Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4180029 times)

king of the internet

• 🚽
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #21900 on: February 01, 2015, 12:13:30 AM »
I've been torrenting a bunch of the big movies of 2014 and 2013 that I missed the first time around. The best of the bunch so far has been Whiplash. Amazing acting (both the lead and Simmons) and direction. I won't spoil it but the final scene got me pumped the fuck up. I put it off for awhile since the premise didn't sound appealing but it was totally worth it. Watch it if you haven't.

Nightcrawler and Inside Llewyn Davis downloading right now. :aah

« Reply #21901 on: February 01, 2015, 01:27:56 AM »
Saw The Imitation Game tonight. Good film, Cumberbatch and the kid who played the younger Turing were both stellar.
野球

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #21902 on: February 01, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
Liking Nightcrawler so far, but man, I just had to pause it to come and say that Rene Russo has that "reanimated dead" look that Amy Poehler is sporting on Parks and Recs this season. These creatures have phylacteries somewhere. They have this look where they're almost-but-not-quite-real-human look going on.
serge

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #21903 on: February 01, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »
Jake is so dreamy in it <3
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21904 on: February 01, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
I’m still sick with a cold, which has meant waking up coughing at 4AM for the last two days, with no brain presence at all. Accordingly, I am marathoning movies.

Continuing with Aliens Director’s Cut, it saddens me that these scenes were not in the original theatrical release. They are, all of them, in perfect service to not only the story but the use of callback in reference to the original Alien. This is my favorite Cameron film, and the Director’s Cut is the best version of this film.

I also watched Alien 3, and was STUNNED to see how much better a film the Special Edition is over the theatrical cut, or as I like to call it, “Train Wreck Edition.”  Over 50 minutes of additional footage contained:
spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Extensive opening sequence  on the exterior of the prison/mining colony.
  • Much more emphasis on the religious component of Fury’s remainder population, which emphasizes some very intriguing elements which were half-heartedly fumbled in the theatrical cut
  • Golic, the inappropriate comic relief due to his very real insanity, becomes a secondary villain of sorts
  • Shots explaining why Weyland/Yutani are aware of Ripley’s condition and en route
  • Plans to trap the xenomorph, while exceedingly dangerous, seem to make sense
  • No Queen Chestburster confusing the final scene
[close]
The extras on it also include 3 hours of extra material, the first half of which I’ve watched now, and it’s basically a thorough look at just how crippled the entire filmmaking process was for it, from pre-pro to final theatrical editing. It has interviews with every producer and director who worked on the film except Fincher, who has “disowned” it.

If you like Alien as a franchise, and haven’t seen it, give it a whirl.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #21905 on: February 03, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/3/7972051/star-wars-felicity-jones

SW movie gets female lead, and Whitta is replaced as writer.
:rejoice

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21906 on: February 03, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »
dog

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #21907 on: February 03, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
good.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21908 on: February 04, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »
https://vimeo.com/117335917

idk where else to post this but still felt like sharing 

:yeshrug

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #21909 on: February 04, 2015, 10:30:40 PM »
I need to pick a movie for V-day. Whiplash or Birdman?

Luckily my wife is going with a co-worker to see 50 Shades of Grey. Dodged that bullet.

« Reply #21910 on: February 04, 2015, 10:47:52 PM »
My wife has no interest in 50 Shades. No bullet to dodge.
野球

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #21911 on: February 04, 2015, 11:42:41 PM »
Watched Interstellar. Wasn't bad.

Time to introduce my youngest to Star Wars. We've watched Ep I and Ep 2.

Forgot how downright awful Ep2 was. It makes Ep I look good by comparison.
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21912 on: February 05, 2015, 09:23:49 AM »
Attack of the Clones would probably have been not that bad if they'd just totally axed any scene that featured just Anakin and Padme. And C3P0's puns.

Oh, and there was how Obiwan's detective quest ended up being entirely pointless since Yoda shows up at the end and is like "Yeah, we got a clone army now, I guess."

Yeah, it was pretty terrible, wasn't it?
dog

G The Resurrected

« Reply #21913 on: February 05, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »

I'm secure enough to admit that I totally want to watch these dudes dance across the screen again.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #21914 on: February 05, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
I need to pick a movie for V-day. Whiplash or Birdman?

Luckily my wife is going with a co-worker to see 50 Shades of Grey. Dodged that bullet.

I don't know, if my wife would rather spend Valentine's Day watching an erotic movie with a co-worker than spend it with me I'd be pretty  :goty2
WDW

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #21915 on: February 05, 2015, 01:32:16 PM »
Pretty sure he means she will have already seen in by valentines day (or has plans to see it after)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #21916 on: February 05, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
Yea, she's going on Friday night with her assistant and then we're going out on Saturday night.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #21917 on: February 05, 2015, 06:33:29 PM »
Wild Card is shit, and no Safe.
:{]

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #21918 on: February 05, 2015, 10:52:29 PM »

You didn't go for the original trilogy first?
dur

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #21919 on: February 06, 2015, 02:49:50 AM »
The Descent

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21920 on: February 06, 2015, 04:44:40 AM »

Attack of the Clones would probably have been not that bad if they'd just totally axed any scene that featured just Anakin and Padme. And C3P0's puns.

Oh, and there was how Obiwan's detective quest ended up being entirely pointless since Yoda shows up at the end and is like "Yeah, we got a clone army now, I guess."

Yeah, it was pretty terrible, wasn't it?

The “detective” story being undermined by that was really pretty amazing. WHAT WAS THE POINT? And GL can blame no-one, as he’s the writer, director, and doesn’t answer to a studio for sheeeeeeeit at that stage of his career. It’s on him.

My son liked Ep. 1, barely hung on through 2, and left the room to do something else during one of Ep. 3’s many lengthy talky-explaino sequences, and didn’t come back.

See if you can’t find The Phantom Edit around; I hear it trims a bunch of stuff.

It’s all so bad, I just don’t understand how people are getting worried about Disney taking this over. There’s just no fucking way it’s going to be worse than the Prequels.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #21921 on: February 06, 2015, 10:20:19 AM »
My only complaint about a The Descent is that I feel like the creature design could have been much better. It kind of looked generic, like something you'd see in a YouTube screen cap of some dumb modern horror movie trailer you'll never click. The plot, pacing, etc was all dope though. And when the shit hits the fan...oh boy it's on.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #21922 on: February 06, 2015, 10:39:59 PM »

Furious Seven, where the plot points are made up and the laws of physics don't matter, that's right, the laws of physics are like mere suggestions at this point.

The red car seen flying between skyscrapers is a Lykan Motors HyperSport, fwiw.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #21923 on: February 07, 2015, 01:17:23 AM »

I was ok with it till it got to the possessed little girl.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21924 on: February 07, 2015, 01:04:17 PM »
Jupiter Ascending made $6.3 million on Friday, probably won't break $20 through the weekend. :dayum

I don't know how the Wachowski's got the money they did to make this one, but I doubt they'll ever get that much again.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21925 on: February 07, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »
Can't wait till a new half assed Matrix movie is made.

Directed by Brett Ratner, screenplay by Gary Whitta.
©@©™

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #21926 on: February 07, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
Can't wait till a new half assed Matrix movie is made.
It really seems like The Matrix was a flash-in-the-pan thing, no?

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #21927 on: February 07, 2015, 04:45:57 PM »
I think more likely The Wachowski's have used up all their cred with Warner Bros. (see Zack Snyder after Sucker Punch) and they won't likely make another movie for them again unless its on assignment (see Zack Snyder after Sucker Punch).

So which DC Universe film do we take bets on them helming?  The Flash and Aquaman gigs are still open...

Quaker

« Reply #21928 on: February 07, 2015, 08:30:56 PM »
I think more likely The Wachowski's have used up all their cred with Warner Bros. (see Zack Snyder after Sucker Punch) and they won't likely make another movie for them again unless its on assignment (see Zack Snyder after Sucker Punch).

So which DC Universe film do we take bets on them helming?  The Flash and Aquaman gigs are still open...
The rumor is that they were looking at Jeff Nichols(Shotgun Stories/Take Shelter/Mud) to do Aquaman. :fbm

cool breeze

« Reply #21929 on: February 07, 2015, 08:59:48 PM »
I think that's probably the more reliable rumor but there's talk of whoeverdirectedthat300sequel being up for it.  depending on how much freedom warners gives the directors, I kinda want a $170+ million dollar Aquaman movie from Jeff Nichols just to see what it'll be.  like how did that conversation even come up.

and if warners wants to get dirty, the wachowski's will wake up to a Cyborg script on their beds.  or the Green Lantern reboot, if Tyrese's eventual honger strike lands him the role.   

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21930 on: February 08, 2015, 07:52:26 PM »
Wachowskis probably fit a DC franchise more than they would like to admit. I enjoyed Speed Racer, so if they're able to pull of something colorful and fun I'm all for it.

I'd love that, but LOL at the idea of a "colorful" DC movie being greenlit with all the money made by grimdark Nolan Batman movies, and the tone of superhero live-action media in general.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #21931 on: February 08, 2015, 11:34:55 PM »

cool breeze

« Reply #21932 on: February 10, 2015, 12:00:24 AM »
http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

Marvel Studios and Sony Picture are working together.  Spider-Man will be in the Marvel movies, maybe as early as Captain America 3.  Sony still doing solo Spider-Man movies, and I guess Sinister Six.  But it's new, so Amazing Spider-Man is shitbinned and there's a new actor.  but JK Simmons is probably coming back as Jameson.  so it's a weird situation.

so there is a new solo Spider-Man coming in 2017, with everything else Marvel pushed back (Black Panther in 2018 now)

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #21933 on: February 10, 2015, 12:37:31 AM »

WDW

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #21934 on: February 10, 2015, 12:51:02 AM »
http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

Marvel Studios and Sony Picture are working together.  Spider-Man will be in the Marvel movies, maybe as early as Captain America 3.  Sony still doing solo Spider-Man movies, and I guess Sinister Six.  But it's new, so Amazing Spider-Man is shitbinned and there's a new actor.  but JK Simmons is probably coming back as Jameson.  so it's a weird situation.

so there is a new solo Spider-Man coming in 2017, with everything else Marvel pushed back (Black Panther in 2018 now)

Just need Fox to work with Marvel on X-men. I don't mind Fox's X-men but having the X-men collaborate with the "MCU" in general would be good for both.

« Reply #21935 on: February 10, 2015, 12:55:10 AM »
I like X-men being separate, I don't want it bogged down with Avenger bullshit.
野球

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #21936 on: February 10, 2015, 01:07:04 AM »
Does this mean that Bruce Campbell is going to be introduced into the MCU?

cool breeze

« Reply #21937 on: February 10, 2015, 01:15:17 AM »
yeah.  and even in the comics there's always the weird dissonance between "oi fuck mutants" and "go avengers!" that they try to explain (hand wave) every once in a while.

if abe vigoda is alive they should cast him as the vulture.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #21938 on: February 10, 2015, 09:19:54 AM »
Meh I would rather have black panther and doctor strange earlier than another spiderman movie from sony.

edit: http://marvel.com/news/movies/24065/marvel_studios_schedules_new_release_dates_for_4_films

well I guess I'm ok with that
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:27:37 AM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21939 on: February 10, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »
I guess I'll have to watch Spider-Man movies now.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #21940 on: February 10, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »
O and I hope that Jameson is in all the netflix series.  Love that dude.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #21941 on: February 10, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »
Yeah, Ben Urich, the reporter from the Daily Bugle, is pretty important to the Daredevil series, but it's probably too late for that series at this point.
WDW

benjipwns

« Reply #21942 on: February 12, 2015, 12:14:58 AM »
Surveillance (2008) by David Lynch's daughter

:holeup :kobeyuck :whew :whoo :dead
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:27:06 AM by benjipwns »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21943 on: February 12, 2015, 02:41:23 AM »
Watched Clooney’s Ocean’s Eleven start-to-finish for the first time. It’s really well put together. Somehow it still feels pretty “light” for a heist/caper movie, but that’s part of its charm. If I had my way, I’d dress like Andy Garcia’s character pretty much every day, even though it’s a decade out of style now. Those Nehru collars... those waist chains...

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #21944 on: February 12, 2015, 02:45:51 AM »
I could never get into those Ocean 11 movies. The first one was okay although it felt like it wanted to be "clever" but really wasn't. But like you said I think that was part of the charm of that particular movie.

After that first one, it just felt like it was a way for all those actors to keep cashing big checks making a worse movie each time.

But man those movies were popular. It seems like it would be hard for such a film to crossover now to me for some reason. They feel very early 2000's now.

benjipwns

« Reply #21945 on: February 12, 2015, 02:59:41 AM »
Ocean's 12 is terrible, Thirteen has an alright part near the end but feels super long and drawn out IIRC.

First one is gold though imo, one of the best remakes. I also like that it's one of the few heist films that doesn't cut too many corners on the heist being plausibly pulled off and lets the "villain" figure out the con even if he can't do anything about it at that point other than get Ocean on probation violation. Andy Garcia's character is like just one step behind them on instinct and he doesn't have the world's best team of criminals.

I didn't really like the Tess shit though. It's the one part where the movie gets serious.

Favorite part was Matt Damon and Bernie Mac.  :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21946 on: February 12, 2015, 09:38:10 AM »
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21947 on: February 12, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #21948 on: February 12, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »
Still haven't watched the lastest Spiderman movies.

Too bad for Garfield though, he seemed to be a good fit.
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #21949 on: February 12, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »
 Enjoyed the first one.  The second one was a complete mess, enough so that I had no interest in any other amazing spiderman movies or spinoffs.  Garfield and Emma were great though.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #21950 on: February 12, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »

as a huge fan of the original series, i dug the look and feel of this.
it will probably have that same stupid boring structure and plot of every other damn action film but the characters looked fairly grand
Tonya

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #21952 on: February 12, 2015, 05:01:13 PM »
I wouldn't mind highschool as a netflix show but in the movies you get like 2 scenes in highschool with a shitty highschool mini plot and that's in.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21953 on: February 12, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »
Can Peter save New York City AND get his Biology assignment turned in on time!!!
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #21954 on: February 12, 2015, 05:04:54 PM »
I think it's fine, and it'll be a bigger contrast for fish out of water hijinks when he's with The Avengers.
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21955 on: February 12, 2015, 05:35:11 PM »
I could never get into those Ocean 11 movies. The first one was okay although it felt like it wanted to be "clever" but really wasn't. But like you said I think that was part of the charm of that particular movie.

After that first one, it just felt like it was a way for all those actors to keep cashing big checks making a worse movie each time.

But man those movies were popular. It seems like it would be hard for such a film to crossover now to me for some reason. They feel very early 2000's now.

I have no plans to watch the sequels.

Clooney’s pretty much stated that the sequels are just a way to go someplace nice for a few months and hang out while shooting a movie. I also hated the “Julia Roberts lookalike” thing they tried to pull off, which just was too strained for me.

In contrast, I’m reading The Hot Rock, the first Dortmunder novel, and it is everything you’d want in a heist.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #21956 on: February 12, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
I feel like I haven't seen a decent movie in awhile :shaq2

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21957 on: February 12, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
Go back and watch some classics. Hitchcock is a balm for the soul.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21958 on: February 12, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »

Watch this: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/924712
dog

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #21959 on: February 13, 2015, 10:33:19 AM »
http://instantwatcher.com/titles/200378

Honeymoon is on netflix.  If you like slow burn horror, watch this movie
Tonya