Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870621 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14640 on: November 02, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
He hates Perry due to immigration. From what I've read/heard he likes Bachman and Santorum. Shit makes no sense. You're never going to find a candidate you agree with on 100% of shit. Perry was governor of a border state with Mexico, of course he had a moderate take on immigration. Same with George Bush - they couldn't afford to play politics, as they have to actually deal with the problem.

Perry is far right, handsome, was a "successful" governor in terms of jobs growth (bullshit, I know), has always been pro-life, and is a firm Christian. So what the fuck is the tea party doing by supporting one idiot after another who has no chance at beating Obama? Perry's numbers are shitty against Obama too, but he certainly has a better chance than Bachmann or Santorum jeez.

So instead they're going to fight until a formerly pro choice, pro gay rights northeast governor who passed the blueprint for Obamacare with Edward Kennedy's help wins the nom. This is hilarious

It's almost like the Teatards are accustomed to getting their way and don't want to concede on anything.  Charming people to have dictating the direction of a political party.
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14641 on: November 02, 2011, 11:07:29 PM »
Or maybe they want Obama to win :teehee

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #14644 on: November 03, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
Obama's promise to have all the soldiers in Iraq "home by Christmas" is unsurprisingly not coming true.  Most of them are just redeploying to Kuwait.  There's already 23,000 troops here, 4,000 more on the way from Iraq, and the DoD expects a presence of 40,000 in the region after the Iraq withdrawal. 

How do you feel about that?
AMC

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #14645 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:46 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:43:59 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #14646 on: November 04, 2011, 12:35:35 AM »
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qaTEV7Gy9J8/TrNbKAcbVaI/AAAAAAAAQJo/oZsB3hk5x_4/s1600/gdpemp.png

GDP is back to pre-recession levels, minus 6.6 million jobs.

So, it's either proof we have permanently lost millions of jobs (ie. the new normal) or GDP is a poor metric to measure the economy. Probably a bit of both.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #14647 on: November 04, 2011, 12:36:31 AM »
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qaTEV7Gy9J8/TrNbKAcbVaI/AAAAAAAAQJo/oZsB3hk5x_4/s1600/gdpemp.png

GDP is back to pre-recession levels, minus 6.6 million jobs.

So, it's either proof we have permanently lost millions of jobs (ie. the new normal) or GDP is a poor metric to measure the economy. Probably a bit of both.

I agree with your assessment.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14648 on: November 04, 2011, 12:49:43 AM »
Or maybe the housing crisis is so bad no one is buying shit, so businesses aren't hiring anyone thus creating a highly productive but smaller work force

smh

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #14649 on: November 04, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Or maybe the housing crisis is so bad no one is buying shit, so businesses aren't hiring anyone thus creating a highly productive but smaller work force

smh

That's what he meant by "new normal"
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14650 on: November 04, 2011, 12:57:08 AM »
Well I guess it's the new normal if the administration keeps ignoring the housing crisis. Although Krugman liked the executive orders issued last week or so, relating to house policy/refinancing so who knows maybe we'll see improvement.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14651 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:01 AM »
I think TA was saying that if we look at this graph, we have to conclude that there's been a semipermanent structural change in the economy (where the previous level of production can be maintained with a higher unemployment level) or GDP is actually a crappy gauge of economic health.

I'd point out that GDP is still way below trend (where it would be if the upward slope had kept going), which means there should still be a lot of unused resources out there, including people without jobs.  Also, in the two most recent recessions job recovery lagged behind GDP recovery, which it hadn't done before.  So it's probably not the "new normal" in that 91% is now maximum employment in a growing economy, but it's gonna be a long slog back.

Brad DeLong posted about jobless recoveries on his blog during the early days of the crisis, but I haven't been keeping up with him enough to effectively steal his opinions and pass them on as my own.  Last I checked, though, he thought he had a good handle on why employment bounced back quickly after the other post-WW2 recessions, but no real answer as to why that had changed.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14652 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:54 AM »
I'll never forget in the 2004 election when Dubya was talking to some women who said that she worked two jobs in order to make ends meet and he interrupted her with a proud, "Isn't that uniquely American?"  Yee haw, I love working multiple jobs to make ends meet!  Gimme a 3rd just for the fuck of it!
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14653 on: November 04, 2011, 01:19:36 AM »
Yea, interesting points. Can't wait for tomorrow's numbers

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #14654 on: November 04, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
Yea, interesting points. Can't wait for tomorrow's numbers

Tomorrow's?

http://bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Nonfarm payroll employment continued to trend up in October (+80,000),
and the unemployment rate was little changed at 9.0 percent
, the U.S.
Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Employment in the private
sector rose, with modest job growth continuing in professional and
businesses services, leisure and hospitality, health care, and mining.
Government employment continued to trend down.
AMC

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14655 on: November 04, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »
TA, are you ready for... NEWTMENTUM???

Yup, after Herman Cain's impending implosion it looks like it's finally time for the GOP's "idea man" to have his turn being the not-Mitt Romney.
yar

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #14656 on: November 04, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »
Oh gawd pleeeease, Anytime Newt pokes his mellon up for more than a second and actually tries to be something other than a hit and run "ideas man" is HILARIOUS
___

Oblivion

« Reply #14658 on: November 04, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »
TA, are you ready for... NEWTMENTUM???

Yup, after Herman Cain's impending implosion it looks like it's finally time for the GOP's "idea man" to have his turn being the not-Mitt Romney.

I'm still debating whether a battle against Newt would be as entertaining as it would be with Cain or a Bachmann.

edit:

:piss librul racists :piss2
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:19:01 PM by Oblivion »

Oblivion

« Reply #14659 on: November 05, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »
So there's this new law in Michigan, that's actually pretty heinous even by tea bagger standards. Charlie Pierce summarizes the law, and its significance quite well:

I’d like to congratulate the state of Michigan for passing the worst bill in the history of the universe. Read it fast and it just looks like the average rancid river of swill that flows forth any time you have your state government over to people who have developed their political philosophies while waiting on hold for Sean or Rush in their cars everyday during evening drive. But, close up, floating in the middle of it, there’s one particular chunk of offal that makes the rest of the rushing current smell like roses and daffodils. It says this:

This section does not prohibit a statement of a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction of a school employee, school volunteer, pupil, or a pupil and parent or guardian.

Holy god.

I may be unversed in the subtleties of writing legislation, but this certainly seems to me to mean that, if a kid thinks another kid is a great big “faggoty-cigarillo-cigarillo,” and he goes out of his way to beat that kid to a pulp, he can come to the principal or the guidance department or the school board and say that, well, sorry if he offended anyone, but he learned this stuff in the Bible. Leviticus made him do it. And the principal, or the guidance staff, or the school board, or the beaten kid himself has to take this pious savagery seriously, instead of telling the kid that he’s expelled and Jesus can be his cellmate…

In a very real way, this one passage in one piece of really bad legislation is the entire raison d’etre of American “conservatism,” and of the political party that it has turned into its mindless vehicle over the past four decades. Every element of the “movement” is in there. There’s religious paranoia and cultural sociopathy combining to produce a completely irrational sense of victimhood. There’s the carefully chosen choice of targets, and the subsequent inflation of that target into the “real” threat from the “real” oppressors. And then, finally, there’s the framing of legislation to say one thing, but mean another, while maintaining your inherent right as one of society’s overdogs to do pretty much anything you want. You play the victim to reinforce your own long-established privilege.

Without this formula, Republican politics would have no platform. There would be no all-powerful ACORN, pulling strings behind the scenes even though it went broke a couple of years ago. There would be no George Soros, the palindromic plutocrat financing all the critters that dance in Bill O’Reilly’s head. Rick Santorum’s would not get to gussy up in Scripture his tremulous inbred revulsion over other men’s penises. Ron Paul would not hear the black helicopters. Michele Bachmann would not have a vehicle for her concern over AmeriCorps and the incipient Obama Youth. Newt Gingrich would not have any career at all, and Herman Cain would not be able to blame the bitches. And even Mitt Romney wouldn’t be able to go before audiences made up of people who hate him and tell those audience that he shares their fear of the awesome, nation-destroying economic deadweight that is the National Endowment for the Arts…

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/michigan-bullying-law-6542330

Oblivion

« Reply #14660 on: November 05, 2011, 01:09:14 AM »
And now for something less rage inducing:

Quote from: Bill Maher
"If God really did call all three of them [Bachmann, Perry, Cain] to run for president, isn't he just f---ing with two of them?"

:rofl

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14661 on: November 05, 2011, 01:13:07 AM »
or all three  :lol
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14662 on: November 05, 2011, 03:02:53 AM »
Can't wait for Gingrich to take Cain's spot so we can get more details on how big of an asshole he is.

Oblivion

« Reply #14663 on: November 05, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
It's probably been mentioned before, but seriously?

"I believe that Barack Obama owns the Occupy Wall Street movement," Rudy Giuliani said at the Defending the American Dream Summit. "It would not have happened, it would not have happened but for his class warfare. And remember, as it gets worse and worse because it's going to get worse and worse, where it came from. Barack Obama. He praised it. He supported it. He agrees with it. He sympathizes with it. And as it gets worse and worse, I believe this will be the millstone around Barack Obama's neck that will take his presidency down."

"How about you occupy a job. How about working? Working. I know that's tough," Giuliani also said.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/11/04/giuliani_ows_is_millstone_around_obamas_neck_that_will_take_presidency_down.html

It's not the douchiness, but the cognitive dissonance that gets me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:35:36 PM by Oblivion »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14664 on: November 05, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14665 on: November 05, 2011, 10:56:02 PM »
"How about you occupy a job. How about working? Working. I know that's tough," Giuliani also said.

Tough? Yeah, it is, considering that the jobs market is terrible.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14666 on: November 05, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARDS SHOULD JUST GO WORK AT MCDONALD'S

"BU-BU-BU-BU WE WANT ACTUAL JOBS!"

TOUGH TITTY, MOVE TO MALAYSIA
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #14667 on: November 06, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »
If people really want a job, go up to Williston, North Dakota.  I heard nigs be making over $40,000 a year for driving a truck and over $80,000 for working the oil fields with people finding jobs within an hour or two.  If you can't find a job in the oil fields, you can work on building up the stressed infrastructure.

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/04/8620188-oil-boom-brings-growing-pains-to-north-dakota-town

There's so much indiscriminate cash getting thrown around that they have to import in strippers worldwide, who make $2,000-3,000 a night in tips.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/25/strippers-in-williston-no_n_1030834.html

Granted, I don't think there are $60,000+ a year jobs for creative consultants that effete hand flappers gravitate towards but there are some work opportunities if times are getting that difficult.
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14668 on: November 06, 2011, 12:49:55 PM »
Williston is crazy. Im constantly reviewing contracts we sign out there. We bought hundreds of acres and have build hundreds of houses for a man camp out there and there still isn't enough space. One bedroom apartments are going for 1500 or more. People tell me fast food jobs pay 14 or 15 bucks an hour. If you can't get a job you don't want one.  Its probably the biggest US project for my company.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #14669 on: November 06, 2011, 04:18:26 PM »
Sounds like the American version of Fort McMurray, Alberta.
MMA

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14670 on: November 06, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »
pcp

« Reply #14671 on: November 06, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »

Okay ignoring the Ron Paul pimping, what do you more politically minded people think of this 1% on every level no exceptions idea? It sounds like it makes sense, but obviously it's being presented by someone who supports it. I just haven't heard of this plan and was hoping to get some opinions of people who know better than I.

I like the idea of a money tax.  Money gradually depletes in value by a percentage in the low single digits, with the difference going into the public trust and filtering back into the economy through schools/healthcare etc.  Kind of a tamed inflation.  I thought it up as an answer to the less crazy concerns raised by libertarian-types and then I found out I wholeheartedly support it.  Then I found out that somebody already thought it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freigeld  Impossible to scam and effectively a kind of 'flat tax' that isn't totally morally degenerate.  I've yet to see a serious argument put against it (though I admit also that pretty much nobody is aware of it).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:09:12 PM by Owl-faced Wizard »
ǚ

Oblivion

« Reply #14672 on: November 06, 2011, 11:55:01 PM »
So...do you guys think it'd be better for the libs if next year we had the White house but lost (further) control of congress, or if we lost the White House to Romney, but controlled at least one branch of congress?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:07:52 AM by Oblivion »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14673 on: November 06, 2011, 11:58:51 PM »
From a legislative perspective? Eh, I don't see a difference; we either get nothing with Obama in office/GOP house, or center-right legislative with Romney, which is what we've gotten from Obama for the most part. From a foreign policy/SC perspective though, major differences.

Romney would have to fuck up pretty bad to lose to Obama at this point

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14674 on: November 07, 2011, 12:55:35 AM »
Honestly, it's a question of whether you want things to sort of limp along for a while or if you want America to go Full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow at the same time as they get a box of shotguns to play with.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14675 on: November 07, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
A "statement of sincere religious belief or moral conviction" is neither a string of personal invective nor a physical attack.  On the contrary, a polite / civil "I believe / I was taught x" bullies no one.

I think Pierce's example of a physical beating is basically dishonest/wrong, but verbal bullying?  Sincerity doesn't preclude hate.  There's no reason to think Hazel Bryan was just trolling Elizabeth Eckford for lulz.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14676 on: November 07, 2011, 12:00:29 PM »
Dunno Dubya, Romney is all buddy buddy with Robert Bork

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14677 on: November 07, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »
I think this problem can be easily solved by making concerned religious citizens who use Leviticus to speak out against TEH GEY spend as much time speaking out about shellfish consumption, working on the Sabbath, planting different crops next to each other, wearing different kinds of fabric, etc.
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14678 on: November 07, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »
Hey guyz, remember when our founding fathers left the religious persecution of yurope to come to a free land?
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14679 on: November 07, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
oh shit, gloria allred is having a news conference w/ one of herman cain's accusers

white, middle aged republican

most importantly, WOULD
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14680 on: November 07, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
Allerd getting involves makes me more prone to believe Cain, tbh

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14681 on: November 07, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
lol @ Drudge focusing on the accuser being from Chicago

:drudge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14682 on: November 07, 2011, 02:51:02 PM »
CHICAGO POLITICS
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14683 on: November 07, 2011, 02:56:49 PM »
having watched the presser, she kinda sounds convincing. I think (some) conservatives will latch on to her admitting she met with Cain to beg him to get her job back, as if that  equals forward behavior that justifies sexual assault.

all that being said, I'd smash. milf pawg  :o :bow

Oblivion

« Reply #14684 on: November 07, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »
Pix?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14685 on: November 07, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »
JD:  Like whenever civil rights comes up, I think you're making a bit of a mistake by not taking into account the political context.  Legislation is not written in a vacuum, according to abstract principles.

Why was this included?  Who lobbied to include this?  What type of "sincere religious belief or moral conviction" did they expect to be categorized as bullying?

Readers struggling with these questions can find the answers at the end of your textbook:

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14686 on: November 08, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
Oh the conservative tears and gnashing of teeth on lunch break over the court upholding 'Obamacare' today. Long lines to the emergency room and rationed care and every other fox talking point they could remember to parrot. I just smiled and said,'That's what they say on the TV....'.

So if a conservative leaning appeals court is going to uphold it, why wouldn't the SC? Enjoying the proverbial kick in the nuts I'm witnessing though.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14687 on: November 08, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »
Including a Reagan judge. oh the bitter tears

I can't wait for the exchanges to go into effect and people will be like "wait, that's all? I can keep my doctor? I'm not going to be killed? Cool shit"

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14688 on: November 08, 2011, 02:06:51 PM »
Yeah, it'll be just like when all the fearmongering over Medicare in the 60's turned out to be baseless, so people admitted they had been wrong, calmed down, and didn't freak out the next time someone proposed a major government healthcare initiative!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:rofl
[close]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:'(
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14689 on: November 08, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »
so you're saying that in 40 years when President Tebow introduces his medicare fixes, old people will demand he keep his hands off their Obamacare?

Cheebo

« Reply #14690 on: November 08, 2011, 02:21:28 PM »
Does it really matter though? Seeing how if Romney wins the health care bill will be repealed anyway. The fate of it hinges on the outcome of next years election more than anything.
₩‰\

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14691 on: November 08, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
I don't think Romney would repeal it. It'll be pretty hard to get rid of the law actually, without blowing up the deficit among other things

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14692 on: November 08, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »
Yeah, sorry.  That law isn't going anywhere (unless ruled unconstitutional).  "Repeal" is a talking point for conservatives.  I don't believe for a second that any of the major contenders could or even would repeal it. 

Cheebo

« Reply #14693 on: November 08, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »
It's not really about whether Romney wants to repeal it or not. You don't think a tea party led GOP controlled senate and house (they already passed it in the house once iirc) wouldn't pass a repeal bill? And what would Romney do, veto it? Of course he wouldn't veto that.
₩‰\

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14694 on: November 08, 2011, 09:10:23 PM »
Well that about wraps it up for Herman Cain.
yar

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #14695 on: November 08, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »
I thought the same thing, but now I'm not so sure. I mean, if your party can successfully deny evolution, climate change, the existence of racism, economic disparity, the success of the stimulus, etc. ... What's denying a few sex scandals but the sprinkles on the sundae? I expect Cain's 25% to double down.
乱学者

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14696 on: November 08, 2011, 09:41:10 PM »
I think his biggest problem with that is that his supporters aren't really "for" him so much as they're for "not Mitt Romney". 
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14697 on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
It's not really about whether Romney wants to repeal it or not. You don't think a tea party led GOP controlled senate and house (they already passed it in the house once iirc) wouldn't pass a repeal bill? And what would Romney do, veto it? Of course he wouldn't veto that.

At the least, republicans are going to lose a lot of seats next year; they'll probably hold their majority due to gerrymandering but there won't be nearly enough republicans to repeal anything. Same with the senate. I honestly think most republicans know the bill is a relatively conservative piece of legislation, and while their base is pissed that won't convince them to completely repeal it.

They've had two years to offer up an alternative and haven't. I'd imagine republicans would instead repeal the mandate, add tort reform, allow people to buy insurance across state lines, and add some meaningless "Freedom To Keep Your Doctor" amendment that doesn't do anything, then move on.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2011/01/repealing_health-care_reform_w.html
http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/cbo-gop-health-care-repeal-adds-230-billion-deficit

To make matters worse, without a replacement bill republicans would be kicking college kids off their parent's insurance and taking insurance from those with pre-existing conditions. I'm not saying republicans give a shit about any of that from an ideological perspective, but it would garner negative backlash. They need a replacement bill. Perhaps Romney's people are working on something, who knows. But I don't believe the bill will magically be fucked if Romney wins.

He has promised to let all states opt out of the plan. Many states wouldn't, even some red ones.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14698 on: November 08, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »
Kasich and Issue 2 lose in Ohio.  Looks like the crazy anti-abortion issue in MI of all places might lose as well. 

edit: Maine also approved same day registration. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:07:38 PM by Creepy Old Guy »
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14699 on: November 08, 2011, 10:57:21 PM »
Tea Partiers don't hate the ACA, they hate the "Obamacare" bogeyman.  So they'd care more about a symbolic gesture showing that Obama was finally banished from their healthcare than any set of actual policy changes.

My guess is that President Romney, with a GOP Congress, would shepherd through some pro-business tweaks (like optional Medicare vouchers) and a few token changes to stuff like the comparative effectiveness research Death Panels which would be spun as a full repeal and replacement.  You know, "replacing a burdensome government takeover of health care with common sense reforms that give Americans more choices, make care more affordable, and keep bureaucrats from telling you what care you can receive."

Basically I think he'd declare victory and go home.

And good on Ohio.  Let's please stop scapegoating teachers and cops for unemployment and budget shortfalls caused by the financial sector.  It's not a good look.