playing a Fallout game and then everyone is like WHY WERE WE BOMBED? WHO CARES. IT'S IRRELEVANT. Why does it take five minutes for them to reach Chicago? They say it's supposed to be a dangerous world, and yet aside from almost being raped they practically waltz into Chicago without incident. It's like the opposite of The Walking Dead; instead of plodding around and doing nothing with the plot, the action moves too fast for you to grow attached to any of the characters.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:39:48 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5912 on: September 26, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
More than that, I'm grieved by the fact they have to set up a story about stupid metaphysical bullshit rather than just have a show about people surviving and living in a wasteland setting. WHo gives a shit about usb pendants, seriously? Who CARES why the blackout happened? It shouldn't be some mystery, it should just be accepted and now humanity has to reevaluate things. Why does it take five minutes for them to reach Chicago? They say it's supposed to be a dangerous world, and yet aside from almost being raped they practically waltz into Chicago without incident. It's like the opposite of The Walking Dead; instead of plodding around and doing nothing with the plot, the action moves too fast for you to grow attached to any of the characters.
Yep.  I was really thinking at the end of the season they'd get to Chicago.  They made it seems like a long, harrowing journey.  Oh shit, next morning and we're there!  Ugh.  And the metaphysical BS is just demand from networks for the next Lost but without any of the other things that made it Lost.  Just the pseudo science nonsense.

Himu

« Reply #5913 on: September 26, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »
I like how they present Charlie as being strong and smart and shit, but she can't see past Militia Boy's penis to take a look at his arm. Or how she can't handle herself in an actual fight.

Why does Asthma Kid look like he's frail and weak and shit when he's like an Abercrombie supermodel with bulging muscles? What the shit?

Are they seriously trying to build a convincing world where people like this can survive hunger, famine, death?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5914 on: September 26, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »
My question is, are critics so terrible that they have to praise this show to oblivion and cum all over it or does it get that much better?
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5915 on: September 26, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »
I like how they present Charlie as being strong and smart and shit, but she can't see past Militia Boy's penis to take a look at his arm. Or how she can't handle herself in an actual fight.

Why does Asthma Kid look like he's frail and weak and shit when he's like an Abercrombie supermodel with bulging muscles? What the shit?

Are they seriously trying to build a convincing world where people like this can survive hunger, famine, death?

My question is, are critics so terrible that they have to praise this show to oblivion and cum all over it or does it get that much better?
How does the fat guy stay so fat??  It's even more pressing question than Lost because no one is dropping them food and it's been fifteen fucking years!  The leaps in logic necessary to *just* get into this show are way too much.  Lost was able to go so far because it started in a more grounded setting and the leaps in logic were shrouded in mystery for so long.  Here they just show all the flaws of the story at once.  It's obnoxious.

Is this really critically acclaimed?  I haven't read any reviews but I was pretty disappointed with the first episode.  I'll watch the 2nd tonight.

Himu

« Reply #5916 on: September 26, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »
Well, on NBC promotion they're like cumming all over it. NBC has been promoting this since the damn Super Bowl.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5917 on: September 26, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
what show are you talking about himuchan?

Himu

« Reply #5918 on: September 26, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »
Revolution

I dunno. It's been really crap so far but I LIKE the idea of it so I'm giving it a season to see if it finds its footing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:23:48 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5919 on: September 26, 2012, 10:19:08 PM »
I made it only 3 minutes or so past the blackout. Cardboard cutout characters, meager pickings for dialog. Sad.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5920 on: September 26, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
I started Arrested Development a few days ago and I'm already starting the third season. It wasn't until about halfway through the second season that I realized that Larry Sanders doesn't show up in this show.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #5921 on: September 27, 2012, 01:22:59 PM »
So I watched the last episode of Here Comes Baby Boo Boo and the 17 year old daughter, Chickadee, finally had her baby.   And as if this show couldn't get any more amazing, the baby was born with 3 thumbs.  Holy fucking Christ, can this be real?!?!?  What a perfect way for these hillbillies to go out.  You couldn't write it any better.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:25:14 PM by Hitler Stole My Potato »
Tacos

etiolate

« Reply #5922 on: September 27, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
wait what hooooow

who is the daddy?

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #5923 on: September 27, 2012, 05:19:09 PM »
They never said.....but I know it ain't Uncle Poodle.  He's the gay one.  Fabulously gay.  Last night he and Boo Boo had a good ol' fashioned dirt fight in honor of the three thumbed baby.

And who's hungry?

That's Italian!  :drool
Tacos

etiolate

« Reply #5924 on: September 27, 2012, 05:52:43 PM »
now i know where olive garden got their recipes

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #5925 on: September 27, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
OMFG Key and Peele was fucking amazing again

Gallaleroy, Mary Magdalene's pimp was so good.

so good
Tonya

Freyj

« Reply #5926 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
Fuckshitting Christ at that Baskin Robbins double scoop of butter.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5927 on: September 28, 2012, 11:25:55 AM »

:)

Himu

« Reply #5928 on: September 28, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5929 on: September 28, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
I watched the pilot of Last Resort and it was pretty awesome. It's like if Lost had a submarine instead of a plane, the USA was the smoke monster, and Jack and Ben were both played by Mr. Eko. :bow2
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5930 on: September 28, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
I watched the pilot of Last Resort and it was pretty awesome. It's like if Lost had a submarine instead of a plane, the USA was the smoke monster, and Jack and Ben were both played by Mr. Eko. :bow2

That's sitting in my queue as well. I'll have to scope it out. :ninja

etiolate

« Reply #5931 on: September 28, 2012, 04:57:48 PM »
Did anyone watch that Elementary show? Is it as awful as it sounds/looks? The promos were Lucy Liu saying "This isn't your Grandma's Sherlock Holmes."

Beezy

« Reply #5932 on: September 28, 2012, 05:42:10 PM »
Did anyone watch that Elementary show? Is it as awful as it sounds/looks? The promos were Lucy Liu saying "This isn't your Grandma's Sherlock Holmes."
BBC's Sherlock is on netflix. There's no need to watch an inferior show.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #5933 on: September 28, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »
I'm sure House is also better than it.
AMC

Tucah

« Reply #5934 on: September 28, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »
Parks and Rec and Louie were both great last night, especially Louie. The doll scene was hilarious :lol

Fringe starts up again tonight! I wasn't a huge fan of the last season but I hope it can go out with a bang.

That sounds amazing. Sold.

etiolate

« Reply #5935 on: September 28, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »
I already watched the BBC Moffat Sherlock. Most excellent. I'm just curious how much they fucked Sherlock in some silly attempt at remaking it for the CBS audience.

Himu

« Reply #5936 on: September 29, 2012, 01:18:25 AM »

:bow
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5937 on: September 29, 2012, 02:46:41 AM »
Wait, so the first shot is what he's hoping will happen?

Timber

« Reply #5938 on: September 29, 2012, 02:50:28 AM »
Louie was so good.
w/e

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5939 on: September 29, 2012, 03:09:57 AM »
Wait, so the first shot is what he's hoping will happen?
the first shot is what is happening

the sequence after is what he did to make that present what it is.