Author Topic: BREAKING MUST CREDIT APF: MCCAIN AD REALLY SAYING OBAMA IS ANTICHRIST  (Read 17012 times)

APF

Distinguished effete gentlemen, this is perhaps the most important post you will ever read in your lives:

Quote from: some douche
For many this ad will appear to be a joke, a silly campaign tactic, and little more than a distraction.  But this ad was not done by some campaign volunteer with a bit of editing experience for (as McCain suggests) his supporters amusement. This was a professionally cut, edited, and produced ad full of sinister dog-whistles for evangelical ears.

At best it is suggesting supporters of Obama are idol-worshipers. At its worst it is suggesting that Sen. Obama is some kind of anti-Christ.

The McCain campaign is unquestionably targeting the 44 million+ Americans who have read the Left Behind series.  The makers of the ad chose all of Obama’s quotes very carefully and filled it with image after image equating Senator Obama to the anti-Christ, and especially to Nicolae Carpathia, the anti-Christ in the popular end times novels.

This is where religion and politics goes bad.  We've seen this game before in history - suggest your opposition is the anti-Christ.  Sadly I never thought I'd see it from the nominee of one of America's main political parties.  The ad plays on fears well beyond the economy, terror, or war - it plays on what are foundational scriptural fears for many people, the very end of the world.  That ad is flat-out dangerous, irresponsible, and heartless.

The title or the ad is set up to immediately remind anyone familiar with the Left Behind series of the name of the false church set up by the anti-Christ - "THE ONE World Religion."

The text and voice over are exact copies of previews for Christian Specific end-times movies.

The images and quotes the McCain camp employed all allude to symbols of the anti-Christ.  If the McCain campaign were simply cutting an ad about Obama being an idol that would be offensive enough; however, there are just too many parts of this ad which make no sense, for a professional production, unless they were trying to suggest Obama is the anti-Christ.

So you know we are not just talking about John Hagee end-times believers here.  This is an ingrained fear for many Americans

http://onemillionstrong.us/showDiary.do?diaryId=1353

Clearly the McCain campaign has gone too far.  First saying Obama is some sort of sex crazed sex animal out to sex our precious sexy white daughters--then saying he's the antichrist himself, whose malevolent rise signals The End Times. 

Will they stop at nothing???

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: BREAKING MUST CREDIT APF: MCCAIN AD REALLY SAYING OBAMA IS ANTICHRIST
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:21:42 PM »
can someone please explain how the Paris/Britney ad is "racist." God I'm tired of this shit; it's not comparable to the Ford ad.

APF

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »
Gentlemen, the code words are there in plain sight for the entire world to see!

READ THE MCCAIN CODE

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:23:24 PM »
This'll be the next McCain vid where they'll superimpose Obama in the video:

[youtube=425,350]8P6CjkOvUPE[/youtube]
:)

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:24:24 PM »
For some reason, this reminds me of when KPML(r) members (all 10 of them) staged a protest against The Lion King. Sort of.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »
I suppose the ad will cause concern among some fundamentalists but I'd imagine most of those people realize the anti-christ will not be of North American descent (if you believe in that stuff - Indiana Jones disclaimer)

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »
honestly, when I saw that video, the first thing I thought was "this is to convince Southern white voters that Obama is the Anti-Christ"

I've read Left Behind, I know my coded phrases

[youtube=425,350]Id1IKJGVkvg[/youtube]
乱学者

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »
I think the best argument to level against McCain's ads is that they are entirely not about any fucking issue that is relevant to the current condition the united states is in.

If you can't win on the issues, go the fuck home please.
o_0

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »
where am ad

posted above

I don't think it's overreaching to say McCain is intentionally painting Obama as jolly ol AC
乱学者

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
oh my god that ad :rofl
fat

Tauntaun

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
I think the best argument to level against McCain's ads is that they are entirely not about any fucking issue that is relevant to the current condition the united states is in.

If you can't win on the issues, go the fuck home please.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »
not to mention that the AC won't even appear until the tribulation starts, which won't be a problem for christians considering they won't be on earth (if you believe that sort of thing - Indiana Jones disclaimer)

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »
does this mean that obama will torture and persecute christians?

if so, I need to donate. that's change I can beleive in.
hex

APF

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »
Really, what's more convincing: the argument that this is a throwaway ad using iconography every American will immediately associate with unearned attention, or the argument this is a calculated message to a small subset of likely Republican voters depicting a black rapist who will literally end the world per Biblical prophesy?

[lol, this isn't the Paris / Spears ad whoops]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:38:58 PM by APF »

Tauntaun

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »

You would see Tauntaun tortured?  :(

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 01:37:59 PM »
Really, what's more convincing: the argument that this is a throwaway ad using iconography every American will immediately associate with unearned attention, or the argument this is a calculated message to a small subset of likely Republican voters depicting a black rapist who will literally end the world per Biblical prophesy?

dude, the ad refers to him as "the one" and "blessed" and has stock footage of Charlton Heston parting the Red Sea. a Biblical connection is hardly a stretch
乱学者

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
What the...what the fuck?

The media is going to be all over this shit.
püp

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 01:39:59 PM »
the link in the OP does a great job of outlining all the imagery and coded phrases ("anointed," "we are the ones we have been waiting for," "the world shall know him as," etc. etc.)
乱学者

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »
I suppose the ad will cause concern among some fundamentalists but I'd imagine most of those people realize the anti-christ will not be of North American descent (if you believe in that stuff - Indiana Jones disclaimer)
not to mention that the AC won't even appear until the tribulation starts, which won't be a problem for christians considering they won't be on earth (if you believe that sort of thing - Indiana Jones disclaimer)

You're assuming that most fundamentalists don't jump on anything that vaguely resembles the end times.
wtc

APF

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 01:40:46 PM »
dude, the ad refers to him as "the one" and "blessed" and has stock footage of Charlton Heston parting the Red Sea. a Biblical connection is hardly a stretch

No, I totally agree that the point of this ad was to show Obama is literally the antichrist and it's your religious duty to vote against him, I mean that's completely obvious and not at all a histrionic interpretation of a gag ad.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 01:41:15 PM »
You're assuming that most fundamentalists don't jump on anything that vaguely resembles the end times.

to my understanding, they long for it because it would bring them to heaven
Tonya

APF

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 01:43:02 PM »
Seriously, religious people are scary.  I wet myself whenever I hear a bell ringing because who knows what those delusional crazy folks are signaling with those things?

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 01:44:47 PM »

You would see Tauntaun tortured?  :(

I have realllly nasty side that I don't show often. I'm a real mean motherfucker, sadly.

as for the ad, there's no doubt that they are going for the antichrist undercurrent in that ad. The codewording is both very specific and the imagery is also very deliberate.
hex

Crushed

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:10 PM »
Seriously, religious people are scary.  I wet myself whenever I hear a bell ringing because who knows what those delusional crazy folks are signaling with those things?

Usually the time of day, or that church is starting or ending.
wtc

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »

Church Bells Sketch
H = Husband [Graham Chapman]

W = Wife [Terry Jones]

[Church Bells in the background]

H: I wish those bloody bells would stop!

W: Oh, it's quite nice, dear. It's Sunday - it's the church.

H: What about us atheist ! Why should we have to listen to that sectarian turmoil...

W: You're a lapsed atheist, dear.

H: The principle's the same !... Bleedin' C of E. The Muhamedens don't come around here waving bells at us !. We don't get Budhist playing bagpipes in our bathroom. Or Hindus harmonizing in the halls. The Shintuist don't come here shattering sheet glass in the shithouse and shouting slogans!

W: Alright !.. Don't go practicing your illiteration on me!

H: Anyway... When I get my membership card and blazers badge back from the league of agnostics, I will urge the executive to lodge a protest against that religious racket!... Pass the butter knife.

W: What ??

H: PASS THE BUTTER KNIFE!.. Thank you! If only we had some kind of missile...

W: Hang on, I'll close the window.

[closes window - bells sounding a little less loud]

H: If only we had some kind of missile, we could take the steam out of those bells!

W: Well, you could always use the No. 14 To St-Joseph The Somewhat Divine On the Hill balistic missile. It's in the attic...

H: What ballistic missile would this be, then?

W: I made it for you - it's your birthday present!

H: Just what I wanted ! How nice of you to remember, my pet... Here!

W: What?

H: Those bells are getting louder!

W: What?!

H: THOSE BELLS ARE GETTING LOUDER!

W: The bells are getting louder! Oh, look!

H: What?

W: The church ! It's getting closer !! It's comming down the hill!

H: WHAT A LIBERTY!

W: It's turning into Homes lane!

H: Straight through the lights, of course!

W: Typical! Well, you better go and put it out of it's misery!

[bells gaining in intensity with every passing second]

H: Where's this missile, then?

W: It's in the ironing cupboard !!... Press the button marked "Church"!

H: How do I aim it?

W: Ohh, it automatically home's in on the nearest place of worship!

H: That's St-Marc's!

W: It isn't now ! Look !!... Oh ! It's opening the gate!

H: WHAT ??... USE THE MEGAPHONE!

W: IT'S OPENING THE GATE!

H: I'LL POP UP TO THE IRONING CUPBOARD!

W: HURRY UP !! IT'S TRAMPLING THE BEGONIAS!

[sounds of balistic missile lauching]

[explosion, crashing of church walls & bells slipping into silence]

H: ...Did I hit it?

W: Yes, right up the aisles...

H: Well, I've always said: there's nothing an agnostic can't do if he really doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not!
Tonya

APF

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »

Usually the time of day, or that church is starting or ending.

Or the WORLD!!  How do you know that's not going to be how they start (or END) their crusades??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Invading Iraq, saying Obama is a Muslim... how can you sit back and watch all this??

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »
Why didn't they just shop some goat horns on him too ffs. ::)
©ZH

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »

No, I totally agree that the point of this ad was to show Obama is literally the antichrist and it's your religious duty to vote against him, I mean that's completely obvious and not at all a histrionic interpretation of a gag ad.

I know you're being sarcastic, but that was the point of the ad!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:52:06 PM by Synthesizer Patel »
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
Why didn't they just shop some goat horns on him too ffs. ::)

don't be silly

he's not jewish
Tonya

Crushed

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 01:49:21 PM »
a "gag ad"

is that like fakeposting but for political candidates

" 's cool guys, i was j/k"
wtc

APF

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 01:49:31 PM »
OMG THINK ABOUT THIS, BECAUSE THIS IS HOW IT ALL ENDS:

Depending on the poll / survey in question, something like 95% of African Americans believe in God.  If this ad convinces them Obama is the antichrist, THE ELECTION IS LOST, AS IS THE VERY SOUL OF AMERICA ITSELF!  This is very serious!

APF

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 01:50:23 PM »
Only Karl Rove (ie the REAL Satan) could convince AA to vote against Obama.  This is DISGUSTING

Crushed

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »
apf are you... like, going somewhere with all this
wtc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »

The end time prophesy sect is a money making machine but I don't think they play a huge role in fundamental evangelical denominations. There's always talk of who the AC is in politics but it rarely effects elections: think Carter and Clinton. From my understanding a good deal of fundamentalists are pre-trib (they think the rapture will occur before the tribulation occurs) so if anything they'd welcome any sign of the beginning of end times as a one way ticket to heaven

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 01:51:43 PM »
I remember when this was the top Google result for Obama Antichrist.  Now it's not even top 20.

Though yikes, the comments just kept coming.  You might not want to make your browser load the whole thing.

duckman2000

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 01:51:58 PM »
I don't think this would be very effective, certainly nowhere near as effective as painting Obama as an atheist (or Muslim). Anti-Christ, that's in the bible. That's something the bible nutters can relate to. An atheist, and a black one no less, that must be akin to a full on alien invasion for these people. And a black alien with a sympathy for Islam, that'd be validation of all sorts of conspiracy theories within the bible hugging circle.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:54:04 PM by duckman2000 »

APF

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »
I think it's just an internet ad

Tristam

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
Every single American will correctly interpret this as a gag ad; there is no doubt that McCain's campaign is aware that every single American will correctly interpret this as a gag ad.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »
McCain did it all for the lulz
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 01:53:38 PM »
I don't think this would be very effective, certainly nowhere near as effective as painting Obama as an atheist (or Muslim). Anti-Christ, that's in the bible. That's something the bible nutters can relate to. An atheist, and a black one no less, that must be akin to a full on alien invasion for these people. And a black alien with a Muslim tint, that'd be validation of all sorts of conspiracy theories within the bible hugging circle.

After all what's more dangerous than an Atheist Muslim!

APF

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »
I think it's just an internet ad

Nah, I definitely saw it on TV last weekend. 

lol maybe not.

Crushed

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »
So the McCain campaign spends its time making professional television advertisements depicting Obama with Anti-Christ overtones.

As "gags."
wtc

duckman2000

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 01:56:40 PM »
I don't think this would be very effective, certainly nowhere near as effective as painting Obama as an atheist (or Muslim). Anti-Christ, that's in the bible. That's something the bible nutters can relate to. An atheist, and a black one no less, that must be akin to a full on alien invasion for these people. And a black alien with a Muslim tint, that'd be validation of all sorts of conspiracy theories within the bible hugging circle.

After all what's more dangerous than an Atheist Muslim!

Being married into a very religious, very conservative family, I hear this stuff all the time, including (but certainly not limited to) talk about how this atheist Muslim will stir up a race war, and of course lead the charge himself. At this point, I honestly think an Anti-Christ angle would be beneficial to Obama, at least with these people.

APF

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 01:57:46 PM »
Is it possible that this ad reveals the REAL antichrist is McCain himself??  Think about it: the false miracles, like the SURGE; his desperate trying to SMEAR someone who is in all truth the real MESSIAH for both America and the WORLD??

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »

Same place he goes with everything- round and round in circles, trying to make you dizzy.
yar

duckman2000

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »
Is it possible that this ad reveals the REAL antichrist is McCain himself??  Think about it: the false miracles, like the SURGE; his desperate trying to SMEAR someone who is in all truth the real MESSIAH for both America and the WORLD??

Well, he did get plenty of hellfire and brimstone practice in during those air-to-ground napalm raids.

Crushed

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »

Same place he goes with everything- round and round in circles, trying to make you dizzy.

yup seems so
wtc

APF

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »
At this point I'm just loling at how many of you are batshit insane enough to buy the antichrist argument.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was proving he didn't exist.
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 02:01:55 PM »
At this point I'm just loling at how many of you are batshit insane enough to buy the antichrist argument.

You know, for someone who was offered a job at Faux News, I'm not really sure if you're the person to go to for matters of subtext, whether it be gay or Republican.  Or gay Republican.
yar

Tristam

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2008, 02:02:41 PM »

I don't think you realized the point of my sarcasm: there are voters who are batshit insane enough to buy the antichrist argument. It's not as though they were ever going to vote for Obama anyway though.

duckman2000

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2008, 02:02:51 PM »
At this point I'm just loling

I doubt that. I bet you're all fury and onion farts right now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:04:33 PM by duckman2000 »

Crushed

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »

I don't think you realized the point of my sarcasm: there are voters who are batshit insane enough to buy the antichrist argument. It's not as though they were ever going to vote for Obama anyway though.

No, you don't understand.

APF actually doesn't seem to believe that this ad has anything to do with the Anti-Christ at all.
wtc

APF

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2008, 02:07:09 PM »

Then why make this ad?  --the only reason for which would be to remind them why they're not voting for him?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2008, 02:07:22 PM »

Exactly. If anything stupid ads like this could convince them to hold their nose and vote for McCain instead of staying home watching Mike Huckabee on FOX (God's Candidate 2012!). I just don't think these people are going to tip the election either way.

APF

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2008, 02:07:37 PM »
Crushed: it doesn't.  You are insane.

APF

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2008, 02:08:49 PM »
It's like, why would you make an ad saying, "this guy is black; he could steal your DAUGHTERS?"  Because people forget he's black?

Crushed

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2008, 02:08:59 PM »
Crushed: it doesn't.  You are insane.

Yes all those clearly religious symbols and words used in the ad mean nothing, it's all just a gag for the internet!
wtc

APF

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »
Oh, you mean the words Obama used?

Crushed

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »
did you watch the ad dude

please be honest
wtc