Author Topic: The Bore Photography  (Read 108677 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: The Bore Photography
« Reply #660 on: December 16, 2019, 02:42:15 AM »
I think you went for too broad a "picture". Try to focus on the smaller details and tell those intimate stories. Photos like that bring you close to people, let you see them in ways that even they don't often see themselves. Try to get the story you tell to be about those intimate details rather than trying to capture everything all in one go.

Shit is hard to do, but you can only get better by practicing and testing yourself. I find it really difficult to do something like that, get personal with strangers. Keep going Cindi, I want to see more!
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #661 on: December 16, 2019, 02:51:46 AM »
The great thing about the 5Ws and the H is that there is an infinite variety of ways to answer those questions.

For example:
Who - Crazy/nice/eccentric Canadian couple who started a hockey bar in Houston
What - What makes the bar unique? The Poutine/Canadian food? The drinks? The hockey? The hockey/Canadian memorabilia?
Where: Where do these people come from? The owners/customers etc. Are they locals, tourists, expatriate Canadians looking for a reminder of home?
How - How did they get started?
Why - why do they think Houston needs a Canadian hockey bar? Why do the customers go there?
When - rather than going on a Sunday when people are watching football (which I assume most bars in Houston are playing), find out when they have something else on that is a little unique to that place. Is hockey season on right now? Would be more interesting to see who watches hockey in Houston than who watches football.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #662 on: December 16, 2019, 03:01:36 AM »
Good ideas on how to approach it.

I just dropped in honestly and researched a little beforehand. Unfortunately my work schedule is wonky. Fortunately there will NHL games on tomorrow so the bar should be more active. We'll see what I can get
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #663 on: December 17, 2019, 08:16:49 AM »
I'm no where near a professional but I do like how some of my pics from my Italy vacation came out:

^_^

Himu

« Reply #664 on: December 17, 2019, 03:18:28 PM »
Whew.

:drool
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #665 on: December 17, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
idk what kinda lens your camera body can take but look into a 50mm lens with a low ap
Agree. I love my 50mm 1.8/f Canon lens. It's the cheapest lens they make, but the shit you can do with it is amazing. Decent image quality too.

What camera do you have?
^_^

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #666 on: December 17, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
idk what kinda lens your camera body can take but look into a 50mm lens with a low ap
Agree. I love my 50mm 1.8/f Canon lens. It's the cheapest lens they make, but the shit you can do with it is amazing. Decent image quality too.

What camera do you have?
60D
Spud

Himu

« Reply #667 on: December 18, 2019, 10:10:39 PM »
sd
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:36:58 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #668 on: December 25, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »
Been reprocessing old photos and came across this one of Niagara falls in Winter that I liked. Never really get the chance to capture seagulls like this, with an interesting backdrop.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 10:04:20 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #669 on: January 04, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »

Light painting is fun as hell if you're into still life. I used my cellphone flashlight wrapped in a white T-shirt to diffuse the light somewhat. I then found, when I moved the light source from side to side with the T-shirt hanging, it created this painterly texture. From there I manipulated what I found into this almost tornado like backdrop. This is why I love this art form so much. Actually artistic expression in general. That feeling when you stumble into something you didn't initially set out to use, or had no idea even existed? There is nothing like it.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #670 on: February 01, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »
Well, it's official, just placed a purchase on a film body online out in Japan. The OG Nikon FM. I'll be able to use my 28/2 Zeiss Distagon, 105/2.5 Nikon, and 300/4 Nikon without adapters since they have native F Mounts. So fucking excited for this.

Researching films I may vibe best with and color would possibly be a slide film with Portra or Velvia and B&W would be TriX or HP5, depending on the scenario (contrasty pucnh, TriX, moody dusk and night shots, HP5).

I figure I spend a lot of time trying to emulate film in some cases. Why not save time and just shoot it?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:08:14 PM by BlueTsunami »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #671 on: February 13, 2020, 09:01:27 PM »

:shaqc

Paired with my Zeiss. Pretty handsome.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #672 on: April 03, 2020, 06:53:03 AM »
I never shoot video. It all just seems so involved and obtuse to me compared to just shooting a single still frame but I had fun with this...

*Best seen in full screen since I shot it in portrait to use the most screen real estate for the rising smoke

Employed my experience with light, and framed it as I would a still frame. Used my TV at an angle with a flashlight so the light did not hit the wall but raked the smoke and incence holder. May experiment with these short videos more often now if the subject is right.

Cheddahz

« Reply #673 on: April 03, 2020, 10:05:21 AM »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #674 on: February 25, 2021, 09:45:11 PM »
No posts for almost a year, wtf mens and nephews. First 3 are with a new small mirrorless i bought (x100v), still struggling with it tbh, but I like the images it produces. Rest are some old ones I found from Cebu (except the football one, which is copenhagen)

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #675 on: February 26, 2021, 05:41:51 AM »
Alreet. Some recent faves

地平線

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #676 on: February 26, 2021, 08:05:42 AM »
Oh yeah and also this:

Because of the panini, I haven't been able to travel outside of my city for a really long time. Back in November, I went through a particularly bad inspiration slump, so I decided to revisit my discarded shots from my latest Tokyo trip in 2017 and maybe do some re-edits. Was pretty happy with these two. These were on the a7 Mk1, but even those RAW:s leave quite a bit of room for editing.

Raw from camera:

After re-edit:

Raw from camera:

After re-edit:

地平線

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #677 on: February 26, 2021, 08:41:19 AM »
Great photos, especially enjoyed the last stuff. As someone who is not great at editing, it's amazing what a difference it made to those photos.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #678 on: October 22, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »
 the x100v in low light was a mixed bag. had real trouble focusing at a concert.

Himu

« Reply #679 on: March 13, 2023, 04:40:14 PM »
I went on a morning walk with my Canon 5D Mark II. It was cloudy so I focused on composition. I had a lot of fun. I haven't used a 50mm in years and it's a pretty freeing lens after nothing but 28mm for 2 years straight.

Last one for Glenda.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:26:13 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #680 on: March 15, 2023, 04:12:06 AM »
I don't want to get another mirrorless after my experience with my Canon.

This is my first dslr and it's the perfect medium between film and digital.

People say DSLR is heavy but I literally, literally held my Canon A-1 film camera, then my Mark II, THEN my X-Pro 2 and while yeah the X-Pro 2 is lighter than the 5d Mark II the 5D was still relatively light in comparison to the the A-1, which is built like a tank. I actually find the size of the Mark 2 deceptive. It's big and tank like and yet still light enough to be carried one handed with ease and comfortably fits into my hand unlike the A-1 which feels so delicate (it is!) and heavy like holding a damn baby.  There have been shoots with the X-Pro 2, especially in windy winter Manhattan weather where the X-Pro being so light was actually a negative. Basically, the DSLR is heavier than the mirrorless but it's not HEAVY. Not like a film camera is.

Shoot on what you want. Any camera is better than no camera. But I simply find DSLR more fun I guess. It's like driving stick versus automatic.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 12:05:54 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #681 on: March 16, 2023, 08:58:25 PM »
edit: del
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:50:34 PM by Himu »
IYKYK