Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870888 times)

Cheebo

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14040 on: September 20, 2011, 03:10:25 PM »
I still expect Republicans will have a net increase in the senate with or without Scott Brown.
₩‰\

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14041 on: September 20, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
They'll win the senate; dem gains in 2006 were so huge that this scenario has been likely for years. If the polls are right, dems could re-take the house though. The problem is that so many states went completely red in 2010 that the GOP can solidify seats through redistricting. Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, PA, etc are all going to turn into a republican firewall on the local level.

If the economy doesn't turn around we could be looking at President Romney with slim republican majorities in the house and senate

Cheebo

« Reply #14042 on: September 20, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »
Dems aren't retaking the house, with or without an Obama victory. No way.
₩‰\

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14043 on: September 20, 2011, 04:10:29 PM »
Agreed, but the GOP house's poll numbers are worse than any other congress' in modern years. So it could switch, but I agree that most likely they'll hold on.

Cheebo

« Reply #14044 on: September 20, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
Public hates both parties especially for congress, nobody is really at an advantage. I don't expect many seats to change hands in the house. Senate will purely becauses Dems won so many seats in 2006 that would be unwinable in any other year.
₩‰\

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #14045 on: September 20, 2011, 04:19:45 PM »
It wont switch- voters are morons.
o_0

Cheebo

« Reply #14046 on: September 20, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
Vice President Marco Rubio here we come.
₩‰\

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14047 on: September 20, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
The democratic party will be in shambles in the 2012 aftermath. There are no solid candidates on the horizon, Hillary isn't running, Edwards lol, etc. Obama is the new Carter after all :violin

Cheebo

« Reply #14048 on: September 20, 2011, 04:38:24 PM »
The democratic party will be in shambles in the 2012 aftermath. There are no solid candidates on the horizon, Hillary isn't running, Edwards lol, etc. Obama is the new Carter after all :violin

Andrew Cuomo clearly wants to be the 2016 nominee.
₩‰\

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14049 on: September 20, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »
I don't know if this country can survive another repub disaster.  :-\
İZH

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14050 on: September 20, 2011, 06:16:40 PM »
Voters are dumb and either vote over single issues or their feelings OR the most self critical side (dems) decide the best way to send a message to our dem politicians is to shoot ourselves in the face. GOP here we come!
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #14051 on: September 20, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
The biggest problem I'm having right now with the Cheebs/Maurice Amateur Hour commentary is trying to figure out which one is Halperin.  Probably Cheebs.
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #14052 on: September 20, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
Is there any legimite reason people are assuming the Dems take over the House? I keep hearing this a lot, but it seems like a pretty tall order, especially with the lead the Reps got in the mid terms.

In other news, Bill O'reilly once again proves he's America's number 1 patriot by threatening to STOP MAKING ANY MONEY ENTIRELY if  Chairman ObaMAO raises his taxes:

http://www.newshounds.us/2011/09/20/bill_oreilly_threatens_to_quit_if_higher_taxes_for_millionaires_are_enacted.php

:usacry

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #14053 on: September 20, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
I don't know.

We're dealing with such a special brand of crazy that I could easily see people getting turned off to the GOP.  I could easily see the GOP whipping itself up into such a frenzy that embarrassing, seat costing gaffes could happen left and right at several levels.  We saw this already in a few instances with the 2010 race -- the Republicans very well could have taken over the Senate if it wasn't for the batshittery of the Sharron Angles and Christine O'Donnells.

I'm cautiously pessimistic about 2012.  I think Obama can win (it won't be margins that we saw in 2008; an inverse of the 2004 results is much more likely) but I don't hold much faith for Congress.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14054 on: September 20, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
The public continually rewards republicans for this bullshit, then when things get worse they wonder what happened. Case in point: Rick Snyder here in Michigan. He became governor last year in a blowout election because the economy sucked, our previous governor was ineffective, and people wanted a change. Well guess what, now he's attacking unions, cutting education, etc and his numbers are in the dumps. No one gave the democratic candidate a chance last year, despite this being a solid blue state for decades.

People love being told their troubles exist just because somebody is taking their money, or wasting it. Republicans are running on a national platform to turn Medicare into a voucher system and people are STILL giving them the benefit of the doubt.

We deserve Bachmann, I swear. Michelle Bachmann with Zell Miller as her VP. Of course, once a lowly democrat takes over 4-8 years later the public will be like "wtf, why are things still shitty! fuckin democrats"

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14055 on: September 20, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »
This is the problem, the majority are fucking distinguished mentally-challenged.

How do you reconcile that with the libertarian view of human economic behavior?  Real question, no troll.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14056 on: September 20, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »
Who would win in a fist fight? Nader or Ron Paul- Nader is on The Last Word right now- hes lookin pretty rough; ron paul still looks like a scrapper---a crazy prospector scrapper but still
o_0

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14057 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
Did anyone read Nader's novel, where a bunch of rich people (real life ones like George Soros) decide they need to band together and save the world?  It sounded nuts, like a Bizarro Atlas Shrugged.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14058 on: September 21, 2011, 12:45:39 AM »
I feel bad for Ralph.  He did a lot of great things in his life but is increasingly becoming a crazy old man.
yar

Cheebo

« Reply #14059 on: September 21, 2011, 08:08:25 AM »
70's Ralph Nader was a badass.
₩‰\

Robo

« Reply #14060 on: September 21, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
Did anyone read Nader's novel, where a bunch of rich people (real life ones like George Soros) decide they need to band together and save the world?  It sounded nuts, like a Bizarro Atlas Shrugged.

...well, the book is titled, "Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us!"  At least it isn't hiding behind a pretense of sanity.
obo

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14061 on: September 21, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »
Elizabeth Warren destroying Mark Halperin's attempt to throw her off course
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/vp/44607826#44607826

this fucking guy  :lol

Cheebo

« Reply #14062 on: September 21, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »
Everytime I see Halperin I want to punch him in the face. He is the worst of the worst in the "WHO IS WINNING THE NEWS CYCLE TODAY?!?!" land of journalism.
₩‰\

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14063 on: September 21, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »
obligatory
[youtube=560,345]m1JAZwOSA1s[/youtube]

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #14064 on: September 21, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »
as much dissatisfaction as there is with the congress, I really don't know if its actually all that bad for the GOP.  Republicans seem to pride themselves on cynicism about governance.  If the government really can't do shit and isn't all that helpful doesn't that just prove their point even more?

« Reply #14065 on: September 21, 2011, 01:35:02 PM »
as much dissatisfaction as there is with the congress, I really don't know if its actually all that bad for the GOP.  Republicans seem to pride themselves on cynicism about governance.  If the government really can't do shit and isn't all that helpful doesn't that just prove their point even more?

It's hard to take that argument seriously when they're the ones being ineffective.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14066 on: September 21, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »

It's hard to take that argument seriously when they're the ones being ineffective.
Not according to the evening news who does as much as they can to remain "neutral". 

Edit: speaking of, we have a local news thing here in Houston that's made to appeal to youths.  It's a neat concept except the guy that hosts is a pretty big libertarian douchebag.  It's called Newsfix.  If you try to engage them in actual debate about the slant he tilts on all the news story you get no response.  It's supposed to be interactive news via their Facebook and emails.  It's bullshit.  Unless you say something really stupid like "YOU GUYZ ARE BIASED!" or suck their cock like "I NEVER WATCHED NEWS BEFORE YOU GUYS ROCK" they ignore you. 

the other day the douchebag posts a story he wrote on the Newsfix Facebook page calling out Obama for moving away from compromise by saying he'll veto any cuts that come across his desk without revenue increases.  So I respond to the story and say "So when Obama says he'll veto anything without revenue increases it's 'moving away from compromise' but when Boehner says he won't accept anything with revenue increases that's compromise?  Gotcha"  I got no responses besides a bunch of hurr durr idiots saying "That's more change, out of our pockets."  (out of curiosity I decided to look up this dbags Facebook and he seems to be a fucking carpet cleaner.  I'm sure he makes over a million a year ::) )

At the end of every newscast he does closing comments where he puts his stupid spin on stories of the day.  He said he wanted people to be more vocal on Facebook and engage in real debate.  He brought up a comment from someone who said that corporations need to pay their fair share and he brought up the rebuttal of "durr, corporations are made of people and people pay taxes."  So I posted on the Facebook wall attempting to engage in real debate and said that corporations have been making moves towards corporate personhood for decades and they want the rights and benefits of a citizen for corporations but they don't want to share the tax burden.  They can't have it both ways.  Again, no fucking response. 

Gahhhhhhh.  Fucking trainwreck of a show that could actually be a decent way to engage people in news but it's wasted.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:47:35 PM by Mupepe »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14067 on: September 21, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
[youtube=560,345]8EL5Atp_vF0[/youtube]
 :american

Cheebo

« Reply #14068 on: September 21, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »
Oh Mitt Romney

"I was in Iowa the other day, and people suggested that we just raise taxes on corporations. I told them, corporations are people... Raising taxes on corporations is raising taxes on people."
₩‰\

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14069 on: September 21, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »
Oh Mitt Romney

"I was in Iowa the other day, and people suggested that we just raise taxes on corporations. I told them, corporations are people... Raising taxes on corporations is raising taxes on people."

smh
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14070 on: September 21, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
well troy davis is dead.  fuck the u.s. legal system.
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14071 on: September 21, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
Some people on twitter are saying he hasn't been executed, rumors about a stay of execution being granted. Hope it's true

edit: no stay, but it is being temporarily delayed. SC looking into matter
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:14:48 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14072 on: September 21, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
not that i've seen. everything still says 7pm est
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14073 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »
SC has delayed it until 8pm, giving them more time to deliberate. You think if you couldn't decide whether to execute someone or not until the very last fucking minute...maybe they shouldn't be executed

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14074 on: September 21, 2011, 07:31:23 PM »
i c now.  looks like he's got seven days maybe?
pcp

Phoenix Dark

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14076 on: September 21, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »
ok NOW he's being killed.  fuck this
pcp

Himu

« Reply #14077 on: September 22, 2011, 12:19:26 AM »
[youtube=560,345]8EL5Atp_vF0[/youtube]
 :american

Is that the A from the Atheist logo?

Oh man, Rick Perry is a secret satanist.
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14078 on: September 22, 2011, 08:12:15 AM »
I came in here to say that americans are still being stupid if they think they can resolve the Palestine/Israel issue, that is all.

Until then, we will just continue to give them $1M a week and keep their weapons up to date. THe US is nice like that.
İZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14079 on: September 22, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »
$1 million a week?  Geez, that'd be the day.

anti-semite :punch

drew

• sy

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14081 on: September 22, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14082 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »
oh man Hermain Cain's 999 tax plan :bow

[youtube=560,345]qqvASawpkEg[/youtube]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14083 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:56 PM »
First they cheered execution statistics. Then they cheered letting uninsured people die. Now

[youtube=560,345]RuqFkbLkST4[/youtube]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14084 on: September 23, 2011, 12:17:12 AM »
Stay classy, Republican voters.  Stay classy.
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #14085 on: September 23, 2011, 03:19:15 AM »
I'm gonna make a bingo chart or roulette wheel that has a list of possible other immensely offensive things that the Republican/TP audience will do in the coming debates.

We can have a betting pool!

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14086 on: September 23, 2011, 05:01:17 AM »
First debate I've watched anything other than clips of, unless you're going to count that first thing back in May where they only had like five people. Random musings:

Who gives a shit about word clouds? Or "real time polls"?

Wow, is Rick Perry terrible.

"Governor Perry, what would you do about jobs?"
"I'll tell you what I wouldn't do, be Mitt Romney."
"Governor Perry the budget deficit is huge, how would you shrink it?"
"You know, I was reading Governor Romney's book and man, does he suck! He even changed things between the hardcover and paperback! What a dick!"
"Governor Perry, any education plans?"
"These ideas we just heard like uh, a department of Education and ideas are good. But you know what's not good? Governor Romney."

He sometimes sounds like Al Gore to me if you're just listening, it's usually when he's trying to figure out what he intends to say and doesn't have a prepared answer. His best line was repeating "you put the boots and aviation assets on the ground" against Santorum's whining then staring into the camera forcefully as if it had made sense and literally vaporized Santorum off the stage.

Put some of my ramblings about Romney and Cain behind spoilers so nobody has to see it:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like Romney's whole "say tons of random things that sound related and get applause but don't make any sense or respond" strategy:
Do you, Governor Romney, believe that President Obama is a socialist?

ROMNEY: Let me tell you the title that I want to hear said about President Obama, and that is: former President Barack Obama. That's the title I want to hear.

Let me tell you this. What President -- what President Obama is, is a big-spending liberal. And he takes his political inspiration from Europe and from the socialist democrats in Europe. Guess what? Europe isn't working in Europe. It's not going to work here.

I believe in America. I believe in the opportunity and in the freedom that is American opportunity and freedom. I believe in free enterprise and capitalism. I believe government is too big. It's gone from 27 percent of our economy in the years of JFK to 37 percent of our economy. We have to rein in the scale of government or we're not going to be -- continue to be a free economy.

I love this country. I spent my life in the private sector, not in government. I only spent four years as a governor. I didn't inhale.

I'm a business guy. I'm going to get America working again, because I believe in the principles that make America the hope of the Earth.
Didn't inhale! Like Clinton! Remember that guy! Cigars! Did you see this stain?

What's with the kitchen table fetish that politicians always have:
ROMNEY: All across America, you've got families sitting across from their -- sitting in their living rooms and their kitchens, sitting at that kitchen table, with a calculator and a checkbook, seeing if they have enough money to make ends meet for the month or the week.
You've got people who are sitting at that same table filling out job application forms, knowing that there are hundreds of other people that are doing the same thing for the same job.

These are tough times for a lot of people in this country, but we are a patriotic people. We place our hand over our heart during the playing of the national anthem. No other people on Earth do that. And if we're led by a leader who draws on that patriotism, who tells the truth, who lives with integrity, and who knows how to lead, America will remain the hope of the Earth and the strongest nation in the world.
I'll do it.
:usacry

I'm not sure if it's better than Herman Cain's general strategy of "I'll ask the experts" or "let me explain by restating the question":
WALLACE: Mr. Cain, I want to follow up on your 999 plan for economic growth. That's a 9 percent...
(APPLAUSE)
Well, they seem to already know what it is. But for the few who don't, it's a 9 percent flat corporate tax, a 9 percent flat income tax, and a new 9 percent national sales tax.

Now, conservatives usually say repeal the income tax before you impose a new tax. Isn't there a danger with your 999 plan, with these three taxes, that some government down the road after President Cain is going to increase three forms of taxation on Americans?

HERMAN CAIN, FORMER CEO OF GODFATHER'S PIZZA: No, there's no danger in that. And first, let me answer Dave's question with the 9, 9, 9 plan. Unfortunately, nobody up here answered his question. He wanted to know as a small businessman what are we going to do to help him as a small business person? I have walked in Dave's shoes.

This economy is on life support, that's why my 9, 9, 9 plan is a bold solution. It starts with throw out the current tax code and pass 9 percent business flat tax, 9 percent personal income tax, and the 9% national sales tax. This is the most important part, it eliminates, or replaces corporate income tax, personal income tax, capital gains tax as well as the estate tax.

Then it treats all businesses the same. And the people who are paying only payroll tax, 15.3, that 15.4 they don't have to pay, now they only have to pay that 9 percent.
Of course there's no chance! Have you heard about it though? It's a 999 plan! 9%! NINE! NINE! NEIN! NINE!

He should stick to that though because when he tries to really answer it doesn't work so well:
CAIN: The reason I said that I would be dead under Obamacare is because my cancer was detected in March of 2006. From March 2006 all the way to the end of 2006, for that number of months, I was able to get the necessary CAT scan tests, go to the necessary doctors, get a second opinion, get chemotherapy, go -- get surgery, recuperate from surgery, get more chemotherapy in a span of nine months. If we had been under Obamacare and a bureaucrat was trying to tell me when I could get that CAT scan that would have delayed by treatment.

My surgeons and doctors have told me that because I was able get the treatment as fast as I could, based upon my timetable and not the government's timetable that's what saved my life, because I only had a 30 percent chance of survival. And now I'm here five years cancer free, because I could do it on my timetable and not a bureaucrat's timetable.
Dude, you were a millionaire CEO under 65, I'm pretty sure your insurance plan wasn't Medicare or Medicaid and you would have it even if ObamaCare was establishing the NHS.
[close]

The biggest dick is still Rick Santorum, I love how visibly angry he gets when someone argues with him. He must really hate his daughter. Amusing when he said he doesn't believe in things dictated from on high while pointing upwards.

I think Gary Johnson actually got more questions than Bachmann or Ron Paul. I forgot she was even there for like a half hour until she butted in randomly about Cuba since she wasn't even in any of the side shots of others like Paul was. Hoards of people were trying to get her autograph afterwards before FOX kicked her off the stage.

The best part was the Vice President question, Jon Huntsman tried to pick Chris Wallace then started rambling about how he and Herman Cain had the same color ties before going for an awkward planned hand shake. :lol

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14087 on: September 23, 2011, 11:36:11 AM »
Voters are morons and will vote for Perry. Booing at service men- wtf
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14088 on: September 23, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »
Perry is getting crucified by the conservative blogs and "elites." President Romney here we come

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14090 on: September 23, 2011, 02:26:28 PM »
Here comes 4 years of being completely confused as to wtf the president is thinking or doing
o_0

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14091 on: September 23, 2011, 02:51:28 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44634263/ns/politics/

But Lugar’s judicial votes are hardly the only cause for complaint. Among other things, the conservative Indiana activists are angry that he:

• Voted for Obama’s controversial Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, which pumped billions of dollars into ailing banks and financial institutions during the 2008 financial crisis.

• Supported Obama’s renewal of the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, or START, with Russia. The original START was an agreement between the former USSR and the United States during the presidency of Ronald Reagan.

lol
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:54:55 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14092 on: September 23, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »
Here comes 4 years of being completely confused as to wtf the president is thinking or doing

dunno, that describes Obama's 4 years as well

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14093 on: September 23, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
I like how TARP is somehow magically Obama's, even though it was passed in 2008 before he was elected, much less sworn in.  Pretty soon 9/11 will be his fault somehow too.
yar

Cheebo

« Reply #14094 on: September 23, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »

dunno, that describes Obama's 4 years as well
Obama at least seems to have some core beliefs and political ideals even if he is too chickenshit to govern by them. Romney seems to literally have no political views other than "lolz I like big business" and just goes with whatever polls over well that day for whatever audience he is talking to. Ted Kennedy's nickname for him sums him up perfectly "Multiple-choice Mitt".
₩‰\

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14095 on: September 23, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
The problem is that the Republicans can just go on tv and flat out lie and the media are too lazy and disinterested to call them on it.  If I had been told continually that Obama was a socialist, that the stimulus hadn't created one job, that businesses were choking under a new wave of regulations and not able to hire anyone, I'd probably think he sucked too. 

Then again, I think he sucks because he's a prevaricator and wuss, but whatever.
yar

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14096 on: September 23, 2011, 03:29:45 PM »
id be cool with the idea of a DECENT GOP candidate being president, but theyre ALL fucking insane.
o_0

Cheebo

« Reply #14097 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
The Obama that Republicans describe would be a awesome president. Too bad he isn't that guy.
₩‰\

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14098 on: September 23, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »
It'll honestly be a different climate once theyre out of primaries anyway- Obama's biggest problem aside from the economy will probably be  SOLYNDRA-GATE
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14099 on: September 23, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »
id be cool with the idea of a DECENT GOP candidate being president, but theyre ALL fucking insane.

I'd be semi-fine with Romney. He's better than the current alternatives in the GOP, isn't totally crazy, and has a history of governing moderately with divided government. I'd rather have Obama in office, but we're going to be getting center-right policy whether it's him or Romney.