Author Topic: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread  (Read 318198 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread
« Reply #1860 on: January 15, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
I gave up on Chu-Bra after the second episode. Even ironically, I just can't watch any more of it.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #1861 on: January 15, 2010, 12:26:01 AM »
ah, now I don't know if I should spend $210 and get the blu-ray as they're released or watch online and pick up the box set in the end.  If it wasn't UC Gundam this choice would be a lot easier.

« Reply #1862 on: January 15, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
Yeah, if it wasn't Gundam I'd wait. But, it is Gundam and it will probably be released over the course of a year or two, so I don't mind dropping mad dough.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #1863 on: January 15, 2010, 02:01:30 AM »
Oh wow.  $35 is very doable for me.

I'd given up on importing anime because spending $500 on a tv series was a huge waste of money back in the day when I was into anime.  But I'll pay non-import prices for GUNDAM on blu-ray for sure.

And this is very much a non-import price for us americanos.  I'm sure if I imported it from Japan it'd be like $60-70 an ep after shipping.  I think I paid about $60 an ep to import FLCL as it was coming out >_<  Worth it but still >_<  So $35 no tax, free shipping w/prime = fine price for day 1 Japanese quality anime on blu-ray.  Wish we could have gotten the new Hellsing OAV like this as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:05:34 AM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1864 on: January 15, 2010, 03:11:06 AM »
I gave up on Chu-Bra after the second episode. Even ironically, I just can't watch any more of it.

Despite the ecchi, my wife liked it.  She kept saying how she understood the characters' feelings and that it could be a good show for girls that age.   :lol  Is there such thing as "ecchi shoujo?"  LOL.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:13:18 AM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1865 on: January 15, 2010, 08:20:13 AM »
yaoi?
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1866 on: January 15, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »

Despite the ecchi, my wife liked it.  She kept saying how she understood the characters' feelings and that it could be a good show for girls that age.   :lol  Is there such thing as "ecchi shoujo?"  LOL.

I mean, the show is so clearly aimed at young teenage girls, I get that and I could even watch a show like that, BUT it so often dips into the "lololol one of the main characters is so obsessed with underwear that she gropes the other main character and everyone thinks they're lesbians!!!" or *insert highly detailed cheesecake shot here* that it's just...my brain was shriveling up like a rotten apple.
dog

« Reply #1867 on: January 15, 2010, 11:30:08 AM »
I'd love to see the Gundam U.C. novels make their way here, but right now I'm just glad they're following through on the Blu-rays.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1868 on: January 16, 2010, 12:57:43 PM »
Episode 2 of Durarara!! was more focused than the first, as expected. It continues to be really, really good and much better than anything else this season.

Episode 2 of Baka to Test was good too. I know lyte hates it, but I think it manages to be just enough of a parody of the battle arena and high school comedy genres to be consistently funny. Yeah, some [most] of the stuff is stuff we've all seen before, but it's got a light-hearted energy to it that just works.

Episode 2 of Cobra the Animation was another injection of pure 80's nostalgia, a much appreciated thing in these dark times.
dog

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1869 on: January 16, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
Episode 2 of Durarara!! was more focused than the first, as expected. It continues to be really, really good and much better than anything else this season.

Episode 2 of Baka to Test was good too. I know lyte hates it, but I think it manages to be just enough of a parody of the battle arena and high school comedy genres to be consistently funny. Yeah, some [most] of the stuff is stuff we've all seen before, but it's got a light-hearted energy to it that just works.

Episode 2 of Cobra the Animation was another injection of pure 80's nostalgia, a much appreciated thing in these dark times.

This is not saying very much.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1870 on: January 16, 2010, 01:28:47 PM »

This is not saying very much.

No, but that doesn't dull Durarara's shine however.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1872 on: January 16, 2010, 11:57:48 PM »
I'm eager to check out Cobra, but first I need to watch the two OVA series from last year.  Got 'em all downloaded and ready to go.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1873 on: January 17, 2010, 11:35:59 AM »
Duradura aired and no one told me?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1874 on: January 17, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »
Duradura aired and no one told me?

It's Durarara and it was mentioned earlier in this thread right after the first episode came out.

Alright, guys and gals, here's the news you've finally been waiting for: The winter 2009 anime season is officially SAVED. That's right, well and truly saved, courtesy of the creators of Bacano!, meaning that I'm talking about Durarara!!.

First episode is mainly setup since there's a ton of characters all moving around and sometimes interacting with each other, much like Bacano. Right now it's a bit difficult to see where it's going, but that's not really a problem right now. Anyway, the first episode was really good. There were a lot of characters, some that look rather interesting, and a bit of mystery added in. The story is about a highschool kid who has never once left his home town and then transfer to Ikebukoro to go to school with a guy that knew several years ago. But that's just the surface, there's a lot going on beneath that and it looks like a good setup for some awesomeness. Here's the kicker: animu is a minimum, fanservice is zilch, and moe-loli is not found here.

Rejoice, my brothers. Rejoice.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1875 on: January 17, 2010, 12:51:32 PM »
I JUST ASKED LIKE A WEEK AGO IF THE BACCANO TEAM'S ANIME HAD AIRED AND YOU SAID NO
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1876 on: January 17, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »
I JUST ASKED LIKE A WEEK AGO IF THE BACCANO TEAM'S ANIME HAD AIRED AND YOU SAID NO

When you asked, it hadn't starting airing yet!
dog

Himu

« Reply #1877 on: January 17, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »
GOING TO WATCH DURARARARARARARARARARARARARA
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1878 on: January 17, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »
DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
dog

Himu

« Reply #1879 on: January 17, 2010, 01:17:10 PM »
i'm no fan of bebop either,there is barely any plot in it for me to care,it's just random action scenes for the entire thing,i could say the same of trigun tough i guess i like trigun music more

This is something I've never understood.

And it's always the people who like stories that want to hold your hand who say it.

Bebpo has a plot, but it's subdued compared to the general story, which is about the universe the story takes place in. The crime, the mobsters, the culture, the worlds, their cities, the sciene experiments. I think Bebop is about humanity and it tries to envision what things would be like if we (as in humans) successfully made colonies in space. I like how refreshing the setting is: I've noticed that in many sci-fi settings, everything looks sleek and high tech, but A LOT of Bebop looks poor and downtrodden. It does this successfully without appearing to be a cyberpunk as well.

Cowboy Bebop still remains the best anime tv series in my eyes.

The direction, writing, dialogue, music, setting, characters, story, plot, themes are such a cut above most standard anime tv series that it's ridiculous. Only few, to me, really stand up to it and that's stuff like Now and Then, Here and There.

Goddamn, I'm turning this into a Bebop thread.

[youtube=560,345]w-jcE8kqK9k[/youtube]
[youtube=560,345]u92kvmB_6SY[/youtube]

I'd rather rewatch Cowboy Bebop than watch a new anime.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1880 on: January 17, 2010, 01:22:51 PM »
One of the few shows I've seen that comes as close to the quality of Cowboy Bebop on all levels is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1881 on: January 17, 2010, 01:26:40 PM »
naruto > bebpo

Himu

« Reply #1882 on: January 17, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »
One of the few shows I've seen that comes as close to the quality of Cowboy Bebop on all levels is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I agree.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1883 on: January 17, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1884 on: January 17, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
naruto is not better than bebpo
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1885 on: January 17, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »

I agree.

:heartbeat
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1886 on: January 17, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »
[youtube=560,345]t4QTRCH3kI8[/youtube]

nothing comes close to sasuke kun

an expert

a genius

SASUUUUUUUUKE

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1887 on: January 17, 2010, 04:41:55 PM »
Only two great anime series have ever been made: Cowboy Bebop and Speed Racer.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1888 on: January 17, 2010, 04:53:58 PM »
[youtube=560,345]t4QTRCH3kI8[/youtube]

nothing comes close to sasuke kun

an expert

a genius

SASUUUUUUUUKE

The sound in the first few seconds just about popped the pimple that's currently in my ear. I'm wearing headphones.

Fuck you.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1889 on: January 17, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »
it's all genjutsu

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1890 on: January 17, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »
MCD posted an AMV.   :-\
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1891 on: January 17, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1892 on: January 20, 2010, 01:12:57 PM »
The guys behind Ladies vs. Butlers are really outdoing themselves. I'm reading about the third episode and it apparently involves this:

*VERY NSFW IN ALL POSSIBLE WAYS*

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/01/20/ladies-vs-butlers-topless-loli-nurse-raep-action/

smh x 100,000,000
dog

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1893 on: January 20, 2010, 01:25:08 PM »
The guys behind Ladies vs. Butlers are really outdoing themselves. I'm reading about the third episode and it apparently involves this:

*VERY NSFW IN ALL POSSIBLE WAYS*

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/01/20/ladies-vs-butlers-topless-loli-nurse-raep-action/

smh x 100,000,000

i love how this passes but Quazer gets the censored bat really hard to the face  :lol :lol :lol :lol

« Reply #1894 on: January 20, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
What the fuck, Japan.

:dizzy
野球

« Reply #1895 on: January 20, 2010, 03:59:20 PM »
Watched the first episode of Durarara, wasn't bad. I'll probably watch a couple more on Crunchyroll before making up my mind.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1896 on: January 20, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
Ladies Versus Butlers scares me.   :-\

i love how this passes but Quazer gets the censored bat really hard to the face  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Apparently NAKED LOLI RAPE = OK! -but- BREAST MILK DRINKIN' = NO GO ADULTS ONLY WHAT ARE YOU A PERVERT?!
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1897 on: January 20, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »
Almost finished Umineko, it's a pretty awesome show. The broadcast version is censored like a bitch, though. They can't even show people getting a fence post jammed through their neck with pixelation. :(
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1898 on: January 20, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
Almost finished Umineko, it's a pretty awesome show. The broadcast version is censored like a bitch, though. They can't even show people getting a fence post jammed through their neck with pixelation. :(

Violence is a terrible thing, Joe.  Can't have the children getting exposed to that!  Now back to Majikaru Moe Moe Hadaka Loli Reepu Chu.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1899 on: January 20, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »

Violence is a terrible thing, Joe.  Can't have the children getting exposed to that!  Now back to Majikaru Moe Moe Hadaka Loli Reepu Chu.

OMG, I just clicked on that link and dear sweet Jesus please just take me up to Heaven now!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

She is “19,” so there is nothing untoward about any of this.

STOP IT. Just cut it right out, Japan.  :wag
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1900 on: January 20, 2010, 04:44:53 PM »

I can't believe they're actually getting away with this stuff in a broadcast series. I mean...really:-\

Dance in the Vampire Bund was pretty bad in the second episode, but not this bad.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. Vampire Bund is pretty much just as bad.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1901 on: January 20, 2010, 05:31:53 PM »
Yup, Vampire Bund is another series I think I may drop after that second episode.

If you're gonna go all-out with fan service crap, do it right like with Queen's Blade. 
ど助平

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1902 on: January 20, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »

the violence in Umineko is too much though, i can't blame them for the censoring.

awesome show nonetheless.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1903 on: January 20, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »
I'm all for less violence and more sex (as in, it's always been fucked up to me that sex is taboo in society and it is reflected this way in TV shows/movies, but violence is no problem!), but naked little girls and borderline molestation scenarios is where the line has to be drawn. 

"Fan service" used to just be like panty shot here or a boob bounce there.  It wasn't the prevalent part of anime.  That's the problem with so many of these shows...it's taken over.  Good writing and story have given way to moe-loli panty shots and harem scenarios.  How many fucking times do we need to see "typical high school student, shy around girls and devoid of personality gets thrust into situation in which various female character stereotypes suddenly vie for his (nonexistent) affection?"  Enough with that shit already.  THINK OF SOMETHING NEW.  Also consider that there is in fact life after grade school and ages 13-16.

Anime is the one instance where people aren't wearing nostalgia goggles when saying the older shows are better.  They really are.  If it's going to take some sort of "anime crash" to make the industry realize that this crap isn't going to sustain them forever, then so be it. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:41:56 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1904 on: January 20, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »
Basically, what you're saying is that you want something like this:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5032/Cobra_the_Animation:_Rokunin_no_Yuushi

Cobra  8)
dog

« Reply #1905 on: January 20, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »
I have no problem with sex, none. However, little girls (just because you say they're 19 doesn't make it true!) and awkwardly perverse material has taken over Japan.

And my favorite genre, mecha, for the most part, has been relegated to movies and OVAs in favor of this crap.
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1906 on: January 20, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »
I'm all for less violence and more sex (as in, it's always been fucked up to me that sex is taboo in society and it is reflected this way in TV shows/movies, but violence is no problem!), but naked little girls and borderline molestation scenarios is where the line has to be drawn.

At least back in the day the sick stuff was relegated to OVA. Now some of the stuff they get away with on TV, makes crap like Urotsukidōji seem normal.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1907 on: January 20, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
Rumbler-- Yeah man, I got both 2009 OVA series and the first few TV eps of Cobra ready to go.   :pimp  Think I may check out that Golgo 13 series from a couple of years ago too.

I have no problem with sex, none. However, little girls (just because you say they're 19 doesn't make it true!) and awkwardly perverse material has taken over Japan.

And my favorite genre, mecha, for the most part, has been relegated to movies and OVAs in favor of this crap.

Seems like even the mecha stuff has been invaded by moe moe and bishonen characters, looking at Gundam 00 and even its predecessors like Wing.

At least back in the day the sick stuff was relegated to OVA. Now some of the stuff they get away with on TV, makes crap like Urotsukidōji seem normal.

Well, I haven't seen anything even come close to a dead coming back to life, raping a nurse in the morgue, and then growing to the size of a giant while his equally-gigantic member crushes buildings like a runaway subway train.  And then there's a climatic battle where the two characters' dicks are used as weapons!   :lol  That first Urotsukidoji was fucking hilarious.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1908 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »
Think I may check out that Golgo 13 series from a couple of years ago too.

I only watched a few episode of it, but what I saw was pretty awesome.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1909 on: January 20, 2010, 10:15:30 PM »
Well, I haven't seen anything even come close to a dead coming back to life, raping a nurse in the morgue, and then growing to the size of a giant while his equally-gigantic member crushes buildings like a runaway subway train.  And then there's a climatic battle where the two characters' dicks are used as weapons!   :lol  That first Urotsukidoji was fucking hilarious.

That was just good clean fun, man. :lol
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1910 on: January 20, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »
Only the third Urotsukidoji movie is available on Netflix.  :-\

I just downloaded this 37 minute promotional video for Gaga Communications [an 80's anime outfit] and this has some truly incredible stuff on it. :lol

They rebranded Project A-ko to Supernova [even changing Ako's name to Supernova!], MD Geist to Thunder Warrior, and Bubblegum Crisis to Futurescape!! :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:32:38 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #1911 on: January 20, 2010, 10:21:40 PM »
So this is what happens when softcore porn is allowed on daily tv.

Purple Filth

« Reply #1912 on: January 20, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »

Apparently NAKED LOLI RAPE = OK! -but- BREAST MILK DRINKIN' = NO GO ADULTS ONLY WHAT ARE YOU A PERVERT?!

Well i guess not since they actually released an uncensored version of Quazer now  :lol

so the milk drinking is now intact.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1913 on: January 20, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
Cobra is awesome. Awesome is Cobra.

:bow Cobra :bow2
dog

« Reply #1914 on: January 20, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
Rumbler-- Yeah man, I got both 2009 OVA series and the first few TV eps of Cobra ready to go.   :pimp  Think I may check out that Golgo 13 series from a couple of years ago too.

Seems like even the mecha stuff has been invaded by moe moe and bishonen characters, looking at Gundam 00 and even its predecessors like Wing.

It's in there, I guess, but it doesn't take over the show, so I don't have a problem with it. Never cared for Wing, though.
野球

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1915 on: January 21, 2010, 04:18:13 AM »
Darker than Black - Shikkoku no Hana #13

http://simple-scans.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=qg7p2od8k15jgrrd36cafo7kl3&topic=58.0

goddamn this was awesome.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #1916 on: January 21, 2010, 09:09:41 AM »
MCD is my bro. I just came to post that.
Boo

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #1917 on: January 22, 2010, 03:43:39 PM »
so anyone watched this umineko thing? i've read the premise and it sounds interessing plus supposedly it's made by the higurashi creator which was cool when it wasn't busy being all :uguu
<----

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1918 on: January 22, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
so anyone watched this umineko thing? i've read the premise and it sounds interessing plus supposedly it's made by the higurashi creator which was cool when it wasn't busy being all :uguu

Yes, it's good. It's like Higurashi in a haunted house but without the moe. It also has witches that are not tweeny (well, maybe one :teehee)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:07:24 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1919 on: January 22, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »

its ok, not great

i felt trolled after watching it tbh
萌え~