Author Topic: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread  (Read 318335 times)

Beezy

Re: The Bore Anime Thread
« Reply #1380 on: October 28, 2009, 06:34:47 PM »
Shut up, MCD. One show can't make a season good. Unless it's Gurren Lagann.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1381 on: October 28, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »
enjoy your endless gainax fanservice then because that's the best you will be getting out of gurren now.

Beezy

« Reply #1382 on: October 28, 2009, 06:52:20 PM »
Fanservice? I was talking about the original show. Dunno wtf you're going on about.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1383 on: October 28, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »
shitty movie recap? first one sucked and by gainax fanservice i meant as general, they love milking dat tits.

original was great, loved it but for some reason i am not feeling it anymore.

doesn't help that i watched legend of the galactic heroes along with good shows like darker than black after it.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1384 on: October 28, 2009, 06:59:53 PM »
and LOGH made me depressed for a whole month after it ended.

what a great show.

Beezy

« Reply #1385 on: October 28, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »
smh

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1386 on: October 28, 2009, 07:02:20 PM »
beezy, i don't want to stalk you.

don't make me.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1387 on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »
Shut up, MCD. One show can't make a season good. Unless it's Gurren Lagann.

Trapeze makes this season worth it.
dog

Beezy

« Reply #1388 on: October 28, 2009, 08:56:30 PM »
beezy, i don't want to stalk you.

don't make me.
MCD
NOW I'VE LOST IT

:lol

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1389 on: October 28, 2009, 10:13:52 PM »
My local Best Buy had Ghost in the Shell 2.0 early, and for only $13.99. Can't wait to see how much they screwed up one of the best anime movies of all time with Lucas-esque dickery.  :'(
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:22:28 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

« Reply #1390 on: October 28, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
My local Best Buy had Ghost in the Shell 2.0 early, and for only $13.99. Can't wait to see how much they screwed up one of the best anime movies of all time with Lucas-esque dickery.  :'(

Best Buy got it on 10/20, everyone else has to wait until late November.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1391 on: October 28, 2009, 10:21:03 PM »

All they did was drop in a few out-of-place CG scenes that totally clash with the 2D everywhere else. The whole thing comes across as completely pointless considering that they weren't willing to just reanimated the whole thing.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1392 on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »
Oh wait, it looks like an uncredited bonus feature is the original version of the movie  :hyper ....with a completely un-remastered, VHS-looking print and in 1080i. Uh, thanks?  :-\
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1393 on: October 29, 2009, 12:44:19 AM »

All they did was drop in a few out-of-place CG scenes that totally clash with the 2D everywhere else. The whole thing comes across as completely pointless considering that they weren't willing to just reanimated the whole thing.

Yuck...let that movie die already.  Ghost In The Shell wasn't even one of Shirow's best works.  Give me a GOOD animated version of Appleseed or more Dominion Tank Police any day.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1394 on: October 29, 2009, 12:47:45 AM »

Yuck...let that movie die already.  Ghost In The Shell wasn't even one of Shirow's best works.  Give me a GOOD animated version of Appleseed or more Dominion Tank Police any day.

I could use some more Stand Alone Complex.
dog

« Reply #1395 on: October 29, 2009, 12:57:36 AM »

There's talk that more SAC is on the way.

I still want that Solid State Society Blu-ray that Manga announced and then quickly "canceled."
野球

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1396 on: October 29, 2009, 01:12:23 AM »
id love some more motoko
萌え~

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1397 on: October 29, 2009, 01:53:14 AM »

SAC is not even based on Shirow's stuff, I think.  But it doesn't matter; I'm talking strictly the first movie.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1398 on: October 29, 2009, 01:53:30 AM »
I've had the full run of SAC for ages, and never watched it. I've also got the full-CG Appleseed, unwatched. How much am I missing? A lot, or should I just go re-read the Dominion comics?

I love Shirow, but in general I find his comics visually luscious but incomprehensible. The GITS movies were similarly dry and confounding, but not even as visually pleasing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1399 on: October 29, 2009, 02:06:22 AM »
I've had the full run of SAC for ages, and never watched it. I've also got the full-CG Appleseed, unwatched. How much am I missing? A lot, or should I just go re-read the Dominion comics?

I've never watched SAC either!  There's two of those CG Appleseed movies, IIRC.  I tried to watch the first one years ago, but just couldn't get through it.

I love Shirow, but in general I find his comics visually luscious but incomprehensible. The GITS movies were similarly dry and confounding, but not even as visually pleasing.

Same here.  Ghost In The Shell is probably the worst in that regard, maybe followed by Orion (but damn did I love those characters-- Susano is bad-ass).  The original Dominion is still my overall favorite.

ど助平

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #1400 on: October 29, 2009, 02:09:07 AM »

Appleseed was okay. Go in with the Roland Emmerich mentality: no plot lots of action.

Also...
[youtube=560,345]ySkTPNFEAAM[/youtube]

:smug

Beezy

« Reply #1401 on: October 29, 2009, 03:20:03 AM »
 :rofl

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1402 on: October 29, 2009, 10:50:56 AM »
Quote from: chronovore
I've had the full run of SAC for ages, and never watched it.

Quote from: the lyte edge™
I've never watched SAC either!

:wtf

Uh, dudes, go watch it right now. Seriously. Easily in the top three of anime from the past decade.

How much am I missing?

A lot. SAC is pretty easy to follow and focuses a lot more on how technology effects society, rather than on philosophical pondering. Go. Watch it. Right now.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1403 on: October 29, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »
Got both seasons downloaded and the movie, too.  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I got stuff from 10 years ago I still haven't watched yet.   :-\
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1404 on: October 29, 2009, 11:06:35 AM »
Got both seasons downloaded and the movie, too.  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I got stuff from 10 years ago I still haven't watched yet.   :-\

Toss that other junk, lyte, SAC is the real deal.
dog

« Reply #1405 on: October 29, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »

SAC is not even based on Shirow's stuff, I think.  But it doesn't matter; I'm talking strictly the first movie.

A lot of the GitS manga shows up in SAC, but the majority of the series is original.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1406 on: October 29, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »

A lot of the GitS manga shows up in SAC, but the majority of the series is original.

It's the same way with the movies.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1407 on: October 30, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
For people interested in awesome, 80's anime, a subtitled DVD rip of the entire run of Dirty Pair TV [plus the two unaired episodes] has just been released:

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=96029
dog

Beezy

« Reply #1408 on: October 31, 2009, 04:51:17 AM »
Dirty Pair, it's been too long. :heart

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1409 on: October 31, 2009, 01:05:50 PM »
Cool!  There was another group doing this, but its taking them fucking forever...they had four episodes done last time I checked.

The VHS rips that have been floating around are nigh-unwatchable.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1410 on: October 31, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
Cool!  There was another group doing this, but its taking them fucking forever...they had four episodes done last time I checked.

Yeah Live-Evil, they suck. They were subbing Chiko, Daughter of Twenty Faces and it took them about 8 months between the release of Episode 21 and Episode 22, about a year after the show had finished airing. Poop or get off the pot, dudes.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1411 on: October 31, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »

Our friends from Russia came through for us in a big way.

They've also been subbing the original Space Adventure Cobra TV series and it even comes with a Russian DUB!  :o
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1412 on: November 02, 2009, 09:48:27 PM »
Alright, I think we're deep enough into the fall season to make some conclusions as to which series are worth watching.

Armed Librarians: Book of Bantorra - Along with Dark than Black 2 [which I haven't seen since I missed watching the first season] is this season's action show. Some of the animation isn't too great, especially the CG, but it presents an interesting world and the prospect of an intriguing story. Currently my favorite series of the season.

Letter Bee - This season's top fantasy series. The main draw is the world, which is a place that's lit entirely by a small, artificial sun that leaves much of the world in near darkness. The story revolves around Lag Seeing [the names is this series are bizarre] who wants to become a Letter Bee, letter carriers who have passes that let them travel all over the world delivering packages and letters. The art is some of the most striking I've seen and easily the best this season. Overall animation is uneven at times though.

Trapeze - This season's psychedelic drug trip. The story is about a doctor, who appears in three different forms, who helps people with bizarre physical/psychological disorders, mainly by giving them an injection of some kind and then following them through their daily lives. It's trippy, very trippy and often hilarious. Animation is...present.

Blue Literature - This season's non-animu drama. Everything is played straight in this series and there's very little humor. It's kind of a downer through the first story arc, but it's interesting nonetheless. Some very good animation here. Very surreal at times.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - This season's unabashed animu series. It's got fanservice, highschool hijinks, and fast-paced action scenes with a thumping techno soundtrack. Story meanders a lot and is mainly focused on slice of life stuff. Animu haters stay far away.
dog

« Reply #1413 on: November 03, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

:rock
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1414 on: November 03, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »
dog

Beezy

« Reply #1415 on: November 03, 2009, 04:35:35 PM »
 :hyper

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1416 on: November 03, 2009, 11:53:52 PM »
I'm watching this OVA series called Genocyber and, ya know, watching it...kind of makes me want to die. The second episodes had a major plot point that revolved around a group of kids being brutally ripped apart in the most violent manner possible. Now, I know what you're thinking, surely an anime like that much be TOTALLY AWESOME, but everything surrounding that scene is pointlessly dull and pointlessly incomprehensible and all the characters are so one-dimensional and stupid and unlikeable that the bursts of super-violence only make the show even more soul-crushingly depressing. Little wonder it's from Koichi Ohata, the man behind MD Geist.

I've slogged through an hour and half, but there's still an hour left. If I don't post any tomorrow, you guys will know why.  :-\
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #1417 on: November 04, 2009, 12:14:32 AM »

:bow

that looks so good

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1418 on: November 05, 2009, 07:27:37 PM »
Does anyone know about Funimation's blu-ray releases?  I decided to go ahead and try one of their sets (Burst Angel); figured $40 for a complete TV series was worth a shot.  Witchblade just came out a couple of days ago.  I have the DVD set but have yet to watch it.  Figure the jump in quality is probably not worth buying again, since it was never broadcast in HD.

Also I see that Akira is on blu-ray.  Any point in bothering?  Basically, are any of these blu-rays worth it if you have the DVDs already?  Maybe it's the wrong method of thinking, but it seems like it would be easier to clean up the picture and improve the color on animation over live-action...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:29:10 PM by the lyte edge™ »
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1419 on: November 05, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »
Akira looks great on Blu-Ray, but there's no extras, so if that's important you may keep your SE DVD. Don't know about Funimation's series releases, but I heard that Samurai 7 was sketchy.
©@©™

« Reply #1420 on: November 05, 2009, 07:33:46 PM »
I have Fullmetal Panic The Second Raid on Blu-ray, I hear it's an upconvert, but it looks pretty damn good.
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1421 on: November 05, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
I'm waiting for that Samurai Champloo Blu-Ray, it comes out in December.
©@©™

« Reply #1422 on: November 05, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
I'm gonna snag the Fullmetal Alchemist movie Blu-ray next week, and I'll probably pick up their Blu-ray release of East of Eden next year.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1423 on: November 05, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »
This season produce an unexpected gem in the form of a short movie called Cencoroll. It's best described as a grown-up Pokemon with people who control strange alien monsters that had various abilities [one can make itself invisible and another can transform into itself]. Definitely worth watching.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1424 on: November 05, 2009, 07:58:07 PM »
Does anyone know about Funimation's blu-ray releases?  I decided to go ahead and try one of their sets (Burst Angel); figured $40 for a complete TV series was worth a shot.  Witchblade just came out a couple of days ago.  I have the DVD set but have yet to watch it.  Figure the jump in quality is probably not worth buying again, since it was never broadcast in HD.

Also I see that Akira is on blu-ray.  Any point in bothering?  Basically, are any of these blu-rays worth it if you have the DVDs already?  Maybe it's the wrong method of thinking, but it seems like it would be easier to clean up the picture and improve the color on animation over live-action...
I will buy Darker than Black Blu ray box if Funi bring it over here but other than that don't think I will bother, maybe Sengoku Basara and Gurren Lagann if they ever get the Blu ray treatment. 99% of my animu are from the interbutt (that 1% is Gurren Lagann DVD) so I can buy these Blu ray releases with ease since I never bought them on DVDs, as long as they ain't total upscale shite.

and oh, don't buy Full Metal Panic, all the Blu ray screenshots I saw of it are very, very shitty upscales.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:01:21 PM by MCD »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1425 on: November 05, 2009, 08:05:46 PM »
Akira looks great on Blu-Ray, but there's no extras, so if that's important you may keep your SE DVD. Don't know about Funimation's series releases, but I heard that Samurai 7 was sketchy.

But how much better-looking is it than the SE DVD?  I also hate how blu-ray releases have no extras.  I end up not buying them and waiting to see if an SE version hits later.  The first one I ever bought that lacked extras was Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (on vacation in Hawaii; saw it for $14 and figured what the hey), and it's missing all of the massive amount of extra content that comes on a second disc in the DVD version.  WTF is the point?  My blu-ray collection remains pretty tiny, simply because it seems like it's just not worth bothering with replacing the movies I have on DVD.

I'm waiting for that Samurai Champloo Blu-Ray, it comes out in December.

Yeah, I might get that.  The only thing stopping me is that after having watched the series once, I don't have any real urge to go back and watch it again.

I have Fullmetal Panic The Second Raid on Blu-ray, I hear it's an upconvert, but it looks pretty damn good.

and oh, don't buy Full Metal Panic, all the Blu ray screenshots I saw are very, very shitty upscales.

ARGH

I will buy Darker than Black Blu ray box if Funi bring it over here but other than that don't think I will bother, maybe Sengoku Basara and Gurren Lagann if they ever get the Blu ray treatment.

I dunno about Gurren Lagann (DVD picture looks pretty damn good already), but I'd definitely buy Basara on blu-ray.  If series get GOOD blu-ray releases and they are priced reasonably, I will actually buy anime for once.  Those funi sets I was looking at are around $40 on Amazon, but the MSRP is twice that.   :lol ::)
ど助平

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #1426 on: November 05, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »
Cencoroll was aight but it wasn't very standalone. It was more like "STAY TUNED FOR NEXT WEEK!" but we don't when/if there is ever gonna be a next week for it.

DtB on Blu-Ray must look pretty nice.
Boo

« Reply #1427 on: November 05, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
Totally forgot about Sengoku Basara. Funi better put that out on Blu-ray. Never saw DtB, but I love Bones and Yoko Kanno so I'll probably snag it whenver that teased Blu-ray box comes out.
野球

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1428 on: November 05, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
huh, i was searching on google for animu blu ray and i found darker than black blu ray (taken from zero raws of the jspanese bluray box) dual audio and all.

will download and watch it for like the 4th time.

« Reply #1429 on: November 05, 2009, 09:30:34 PM »

Do you have the Freedom Blu-ray boxset? It's absolutely brilliant.
野球

« Reply #1430 on: November 05, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »
In other awesome Blu-ray anime news, Media Blaster is considering a Blu-ray release of 12 Kingdoms (cel animation).

Quote from: Head Dude from Media Blasters
We have released Blu-ray just no anime as of yet. We are looking at 12 Kingdoms as it is HD. Not sure yet but we will do a few anime Blu-rays in 2010 for sure.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1431 on: November 05, 2009, 09:38:53 PM »
Cencoroll was aight but it wasn't very standalone. It was more like "STAY TUNED FOR NEXT WEEK!" but we don't when/if there is ever gonna be a next week for it.

Somebody needs to throw some money at Atsuya Uki so he can make some more anime.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #1432 on: November 07, 2009, 11:44:52 PM »

Looks hot.  Only thing I don't like is the CG transformation when all the rest of the robot stuff is gorgeous 2d. 

Whose doing the music?  It sounded great.

« Reply #1433 on: November 08, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »

Looks hot.  Only thing I don't like is the CG transformation when all the rest of the robot stuff is gorgeous 2d. 

Whose doing the music?  It sounded great.

Hiroyuki Sawano. He's done the music for Sengoku Basara (TV), Soul Link, Zombie Loan and Gigantic Formula.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1434 on: November 08, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »
I'm watching this OVA series called Genocyber and, ya know, watching it...kind of makes me want to die. The second episodes had a major plot point that revolved around a group of kids being brutally ripped apart in the most violent manner possible. Now, I know what you're thinking, surely an anime like that much be TOTALLY AWESOME, but everything surrounding that scene is pointlessly dull and pointlessly incomprehensible and all the characters are so one-dimensional and stupid and unlikeable that the bursts of super-violence only make the show even more soul-crushingly depressing. Little wonder it's from Koichi Ohata, the man behind MD Geist.

I've slogged through an hour and half, but there's still an hour left. If I don't post any tomorrow, you guys will know why.  :-\

Well, it didn't kill me, but it was one of the most horrible shows I've seen before.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1435 on: November 09, 2009, 12:50:12 AM »
If it was from the same guy who made MD Geist, I can only imagine.   :yuck

I remember the days when anime like that was getting pimped FULL FORCE by companies.  So I guess things really have gotten a lot better.

Watched the first episode of Burst Angel Blu-Ray.  Very nice, clean image; I think Funi did a pretty good job on enhancing everything for 1080P. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:51:45 AM by the lyte edge™ »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1436 on: November 09, 2009, 01:03:44 AM »
If it was from the same guy who made MD Geist, I can only imagine.   :yuck

I remember the days when anime like that was getting pimped FULL FORCE by companies.  So I guess things really have gotten a lot better.

Watched the first episode of Burst Angel Blu-Ray.  Very nice, clean image; I think Funi did a pretty good job on enhancing everything for 1080P. 

That's Koichi Ohata as well.  :lol
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1437 on: November 09, 2009, 05:17:54 AM »
I'd be shocked to find out if he was a writer, though.  Ohata directed AND wrote Genocyber.  That's probably why it sucked.  And he created MD Geist.  So I guess he ain't bad when handling other people's stuff.   :lol

Didn't he also direct the much-heralded Char's Counter Attack?  Maybe just the horror/ultraviolence stuff isn't his thing.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:20:55 AM by the lyte edge™ »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1438 on: November 09, 2009, 10:04:09 AM »

Didn't he also direct the much-heralded Char's Counter Attack?  Maybe just the horror/ultraviolence stuff isn't his thing.

No, that was Tomino himself. Ohata did the mechanical designs on it though.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1439 on: November 09, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »
The first episode of Halo Legends came out today, for those that care. It The Babysitter, a portion of which was shown a month or so ago. It was okay, nothing really groundbreaking or incredible, but watchable.
dog