Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1880786 times)

Oblivion

And sleeping. That's 8 extra hours right there that he could be working, but I guess he's just too lazy.  ::)

A black guy being lazy. Never seen that before.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Let's lay off another 100,000 teachers

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
It sure would be nice to have someone in charge that cared bout job growth... I mean in between golf games and talk show appearances.

Did Beardo just call out for more Keynesian policies  :o

There's hope for your little brain
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:37:49 AM by Mamacint »
___

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
It sure would be nice to have someone in charge that cared bout job growth... I mean in between golf games and talk show appearances.

Here, Let me Google that for you!

Bet he's face deep in watermelon the whole time too
___

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

Yes, all he needs to do is flip the cover on the "Job Growth" switch and finally hit it! I mean, why hasn't he hit the "Job Growth" button yet?! Mannn, economies be so easy.
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
http://www.good.is/post/half-of-americans-getting-government-aid-swear-they-ve-never-used-government-programs/

Totally in favor of removing the mortgage interest deduction by the way.

"Well, yes, I have taken government assistance, but I really needed it! All those other people are just being lazy!"
dog

Phoenix Dark

Yes, all he needs to do is flip the cover on the "Job Growth" switch and finally hit it! I mean, why hasn't he hit the "Job Growth" button yet?! Mannn, economies be so easy.

we just need to cut taxes and spending!

Oblivion

http://www.good.is/post/half-of-americans-getting-government-aid-swear-they-ve-never-used-government-programs/

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

If he simply hit the 'cut spending' switch, the jobs growth would soon follow.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer

"Well, yes, I have taken government assistance, but I really needed it! All those other people are just being lazy!"

It's the "keep the government out of my medicare" losers.
🍆🍆

Oblivion

Here's the Senate proposal for raising the debt ceiling:

Senate Democrats have drafted a sweeping debt-reduction plan that would slice $4 trillion from projected borrowing over the next decade without touching the expensive health and retirement programs targeted by President Obama.

Instead, Senate Democrats are proposing to stabilize borrowing through sharp cuts at the Pentagon and other government agencies, as well as $2 trillion in new taxes, primarily on families earning more than $1 million year, according to a copy of the plan obtained by The Washington Post.

Under the blueprint, the top income tax rate would rise to 39.6 percent for individuals earning more than $500,000 a year and families earning more than $1 million. That group, which constitutes the nation’s richest 1 percent of households, would also pay a 20 percent rate on capital gains and dividends, rather than the 15 percent rate now in effect.

In addition to raising rates for the very wealthiest families, the blueprint proposes to obtain fresh revenue by targeting offshore tax havens and corporate shelters. It would also scale back the array of tax breaks and deductions known as tax expenditures, perhaps by focusing on the wealthiest households, which claim an average of $205,000 in tax breaks each year on average income of $1.1 million.

The blueprint would take nearly $900 billion from the Pentagon over the next decade — the same amount recommended by Obama’s fiscal commission. It would slice more than $350 billion from domestic programs. And it would produce interest savings of nearly $600 billion attributable to reduced borrowing.

Only about $80 billion would be cut from Medicare, Medicaid and other federal health programs, and nothing from Social Security. But even without touching those programs, the plan would stabilize borrowing by 2014 and begin pushing the national debt down as a share of the economy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/senate-democrats-draft-debt-reduction-plan/2011/07/08/gIQAFQbS4H_print.html

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
New hikes on the wealthy, Pentagon cuts, and rise in capital gains? Oh my!
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
"We don't need to cut the defense budget!  It's cash-strapped enough as it is!"

Sounds like a good enough plan.  I hope that they stick with this plan throughout the timeframes given.  Will there be anything in place to guarantee that these cuts will be made over a decade or is it just kind of a "hey, trust us guy" kind of thing.
🍆🍆

Oblivion

Also love Bill Maher's new rules yesterday

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Phoenix Dark

That dem proposal looks good but they wouldn't pass that if they had a super majority/controlled the house. Still, I like the idea of putting everything on the table before taking things off/compromising.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I have low expectations in general.  The Republicans will screech at any kind of tax increase (or defense budget slashing) and Obama is too spineless to back up his own political party.  In the end, we'll get some hack job of a compromise that nobody will be remotely satisfied with, except the Obama cult set shooting a load in their pants, convinced that Obama and only Obama was capable enough to pull off this kind of deal, while everyone else continues to take it up the ass.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:51:49 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
The obvious answer to our problems is that the rich in this country aren't rich enough.
dog

Phoenix Dark

Wouldn't the Lannisters and Baratheons be tax and spend liberals, and Ned Stark=Ronald Reagan? :teehee

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
The obvious answer to our problems is that the rich in this country aren't rich enough.

Actually, it does seem like successful American economies (which have pretty much been bubble economies since the 1980s) require a cult of personality of some of the super rich.  People who go all in on the worship of people like Ken Lay, Warren Buffett, or Lloyd Blankfein: where people talk endlessly about how smart these people are and how they manage to seemingly bend the laws of physics in their successes.  Then we get the popped bubble all over our faces to have it happen all over again.

At this time we really don't worship anyone but I'm sure there are all kinds of bubble schemes attempting to hatch so we can re-enter the cycle.  The strategery of Democrats for 2012 almost hinges on it.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

Boehner rejects Obama's 4 trillion spending cut deal

Obama had proposed to Republicans a "grand bargain" that accomplished a host of individual things that are unpopular on their own, but that just might pass as a huge package jammed through Congress with default looming. Obama offered to put Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid cuts on the table in exchange for a tax hike of roughly $100 billion per year over 10 years. Meanwhile, government spending would be cut by roughly three times that amount. It's no small irony that the party's dogmatic opposition to tax increases is costing the GOP its best opportunity to roll back social programs it has long targeted.

Republicans are now banking on a smaller deficit reduction deal that would still make major cuts, somewhere in the range of $2 trillion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/09/john-boehner-debt-ceiling_n_893952.html

who didn't see this coming
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:31:05 PM by Phoenix Dark »

AdmiralViscen

This shit is so fucking distinguished mentally-challenged I don't even wanna look at it.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:07:04 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Himu

China emerges as a world power

Beijing (CNN) -- The top U.S. military officer declared Sunday that China "has arrived as a world power," and that previous U.S. descriptions of China as a "rising power" are now a thing of the past.

"China today is a different country than it was 10 years ago, and it certainly will continue to change over the next 10 years," Mullen told the audience at Renmin University. "It is no longer a rising power. It has, in fact, arrived as a world power."

In January, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton described China as a "rising power."

"The United States is changing as well," Mullen added in his remarks, "as are the context and global order in which both our countries operate. I believe that our dialogue needs to keep pace with these changes. It needs to move from working out the particular issues and conditions of our bilateral relationship to working together to meet broader -- and common -- goals we share."

The chairman touched on some specific concerns, including the growing territorial disputes over the South China Sea and its potentially huge reserves of oil and natural gas.

"It is certainly the United States' expectation that these be worked out by countries ... in a responsible way, so that a specific incident does not rise to a level of miscalculation which could become very dangerous and get out of control," Mullen said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/10/china.mullen/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
IYKYK

Beardo

[youtube=560,345]OCcYSRACwx0[/youtube]

Liberals lining up to ban books in chicago. (You know, for everyones good.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:lol What a bunch of butt hurt fegs.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

I think the President's goal is exactly what he says it is: to do Big Things. I just don't think it matters much what the substance of those Big Things are.
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/austerity-aka-eat-your-peas.html

I'm watching the press conference now, and while it's good to hear a more aggressive tone from Obama using the bully pulpit, some of the things he's saying just don't add up. "If you really care about Medicare you'd want to make changes." Yea ok, so cut spending? There are ways to change Medicare and SS for the better financially without cutting benefits. The problem is neither side supports them (government negotiating perscription drug costs anyone?). Obama sounds like a republican here.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:18:07 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Mupepe

• Icon
He also said he's willing to take a lot of heat from Democrats to get a deal made.  Jeez.  He undermines his own party at every fucking turn and caters to the right on every issue.

Himu

where's my :smh smiley >:(
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

He also acts like the deficit is impacting jobs, another republican talking point. Businesses have billions of dollars stored away. They're done fine, profits wise. They aren't hiring because few people are buying shit. People aren't buying shit because they aren't making as much money as they once did, and because businesses have slashed some benefits (another reason they have huge profits). It has nothing to do with "confidence" or deficit.

If this farce is a means to an end, ie dealing with the deficit in a big fashion so we can finally start focusing on jobs, perhaps it makes sense. But the GOP isn't going to pivot to jobs: they don't care about jobs. They won't support an employer payroll tax cut because it might work. They want to gut infrastructure spending in the 2012 budget. They won't sign trade agreements. Seems pretty clear they won't do anything that benefits the economy because it will benefit Obama.

Himu

Is Obama really a shoe in for the 2012 nom? Because I think it'd be to the Democratic party's benefit to propel someone else.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
Is Obama really a shoe in for the 2012 nom? Because I think it'd be to the Democratic party's benefit to propel someone else.

Dude that's dumb.

Phoenix Dark

Maybe Himu's right, considering Obama seems to be running for the GOP's nomination :smug

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
would it be theoretically/formally possible for both parties to nominate the same man/woman?
QED

Mandark

• Icon
Nominations aren't legally regulated, so as long as they don't have a party bylaw against it, sure.  The real question is whether that person could show up on the ballot with both parties listed, which is probably a matter of state law.  I know that NY lets candidates carry the official label of multiple parties on the ballot, and there are probably other states as well.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Interesting, but yeah I meant in terms of current party bylaws.
QED

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
He also said he's willing to take a lot of heat from Democrats to get a deal made.  Jeez.  He undermines his own party at every fucking turn and caters to the right on every issue.

I don't think there has been a President so willing to shit on his base as often as Obama.  Maybe Lyndon Johnson and that is a stretch.

Nevertheless, Obama is in campaign mode and probably assumes that 2012 will provide another Republican victory with them taking over the Senate.  So he is doing whatever he can to distance himself from the Democrats so he can make himself more electable.  Which is kind of a gamble because the people he's coddling up to want to throw his ass out.  Pissing on his base really can't help his chances, who may end up sitting out the election.  He sure as shit isn't going to get the kind of support he received in 2008 and I believe deep down that he knows that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:52:46 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

In his press conference on Monday morning, President Barack Obama repeatedly insisted that he was willing to tackle some sacred cows as part of a larger package to raise the debt ceiling. Just how sacred, however, may surprise political observers.

According to five separate sources with knowledge of negotiations -- including both Republicans and Democrats -- the president offered an increase in the eligibility age for Medicare, from 65 to 67, in exchange for Republican movement on increasing tax revenues.

The proposal, as discussed, would not go into effect immediately, but rather would be implemented down the road (likely in 2013). The age at which people would be eligible for Medicare benefits would be raised incrementally, not in one fell swoop.

Sources offered varied accounts regarding the seriousness with which the president had discussed raising the Medicare eligibility age. As the White House is fond of saying, nothing is agreed to until everything is agreed to. And with Republicans having turned down a "grand" deal on the debt ceiling -- which would have included $3 trillion in spending cuts, including entitlement reforms, in exchange for up to $1 trillion in revenues -- it is unclear whether the proposal remains alive.

"That is one of the things they put on the table as part of a big solution," said one senior Republican Hill aide.

"It was considered in the context of the big deal," added a top Democratic source briefed on the deliberations.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/11/obama-medicare-eligibility-age_n_894833.html

Just a few days ago Boehner said the debt limit will be raised. And yet here are are talking about entitlement cuts and drastic changes.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I've come to really dislike hearing about Obama and Boner in the last few weeks.  Fucking do something, tardnuggets.
püp

Oblivion

I don't think there has been a President so willing to shit on his base as often as Obama.  Maybe Lyndon Johnson and that is a stretch.

Nevertheless, Obama is in campaign mode and probably assumes that 2012 will provide another Republican victory with them taking over the Senate.  So he is doing whatever he can to distance himself from the Democrats so he can make himself more electable.  Which is kind of a gamble because the people he's coddling up to want to throw his ass out.  Pissing on his base really can't help his chances, who may end up sitting out the election.  He sure as shit isn't going to get the kind of support he received in 2008 and I believe deep down that he knows that.

Which again leads us back to the question of who he's trying to appeal to with his concessions.

Let's forget for a second any practical issues Obama has to deal with as far as getting enough House votes or whatever. Let's just focus on the assumption that all this stuff Obama's sacrificing is because he wants to court Republican/independent votes. This would a modicum of sense if the proposals Obama is supporting to cut were in any way popular. But they're not. cutting medicare/raising the retirement age, not raisingn taxes on the rich, cutting eductation and health insurance for the poor, all of that stuff gets 70-80% support in the polls. Fuck, some of this shit isn't even popular among TEA PARTY voters.

Again, it's one thing to shit on your base to appeal to what seems to be a popular stance, but as far as I can tell, most of the GOP proposals are the OPPOSITE of popular.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
haha, that assumes that the "base" includes the majority of voters

hey, corporations are people too
duc

AdmiralViscen

I heard they are going to rescind gay marriage in new york in exchange for a 5 cent increase in tobacco taxes. You heard it here first

Mandark

• Icon
Since the last 10 pages of people moaning about a phantom budget deal is getting a wee bit monotonous, I present you with libertarian-trolling.

First, a piece by China Mieville that Prole hipped me to on ocean-based, nationality-free utopias. Extra fun if you've read The Scar, since he presumably encountered all this while researching for it.

And at Slate, Stephen Metcalf picks apart Anarchy, State, and Utopia and the famous Wilt Chamberlain thought experiment.

I'd post something about the Libya situation and France just randomly airdropping weapons into the country but it's fuckin' depressing.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
ah, that metcalf article is great
duc

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
There's no chance Obama loses outside of some insane freak event. People who think otherwise are delusional.
would it be theoretically/formally possible for both parties to nominate the same man/woman?
Yes.

Well, at least I know it's allowed (or at least was) by the Republican Party's rules. I think there have been a number of state Democratic Party nominations of Republicans as well, but I don't know if the national party has an official position. In either case, there are instances where Governors or things like that have been joint nominated against Independents. (Usually strong independents who are likely to easily win a three-way race.)

Although, it'd be easier to win the Republican primaries as a crossover than the Democratic ones since the Republicans have winner-take-all. You can ask some Freepers about this and Johm McCain.

Regarding the state ballot question, most will allow double listing and then combine the votes. I currently can't think of an example to cite but I know there have been instances outside of NY's weirdness where they took multiple ballot listings + write-ins and added them together.

Won't start on Metcalf.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:27:27 AM by benjipwns »

Mupepe

• Icon
I hope if a deal isn't reached Obama just gives a big fuck you to the debt ceiling and orders the Treasury to continue selling bonds. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
[youtube=560,345]Y4tpWmmY8b4[/youtube]
dog

Phoenix Dark

There's no chance Obama loses outside of some insane freak event. People who think otherwise are delusional.

please explain

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Have you fucking SEEN the lunatics running on the other side?  Yeah.
yar

Mupepe

• Icon
Last night on the local news there was an opinion piece of Michelle Bachman and her husband their bigoted views on homosexuals.  The guy said he hopes Michelle never makes it to the ballot box.  I hope she does!  That's a guaranteed win for Obama (even if he is pissing me off recently).

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Incremental progress and occasional disappointment (Obama) will always and forever be better than lunacy and Christian based politics (um, everyone else)
püp

Phoenix Dark

I'm thinking about hiring someone right now.  That payroll tax holiday sure would help :gloomy

I'm guessing you have less than 50 employees correct?

Phoenix Dark

Nah it's meant for all employers assuming it's similar to the last payroll tax cut implemented; I was just wondering whether you ran a small business. I'm actually curious about the healthcare bill, from your perspective as a small business owner. I'll have a more detailed question after work tho, yo

Oblivion

What the hell?

We're just getting the first word on this. So the details may be subject to clarification. But Senate Minority Leader has just suggested the GOP will give President Obama his debt limit increase without any spending cuts with a legislative maneuver that in essence allows Republicans to say it's all Obama's fault.

If that sounds bizarre, well, it is pretty bizarre. But that's what he said. More in a moment.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/07/mcconnell_opens_the_escape_hatch.php?ref=fpa

:o

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
wut
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Basically, they won't filibuster a debt limit increase but will sternly wag their fingers at him I guess.  GOP is such a fuckin' joke.
yar

Himu

What the hell?

We're just getting the first word on this. So the details may be subject to clarification. But Senate Minority Leader has just suggested the GOP will give President Obama his debt limit increase without any spending cuts with a legislative maneuver that in essence allows Republicans to say it's all Obama's fault.

If that sounds bizarre, well, it is pretty bizarre. But that's what he said. More in a moment.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/07/mcconnell_opens_the_escape_hatch.php?ref=fpa

:o

:rofl
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
Which would be funnier?  GOP completely caving after all this, or McConnell publicly supporting a deal that the House GOP hates and basically costing Boehner his job?

Phoenix Dark

GOP blinked first, and hard? I'm shocked.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
It just goes to show that GOPussies aren't serious about the deficit. They need the deficit to stoke the Teatards and the base. Any serious deduction would nullify one of the few talking points they have left.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
But, I thought the GOP was supposed to be about offering real solutions, instead of just opposing everything the President and the other party brought forward? ???
dog