Author Topic: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread  (Read 318299 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Bore Anime Thread
« Reply #1200 on: October 03, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »
don't, it sux.

I wasn't going to!

Here's another first episode review:

Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra - In a world that's sort of like Victorian England, people that die turn into stone books that contain their memories and such. It sounds interesting, but the execution is...not so good. It's a total info dump show with tons of characters that get a minute or two, lots of overwrought dialogue, mind-numbing philosophical ponderings, and little to nothing is explained in any satisfactory way.

The Good - Some of the actions scenes look okay, premise is interesting, and some of the European-esque architecture looks really cool.

The Bad - CG is TERRIBLE [like, I've seen mid-90's videogames with better CG], animation overall is pretty weak, no interesting characters have emerged yet, and too much philoso-babble.

Overall - Could be good down the line, but I'm not wasting any more time on this one.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1201 on: October 03, 2009, 02:03:12 PM »
And another:

The Sacred Blacksmith - Straight-up medieval fantasy. A female knight gets her sword shattered in her first real fight and is saved by a guy that's blacksmith of some kind. She wants him to make her a new sword, but he doesn't really want to. There's also demons and some shadowy entity that controls them.

The Good - Nothing really offensive here, animation is okay, and that's about it.

The Bad - There's nothing here that really grabs from the onset and it just feels kind of bland.

Overall - I might try episode two when that comes outs, but if that doesn't do any more for me I'll drop this one as well.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1202 on: October 03, 2009, 02:07:58 PM »
I like medieval fantasy themes but it sounds like another harem animu.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1203 on: October 03, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »
I like medieval fantasy themes but it sounds like another harem animu.

I don't know, I'm not really sensing that it's going in that direction.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1204 on: October 03, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1205 on: October 03, 2009, 02:14:55 PM »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10874

I can tell just from this one picture :pimp

Haha, yeah, it does make it look that way from the pictures, but it doesn't come across that way in the first episode.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1206 on: October 03, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »
Well I will keep an eye on it, perhaps it will turn out like Druaga which I liked.

Himu

« Reply #1207 on: October 03, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »
Major is fucking amazing.  :o

are you starting from season 1?

Season 1 and 2 are great, Season 3 begins to drag and Seasons 4 and 5 are pretty much the same things.  There is also a movie that's good and set between Seasons 1 and 2, but since it's a flashback, it spoils events from Season 5.

If you liked the first two seasons and wanted something like that, but a lot better, check out Ookiku Furikabutte (or Big Windup in the states).  It's pretty much the second best sports anime behind Ippo.

I haven't been watching too much anime in the past few months.  I've actually kinda stopped watching anime I was n the middle of, so I should return to those.  Probably Michiko to Hatchin since I stopped at episode 15.

Michiko to Hatchin is average as fuck, that's why. Typical anime. Great visuals, shit story.

As for Major, I was liking Major a lot at first because it placed a lot of emphasis on drama and relationships, but now it seems like your standard baseball manga/anime. Not that that's bad. Still good stuff, though.

And I consider Slam Dunk the best sports anime. Ippo is good, but has zero character development.
IYKYK

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1208 on: October 03, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »
railgun was funny but it is definitely a fanservice show I would not recommend to others

you are missing out on some character backstory if you didnt watch 'to aru majutsu no index' though, which is a kinda bad anime with the occasional humorous moment

best thing about it was probably the music, which I cant link cause youtube is being useless
萌え~

Himu

« Reply #1209 on: October 03, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »
I don't watch anime these days. The only anime I watch is One Piece.

Major is a big change of pace.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1210 on: October 03, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »
railgun was funny but it is definitely a fanservice show I would not recommend to others

Yeah, pretty much. It's still the best show I've seen so far this season, by a very wide margin. Kampfer [lol] and Letter Bee are next on the docket.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1211 on: October 03, 2009, 02:48:28 PM »
That Railgun show looks like it has a bunch of loli designs.  And it has fan service and "lezu"?   :yuck

I'm downloading Baccano now.  Looked it up after Prole's post, and the premise seemed pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:51:28 PM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1212 on: October 03, 2009, 02:57:03 PM »
That Railgun show looks like it has a bunch of loli designs.  And it has fan service and "lezu"?   :yuck

It's not too bad. Well...except for the shower room scene, that was pretty over the top. It's at least interesting though, and the action is well done.
dog

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1213 on: October 03, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
yes lyte, it does

one of the characters is humorously gay

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
萌え~

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1214 on: October 03, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »
"Onee-sama?"   :-X
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1215 on: October 03, 2009, 02:59:01 PM »
Baccano is the best anime tv series of the past 5 years.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1216 on: October 03, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
I'd go straight for biribiri.

no homo.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1217 on: October 03, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »
I'd go straight for biribiri.

no homo.

What's "Biribiri?"
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1218 on: October 03, 2009, 03:01:40 PM »

No, the correct answer is DETROIT METAL CITY.
ど助平

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1219 on: October 03, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »

BIRIBIRI

Himu

« Reply #1220 on: October 03, 2009, 03:03:46 PM »

No, the correct answer is DETROIT METAL CITY.

Detroit Metal City's manga is better because it continues after the anime's ending. Baccano has a great plot and characters while every DMC episode got repetitive past the first three episodes. You could always predict what was going to happen.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1221 on: October 03, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »
yes lyte, it does

one of the characters is humorously gay

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Oh yes, that's not going to get old over the next 13+ episode.  :lol
dog

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #1222 on: October 03, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
I liked the first episode of biribiri as well. Nice music during the fighting part.
Boo

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1223 on: October 03, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »
hopefully more of this

萌え~

Himu

« Reply #1224 on: October 03, 2009, 03:09:54 PM »
I feel so out of the loop in regards to anime these days. Like, it's clear the anime they air is the complete opposite of the anime I like to watch.

Just looking at clips and pics Viz and MCD or Rumbler post in this thread made me vomit in my mouth.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1225 on: October 03, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »
I don't mind you vomiting in my mouth hon.

Himu

« Reply #1226 on: October 03, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
I only like vomiting in my mouth when i have to take your whole cock
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1227 on: October 03, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »
what a slut

on a serious note, what kind of animu you like to watch, himu? i might have something you didn't watch yet.

Himu

« Reply #1228 on: October 03, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »
I never denied I wasn't.
IYKYK

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #1229 on: October 03, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
A new season of Inuyasha is coming up. Don't you like Inuyasha? Inuyasha is good. Fairy Tale is apparently One Piece with magic. Seems like a good time to me.
Boo

cool breeze

« Reply #1230 on: October 03, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »
In general the only anime I watch are things I've been catching up with, like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.  That's probably the only anime I watch weekly now.  I download Bleach/Naruto and usually skip them if there isn't a well animated fight.

Still need to start one piece

Major is fucking amazing.  :o

are you starting from season 1?

Season 1 and 2 are great, Season 3 begins to drag and Seasons 4 and 5 are pretty much the same things.  There is also a movie that's good and set between Seasons 1 and 2, but since it's a flashback, it spoils events from Season 5.

If you liked the first two seasons and wanted something like that, but a lot better, check out Ookiku Furikabutte (or Big Windup in the states).  It's pretty much the second best sports anime behind Ippo.

I haven't been watching too much anime in the past few months.  I've actually kinda stopped watching anime I was n the middle of, so I should return to those.  Probably Michiko to Hatchin since I stopped at episode 15.

Michiko to Hatchin is average as fuck, that's why. Typical anime. Great visuals, shit story.

As for Major, I was liking Major a lot at first because it placed a lot of emphasis on drama and relationships, but now it seems like your standard baseball manga/anime. Not that that's bad. Still good stuff, though.

And I consider Slam Dunk the best sports anime. Ippo is good, but has zero character development.

Watch Ookiku Furikabutte.  Seriously.  If that's what you liked about Major, you will really, really like Ookiku Furikabutte.  If you don't, feel free to come back and tell me to "fuck off".

and the only reason I'm thinking about finishing Michiko to Hatchin is because it's the least amount of catching up I need to do.  Other anime I need to finish are:

Ghost Hound (stopped half way, was kinda boring)
Allison and Lillia (the first major plot point ended at episode 4 or so, and I have 22 more episodes to finish; it was so-so but it's from the guy who did Kino, so I have faith in later episodes)
Nodame (the whole second season)
Haruhi (whole second season)

of the few episodes of Michiko to Hatchin I watched, I thought it was kinda boring.  It tried too hard to be stylish but there was no real payoff to it; it was pure fluff.  Samurai Champloo was similarly going for that super stylish, uh, style, but you had awesome fights and characters (THE DOG PLAYS BASEBALL).  Michiko is an annoying bitch and Hatchin is an annoying brat.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:33:23 PM by swaggaz »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1231 on: October 03, 2009, 03:29:29 PM »
Ookiku looks mad homo man.

Himu

« Reply #1232 on: October 03, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »
I need to finish Allison and Lillia. I stopped watching when people stopped subbing.

Does Ookiku Furikabutte in manga form?
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #1233 on: October 03, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »
It kinda is.  I mean, there is no romance or hints that boys are into girls, and the biggest relationship is between the pitcher and catcher (no homo).  And in one of the later episodes, there is practically an openly gay character.  But it's great and more about team building, strategy and characters rather than just two powerful teams going up against each other.

actually, thinking about it, there is a lot of gay subtext that could be read from many of the scenes.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:41:19 PM by swaggaz »

Himu

« Reply #1234 on: October 03, 2009, 03:41:10 PM »
Checking this out then.

Is there an anime?

The manga on onemanga has 21 chapters. Is that up to date?

edit: Seeing that the first chapter has 64 pages, I'm going to assume it is.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #1235 on: October 03, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »
Never read the manga.  But yeah, there is an anime that's the standard 26 episodes.

I would say it's worth watching the anime since the animation and music are good.

and another good, different sports anime recommendation is One Outs (still Baseball).  It's a lot more about gambling and mind games based around baseball.  Like, the main character is a pitcher named Tokuchi, and the reason he's a good pitcher is because he just fucks around with everyone else in the game.  In one episode, the other team had a rookie pitcher who was really good, so to break him, he pretended like the pitcher had a tell while he was pitching.  He said it loud enough that the pitcher could hear it, then from then on, the pitcher kept grasping his glove tighter thinking it would counter the tell, when really, he never had a problem and Tokuchi fucked him up mentally and gave him one so they could win the game.  He basically ruined the guy's career to win that one game.  In another episode, he catches someone cheating, but instead of going to the authorities, he makes that person bow to him in front of the entire stadium  :lol
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:56:13 PM by swaggaz »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1236 on: October 03, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
My anime backlog, much like my game backlog, is huge.  I have stuff going back like 10 years that I still need to watch.   :lol  I think I'm going to go through Cromartie High School next.  I got the first DVD years ago when it came out, but never got the rest of them.  Just downloaded the entire series and the live action movie.

Detroit Metal City's manga is better because it continues after the anime's ending. Baccano has a great plot and characters while every DMC episode got repetitive past the first three episodes. You could always predict what was going to happen.

Yes, if you asked me about comics, I'd tell you DMC is the best one of the last 4-5 years, too.   ;)  DMC is all about the gags.  It was great the whole way through.  And stuff like "fucking" Tokyo Tower, that's pretty predictable!

Manga is pretty much always better than the anime adaptions of them.  You get better, more consistent artwork, more fleshed-out, longer stories, etc. etc.  The only anime I've ever enjoyed more than the manga was Azumanga Daioh.  It just worked better animated.  I also hate how so many anime versions of manga are cut short and finish in 13 or 26 episodes.  Even some of the longer ones, like GTO, still didn't cover everything, and it got a goofy ending completely different from the original.

A new season of Inuyasha is coming up. Don't you like Inuyasha? Inuyasha is good. Fairy Tale is apparently One Piece with magic. Seems like a good time to me.

I like Urusei Yatsura, One-Pound Gospel, and love Maison Ikkoku and Ranma 1/2, but just could not get into Inu-Yasha.  Takahashi has some new manga out now, and its plot description was also just "meh."

Fairy Tail is awesome.  I bought all the comics when I was in Japan.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in animated form.  It's from the same guy who did Groove Adventure Rave (Rave Master in the U.S., right?).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:58:44 PM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1237 on: October 03, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »
Don't get me wrong, though.

I LOVED DMC and I love you even more for recommending it, but Baccano tickles my dickle a lot more ;)
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1238 on: October 03, 2009, 04:06:29 PM »
Here's one more:

Letter Bee - In a world where the sun never shines, people called Letter Bees deliver messages and packages between the world's semi-isolated cities. Also, there's these giant insect-things that are massively huge and lurk in the areas between cities. The main characters, named Gauche, comes across his latest package, a young boy named Lag. Together they set out for the destination Gauche was given. Not much in the way of story has come through just yet, but the world is a really interesting one.

The Good: Art style is fairly unique with lots of dark purples and blues, world is interesting, no fanservice in sight.

The Bad: The story really hasn't gotten going yet and the first episode is a bit slow.

Overall: I'm intrigued by the world, so even though there really isn't a story to draw me in just yet, I'll stick with it.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1239 on: October 03, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »
Don't get me wrong, though.

I LOVED DMC and I love you even more for recommending it, but Baccano tickles my dickle a lot more ;)

From what I read about it, Baccano is also a short anime adaption of a longer manga series.
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #1240 on: October 03, 2009, 06:05:43 PM »
I still need to watch Cromartie, Zeta Gundam, and continue where I left off with One Piece. The only current show that I'm watching is FMA: Brotherhood. I downloaded Baccano before and deleted it. I don't know why.

« Reply #1241 on: October 03, 2009, 06:07:17 PM »
Not watching a damn thing. I sure hope Gundam Unicorn isn't the only thing next year that's remotely interesting to me.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1242 on: October 04, 2009, 04:27:46 PM »
Watched the first episode of Seitokai no Ichizon and then tried to watch the first episodes of Kampfer and Nyan Koi, though I really don't know why. Nyan Koi isn't offensive like the other two, but there's really nothing there to distinguish it from a million other, similar shows. Seitokai no Ichizon is like every light-novel-turned-anime that's ever been made, but worse. Don't bother watching any of those shows, even out of morbid curiosity.

Fall '09 Ranking:

1. A Certain Scientific Railgun
2. Letter Bee
3. Sacred Blacksmith
4. Armed Librarians
5. Nyan Koi
6. Seitokai no Ichizon
7. Kampfer
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #1243 on: October 04, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »
Only thing I'm watching is FMA, which is disappointing on a weekly basis but what can you do

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1244 on: October 04, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »
Only thing I'm watching is FMA, which is disappointing on a weekly basis but what can you do

You could be watching some Scientific Railgun and Letter Bee and not be feeling disappointed.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1245 on: October 04, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »
what are these shows even about rumbler
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1246 on: October 04, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
they made you vomit in your mouth.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1247 on: October 04, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »

Then why do you keep watching it?   :lol
ど助平

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1248 on: October 04, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
their is nothing wrong with the new fma
萌え~

Bebpo

« Reply #1249 on: October 04, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »
their is nothing wrong with the new fma

:lol

-Bad pacing (changing the manga flow for no reason)
-Bad direction.  Scenes are made overdramatic for no reason; normal scenes are draggged out; zero sense of directorial style
-Totally average animation with rare moments of great animation
-Random bad art times
-CG ENVY ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The original anime while having way more filler early on was still a far better anime.  Mizushima was a great director.  Without him the show is no different than the anime adaptations of Naruto/One Piece/Bleach and other standard action anime adaptations.

Then why do you keep watching it?   :lol

Mainly out of duty since the original FMA was one of my favorite series and I like the manga.  Plus occasionally there are great fight animation scenes in the anime.  Like Ling vs. Wrath/Gluttony.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:14:07 PM by Bebpo »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1250 on: October 04, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »
After all he made Gundam 00, the only entertaining Gundam show.

:drake

Bebpo

« Reply #1251 on: October 04, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »
OO wasn't totally his fault though.  He made a good first season.  Sunrise execs fucked up S2.

Plus he did Oh Edo Rocket! which gives him good points for many years to come.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1252 on: October 04, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »
Sunrise made it even more entertaining.

00 is a masterpiece, AA material.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1253 on: October 04, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »
what are these shows even about rumbler

This:

A Certain Scientific Railgun - Kids with psychokinetic powers live in a futuristic city and help keep the peace. The first episode does a good job of setting this up and manages to avoid one of the biggest problems plaguing new anime: info dump. It gives you the information you need in a way that comes across as a lot more natural than in a lot of series. There's nothing about some shadowy conspiracy or shadowy organizations or shadowy figures. There's Judgement [the city's police force], ESP powers, and varying levels of ESP powers. That's pretty much what the first episode gives you, aside from introducing the four main characters. The highlights of the show are the animation during the action sequences, which is fluid and well-done, and the backgrounds, which are vibrant and detailed. The characters themselves probably won't win any awards for originality, but they do seem to have some depth beyond that.

The Good: Animation during action sequences, backgrounds, good basis for some cool stuff later on, and the characters are slightly above the norm for anime.

The Bad: Cheesecake [Shock!] is present from episode one and it sets the basis for more to come [one of the girls is in love with another of the girls, so expected LOTS of jokes stemming from this].

Hard to tell where it's going to go from here, but the first episode was pretty good.

Letter Bee - In a world where the sun never shines, people called Letter Bees deliver messages and packages between the world's semi-isolated cities. Also, there's these giant insect-things that are massively huge and lurk in the areas between cities. The main characters, named Gauche, comes across his latest package, a young boy named Lag. Together they set out for the destination Gauche was given. Not much in the way of story has come through just yet, but the world is a really interesting one.

The Good: Art style is fairly unique with lots of dark purples and blues, world is interesting, no fanservice in sight.

The Bad: The story really hasn't gotten going yet and the first episode is a bit slow.

Overall: I'm intrigued by the world, so even though there really isn't a story to draw me in just yet, I'll stick with it.
dog

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1254 on: October 04, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »
Sunrise made it even more entertaining.

00 is a masterpiece, AA material.

season 1 was very cool, season 2 was..........ok.

Cant wait for them to find Aliens!!

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1255 on: October 04, 2009, 07:21:28 PM »
both were very cool.

don't betray me now bro.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1256 on: October 04, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »
Watching Tales of the Abyss reminded me of how everyone is a complete dick toward Luke.

cool breeze

« Reply #1257 on: October 04, 2009, 09:37:25 PM »
[youtube=560,345]uiwY1F6oxlY[/youtube]

:'(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1258 on: October 04, 2009, 09:40:46 PM »
[youtube=560,345]uiwY1F6oxlY[/youtube]

:'(

Nostalgia's fun and I do love indulging in it quite a bit, but about half of the animes in that video are terrible. Laughably so, but still.  :lol

By the way, First Squad: The Moment of Truth [Japanese/Russian coproduction] hit the nets today, if anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:50:41 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

treythemovie

« Reply #1259 on: October 04, 2009, 09:53:22 PM »
Fairy Tail is awesome.  I bought all the comics when I was in Japan.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in animated form.  It's from the same guy who did Groove Adventure Rave (Rave Master in the U.S., right?).
The manga's pretty neat but the teaser for the anime looks (and sounds) pretty bad:

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]