Author Topic: NPD DAY!!!  (Read 28374 times)

Re: NPD DAY!!!
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2008, 07:35:15 PM »
i have really liked the fall sony lineup - lbp, resistance 2 (i know i am in the minority here), and i want to check out motorstorm 2 at some point

also getting interested in kz2

so yeah, it's all system price, because they've had a solid rack of games this fall

Honestly, I don't see anything in the lineup that could convince me to drop $700 Australian on a PS3.
odb

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl This graph is even funnier now than back then.

Since Sony always like to play the "Playstation Brand is doing well" card when PS3 sales are wallowing, I'd like to see them try and compare this year to last year.

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2008, 07:35:34 PM »
Well, Banjo probably is.
i just needed a fourth game to complete the series  :-\
haw

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2008, 07:35:51 PM »
Keep drinking Microsoft's Kool-Aid, you dirty lemming. One day you will wake up and see the truth. The Playstation 3 has probably sold over a million units this month, only Microsoft wants to keep you from knowing the truth.

Just like the moon landing, these numbers were created on a sound stage behind the house of one Mister Bill Gates.

my bad, i actually thought you were delusional. i must have been switching between gaf and here at the time.   :-\
pyh

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2008, 07:36:57 PM »
i have really liked the fall sony lineup - lbp, resistance 2 (i know i am in the minority here), and i want to check out motorstorm 2 at some point

also getting interested in kz2

so yeah, it's all system price, because they've had a solid rack of games this fall

Honestly, I don't see anything in the lineup that could convince me to drop $700 Australian on a PS3.

that's what i'm saying, it's a good run of games, but not good enough to overcome the fact that you can buy any two of the other systems out there for less money (or just a little more)

the value isn't there
sup

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2008, 07:37:16 PM »
Yeah, I guess ironically, Sony has had the best line-up in some time. Apparently though, not much of it was of interest to even PS3 owners themselves, as Motorstorm 2 hasn't done very good. There goes that sub-genre.

Oblivion

« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »
LBP is Sony's best selling game this year? Wasn't there some other stuff that was released that made bigger opening weeks? Heck, Sony didn't even do a shipped press release for the game, and they did for Motorstorm 2.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #187 on: December 11, 2008, 07:38:31 PM »
I like that they included Blu-Ray. I also like the integrated wireless, the standard HDD and hell, I even appreciate the card readers. But just like the all-inclusive and more is more strategy failed to get people onboard the Xbox train last generation, it wasn't going to win anything for Sony this generation. Bummer, but that's the way shit is.
Except in the PS3's case, that "more is more" strategy doesn't correlate to better graphics (should change with Killzone). And you completely ignore the costs of their technology decisions, such as how difficult their system is to program for and mandatory installs, as well as virtually no changes to a dated controller design. I wish MS had went with a HDD standard strategy like last gen, but at least now they have made it worthwhile for those that choose to go the HDD route. MS obviously dropped the ball in terms of quality and cultivating first part game development.
jon

y2kev

« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »
It's either LBP or Resistance 2 for sure. I'd bet it was LBP worldwide. But we'll see if we get numbers.
haw

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #189 on: December 11, 2008, 07:40:23 PM »

Yeah, that's me too.  They don't have a better lineup than anyone else so they desperately need to drop the stupid pricing.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »
they've had some great ideas:

the co-op and huge multiplayer modes on r2

the co-op, creation, sharing, and camera integration on lbp

being able to go online four-player split-screen ala halo in motorstorm 2 (has that been done before in a racing game?)
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #191 on: December 11, 2008, 07:41:52 PM »
Fuck it, I'm just going to go back to being a PC fanboy. That platform is always dying, so hey.

duckman2000

« Reply #192 on: December 11, 2008, 07:43:47 PM »
They don't have a better lineup than anyone else so they desperately need to drop the stupid pricing.

It's different, though. And typically quite ambitious, with varying levels of success in terms of execution. Whether it's something that attracts you, to the tune of spending several hundred dollars, that's a different matter.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #193 on: December 11, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »
Clearly wrika since Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 2, Fallout, and Banjo aren't on the top 10 THEY ARE ALL BOMBS

Expectations.

Far Cry 2 wasn't set to put the world on fire. I don't see it as a bomba, as it wasn't exactly a high profile release.

EA did said they expected Mirrors Edge to sell 3 million copies though, and it seems they have changed their tune about it a bit. So it might not be a bomba, i mean expecting 3 million across 2 platforms, and by the looks of it, not coming close, isn't exactly good news but it's not like it was hyped to high heaven sales wise by the "industry".

Fallout, well, supposedly this was going to be huge, it was gonna really be selling like hotcakes, and apparently it isn't, so while it ain't a bomba, i don't think it's doing as good as some thought.

Banjo, well, MS kinda passed this under the rug, 40$, meh release hype. I don't see success slapped on its forehead, but expectations seemed low.

Again, you aren't really reaching a point. If gears of war 1 had launched to the sales numbers of LBP, and gotten a 2nd month like LBP, it would be considered a bomb, in relation to the hype, be it fan based, publisher based, journalistic based, be it on the marketing presence it had.

So fuck yes, when those factors are taken into account LBP bombed. It didn't launch in a vacuum, expectations were created by various factors, and try to dismiss those, and trying to look at it in isolation doesn't work.

cool breeze

« Reply #194 on: December 11, 2008, 07:45:21 PM »
While Resistance 2 isn't a good game, both LBP an Motorstorm PR are great.

i was actually just thinking about, in 2008 the Wii has had one of the worst years for quality games on a single platform in many, many years.  Not even the Gamecube had a year as bad as this for the Wii (largely due to the multiconsole games).

and WrikaWrek, I think Far Cry 2 had a lot of sales potential if only because it's the same crew and style as Assassin's Creed form last year, and if you remember that did sell a lot.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #195 on: December 11, 2008, 07:45:27 PM »
hell, i only bought one ms-produced game this fall, whereas i bought lbp and r2 for ps3 (and am seriously considering motorstorm)

but other than far cry 2 (because it was $25), i bought every 3rd party release on 360

sup

y2kev

« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »
wrika meltdownnn
haw

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2008, 07:49:08 PM »
pretty sure fallout did okay, especially for a fairly straight-up rpg

plus (and i know this kind of shit is lame, but whatever), bethesda games seem to maintain steady sales - it took a loooooooong time for oblivion to drop in price
sup

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #198 on: December 11, 2008, 07:50:59 PM »
wrika meltdownnn

Hardly a meltdown. As i was making perfectly well thought out arguments.

And seeing by your "I don't actually have a response", response, i would say....

:pimp

y2kev

« Reply #199 on: December 11, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »
Wrika annihilated...
haw

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2008, 07:51:39 PM »
I think Bethesda did a good job of putting out new content. Oblivion had several smaller mission packs and Shivering Isles came out almost a full year after Oblivion came out.
jon

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2008, 07:53:13 PM »
and WrikaWrek, I think Far Cry 2 had a lot of sales potential if only because it's the same crew and style as Assassin's Creed form last year, and if you remember that did sell a lot.

It's not the same team. It didn't have the same hype. And it had nowhere near the same kind of release plan by Ubisoft.

It didn't have much potential either, and it looks nothing like Assassins Creed.

Wrika annihilated...

Somebody get him a tissue, he's gonna cry  :'(

y2kev

« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2008, 07:53:29 PM »
Wrika annihilated...
haw

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2008, 07:54:37 PM »
Quick, somebody do something, y2k is about to lose it

duckman2000

« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »
Quick, somebody do something, y2k is about to lose it

Done

y2kev

« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »
Wrikacore reacing critical temperature...
haw

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »
I see Resistance 2 as a bomb. It's the sequel to one of the highest selling PS3 games. It failed to meet expectations of it's predecessor.

You can't honestly think LBP was going to sell much better than it did. You can cite Sony hype all you want, it doesn't meant a thing. Realistic expectations are that LBP would do maybe a little over a million world wide. I'm willing to bet it will in the end.
nat

Jansen

« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
i wish we got the top 20 cuz i have a feeling lbp is way down on the list

realistic expectations? moar like dialed way back expectations.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:58:10 PM by Jansen »

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2008, 07:57:15 PM »
It's different, though. And typically quite ambitious, with varying levels of success in terms of execution. Whether it's something that attracts you, to the tune of spending several hundred dollars, that's a different matter.

In terms of "different", third parties seem to be stepping up to the plate more this gen (I'm thinking things like Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge).  So maybe that satisfies people's appetites in this regard already.

Honestly, PS3 owners getting hyped for LBP, Home and flower is a bit like Wii owners saying Boom Blox, No More Heroes and The Conduit are the best things ever.  They only say it because there's nothing else going on.

(in fairness, I'm sure LBP is actually a good game.  If I owned a PS3, I'd likely buy it).

Home getting released today wasn't a coincidence, it was to keep PS3 fans away from internet forums.

:lol

duckman2000

« Reply #209 on: December 11, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »
I see Resistance 2 as a bomb. It's the sequel to one of the highest selling PS3 games. It failed to meet expectations of it's predecessor.

Comically, it received a much warmer welcome from critics, while alienating existing fans. Go them!

cool breeze

« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:06 PM »
i wish we got the top 20 cuz i have a feeling lbp is way down on the list

I see it lower than that

The funny thing about Resistance 2 is that it didn't sell well, the public reception towards the game has been poor, yet since the stupid game critics gave it such undeserved high marks Insomniac probably won't learn the lesson and spend time working on their games.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »
R2 certainly appeals to me as a fun rollercoaster ride kinda game

in fact, imma play some this evening
sup

y2kev

« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:56 PM »
It would depend on where Wii games are in the next 10. What Wii games could have sold well?

(I don't think it bombed. I mean, lolz that it was outsold by COD5, but that's a better game. The first game had to be bundled to reach a mil)
haw

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »

Comically, it received a much warmer welcome from critics, while alienating existing fans. Go them!

To be fair, only by some of the "bigger" sites. Average is only up by 1%

Still something nobody can explain since...heck, it's probably the firs unpolished game Insomniac has ever put out, and gamers reaction hasn't been that great.

I think some of the reviews were pretty forced. And now, it's just a pretty uncomfortable position for reviewers and Insomniac.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:02:45 PM by WrikaWrek »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »
No matter what the numbers, 360 and PS3 still have Fallout 3 :'(
:9

duckman2000

« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »
I wonder what would happen if MS and Sony did decide to cooperate. I mean, to fanboy bickering.

To be fair, only by some of the "bigger" sites. Average is only up by 1%

You should try reading reviews as opposed to just looking at scores.

drew

• sy
« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »
an npd thread goes 6 pages in 1 hour

man eb really has changed since last year

cool breeze

« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »
It would depend on where Wii games are in the next 10. What Wii games could have sold well?

(I don't think it bombed. I mean, lolz that it was outsold by COD5, but that's a better game. The first game had to be bundled to reach a mil)

animal crossing will probably be in the top 10

I wonder what would happen if MS and Sony did decide to cooperate. I mean, to fanboy bickering.

I don't know, but to have Benny hyping up Sony games would be too weird, or even "RAWRKUS FEENUUX!!!1!!!1 :|"
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:04:10 PM by swaggaz »

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »
all of you nfag fucks can rot in hell

sales is all you geeks have

filthy nfag scum
hey

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2008, 08:03:37 PM »
:rofl @ sony now talking about 100% increase from OCTOBER

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) has continued its strong momentum during the holiday season with 378,071 hardware units sold in November, representing an increase of almost 100% from October.
itm

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2008, 08:04:07 PM »
You should try reading reviews as opposed to just looking at scores.

I elaborated a bit with an edit.

In all cases, well, scores/averages aren't dismissed by Developers/Publishers, QUITE the opposite.

drew

• sy
« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »
hey chow chow yer preachin to the choir boi

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2008, 08:07:39 PM »
Thank Jah that this shit only happens once a month.
©ZH

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #223 on: December 11, 2008, 08:10:05 PM »
100% increase really is pretty impressive though.  Considering how much profit they must make on the PS2 and PSP by now, they probably made quite a bit of money.  We don't actually know how much profit nintendo makes on the Wii, it could be $.50/console.  LBP is a title that will probably steadily sell over the years as people buy more PS3s and end up doing quite well as more content is generated.

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »
am i?  i thought there was a sizable nfag community here
hey

treythemovie

« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2008, 08:12:09 PM »
all of you nfag fucks can rot in hell

sales is all you geeks have

filthy nfag scum

I normally don't give much of a damn about how billion dollar company A did against billion dollar company B but the bitter tears are hilarious at times

drew

• sy
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »
i prefer the slur:  nkids

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #227 on: December 11, 2008, 08:17:38 PM »
i prefer the slur:  nkids

Woah, that's so biting.  My inner ntard just got kicked in the guts.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »
The real story is the PS2, I mean look at how old it

okay fine I can't up the facade

drew

• sy
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2008, 08:22:18 PM »
Woah, that's so biting.  My inner ntard just got kicked in the guts.

:gloomy

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2008, 08:22:30 PM »
The only thing Sony can do now with the TankStation 3 is to seal off the damage.  Increase more microtransactions and shit on PSN.  No price drops for a while until they can still make money with a drop.  This means less sales but there is less bleeding of money.  Nintendo basically abandoned the GameCube in 2004 and put it in God's hands save for a release here and there.  Sony should do the same after their flagship titles are released.  Start working on the PlayStation 4 with realistic expectations, not the expectation that consumers are going to blow $600 on a gaming console.

If Nintendo can turn it around, so can the PlayStation division.  
🍆🍆

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #231 on: December 11, 2008, 08:24:41 PM »
Considering how much profit they must make on the PS2 and PSP by now, they probably made quite a bit of money.

whatever massive profit they are making of those two, the PS3 is eating it - look at the recent figures.

I don't think so.  Look at blu-ray sales and money they're making from licensing the tech.  plus with the release of Home today, things are looking up.

drew

• sy
« Reply #232 on: December 11, 2008, 08:25:33 PM »

i cant tell if your kidding or not

all of you are so sarcastic and mean tonight :'(, im goin to BP

treythemovie

« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »
For all of you clamoring for a price drop...... you guys do realize that would only hurt Sony, right?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #234 on: December 11, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »

i cant tell if your kidding or not

all of you are so sarcastic and mean tonight :'(, im goin to BP

fuck off faggit go kys

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #235 on: December 11, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »
Meh, Wii really is its own thing.

I mean cmon, give me a break, 2 million sales, and look at the top 10 software...

You have a controller selling, a fitness gizmo, Mario Kart, and Wii music. All nintendo games, 2 of them are Peripherals. ALL OF them add to the "Party Game" mentality of the Wii.

Then you have Guitar Hero, which is also a peripheral based game, and also adds to the party game bunch.

Call of duties and shit were also released on the Wii, and there's nothing. I mean, it's clear that when the Wii sells 2 million in the same month the 360 sells under 900k, you just know that there is something off.

When the Wii is selling so much more than the PS2's best november, you know something is different. Fuck, the 360 is selling closer to the Ps2 in november than the Wii is.

Now this to me means, new audience, i'm talking about party game audience, and i'm saying that the kids who would buy a Ps2 before, now buy a Wii.

And that's where the gap between 360 and Ps2 exists. It's the kids, the Wii is taking the kids, and adding the party game crowd.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #236 on: December 11, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »
For all of you clamoring for a price drop...... you guys do realize that would only hurt Sony, right?

sometimes men who fight wars must do strange things.  

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2008, 08:31:08 PM »

I think everyone's just being diplomatic - nobody's going to buy it even after a price drop.

drew

• sy
« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2008, 08:32:09 PM »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2008, 08:32:38 PM »
If PS3 was selling for half the price it is now, I'd buy it.

If I were ever to get a PS3, it would mostly for BRD functionality with the small handful of games that are worth owning
🍆🍆