Author Topic: Watchmen trailer  (Read 16338 times)

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:42:18 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
Re: Watchmen trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »
I choose this thread because PD is wilde homo.
wtc

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »
Whats with the shitty emo music. SMH

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:51:57 PM »
I'm going to have to read the graphic novel because I just can't take those costumes seriously

BobbyRobby

• yachtsman
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »
I wouldn't argue that any of the costumes in Watchmen are cool, or iconic, aside from Rorschach's.  The whole idea of Watchmen is that it is a realistic take on superhero stories, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the illustrator's intent with some of the costumes to make them look a little hokey.

edit:  trailer is pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:56:27 PM by BobbyRobby »

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »
YES!!!

They used one of Smashing Pumpkins' songs from Batman and Robin... weird. Works really well, though.

野球

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 02:54:47 PM »
They certainly got the look down.  The trailer doesn't show much aside from the look of the movie, but so far, so good.  Doctor Manhattan looks great.
serge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
omfg :rockhardboner

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 02:55:52 PM »
stfu

:bow smashing pumpkins :bow2

Himu

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »
they fucking nailed it

holy shit
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 02:57:06 PM »
Shit, I am hyped.
serge

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 02:57:26 PM »
Doctor Manhattan does look good.  I'm glad they kept him naked instead of giving him some weird thong.

I think I saw a thong in the Vietnam scene.
nat

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
Doctor Manhattan does look good.  I'm glad they kept him naked instead of giving him some weird thong.

He had a thong on during the Vietnam scene.

edit: Beaten!
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »
Man, I might have to eat some crow on this one.  I've been bad mouthing this pretty consistently and it now looks to be not only watchable but potentially good.  Which, considering the director, is pretty amazing.
yar

TVC15

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 02:59:45 PM »
I'm willing to accept that.  I'm all for nudity in movies, but having a naked blue man on screen for 2 hours wouldn't sit well in the US.

I forget, is The Black Freighter in or out?

I hate getting hyped for this, because I know it's unavoidable that so much will get cut out and I'll end up being disappointed.
serge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 03:01:14 PM »
I'm willing to accept that.  I'm all for nudity in movies, but having a naked blue man on screen for 2 hours wouldn't sit well in the US.

I hate getting hyped for this, because I know it's unavoidable that so much will get cut out and I'll end up being disappointed.

Can't remember if Black Freighter is in or out.

And I still maintain that the best way to do the original material justice would have been an HBO miniseries thing.
yar

BobbyRobby

• yachtsman
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 03:01:46 PM »
I'm willing to accept that.  I'm all for nudity in movies, but having a naked blue man on screen for 2 hours wouldn't sit well in the US.

Black Freighter is in extended cut for DVD I think.

edit - found it,

Zack Snyder, director of the upcoming comic book-to-film adaption, “Watchmen”, has announced a direct-to-DVD animated release of “Tales of the Black Freighter”. The DVD is set to hit stores five days after the March 6, 2009 theatrical release of “Watchmen”. “Tales of the Black Freighter” will also include a documentary-style film called “Under the Hood” which explores deeper into each of the characters’ backstories.

“Watchmen” is then scheduled for a DVD release four months later, along with an extended edition which will interweave the “Black Freighter” animated feature into the theatrical “Watchmen” cut. 22- to 26-minute webisodes called “The Watchmen Motion Comic” are also planned to be included with the release.

source: http://angryweb.wordpress.com/2008/05/26/watchmen-tales-of-the-black-freighter-dvd-to-be-released-separately/
kind of lame, but better than nothing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:04:13 PM by BobbyRobby »

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »
Never really heard about the comic, but those costumes are like B-movie quality, specifically the batman rip-off.
i

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 03:17:43 PM »
Never really heard about the comic, but those costumes are like B-movie quality, specifically the batman rip-off.
they're supposed to be cheap looking.  smh

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 03:18:09 PM »
wtc

TVC15

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 03:19:12 PM »

The designs are supposed to be reminiscent of old school superhero costumes.
serge

cool breeze

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »
Looks good.

TVC15

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »
From Wiki:

Tales of the Black Freighter, a comic within the Watchmen comic, will be adapted as a direct-to-video animated feature, which will be released on March 11, 2009.[74] It was originally included in the script,[61] but was cut due to budget restrictions,[60] because the segment would have added $20 million to the budget, as Snyder wanted to film it in a stylized manner reminiscent of 300.[74] Snyder considered including the animated film in the final cut,[10] but the film was already approaching a three hour running time.[74] Gerard Butler, who starred in 300, voices the Captain in the film, having been promised a role in the film, which never materialized.[75]

The Tales of the Black Freighter DVD will also include Under the Hood, a documentary detailing the characters' backstories, which takes its cue from Hollis Mason's memoirs in the novel. The film will be released on DVD four months later, and Warner Bros. is also considering releasing an extended edition, with the animated film edited back into the main picture. In addition, a dozen short films (each around twenty minutes in length) will be released on the internet, using narration over the panels of the comic strip to familiarize newcomers to the story. These may also be released on DVD.

It's pretty cool--he's trying to get as much content out there as possible.
I also liked this:

The first cut was three hours long. In keeping the film tight, Snyder dubbed himself "the gatekeeper" of the comic's easter eggs, "while [the studio] conspire to say, 'No. Length, length, length. Playability.' [...] I've lost perspective on that now, because to me, the honest truth is I geek out on little stuff now as much as anybody. Like, people will go, 'We've got to cut. You don't need that shot of Hollis Mason's garage sign.' And I'm like, 'What are you talking about? Of course you do. Are you crazy? How will people enjoy the movie without shit like that in it?' So it's hard for me."

It sounds like he's more trying to appease fans than the unwashed, dumb masses.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:28:27 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

I'm worried about folks who bypassed the graphic novel will dismiss the movie for that reason. I'm gonna show some non-comic reading friends to see what they say. For myself, it looks better than I expected.

Also, if I remember correctly, the "batman rip-off" look was very intentional.
fek

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 03:33:47 PM »
Doctor Manhattan does look good.  I'm glad they kept him naked instead of giving him some weird thong.

He had a thong on during the Vietnam scene.

edit: Beaten!

this is in canon tho; he has a thong at that point of the book. he reduces his costume as the years pass as he feels more and more disconnected from humanity.

smh @ so called Watchmen "fans"
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
trailer looks AWESOME btw
乱学者

patrickula

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
SHIT WHERE DID IT GO

I didn't see it  :'(

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »
wow apparently I saw it just in time

thanks for the heads up, Cohen 8)
乱学者

TVC15

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »
no problem.  i'm guessing it's a comiccon trailer that leaked early.

According to Wiki, the teaser is being shown before The Dark Knight.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 03:47:51 PM »
ahhh ic.

fuck now I have to see batman in theatres.

Maybe you should wait until some unfortunate soul can confirm the info as true.  Don't want you to have to sit through Batman for this if it's not going to be there.
serge

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
I'm worried because our free screenings usually don't have trailers. but if they skip the Watchmen trailer OUR COMPANY WILL RIOT
乱学者

TVC15

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 03:50:27 PM »
This is true.  I wasn't planning on going this weekend, since the thought of being surrounded a million Manabytes is a little nauseating.

But Manabyte will always be with us now.  In our hearts.

I'm worried because our free screenings usually don't have trailers. but if they skip the Watchmen trailer OUR COMPANY WILL RIOT

The WB screenings I get to go to usually have trailers.  Unfortunately, I think their screening for TDK is like a week after release.
serge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 03:53:56 PM »
I plan on catching a screening of Batman tomorrow morning- local theater starts showing it at 9 AM for some reason.  I figure the earlier I go the emptier the theater will be, so I'll let you sluts know what the deal is.  I also don't mind saying that I'm excited to see TDK because I reserve my petty bitching to Nintendo and actual terrible movies like, you know, Speed Racer.
yar

TVC15

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »
I plan on catching a screening of Batman tomorrow morning- local theater starts showing it at 9 AM for some reason.  I figure the earlier I go the emptier the theater will be, so I'll let you sluts know what the deal is.  I also don't mind saying that I'm excited to see TDK because I reserve my petty bitching to Nintendo and actual terrible movies like, you know, Speed Racer.

I'll be honest, Triumph, when I do see it.  The fact is, I saw the first movie, felt it was a 7/10, and then come home to find out that it's been deemed the second coming by everyone on the internet (and not just on GAF).  Congrats, Nolan, you made a decent Batman movie, but it was by no measure great.
serge

patrickula

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
Youtube pulls through again :bow2
I'm not sure about Dr. Manhattan glowing that much, though I'm not sure how he can even look very natural (and is he isn't supposed to anyway).
It was mostly this shot that didn't work for me:

He looks like something airbrushed on the side of a van  :-\

Anyway, there were definitely a lot of things that I liked in the trailer.  The costumes still don't seem right, but aside from that and airbrushed Manhattan I definitely dug what I saw.  So many great shots I recognize from panels  :)
When's this moving coming out, next March?  Too long to be hyped, what is this, a videogame!
(oh snap could there be a watchmen tie-in game?  yikes  :-X)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unless it's a sidescrolling beat-em-up! :punch
[close]

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
I hope they don't down play the whole "Killing vietnamese made you a american hero" plot.
USA

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 04:04:39 PM »
I'll be honest, Triumph, when I do see it.  The fact is, I saw the first movie, felt it was a 7/10, and then come home to find out that it's been deemed the second coming by everyone on the internet (and not just on GAF).  Congrats, Nolan, you made a decent Batman movie, but it was by no measure great.
:lol

I love hearing Batman Begins hate.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »
youtube'd in the OP
nat

TVC15

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 04:06:51 PM »
:lol

I love hearing Batman Begins hate.

I think I've mentioned Cohen's sentiment in the past.  Batman Begins fans are so insecure about their movie being "great" that it makes them incredibly easy and amusing targets to troll.
serge

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 04:15:05 PM »
Wow, the trailer nailed the book perfectly. Rorschach's voice is just how I imagined it to be. Did anyone get a glimpse of Ozymandias? There was some skinny looking dude that I couldn't quite make out, but I know that Ozy is supposed to have perfect physique  :-*
jon

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »
The movie is good, not great.  The over-dramatic serious tone ruined it.  It's been removed from The Dark Knight.  Even the darker moments have humor in it.  It really is the best Batman movie and probably the best movie of the year (so far at least).  It's great.  Now get the fuck out of here with Batman!  This thread is about :bow Watchmen :bow2

TVC15

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »
The movie is good, not great.  The over-dramatic serious tone ruined it.  It's been removed from The Dark Knight.  Even the darker moments have humor in it.  It really is the best Batman movie and probably the best movie of the year (so far at least).  It's great.  Now get the fuck out of here with Batman!  This thread is about :bow Watchmen :bow2

It's not even the best movie out this week, dude.
serge

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2008, 04:23:52 PM »
good stuff
萌え~

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2008, 04:24:57 PM »
Oh wow, that looked amazing. Can't wait. :bow2
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »

Ok, it's the best movie of the year so far for straight guys.

Costanza

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
looks fucking great. i'm hyped.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2008, 04:29:42 PM »

Ok, it's the best movie of the year so far for straight guys.
[youtube=425,350]4ohr4P8E_io[/youtube]
smh... smh.  :(

drohne

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2008, 04:30:32 PM »
except for the color palette, which is totally nu-skool action movie and totally un-watchmen, this looks pretty great. i liked that glimpse of the dr. manhattan on mars stuff -- and actually that seems like the kind of thing that a hollywood adaptation would drop

TVC15

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »

does mamma mia have Fernando in it?  because if so you're spot on.
"I Have a Dream" – Sophie
"Honey, Honey" – Sophie
"Money, Money, Money" – Donna, Tanya, and Rosie
"Mamma Mia" – Donna
"Chiquitita" - Tanya and Rosie
"Dancing Queen" – Donna, Tanya, and Rosie
"Our Last Summer" – Sophie, Sam, Harry, and Bill
"Lay All Your Love on Me" – Sky and Sophie
"Super Trouper" – Donna, Tanya, and Rosie
"Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" - Sophie, Ali, and Lisa
"The Name of the Game" – Sophie and Bill
"Voulez-Vous" – Cast
"SOS" – Sam and Donna
"Does Your Mother Know" – Tanya and Pepper
"Slipping Through My Fingers" – Donna and Sophie
"The Winner Takes It All" – Donna
"I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do" - Cast
"When All is Said and Done" – Sam and Company
"Take a Chance on Me" – Rosie and Bill
"Mamma Mia" – Cast
"I Have a Dream" – Sophie
"Waterloo" – Cast
"Dancing Queen" – Donna, Tanya and Rosie (over the closing credits)
"Thank You for the Music" - Sophie (over the closing credits)

No Fernando.  Knowing Me Knowing You is also a notable ommision, but we do get Take A Chance on Me, which is my favorite ABBA song.  Actually, Lay All Your Love on Me is boner-inducing, too.
serge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
 :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2008, 04:39:57 PM »
downloadable flv in the op!
nat

Narag

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2008, 04:43:08 PM »
Thanks!
DMC

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »
wow.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2008, 05:59:16 PM »
if i didn't own Absolute Watchmen already, I'd have bought it just after seeing that.

Tonya

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2008, 06:03:58 PM »
if i didn't own Absolute Watchmen already, I'd have bought it just after seeing that.

I want to buy it, but it's not available anywhere. :(
AMC

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »

I want to buy it, but it's not available anywhere. :(

oh, another book suggestion for you since you liked Forever War.  Check out Old Man's War by  John Scalzi. 

The Drill Sergeant character absolutely rules.
Tonya

TVC15

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2008, 06:34:49 PM »

I actually just went and bought it.  And 2 volumes of Essential Doctor Strange.
serge

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2008, 06:36:43 PM »
the only essential books i bought were Dazzler and the first two Daredevils

i should get the Tomb of Dracula ones and also i'd like some of the X-Men ones simply for filthy nostalgia purposes
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2008, 06:39:48 PM »
i still think

the ozymandias master plan
[close]

was kind of a weak plot device in the comics, and i wonder if that's going to come off as silly on film
sup

TVC15

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »
the only essential books i bought were Dazzler and the first two Daredevils

i should get the Tomb of Dracula ones and also i'd like some of the X-Men ones simply for filthy nostalgia purposes

I dig the Essential books.  They're cheap!  I was curious about the Tomb of Dracula ones.  I don't know the comic.  Any good?

i still think

the ozymandias master plan
[close]

was kind of a weak plot device in the comics, and i wonder if that's going to come off as silly on film

Haha, I was trying to think of what I would be okay with them cutting out for the movie, and this was what I was thinking.
serge