Author Topic: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread  (Read 318330 times)

Re: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread
« Reply #1800 on: January 09, 2010, 03:01:37 PM »
Fall 2010 release, right?
even if it is, the dvd/blu ray release will be like...fall 2011 lol.

That's fine.
野球

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1801 on: January 09, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »
no wai man.

i want my bro setsuna f. seiei sneaking shit up in space now.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1802 on: January 09, 2010, 03:10:23 PM »
no wai man.

i want my bro Jesus F. Seiei sneaking shit up in space now.

fixed.

Wonder how he looks now (and the rest of the crew)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:16:07 PM by Purple Filth »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1803 on: January 09, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »
probably the same.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1804 on: January 09, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »
probably the same.

i guess so since 2 years shouldn't be much

Fall 2010 release, right?
even if it is, the dvd/blu ray release will be like...fall 2011 lol.

That's fine.

Wait..

Don't subbing groups tend to not sub theatrical releases as it comes out but just wait on the DVD version instead?

So i guess the time of the DVD  release will determine alot then.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1805 on: January 09, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »
With how broad and over-the-top the whole thing is played, how could it not be seen as parody?

Well, whatever, not everyone can be pleased.

That describes like every anime.   :lol
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1806 on: January 09, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »
With how broad and over-the-top the whole thing is played, how could it not be seen as parody?

Well, whatever, not everyone can be pleased.

That describes like every anime.   :lol

True enough! But I've got Baka to Test at #2 for the season so far, for whatever reason it clicked with me.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #1807 on: January 09, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
So any ep1's worth checking out so far if you're not into generic anime?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1808 on: January 09, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »

Durarara!!

That's pretty much it so far.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1809 on: January 09, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »

Durarara!!

That's pretty much it so far.

Yup.  Although there's a large part of that first episode that had the typical "WELCOME TO [in this case, Ikebukuro] WHERE IT IS DIFFERENT THAN YOUR SUBURBY-PART OF TOKYO" vibe going on.  At least it wasn't Shinjuku or Shibuya for the umpteenth time.

Even though I had mixed feeling on it, I think you should check out Dance In The Vampire Bund, Bebpo.  The parts with the variety show satirizing the typical kinds of guests (and even the audience) were spot-on.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:48:49 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #1810 on: January 09, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »
Apparently the broadcast version of Ladies vs Butlers is uncensored. Seems like it's worth another looksee  :smug
Boo

Bebpo

« Reply #1811 on: January 10, 2010, 02:15:53 AM »
Durarara was kinda disappointing.  The OP is great and gives Baccano vibes but the actual show is lacking the energy that Baccano had.  Instead it's just kinda like every other anime on the planet.  It's not bad, but it doesn't stand out like Baccano did.  Will give it a few more eps and hope it turns around.

Don't have much hope though, Japan has become a wasteland of talent in every medium.  I dunno what happened, but everything out of that country has been sucking for the last few years in comparison to the quality they produced in the 80s/90s and first few years of 2000s.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1812 on: January 10, 2010, 05:05:52 AM »
Don't have much hope though, Japan has become a wasteland of talent in every medium.  I dunno what happened, but everything out of that country has been sucking for the last few years in comparison to the quality they produced in the 80s/90s and first few years of 2000s.

Plenty of great games from J-land.  Comics too.  It's just anime that's in the pooper.
ど助平

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1813 on: January 10, 2010, 07:22:31 AM »
The Gundam 00 Quanta design looks beautiful.  Way better than the 00 from the TV show.
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1814 on: January 10, 2010, 10:52:17 AM »
Instead it's just kinda like every other anime on the planet. 

:wtf
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #1815 on: January 10, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »

Plenty of great games from J-land.  Comics too.  It's just anime that's in the pooper.

I'd argue otherwise but this is an anime thread and not a "decline of the Japanese game & comic industry" thread. :P

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1816 on: January 10, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »
I haven't watched it yet since a sub has yet to appear, but apparently Qwaser got chopped up pretty bad by the censors. To the point where you can't even tell what's going on in some of the scenes. Laaaaaame.
dog

« Reply #1817 on: January 10, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »
I haven't watched it yet since a sub has yet to appear, but apparently Qwaser got chopped up pretty bad by the censors. To the point where you can't even tell what's going on in some of the scenes. Laaaaaame.

Maybe they shouldn't make a show about a dude who gets powered up by breast milk.

BREAST MILK

SMH Japan, you used to be cool.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:14:14 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Jansen

« Reply #1818 on: January 10, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »
finished up baccano. wow what an amazing show. it had the right blend of action, mystery, and humor. i'm kinda sad now since it'll be practically impossible for any other anime to match its greatness.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1819 on: January 10, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »
legend of the galactic heroes destroys every animu out there, try that.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1820 on: January 10, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »
finished up baccano. wow what an amazing show. it had the right blend of action, mystery, and humor. i'm kinda sad now since it'll be practically impossible for any other anime to match its greatness.

Cowboy Bebop.
dog

Jansen

« Reply #1821 on: January 10, 2010, 02:55:20 PM »
i will probably never watch that show since some asshole ruined it for me years ago.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1822 on: January 10, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
i will probably never watch that show since some asshole ruined it for me years ago.

Cowboy Bebop? Uhh....dude, watch it anyway. It's one of the coolest and most awesome anime series ever made. Even if you know how it ends, just WATCH IT. Seriously.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1823 on: January 10, 2010, 03:02:13 PM »
my problem with cowboy bebop was the setting, not my thing despite me appreciating the sound, the characters and the animation.

and yeah, i was spoiled too but i didn't mind.

« Reply #1824 on: January 10, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »
my problem with cowboy bebop was the setting, not my thing despite me appreciating the sound, the characters and the animation.

Please explain.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1825 on: January 10, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »

Please explain.

Yes, seriously.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1826 on: January 10, 2010, 03:09:02 PM »
something about it didn't click with me.

nothing to explain really.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1827 on: January 10, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »

I skipped through a RAW.  There was one scene of BREAST MILKS and it was indeed censored.  They zoomed in the upper part of the screen so you couldn't see anything, then it cuts to another girl looking on in horror/amazement as this guy is getting his milk on.  Probably lasted 10 seconds, if that.  Looks like it has good animation, but I wouldn't bother watching unless you are curious about BREAST MILK POWA-UPPU

Maybe they shouldn't make a show about a dude who gets powered up by breast milk.

BREAST MILK

SMH Japan, you used to be cool.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1828 on: January 10, 2010, 05:40:35 PM »

I'd argue otherwise but this is an anime thread and not a "decline of the Japanese game & comic industry" thread. :P

Sorry Bebpo, but Detroit Metal City, Yotsuba, Bayonetta, and Street Fighter IV alone negate that argument.
ど助平

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1829 on: January 10, 2010, 05:54:55 PM »
bebpo hates everything
萌え~

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1830 on: January 10, 2010, 06:06:01 PM »
i don't hate you viz

Purple Filth

« Reply #1831 on: January 10, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »

NOOOOOOOOO

I just saw it, they chopped out when he was just fucking getting milk  :maf

if this is how it will go then the other scenes that follows are good as dead.

it had nice animation too, oh well.

i don't hate you viz

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:11:22 PM by Purple Filth »

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1832 on: January 10, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
萌え~

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #1833 on: January 10, 2010, 06:45:12 PM »
i'm no fan of bebop either,there is barely any plot in it for me to care,it's just random action scenes for the entire thing,i could say the same of trigun tough i guess i like trigun music more
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1834 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »
i'm no fan of bebop either,there is barely any plot in it for me to care,it's just random action scenes for the entire thing,i could say the same of trigun tough i guess i like trigun music more

:wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #1835 on: January 10, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
Bebop is good.  The TV series is a bit overrated as only certain episodes are truly fantastic, but the movie is aceeeeee

bebpo hates everything

No, that's Jansen.  I just hate animu but consistently play animu games and watch anime :X

« Reply #1836 on: January 10, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »
I like anime, but the majority of what's been coming out recently is horrid. HORRID.
野球

Purple Filth

« Reply #1837 on: January 10, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »
I like anime, but the majority of what's been coming out recently is horrid. HORRID.

agreed

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1838 on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:55 PM »

Nobody's going to dispute that.

Also:

[youtube=560,345]N8QQeF5xSME[/youtube]

Bebop :rock
dog

Jansen

« Reply #1839 on: January 11, 2010, 04:40:43 AM »
maybe i'll give bebop a go after i finish darker than black.

but seriously being spoiled like i was really hurts my desire to see it.

oh i suppose i should also mention that i finally watched all of death note and have never seen a show tank so hard for 20 eps. after 15th eps it just kept getting worse and worse until eps 26 (i think) where things start looking up for a second but any hope of it getting better were dashed away once near and mellow were introduced.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1840 on: January 11, 2010, 05:02:28 AM »
yeah, i liked death note but like you said they ruined it pretty bad.

DtB is amazing if you love episodic stories, chinese electric batman won't disappoint.

Jansen

« Reply #1841 on: January 11, 2010, 05:10:41 AM »
i've seen 3 eps and it seems pretty good so far.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1842 on: January 11, 2010, 05:23:54 AM »
try to watch two episodes together since they are connected, like watch 3+4 then you can stop and come back later.

when i first started watching it, i was new to animu (only watched few animu with a friend before it) and i didn't understand how this slow paced episodic story works, stopped at episode 7 for a while then went back later with an open mind and enjoyed the hell out of it.

i just love how it's "mission based", hei taking on missions slowly, interacting with people...etc...

season 2 isn't the same sadly (short and fast, just main story now) but if you love DtB you will probably enjoy it (maybe not the ending) but i think it's better to wait for the 4 OVAs since you don't look like in a hurry anyway.

and btw, i hope you are watching the blu ray rips of DtB, it's 720p only but still look amazing. i want dat boxset dammit.

edit: totally forgot about the manga read this only after the 1st season, similar theme too but not complete yet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:37:39 AM by MCD »

Purple Filth

« Reply #1843 on: January 11, 2010, 05:51:38 AM »
maybe i'll give bebop a go after i finish darker than black.

but seriously being spoiled like i was really hurts my desire to see it.

oh i suppose i should also mention that i finally watched all of death note and have never seen a show tank so hard for 20 eps. after 15th eps it just kept getting worse and worse until eps 26 (i think) where things start looking up for a second but any hope of it getting better were dashed away once near and mellow were introduced.

dont worry, the manga was the same thing.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #1844 on: January 11, 2010, 05:57:07 AM »
i liked death note (boo-urns!) manga ending is slightly different and dare to say better than the anime ending
<----

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1845 on: January 11, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »
death note ending gave us this though:

SPOILERS

[youtube=560,345]-smJ9bBEhj0[/youtube]

Purple Filth

« Reply #1846 on: January 11, 2010, 06:07:52 AM »
i liked death note (boo-urns!) manga ending is slightly different and dare to say better than the anime ending

the manga version is better because Ryuk does the deed himself quicker.

He was the true fucking winner of this entire thing  :lol
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:20:30 AM by Purple Filth »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #1847 on: January 11, 2010, 07:00:23 AM »

the manga version is better because Ryuk does the deed himself quicker.

He was the true fucking winner of this entire thing  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
uh yea... the manga version is like "you are worthless,DIE!" and you are like "OMG AWESOME :O"
the anime version is like "oh i'm slowly dying,oh the dramaaaaaa,i remember when i was a little kid and i was just a normal guy" and you are like ":/"
[close]
<----

Jansen

« Reply #1848 on: January 11, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »
[youtube=560,345]xpLOs7Rajzw[/youtube]

this is still my favorite death note related video.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1849 on: January 11, 2010, 09:17:07 AM »
:lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1850 on: January 11, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Hanamaru Kindergarten

PLEASE GOD KILL ME NOW.

Is this really the same studio that made Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster/Diebuster, and FLCL? Die in a fire, Gainax.
dog

« Reply #1851 on: January 12, 2010, 12:13:31 AM »
Hanamaru Kindergarten

PLEASE GOD KILL ME NOW.

Is this really the same studio that made Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster/Diebuster, and FLCL? Die in a fire, Gainax.

Gainax has made a lot of shit, dude. Nothing new.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1852 on: January 12, 2010, 12:47:13 AM »
Death Note is only good for the comic factor after the first arc with L

Hanamaru Kindergarten

PLEASE GOD KILL ME NOW.

They can only have 1 quality product at a time!  Eva movies are still going for a few years, can't expect any good shows from them in the meantime :P

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1853 on: January 12, 2010, 10:13:38 AM »
Hanamaru Kindergarten

PLEASE GOD KILL ME NOW.

It's not that it's BAD, it's just so incredibly insipid and bland.
dog

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1854 on: January 13, 2010, 01:55:29 AM »
started reading HOLYLAND its some manly shit about street fighting
萌え~

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1855 on: January 13, 2010, 03:30:28 AM »
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/news/20060512p2g00m0dm014000c.html

Self-professed 'real otaku' rips into 'moe' fetish fakers

One of Japan's most prominent woman manga artists has lashed out at the country's burgeoning otaku culture, saying that those now proudly boasting of being geeks are little more than pedophiles, perverts and losers, according to Shukan Bunshun (5/18).

Mimei Sakamoto, a multitalented manga artist whose "Nippon no Mimei" is a must-read for all hip young Japanese, rips into the otaku, whose geek culture has moved into the mainstream courtesy of the business of "moe," a word that literally translates as "gushing" and describes the warm feeling the otaku get when they see something they like.

"Perhaps it's because 'Train Man' (the story of an otaku who wins the heart of a pretty woman) was such a hit, but recently I've seen all these dorky guys walking around in thick glasses and checkered shirts and it pains my heart to think that they may be hoping to meet some pretty girl who's going to fall in love with them. Sorry guys, the chances of that happening are zero," Sakamoto tells Shukan Bunshun.

Sakamoto goes on to lambaste the otaku tendencies to idolize young girls and women wearing spectacles.

"This fetish you call 'moe' is a pedophiliac fetish and is nothing more than perversion. It's not really something you should be gushing over," the manga artist says, addressing the otaku. "In other countries, they'd call what you're fantasizing over 'child pornography' and you'd all be arrested. I'm ashamed that these 'otaku' who are perpetual criminals have entered the mainstream and started an otaku boom."

Sakamoto continues, saying that those now regarded as otaku really aren't geeks at all.

"All the world is going around talking about maid cafes and stuff and making these so-called otaku look good. But people must realize that these guys are simply men incapable of recognizing reality and are incapable of being in a normal loving relationship. I can't stop crying over the fact that these people have been labeled as otaku and that we are now going through an otaku boom," she tells Shukan Bunshun.

The manga artist also points out that sharp marketers are also suckering the ersatz otaku.

"There's a tendency in the otaku market to avoid producing contents that are going to sell in terms of millions or tens of millions. Instead, they find a semi-hit then bring out figurines, DVD box sets, premium editions and all sorts of related materials that are drastically over-wrapped and sell to the same people who bought the original product in the first place," the manga artist says. "So-called otaku are caught up in this money making cycle and all they're doing is spending their hard-earned yen (which often comes from their parents in a lot of cases). And, what's really sad, is that loads of these gullible suckers don't even realize that they're being taken for a ride."

Sakamoto claims to have street credibility.

"I'm a fully-fledged otaku. I used to shut myself away from the world. A real otaku would never go out and about in the world because they wouldn't believe anything good could happen to them if they did so, anyway. They all believe the world is out to get them," Sakamoto tells Shukan Bunshun. "Real otaku should go back and shut yourselves off from the world again. The true value of being a real otaku lay in the belief that nobody else understands you."
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1856 on: January 13, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
*MANIME ALERT* *MANIME ALERT*

Cobra the Animation

If you've seen the old Space Adventure Cobra series, or maybe some of the recent OVA, you have a pretty good idea of what this show's about. If not, it's about a guy [Cobra] who blasts fools with his psycho gun, hits on hot women [that's WOMEN, as in adult females], cracks jokes in the middle of battle, and gets into lots of scifi adventures. It's also probably the best thing on Japanese TV right now. Cheesy? Oh yes, definitely. But that's why I love it.
dog

« Reply #1857 on: January 15, 2010, 12:19:04 AM »
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #1858 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
will order for sure

how many volumes will it be total?

« Reply #1859 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:35 AM »
Six volumes. We're still paying Japan prices, but I don't give a fuck.
野球