Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4261628 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #37380 on: July 20, 2020, 07:21:15 PM »
 :rash

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #37381 on: July 20, 2020, 07:26:57 PM »
What kind of dumb fucking pretentious remark is that?

Hi glen.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37383 on: July 20, 2020, 08:18:25 PM »
 :ohhh
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37384 on: July 21, 2020, 03:31:14 AM »
vivarium is awful  :lol stupid ass kid reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeing for cereal  :doge seems like it coulda been a decent outer limits ep, but needed a better director  :yeshrug

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #37385 on: July 23, 2020, 05:41:27 PM »
Now watching Earthlings on the recommendation of the Ukrainian president
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37386 on: July 23, 2020, 06:31:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1286406365968130048

reseteramickeymouseroadto10billionindebt.jpg :miyamoto
🤴

shosta

« Reply #37387 on: July 23, 2020, 07:05:25 PM »
Alright... no more meat for me :mjcry
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37388 on: July 24, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »
Alright... no more meat for me :mjcry
The trailer looks like a parody movie.  :lol

Nature: *image of pretty mountain*
Animals: *image of penguin*
Humankind: *image of Adolf Hitler and the KKK*

BTW there aren't three life forces, there's one, and it's all nature.  ::)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37389 on: July 24, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »
What kind of dumb fucking pretentious remark is that?

He's a movie guy and Arabia is one of the most highly regarded films.  It is surprising that he hasn't seen it. 

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #37391 on: July 26, 2020, 12:20:00 AM »
Logan is the best xmen movie right?

mccavoy can turn me out anytime in a library like in atonement, but none of the films match logan.

Tasty

« Reply #37392 on: July 26, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »
https://thedirectorscommentary.tumblr.com

:o

Where have you been all my life. :heartbeat

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #37393 on: July 29, 2020, 01:48:14 AM »
Watched Child's Play 2019 I had zero expectations, it's actually pretty good. :mindblown

paprikastaude

« Reply #37394 on: July 30, 2020, 06:57:02 PM »
The best theater around here played Empire Strikes Back for its 40th anniversary.

I thought I was over this kiddy shit these days, now even more with those dumb culture wars mixed in. But man, V is still so good on the big screen. So many goosebump moments :tocry Fucking John Williams. Those visuals.

Bebpo

« Reply #37395 on: August 02, 2020, 03:24:57 AM »
I think I'm done with art house horror films, which in turn probably means just being done with horror films in general outside the occasional one that turns out good or decent like Childs Play and Halloween, in general most studio horror is crap and not worth the time.

And most indie horror is not really even horror anymore. Or just dumb and since they all have zero budget they're really small stories that are slow burns short story equivalents are 90 mins.

Watched Relic which has great RT and everyone loves. Had a few creepy bits, but overall was boring for the first half and then the second half gets interesting and then
spoiler (click to show/hide)
has a dumb ending because psyche! this isn't a horror film after all, it's all just a big metaphor for losing a parent to dementia. Like that is a horrible thing in itself and I feel for people like the director that go through that experience.

But everyone's selling this as a horror film and 3/4ths of the film sells it as a horror film, so then turning around and being "it's not a horror film, it's a drama" and not really give any sort of ending to the horror film side of it, just rubs me wrong.
[close]

Call me simple but in a world where there's hardly any good old-school simple horror anymore, I'd rather just have a good movie about a monster, ghost, curse, killer, vampire, etc... than a deep arthouse metaphor.

Since I didn't like Midsommer, I feel like the last indie horror film that actually paid off was Hereditary. The Lighthouse was solid, but that was more a dark comedy.

And you can do indie and arthouse and still just do regular satisfying horror. It's not impossible. My favorite indie horror film The House of the Devil isn't a slow burn that's actually a metaphor for dealing with an abusive SO with a cocaine addiction, it's a movie about demonic scary shit.

And also just kind of a remake of
Rosemary's Baby, but still.
[close]

Anyhow, I watch like one or two movies a month these days because playing games instead, so I get annoyed when I spend two hours on something I don't like. /rant over

Bebpo

« Reply #37396 on: August 02, 2020, 03:32:32 AM »
Like the other horror movie I watched this month after a few people recommended it was CAM which...wasn't terrible, but probably wasn't worth the 90 mins either. Again, it wasn't scary because the actually twist thing was

Basically what seemed like an identity stealing deepfakes AI that steals Cam girls accounts and acts as them?

Which I mean is a bit original so I'm not gonna say it's a bad movie, but the problem with that is it's not really scary because outside of the mental impact, the AI can't really physically harm anyone (and doesn't seem like it has any intention to do so) so it's not really scary at all.

It's almost more a sci-fi short story than a horror one.
[close]

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37397 on: August 02, 2020, 03:46:27 AM »
Leave it to a man to say something so ignorant

https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1261024735451918336

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37398 on: August 02, 2020, 08:05:14 AM »
Arrival (The Villeneuve one) : Eeeeeh. I didn't entirely click with the core idea. I thought it worked well emotionally but the manner they solved the plot with it was really rushed and hamfisted. Otherwise it's all very well done, tasteful and subdued.

Baby Driver : Pretty cool but I thought the gimmick was a bit overdone after a while. Like syncing gunshots to the music felt really artificial and unnecessary. It's a very superficial and shallow thing to nitpick, of course the musicality of the whole thing is also incorporated in the editing & camera work and I don't really have anything to say about that. Liked it overall. Some of the emotional string they start pulling in the second half are a bit too facile perhaps.

Horse Girl : The RLM boys mentioned it and I was intrigued. Thought it was good. Refreshing, surprising, good writing (a lot of small touches are dead ends but I think it's a more interesting portrayal of the protagonist than wrapping all up neatly), thought the visuals were really nice.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37399 on: August 02, 2020, 08:19:55 AM »
Watched The Hunt for Red October with two friends who hadn't seen it.
It has aged like fine wine but the slow pacing is perhaps not everyone. 
:snob

This shot

This soundtrack

Sean Connery dominating every scene

:lawd

In this alternative universe he violently kills a little known KGB officer Putin
[close]
🤴

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #37400 on: August 02, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »
Speaking of that director, I watched the movie that sent him to jail (Rollerball) and the movie it was a remake of (er, Rollerball as well). Technically I watched the former again as I saw it during its original theatrical release but I didn't remember very much of it.

Elevator pitches: The original movie is a bad version of This Sporting Life. The remake is a bad version of The Wages of Fear.

tl;dr in the spoiler.

Rollerball (original): This was much more of a sports ball movie than I was expecting since people constantly lament the absence of its social commentary in the remake. Nothing wrong with that, just found it unintentionally amusing. Anyway, let's move on.

The good: Strong performance from Jimmy Caan. Cinematography that is comfortable with large, empty space. I found its observations that sexism can strongly persist in an arch corporate economy and that knowledge degrades when monopolized by large corporations prescient.

The bad: This movie is an interesting artefact. It's gripped by that very Boomer anxiety of "what if all my material comforts are met, but I'm not free?" which to be blunt falls spectacularly flat during the COVID-19 portion of 2020. It was also made in a time when movies still believed they could be art so it has a soundtrack straight out of that classical music video program PBS shows at ungodly night hours.

The ugly: There's some questionable cultural content in the run-up to the game against Tokyo. (I'm sure you can use your imaginations here.)

The gold: This is a movie about a Houston sports ball team overcoming cheating done by other competing parties to win a championship. Oops.

Rollerball (nü): Remember when Hollywood was so hard up for leading men that Chris Klein had a career? Me neither. Remember when street luge was a cutting edge "extreme' sport? No? Rollerball does!

The good: There's a extended scene in this movie shot entirely in bad night vision that evokes the sterile horror of Operation Desert Storm coverage (while presaging its continuation in the later Afghan and Iraqi wars) that includes multiple Looney Tunes sound effects. This is a movie willing to clobber you over the head with commentary on obscene income inequality while Slipknot literally performs live.

The bad: This is obviously a movie that had a lot of problems in production and it also presaged the contemporary trend of releasing movie that are too long for how little they have to say. (Despite some of the scenes you have to see and meditate on--covered in the gold portion--the structure of the movie feels pretty familiar.) It's also a movie about a sport that has contempt for sports in general so key moments on the field lack the gravitas of Rollerball (old), probably because it uses the NFL as a Rosetta Stone for sports.

The ugly: Besides being the movie that sent a beloved action movie director to jail? This is a movie that says the world is ugly and embraces it in totality. Is that inherently wrong? No, but it comes off quite cloying here.

The gold: Becky Romijn is in this movie with an accent and behavior that leads you to believe she's vaguely Slavic and then you find out during a match that she's just Dutch. This is mirrored by Jean Reno being a Russian oligarch who just talks like Jean Reno. Amazing accent work all around in this movie, up there with 1956's The Conqueror.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37401 on: August 02, 2020, 04:10:39 PM »
Nu Rollerball is really bad, especially for a director so talented as McTiernan (Even stuff like Basic which is arguably mediocre is still engaging IMO). Terrible music by Serra too and very dated all around. His very vocal french fandom tried to pass the wool over it (and the night vision bit was featured prominently) but in retrospect the production woes that spilled into literal prison just suggest it was a bad project that was miserable for everyone. It happens.

Hunt for... is really great and holds well despite the Clancy sourcing and the quirks (Connery's accent, famously).
ὕβρις

Sman

« Reply #37402 on: August 02, 2020, 04:15:12 PM »
Saw the Rise of Skywalker yesterday and...

:yuck
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #37403 on: August 02, 2020, 04:25:37 PM »
Speaking of that director, I watched the movie that sent him to jail (Rollerball) and the movie it was a remake of (er, Rollerball as well). Technically I watched the former again as I saw it during its original theatrical release but I didn't remember very much of it.

Elevator pitches: The original movie is a bad version of This Sporting Life. The remake is a bad version of The Wages of Fear.

tl;dr in the spoiler.

Rollerball (original): This was much more of a sports ball movie than I was expecting since people constantly lament the absence of its social commentary in the remake. Nothing wrong with that, just found it unintentionally amusing. Anyway, let's move on.

The good: Strong performance from Jimmy Caan. Cinematography that is comfortable with large, empty space. I found its observations that sexism can strongly persist in an arch corporate economy and that knowledge degrades when monopolized by large corporations prescient.

The bad: This movie is an interesting artefact. It's gripped by that very Boomer anxiety of "what if all my material comforts are met, but I'm not free?" which to be blunt falls spectacularly flat during the COVID-19 portion of 2020. It was also made in a time when movies still believed they could be art so it has a soundtrack straight out of that classical music video program PBS shows at ungodly night hours.

The ugly: There's some questionable cultural content in the run-up to the game against Tokyo. (I'm sure you can use your imaginations here.)

The gold: This is a movie about a Houston sports ball team overcoming cheating done by other competing parties to win a championship. Oops.

Rollerball (nü): Remember when Hollywood was so hard up for leading men that Chris Klein had a career? Me neither. Remember when street luge was a cutting edge "extreme' sport? No? Rollerball does!

The good: There's a extended scene in this movie shot entirely in bad night vision that evokes the sterile horror of Operation Desert Storm coverage (while presaging its continuation in the later Afghan and Iraqi wars) that includes multiple Looney Tunes sound effects. This is a movie willing to clobber you over the head with commentary on obscene income inequality while Slipknot literally performs live.

The bad: This is obviously a movie that had a lot of problems in production and it also presaged the contemporary trend of releasing movie that are too long for how little they have to say. (Despite some of the scenes you have to see and meditate on--covered in the gold portion--the structure of the movie feels pretty familiar.) It's also a movie about a sport that has contempt for sports in general so key moments on the field lack the gravitas of Rollerball (old), probably because it uses the NFL as a Rosetta Stone for sports.

The ugly: Besides being the movie that sent a beloved action movie director to jail? This is a movie that says the world is ugly and embraces it in totality. Is that inherently wrong? No, but it comes off quite cloying here.

The gold: Becky Romijn is in this movie with an accent and behavior that leads you to believe she's vaguely Slavic and then you find out during a match that she's just Dutch. This is mirrored by Jean Reno being a Russian oligarch who just talks like Jean Reno. Amazing accent work all around in this movie, up there with 1956's The Conqueror.
[close]

Wow, I'd never heard of the whole jail thing. Just looked it up and that's crazy he threw away his whole career and life savings because he was paranoid about a studio exec on a...Rollerball remake  :mindblown

He was actually a good director too. Red October, Predator, Die Hard 3, all legit stuff. Shame he blew it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37404 on: August 02, 2020, 04:56:17 PM »
I think the apologist defence (as I said, very vocal fandom here) was that he got railroaded and singled out in the Pellicano affair, when that private investigator was involved in dozens if not hundreds of similar shady cases involving many Hollywood types of similar or superior stature than McTiernan.

Which is perhaps true but also a bit of a diversion. My impression is that he should have copped out with some of the earlier deals he got instead of fighting to the bitter end. But it's not like I have ever been in that position, I suppose it's hard to just compromise and cut losses when you feel you're being wronged.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37405 on: August 02, 2020, 08:12:14 PM »
The Hunt for Red October is a fun and laid back film to watch, despite the high stakes.
It has the perfect balance of serious military action and dark humor that I love about such films, like the Russian who wants to live in Montana and the bickering generals not unlike Dr. Strangelove.
And finally there's the cheesy out-of-place one-liner from Jack Ryan when he has to take a chopper: "Next time you should write a memo Jack!"
It couldn't be more different from 'modern' Jack Ryan.

And then of course James Earl Jones is also a great actor in nearly all his roles, you don't have to question that he is the Admiral.

I really enjoy these type of films but they're not really being made anymore, at least not in the same way.
🤴

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37406 on: August 03, 2020, 01:34:01 AM »
Withnail and I - An odd little one. I feel like I need to be in England for 6 months or just be more well versed in British film that is very British. Cause frankly some of the movie didn't register with me all the way and I think it has to be cultural. Oh and the accents weren't the easiest for me to understand at all times especially when some of the conversations get a little more poetic than regular talking. So yeah, cultural barrier.

But it's also got some really fantastic scenes. The stuff with Monty was a treat. A messed up treat, but a treat. The scene when Withnail and the other dude are terrified of what's entering the cottage. So good. The drug dealer's last scene after the 2 main guys return to their flat. That had me rolling.

I didn't really like the movie all that much, but I'm happy to have seen it.

-------

Guns Akimbo - *breathes in* Not good. Tonality all over the place and just meh. Cool concept though that Harry Potter finds himself in. And the main female lead trying to kill Potter was great. Wouldn't recommend. Unlike the movie I mentioned above, There is no particular scene in this movie where I'd go "eh let's just watch these 5 minutes and then switch it off."
Though the way the movie kills off people is kinda neat. It has you thinking "ah it's gonna go in this direction" and then bam! That person is dead so scrap whatever idea you had.
In short. Pass. Go watch Swiss Army Man instead.

Oh yeah, I hated he music selection for the final showdown. It just came off lame to me and I'm so over that kind of music choice. Part of my criticism of the movie's tone.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:42:57 AM by EchoRin »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37407 on: August 03, 2020, 03:02:29 AM »

Withnail and I - An odd little one. I feel like I need to be in England for 6 months or just be more well versed in British film that is very British. Cause frankly some of the movie didn't register with me all the way and I think it has to be cultural. Oh and the accents weren't the easiest for me to understand at all times especially when some of the conversations get a little more poetic than regular talking. So yeah, cultural barrier.

But it's also got some really fantastic scenes. The stuff with Monty was a treat. A messed up treat, but a treat. The scene when Withnail and the other dude are terrified of what's entering the cottage. So good. The drug dealer's last scene after the 2 main guys return to their flat. That had me rolling.

I didn't really like the movie all that much, but I'm happy to have seen it.

-------

Guns Akimbo - *breathes in* Not good. Tonality all over the place and just meh. Cool concept though that Harry Potter finds himself in. And the main female lead trying to kill Potter was great. Wouldn't recommend. Unlike the movie I mentioned above, There is no particular scene in this movie where I'd go "eh let's just watch these 5 minutes and then switch it off."
Though the way the movie kills off people is kinda neat. It has you thinking "ah it's gonna go in this direction" and then bam! That person is dead so scrap whatever idea you had.
In short. Pass. Go watch Swiss Army Man instead.

Oh yeah, I hated he music selection for the final showdown. It just came off lame to me and I'm so over that kind of music choice. Part of my criticism of the movie's tone.

Yeah, same opinion on Guns Akimbo. I was so hopeful, but it doesn’t know what it wants to be. It tries to play the “if this was a movie” card, playing at realism, but is a stupid, atonal stab at cartoony presentation. Dumb, overly stylized, loud palette to go with its cheesy violence.

Also agreed: just watch Swiss Army Man again instead.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37408 on: August 03, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
being horny is the real matrix  :doge

shosta

« Reply #37409 on: August 03, 2020, 02:25:59 PM »
TubiTV is pretty good for movies I can't find on Hulu or Netflix :leon
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #37410 on: August 03, 2020, 05:06:25 PM »
Saw Afro Samurai: Resurrection... all anime should be like that
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #37411 on: August 04, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
Shadow :leon
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37412 on: August 04, 2020, 11:32:11 PM »
I ended up watching Wild Goose Lake finally, and it was quite beautiful and fun.
Really creative from a visual stand point, and it builds up tension like a motherfucker in some scenes.
I dunno if i liked it more than Black Coal Thin Ice, though.

In the last 5 or 6 months i've basically watched zero movies, so i want to get back into it, no more wasting my time with tv shows! (i'm probably still gonna watch The Boys s2, even though the first one was just alright :fbm).

Even when TV is good (like Sharp Objects or whatever) it's just alright at best, but it's really easy to consume.
I need to restore my fucking attention span with some decent artsy fartsy cinema.  8)

shosta

« Reply #37413 on: August 04, 2020, 11:44:50 PM »
The art films coming out of China are really something else. Gorgeous and layered.
Like your mom.
[close]
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37414 on: August 04, 2020, 11:59:56 PM »
This one was more of a straight up thriller/entertainment, but still quite incredibly crafted.
That dolly shot with the lightnings, as the protagonist walks towards the decapitated guy, is  :lawd

However, now i'll have to watch all of Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks in one sitting, to regain my powers.  :hmph

Quaker

« Reply #37415 on: August 05, 2020, 02:54:26 AM »
I ended up watching Wild Goose Lake finally, and it was quite beautiful and fun.
Really creative from a visual stand point, and it builds up tension like a motherfucker in some scenes.
I dunno if i liked it more than Black Coal Thin Ice, though.

In the last 5 or 6 months i've basically watched zero movies, so i want to get back into it, no more wasting my time with tv shows! (i'm probably still gonna watch The Boys s2, even though the first one was just alright :fbm).

Even when TV is good (like Sharp Objects or whatever) it's just alright at best, but it's really easy to consume.
I need to restore my fucking attention span with some decent artsy fartsy cinema.  8)
Yes.

I was not expecting a strong, low-key Chinese neo-noir genre film very similar to Drive/Only God Forgives without the pretension of Refn that's just as graphic/explicit.

It reminded me also of Ash is Purest White but skewing more towards genre/action instead of the profound/philosophical(not a knock.)

Tangentially related:

Some of the interviews were a little dry but I was impressed by how much attention was paid to the craft/presentation for a 10 year old documentary with such a limited audience, especially after being somewhat disappointied by Herzog's latest docu-drama thing, which was fine but visually was so flat.

Thanks for calling out Tie Xi Qu. It's been on my list for a while but I hadn't realized it was on Youtube and since it was seemingly shot on early digital video there shouldn't be that much of a loss in quality.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37416 on: August 05, 2020, 05:06:42 AM »
Wild Goose Lake is really strong, I'm glad I saw it in theater.
ὕβρις

Leadbelly

« Reply #37417 on: August 06, 2020, 08:08:37 PM »
lol

So I decided I was going to pay for Shudder after using it for free a couple of months back. I Saw some decent movies added. I go to pay for membership and I see a 'promo code' box. So I decide to search for promo codes, because you never know, and I notice a 30 day free trial promo code. I enter it in the box and it works. Now I have another 30 day free trial on Shudder.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37418 on: August 07, 2020, 04:57:52 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37419 on: August 07, 2020, 01:28:57 PM »
Only in cinemas 2021.
Seems quite optimistic  :heyman
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37420 on: August 08, 2020, 05:54:00 PM »
deep blue sea 3 is better than deep blue sea 2 but its no deep blue sea.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37421 on: August 08, 2020, 06:01:51 PM »
Also great scene

[close]

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37422 on: August 08, 2020, 07:18:36 PM »
deep blue sea 3 is better than deep blue sea 2 but its no deep blue sea.
how does it compare to the anaconda sequels?  :thinking

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37423 on: August 08, 2020, 08:18:15 PM »
That's really hard to say without knowing where you are on the snake-shark spectrum. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37424 on: August 08, 2020, 08:28:06 PM »
 :drool

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37425 on: August 08, 2020, 08:43:34 PM »
They call me a half-and-half because I'm into gaters.  Crawl is my jam. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37426 on: August 08, 2020, 08:45:22 PM »
Watching the Predator now.  This movie is straight out of 1993.  I had no expectations coming in and it has far surpassed them.  If this was the first in a franchise, it would be beloved. 

shosta

« Reply #37427 on: August 08, 2020, 08:49:15 PM »
Predator 2 is a mess but imo the last half hour makes up for the whole movie.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37428 on: August 08, 2020, 08:51:22 PM »
I thought so too until I saw Olivia Munn shoot her self in the foot with a tranq, then take a nose dive off a bus.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37429 on: August 08, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »
Ok, this was a really good movie.  Pretty sure it's supposed to be an intentional parody of the hyper-masculinity of the first movie.  Though it's hard to tell because its also using the autistic servant trope in 2018 while also using 'distinguished mentally-challenged fellow' as the basis of a joke.  The comedic ultra-violence is spot on.  I also really enjoyed that they shot the preditor-dog (who sports dreadlocks) in the head which turned it into a happy-go-lucky goodboi dog.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37430 on: August 08, 2020, 10:15:49 PM »
I remember liking it while watching, but don't remember much about the movie and don't know if I'll ever watch again  :trumps

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37431 on: August 09, 2020, 04:40:54 AM »
Last Shift: pretty good combination of a ghost story and “assault on precinct 13.” The black canary from arrow is in it, and she is quite compelling in a role that basically has the camera on her 99% of the time. There are a few, exquisite, truly surprising moments in it that made me say “holy shit.” If it’s on your local Netflix, please check it out!

Is that a metaphor for taking the role in X-Men Apocalypse instead of Deadpool?

:applause

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37432 on: August 09, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »
Ready Player One was a Transformers-level bad movie.   Kinda enjoyed it. 

Leadbelly

« Reply #37433 on: August 09, 2020, 12:25:41 PM »
Possessor. Directed by Brandon Cronenberg, the son of David Cronenberg (Kind of obvious). It is very much a film David Cronenberg would make as well. It's as if David Cronenberg went, "Son, I am getting too old for this shit, could you do this film for me?". It is not the best film in the world, but definitely worth a watch. It is certainly an interesting concept. Perhaps its flaw is trying to do too much with it, instead of keeping it simple and focused. Still, it has its moments.

I will also mention Sean Bean is in this movie. I'm sure you know the joke about Sean Bean. Well, they kind of play around with that joke towards the end.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:32:07 PM by Leadbelly »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37434 on: August 10, 2020, 01:33:52 AM »
Looks neat.
I suggest you watch Antiviral if you haven't.
It's been years since i watched it (when it came out, in 2012), but i remember it being kind of neat.
It's one of those very obvious allegoric sci fi, more style than substance, but it has a vibe.

Also, watching movies in this heat is impossible, so i retract my previous statement about getting back into serious cinema, until the weather cools off.
Sitting 2 hours on the couch, turns it into a puddle.  :stahp

Bebpo

« Reply #37435 on: August 10, 2020, 05:26:18 AM »
I heard Host on Shudder (not to be confused with The Host)  was a good new horror movie and watched it tonight.

Was good, but not great. Was neat seeing a legit Covid Lockdown movie already and it's done pretty well. It's also actually fairly tense and creepy with some scares.

My only issue is even at 55 min runtime I was kinda bored by the end, because it hit one of my horror movie pet peeves:

I think it's bad storytelling to not present any glimmer of hope for the main characters and so you just watch them die one by one and then the movie's over.

I think it's fine to kill everyone in the end, but you need to at least give them a potential escape/way out so the audience is rooting for them and there's tension of whether they make it or not.

If there's no way out it just gets boring after a few deaths when you realize there's nothing left to the runtime than watching the remaining characters die one by one.
[close]

Still if you have Shudder it's worth a watch.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37436 on: August 10, 2020, 05:59:47 AM »
Are you talking about 2006 The Host or 2013 The Host? Holy shit there's a 2020 The Host too? Take a hint screenwriters

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37437 on: August 10, 2020, 02:58:54 PM »
They're finally doing another Tron, but Jared Leto is the star. :tocry
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37438 on: August 10, 2020, 03:00:42 PM »
They're finally doing another Tron, but Jared Leto is the star. :tocry

A finger curls on Andrex’s monkey paw.
©@©™

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37439 on: August 10, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »
Aye lmao. Worst news of the day. Well almost. Things weren't so hot in Chicago this early morning.