Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870859 times)

Gruco

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #7080 on: December 24, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
Well, I had some time off this summer, so I decided to make an experience of it.  Instead of going to Japan or South America or whatever, I decided that I needed something more liberating.  I wanted to throw off the chains of norms constructed by society and traveled off into the ultimate freedom of international waters.  It was pretty awesome.  I spent almost the entire time free on my raft, enjoying my bluefin tuna without concern for how society and their incessant bitching about the tragedy of the commons would interfere with my right to fish.

It would have been the perfect vacation, but then something went horribly wrong.  You see, I was not the only free spirited traveler of the true land of the free.  Some of my fellow compatriots convinced me to join their business venture.  “Why sure” I thought.  “I’m an enterprising individual.”  Even after it was explained to me that this business venture was piracy and that it involved taking the property of other through force, I continued to be okay with it.

You see, I naively thought that in a state of anarchy, due to the lack of formal institutions, would mean that I could freely take what I wanted without consequence.  Unfortunately, I failed to consider the role that NATURAL RIGHTS would play in this scenario.  How foolish I was, to only consider constructs of society.  It was no sooner than I tried to take my first ship that IT HAPPENED.

A giant force field instantly surrounded my intended target and protected everyone on the boat from my assault.  I barely had time to process what has happening before a powerful voice began booming inside my head.

“Gruco, my son.  You have defied the laws of NATURAL RIGHTS.”

“Who?” I thought.  And then I knew.

It was Him.

The Ghost of Thomas Jefferson.

“My son, do you know nothing?  Those people have the right to life.”

“But Ghost of Thomas Jefferson!” I cried, desperately.  “Are not rights constructs by society?   There is no one to enforce their rights here in international waters.  What use is there to say rights exist when none can be enforced?”

“SILENCE!”  And never had any so known the wrath of the Ghost of Thomas Jefferson before that moment.

“NATUARAL RIGHTS exists because they exit.  So I speak, and it is so.  It matters not on whether they can be enforced.  It matters not whether people know of them.  They simply are.  From now on I will expect you to respect them, or you can expect my wrath again.”

“Oh” I said.  “But, hey, wait, Ghost of Thomas Jefferson, shouldn’t we have like a crash course on NATURAL RIGHTS so that I know exactly what they are?  I mean, I’m pretty sure we can agree that murder is bad, for example, but won’t it get pretty nuanced?  I mean, people have difference preferences and Arrows Impossibility Theorem states…”

“FOOL.  NATURAL RIGHTS are obvious to anyone who so opens his eyes.  I shall not suffer the indignity of discussing something that is so obvious.  Search your heart.  There you will find The Axiomatic Theorem of NATURAL RIGHTS.”

“Um, okay.  I have to say, this almost sounds like a religious thing…”

“LOL, whatever.  It’s pretty crazy to suggest The Axiomatic Theorem of NATURAL RIGHTS is religious.  By hey, shit, I gotta go, I have a hot date with the Ghosts of the Slaves I Used to Rape.  I’ll trust you to spread the good word dude.”

So, when I returned to my pirate comrades, I shared with the word of the Ghost of Thomas Jefferson.  Recognizing the importance of property rights, we gave up piracy and started, I dunno, farming, I guess.  We stopped killing each other in the name of NATURAL RIGHTS.  In fact, in order to further the cause, we decided that it would be great if we could develop some way of protecting NATURAL RIGHTS that would be somehow self sustaining.  We organized rules of conduct and systems of interacton, which we called “Institutions”, and for a time, we lived in harmony with NATURAL RIGHTS.

But, I regret to inform you, this story does not have a happy ending.

Not satisfied with the ability of our “Institutions” to enforce the right to life and property, we grew proud, and in our hubris, began studying the nature of human interactions, and began creating more and more “Institutions” to fix what our scholars referred to as “market failure” and to help our society grow strong.

There were so many.  Eventually we defied the laws of NATURAL RIGHTS, and the Ghost of Thomas Jefferson used his magical force fields to smite our civilization.

Forgive me, Ghost of Thomas Jefferson.

I have failed you.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #7081 on: December 24, 2009, 02:04:25 PM »
:bow Gruco :bow2
yar

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #7082 on: December 24, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
Lmfao. Amazing.

Robo

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #7083 on: December 24, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »
 :rofl  Oh my god, is that Mandark?
obo

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7084 on: December 24, 2009, 05:18:40 PM »
:rofl  Oh my god, is that Mandark?

Nah, that's Gruco from GAF.  Apparently he showed up only to deliver some ether to JD.  Mission Accomplished!
yar

pollo

« Reply #7085 on: December 24, 2009, 05:48:28 PM »
 :lol

So when's this shit kick in. THIS NIGG@ NEED FREE HEALTHCARE. WELFARE STATE  :gun :gun

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #7086 on: December 24, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
Uh, it's not that hard.  I believe in Natural Rights because they are part of my Trusted Computing Base.  When I call KeMoralityCheckEx2(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, (void*)((ULONG_PTR)**ppulRapeAndMurder), 0, 0, 0x2a) it returns E_WRONG.  That code runs in ring 0 and that is good enough for me.
QED

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #7087 on: December 25, 2009, 08:29:43 AM »
Sounds like you agree with Mandark. The United States of America continues to exist as long as its residents maintain the social contracts that support it.

So as long as everyone agrees that these natural rights exist, they exist within our borders, on our terms. The word "natural" is extraneous because they are completely dependent on our collective interpretation and can only be depended upon in areas we have influence over.

Also, this is a mega-duh but it needs to be said. The DoI and Constitution themselves are nothing more than social contracts that have been unusually persistent - and they have persisted so well because they are so adaptable and can grow along with our society's understanding of what it means to live well together.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 08:40:27 AM by AdmiralViscen »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #7088 on: December 25, 2009, 12:09:24 PM »
even though I voted green shinobi, part of me is upset JayDubya wasn't even nominated in the annihilation thread  :'(

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #7089 on: December 25, 2009, 02:54:07 PM »
It's Christmas so I'll keep it short

-your only concrete example of why rights exist is the DoI
-DoI doesn't mean shit in China
-the fact that the Holocaust was allowed to happen shows how holy immutable natural rights are meaningless in real world applications without the support of a society
-your points work out philosophically but at the end of the day it REQUIRES SOCIETY TO CARE and enact that caring into law aka social contract
-i wasn't alive when that contract was formed, the mores and rules and expectations that a society has is determined by a society that is alive and communicating and determining its direction

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7090 on: December 25, 2009, 05:53:09 PM »
@ Mandark - I'm not sure why you think you benefit from restating a point I've already conceded: a right is not something I can pick up and show you.

So the point of the oxygen analogy was what, again?

« Reply #7091 on: December 25, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:05:19 PM by distantmantra »
野球

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7092 on: December 25, 2009, 09:51:30 PM »
distantmantra has lost the will to post :-\
PSP

« Reply #7093 on: December 25, 2009, 10:11:18 PM »
distantmantra has lost the will to post :-\

It was about the Detroit plane situation. I figured it deserved it's own thread.
野球

Oblivion

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7095 on: December 28, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
Just like Obama "inherited" the economy, the war in Iraq, the war in Afghanistan, global warming, health care, etc.
PSP

huckleberry

« Reply #7096 on: December 28, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Just like Obama "inherited" the economy, the war in Iraq, the war in Afghanistan, global warming, health care, etc.

The only thing Obama inherited was his black skin and Muslin bloodlust.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:smug
[close]
wub

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7097 on: December 28, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
I started to read some editorial from a Dubya aide on CNN about health care reform, where he tried to construct the argument that health care sucks because we're all fat and need to make personal choices. He then began to drag out statistics, including infant mortality, to show that our health woes have to do with personal lifestyles and not health care.

He lost me at infant mortality.
PSP

Draft

« Reply #7098 on: December 28, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »
No doubt the newborns of 300lb midwesterners are at a distinct disadvantage mortality wise. That's an arduous journey.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7099 on: December 28, 2009, 06:58:02 PM »
New Republican talking point: Bush 'inherited' 9/11.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

When Dana Perino said that I dismissed it as a slip. Now I'm wondering whether this is calculated.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #7100 on: December 28, 2009, 10:51:33 PM »
New Republican talking point: Bush 'inherited' 9/11.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

When Dana Perino said that I dismissed it as a slip. Now I'm wondering whether this is calculated.

I think it's the right-wing blame passing from Dubya to Bubba becoming so internalized they'll blurt those things out but not even realize how ridiculous what they just said was.
___

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #7101 on: December 29, 2009, 12:10:37 AM »
Those type of Republicans always try to re-write history. They will run a never ending war in trying to rehabilitate the Bush Years by saying it was Obama who messed everything up, the same way they tried to say Clinton messed everything up.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7102 on: December 29, 2009, 02:03:57 AM »
To be fair, Clinton fucked a lot of shit up - we were just too preoccupied letting the good times roll to really take notice.
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7103 on: December 29, 2009, 03:15:10 AM »
Yeah, but all of the shit that Clinton fucked up are Republican deregulatory wet dreams.  Think they're seriously pissed about Gramm-Leach-Bliley or derivatives?  Cause they're NOT.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7104 on: December 29, 2009, 09:27:05 AM »
Clinton also dicked around with terrorist intel and half-assed stuff on that front.
PSP

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7105 on: December 29, 2009, 09:49:20 AM »
Tea baggers are just grassroots people.

It's so surprising to see republican's nurturing people's fears for personal gain.
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7106 on: December 29, 2009, 11:17:25 AM »
Clinton also dicked around with terrorist intel and half-assed stuff on that front.

Well, Bush REALLY inherited that from him for the first 8 months or so of his Presidency.  Gotta clear that brush, dontchaknow!
yar

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7108 on: December 29, 2009, 01:03:36 PM »
what alisyn camerota is saying is that she won't feel safe until the scary black man is either swinging from a noose or fucking her, she can't decide which, but she's in a dither and she'd like the smart black man to help her out a bit
duc

M3wThr33

« Reply #7109 on: December 29, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »
http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/12/fox-and-friends-to-obama-quit-it-with-your-big-words-like-allegedly.php?ref=fpblg

Movie night at my house with my first girlfriend.
Watching Twister.
It's about a wife that's trying to get divorce papers signed by a husband who chases tornadoes to put his balls in them.
At one point the wife breaks down and says "When you said you chased tornadoes, I thought it was a metaphor."

Then my then-girlfriend turns to my entire family and says "Wow. Now she's using the big words."
(She wasn't being sarcastic)
I promptly dumped her after that.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #7110 on: December 29, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »

Remember when he ordered airstrikes on bin Laden just to distract from Monica Lewinsky? Wag the Dog! Wag the Dog!
___

Oblivion

« Reply #7111 on: December 29, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »

Such as?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7112 on: December 29, 2009, 06:36:39 PM »

Such as?

It's not exactly news.

According to Ijaz, the Sudanese government offered the Clinton administration numerous opportunities to arrest bin Laden and those opportunities were met positively by Secretary of State Madeleine Albright but spurned when Susan Rice and counter-terrorism czar Richard Clarke persuaded National Security Advisor Sandy Berger to overrule Albright.

Ijaz’s claims in this regard appeared in numerous Op-Ed pieces including one in the Los Angeles Times [3] and one in the Washington Post co-written with former Ambassador to Sudan Timothy Carney .[4]

Similar allegations have been made by Vanity Fair contributing editor David Rose[5] and Richard Miniter, author of Losing bin Laden, in a November 2003 interview with World.[6]

Several other investigations show an administration beleaguered by scandal, lacking the political wherewithal to enact necessary measures, but severely underestimating the severity of Muslim extremists. That's not entirely on Clinton, because it wasn't as if Bush came riding into the White House with strict anti-terrorism measures.

But you have to look back and see Clinton as a populist leader, who let the Republicans have their way with the free market that ultimately cost us dearly. Then you have to look back and see how shortsighted the administration was when it came to terrorism.

As for the argument that he was only furthering a Republican agenda in Congress, I really don't care. How does that excuse the erosion of security measures put in place to stop the financial collapse we have suffered? I expect the Republicans to act greedy and stupid.
PSP

Oblivion

« Reply #7113 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »
Yeah, I figured you were referring to Clinton losing Bin Laden. Though factcheck.org did a nice write-up on that.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_bill_clinton_pass_up_a_chance_1.html

We have to be careful about engaging in what historians call "Whig history," which is the practice of assuming that historical figures value exactly the same things that we do today. It's a fancy term for those "why didn't someone just shoot Hitler in 1930?" questions that one hears in dorm-room bull sessions. The answer, of course, is that no one knew quite how bad Hitler was in 1930. The same is true of bin Laden in 1996.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7114 on: December 29, 2009, 06:56:29 PM »
Except Ijaz is talking about just a year prior to September 11th, and by that time it was well known that bin Laden was they call in the biz, a terrorist. Saying that we shouldn't fault Clinton for failing to act because he didn't have the foresight to predict September 11th is stupid, because Al Qaeda was a security threat before then. It wasn't like there was this bearded guy having protests in the mountains of Afghanistan; he wanted to fuck some shit up.

As for the relativism to Hitler, the Europeans should be equally criticized for appeasing Hitler when it was becoming apparent that he likely posed a serious threat. I don't buy that argument either.

EDIT: And that article is riddled with the kind of inconsistencies and flip-flopping (on behalf of the politicians, not the writer) that indicate back channel dealings were occuring. There are too many people that have said things were going on behind-the-scenes for it to be a complete fabrication.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:59:41 PM by Willco »
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7115 on: December 29, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »
Willco's crazy goper roots are being exposed!

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7116 on: December 29, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
Not really. 

Willco's position is similar to how Steve Coll portrayed the Clinton administration's attitude towards Bin Laden in Ghost Wars.
MMA

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7117 on: December 29, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »
I'm not a proponent of the Republican rhetoric in regards to the War on Terror (i.e. kill all the brown people), especially after I had my faith in the party firmly shattered by the invasion of Iraq. That said, I think it is silly to excuse Clinton's actions - or lack thereof - simply because Democrats want to uphold this angelic belief that he was the best peace time President we ever had. Clinton fucked up, and the sooner everyone can recognize that, the sooner we can realize the economy and terrorism is not a red/blue state issue.

Also, instead of trying to deny everything, Clinton supporters are better off explaining the lack of response was due to all the hangwringing from the Lewinski scandal. Republicans handicapped the President by creating needless tabloid sensationalism, the administration was cut off the knees, yada yada yada.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7118 on: December 29, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »
i prefer to blame clinton for being a centrist, a capitalist, and a populist
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7119 on: December 29, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »
Sounds like a lot like the current President :smug
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7120 on: December 29, 2009, 10:02:45 PM »
indeed :smug

well, except the populism

he needs that teleprompter for them big words :teehee
duc

huckleberry

« Reply #7121 on: December 29, 2009, 10:07:23 PM »
Sounds like a lot like the current President
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-\
[close]

emoticon fix
wub

Rman

« Reply #7122 on: December 30, 2009, 12:39:37 AM »
Saw this graph on National Geographic.  I love how it makes its point regarding US health care costs and life expectancy versus the rest of the world.

http://blogs.ngm.com/.a/6a00e0098226918833012876674340970c-800wi

"But my Senator says we don't need Healthcare reform!"

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7123 on: December 30, 2009, 01:20:06 AM »
Saw this graph on National Geographic.  I love how it makes its point regarding US health care costs and life expectancy versus the rest of the world.

http://blogs.ngm.com/.a/6a00e0098226918833012876674340970c-800wi

"But my Senator says we don't need Healthcare reform!"

We are subsidizing Mexico's ascent!
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

Saw this on GAF
http://cynthiadavis.net/PDFs/cpr090604_Summer_Food_Program.htm

Folks, the difference between liberals and conservatives

edit: holy shit this woman can't be real, nor an elected official
http://cynthiadavis.net/PDFs/cpr090924.htm

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:21:02 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Tristam

Saw this on GAF
http://cynthiadavis.net/PDFs/cpr090604_Summer_Food_Program.htm

Folks, the difference between liberals and conservatives

edit: holy shit this woman can't be real, nor an elected official
http://cynthiadavis.net/PDFs/cpr090924.htm

In the first link, she claims that government-provided food assistance is not only unnecessary, but dangerous, because obesity is a growing epidemic and people who are starving surely can't become obese!

As for the second link...S.M.H.

Rman

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/opinion/03sun1.html?hp

I read this earlier and I agree that the there should be more action on the regulation front.  Sadly, the dunderheads in Congress are completely out of touch with the severity of the situation and the need for aggressive bank reforms.

Oblivion

In 1997, after three years of tepid growth, the Japanese government stopped its stimulus: it raised a consumption tax, ended a temporary income tax cut, increased social security premiums and nipped recovery in the bud.

Eh? Isn't that what you're supposed to do in a recession?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
With the current outstanding crop of congressional leadership, we'll probably get out of the recession about a year longer than what was needed if we did it the right way.
🍆🍆

Gruco

« Reply #7130 on: January 03, 2010, 05:32:35 PM »
Stop stimulus and raise taxes in a recession?

Generally, no.

Oblivion

« Reply #7131 on: January 03, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
Stop stimulus and raise taxes in a recession?

Generally, no.

Well yeah, not the stimulus stuff, but yes on the taxes. I recall seeing quite a few instances when Paul Krugman kept complaining that the U.S. in the only country in the world that doesn't raise taxes during a recession.

Gruco

« Reply #7132 on: January 03, 2010, 06:28:38 PM »
Can you point me to those articles then?  Because I've definitely seen him approve some of the higher multiplier tax cuts such as payroll tax holidays.  The general goal of any Keynesian response is to grow aggregate demand.  This means more spending, less taxes, particularly stuff like payroll or consumption taxes.

I'm generally all for raising taxes in this country, but it's not a Keynesian response to recession.

There are a number of low-marginal-utility type moves that can be done that will have a lower impact, but it doesn't look like that describes what the Japanese were doing.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Yeah, raising any taxes that predominantly hit the middle and lower classes (like a consumption tax) is a pretty sure fire way to screw up a recovery from a recession.  Of course you'd expect a bunch of degenerates like the Japanese to make that mistake.
yar

Phoenix Dark

Yeah, raising any taxes that predominantly hit the middle and lower classes (like a consumption tax) is a pretty sure fire way to screw up a recovery from a recession.  Of course you'd expect a bunch of degenerates like the Japanese to make that mistake.

and democrats. cap n trade amirite :smug

Oblivion

« Reply #7135 on: January 03, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »
Can you point me to those articles then?  Because I've definitely seen him approve some of the higher multiplier tax cuts such as payroll tax holidays.  The general goal of any Keynesian response is to grow aggregate demand.  This means more spending, less taxes, particularly stuff like payroll or consumption taxes.

I'm generally all for raising taxes in this country, but it's not a Keynesian response to recession.

There are a number of low-marginal-utility type moves that can be done that will have a lower impact, but it doesn't look like that describes what the Japanese were doing.

Yeah, I'll search for em, but I think he was referring to raising taxes on the top 1% only, iirc.

Human Snorenado

• Icon

Yeah, except the bill that passed the house would cost the average family about $80 a year... and would generate a shit ton of jobs.
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer

Yeah, except the bill that passed the house would cost the average family about $80 a year... and would generate a shit ton of jobs.

There was some nice FUD ads from Nebraska a few months back that insisted the cost of gas would go up 97% if cap and trade were passed.  Then it showed a white family standing outside of their suburban home.  Could a suburban family really afford $4 a gallon gas.  I think not.
🍆🍆

Brehvolution

©ZH

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer

It seems like I've moved farther to the left from 2007.
🍆🍆