Author Topic: So Mega Man 9  (Read 61214 times)

Himu

Re: So Mega Man 9
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2008, 12:14:09 PM »
Don't you guys like the upgrades? or you're just ramping up the difficulty? because they were awesome :interracial

I like to ramp up the difficulty. When I first got into MM 2 years ago, some challenged me to play MM games without upgrades. This thought process of masochism has been drilled into my head and now I really only play MM without using upgrades. Although, I did in ZX because it accomidated different play styles. Zero in the X games and Zero games doesn't count though because for example, in X4, he learns a bunch of cool moves which really don't feel like upgrades. I'm mostly talking about upgraded beam cannons, armor, shit like that.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »
GOOD I hope it's wiiware exclusive, so I dont have to spend money on it
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2008, 09:13:59 PM »
New pictures look like how you would expect it to look, Mega Man 2 again.

And faux Mega Man fans are insane.  Mega man is comparable to religion, did you know that?

Oblivion

« Reply #244 on: July 04, 2008, 12:18:14 AM »
MMX6 is the hardest MM game, actually. God I hated it.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #245 on: July 04, 2008, 02:04:14 AM »
it's only hard if you wanna save every reploid.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #246 on: July 04, 2008, 02:46:30 AM »
i beat mmx6

fucking nightmare things piss me off
萌え~

duckroll

« Reply #247 on: July 04, 2008, 07:15:54 AM »
Apparently Capcom is planning a sort of Rockman revival on the Wii in Japan. Rockman will hit VC in July, with Rockman 2 hitting in August, and Rockman 9 on WiiWare in September. The director of Rockman 9 is also revealed to be Hayato Tsuru, who was a main planner on Dead Rising and Onimusha, as well as the Main Game Designer of Onimusha 2. He's a regular in Inafune's teams and worked on previous Rockman Dash and Rockman Battle and Chase games as well.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #248 on: July 04, 2008, 07:19:08 AM »
HE SHOULD BE WORKING ON DEAD RISING 2 Aggfdxdffgdgxgfdhhfhhgh

Himu

« Reply #249 on: July 04, 2008, 03:04:46 PM »
;_;
IYKYK

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #250 on: July 04, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
wtc

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #251 on: July 04, 2008, 03:41:36 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325528

HIMU HAS JOINED THE SIDE OF LIGHT

thats good

you know I rarely browse gaf and megaman interests me so I read such threads

but himuros really, really bad at trolling megaman and it got old seeing his posts about it pretty quickly

sorry himu
萌え~

Himu

« Reply #252 on: July 04, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »
You wouldn't believe how many times I tried to get into these games the past year. Fuck.
IYKYK

Crushed

« Reply #253 on: July 04, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
Seeing that Yellow Devil fight reminded me of this:

THE FINAL BOSS OF THE INTERNET
wtc

Himu

« Reply #254 on: July 04, 2008, 04:25:13 PM »
demi is the final boss of the internet. stfu
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #256 on: July 05, 2008, 04:26:00 AM »
Alright. I beat Mega Man 2 a few minutes ago. Whew! Time to compare.

Mega Man 1:

+ Pretty simplistic, but challenging level designs.
+ Platforming is more than simply jumping from block to block, you have to memorize where blocks fall. which is pretty different from the other platforming I've seen in games lately. It was refreshing.
+ Wily section of the game is absolutely excellent.
+ Fun bosses.
+ It's fun seeing which enemy is weak against what attack.
+ ElecMan's stage music.

- It's pretty basic. Not that this is a bad thing.
- Many sections can be trial and error. This is by far the most trial and error based Mega Man I've played. Some bosses are impossible to beat without using specific weapons.
- Magnet beam!

I thought it was a really enjoyable game despite all this though.

But Mega Man 2 up the ants and improves upon its processor in a lot of ways.

Mega Man 2

+ The fact that most enemies can be taken care of in multiple ways gives the game a versatile, varied feel when compared to the original. The game based its gameplay entirely around the powers you gain from the bosses and the game benefits from this highly. Figuring out each weapons use is sooo fun. I even pretty much replaced my Buster shot in this game. I mostly used Metal Arm and Quick Shot instead. Sooo awesome.

+ The level design. Holy shit. There are only three levels in MM2 I do not like, those being Air Man, Charge Man (the ladder part is AGONIZING), and Flash Man. These levels are either a. annoying or b. just not fun. The slippery surface in Flash Man's level just make it plain annoying, on top of this the level is entirely too short. In Air Man's stage there are these birds that drop their eggs on you. One or two birds drop eggs on you on top of the clouds, making it impossible to see them with no warning at all. Every other level is AAA Mega Man. From Quick Man's stage to Wood Man's, and my personal favorite: Heat Man's stage. The boss fights, unlike MM1, feel like they can be taken out with your own personal play style. I know that Air Man's weakness is Leaf but I don't like leaf because it's boring and slow and shit. I use Quick Man's power instead, because it is as powerful as the buster (2 clicks taken off per shot with the buster) but twice as fast. I can take MOST bosses out with the P-shot if I want to but in MM2 it's not fun to do that. Further more, Wily's Castle is classic Mega Man at work except the platforming here is absolutely amazing. Way better than anything in X games in my opinion.

+ Bosses. The bosses are GREAAT. There's really only one boss I don't like and it's Air Man! Fuck Air Man! His attacks are IMPOSSIBLE to dodge for the most part. The boss designs are AMAZING and far more interesting compared to MM1's mostly dull roster.

I mean, look at this:

My personal favorite boss in the game is easily Heat Man. I love his flame animation where he shoots across the screen. That's some of the best animation I've ever seen for an NES game.

+ Difficulty. Oldschoolgamer disagreed, but I think MM2 is way harder than MM1. The only part in MM1 where I was stuck was the Yellow Demon. That took me an hour to beat. In MM2 there were multiple places. Puzzles: figuring out how to safely get past Quick Man's stage, the platforming bit in Heat Man's stage where I didn't have the jet to get across the river of lava. The 5th stage in Wily's Castle was hardcore awesome Mega Man traditional boss gauntlet. While the bosses were easy, Wily really tested me. It took me a long while to beat the guy. MM2 required mt to put forth a 110% effort in order to win. MM1 took me 50%.

+ The music. Holy shit the music. The only good thing about Crash Man's stage is the platform part and the THE SONG. OH MY GOD. And the Wily Castle music?! CLASSIC.

- The fact the game places emphasis on abilities is both its blessing and its curse. In Wily's Castle I ended up with  4 energy tanks by the boss gauntlet/Wily stage. Thing is, I entirely ran out of or almost ran out of my most important powers. Being metal, quick boomerang, and a few other things. The game put in a boss gauntlet and gave me no way to use my stuff against the bosses. I ended up having a game over. Furthermore, there is a section in Level (or was 3?) of Wily's castle where you have to take on wall sentries with the charge bombs. You have a limited supply of Crash bombs and you have to destroy those AND the walls in front of them. The general strategy I did was break the walls, die on purpose, and go back and kill the sentries. No one should have to do this. That is terrible boss design. If the game balanced this out and let you recharge your powers more, I'd enjoy it a lot more.

- The three levels mentioned above: Airman, Flash Man, and Crash Man. Their stages aren't really fun at all. If they were on par with the rest of the game and my above problem was fixed this would be THE definitive classic Mega Man.

I can understand why Mega Man 2 is revered as the best Mega Man. It certainly does enough well to deserve that claim, but the two things I mentioned above hold the game back. It's a great game, and I hope the Mega man games past 2 fix these two problems.
IYKYK

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #257 on: July 05, 2008, 04:39:20 AM »
himu - yer fukkin awesome - i love mm2....that music!

Himu

« Reply #258 on: July 05, 2008, 04:52:09 AM »
himu - yer fukkin awesome - i love mm2....that music!

[youtube=425,350]vWwAM30N0No[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]
5holgw14HQo[/youtube]

Someone post that gif of Mega Man rocking it out by banging his head.
IYKYK

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #259 on: July 05, 2008, 04:58:16 AM »
I think Flashman was my fav - whats the runtime? like 45 minutes? I may need to boot up MM collection.

Himu

« Reply #260 on: July 05, 2008, 04:59:09 AM »
I think Flashman was my fav - whats the runtime? like 45 minutes? I may need to boot up MM collection.

of those youtubes? short. they're music remixes. fucking amazing remixes.
IYKYK

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2008, 04:59:49 AM »
no i mean whats the runtime of MM2? I havent played it in 6+ years...

Himu

« Reply #262 on: July 05, 2008, 05:02:21 AM »
i dunno. i beat it for the first time today. i'd say uhhhh

it took me 5-6 hours including deaths.
IYKYK

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2008, 05:05:43 AM »
Thats seems long - I seem to remember besting MM in like 45 to 1:20

ITs been SOOO LONG tho.

Man I was playing MM and MM2 when they first came out on NES.

I think I camped MM2 hahaha

Darunia

« Reply #264 on: July 05, 2008, 05:11:56 AM »
my order of nes games awesomeness

2 > 5 > 3 > 4 > 6

1 is not mentioned because I get too frustrated and never got too far in it

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #265 on: July 05, 2008, 05:12:56 AM »
my order of nes games awesomeness

2 > 5 > 3 > 4 > 6

1 is not mentioned because I get too frustrated and never got too far in it

YOU MUST Finish MM1 - the Dr. Wily stages are <3<3<3

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #266 on: July 05, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »
Wait, did Himu just flip flop on a game again?

You write great impressions of games but only when you are actually playing them at that moment.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #267 on: July 05, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »
demi is the final boss of the internet. stfu

final boss of evilbore*
fat

Shuri

« Reply #268 on: July 05, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
You know, MM9 might be cool, but the color palet is all over the place. Look at the color palette of MM2 for exemple, the color scheme was awesome and fun.

But.. MM9's color palette is all over the place and back them, during the nes days, it would have been considered wtf. I guess it's a drawback of technology. Artists back then had to limit themselves and veteran nes artists knew what worked and what didnt, and they could come up with palettes that were enjoyable and looked good.

You can see that mm9 is being made by newer people that never really had to deal with such limited color options; the colors are so awful; it feels like a title made by the nes-era THQ

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:33:01 AM by Shuri »

Himu

« Reply #269 on: July 05, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »
Wait, did Himu just flip flop on a game again?

You write great impressions of games but only when you are actually playing them at that moment.

No, it's not me playing them at the moment. Classic MM is nothing LIKE MMX or MMZ. I have been playing MMX and MMZ like every 2 months for the past 2 years. It's a tough habit to break.
IYKYK

MoxManiac

« Reply #270 on: July 05, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »
Yeah i'm suprised himuro didn't mention that bullshit wily boss with the walls you have to destroy with crash bombs. That's like, the worst designed boss in MM history. If that's the level i'm thinking of, it also had that horrible section with the platform that moves long the lines (like the ones in crash man's stage, but way worse.) I really, really despise that level.
no

Enl

« Reply #271 on: July 05, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
I've been going through a bunch of fan hacks lately, trying to see if I dig out any gems in the mountains of shit out there, and I actually found a Mega Man 2 one that is pretty damn good. It's called Rock Man No Constancy. Unlike 99% of the hacks out there the this one actually seems to have paid good attention to level design and the reworking of the game's style. Graphics and music has been reworked and the bosses attack patterns are different. It feels thought out and not randomly put together like most hacks.

There's two versions: 'normal' which is hard but fair, and 'hard' which is fucking ridiculous. You can find it here: Rock Man No Constancy

mmm

Enl

« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2008, 12:59:18 PM »
Yeah i'm suprised himuro didn't mention that bullshit wily boss with the walls you have to destroy with crash bombs.

Read harder.
mmm

Himu

« Reply #273 on: July 05, 2008, 01:20:33 PM »
Yeah i'm suprised himuro didn't mention that bullshit wily boss with the walls you have to destroy with crash bombs. That's like, the worst designed boss in MM history. If that's the level i'm thinking of, it also had that horrible section with the platform that moves long the lines (like the ones in crash man's stage, but way worse.) I really, really despise that level.

i love the platforming section. it's the bullshit boss i have a problem with.

I did mention the bullshit boss. It's in the negatives section.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #274 on: July 05, 2008, 01:27:12 PM »
What is that guys name in MM2! His name starts with C! I forgot his name because he's such an easy boss. I get his name mixed up with Charge Man from Mm5.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #275 on: July 05, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »
Crash Man, yeah!

zzz Crash Man! FEEL MY AIR SHOTS YOU PUSSY
IYKYK

Crushed

« Reply #276 on: July 05, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »
What is that guys name in MM2! His name starts with C! I forgot his name because he's such an easy boss. I get his name mixed up with Charge Man from Mm5.

Crash Man.

[youtube=425,350]LdzjVnH9YoY[/youtube]
wtc

Himu

« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
why is crash man so gay????
IYKYK

evilromero

« Reply #278 on: July 05, 2008, 02:15:03 PM »
MM2 isn't nearly so difficult but that Orb boss in Wily Tower gave me some serious issues. I can't figure out the pattern to conserve crash shots or what order to shoot the walls.
ass

MoxManiac

« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »
Yeah, I have reading comprehension problems, sorry  :'(
no

Himu

« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »
:bow MAGNET MAN :bow2
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »
Unleper this filth. 

Great impressions, himuro.  I just started playing MM:Anniversary after having not played the games since I was like 8 or so (I'm mamesj on gaf, so you may have already seen that post.)

Himu

« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2008, 05:11:11 PM »
MM3 >>>>> MM2

It's about fixed every problem  I had with that game and then some. The Robot Master designs are nearly as good (only Magnet's design is on par with MM2's RM designs) and the music isn't NEARLY  as good, but the level design, boss fights, every thing is much better. Sliding adds an element of depth not seen in MM1 and 2. I feel like I can actually avoid attacks now! On top of this, the game draws lines to MMX2, my favorite snes Mega Man X. That game was full of surprises as well. MM3 kicks that games ass. I mean, there's Proto Man, then there's the whole "fight MM2 bosses" thing which is remarkably similar to MMX2's "defeat these enemies in order to not fight Zero" thing. But in MMX2, all of that was optional. In MM3, you HAVE to defeat these guys to continue.

I'm taking a break now because the levels are starting to kick my ass.
IYKYK

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #283 on: July 05, 2008, 05:15:31 PM »
Since the love of classic 1-6 seems to be so great,I guesss I owe it to myself to pirate it. However,8-bit is still poo.
Boo

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2008, 05:56:56 PM »
Yeeeah...I'm not liking this.
Boo

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #285 on: July 05, 2008, 06:25:51 PM »
How the fuck are you suppose to dodge some of these enemy attacks!? It's like the game wants you to get hit and you can't do shit about it.
Boo

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #286 on: July 05, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »
WTF at Gutsman. How the fuck can you guys like this shit.
Boo

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #287 on: July 05, 2008, 08:15:33 PM »
Ignore the last post,I just beat him without getting hit.
Boo

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »
WHY THE FUCK CAN FIREMAN SHOOT SO FAST!? MEGAMAN CANNOT JUMP THAT FAST! I SWEAR MORONS DEVOLOPED THIS GAME.
Boo

Enl

« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2008, 08:54:42 PM »
It's ok. You just suck at playing games.
mmm

Darunia

« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
Instead of posting 6 times, cool down and start up MM2 on normal mode

I never beat MM3 but I did it just now. I agree with Himuro, they keep duping and surprising the player which is awesome. I loved the ending music too
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:31:18 PM by Darunia »

Himu

« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »
See Junpei. I was the same way. You are mirroring my exact thoughts just a week ago. BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT.

Start with Cutman! Cutman is easy and can beaten with just the buster. Then go for ElecMan. ElecMan is weak against Cutman's cut attacks! Then head for Ice man. He's OBVIOUSLY weak against Electricity!

So on and so forth. Experiment! This isn't like most 2d actoin games where you can beat them vanilla. You have to experiment the powers. That's the series main gimmick!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #292 on: July 05, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »
How the fuck are you suppose to dodge some of these enemy attacks!? It's like the game wants you to get hit and you can't do shit about it.

You have to jump. And yeah, I agree. MM3 is my favorite classic MM so far because the slide allows maneuverability MM1 and 2 just don't have. It feels so MMX-ish. If you can manage dodging an enemy attack, slide, jump out of the way. The boss fights are REALLY fun because of this.
IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #293 on: July 05, 2008, 10:54:59 PM »
Did you play Powered Up, Himu?  I really recommend it.  It is a really well done remake of MM1.

Himu

« Reply #294 on: July 05, 2008, 11:02:12 PM »
no i haven't
IYKYK

Enl

« Reply #295 on: July 05, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »
Powered Up is fricking awesome. I still mess around with the stage editor to this day.
mmm

Rman

« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2008, 11:22:29 PM »
The challenges are pretty hardcore.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2008, 01:52:31 AM »
what are you guys talking about with the whole normal/hard modes?  is there some kind of bonus hard mode on the collection that i'm not aware of?
pcp

Himu

« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2008, 02:13:33 AM »
nes version of mm2 has normal and difficult difficulty levels. difficult was the jp default difficulty. They added normal, a toned down difficulty for the westerners. MMAC comes with difficult as default. you can't switch the difficulties.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2008, 02:21:40 AM »
wow @ me not remebering that.  thanks, though!
pcp