Author Topic: Warner to become Blu-ray exclusive  (Read 16908 times)

Warner to become Blu-ray exclusive
« on: January 04, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1700383,00.html

Warner Bros. Entertainment to Release its High-Definition DVD Titles Exclusively in the Blu-Ray Disc Format Beginning Later This Year
January 04, 2008

In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future."
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: Warner to become Blu-ray exclusive
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
:rofl :rofl

Looks like I'll be Blu Ray exclusive (except the inevitable firesale of HD DVD's in a few months)

cubicle47b

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 05:26:52 PM »
Well, fuck.  I guess that's about it for HD-DVD.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 05:27:44 PM »
Yus! Glad I picked THE WINNER
o_0

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »
Paramount is contractually obligated to HD-DVD until early 2009, and who knows about Universal.
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »
Say goodbye to all those BOGO sales, boys.  Straight $30-35 for every release now.  My HD buying habits will leave skidmarks from hitting the brakes so hard
sup

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
Say goodbye to all those BOGO sales, boys.  Straight $30-35 for every release now.  My HD buying habits will leave skidmarks from hitting the brakes so hard

Yup.  :'(
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
They better honor my five free HD DVDs offer I haven't remembered to mail in yet
sup

Rman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »
Yes.  I just want this format war to end.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »
Say goodbye to all those BOGO sales, boys.  Straight $30-35 for every release now.  My HD buying habits will leave skidmarks from hitting the brakes so hard
yeah, but you know there will be a huge hd dvd firesale soon.  that shit is dead now.  blu ray really did just win.

Rman

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 05:32:48 PM »

Looks like I'll be Blu Ray exclusive (except the inevitable firesale of HD DVD's in a few months)

Don't you have an HD-DVD, Moops?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 05:33:17 PM »

Don't you have an HD-DVD, Moops?
yes i do.  which is why i'll wait for the firesale of hd dvd's.  I don't really mind who wins this war.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »
Ugh, that lunatic Bill Hunt at digital bits is gloating.
sup

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 05:36:11 PM »
Ugh, that lunatic Bill Hunt at digital bits is gloating.

I know it's annoying, but he's been a big time supporter of BD since day one. Let him have his day in the sun. And, just don't read his site if it bothers you that much.

And besides, others would be acting the same way if HD-DVD won.
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »
I'm mostly pissed because I was hoping for at least another full year of $10 HD movies.  I was gonna be sad no matter who won, because I am a cheap motherscratcher.  All these dudes like Hunt and OokieSpookie act like they're overjoyed about paying full retail price again for movies they already bought 3 or 4 times in other home video formats.
sup

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 05:49:03 PM »
The Amazon BOGO Blu-ray deal is still up, although a lot of titles are no longer part of it. If you want cheap stuff, you might want to take advantage of it while you can.
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »
I've bought just about all the current stuff I want.  I was hoping for some deals throughout the year with upcoming releases.

Well, I'll snatch up all the HD DVD blowouts this Fall, I reckon
sup

jobber

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 05:58:10 PM »
HD-DVD is good enough for me.

cubicle47b

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 06:04:33 PM »
It was inevitable that blu-ray would eventually win (because of the studio support imbalance) but it's still a bit of a sad day.  I'm looking forward to the firesales, though.

All you blu-ray owners should be happy hd-dvd existed  The quality of blu-ray discs when the first players came out was terrible thanks to Sony insisting on using mpeg2 and hd-dvd went a long ways towards making them switch formats and driving costs down.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 06:10:11 PM »
I almost went HD-DVD. If this news was delayed a month I woulda been an HD-DVD person too
o_0

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »
whew glad I bought my movies in the WINNING format for WINNERS

at this point I'm sure Paramount is furiously scrambling for any possible escape clauses
乱学者

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
I'd like to see all that extra Blu Ray storage space put to good use.  Things like old TV shows shot on video aren't ever going to look any better in 1080p, so it would be cool having an entire season of a show on one disc in 480p instead of a big bulky-ass boxed set hanging off the shelf.
sup

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
you'd need to wait for bluray burners.  studios wouldn't want to give up the box set tradition.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »
you'd need to wait for bluray burners.  studios wouldn't want to give up the box set tradition.

I know, it's just wishful thinking.  Studios think people believe they're getting more for their money when they buy 10-disc sets or big-box Special Editions, but I'm personally pretty space-conscious.  I really dug the fact that, even though it's a five-disc set, the Die Hard Collection on Blu Ray is almost the exact width of a DVD case. 
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Warner Bros. is basically THE best studio for DVD releases.  I can't see HD-DVD winning this war, like, at all...I bet Harry "I chose HD-DVD, here's why!" Knowles is probably crying into his pillow right now.
PS4

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »
everytime harry does a weekly home video round up, he always goes out of his way to not show the Blu-ray version. it's really irritating
乱学者

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 06:52:53 PM »
Nowadays he puts the HD-DVD and DVD versions up, and then at the bottom puts a little link saying "(also available on Blu-Ray)" with a link to it so he can get some of that Amazon advertising money. :lol
PS4

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 07:00:29 PM »
right...if a movie is on HD DVD he puts up the HD DVD box. if it's on bluray he puts up the DVD and a little link to "also on Bluray"

oh, Harry

I'm waiting for the spin! probably about how Warner is denying consumers choice ;P
乱学者

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 07:09:17 PM »
:violin hd-dvd :violin
zzz

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »
We'll see how happy everyone is when that $35 new release with no discount retail reality hits, and stays that way for the next two years (until mass adoption eventually drives the prices down).  Remember, DVDs were expensive for a long time, even when the players dropped in price.  That said, even the titles I am marginally interested in get bought tomorrow if that Amazon BOGO is still going.
sup

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 07:15:16 PM »
HD will still be cheap, Eel.
乱学者

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 07:18:40 PM »
HD will still be cheap, Eel.

How do you figure?  The only reason they were so cheap these past few months is because of the format battle.  Player sales are still very niche.  Once there's only one game in town, there's no real reason for anyone to hurry up and price the HD media down to DVD levels.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 07:20:25 PM »
I am switching all the pre-orders I made to Blu Ray, with the exception of that Justice League New Frontier movie.  That's a combo disc on the HD DVD version.
sup

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »
Toshiba's response:

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

Toshiba continues to rally behind the more standalone players sold shtick, yet Warner clearly stated that they were going to look at software sales when making a decision.
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »
When they start clearing out the standalone HD DVD players, I'll probably pick up one for backup in the event my 360 add-on goes belly up.  At the very least it'll be a great upscaling DVD player for the bedroom.
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »
Maybe Microsoft will give us a free HD-DVD as compensation for the horrible service we got lololol
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 08:00:37 PM »
I think MS is secretly overjoyed about this.  They want you to download movies.
sup

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2008, 08:13:01 PM »
I hate digital music downloads, and I will hate digital movie downloads just as much.

PHYSICAL MEDIA FOR LIFE!
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »
I agree, but I get the feeling we'll be in the minority within a few years.  People are already being conditioned for it, and I must admit the thought has some appeal.  A virtual collection of movies, which you can redownload at any point, means never having to worry about discs getting scratched, movies going out of print, or selling out at Best Buy before you can get down there on your lunch break.  You'd probably have access to a lot of films that can't get any distribution otherwise, too.  You'd still "own" a copy to watch whenever you want, but you wouldn't own the disc.  The downside is you wouldn't be able to take it to a friend's house.  That's the ultimate goal of these companies, and has been since the advent of home video.  Divx and similar "perpetual rental" schemes didn't work out, so now they want everyone to be required to purchase their own copy.
sup

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 08:44:29 PM »
I love flipping through booklets, I like having something physical to show for giving companies my hard earned money.

I go out of my way and actually pay more for CD copies of stuff that's iTunes exclusive in the US. The only way I'll give in to the digital download monster is if all physical media formats cease to exist.
野球

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 10:59:20 PM »
It's a good thing I waited on the HD Warz.  :-*

Powerslave

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »
whats up ferrari man

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »
Doesnt this mean that the HD DVD add-on drive officially becomes X360's M2 accelerator?

http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/unreleased/m2.htm

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 11:14:29 PM »
Now someone lower the disc prices so I won't feel like a fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellow buying a $40 movie.   
Tacos

drohne

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2008, 11:17:39 PM »
brick and mortar prices for hd movies are ridiculous. online is your friend. i just got the shining and full metal jacket from amazon for $16 total. TOTAL. though i doubt we'll be seeing sales like that anymore

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2008, 11:20:19 PM »
brick and mortar prices for hd movies are ridiculous. online is your friend. i just got the shining and full metal jacket from amazon for $16 total. TOTAL. though i doubt we'll be seeing sales like that anymore

should have waited, you could have got them for $8 TOTAL in about a month after this announcement, lololol
fat

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2008, 11:23:21 PM »
apparently they cancelled, or postponed, the HD-DVD event at CES, lololol
fat

drohne

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2008, 11:27:29 PM »
bd versions. i buy a lot of stupid crap, but thankfully i never quite got to an hd-dvd player

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2008, 11:36:44 PM »
Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!

Bay

the Michael Bay kiss of death
fat

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2008, 11:46:59 PM »
hua hua hua
乱学者

drohne

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2008, 01:23:14 AM »
Yea, sorta like some facist army stomping thru the lands, raping and pillaging all in their way. And HD DVD was the resistance army, and they have finally fallen under the huge weigt of the facist party, and soon all will fall into darkness and there will be no such things as "dreams" or "hope" ever again. That's how I see it at least

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2008, 01:49:07 AM »
Glad this shit is pretty much over now. R.I.P. HD-DVD
AMC

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2008, 02:26:08 AM »
Yea, sorta like some facist army stomping thru the lands, raping and pillaging all in their way. And HD DVD was the resistance army, and they have finally fallen under the huge weigt of the facist party, and soon all will fall into darkness and there will be no such things as "dreams" or "hope" ever again. That's how I see it at least

at least sony shipped the discs on time
乱学者

Powerslave

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2008, 02:31:47 AM »
HD-DVD = dreams and hope :sonic

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2008, 02:49:47 AM »

Yes, because Tohsiba is not a megacorporation out to make a buck just like Sony. Nope, they're only in it for the little guy.  ::)

edit: Nevermind, I didn't realize this was copied from some crazy person's post on another board.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 03:19:50 AM by distantmantra »
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2008, 03:02:15 AM »
Wait, so PS3 wins? :o

i know how to pick em
fat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2008, 03:03:35 AM »
Wait, so PS3 wins? :o

At playing movies?  Yes.  Yes it does.
Tacos

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2008, 03:23:01 AM »
360 will eventually lose this generation. Whichever console I get first, loses.
AMC

xnikki118x

• Hanson Defense Force
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2008, 03:37:15 AM »
Okay, so I have all these normal DVDs. Will a Blu-ray (or HD-DVD, if that format wins this battle lol) player play them or am I going to have to buy all new ones?
:-*