Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1880498 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14340 on: October 06, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »
JD, you've made enough claims about what's been "proven" based on little more than your own ideology and maybe a couple last minute Google searches that very few people here, if any, are gonna take you simply on your word.

Not saying that as an attack.  Just letting you know in case you ever wanted to try to make yourself heard rather than typing angrily into the void.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14341 on: October 06, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
Not surprising to see costs passed onto the consumer.  Not at all.

:bow Capitalism :bow2

Want to sarcastically bow?  Bow to market interference.  When government tacks onto the costs of doing business, things get more expensive.  Every time.

There was no added cost, just less profit.
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14342 on: October 06, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »
I think what Jay Dubya wants is a system that does away with incentive to screw over customers in any way, shape or form for a buck in order to please shareholders.

Maybe Communism.

Jay Dubya is a communist.  :o

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14343 on: October 06, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
In other words, if you support the regulation in question, you have little to stand on when you whine about the costs being passed onto you.  If you wanted this to happen, one assumes you thought it worth it the cost.  Well, it happened.  Now pay up.

When banks are free to change businesses any amount they want in fees, where do costs get passed on then? Hmmm...let me think...
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14344 on: October 06, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
There was no added cost, just less profit.

The practical difference being?

Taking in less revenue does not equate to higher costs. Since the swipe fee gravy train was paired back, they are trying to make that profit up off the backs of their customers. I hope the leave en mass. And that would be the market deciding.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:47:18 PM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #14345 on: October 06, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
But there is no additional costs the banks had to assume. So I'm not following how they can pass the 'no costs' onto their customers.
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14346 on: October 06, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
Hey now.  Bank of America has a right to make an exorbitant profit charging outrageous fees!  IT'S THEIR RIGHT!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14347 on: October 06, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »
But there is no additional costs the banks had to assume. So I'm not following how they can pass the 'no costs' onto their customers.
Well they certainly don't want to gamble with your money for free

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #14349 on: October 06, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
I'm either switching to a credit union or a decent bank. There's a TCF right across the street from me, I'll do some research

It was easy to switch banks, the hard part was getting off my ass and doing it.

Yea, that's gonna be my problem. I'll have to withdraw all my money right? Why can't I just call BoA and tell them to put my money in another bank  :'(

Haha, when I switched banks I went to Chase to pull most of it out, and that was on the same day as some customer appreciation day where the new branch manager was greeting everyone and everything. I felt bad because individual branches are just doing their jobs, and theyre happy to have their jobs- felt like a dick. Never went back.
o_0

« Reply #14350 on: October 06, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »
Glad I don't bank at one of the big banks.

My wife and I use Wells Fargo, but I still have my BECU (Boeing Employees Credit Union) account open from high school and college. If WF pulls something like this, we'll probably move everything over to BECU.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14351 on: October 06, 2011, 03:07:42 PM »
When I switched from Wells Fargo I did an online bank transfer to my Chase account and just let the account sit for 60 days and WF closed it automatically.

Gundam, I read somewhere that Wells Fargo is charging for having a debit card soon.  IIRC they're already testing it in markets and rolling it out soon

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14352 on: October 06, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »
JD:  Hey, I'm just trying to give you advice.  When Boogie rants about something, for example, I'm gonna listen because I know it's either a subject that he's got some personal expertise on, or one that he's decently well-read on.  If you want to actually increase the number of libertarians on the plant (and I'm not saying you do), you might want to build that sort of rep for yourself.

Sorry if that comes across as an insult, buddy.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14353 on: October 06, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
Me? I just shoot from the hip. I also watch Last Word and Rachel- its clear im not up for high level armchair politics.
o_0

« Reply #14354 on: October 06, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »
When I switched from Wells Fargo I did an online bank transfer to my Chase account and just let the account sit for 60 days and WF closed it automatically.

Gundam, I read somewhere that Wells Fargo is charging for having a debit card soon.  IIRC they're already testing it in markets and rolling it out soon

I heard WF was going to start charging monthly fees for accounts that have less $40,000 in savings. Thanks to my "MUST SAVE MORE MONEY!!" wife, we never drop below it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:23:59 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #14355 on: October 06, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
Gundam -- completely unrelated but make sure you're on litter duty while your wifey is preggers, it's a thing.

I've always been on litter duty 24/7. Thanks, though!
野球

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14356 on: October 06, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
Hey now.  Bank of America has a right to make an exorbitant profit charging outrageous fees!  IT'S THEIR RIGHT!

and it never would've had to happen if the damn government would just let them keep charing people insane amounts of money for something that doesn't actually cost them any money at all!  it's their right to do whatever they want to make more moeny!  and its the single most important right we have in america!!
pcp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #14357 on: October 06, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »
wrong thread
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:29:21 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #14358 on: October 06, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
:drudge
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/186133-reid-triggers-nuclear-option-to-change-senate-rules-and-prohibit-post-cloture-filibusters
:drudge

Reid grew some balls holy shit. I love how Drudge is labeling this as the end of filibusters btw lol. This doesn't kill filibusters, it kills the ability to obstruct bills/amendments AFTER a filibuster has already been broken. Kudos

drew

• sy
« Reply #14359 on: October 07, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »
Me? I just shoot from the hip. I also watch Last Word and Rachel- its clear im not up for high level armchair politics.

oh, god.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14360 on: October 07, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »
Hey, where do you get your talking points anyway, drew?  I know you act like your beliefs are all sui generis, but real talk here.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14361 on: October 07, 2011, 10:02:50 AM »
What's wrong with Maddow? She's actually fair, doesn't antagonize conservative guests, etc

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #14362 on: October 07, 2011, 10:17:20 AM »
Hey, where do you get your talking points anyway, drew?  I know you act like your beliefs are all sui generis, but real talk here.

Infowars.com?
MMA

drew

• sy
« Reply #14363 on: October 07, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
drudge and businessweek

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14364 on: October 07, 2011, 12:26:19 PM »
Like the Koch brothers? They inherited everything
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14365 on: October 07, 2011, 12:27:29 PM »
Rachel Maddow + Ezra Klein + Melissa Harris Perry = Win

STFU Drew

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rachel-maddow-msnbc-243775?page=2
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:39:30 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #14366 on: October 07, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »
I thought the old-fashioned American way was "screw you King George, imma get my guns!"
©@©™

drew

• sy
« Reply #14367 on: October 07, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »
rachel maddow is a dumb cunt, sorry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i'd still hit it, though
[close]

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14368 on: October 07, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »
How is she dumb?
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #14369 on: October 07, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
How is she dumb?

All Rhodes scholars are intellectual insects when compared to your average drug-addled waste of flesh from Ohio, MAF.  This is common knowledge.
yar

drew

• sy
« Reply #14370 on: October 07, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
i'm mainly referring to her post tucson shooting "work"

[youtube=560,345]fPG2GzO5cZ4[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]xTinLEBYlws[/youtube]

and last but certainly not least:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908//vp/41030180#41030180

the last one really shows what she and her ilk are all about, placing laws in front of and outright banning things that they don't know the first thing about

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14371 on: October 07, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
Having opinions that arent in line with drew = dumb
o_0

drew

• sy
« Reply #14372 on: October 07, 2011, 05:04:02 PM »
ugh, no. did you even watch any of the videos?  her logic is based upon enacting laws and prohibitions for the lowest common denominator.  she has such a strong radical belief that is based upon complete and utter ignorance of the topic at hand.  not to mention the blatant spreading of misinformation to downright lying to her audience. need i go on?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14373 on: October 07, 2011, 05:15:03 PM »
I think what they're asking for you is for you to actually counter her points with statistics or references since you're accusing her of flat out lying. 

i haven't watched the video.  Just here to mediate.

drew

• sy
« Reply #14374 on: October 08, 2011, 12:51:29 AM »
I think what they're asking for you is for you to actually counter her points with statistics or references since you're accusing her of flat out lying. 

i haven't watched the video.  Just here to mediate.

at least watch the beginning of the third video, you really don't need to counter blatant bullshit with cold hard facts, especially when she herself didn't seem to seek them before getting opening her mouth on national television

Could you paraphrase what's at the link? It redirects me to a mobile site so I can't see the correct article.

try this

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2011/01/13/plastic-guns-anti-aircraft-weapons-clips-and-cop-killer-bullets-on-rachel-maddow/

Himu

« Reply #14375 on: October 08, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
I'm going to Occupy Houston today
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #14377 on: October 09, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »

I went to Occupy Wall Street last night.  I was impressed by alot of what I saw, and how focused and level headed the volunteer organizers were, but there seemed to be less people than I had anticipated.  I mean, the park itself was packed to the gills, but I expected more overflow.   Later that night I read that the population had split before I arrived in order to occupy Washington Square Park, which is at least an order of magnitude larger than Zuccotti.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:43:57 AM by My F*cking Grandpa »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #14378 on: October 10, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »
Why didnt this dude win?

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #14379 on: October 10, 2011, 08:38:39 AM »
A. He's short
B. He looks like a Kiebler elf
C. He publicly admits to having seen UFOs
D. Wanted to create a Department of Peace... we 'murkins love us some war
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #14380 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:41 AM »
Ok good points.

I like how he thinks though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #14381 on: October 10, 2011, 09:35:48 AM »
Just imagine if Denis Kucinich was as hot as his wife. Landslide victory, for sure.
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14382 on: October 10, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »

I went to Occupy Wall Street last night.  I was impressed by alot of what I saw, and how focused and level headed the volunteer organizers were, but there seemed to be less people than I had anticipated. 
Occupy Houston had more people than I had anticipated.  A good amount were middle aged Ron Paul supporters though  :-X

Brehvolution

« Reply #14383 on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
Reading up on this 'values voters' summit is disgusting. Should rename it to 'bigot voters' summit. :piss
These 'christian' pastors that spoke sound no different than the muslim clerics that preach terrorism.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14384 on: October 10, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
[youtube=560,345]LfcOGWRfXdk[/youtube]

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #14385 on: October 10, 2011, 12:31:06 PM »
Yeah where is the mayhem?

Phoenix Dark

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14387 on: October 10, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/10/lawrence-odonnells-offensive-interview-with-herman-cain/246328/#.To9QTEoxQgk.twitter

An utter piece of shit

Yeah that bit of the interview blew me the fuck away. Changed the channel till Rachel was on. I couldn't believe it.
o_0

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #14388 on: October 10, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »
Cable news has always sucked ass.  I don't see what is so particularly shocking about this except that someone actually bothered to watch a show on MSNBC :o
🍆🍆

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14389 on: October 10, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »
Rachel is good, Odonnell has potential but yeah that clip is just really bad, Ratigan is also a fun listen. I think my main problem with people who bash cable news is that they often use it as some kind of indicator of an informed opinion. Its easy to hate ALL cable news.
o_0

Oblivion

« Reply #14390 on: October 10, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/10/lawrence-odonnells-offensive-interview-with-herman-cain/246328/#.To9QTEoxQgk.twitter

An utter piece of shit

God forbid we have a bootstrappin African American that buys his mansions with his own money, and not with welfare checks.  ::)

edit: oh you were talking about Lawrence i see
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:50:00 PM by Oblivion »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14391 on: October 10, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
Cable news is basically like Sarah Palin: terribly dumb but safely ignored.

One of my (politically apathetic) friends was exposed to a bunch of Fox News (it's what his dad had on in the hospital), and was downright horrified.  I explained to him that it was a common reaction, but eventually you realize you can't win over someone from its target audience, and that it won't try to win over people from outside that audience.  So you just accept that it's out there and pay no mind.

Fox is obviously worse than the other two, but they're pretty fuckin' terrible in their own right.  Not just the prime-time "personality" op-ed shows.  Try watching the midday headline stuff for a couple hours.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14392 on: October 10, 2011, 05:08:04 PM »
Most of whats on the internet is just as bad if not worse. I like to think its entirely possible that there are a few folks out there hosting shows that are worth a damn. but whutever politisnobz
o_0

Mandark

• Icon
So defensive, mang.
« Reply #14393 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
No shit the internet's terrible.  But besides having a better format for learning (hyperlinked text nom nom nom), the good stuff tends to clump together, making it easier to find and filter.  If Ta-Nehisi Coates links to someone else's blog, that's probably worth reading.  If I watch a show because it was advertised on Maddow, I'm probably feeling cheated by the end of it.  "The Internet" isn't trying to sell me on the credibility of a brand like CNN and MSNBC are, and kind of insulting me in the process.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14394 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
Name dropping Coates like I didn't put you on him smh!

Himu

« Reply #14395 on: October 10, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
Oldie but goodie

IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #14396 on: October 10, 2011, 05:40:56 PM »
 :lol

I still don't understand why your universities have to be THAT expensive.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #14397 on: October 10, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
Some poor people want everybody to be poor, they are funny like that.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14398 on: October 10, 2011, 06:18:13 PM »
999!
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14399 on: October 10, 2011, 07:10:58 PM »
Here's a naive political shoot from the hip:

What if there was a maximum income? Still high enough to be stupid rich, like say a few tens of millions or  so a year. Might spur CEOs towards reinvestment into employees and drive average wages up, taking a chunk of out the wealth inequity.

I'm sure the republican answer to that would be WTF SOCIALISM?!!?!! but is there really any reason to allow someone to earn more than 50 million a year?

This is a free society, there should be no limits on personal income. Taxing rich people a decent amount makes more sense. Not the 70% rate that once existed, but something like 35-40%