Author Topic: your biggest internet pet peeves?  (Read 23891 times)

Powerslave

Re: your biggest internet pet peeves?
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2008, 07:04:16 PM »
Oh that reminds me...

people who say "I think I'm going to puke"

STFU

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »
Another one:

People who say they want to play Metal Gear Solid 1-4 in japanese. Why? The game has American characters, not a single jap, and you want to play it in a moonlanguage that doesn't make sense for the characters?
USA

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2008, 09:46:27 PM »
Another one:

People who say they want to play Metal Gear Solid 1-4 in japanese. Why? The game has American characters, not a single jap, and you want to play it in a moonlanguage that doesn't make sense for the characters?

I can't recall seeing floods of posts from people saying this.  MGS is one series I only want to play in English.  The voice actors fit better to me.  But it's not like Russian characters speaking English makes any sense, either.   :P  Gnerally I just like to watch stuff in whatever its original language is.  With games, it just depends on how the voice actors do.  Unfortunately a large amount of English-dubbed games have ultra-shitty voice acting.  The Japanese versions come off as better-acted, BUT at the same time, use tons of cliche lines and voice styles, plus often have annoying "little girl/boy" high-pitched squeals.

Also let's try to quit saying "jap."

ど助平

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
its an abbreviation
萌え~

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »
lyte do you casually walk into japan arcades and pwn noobs using sol badguy

just wondering

:lol

Dude, I'm in Japan, right?  So that means I go to an arcade and get my ass kicked all over by the guys who seem to live there 24/7.  Don't play GG in arcades, but I *DID* kick that ass in Battle Fantasia and Basara X when the arcades first got them.  The former was such a shock to me that I was laughing my ass off.  

awesome

They actually have shmups in the arcades in japan.   :'(  I have to go to Canal St. in NYC if I want to rock some shmup arcade action.  :gun

Sure, sometimes I go and there will be some dude, cigarette in hand, racking up points in a game while 1-2 other guys sit behind him and watch.  I always wonder why people want to waste their spare time watching someone else play a game in an arcade.  Then there's the "cool dude with girlfriend" type, who walks over to some game (usually a fighter), sits down, and then proceeds to play the CPU for an hour while his girlfriend sits next to him with a "why did I go out with this loser?" look on her face.
ど助平

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2008, 09:51:24 PM »
it's an offensive abbreviation viz!

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »
it's an offensive abbreviation viz!

no it isnt

ww2 is over

jap is short for japanese, I use it all the time

add this to my list!
萌え~

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »
SHUT UP RACIST

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »
lets just call them elevens
萌え~

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »
Or nips

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »
Viz is a true american.
USA

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »
The inoffensive abbreviation is "JPN."  But come on, the guy typed out "American" first, and even "japanese," (not the lack of capitol letters!)   :P  
spoiler (click to show/hide)
OH SHIT JAPANOHPILE TENDENCIES EMERGING  :o :o :o
[close]

"Moonspeak" is kinda offensive too I suppose, but that's hilarious.

I got pretty pissed off at a guy who said "don't Pak me" at my old job once, by the way.  It's not like I'd just get uppity over something said about Japan.  This idiot was then like "haha, well it's like saying 'don't Jew me'," to which I replied "I'M Jewish."  "Me too," he says.  Easily one of the dumber people I've ever encountered.  He left his textbooks in the store after he awkwardly left, too.  I wanted to throw them out so badly.  

Or nips

I can't help but start laughing every time I see those crackers at the supermarket.  Such a wrong name to use.   :lol
ど助平

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »
I'd put money on there being more russians who know english than japanessy.

And I didnt mean to say jap derogatoraly, I just use it to shorten "japanese person".
USA

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2008, 10:02:23 PM »
crackah-ass crackah
ど助平

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2008, 10:02:32 PM »
The inoffensive abbreviation is "JPN."  But come on, the guy typed out "American" first, and even "japanese," (not the lack of capitol letters!)   :P 
OH SHIT JAPANOHPILE TENDENCIES EMERGING  :o :o :o
[close]

"Moonspeak" is kinda offensive too I suppose, but that's hilarious.

I got pretty pissed off at a guy who said "don't Pak me" at my old job once, by the way.  It's not like I'd just get uppity over something said about Japan.  This idiot was then like "haha, well it's like saying 'don't Jew me'," to which I replied "I'M Jewish."  "Me too," he says.  Easily one of the dumber people I've ever encountered.  He left his textbooks in the store after he awkwardly left, too.  I wanted to throw them out so badly. 

Or nips

I can't help but start laughing every time I see those crackers at the supermarket.  Such a wrong name to use.   :lol
:rofl :rofl  Don't Pak me?  wtf?

and moonspeak is hilarious

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2008, 10:04:45 PM »
萌え~

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »

:rofl :rofl  Don't Pak me?  wtf?

and moonspeak is hilarious

Yeah, this guy reminded me of Woody Allen in appearance and was a huge nerd.  He's asking about prices and then goes "come on man, don't Pak me" in a high-pitched whine with a crooked smile.  I couldn't believe he thought this was funny.  Come to think of it, I think he was also muttering something about not being able to get into college/get a good job, and he had a bunch of prep-books with him.  Gee, I wonder why?
ど助平

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2008, 01:33:36 AM »
It's okay guys, Viz is taking it back.
brb

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2008, 01:39:13 AM »
Code GAS people need some burgers, stat
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2008, 01:48:49 AM »
It's okay guys, Viz is taking it back.

Im taking it back

you watch
萌え~

cool breeze

« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2008, 03:26:52 AM »
Most web comics and the people who find them funny.  I am shocked when I see dozens of people praise a comic that spend several panels trying to explain the joke and why it should be funny.  Mainly because there is someone out there who spend his time to think of and then draw this comic.  The worst part is that the audience eats this shit up.  It is almost like there is a generation of people who are too stupid to understand humor these days, so they are forced to rely on comics that need to spell out the joke and why they should be laughing.  Of course, this isn't restricted to merely web comics, but they are usually the prime source of all this.  And this isn't a "I don't think it is funny so no one should think it is funny!" thing, because there are times when I can at least understand why something would be funny, but personally I don't find it that amusing.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2008, 04:00:09 AM »
The first half of FMJ is amazing. The second half is trash.

Whats the real ending to CO? I can't even really remember the other ending except for with the parents and his friends as cops.
It's probably a better to read it because the idea was meant as a book.  I didn't like it though and the way it's overhyped by most people who watched/read it make me hate it.  It's not even a good book and if it didn't have the shock value, it probably wouldn't even be published.

FMJ is not really that bad.  Not great in any way but it's not unwatchable.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2008, 08:28:04 AM »
I hate the religious people who no matter how much you reason with them, aren't willing to change their opinions because they think religion>*.  It's because of them that I can stand the atheists that act like assholes.  They're obviously doing that for fun plus they usually have a good base of evidence for all of their opinions.

The worst group of people are the misogynists though.  I'm talking about people who get angry in real life every time that they see two tits and a purse.

Logically, if you believe in a religion that offers a choice between life everlasting and paradise and torment unending in a fiery Hell, religion IS more important than everything. This is why perfectly normal-seeming housewives strap explosives to themselves and get on school buses. You can only argue with people like that on their terms, I'm afraid. Or wait for them to realize what a hollow sham it all is.

Luckily, the vast majority of "religious" people I grew up around merely paid lip-service. But if they actually did believe, I'd expect them to take it more seriously than anything else, because it would be.
vjj

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2008, 05:17:56 PM »
I hate the religious people who no matter how much you reason with them, aren't willing to change their opinions because they think religion>*.  It's because of them that I can stand the atheists that act like assholes.  They're obviously doing that for fun plus they usually have a good base of evidence for all of their opinions.
The worst group of people are the misogynists though.  I'm talking about people who get angry in real life every time that they see two tits and a purse.
Logically, if you believe in a religion that offers a choice between life everlasting and paradise and torment unending in a fiery Hell, religion IS more important than everything. This is why perfectly normal-seeming housewives strap explosives to themselves and get on school buses. You can only argue with people like that on their terms, I'm afraid. Or wait for them to realize what a hollow sham it all is.

Luckily, the vast majority of "religious" people I grew up around merely paid lip-service. But if they actually did believe, I'd expect them to take it more seriously than anything else, because it would be.
it might be your most important belief but it shouldn't be used as evidence for your beliefs.  some people just cross over that line and start comparing pictures of jesus with pictures of stephen hawkins as if that somehow proves something (I saw that once on OA at least).  I'm talking about a small minority that have an irrational hatred of irreligoius people but they shit up just about every political thread unless the mods on your board are very fair.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2008, 06:13:28 PM »
Most web comics and the people who find them funny.  I am shocked when I see dozens of people praise a comic that spend several panels trying to explain the joke and why it should be funny.  Mainly because there is someone out there who spend his time to think of and then draw this comic.  The worst part is that the audience eats this shit up.  It is almost like there is a generation of people who are too stupid to understand humor these days, so they are forced to rely on comics that need to spell out the joke and why they should be laughing.  Of course, this isn't restricted to merely web comics, but they are usually the prime source of all this.  And this isn't a "I don't think it is funny so no one should think it is funny!" thing, because there are times when I can at least understand why something would be funny, but personally I don't find it that amusing.

I hope you're not including Cyanide and Happiness in that.

Excluding that comic, I agree with you.  Comics should not need to be explained as to why they are funny.  Some might require more in depth reasons why they made the topic they did but you should still see something funny.  Most web comics suck ass.  A lot of them rely on either inside jokes (who nobody outside of the creator's three friends would give a flying fuck as to what they are talking about), trying to be deep when they can't (Tim Buckley), or just plain awful (Boston and Shaun, God Mode).
🍆🍆

Powerslave

« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »
The Expirement, you rule man. Great taste in everything.

VALIS

« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2008, 09:08:56 PM »
The intentional misspelling of words like "moar" and "nao" and that cloying faggotry that goes through me like fucking nails on a chalkboard. It's almost like sociology professors created a clever internet viral worm to intentionally misspell some words on forums to see how many trend-seeking morons would jump on board the misspelling bandwagon, even though it isn't particularly funny and it doesn't mean nor represent anything. And jump on board they did.
LIK

cool breeze

« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2008, 09:34:09 PM »
I hope you're not including Cyanide and Happiness in that.

Excluding that comic, I agree with you.  Comics should not need to be explained as to why they are funny.  Some might require more in depth reasons why they made the topic they did but you should still see something funny.  Most web comics suck ass.  A lot of them rely on either inside jokes (who nobody outside of the creator's three friends would give a flying fuck as to what they are talking about), trying to be deep when they can't (Tim Buckley), or just plain awful (Boston and Shaun, God Mode).

Cyanide and Happiness is great, although some strips try a bit too hard to be controversial, but most are still hilarious.  PBF is also great.

And the one comic about miscarriage (I don't remember who drew it) is one of the most awful comics I have seen on the internet, and earlier today I saw a Team Fortress 2 comic that had the characters as young girls.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »
I can't stand it when someone says, "You've misunderstood me" or "You've misread me…"

It's not up to your audience to decipher the inner workings of the speaker's/author's mind. The person disseminating their viewpoint is responsible for putting it out in comprehensible fashion. Fuck you and your egotistic, non-Copernican universe.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2018, 10:46:42 AM »
I can't stand it when someone says, "You've misunderstood me" or "You've misread me…"

It's not up to your audience to decipher the inner workings of the speaker's/author's mind. The person disseminating their viewpoint is responsible for putting it out in comprehensible fashion. Fuck you and your egotistic, non-Copernican universe.

You should go back and re-read what I wrote...
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
When people bump almost 10 year old threads.

:heyman
[close]
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »

I think you're misunderstanding what they're trying to say.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2018, 06:17:29 PM »
IRL Twitch streamers. They overreact to everything, it's like watching an old-timey melodrama. Although I do like watching Twitch fail videos on youtube where they fall down and bust their asses or set themselves on fire or whatever.
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2018, 06:28:17 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

People who fuss too much with their facial hair. People with weird facial hair. I'm ALWAYS suspicious of these people.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
Why the fuck would he shave his cheeks but not his neck?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
Man, Tony Stark really let himself go.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2018, 06:41:57 PM »

You should go back and re-read what I wrote...
:bolo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #157 on: March 03, 2021, 06:35:31 PM »
Internet cosplay enthusiasts who suffix their name with “-sama“ or “-chan“ or “-tan“

Anybody with even a passing knowledge of Japanese, even first semester Japanese, knows that you do not ever apply an honorific suffix to your own name. Occasional using -tan is OK only if one ridiculously is flirting with the target. And the only time to use -sama is if you are a bad guy referring to yourself as ORE-SAMA, and it’s a kids cartoon.

Obligatory:
:expert
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2021, 07:49:30 PM »
Internet cosplay enthusiasts who suffix their name with “-sama“ or “-chan“ or “-tan“

Anybody with even a passing knowledge of Japanese, even first semester Japanese, knows that you do not ever apply an honorific suffix to your own name. Occasional using -tan is OK only if one ridiculously is flirting with the target. And the only time to use -sama is if you are a bad guy referring to yourself as ORE-SAMA, and it’s a kids cartoon.

Obligatory:
[close]

Adding to this, translations that purposefully leave certain words untranslated, like the infamous "all according to keikaku."
ど助平

« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2021, 10:43:36 PM »
"I have an announcement to share today that I'm suuuper excited about. This tweet is the appetizer to the main event. Keep your eyes peeled in the next hour or so!"

Coax

« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2021, 03:27:58 AM »
People who use the phrase '<thing> be like' as an intended joke, when it's never used by them outside of that context.

Tycoon Padre

« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2021, 10:27:02 AM »
Nothing has the power to make me quite as irrationally angry as when a *certain sort of person* (coastal 30-something white person with a liberal arts degree) says or types the word "y'all" :cac

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2021, 10:39:50 AM »
its even worse when someone you know for a fact is a middle class brit saying it :info
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2021, 10:44:24 AM »
Nothing has the power to make me quite as irrationally angry as when a *certain sort of person* (coastal 30-something white person with a liberal arts degree) says or types the word "y'all" :cac

Lol who cares.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »

I gotchu, fam  :expert
Margs

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2021, 11:09:39 AM »
Oh that reminds me...

STFU (Image removed from quote.)

mine is broken image links in old threads :maf
©@©™

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »
forum admins who have to be special with different colored names

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2021, 01:07:14 PM »
Oh that reminds me...

STFU (Image removed from quote.)

mine is broken image links in old threads :maf
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2021, 02:15:38 PM »
Try when someone NOT from the US uses it. Australians saying y'all is mystifying.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2021, 06:34:59 PM »
It really isn't. You all is a thing that can easily and naturally be contracted to y'all anywhere that speaks the English language.
Y'all doesn't qualify as English. It's something, but not English.
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2021, 06:36:05 PM »
people who are not #teamfiller

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2021, 06:40:40 PM »

Obligatory:
[close]

What about Logan-sama, famous Grime DJ (as far as grime DJs could be "famous")?

(I used to talk to him a lot on an old UK garage message board a few years before he blew up... he was definitely into anime and RPGs and stuff like that so the "sama" is probably deliberate).

Also it's interesting to read this thread some 13 years later... so many people I miss and wonder what happened to (Bildi, Tauntaun, Eel)... and a surprising amount of weeb hate compared to nowadays.
^_^

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2021, 06:42:46 PM »

Obligatory:
[close]
:bow :bow :bow chrono-sama :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Tasty

« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2021, 12:30:07 AM »
What about Logan-sama, famous Grime DJ (as far as grime DJs could be "famous")?

(I used to talk to him a lot on an old UK garage message board a few years before he blew up... he was definitely into anime and RPGs and stuff like that so the "sama" is probably deliberate).

Also it's interesting to read this thread some 13 years later... so many people I miss and wonder what happened to (Bildi, Tauntaun, Eel)... and a surprising amount of weeb hate compared to nowadays.

Nope, not unless it's a band name, maybe a reference to Wolverine's Japan-based Frank Miller miniseries. No individual refers to themselves with "-sama" - ever.

:bow :bow :bow chrono-sama :bow2 :bow2 :bow2
:dead

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2021, 03:04:27 AM »
I certainly enjoy viewing a fair amount of titillating sexy cosplay, but I am stunned at what a high percentage of it is some woman who found a wig and the right-colored underwear to claim a finished costume. C Minus for effort!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2021, 03:07:25 AM »
LinkedIn gives me this giant grid of people that I have possibly come in contact with. There are always one or two in 100 that I have worked with, but I don’t care to contact or connect with.

When I tap the X to get rid of the recommendation, I halfway wish it would let the person know that I am excising them from my life. The feature-converse of “these people viewed your profile.”

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2021, 03:28:53 AM »
Try when someone NOT from the US uses it. Australians saying y'all is mystifying.
"You all" makes sense to some ESL, because some languages have plural forms of "you" that aren't present in English, so "Y'all" fills in that spot. :thinking