Author Topic: Evilbore opinions: Metroid Prime  (Read 9908 times)

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
Evilbore opinions: Metroid Prime
« on: August 06, 2007, 05:02:54 PM »
I like MP1 a lot. I dislike MP2 cause I think it drops most of the things I like about MP1. I think the world design is poopy, I hate the dark/light mechanic, and the world overall feels much less organic, excepting Torvus.

Discuss. How does EB feel about Metroid Prime? I mean, I expect most people to hate it cause we're at EB, but let's have some conversatin'

GO
haw

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Re: Evilbore opinions: Metroid Prime
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:03:33 PM »
mp1 is shit. mp2 is double-plus shit.
duc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 05:05:33 PM »
I like MP1 a lot. I dislike MP2 cause I think it drops most of the things I like about MP1. I think the world design is poopy, I hate the dark/light mechanic, and the world overall feels much less organic, excepting Torvus.

Discuss. How does EB feel about Metroid Prime? I mean, I expect most people to hate it cause we're at EB, but let's have some conversatin'

GO

exactly what I thought of 2.  MP1 is my second favorite game ever. 

Himu

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:05:36 PM »
ya know. metroid prime is a game i really really wanted to love. in fact, the first half was awesome shit imo. but once the stupid space pirates joined the party, it just became tedious shit and the game showed that it wasn't geared for actual epic battles. i swear those battles with those damn space pirates lasted forever and they were stupidly strong.

but i still played through it. because it's metroid.
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 05:10:13 PM »
I liked the first one, enough, at the time. Second-best title screen ever and the sort of presentation you can only get from Japanese managers working American employees to death. On the other hand, shitty combat mechanics and the relic quest is just baloney. Overall, worth playing.

MP2 is too awful to even discuss.
乱学者

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 05:10:20 PM »
It's ok. Echoes was disappointment. I'll play Corruption when I bother to get a Wii.
fat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 05:11:02 PM »
MP is fantastic, I'm replaying it now. MP2 I couldn't get through once.

y2kev

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »
MP is fantastic, I'm replaying it now. MP2 I couldn't get through once.
Same, I have MP1 queued up for vacation next week.
haw

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 05:16:27 PM »
MP1 had excellent graphics for its time, probably better than any other PS2/Xbox game,  but I couldn't get into it.  It's like a FPS that's ashamed of being called a FPS.  The controls hinder you for no reason and it's distinguished mentally-challenged how the story is told through tons of text that most gamers don't want to read.   

y2kev

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 05:18:09 PM »
Oh yeah, I think that distinction is largely bullshit. The game is good regardless of what genre you put it in. MP2 though...it's just so disappointing. I hated how gray and ugly everything was, though some of the challenging bosses were really cheap. I don't think I ever turned it on again after it said, "YOU NEED 9 KEYS."

ps i hate scanning and don't do it, it's annoying
haw

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 05:20:43 PM »
MP1 has kinda shit graphics, I thought, outside of the (should be mandatory) 60 fps. No real lighting; medium-res textures, low-poly models and middling multi-texturing effects didn't do it for me; in fact, the game has pretty weak special effects design all around. Art direction was really good, though.
duc

y2kev

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »
I dunno, overall it looks really good to me. Shit? :\
haw

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 05:29:37 PM »
i tend to spot technical flaws with a little too much regularity. maf has lol'd at me a few times when i start dinging games' graphics.
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 05:30:52 PM »
Metroid Prime was incredible–maybe the graphics weren't AMAZING, but it had a superior art style.  Great great game.

I feel bad for MP2.  I really like it, but it just seems like a side story that hardly remembers it's a Metroid title.  It had a great difficulty (anyone who complains about it is just bad at games, I'm sorry) and the best boss designs out of the entire series.  But it had boring ass environments (other than the futuristic city level, forget its name :bow), shitty beam weapons, and honestly it felt sort of uninspired next to Prime.

I'm incredibly hopefuly for Corruption, it seems to keep the best qualities of 2 while returning to the formula that made the original so great.
püp

y2kev

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 05:32:50 PM »
ohhhhh the beam weapons

I'm so happy the weapons will be stackable in MP3. I hate that tedious bullshit. The weapons don't feel different enough to keep that mechanic going. ANGARRRRRR
haw

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 05:36:19 PM »
Didn't care much for MP1... I thought it looked really nice and had some great environments and awesome music, but the core gameplay just didn't work for me. WAAAAAY too much backtracking, too, especially the artifact hunt and everything. It wasn't nearly the disaster I thought it would be, though (turning Metroid first person and handing it over to an American dev... sounded like it was gonna be horrible).
^_^

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 05:46:12 PM »
ohhhhh the beam weapons

I'm so happy the weapons will be stackable in MP3. I hate that tedious bullshit. The weapons don't feel different enough to keep that mechanic going. ANGARRRRRR

Beam stacking in MP3 is going to be awesome.  I can't wait.
püp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 06:35:09 PM »
MP1 had excellent graphics for its time, probably better than any other PS2/Xbox game,  but I couldn't get into it.  It's like a FPS that's ashamed of being called a FPS.  The controls hinder you for no reason and it's distinguished mentally-challenged how the story is told through tons of text that most gamers don't want to read.   

This is like people who bitch that RE4 doesn't have strafing.

MP isn't trying to be Halo any more than RE4 is trying to be Max Payne.

Oh yeah, I think that distinction is largely bullshit. The game is good regardless of what genre you put it in. MP2 though...it's just so disappointing. I hated how gray and ugly everything was, though some of the challenging bosses were really cheap. I don't think I ever turned it on again after it said, "YOU NEED 9 KEYS."

ps i hate scanning and don't do it, it's annoying

I think I went through one of the key things, without realizing that I was even doing a key thing (I had the doodads already, or something). When I ran into it again, that was the last straw, never touched the game again.

I like scanning though.

bluemax

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 06:47:55 PM »
Metroid Prime was awesome. Graphics were nice, environments were pretty sweet and the flow wasn't that bad.

Metroid Prime 2 was crap. They went out of their way to make the gameplay and level design completely contrary to everything Metroid is about.
NO

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 07:02:14 PM »
MP was so damn boring I never even bothered with the sequel.

etiolate

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 07:13:39 PM »
MP1 is awesome and a desperate cry for developers to remember the art of level design.  "THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE, SEE?" 

Echoes unfortunately used the level design theory of Fusion, which is a flowchart like design which has a head/top, from which areas bracket into below, but it is less creative and in the end doesn't work as well.  On the other hand, the morphball puzzles were improved and the bosses were great.  The fortress area(forget the name) was a new look for the series that worked well as a seperate entity.

The worry with Corruption is that they have been listening too long to the haters, that really have no interest in the game, and have turned it into a generic FPS.  Early reports say things like "Halo like" and discuss less twisting level design and redundant pathways. What makes Metroid Prime or any Metroid great is that it perfects all the elements of game design, be it control, level design, bosses, puzzles, music, atmosphere or pacing.  You need a genre that relies on those things, so it was always an adventure game with action. 

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 07:16:38 PM »
metroid prime had some of the worst boss encounters in memory. not only were the designs generic for the series, they often required repetitive silly tricks like visor or beam swapping, both of which are no-nos in fps design. thardus and the omega pirate were just obnoxiously unfun all around.
duc

etiolate

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 08:02:54 PM »
Thardus was the ice boss right? Because the ice boss was my favorite.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 08:23:03 PM »
no, he was the stone golem thing with the glowing heart you had to viw with a random visor
duc

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
The space pirates were pretty easy.  You could clear through a room of them  as long as you took every advantage you could (hint: you're in their base, there'll be some).  The boss battles were pretty fun because of visor/beam/morph ball switching which meant you had to be on your toes.  Very well designed because the first time you played every boss felt hard (fun to me though).  On hard, one boss actually wasn't balanced very well.  The omega pirate was way too hard because then those pirates that can only be hit by a specific beam would drop down while he was regenerating and it was way too sharp of a difficulty jump because you basically had to do acrobatics to avoid like 4 suped up space pirates but also get off some missle combos while looking with your heat or x-ray visor at the boss while he's recharging.  The missile count was pretty good at that part of the game and I remember having a pretty good number of energy tanks my second playthrough but that boss wasn't balanced well at all.  I found the whole second playthrough a LITTLE easier except for that one part.  Still easily the best game of all time in my opinion.

I never played Metroid Prime 2 though.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 08:52:29 PM »
Metroid Prime was kind of fun up until whenever I quit, which I think was the key part, at which point I was also just sick of the constant weapon and vizor switching, which was a really shitty game mechanic.

I tried to play it again once I got my Wii, and I couldn't get into either of them.  The controls are terrible.  The all auto aim, no dual analog makes it a chore to play.  So does holding down a button to strafe.  I think Metroid Prime was good enough when it launched, but it's certainly not a good game in the long run.  The MP series is also incredibly overrated by reviewers.  Even MP2, which everyone hates, is in the 90s.

I'm going to give MP3 another shot, but the fact that there's still auto-aim will probably sour me.  What's the point of having the wiimote if it's going to use auto?
serge

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 08:57:28 PM »
it doesn't use auto-aim, you press a button and you'll strafe around whoever you locked onto but you'll still have to aim at where you want to shoot him.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »
it doesn't use auto-aim, you press a button and you'll strafe around whoever you locked onto but you'll still have to aim at where you want to shoot him.

Lock on, auto aim, both are no good.  That's Win Button gaming.
serge

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 09:21:52 PM »
no, he was the stone golem thing with the glowing heart you had to viw with a random visor

..Which was the ice boss.

Lock on, auto aim, both are no good.  That's Win Button gaming.

It only locks your opponent on the center of the screen, it's still up to you to aim your gun at it.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 11:34:30 PM »
i was too busy futzing with the stupid visors to notice any ice effects!
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 11:35:08 PM »
It only locks your opponent on the center of the screen, it's still up to you to aim your gun at it.

which means aim at the center of the screen LOL.
duc

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 11:43:16 PM »
Way too tedious. If it was a good game perhaps I wouldn't mind backtracking and reading

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 11:45:27 PM »
I love MP1 to death...

I never couyld finish MP2 and mostly didnt like the things you citd about it in the OP.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 11:45:51 PM »
They shoulda replaced her cannon with a retail SKU gun. Same thing lol.
o_0

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 11:48:28 PM »
yeah MP3 will probably be the best controls you can expect in a fpa.  the last game was very well designed around timing your jumps and shots so that you could fend off multiple enemies (you just SUCK at games if you didn't like using the lock-on against challenging enemies) so I'd imagine the next game is going to make it easier for the weapon/level/AI design to fight the enemies.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 11:50:22 PM »
MP3 looks stupid to me. The gunplay is so boring, and it's just not a great series to show off the "superior" Wii FPS controls with. I'd rather play an actual FPS with the controller, but it seems like no developers care enough to try.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »
you haven't played a wii and you don't like the series.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 11:58:20 PM »
Samus and her shitty friends.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2007, 12:05:14 AM »
you haven't played a wii and you don't like the series.

I've played Wii many times. Well, I played the Wii many times before I got tired of it and its boring games. Seems like most people here agree. Wake me up when Mario Galaxy comes out

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2007, 12:15:35 AM »
the main point is that you didn't really like MP and then criticized MP3's controls based on a video.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2007, 12:17:53 AM »
MP IS CRAP GET OFF THIS FORUM!
o_0

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2007, 12:21:57 AM »
I didn't really even know what MP was until I did a search on gamespot and saw that it got the same score as halo so I figured all right I'll get it.  I DREADED that decision for the first couple hours but then I really liked it, maybe I made myself like it because I already paid for it.  I KNOW I like it though.

I KNOW I LIKE IT.

Rman

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2007, 09:51:41 AM »
One of the my favorite games of last generation.  Could not get into Echoes at all.

+Amazing atmosphere
+Soundtrack was top notch, remember Phendrana Drifts
+Great graphics at the times
+Balanced difficulty.  Not to difficult, but not a cakewalk like Nintendo recent flagship titles.

-Scanning was way too tedious.
-Relic quest reminded me too much of the Wind Waker triforce quest.  It killed a lot of the momentum.
-Story or lack thereof.

Beezy

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2007, 11:58:33 AM »
The artifacts fetch quest and the fact that you need to scan a bunch of shit to get the better ending were the only things that I didn't like about MP. I bought MP2 at full price and I didn't even play it more than 2 hours. I was already halfway through 2-3 RPGs at the time. I need to try it again some day. :-\

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2007, 06:12:12 PM »
I already had half the artifacts by the time I knew what an artifact was, it took very little time to get the rest. I never saw the big deal about that, unless you weren't exploring in the first place.

which means aim at the center of the screen LOL.

I'm pretty sure you can still move your perspective. It really just locks you down for circle strafing AFAIK. And it's optional.

Mana Knight

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2007, 07:01:25 PM »
I have never been a Metroid fan, but I thought Metroid Prime was okay.  Graphics were really good and the game was very well polished; however, it did not hold my interests long, so I traded the game in.  I never tried Metroid Prime 2 though.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2007, 08:39:21 PM »
Don't. It's overly tedious, and sooo damn repetitive. The lack of interesting environments doesn't help. I will admit that there's nothing better than the feeling of accomplishment when you stumble across some detail/door/weapon/etc you somehow missed 100 times before. Ala, there's nothing worse than playing the game for 3 hours and realizing you didn't accomplish shit.

I played the multiplayer like twice.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2007, 08:55:52 PM »
Haha, you played the multi? Describe how terrible it is.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
 :lol

Horrible gunplay, boring environments, and fucking Samus. I like her as a character, but she's totally boring in FPS. I wish Retro would do an actual FPS

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2007, 10:07:54 PM »
But how were the MORPH BALL LAUNCHERS

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2007, 10:53:01 PM »
Loved the first Metroid Prime. Probably the last game I ever played through.

Not Sure

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2007, 11:27:08 PM »

Horrible gunplay, boring environments, and fucking Samus. I like her as a character, but she's totally boring in FPS. I wish Retro would do an actual FPS

You were expecting a shooter.  It is not a shooter.  Not every game in FP has you shooting everything in sight.  I suggest you stick to EA games to satisfy your nіgger desires.

y2kev

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2007, 11:32:59 PM »

You were expecting a shooter.  It is not a shooter.  Not every game in FP has you shooting everything in sight.  I suggest you stick to EA games to satisfy your nіgger desires.

What should his desires in Multiplayer be?
haw

Not Sure

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2007, 11:36:30 PM »
What should his desires in Multiplayer be?
Multiplayer in Metroid is one person drawing a map and the other person playing the game
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:38:52 PM by luciverse »

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2007, 11:45:58 PM »
Loved Prime.  One of the best gaming experiences I've had in the 3d era.  Prime 2 was decent, but if someone had time to play only one, I'd recommend Prime every time.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2007, 11:56:21 PM »

Fuck you dickhead, it's MULTIPLAYER.

y2kev

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2007, 11:56:42 PM »

awesome  :lol
haw

Not Sure

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2007, 12:03:04 AM »

Another wanna be gangster.  Any nig can shot people wi'f a gun.  Can you honestly say you rolled into a ball and raced someone across the room?  Play outside the box.

Beezy

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2007, 12:08:49 AM »
I suggest you stick to EA games to satisfy your nіgger desires.
Don't start this shit here.

Not Sure

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2007, 12:14:03 AM »
I suggest you stick to EA games to satisfy your nіgger desires.
Don't start this shit here.

No EA love here either?