Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870846 times)

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #11460 on: November 30, 2010, 10:52:03 PM »
Weekend visits that aren't with Muckhole. Shibas are hyper. I don't want to be around that all the time.

Trips to see Malek would be fun. Living in the US is getting worse day by day. I'm just postponing the inevitable.

Weekend trips to Winnipeg and Saskatchewan.  Ya, you'll be making the most of life in Canada.  ::)

On the other hand, once you experience life in Montreal with Mojo, you'll probably never want to leave there.
MMA

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #11462 on: November 30, 2010, 11:43:30 PM »
Weekend visits that aren't with Muckhole. Shibas are hyper. I don't want to be around that all the time.

Trips to see Malek would be fun. Living in the US is getting worse day by day. I'm just postponing the inevitable.

Weekend trips to Winnipeg and Saskatchewan.  Ya, you'll be making the most of life in Canada.  ::)

On the other hand, once you experience life in Montreal with Mojo, you'll probably never want to leave there.

It'd be new to me.

I only excluded you cause my waifu and I enjoy some mild contraband and didn't want to get you involved.  :ninja

We'd enjoy plenty of the modern facets available.  :-*
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #11463 on: December 01, 2010, 12:30:14 AM »
I call Boogie's soon to be man-pile sweat stained futon.  Get me out of this place! 

I wonder if, over the next two years, there will be any repercussions on the Republicans for, you know, REFUSING TO GOVERN.  Considering our awesome media, I'm guessing the answer is absolutely not.
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11464 on: December 01, 2010, 06:44:51 AM »
LOL, you guys aren't going to do shit.  You're just going to stay here and piss and moan.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11465 on: December 01, 2010, 01:27:30 PM »
I've given up anyway. Being a liberal is like being a Detroit Lions fan: endless disappointment. Best thing to do is become a passive observer and not get mad every time Obama is called for holding and false starts

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #11466 on: December 01, 2010, 01:49:52 PM »
i'm going back to anthropology to explain the distinguished mentally-challenged of america. when the herd gets stressed -- right now, it is stressed by economic factors and apparently TERROR -- the herd prefers to kill the weak and the sick, viewing them as dangerous to the collective. hence the bizarre appeal of austerity!
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11467 on: December 01, 2010, 01:59:17 PM »
looks like the pay freeze has worked in bringing republicans to the table for compromise
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/dadt-no-more-republicans-plan-to-block-all-dem-initiatives.php?ref=fpa

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11468 on: December 01, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
I emailed and called both my Senators this morning. :usa

I asked them to support the DREAM Act though.  Sorry, homos.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11469 on: December 01, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
Kinda mixed on the DREAM Act. On one hand it's a great idea to give people green cards for being good citizens/students. On the other hand wouldn't it only increase illegal immigration?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11470 on: December 01, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »
I doubt it.  It is targeting children and it'll just be a cherry on top for people who are already planning to come IMO.  And I can't be against something giving citizenship based on real merit and to people who have proven that they're willing to work for it.  And anything to encourage more people to graduate too.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11471 on: December 01, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »
I emailed and called both my Senators this morning. :usa

I asked them to support the DREAM Act though.  Sorry, homos.

I did too! *high five*

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here's the email I sent:

Dear Senator,

As a registered Republican, immigration is a topic which I believe is quite serious to this entire nation. There are many bills and ideas currently being considered on this topic, but I am contacting you specifically to speak about the DREAM Act, which is currently in the Senate.

While I do not believe that we should be giving blanket handouts to illegal immigrants, I am very interested in the DREAM Act and what it offers. Rather than continue to punish children and young people for the actions of their parents, I believe that this act can help them to lead better lives and help assuage the problems of illegal immigration faced by our own country.

By being good citizens, by excelling in education, or serving in this nation's armed forces, surely these young people, illegal though they may be, show a willingness to conform to our laws and beliefs. Is it fair for us then to merely send them packing back to their home countries? I do not believe so, I believe that if they are willing to work hard and willing to integrate themselves into American society, then they should be granted something from us for their struggles.

As I said, I do not believe in blanket pardons or open borders, but I don't see this as either of those things. The DREAM Act will allow them to strive towards something other than the lowest paying jobs and the eternal stigma of being a criminal. If they're willing to earn there residency, in one way or another, then we should be willing to give it to them. In so doing, we help to foster individuals and families that believe in bettering themselves and in what American stands for. At the end of the day, isn't that what all of us want?

Please consider voting for the DREAM Act.
[close]
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11472 on: December 01, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »
*high five*

Yours sounds so much like mine including starting with "As a registered Republican..."

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11473 on: December 01, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
*high five*

Yours sounds so much like mine including starting with "As a registered Republican..."

They've got search applets that look for things like "As a registered Democrat" or "Being a liberal" in all their emails. Those get redirected to the spam folder.
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11474 on: December 01, 2010, 04:20:21 PM »
:lol

Well I just know better in Texas.  Plus, I'm actually not lying.  I registered as a Republican last time.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11475 on: December 01, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »
Kinda mixed on the DREAM Act. On one hand it's a great idea to give people green cards for being good citizens/students. On the other hand wouldn't it only increase illegal immigration?

If it did, who gives a rip?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11476 on: December 01, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »

Well I just know better in Texas.  Plus, I'm actually not lying.  I registered as a Republican last time.

It's a good attention-getter to start out with. That way they know from line one that they're hearing from someone in their own party, instead of somebody looking in from the outside.
dog

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #11477 on: December 01, 2010, 04:33:19 PM »
Blue collar Americans who are currently unemployed?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11478 on: December 01, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »
They're stealing our jerbs?

It's a good attention-getter to start out with. That way they know from line one that they're hearing from someone in their own party, instead of somebody looking in from the outside.
Yeah that's why I initially threw it in.  Every Republican I know IRL here doesn't listen to opinions unless it's from another Republican.  Shit, same with all the Democrats I know IRL. 

:gloomy Politics :gloomy

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11479 on: December 01, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »
:usacry Politics. :usacry
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11480 on: December 01, 2010, 11:44:58 PM »
Well thank Christ that the rich are going to get to keep their tax cuts.  All of the rich.  All of their tax cuts.

I think I want to negotiate my next pay raise with Obama.  "I'm gonna need a million to stay."  "A million a year?  That seems kind of steep."  "No broseph, a million an hour.  These packages aren't gonna ship themselves."  "Good point!"
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11481 on: December 01, 2010, 11:54:53 PM »
Oh thank God, I was worried there for a while.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11482 on: December 02, 2010, 12:42:54 AM »

Giving illegal immigrants even more incentive to enter the country isn't a bad idea? I'm wondering from a fence sitting position, dunno which side of the issue to jump onto. Perhaps not the best analogy for this...

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #11483 on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »
Our newly elected repub Tom Reed(who replaced Eric Massa) is on the front page today boasting that he voted against extending unemployment cause it added to the deficit. Then he goes on to say he wants to keep tax cuts for the rich cause it would be class warfare not to.

Just another cookie cutter repub.
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11484 on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »

Giving illegal immigrants even more incentive to enter the country isn't a bad idea? I'm wondering from a fence sitting position, dunno which side of the issue to jump onto. Perhaps not the best analogy for this...
To be honest, I don't think the DREAM Act matters to anyone who's not already here.  It's intended for children who are illegal and didn't have a choice and I can totally sympathize.  Your parents dragged you here.  Their parents dragged them here.  They didn't have a choice.  Most of them are pretty damn Americanized and don't have any real roots in their home country.  I don't see a problem with the DREAM Act at all.  It seems like more of a proper way or earning citizenship than simply taking a test and paying a lot of fucking money.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11485 on: December 02, 2010, 10:39:40 AM »
Our newly elected repub Tom Reed(who replaced Eric Massa) is on the front page today boasting that he voted against extending unemployment cause it added to the deficit. Then he goes on to say he wants to keep tax cuts for the rich cause it would be class warfare not to.

>:(
dog

Beardo

« Reply #11486 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:53 PM »
Sooo... Is anyone actually surprised by this?

Fed aid in financial crisis went beyond U.S. banks to industry, foreign firms
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/01/AR2010120106870.html

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11487 on: December 02, 2010, 12:25:39 PM »
So McCain says Congress should wait until the Pentagon's DADT study is completed before acting.  Now that the study is completed and shows that the majority of soldiers support its repeal, he calls the study flawed.  ::) 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11488 on: December 02, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
Sooo... Is anyone actually surprised by this?

Fed aid in financial crisis went beyond U.S. banks to industry, foreign firms
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/01/AR2010120106870.html

I don't think anyone's surprised and to be honest I don't have a problem with it.  I can see how some people would feel misled though.  But I'm also going to assume the people who feel misled are the ones who aren't really familiar with what was going on during the fall of 2008 and how far it really reached and what it affected.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11489 on: December 02, 2010, 12:31:07 PM »
Lieberman looking badass on cspan. Never thought I'd see the day :rock

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11490 on: December 02, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »
looking bad ass how?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11491 on: December 02, 2010, 12:35:30 PM »
DADT hearing, bringing the heat with comparisons to racial integration. Even Scott Brown is sounding sensible

....all while McCain is literally slumped back in his chair looking pissed

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11492 on: December 02, 2010, 12:38:43 PM »
McCain is just pissed because he knows the first place the gays will go in the military will be the Navy.  And all those jokes he heard will be true. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11493 on: December 02, 2010, 12:42:53 PM »
I kinda wonder though: if McCain had won, this seems like the type of glorious crusade he'd support.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11494 on: December 02, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
McCain likes being that underdog fighting the good fight so who knows. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11495 on: December 02, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »
Ha, the hearing adjured and McCain bolted from the room as Mullen walked up to shake hands with Levin, who had been sitting next to McCain  :lol

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #11496 on: December 02, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »
We need to get a Republican in the White House to ensure that nothing like TARP is proposed ever again!

Oblivion

« Reply #11497 on: December 06, 2010, 07:24:24 PM »
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/12/6/926200/-President-Obama-announces-deal-to-continue-Bush-tax-policy

What'd I say, people.  :fbm :fbm :fbm

edit: we really need an Obama-deal-with-it gif.

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #11498 on: December 06, 2010, 07:28:33 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
Real talk
« Reply #11499 on: December 06, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »
Obama > Oblivion

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11500 on: December 06, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
Yeah, but Fallout 3 > Obama.
yar

Oblivion

Re: Real talk
« Reply #11501 on: December 06, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
Obama > Oblivion

So you think this is a good idea?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11502 on: December 06, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »
Nah, but it's probably really the best deal they can get.  Honestly, getting unemployment benefits extended 13 months is probably better than they hoped for.

It does kind of fuck Obama in 2012. "Vote for me and we'll roll back those Bush tax cuts on the rich... FOR REALS THIS TIME!"  But at this rate my dog could probably beat him in 2012.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11503 on: December 06, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
Oblivion:  Compared to what?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11504 on: December 06, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
Daniels Patreus 2012

Oblivion

« Reply #11505 on: December 06, 2010, 07:47:28 PM »
Nah, but it's probably really the best deal they can get.  Honestly, getting unemployment benefits extended 13 months is probably better than they hoped for.

It does kind of fuck Obama in 2012. "Vote for me and we'll roll back those Bush tax cuts on the rich... FOR REALS THIS TIME!"  But at this rate my dog could probably beat him in 2012.

Yeah, I'm glad at least that this is the first compromise that involved the dems getting something in return.

Oblivion:  Compared to what?

Compared to say, standing firm and let the republicans risk making the tax cuts expire for everyone? And even if that happened, Obama could bring about new tax cuts for the middle class that would differentiate them from Bush's tax cuts (they'd be the Obama tax cuts).

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11506 on: December 06, 2010, 07:49:35 PM »
Compared to say, standing firm and let the republicans risk making the tax cuts expire for everyone? And even if that happened, Obama could bring about new tax cuts for the middle class that would differentiate them from Bush's tax cuts (they'd be the Obama tax cuts).

Rman

« Reply #11507 on: December 06, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »

Honestly, most people don't really care about the tax cuts in the scheme of things.  This is just another failure of representative gov't.  The Republicans keep pushing these legislative priorities that one cares about.  And no one cares about the deficit, which the Republicans have cleverly took on in the recent campaign. 

They care about jobs.  If the job situation gets better no one is beating Obama.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:56:34 PM by Rman »

Oblivion

« Reply #11508 on: December 06, 2010, 07:55:32 PM »
I'd just like to point out that I'm slightly intoxicated. Just for the record.

Mandark

• Icon
"That's your plan, Ray? Get her!?"
« Reply #11509 on: December 06, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »
First, letting all the cuts expire would be bad for the economy.  Monetary policy up against the lower bound, contractionary fiscal policy, blah blah blah.

Second, he'd sign a new tax bill without cuts for the highest rate?  Passing it through a GOP House, where the GOP leadership will introduce it after it's been voted on by a GOP-majority committee?  Then in the Senate, where Republicans would break ranks to get it past the filibuster?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11510 on: December 06, 2010, 08:50:19 PM »

I was at first wondering if you were agreeing with him but yeah I agree with your last post.  It would be much harder to pass a bill 6 months from now that actually eliminates the tax cuts for the rich.  This is just the best deal possible for the next couple years.

I liked how much the president emphasized this being a bipartisan deal.  That's like a dirty word now.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11511 on: December 06, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »
If anything the deal shows neither side gives a shit about the deficit. I like the pay roll tax idea. It's interesting that every democratic idea put into the compromise stimulates an economy, while every single one put in by republicans doesn't - and only benefits the rich.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11512 on: December 07, 2010, 06:41:27 AM »
Nobody actually cares about the deficit.  It's just a good talking point.  It's like pork spending.  People can talk about cutting it all they want but in reality, if congresspeople don't indulge in pork spending, their constituents will piss and moan about how they're not getting anything back or how their representative doesn't care about them.  Shit like that.
🍆🍆

Brehvolution

« Reply #11513 on: December 07, 2010, 09:05:52 AM »
Here is the repub plan to reduce the deficit:

Everyone who makes less than $100,000 a year must pay the govt. $10,000 this year. It won't pay off the whole tab, but it's a start.
©ZH

Beardo

« Reply #11514 on: December 07, 2010, 10:06:54 AM »
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/celebrity/palin-success-triggered-fcc-complaints

DECEMBER 6--In the days after Bristol Palin was voted into the finals of “Dancing with the Stars,” viewers from across the country wrote to the Federal Communications Commission accusing the ABC show of everything from running a “payola type program” to “encouraging and promoting teen pregnancy.”

huckleberry

« Reply #11515 on: December 07, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »
Obama made a goddam good case for his positions in the press briefing today...rather impressive.
wub

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11516 on: December 07, 2010, 04:59:52 PM »
Elizabeth Edwards passed

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #11517 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »
it really is terrible how her marriage suffered the last few years of her life.  john is such a huge piece of fucking shit.
pcp

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11518 on: December 07, 2010, 08:02:17 PM »
vote on the dream act occurs tomorrow.  all those emails and phone calls better have done something

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11519 on: December 07, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »
John Edwards attending that funeral is gonna be the most awkward thing ever

Rip