Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1880569 times)

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #15840 on: January 16, 2012, 12:42:39 AM »
You'd better fucking vote if you are in NC

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #15841 on: January 16, 2012, 01:09:10 AM »
what state do you live in again?

NC.  If it's close I guess I'll vote.

It'll be close. Obama won NC by less than 500k votes last time

I wish I lived in MA so I could just vote for Elizabeth Warren

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #15842 on: January 16, 2012, 01:40:58 AM »

i was too distracted by the inconsistent typography to pay attention to the message
QED

« Reply #15843 on: January 16, 2012, 02:09:05 AM »
There are parts of Huntsman I like and he's better than the rest of the GOP field, but he's still incredibly conservative on social issues, so I wouldn't vote for him.
野球

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #15844 on: January 16, 2012, 02:26:11 AM »

Oh hey I live in MA. During Bush's reelection campaign in '04 he just sent is daughters over here in a 'yYeah we're not fucking winning this state ever but thanks for supporting us anyway!' gesture. Kind of weird that they seemingly never have a chance here but we inexplicably put Mitt in as governor but since when have politics ever made any sense?
Hi

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15845 on: January 16, 2012, 02:30:58 AM »
On the presidential level I would never vote for a Republican. I would either vote for the Democrat or not vote if I just couldn't stand the Democratic candidate. There is just too much stuff where a president is beholden to his party and has to do certain things to satisfy the base or get the support of other politicians in his party. Look at someone like John McCain and all his "Maverick" foolishness for example. That's not to say I couldn't recognize that some Republican candidates would be far worse towards my beliefs than others. Hunstman is one of the "better" Republicans for my personal beliefs but I still wouldn't have voted for him. Heck on foreign policy I agree with Ron Paul more than I do with the Democratic positions. The Republican Party would need to fundamentally change though before I cast a vote on that side.

Now on lower level elections there are Republican candidates I could see myself potentially voting for. Especially in Liberal states. I thought Charlie Christ was a good Republican governor to pick a random example not that Florida is liberal.

I've voted for every Democratic presidential candidate starting with Clinton in 92 except for John Kerry. I don't think he was a bad man. Just a very weak candidate and I was really pissed off at pretty much everything around that election. Especially at Democrats for being so fearful of Bush and the crazy shit that was going on around that time. That was my "protest" no vote. Although I was living in California at the time so it didn't really matter. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:40:45 AM by Stoney Mason »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15846 on: January 16, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »
I live in Texas.  My presidential vote never counts.

Cheebo

« Reply #15847 on: January 16, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
I live in Texas.  My presidential vote never counts.
At the rate the solidly democratic hispanic population is growing in Texas it will count at somepoint in your life time.
₩‰\

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15848 on: January 16, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »
I think we've discussed this before but there are a ton of hispanics that still support conservatives in this state.  Even illegals I know who would vote for people who want them thrown out of this country.  It's mind boggling.  Republicans could (not saying they will) steal their votes if they played it right.  You have no idea how much I hear about Obama from my in laws and it's the same Neocon talking points.  It's just that on most social issues hispanics are firmly conservative. 

Hell, I was watching Univision news yesterday morning and they were shit talking Obama over immigration and throwing their support to Perry and to a lesser extent Romney.  It doesn't make sense to me but oh well. 

And for this particular election there are so many hispanics pissed about the increase in deportations and Obama's failure to enact reform/amnesty that they're looking to vote for someone else.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, that is issue #1.  They will vote for whoever promises them amnesty/reform for their family members and friends.  If a Republican promises change then that's who they'll go for.  That's why they voted for Obama but they're pissed because his first term flew by and he didn't attempt major reform.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #15849 on: January 16, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »

Correction- Obama won NC by less than FIFTEEN THOUSAND votes in 2008, which just makes me think there's no fucking way he wins this time.  But if it's polling within 5% I'll schlep my ass to the polls and vote.  I may vote anyway just because there's a Governor's election as well and I can't see myself being enthused by a potential GOP Guv.
yar

Cheebo

« Reply #15850 on: January 16, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
I think we've discussed this before but there are a ton of hispanics that still support conservatives in this state.  Even illegals I know who would vote for people who want them thrown out of this country.  It's mind boggling.  Republicans could (not saying they will) steal their votes if they played it right.  You have no idea how much I hear about Obama from my in laws and it's the same Neocon talking points.  It's just that on most social issues hispanics are firmly conservative. 

Hell, I was watching Univision news yesterday morning and they were shit talking Obama over immigration and throwing their support to Perry and to a lesser extent Romney.  It doesn't make sense to me but oh well. 

And for this particular election there are so many hispanics pissed about the increase in deportations and Obama's failure to enact reform/amnesty that they're looking to vote for someone else.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, that is issue #1.  They will vote for whoever promises them amnesty/reform for their family members and friends.  If a Republican promises change then that's who they'll go for.  That's why they voted for Obama but they're pissed because his first term flew by and he didn't attempt major reform.
Romney won't shut up about how pro-Amesty Obama is and how he will have much harsher illegal immagration policy. Republicans at the national level don't seem the slightest bit interested in appealing to the hispanic vote right now. Which is mind boggling.
₩‰\

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15851 on: January 16, 2012, 01:47:47 PM »
Yep.  Agreed.  They have no interest in courting hispanics even though a large percentage of them want to support Republicans.  But I guess the angry elderly white vote is more important to them than the hispanic vote.  But at some point the hispanic vote will be way too huge for right wingers to ignore even if it's at the cost of the rural hick vote.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15852 on: January 16, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
I bet Romney will barely get 40% of the Hispanic vote. The question is whether Hispanics will show up in 08 numbers or will turnout be lower

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15853 on: January 16, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
I'm guessing lower.  No one is really courting them (yet at least).  The "stole our jobs" crowd are way too sensitive this go around and I think that mentality has only spread since '08 with the tea party nonsense that's gained ground since then.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:37:40 PM by Mupepe »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #15854 on: January 16, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »
I think I'm just going to vote for Nader or write in someone for President this year.  I got to thinking about how piss poor Obama's track record was on the shit that was important to me when I went for him at the caucuses at 2008 (transparency, accountability, etc.).  Not to mention the numerous balls that were dropped at critical moments in 2009 where some things could have really changed for the better.
🍆🍆

Oblivion

« Reply #15855 on: January 16, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15856 on: January 16, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
Romney's dad was born in Mexico? omg he's ineligible to be president :drudge

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15857 on: January 17, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »
His dad actually faced some of that in his '68 bid (some assume Nixon's camp was behind it) and then he gave that whole "brainwashing" interview about Vietnam and nobody cared anymore. Both his parents were Americans though, the Romney clan just absconded to Mexico because of that silly polygamy thing.

I'm pretty sure Nixon named him to head HUD just to screw with him for four years.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #15858 on: January 17, 2012, 02:28:28 AM »
as gawd-awful as Bush jr. was, at least he didn't have his head all the way up his ass about immigration reform.  If hispanics ever do become a reliable GOP block (and I'm not counting on that as they seemingly exist forever as a rage-fueled party) it could be because W laid the groundwork for them.

Wouldn't that be weird, if the true successor to Reagan in building a legacy of conservative support, turned out to be George W. Bush?

benjipwns

« Reply #15859 on: January 17, 2012, 03:03:42 AM »
New Paul ad:

New Santorum ad:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/16/activists-say-pro-santorum-vote-was-rigged/
In an evolving power struggle, religious conservatives are feuding about whether a weekend meeting in Texas yielded a consensus that former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum is the best bet to stop Mitt Romney’s drive for the Republican presidential nomination.

A leading evangelical and former aide to President George H.W. Bush said he agreed with suspicions voiced by others at the meeting of evangelical and conservative Catholic activists that organizers “manipulated” the gathering and may even have stuffed the ballot to produce an endorsement of Mr. Santorum over former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Mr. Santorum, who nearly upset Mr. Romney in the Iowa caucuses, won the first ballot ahead of Mr. Gingrich in Saturday’s Texas meeting but the margin was too slim for organizers to claim a consensus. It was not until the third ballot, taken after many people had left to catch flights back home, that Mr. Santorum won more than 70 percent of those still in attendance and claimed the endorsement.

Former White House evangelical-outreach official Doug Wead, who represented GOP presidential hopeful Texas Rep. Ron Paul at the event, said it appeared the outcome obviously was determined in advance by the choice of the people invited.

“By the time the weekend was over, it was clear that this had been definitely planned all along as a Rick Santorum event,” Mr. Wead said, noting that he was the only supporter of Mr. Paul to receive an invitation.

“The organizer was for Santorum, the person who created the invitation list was for Santorum, the emcee was for Santorum, and after making sure all of the Gingrich people had vented early, the last three speakers before the vote were for Santorum,” he said.

Added a Gingrich supporter, a prominent social conservative who asked not to be named, “My view is that the vote was manipulated.”

Yet another evangelical political organizer who attended the meeting said he witnessed a possible incident of ballot-box stuffing. In at least one instance, the witness said, a participant was seen writing Mr. Santorum´s name on four separate ballots and putting all four in the box.

Another candidate quiz thing:
http://www.votesmart.org/voteeasy/
1. Gary Johnson: 90%
2. Ron Paul: 81%
Obviously.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:46:31 AM by benjipwns »

Cheebo

« Reply #15860 on: January 17, 2012, 09:21:30 AM »
as gawd-awful as Bush jr. was, at least he didn't have his head all the way up his ass about immigration reform.  If hispanics ever do become a reliable GOP block (and I'm not counting on that as they seemingly exist forever as a rage-fueled party) it could be because W laid the groundwork for them.

Wouldn't that be weird, if the true successor to Reagan in building a legacy of conservative support, turned out to be George W. Bush?
Republicans from border states like Bush (and Perry) tend to be pretty sensible on immigration policy and hispanic voters in general because they actually have to deal with it. It's the more northern Republicans like Romney who never had to deal with it themselves who tend to enjoy saying the "DEM MESSICANS ARE STEALING OUR JOBS" sort of nonsense.
₩‰\

benjipwns

« Reply #15861 on: January 17, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »
I think the northerners (old Republicans in the New England area at least) are totally fine with it as well, IIRC, Romney got savaged for his immigration positions in 2008 before he found the right ones. McCain was almost enemy number one in late 2006 or so when Bush wanted the "amnesty" and he ended up the nominee.

The Bush camp deliberately wanted to win over Hispanics no matter what to solidify GOP power. He won them solidly in Texas because he was willing to play to them as a base. "Compassionate conservative" was not just for crackers, the religion play up along with government programs to improve schools, etc. that was all part of the Hispanic selling. I believe the number was 35-40%. If you could get close to that, you were golden as a Republican. Rove got a ton of attention for his strategy to get the religious out, but he had started back in Bush's first run trying to break Democratic holds on certain blocs like Hispanics because he recognizes their future political power.

On that topic, I think this is, discounting delivery, one of Bush's best speeches and one of the better Presidential speeches of modern times, the ending parts starting at like 30 minutes in the video anyway:
http://www.archive.org/details/gwb_urbanl
http://www.presidentialrhetoric.com/campaign/speeches/bush_july23.html

I also liked the speech before I watched Journeys with George this weekend: (first part) Liked it when he gave it. Not enough to vote, but still.

And I wanted to impeach the guy in Spring 2002.

EDIT: To quote the part from the speech for ease:
I'm here for another reason. I'm here to ask for your vote. (Applause.)

No, I know, I know, I know. The Republican party has got a lot of work to do. I understand that. (Laughter and applause.) You didn't need to nod your head that hard, Jesse. (Laughter.)

Do you remember a guy named Charlie Gaines? Somebody gave me a quote he said, which I think kind of describes the environment we're in today. I think he's a friend of Jesse's. He said, "Blacks are gagging on the donkey but not yet ready to swallow the elephant." (Laughter and applause.)

Now that was said a while ago. (Laughter.) I believe you've got to earn the vote and seek it. I think you've got to go to people and say, this is my heart, this is what I believe, and I'd like your help. And as I do, I'm going to ask African American voters to consider some questions.

Does the Democrat party take African American voters for granted? (Applause.) It's a fair question. I know plenty of politicians assume they have your vote. But do they earn it and do they deserve it? (Applause.) Is it a good thing for the African American community to be represented mainly by one political party? That's a legitimate question. (Applause.) How is it possible to gain political leverage if the party is never forced to compete? (Applause.) Have the traditional solutions of the Democrat party truly served the African American community?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15862 on: January 17, 2012, 01:42:51 PM »
Obviously.

Obama 60% and Johnson 56%, Newt also polled surprisingly high for me  :-\

If only there was a socially progressive, fiscally middle-of-the-road candidate that supported defense spending. I think I ask for too many contradictions in things.

I do like Paul (even though I may not necessarily agree with him over a lot of things), but Obama is probably gonna get my vote. Even though I am really miffed about NDAA, I think it sets an extremely dangerous precedent. Not to mention cowtailing to corporate interests and the Republican conglomerate.

Might have to look into Johnson some more, considering where I live it doesn't matter who I vote for so I can "waste" it on a 3rd party if need be.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:46:13 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15863 on: January 17, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
84% Obama
57% Huntsman
52% Gary Johnson
49% Newt Gingrich
26% Ron Paul
39% Romney

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15864 on: January 17, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
Obviously.

Obama - 91%
Huntsman - 51%
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15865 on: January 17, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
You and I would make great life partners if it wasn't for your anime love, Great Rumbler.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15866 on: January 17, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
I guess we'd have to settle for being the Odd Couple then.
dog

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #15867 on: January 17, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »

This is amazing.
wtc

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15868 on: January 17, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
Obviously.

Obama 60% and Johnson 56%, Newt also polled surprisingly high for me  :-\

If only there was a socially progressive, fiscally middle-of-the-road candidate that supported defense spending. I think I ask for too many contradictions in things.

I do like Paul (even though I may not necessarily agree with him over a lot of things), but Obama is probably gonna get my vote. Even though I am really miffed about NDAA, I think it sets an extremely dangerous precedent. Not to mention cowtailing to corporate interests and the Republican conglomerate.

Might have to look into Johnson some more, considering where I live it doesn't matter who I vote for so I can "waste" it on a 3rd party if need be.

Why in the blue fuck would you want MORE military spending?  We spend too fucking much anyway.  We could cut like 25% of our military spending and still EASILY spend way more than any other nation.  Are you crazy or is this a "I lived in/around NYC on 9/11 and am nervous" thing?
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #15869 on: January 17, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
Why in the blue fuck would you want MORE military spending?  We spend too fucking much anyway.  We could cut like 25% of our military spending and still EASILY spend way more than any other nation.  Are you crazy or is this a "I lived in/around NYC on 9/11 and am nervous" thing?

He works for a military contractor.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15870 on: January 17, 2012, 02:30:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is amazing.

Oh man, it might as well be mid April here in Michigan. Very rainy and wet; hell I had to take the bus from school today due to the rain being too ridiculous.

We've had two snow storms this winter, and both only generated about 2-3 inches. Two days later the snow totally disappeared

:bow

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15871 on: January 17, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »

He works for a military contractor.

Yup. Plus there's the argument that defense spending allows for R&D that eventually spurs innovations in the commercial sector (ARPANET being an obvious example). But for me it's entirely about job security :P

The thing I don't understand about or "defense" budget is don't we have the technology to level any country without ever having troops set foot already? So why do we need to spend the money to maintain so many bases and troops all over the world? World police etc etc.

It's all about projection of power and controlling the world's oceans. The Next 100 Years by George Friedman is a great explanation on America's long-term foreign policy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:43:22 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15872 on: January 17, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
I agree with Tiesto.  Even if you don't agree with Friedman's predictions his explanation of the importance of the US Navy to long term foreign policy is extremely interesting. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15873 on: January 17, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
That's fine and good if, you know, we didn't have massively shitty infrastructure, education, health issues and poverty happening in the country right now while we're building jets we don't even need in 40 fucking states so everybody can get in on the pork trough.  Pour some tussin on it, get a new job and shut the fuck up in the meantime is my viewpoint.
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15874 on: January 17, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
One of my biggest issues with Democrats is how essentially because of losing so many elections they changed their defense spending philosophy to ape the Republican side because it was losing them votes. If anything tempts me to vote for Ron Paul its when he talks about stopping America being the police force of the world and to cut military spending. He is very eloquent and impassioned on that subject (although even he waffles on the subject to satisfy the mouth breather section of that party) and over my life time that's also the position I've come to. Of course I'd rather see that money spent on infrastructure and health and social things in this country which is where he and I completely split.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:34:36 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15875 on: January 17, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »
I legit think he believes all that stuff. The problem is even if he did it would be very hard to get people in either party to go along with that stuff. American Power is arguably too invested in being in everybody's business. If I didn't find the rest of his views on social issues and economic issues utterly abhorrent I could almost vote for him.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15876 on: January 17, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
That's fine and good if, you know, we didn't have massively shitty infrastructure, education, health issues and poverty happening in the country right now while we're building jets we don't even need in 40 fucking states so everybody can get in on the pork trough.  Pour some tussin on it, get a new job and shut the fuck up in the meantime is my viewpoint.

Yeah, because cutting the defense budget means that money will go to infrastructure/education/healthcare :rolleyes

It's gonna go to tax breaks for the 1% and you know it.
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15877 on: January 17, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »
Not if we elect a real lunatic.  Vote Creepy Old Guy in 2012!
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15878 on: January 17, 2012, 05:35:11 PM »

Yeah, because cutting the defense budget means that money will go to infrastructure/education/healthcare :rolleyes

It's gonna go to tax breaks for the 1% and you know it.

that'd definitely be the case if Paul is elected
püp

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15879 on: January 17, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »
Hey now, I never said the money couldn't be used better elsewhere.  I said it was interesting dagnabbit.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #15880 on: January 17, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »
In an era where people think the government wastes 51 cents to every dollar it spends, you'd have to be stupid or naive to assume that 100% of those defense cuts would go towards infrastructure or education.  Instead, you'd be more likely to have teabaggers shouting that we should get that money back in the form of tax cuts (disproportionately stacked towards the top 1% of course) or at best, some kind of payroll tax credit.

That is if we were to ever make meaningful slashes to a non-war time defense budget, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon.  tiesto isn't going to have to worry about losing his job.
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15881 on: January 17, 2012, 06:03:35 PM »
Also, if the GOP gets control over the Senate, House and Presidency we'll have a war with Iran to deal with pretty soon.  In the interest of your own well being tiesto, obviously you should vote a straight Republican ticket.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15882 on: January 17, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »
To be fair it's not like Obama isn't on the edge of attacking Iran. We're basically in "get up in their face and dare them to push you" bully stage.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #15883 on: January 17, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »
Last I heard the US was trying to put out fires between Israel and Iran before anyone does anything crazy (like Osirak 2 or mining the Strait of Hormuz), but I haven't been following it super closely.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #15884 on: January 18, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »
I read something about Russia saying an attack on Tehran is an attack on Moscow, not for sure on the validity of that though.

Link?

edit:  I typed the line into google, and it spits out a bunch of links that all source back to this one:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/151739#.TxZUQG9SS5L

The headline says "an attack on Tehran is an attack on Moscow", but that quote is nowhere to be found in the meat of the article.

The only quotes from Russian officials are the outgoing ambassador to NATO saying "“Iran is our neighbor, And if Iran is involved in any military action, it’s a direct threat to our security", which, in diplo-speak, is not nearly the same as the headline.

And then the Kremlin security council head saying "“But at the same time, we believe that any country has the right to have what it needs to feel comfortable, including Iran"

So, even without digging into what sort of credibility that site has, there's nothing remotely close to the sort of "blank cheque" security guarantee by Russia to Iran.  That sort of language would have been unprecedented by Russia.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:15:27 AM by Boogie »
MMA

benjipwns

« Reply #15886 on: January 18, 2012, 05:18:06 AM »
What are those guys in white jackets? They aren't labeled.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #15887 on: January 18, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »
Boogie I feel bad you researched all that! I just read it as a blurb somewhere  :-[

Don't be, I like digging.  I think I have some sort of psychological compulsion or something.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:13:49 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15888 on: January 18, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »
http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/99666/ron-paul-newsletters-part-two?page=0,1

A 1992 issue of the Political Report featured an article headlined, “What Blacks Think,” which concluded that “they have some odd political opinions.”

lol
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #15889 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:17 PM »
How do black people "demand" pay checks anyway?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #15890 on: January 18, 2012, 11:08:12 PM »
I think he played a very active role in his newsletters.  The idea that he just let neoconfederates and panconservatives run wild writing far right nuttery with his name on the top without knowing what was really on the letters doesn't wash.  Maybe he didn't write all of those articles but I'm sure he approved them or knew what was going on.  I think at the time, they didn't have the foresight to think that Ron Lawl would be taken seriously outside of Austrian economic circle jerks and right wing fantasies of an upcoming race war.  Now that he is a novelty, saying "I didn't do it" is probably the only semi-plausible attempt to weasel out of them.
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15891 on: January 19, 2012, 12:01:34 AM »
Why sling mud when I can have my buddy do it for me?
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15892 on: January 19, 2012, 12:05:27 AM »
I think it's a case of him recognizing his base is batshit crazy and letting his surrogates run wild in order to maximize campaign donations. He's on record in 1995 talking about how great his newsletter is, it's not like he had no idea.

It's the same with republicans who insinuate Obama isn't American while talking to hardcore wingers in their district, then disavowing any knowledge of it when challenged by a national reporter on television. If the base believes

benjipwns

« Reply #15893 on: January 19, 2012, 01:43:55 AM »
Rothbard and Rockwell went through this thing where they felt the evil libertines with their atonal music and weird architecture were holding back libertarianism and the right way forward was to sell it to either Pat Buchanan style Republicans (Rothbard) or "regular Americans" (Rockwell) and what do regular Americans love? God plus hating blacks, immigrants, gays and Jews. And if Republicans are on board with that, two birds one stone.

http://mises.org/journals/liberty/Liberty_Magazine_January_1990.pdf (Page 34)
Quote from: Rockwell
In its 17-year history, the LP may never have gotten 1% in a national election, but it has smeared the most glorious political idea in human history with libertine muck. For the sake of that glorious idea, it's time to get out the scrub brushes.

Most Americans agree that aggression against the innocent and their property is wrong. Although these millions are potential libertarians, they are put off by the Woodstockian flavor of the movement. Hair may have left Broadway long ago, but the Age of Aquarius survives in the LP. The cultural anti-norms that mark the libertarian image are abhorrent; they have nothing to do with libertarianism per se; and they are deadly baggage. Unless we dump that baggage, we will miss the greatest opportunity in decades.

unless we cleanse libertarianism of its cultural image, our movement will fail as miserably as the LP has. We will continue to be seen as a sect that "resists authority" and not just statism, that endorses the behaviors it would legalize, and that rejects the standards of Western civilization. Arguments against the drug war, no matter how intellectually compelling, are undermined when they come from the party of the stoned.

It is...understandable and desirable that libertarianism have a cultural tone, but not that it be anti-religious, modernist, morally relativist, and egalitarian. This tone rightly repels the vast majority of Americans and has helped keep libertarianism such a small movement.

Libertarians have to catch up with the American people, who are fed up with modernism in arts, literature, and manners that is really an attack on the West.

Pornographic photography, "free" thinking, chaotic painting, atonal music, deconstructionist literature, Bauhaus architecture, and modernist films have nothing in common with the libertarian political agenda-no matter how much individual libertarians may revel in them. In addition to their aesthetic and moral disabilities, these "art forms" are political liabilities outside Berkeley and Greenwich Village.

The present State monopoly over the production of domestic security is a failure. The streets of our big cities have become the realm of barbarians (if that is not a libel against the Visigoths).

Libertarians can and must talk again with the resurgent paleoconservatives, now in the process of breaking away from the neocons. We can even form an alliance with them.

Together, we have a chance to attain victory. But first we must junk the libertarian image as repugnant, self-defeating, and unworthy of liberty.

Paul responded on page 50 of a later issue: http://mises.org/journals/liberty/Liberty_Magazine_March_1990.pdf
I hesitate to comment on Rockwell's article because I see the debate as being more divisive than productive. I prefer to use my energy attacking those who support statism, whether they do so intentionally or out of ignorance.

Having said this, I will make one comment: it's obvious to me that the Libertarian Party would be a lot bigger than it is now if its image were perceived as more libertarian and less libertine.

From that NYTimes article a few weeks ago:
Crane, a longtime critic of Mr. Rockwell, called Mr. Paul's close association with him "one of the more perplexing things I've ever come across in my 67 years." He added: "I wish Ron would condemn these fringe things that float around because of Rockwell. I don't believe he believes any of that stuff."

Mr. Paul said in the interview that he did not, but he declined to condemn Mr. Rockwell, saying he did not want to get in the middle of a fight. "I could understand that, but I could also understand the Rothbard group saying, Why don't you quit talking to Cato?" he said.

Mr. Paul described Mr. Rockwell and Mr. Rothbard as political provocateurs. "They enjoyed antagonizing people, to tell you the truth, and trying to split people," he said. "I thought, we're so small, why shouldn't we be talking to everybody and bringing people together?"

I think Ron basically just wants to keep the small libertarian coalition together warts and all because, as he noted, it's so small in the first place.

Rothbard pissed at Crane and the Koch over Cato plus those damn libertines taking over the LP: http://mises.org/journals/lf/1981/1981_01-04.pdf
Koch-hating, especially those "cosmotarians" who just want to attend cocktail parties in D.C. and thus don't support TRUE liberty as passed down from the tomes of Lew Rockwell has been around for ages in the Libertarian infighting before others discovered the Koch's secret evil plot to destroy the government through funding NOVA. (Which is a crime in Rockwell land, they should be destroying the state not funding their programming!)

The Objectivists reject voting for Paul because he doesn't believe in "defending our rights and liberties" by bombing Iran immediately and North Korea and China next. (And completely shutting off all global trade with China in the mean time.) The Rockwellites refuse to support Gary Johnson because he thinks there should be incremental changes towards liberty and that sometimes there are least bad options available for now like gay marriage rather than smashing the state immediately over night. A lot of the Libertarian Party members refuse to support him because he was a Republican candidate and thus is distrustful. (These are the people calling on Jesse Ventura to come back from Mexico to become the party nominee.)  The Rockwellites and Paultards were running around attacking libertarians who even mentioned the newsletters as traitors who were undermining Ron Paul and how they'd be the ones to blame if he didn't win the Republican nomination and that this was an intentional plot by Koch and Cato to defeat Ron Paul and Lew Rockwell so they could maintain their popularity and power in D.C. Then there's the people who always support Republicans and reject Ron Paul because he can't win the nomination and thus the best thing for libertarians is to support Mitt Romney in the primary and general election.

And some guy who is convinced that Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are the biggest threats to liberty and libertarianism because they're promoting the idea that the electoral system can work to protect liberty. And that what libertarians should really do is help build up the police state so that people will revolt and restore liberty.

Fringe political movements are great. You've got the same exact thing on the other side but formally organized with all those 2-5,000 vote socialist/communist parties. The old Socialist Labor Party's had Debs split off the Socialist Party and then their split off Workers World Party and their splitters in the Party for Socialism and Liberation.

My favorite of the fascist/Nazi spin-offs is http://www.american3rdposition.org/ because they "aren't white supremacists" they just believe it's the job of the government to protect white people and maintain their culture because it's objectively the best. That's all.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #15894 on: January 19, 2012, 01:58:45 AM »
 >:( those damned libertines besmirchin our image with the common folk with their atonal music and their sans serif fonts  >:(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:04:16 AM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

benjipwns

« Reply #15895 on: January 19, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »
http://palinsdirtylittlesecret.blogspot.com/

Code or coincidence?
Sarah Palin and John McCain claimed to be a Mavericks
Mark Cuban owns the Dallas Mavericks
Obama claims his basketball name was Barack O'Bomber
Sarah Palin claims her basketball name is Sarah Barracuda
Obama claims to have been born in Hawaii
Sarah Palin claims to have attended school at Hawaii Hilo and graduated from U of Idaho in Moscow Idaho
Sarah Palin claims to be able to see Russia from her house
Mark Cuban was under investigation for insider trading of a search engine company named Mamma
Sarah Palin claims to be a Mama Grizzly
Obama was a Chicago Senator
Chicago Bears Chicago Cubs Mama Grizzly
Gayle King was a news anchor
Sarah Palin was a news anchor

Code or coincidence?
Sarah Palin claims to have graduated for University of Idaho in Moscow Idaho
Sarah claims she can see Russia from her house
The longtime leader of Russia was Vladimir Putin
Putin Palin
McCain claimed his favorite band is ABBA which is a palindrome
Another palindrome is the last name of George SoRoS
Long time enemy of Israel is Palestine
The Palin name appears close to many things
More facts:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
You may remember Carly Fiorina ran for Senate in California
One of the codes you may have picked up on I haven't mentioned yet is the repeating of the paired letters MA. MArk Cuban Dallas MAvericks and owner of MAgnolia Pictures investor in MAmma search engine. Sarah Palin is a MAma Grizzly.

What caused the last economic meltdown and forced taxpayer bail outs? The housing crisis. Loans were given to everyone through Freddie MAe and Fannie MAc. I wonder what NEWt gingRICH would make of this site? Newt made a lot of money speaking as a consultant for Freddie.
The First Die Hard came out in 1988 around the time John McCain was elected to the Arizona Senate. The guy that fights the terrorists (who were robbing the place) in Die Hard was named John McClane. The person who played John McClane (drop the L and it sounds different) was Bruce Willis.

Duplication of code or coincidence?
Sarah Palin's siblings names are Heather Heath Bruce and Molly Heath McCann. Sarah Palin's daughter Piper, the name of a plane, shares a birthday of March 19th with actor Bruce Willis.
Sarah Palin wasn't only chosen to be McCain's running mate because they needed someone who could act stupid for the media to attack and play an average American Hockey mom who was in a Miss Alaska pageant. She was also chosen for her face. When I first went to the FBI all I knew was that there was a large extremely intelligent group of scam artists online who 3 of which looked like their most wanted terrorists. Over time I've been able to deduce everything else. "Sarah Palin," or whomever she is, was chosen with the intention of her being played on SNL by Tina Fey. Sarah Palin also claims her mother-in-law's name is Faye Palin. you may remember McCain and his wife appearing on SNL during the campaign mocking home shopping.

Tina Fey is one of the writers of 30 Rock which takes place at the GE building in Rockefeller Center. As for GE, I'm not sure what General Electric makes of the general electorate.

Through endless interrogations it's been implied to me that the writers on 30 Rock (Tina Fey) had a hand in writing the Rich Jerk sales pitch. After reading this watch the first season of 30 Rock. Lorrie Morgan Ferrero was mentioned earlier. Tracy Morgan plays Tracy Jordan on 30 Rock. There's also a character named Toofer, a black Harvard guy which is where they claimed the name Toofer came from. A member of Tracy Jordan's entourage is named Dot Com on the show. Last, Stompernet promoted by the Rich Jerk included the name Brad Fallon. Weren't Fey, Fallon, and Morgan all on SNL around the same time? Some group with serious writing skills is behind all of these money making schemes.
[close]
Sarah Palin had to drop out of the race due to people leaking this story. Herman Cain appeared to be following closely in her footsteps in that there was an illusion created around him as well. These online scams are heavily tied to the Atlanta, Georgia area. Robert Johnson Rich Jerk Tony Rezko owns several dozen Papa John's PIZZA places. The Rich Jerk website wanted terrorist Saif al-Adel aka Mark Joyner claims to be the GODFATHER of internet marketing. Sarah Palin ran with John McCAIN in 2008. CAIN appears to be Atlanta + Pizza + Godfather = the next Pentagon plant.

The stories surrounding Cain are as made up as Palin's. How about the ones with anonymous people claiming sexual harassment? He's discrediting the media the same way Sarah Palin did. Cain's wife is Gloria. One woman's attorney is Gloria Allred. Then a week or so later Barney Frank announced he's not seeking reelection while Cain acquires a new accuser named Ginger White. Interesting name since Gingrich is now supposedly leading in the polls and Cain endorsed him. Over the last 6 months I have been blocked from linking to this blog at about 5 or 6 sites. The day before Cain announced he's not running I was blocked by 4 sites on that day alone.
This story is getting harder and harder to leak. Today I was blocked after leaking this to a Sarah Palin story at the Huffington Post after having an account there for about 6 months. Not only am I locked out of most sites for commenting, like many others it appears, sites are no longer allowing links and major stories are being pushed off to places that next to no one gets a comment on (except government). In addition, I'm hacked nonstop so I receive endless errors, screen freezes, and display ads loading in comment fields. Share this story for the sake of our freedom and democracy. Thank you fellow patriots.
:usacry
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:22:36 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #15896 on: January 19, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »
Perry out:
Texas Gov. Rick Perry will end his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination Thursday and endorse Newt Gingrich, POLITICO has confirmed. An announcement is scheduled for 11 a.m. in South Carolina.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15897 on: January 19, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »
Perry's name starts with a P. You know what else starts with a P? Palin. Palin also dropped out of the Republican race. Coincidence? Or proof that the Trilateral Commission is trying to mind control me?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:41:17 AM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15898 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
I can't access youtube right now, but I recall either seeing/reading something where Ron Paul actually defended a lot of the racist arguments made in his newsletter until he got on the campaign trail and he started using the "it was someone else" line.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15899 on: January 19, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »
I'm sure it's in my history at home.  I'll dig it up when I get home.