Author Topic: The Bore Photography  (Read 107364 times)

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
Re: Evilbore Photography
« Reply #360 on: April 27, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
You took that, with a camera?   :o
WTF

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #361 on: April 27, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »
Thats sick, Sho Nuff. How many frames did that take (if more than one)?
:9

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #362 on: April 27, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »
Not a ton of frames, maybe about 8-10 or so. I was at a hot springs near Mt. Fuji and could just BARELY see the outline of the mountain. Didn't have a tripod so I just kind of plopped it down on the balcony and framed as best I could. Once I ran it through the HDR software I was like "Well, shit."

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #363 on: April 27, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »
it's a picture of what he has airbrushed on his van

:rofl

Great pic Mr. Nuff
©ZH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #364 on: April 27, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »
Not a ton of frames, maybe about 8-10 or so. I was at a hot springs near Mt. Fuji and could just BARELY see the outline of the mountain. Didn't have a tripod so I just kind of plopped it down on the balcony and framed as best I could. Once I ran it through the HDR software I was like "Well, shit."

Definitely came out real nice without even without a tripod

I bought a used canon g10 today :rock

Here's a link to real world samples to get your whistle wet

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_g10/

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #365 on: April 28, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »

Kinda liked this one too

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #366 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »
Flowers  :-* Spring all up in dis' shit

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #367 on: April 30, 2011, 09:38:14 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Kinda liked this one too

This is lovely, but I've always been partial to your artsy shots.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #368 on: September 25, 2011, 05:32:46 AM »
New stuff!

I'm extremely pleased with how the light rays came out

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #369 on: September 25, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »
:bow

i'm jerking off to this tonite

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #370 on: September 25, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »
BluTsunami is a picture god.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #371 on: October 14, 2011, 04:34:10 PM »
http://wokeuplate.tumblr.com/

Hey.  I shoot shows here locally.  I've only been shooting for two years and using a DSLR for a little over a year, but I've gotten managed to get a lot of very good shots.  I've started a tumblr to try to showcase ones that I like as going through a flickr set can sometimes be exhausting.

I'm actually very curious to get some input if I could. 

Tonya

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #372 on: October 14, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
http://wokeuplate.tumblr.com/

Hey.  I shoot shows here locally.  I've only been shooting for two years and using a DSLR for a little over a year, but I've gotten managed to get a lot of very good shots.  I've started a tumblr to try to showcase ones that I like as going through a flickr set can sometimes be exhausting.

I'm actually very curious to get some input if I could. 

The first four look fantastic but the last two look a tad underexposed to me (but maybe allowing more light would have killed the mood you captured). Concerts and small venues always have tough lighting with lots of movement (as I'm sure you already know) so with that in mind I thinkthey came out great with what you're working with.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #373 on: October 15, 2011, 07:22:04 AM »

The first four look fantastic but the last two look a tad underexposed to me (but maybe allowing more light would have killed the mood you captured). Concerts and small venues always have tough lighting with lots of movement (as I'm sure you already know) so with that in mind I thinkthey came out great with what you're working with.

these were shot with a 35 f1.8 in a dark club.  the final shot the band (Lost Tribe) used no house lighting and had a fog machine built for stadiums going the whole time in a tiny.  I was lucky enough to get that shot, lol.  I managed to catch the light from someone's AF assistance light.

sharp blue and red lights are a goddamn nightmare in post, i'm finding. 
Tonya

Bebpo

« Reply #374 on: October 16, 2011, 03:27:35 AM »
Some of the better shots from my Seattle trip (still have a few hundred pics left to edit)

Bebpo

« Reply #375 on: October 16, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »
My favorite picks from the rest of the group:

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #376 on: October 17, 2011, 12:22:14 AM »
That skyline looks beautiful

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #377 on: October 17, 2011, 04:34:55 AM »
Not bad Bebpo.

Think once cleaned up that last shot could be a winner :)

Also like the one with the plane.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #378 on: October 17, 2011, 09:09:58 AM »
MR. Gundam is so sexy.
©ZH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »
Blue, let's see some fall shots.

You made me go out and shoot around which I haven't been doing lately. Now I'm fired up to get some good Fall photos before the leaves are gone. Here's stuff from earlier today...

Protip for photographing leaves: Pay attention to where the Sun is. Colorful leaves will glow when you place the Sun at a 45º to 90º angle to the leaves you're photographing. The angle will have you shooting the opposite side of where the Sun is actually hitting the leaves.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:32:56 AM by BlueTsunami »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #380 on: February 13, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
Stuff from the past few weeks...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:39:28 PM by BlueTsunami »

Himu

« Reply #381 on: February 13, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »
Blue, I'd like to use some of your photos for professional work. A guy and I are doing a freelance thing soon, and I was hoping if we could use some of your photos. Of course we'll pay.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:40:58 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #382 on: February 13, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
Definitely, I'd be cool with that. Just message me with details and I can hook you up with full resolution files of any of the photos you like!

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #383 on: February 15, 2012, 05:19:15 AM »
Sweet.  The blog I shoot for just offered me the photo editor position as the old editor is moving on.

Also the New Museum has asked permission to run one of my photos in their (print) newsletter and Brooklyn Rail magazine has also asked permission to use some of my photos for their (print) magazine.
Tonya

G The Resurrected

« Reply #384 on: February 15, 2012, 06:25:34 AM »
I've just recently gotten into astrophotography got my Nikon 3100 ready to trek to the mountains this weekend. Hopefully I have enough batteries if not for the camera but the equatorial mount I built out of old telescope parts. If I'm right I should get a shot of the galaxy and not just a lot of bright stars. Any tips for this sort of photography?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2012, 08:18:19 AM »
Sweet.  The blog I shoot for just offered me the photo editor position as the old editor is moving on.

Also the New Museum has asked permission to run one of my photos in their (print) newsletter and Brooklyn Rail magazine has also asked permission to use some of my photos for their (print) magazine.

That's awesome. Its gotta feel good capturing and presenting the culture of one of the boroughs as you are.

I've just recently gotten into astrophotography got my Nikon 3100 ready to trek to the mountains this weekend. Hopefully I have enough batteries if not for the camera but the equatorial mount I built out of old telescope parts. If I'm right I should get a shot of the galaxy and not just a lot of bright stars. Any tips for this sort of photography?

I don't have any hands on experience with astrophotography other than knowing that getting Infinity focus is extremely important. With lenses and certain setups you can easily focus before and beyond Infinity and both will equal slightly blurry output. It seems like your camera has Live View so I'd use that (instead of the viewfinder) to insure infinity focus via magnification (Live View should come with 5x to 10x magnification). I believe people focus on a far distance in the landscape if you can't visibly make out the stars to achieve correct infinity focus.

Other than that, I've read you need a moderately fast lens or a camera that is good at higher ISOs to capture these masses without streaking.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:22:41 AM by BlueTsunami »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2012, 09:38:22 AM »
Not into photography but came across this and thought it might be of use to you guys:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

ScientificNinja

« Reply #387 on: February 16, 2012, 07:04:18 AM »
Nice to see so many familiar old names here. Well, here are some photos I've had kicking around.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #388 on: February 16, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »

Haven't seen you in the GAF photo threads in a while

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #389 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:55 AM »
Please rename thread to Blu Tour de Force.

Skidmark

« Reply #390 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »
I am new to photography so I do not have much to share but here are a couple of my favourites:

Btw, do you guys notice that photo hosting website do slightly change the colours of the pics that you upload?

Himu

« Reply #391 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »
First and last are definitely my favorites.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #392 on: February 16, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
I am new to photography so I do not have much to share but here are a couple of my favourites:

[img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/Skidsmark/IMG_5197.jpg[img]

[img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/Skidsmark/IMG_5173-2.jpg[img]

[img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/Skidsmark/IMG_5100.jpg[img]

[img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/Skidsmark/IMG_5072.jpg[img]

[img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/Skidsmark/IMG_5857-3.jpg[img]

[img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/Skidsmark/IMG_4610.jpg[img]

Btw, do you guys notice that photo hosting website do slightly change the colours of the pics that you upload?

For being new to this, skidmark, you have an eye for impactful composition. Absolutely love your last photo! As far as color, some photo hosting sites tend to mess with photos (like sharpening photos and processing them in other ways) but I haven't heard about them messing with color. I'd try out making a free Flickr account since I know for a fact that they do not touch photos beyond sharpening a photo for different sizes. The original sized photo (which I upload as 1024px on the long edge or 800px on the long edge for portrait orientation) is always untouched.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #393 on: February 16, 2012, 04:51:49 PM »
New to photography my ass, great shots man.

Skidmark

« Reply #394 on: February 16, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
I worked with photoshop for a couple of years so I guess i know how to find the right crop and so on. Thanks for the compliments guys, hearing them is very motivating!

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #395 on: February 16, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
Finding the right crop is an art in itself.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #396 on: February 16, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
I agree about cropping. I'm a bit meticulous when I hit the post processing aspect with perfecting whatever I had seen in the scene I had captured via cropping. I account for the weight of objects in the photo (subject mass and color intensity and how they pull the eye) and lines. When talking about the curvature of ones photographic abilities paying attention to composition can give your photos a huge boost. It shows actual intent versus just photographing cool things.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:20:35 PM by BlueTsunami »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #397 on: February 16, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
I shoot predominately with a 35MM 1.8 and I find myself rarely cropping.  I will usually move closer to or farther from my subject(s). 

I am absolutely horrible at post processing.  I will usually just choose basic "came with aperture" settings and go with that.  Post processing seems really intimidating to me.
Tonya

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #398 on: February 16, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »
You should try out Lightroom, Eric. If anything its a great program for cataloging photos. It makes use of info in each of your photos EXIF data to separate the date taken, equipment used and other info. You can also annotate for each file to differentiate even further. Beyond that it makes post processing a breeze. I generally mess with tweaking exposure and white balance or black and white conversions. I shoot purely RAW though (which allows for much larger latitude in post manipulation).

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #399 on: February 16, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »
I should give that a shot.  I never really deviated from med jpg because it just shows up on Flickr and Impose.
Tonya

Skidmark

« Reply #400 on: February 16, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »
I should give that a shot.  I never really deviated from med jpg because it just shows up on Flickr and Impose.
If you are going to use lightroom then try shooting in RAW, the difference is very well pronounced in terms of what you can do. Very little grain and noise and the image stays crisp and sharp when trying something very extreme for example.

ScientificNinja

« Reply #401 on: February 16, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »

Haven't seen you in the GAF photo threads in a while

Thanks. I actually made a conscious decision not to post anymore photos on GAF a long time ago. I just didn't fit in well. MAF told me things are a lot more laid back here, so, here I am :)

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #402 on: February 17, 2012, 09:27:56 AM »
I shot in Raw last night for the first time and it certainly made post a lot easier.  I was able to tease these images from really dark beginnings (especially the beer can)

Tonya

ScientificNinja

« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2012, 06:55:03 AM »
Here's one I took of myself recently at the launch of The Walking Dead.

Had us a barrel of laughs  :D

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #404 on: February 25, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
Nice! What was the earlier band you were shooting? Those looked like pro shots to me.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #405 on: February 25, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
Here's one I took of myself recently at the launch of The Walking Dead.

Had us a barrel of laughs  :D

Your 365 series are the best!
o_0

ScientificNinja

« Reply #406 on: February 26, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »
Nice! What was the earlier band you were shooting? Those looked like pro shots to me.

Thanks! I was able to get up pretty close.
1. Rammstein. I think in that set I discovered just how much I love smoke machines.
2. Tool. Dude spent most of the time hiding in the shadows.
3. Jim Jones Revue.

ScientificNinja

« Reply #408 on: March 29, 2012, 01:34:18 AM »
Recent trip to Tokyo. Took my gear with me.

Bebpo

« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2012, 02:50:57 AM »
I sort of bailed out of this thread because I stopped taking photos and some of you guys are on such another level, I'm not sure my photos really belong.

But it was a nice day today so I went and did some shooting after work.  Went to the beach and ran around in my work clothes taking pictures. 

Because it's big and a weird aspect ratio (I think there's a good picture in the middle of this but I need to re-frame it):
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:55:51 AM by Bebpo »

ScientificNinja

« Reply #410 on: June 06, 2012, 02:56:27 AM »
Bebpo: really liking that last shot. Curious: how come you didn't clean up the bit of lens flare in the middle?

Bebpo

« Reply #411 on: June 06, 2012, 03:03:23 AM »
Well, I don't know how to edit photos =P  All I can do is crop them in irfanview by hitting ctrl+y and rotate them from the menu.

I never took any photo classes and I've never used photoshop and don't know how to use it.  It limits my photo touch-up ability.  Learning that stuff is probably the next step I need to making better photos.  Well, that and a tripod because I can never shoot anything straight so I have to rotate a lot of my shots in irfanview to correct the straightness and they lose sharpness when I do that, which is no fun.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #412 on: June 06, 2012, 03:30:50 AM »
Love that last one Bebpo.

Bebpo

« Reply #413 on: June 06, 2012, 03:33:34 AM »
Thanks guys <3

Going to try to get back in the habit of taking photos regularly.  Gotta keep shooting to get better and maybe I'll take a class, hire a tutor to learn how to touch up photos.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #414 on: June 06, 2012, 03:38:43 AM »
Just keep shooting man and experiment with photo editing, cropping etc.

ScientificNinja

« Reply #415 on: June 06, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »
I never took any photo classes and I've never used photoshop and don't know how to use it.  It limits my photo touch-up ability.  Learning that stuff is probably the next step I need to making better photos.  Well, that and a tripod because I can never shoot anything straight so I have to rotate a lot of my shots in irfanview to correct the straightness and they lose sharpness when I do that, which is no fun.

I'd suggest downloading some free photo-editing software like GIMP and experiment with it a little. I think you'll benefit quite a lot from it. The 40 seconds I spent straightening the image, adjusting levels and removing the lens flare made a world of difference (I did it for fun, not to be creepy or anything...).

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #416 on: June 06, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »
Also really like that backlight image of the beach, bebpo. I'm watching Dune right now and its hitting the same notes as the movie.

Also editing is very simple, it just requires familiarity with the tools. Fortunately the more you use it the better you get. Its how I learned how to use Photoshop and Lightroom. If you take a lot of photos you may like the workflow of Lightroom. I personally edit every single on of my photos. But I'm highly sensitive to when my photos are slightly eschew and I always end up cropping my photo to bring various elements into balance (more so than I could at the time of capture).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:24:28 PM by BlueTsunami »

Bebpo

« Reply #417 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »
Cool.  Will check some of these programs out. 

I'd suggest downloading some free photo-editing software like GIMP and experiment with it a little. I think you'll benefit quite a lot from it. The 40 seconds I spent straightening the image, adjusting levels and removing the lens flare made a world of difference (I did it for fun, not to be creepy or anything...).

Can I see this version you made?

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #418 on: June 06, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
you guys rock- keep em coming
o_0

Bebpo

« Reply #419 on: June 06, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »
Here's another one from that batch that I didn't post anywhere because I thought it was kind of repetitious since there's already another symmetry line divide photo that I liked posted above.  But my dad saw the set and he really liked this one, so I'll post it up as well:

I think the first one I posted in my first set is my favorite from this group because it looks like I'm playing GTA :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:17:24 PM by Bebpo »