Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870485 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #11700 on: December 30, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »
anyone been following the trial of former israli pres. who just got convicted of rape?  how the hell did that happen?  it's rare enough for someone to actually be convicted of rape, and it's even rarer for such a high govt offical to be convicted of anything, so the fact that this really happened just blows me away.
pcp

Oblivion

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #11701 on: December 31, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11702 on: December 31, 2010, 11:05:42 PM »
Don't you have comics that criticize only Republicans? :uguu
🍆🍆

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #11703 on: January 01, 2011, 05:27:08 AM »
I love the shit out of TMW.

In other news I'm actually kind of proud of my state's senator Lisa Murkowski, who is still a reliable conservative, but voted for repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell.  And the people of Alaska who choose an actual politician over a sentient talking points list.  I would have been more pleased if her democratic opponent won, but hey, small gains are better then none, right?

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11704 on: January 01, 2011, 01:41:34 PM »
Joe Miller's lack of class made me lol. Wonder if it's a preview of how Palin would handle a presidential loss

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11705 on: January 01, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
In the defense of Joe Miller, in spite of being a piece of shit, being one of the few senate candidates to be beaten out by a write-in you beat out in the primary in the history of the US would have to be very humiliating.  I don't know how I would react.
🍆🍆

Oblivion

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11707 on: January 05, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »
I thought her Daily Show segment was great - her recent list of accomplishments is pretty admirable.
___

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11708 on: January 05, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »
Republicans got hot bitches on lock down. That's part of the strategy. Same with Fox and bimbo blondes.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11709 on: January 06, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »
"Clearly, means testing. Clearly, retirement age, over time. What you’re saying to these younger people is –- who, by the way, I think, barring disasters, are going to live to possibly old ages, as we have always thought of it…They will live to be more than 100, because, again, barring accidents or something, or war, well over. They should. They’ll be replacing body parts like we do tires. If you ask a young person who’s paying any attention to this, “How old do you expect to be, and how long would you like to be a vital working person?” they’re not going to find this offensive. Thirty years from now, you might work at 68, 70, 72…."
http://thinkprogress.org/2011/01/05/daniels-robots/

:fbm

oh god
[youtube=560,345]x93UsezYvrE[/youtube]
:fbm :fbm
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:25:24 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11710 on: January 06, 2011, 01:52:13 AM »
Yes, because the guy sweeping the floor at the local Wal-Mart is definitely going to be able to afford all those organ replacements!
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11711 on: January 06, 2011, 02:55:58 AM »
hopefully they'll be as cheap as tires. oh wait

Phoenix Dark

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #11714 on: January 06, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
People who hate government are completely incapable of running it, who would have figured.  In related news, humans breathe oxygen and titties are awesome.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11715 on: January 06, 2011, 06:06:18 PM »
"Well, there's plenty of blame to go around, so let's just forget about that and go ahead and elect me in 2012."
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11716 on: January 07, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »
So right now I'm despairing about the prospects of anything meaningful being done on either global warming or Israel-Palestine before either of those situations pass the point where they become fundamentally irreparable.

Someone post a dumb Palin quote to distract me with amusement/rage.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #11717 on: January 07, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »
So right now I'm despairing about the prospects of anything meaningful being done on either global warming or Israel-Palestine before either of those situations pass the point where they become fundamentally irreparable.

Someone post a dumb Palin quote to distract me with amusement/rage.

I agree on both points.

However, as cynical as it is to say, Israel/Palestine is a regional issue that, if unresolved, will not seriously affect the wider prosperity of the world.  Its continued suffering is a human tragedy, but not a global one.

I agree on the climate change one, however.  Over the past two years, I have read a lot on the topic of both resource scarcity and climate change.  On the former, the books by Thomas Homer-Dixon, and Jeff Rubin's "Your world is about to get a lot smaller", and the latter, the crusade by my favourite International Affairs columnist, Gwynne Dyer, scare the everloving shit out of me.  Read and listen to the output of those three individuals, and you will become very depressed and scared about the political process and likelilihood of humanity and our prospects for coming out of the challenges of the early 21st century with  industrial civilization intact.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:42:50 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11718 on: January 07, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »
blah blah blah I'm about to shovel a foot of snow.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11719 on: January 08, 2011, 12:03:12 AM »
*Googles the authors that Boogie mentioned*

Great, now I'm extra-depressed!  I hope you're happy, you jerk.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #11720 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:25 AM »
*Googles the authors that Boogie mentioned*

Great, now I'm extra-depressed!  I hope you're happy, you jerk.

I apologize for nothing! 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:48:52 AM by Boogie »
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11721 on: January 09, 2011, 03:19:24 PM »
He's right, though.  It is.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #11722 on: January 09, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »
You really think the Arab/Israeli conflict is a regional issue?  Really?

Ah, I get to respond to this while pimping one of the authors I mentioned on the previous page:

http://www.gwynnedyer.com/articles/Gwynne%20Dyer%20article_%20%20The%20Importance%20of%20the%20Middle%20East.txt

Basically, the Arab/Israeli conflict has had  little in the way of truly global impact.  And even less so in the past 20 years since the end of the Cold War.  At least before that point, it was seen as one of the proxy war-areas between the US and the Soviets, but even then, there was only a couple moments where things had truly global implications.  I would say the Suez Crisis applies, as it was a major diplomatic fuckup for the West, forcing the US to go against its own allies at a time when it would have preferred to put pressure on the Soviets for the Hungary situation.

And apart from that, probably the 1973 Yom Kippur War, as there was a bit of great power clash in that one, until the US was able to make the Soviets blink.

Unless you're tying the Arab/Israeli conflict in with "The War on Terror", in which case, I think that's a stretch.  Al-Qaeda et al referring to Palestine strikes me simply as a propaganda talking point, and not a true motivator for terrorism.  And Islamic terrorism in general is overblown in importance anyway.  It's not an existential threat to the West.

http://www.gwynnedyer.com/articles/Gwynne%20Dyer%20article_%20%20The%20Great%20Islamic%20Threat.txt

The worst-case scenario for the Arab-Israeli conflict, in 2011, is......the Palestinian people continuing to suffer.  There isn't even the likelihood of a regional war, as there is no state willing or able to challenge Israel's military dominance, let alone something that has effects that spill over into other regions.

But go ahead, make your case for why The Arab/Israel conflict has global implications, other than the American media/political establishment seeming to think it does.  And other than "Domino Theory" for the 21st century.
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11723 on: January 10, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »
Boogie is like old-school Loki: a poster you can reliably troll into a multi-paragraph response with just a throwaway line.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11724 on: January 10, 2011, 04:08:25 AM »
Israel's the new South Africa.  It gets a lot of attention globally as a moral issue, but only neighbors like Egypt and Jordan really have to deal with the consequences in a direct way.

« Reply #11725 on: January 12, 2011, 06:29:07 PM »
Gov. Quinn promises to quickly sign Ill. 66% tax hike

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110112/ap_on_bi_ge/us_illinois_taxes

Auction off Chicago, problem solved?
+1

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #11726 on: January 12, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »
Boogie is like old-school Loki: a poster you can reliably troll into a multi-paragraph response with just a throwaway line.

One message board vice at a time.  This year's resolution is to cut down on my fisking.
MMA

Stoney Mason

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11728 on: January 14, 2011, 05:42:03 PM »
lol so obvious.

Oblivion

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11730 on: January 14, 2011, 11:14:28 PM »
66% derp derp

this can't be life  :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11731 on: January 14, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Conservative politicians and reporters misrepresenting the truth? Why, I never!
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #11732 on: January 15, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I was waiting for someone to talk about this.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-maher-tea-party-founding-fathers/

Mandark

• Icon

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #11734 on: January 17, 2011, 11:09:55 AM »
I was waiting for someone to talk about this.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-maher-tea-party-founding-fathers/

I know a lot here don't care for Maher, but one thing he is very good at showing how funny the brutal truth is.
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #11735 on: January 17, 2011, 04:14:16 PM »
[youtube=560,345]UhMepzqJvIw[/youtube]
spoiler (click to show/hide)
    She's a cold blast from Alaska
    Ingrained with common sense
    She's not a Harvard lawyer
    But she knew what the Founders meant
    A cold blast from the north
    That freezes Congress in their tracks
    With God and the Tea Party
    She's gonna take it back

[Chorus]
    Sarah Palin, she won't listen to their bunk
    Sarah Palin's comin' south to hunt some skunk
    Sarah Palin, she'll throw them all in jail
    And when she gets to Washington
    It'll be cold as hell

Sarah has the wisdom
    To walk through an open door
    She is stomping out the wretches
    Where the evil lines are stored
    She will scrub the floors and sweep the riff raff into cracks
    With God and the Tea Party
    She's gonna take it back

[Chorus]

[Spoken]
    Congress patted themselves on the back
    For some new bill they just passed
    I watch as my freedom slowly runs through an hourglass
    They think they spend our money better than we do
    But they can talk until they're blue and old
    'Cause if they ever gave us anything
    They always wanted something in return
    Sarah knows.

Sarah's marching home
[close]

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11736 on: January 17, 2011, 04:28:36 PM »
came to post that. holy fuck

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #11737 on: January 17, 2011, 04:33:51 PM »
it's like the white Stagger Lee

Cracker Lee
Tonya

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11738 on: January 17, 2011, 11:03:14 PM »

:bow2

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Dickie Dee

« Reply #11739 on: January 17, 2011, 11:19:44 PM »
That Sarah Palin Battle Hymn is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.
___

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
乱学者

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11741 on: January 18, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11742 on: January 18, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/18/joe-lieberman-may-resign_n_810538.html

:bow2

Maybe we can get actual dem in there instead of the current jack ass.

Despite his voting record which was mostly decent I can't stand Lieberman. And there are few politicians I have such earnest disgust for.

Brehvolution

« Reply #11743 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »
And a dem with a wife that doesn't work for one of the nations largest health care insurers.
©ZH

Oblivion

« Reply #11744 on: January 19, 2011, 09:12:33 AM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:32:15 PM by Oblivion »

Himu

« Reply #11745 on: January 20, 2011, 02:29:07 AM »
Texas is cutting 5 billion from public education  :-\

fuck my home state
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #11746 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:28 AM »
On the plus side, maybe this'll reduce Texas' buying power for text books and keep them from polluting the rest of the country's educational system.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11747 on: January 20, 2011, 02:42:17 AM »
Texas is basically putting every conservative policy to work to catastrophic results.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11748 on: January 20, 2011, 02:56:47 AM »
From the latest Brooks op-ed:

Practicing a piece of music for four hours requires focused attention, but it is nowhere near as cognitively demanding as a sleepover with 14-year-old girls.

Oh?  Do tell, David.

Himu

« Reply #11749 on: January 20, 2011, 02:58:56 AM »
Texas is basically putting every conservative policy to work to catastrophic results.

front row seats to the Americapocalypse
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #11750 on: January 20, 2011, 05:53:55 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/19/onion-news-network-palin-_n_811075.html

"Why stop at a border with Canada. Let's build a wall on the east and west side too"

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Beardo

« Reply #11751 on: January 20, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »
Texas is cutting 5 billion from public education  :-\

fuck my home state

I hear the California school system is working out swell! They are probably rolling in $100 bills.

Beardo

« Reply #11752 on: January 20, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »

This quotes is hilarious when you think about what state you are posting this from.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11753 on: January 20, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »

This quotes is hilarious when you think about what state you are posting this from.

Yea, that state where democrat and republican presidents alongside the car industry helped destroy the manufacturing sector

Beardo

« Reply #11754 on: January 20, 2011, 12:23:47 PM »

Yea, that state where democrat and republican presidents alongside the car industry helped destroy the manufacturing sector
::)
Okay Michael Moore.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11755 on: January 20, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »
Michael Moore :piss2

Lets see how the nerd Rick Snyder does in my state. I know my parents are glad to hear he plans on shitcanning the Michigan Business Tax, but I dunno

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11756 on: January 20, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
reince priebus has one of those faces that make mothers check sex offender databases when they see him in their neighborhood.

:teehee

Dickie Dee

« Reply #11757 on: January 20, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »
reince priebus has one of those faces that make mothers check sex offender databases when they see him in their neighborhood.

:teehee

Better if all vowels are removed without bias, leaving

ReiNCe PRieBuS -> RNC PR BS
___

Brehvolution

« Reply #11758 on: January 20, 2011, 04:59:29 PM »
It's funny the reaction Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen is getting the the lie by Republicans that the Affordable Care Act is a "government takeover" of health care is similar to the techniques used Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels.

My only take from it is that only righties and fox pundits are allowed to say that stuff.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11759 on: January 21, 2011, 12:52:41 AM »
Nazi comparisons should be off limits period; the dude was out of order. Although it certainly is funny hearing Fox News beat the outrage drum over it when they ignored all the Nazi comparisons coming from the right last year.