Author Topic: Ok, Fuck FF12  (Read 10962 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Ok, Fuck FF12
« on: November 12, 2006, 02:46:56 PM »
The Demon Wall shit is garbage. Im fucking over-leveled for the entire area right before it, I have the best equipment I know I can fucking buy, spells dont do shit, quickening at least "HELPS", and the Wall casts so many status effects I spend more time removing blind and sleep than hitting the fucking wall before it smashes me against the door and kills my party.

Bullshit.
o_0

Himu

Re: Ok, Fuck FF12
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »
If you try to trade it in at gamestop you can only get like 20 bucks or some shit  :-\
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 02:48:28 PM »
Listen, I am not sure if you're aware, but this is a FINAL FANTASY game.  You really can't hate it.
PSP

MrAngryFace

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 02:48:54 PM »
*sob*

The joke of a strategy guide just points out obvious options.

USE GAMBITS N QUICKENINGS! HIT IT A LOT!

Anyone who has beat this thing tell me what level I need to be to hit hard enough. I even have a crapload of the attack and hp boosting license tiles. Fuck, the boss RIGHT before this boss was EASY.
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 02:49:51 PM »
Trade-in value for FINAL FANTASY games are so low because you're NOT supposed to trade them in.  They're FINAL FANTASY games.  They're amazing.  Nothing is wrong with the game, something is wrong with you.
PSP

Himu

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »
 :lol
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 02:50:27 PM »
God I hate this game. Now im gonna have to take a break from my ps2 for a few days because of all the BAD FEELINGS that now exist.

What makes me mad is I DOMINATED VP2, a game with a battle system that depends on skill. HOWEVER I CANT BEAT FF12 CAUSE THE GAMES SYSTEM IS BENDING ME OVER AND SHOVING ITS DICK UP MY ASS!
o_0

Himu

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 02:51:04 PM »
<ps2> The feeling is mutual!  >:( Traitor!

Don't let FFXII rile you up, maf. Put in some awesome game and feel good! A good ps2 -> gamer relationship = a happy gamer. DO NOT GIVE THAT UP.
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 02:51:11 PM »
What is wrong with you? I can't believe you'd stoop so low as to troll FINAL FANTASY::)
PSP

MrAngryFace

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 02:53:46 PM »
I AM GOING TO TRY ONE MORE TIME IF I DONT WIN I AM EATING A TV DINNER AND WATCHING STARGATE THE REST OF THE DAY
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 02:55:16 PM »
OK IM AN IDIOT APPARENTLY I CAN RUN AWAY!

IM GLAD THE STRAT GUIDE REINFORCED THAT IDEA WITH TINY TEXT AND MADE THE BOSS FIGHT SECTION BIG
o_0

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 03:23:05 PM »
This game does suck, and I love Matsuno games.
püp

MrAngryFace

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 03:23:30 PM »
Yeah Im apparently stupid, but I still hate this game.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 03:24:42 PM »
This game does suck, and I love Matsuno games.

What's the backlash like at gaf? Any bans?
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »
Amir0x banned a fair few folks for bagging on it. It's really a busted game, apparently.
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 03:28:19 PM »
SEE WE DONT BAN PEOPLE FOR HATING ON IT HERE! I JUST SPAM THEM!
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »
Lol you run away from the first one, and a second one tries to kill you.

luckily its much easier then the first, and you can use those magic firepits? to slow it down, or if you choose wrong, speed it up.

Anyway if you beat the first one, it opens up the possibility of getting a really powerful sword. Like 63atk
萌え~

MrAngryFace

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 03:49:42 PM »
Yeah I beat the second one.  Ill come back later to beat the first one. I managed to steal a crapload of blood swords off bats n shit which blew my mind so vaan has that now, but basch has a hammer, panelo has a ROD and ashe has a GUN
o_0

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »
Is the game out in Europe yet? If not, sell it to some unlucky bastard

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 04:53:30 PM »
Yeah I had trouble with the first one, just run away from it, and beat the crap out of the second.

Whjen you finish the tomb and get the Dawn Shard, don't leave because you get a cutscene when you pass the orange crystal and down the steps and are thrown out of the Tomb. Give your people Quickenings, and make sure you have enough to do two of them (1 per person at least), you should get at least 3/4 of the first wall's health down if you get some nice chains going, giving you enough time to beat the rest out of it.

If you beat the first one, you can get a Demonsbane sword which is pretty nice where you are now. That's it. If you don't want the sword just leave it alone and continue the game.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 04:55:27 PM by demi »
fat

cubicle47b

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 06:42:11 PM »
I beat the first one with use of a hastaga item and making 3 out of the 4 fighters berserk beforehand.  The last character hitting when possible but more being there to take blind off of the berserk/hasted characters.  It took more than a few tries.  If I had more than one quickening at the time it would have been a hell of a lot easier.

wave-E

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 08:07:54 PM »
Ahh, but this is the shit I love about this FF.  It took me a few whipes, but that made it sweet when I did drop it.  And hard, optionaly shit is everywhere, perfect for me.  I just ran across a super hard esper...again...I love that.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 08:20:20 PM »
Amir0x banned a fair few folks for bagging on it. It's really a busted game, apparently.

It is.  It really is.  Like, the game is just one huge clusterfuck of half-assed attempts to try and make itself different from the rest of the Final Fantasy franchise.  The ONLY thing worth teh purchase is the excellent production values.  It really does nail the epic, political conflict shit very well, but the gameplay is so incredibly jarring that you don't even remember the story shit at all when you're in a fucking dungeon for 4 hours doing THE SAME SHIT OVER AND OVER again.

Oh look, there's the 564th skeleton defender I've seen.  STEAL ATTACK BLACK MAGIC STEAL ATTACK BLACK MAGICSTEAL ATTACK BLACK MAGICSTEAL ATTACK BLACK MAGIC.

Not to mention the balance issues.  You never truly know how powerful you should be in the game at cetain points, until you realize how royally fucked up you get by the demon walls and shit.

It's such a shame.  Such awesome presentation with broken gameplay, and it'll switch back to godawful story with pretty sweet gameplay.  I'll take the latter, but damn.

And Amir0x is a tool.
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 08:23:59 PM »
I think the first Demon Wall is intentionally powerful, your character even says "FIGHT OR RUN CHOOSE", plus the fact that all it defends is a powerful sword gives more of a reason, whereas the second wall is clobbered in no time.
fat

wave-E

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 08:43:27 PM »

It is.  It really is.  Like, the game is just one huge clusterfuck of half-assed attempts to try and make itself different from the rest of the Final Fantasy franchise.  The ONLY thing worth teh purchase is the excellent production values.  It really does nail the epic, political conflict shit very well, but the gameplay is so incredibly jarring that you don't even remember the story shit at all when you're in a fucking dungeon for 4 hours doing THE SAME SHIT OVER AND OVER again.

Oh look, there's the 564th skeleton defender I've seen.  STEAL ATTACK BLACK MAGIC STEAL ATTACK BLACK MAGICSTEAL ATTACK BLACK MAGICSTEAL ATTACK BLACK MAGIC.

Not to mention the balance issues.  You never truly know how powerful you should be in the game at cetain points, until you realize how royally fucked up you get by the demon walls and shit.

It's such a shame.  Such awesome presentation with broken gameplay, and it'll switch back to godawful story with pretty sweet gameplay.  I'll take the latter, but damn.

And Amir0x is a tool.
I could not disagree any harder.  I'm very much a classic jrpg gamer, so it isn't that I don't enjoy typical ff fare, but the gameplay in ffxii is enjoyable as hell for me.  I'm not going to put it in absolute terms as forum peeps too often do, but there is a great deal to enjoy here.  It's too bad you don't dig it.
On the other hand, I'm not completely sold on the story.  I mean, I certainly prefer it to recent final fantasy offerings, but coming off Xenosaga Ep III, I'm a bit underwhelmed.  This could change, as there's a great deal to like.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 10:11:31 PM »
Lol, Wild Arms 4 had a better story than Xenosaga III.  You should left that last part out and I woulda filed your opinion in the drawer marked "credible".

But now...
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »
Quote from: wave-R
On the other hand, I'm not completely sold on the story.  I mean, I certainly prefer it to recent final fantasy offerings, but coming off Xenosaga Ep III, I'm a bit underwhelmed

there's not enough lulz in Lolzistan to address this
duc

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2006, 10:34:05 PM »
I'm starting to regret my FF12 purchase and I haven't even gotten it in the mail yet.  :(
yar

MrAngryFace

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2006, 10:36:01 PM »
emperor: play it anyway, you might be one of the few people that are like WOWza.

Despite my reservations I think this is one of the best FF casts umm ever, and the story is really good.
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2006, 10:36:30 PM »
Let us never mention xenosaga again.
萌え~

MrAngryFace

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2006, 10:38:26 PM »
Im thinking Wave-E is that tabris guy from GAF
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2006, 10:45:20 PM »
emperor: play it anyway, you might be one of the few people that are like WOWza.

Despite my reservations I think this is one of the best FF casts umm ever, and the story is really good.

Yah, one of the things that appealed to me was that apparently the main character wasn't all "omg emo" and apparently there's no jrpg stereotypical love triangle of complete predictability.  At least, that's my understanding.
yar

MrAngryFace

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 10:46:25 PM »
no one in this game is OMG emo, and that has kept me playing despite all else. I respect a game with respectable hardcore characters.
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2006, 10:50:11 PM »
Actually, the concept art doesnt represent the models that well. To be fair the game most guilty of sexual ambiguity is TALES OF THE ABYSS. Fon Master Ion would be a mystery out of context.
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 10:51:18 PM »
no one in this game is OMG emo, and that has kept me playing despite all else. I respect a game with respectable hardcore characters.

No typical FF ambiguous boy/girls?

Well, Vaan looks kind of girlish, but from what I understand he doesn't act like the traditional FF main hero.  He's like, supposed to be lighthearted and stuff.
yar

MrAngryFace

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
he's not really lighthearted, but its nice to see him and penelo dont have some forced relationship, they're just like brother and sister played straight, no weird crap.
o_0

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 11:20:18 PM »
I just started the game tonight. The story and presentation so far seems better than any other FF imo. Everyone says this game is hard though and I know that is going to piss me off soon when I get later in the game so I guess I better start grinding.

lol @ all the OMG THE GAME PLAYS ITSELF IT'S TOO EASY crap that people were saying before the release.

Himu

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2006, 11:23:12 PM »
And Amir0x is a tool.

UNBAN ME DAMMIT

lol @ all the OMG THE GAME PLAYS ITSELF IT'S TOO EASY crap that people were saying before the release.

Most bosses I just sit there......lol
IYKYK

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2006, 11:24:41 PM »
I don't think I'll ever use gambits for all 3 characters at once.

Himu

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 11:25:33 PM »
Then have fun micro managing the most AWFUL piece of shit ever
IYKYK

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2006, 11:38:48 PM »
Then have fun micro managing the most AWFUL piece of shit ever

No Gambits for me! I am having loads of fun micromanaging the fuck out of Final Fantasy XII.
野球

Himu

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2006, 11:40:22 PM »
It's annoying as shit to me. Takes out the fun. Batlte system was wayyyyyy better before gambits were introduced and you solo'd with Vaan
IYKYK

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2006, 11:45:26 PM »
Did you like KOTOR? Because honestly, FFXII's battle system is highly reminiscent of KOTOR... well, to me at least.
野球

Himu

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2006, 11:47:53 PM »
KOTOR's battle system sucked ass
IYKYK

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2006, 11:48:38 PM »
I'm surprised more media outlets didn't bring this up in their previews and reviews. This would be the easiest way to describe FFXII's battle system.

Good thing you're banned from GAF, cause I have a feeling that Ami would ban you as soon as hit the official FFXII thread.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 11:51:04 PM by distantmantra »
野球

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2006, 11:54:39 PM »
KOTOR's battle system sucked ass

I'm no longer taking you seriously about anything.  That's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internets.
yar

Himu

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2006, 11:57:45 PM »
I did. Hardly strategic. Mash mash mash until enemies die bullshit.
IYKYK

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2006, 12:08:38 AM »

So no different from the Tales games, in my opinion.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2006, 12:10:22 AM »
Its not like your micro-ing anything incredibly deep. Its micro-ing tedious shit. Plus if I didnt have the strat guide there's a few enemies and areas I wouldnt have known were one hit kill fuckers.

Almost lost an hour of play to a stupid elemental thing in the desert. Hit my WHOLE party with 1000 dmg spell. LAME.

Dont get me wrong, ill keep playing cause I like everything BUT the gameplay, annnd I guess at 20 hours that's still enough for me.

Also VP2 still has a superior battle system. Much more intense and imo fun.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2006, 12:12:32 AM »

So no different from the Tales games, in my opinion.

Except in Tales you don't have to sit there and watch characters do the same action shit over and over. You actually do the actions.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2006, 12:13:51 AM »
Tales has moves n stuff. Tales battle systems are fun I guess but I dont feel I have as much control as I want there either. Im only about 13 hours into TotA

If neither of you fuckers have played VP2 I am sad for the fucking world. Took me 54 hours to beat, but it was a blissful 54 hours :)
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2006, 12:14:16 AM »
My gambits so far are

IF ALLY < 60% HP USE CURE

ELSE ATTACK

END IF

by the end of final fantasy xii you are ready to program in QBASIC
fat

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2006, 12:15:02 AM »
Its not like your micro-ing anything incredibly deep. Its micro-ing tedious shit. Plus if I didnt have the strat guide there's a few enemies and areas I wouldnt have known were one hit kill fuckers.

I didn't buy the guide, so I had to stumble upon the werewolves the hard way near the beginning of the game. Evil fuckers camped out at the beginning of the map and raped Vaan hardcore, but they were nice, and left Penelo alive before running away.

I own and have thoroughly played VP2, great game, with a battle system much improved over the original.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2006, 12:18:11 AM »
Agreed, VP2 battle system is OMG all over original.
o_0

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2006, 12:21:56 AM »
Agreed, VP2 battle system is OMG all over original.

Yup. Much more fun.

That's my big gripe with the Tales (and Star Ocean) games, very little to no control at all over the events. I yelled at my teammates so much, I was stunned at the idiotic AI. That's why I love FFXII's battle system, I have control over everything that happens.
野球

wave-E

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2006, 12:50:26 AM »
Lol, Wild Arms 4 had a better story than Xenosaga III.  You should left that last part out and I woulda filed your opinion in the drawer marked "credible".

But now...
I've no respect for this opinion.  I don't know if you've not played episode III, if you don't get it, or if you're one of those that likes to say it's too pretentious for a videogame.
Videogames are not novels.  They should not tell that sort of story.  But a game can express feelings and truths and bits of story in their own brilliant artistic fashion.  It's not likely to happen in an industry that requires so much money for every offering, but when a director is given free reign and achieves some degree of artistic worth, I'll be first to praise the effort.  Xenosaga goes far beyond that.
The game is a wealth of ideas, and not the childish pop philosophy of something like the Matrix, but truly deep, modernist thought.  Most gamers won't consider the value questions implied throughout, but that's a weak artistic criticism.  Every hour of the game sent me in spirals of thought, and that's something I crave in everything I do.

And I was wave-E on neogaf, no one else.  I wasn't established when I was banned, you won't recognize me.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2006, 12:56:40 AM »
it's a wealth of stupid, shallow ideas cribbed from Qabalah and Gnosticism and shoehorned into the game without any real understanding of the source material; and stupidly punctuated with nonsense acronyms and scenes stolen from far better (yet still shallow) anime series. A science-fiction version of Umberto Eco this game is very much NOT.

if you think Xenosaga 3 is good from an artistic perspective, I doubt you've read any decent fiction, post-modern sci-fi or otherwise. Xenosaga 3 is animu crap with the same shitty existentialist veneer that embarasses so much of anime itself. Halfway through 3 I simply stopped playing just because it became so fuckin' SILLY in the way college freshman creative writing students are so painfully and earnestly SILLY. I'll take a thousand cliched Tales games over pompous and self-credulous FANFIC like Xenosaga 3.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 01:00:35 AM by Drinky Crow »
duc

wave-E

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2006, 01:00:58 AM »
Hrmm, I've noticed you talk out of your ass quite a bit, Drinky.
The game offers a great deal of layered, wonderful thought.  You are absolutely missing out if you've any interest in philosophy and video games.

And yes, I read more than is healthy.

Edit: absolutely not existentialist (well, as not existentialist as something of its nature could be), that's the easiest to refute as it's on face incorrect, but the "anime rip off, pour gnosticism" bullshit that you people seem to pass around deserves a proper response I'm not willing to give right now.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 01:08:04 AM by wave-E »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2006, 01:02:52 AM »
Gee, I have degrees in English and Computer Science, you'd think I'd be interested in both those things

that said, I'd love to see some of this "layered thought" in the game, whatever that means -- how about you sell me on Xenosaga 3 and I'll suppress my lulz long enough to let you plead your case
duc

wave-E

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2006, 01:08:41 AM »
At work tomorrow, perhaps.