Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870797 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #16140 on: February 08, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »
I was friends with Mandark on facebook at one point.  I think ???

You still are!

But Patel unfriended me.  :'(

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #16141 on: February 08, 2012, 12:24:14 AM »
Oh and yeah, looks like the double whammy of Mitt Romney's tax return and the doesn't care about the poor comment might have had a big effect.

...with REPUBLICANS???
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #16142 on: February 08, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »

:-\

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16143 on: February 08, 2012, 01:05:30 AM »
aaaaand CNN has called Colorado for Santorum.  A sweep... I can't really use the word "clean" in reference to Sen. Frothy Mixture, but a sweep nonetheless!  This looks absolutely shitty for Romney and since there's not another real primary (sorry Guam) until Feb. 28th... this should get discussed to death, making for a nice long Bataan death march of a primary for ol' Mittens.  Obama has to be hammering Michelle tonight in celebration.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16144 on: February 08, 2012, 01:09:01 AM »

this can't be life  :lol

I guess the next month will be filled with a trillion dollar ads of anti-Santorum ads from Romney's PACz

Oblivion

« Reply #16145 on: February 08, 2012, 01:40:47 AM »
I didn't even realize there were primaries today, and Santorum's running amok?

And three of them, in fact! Didn't hear jack shit from any of the blogs about this happening today either.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16146 on: February 08, 2012, 01:43:12 AM »
The problem is that Santorum netted like 3 more delegates than Romney tonight, tho.  MO is a non-binding (no delegates awarded) primary and in the other two not many delegates were awarded, and were done so proportionately rather than winner take all.

But seriously, WHOOOO SANTORUM!  Like the media will talk about that at all.  They'll be playing with their new catnip "Santorum Sweep" toy for weeks, the idiots.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16147 on: February 08, 2012, 02:04:35 AM »

Obama reacting to Santorum's sweep.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
...or what is clearly the best Science Fair entry ever, the EXTREME MARSHMALLOW CANNON
[close]
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16148 on: February 08, 2012, 02:08:33 AM »
It was technically legal to kill Mormons in Missouri until 1976? Hm, you learn something every day

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #16149 on: February 08, 2012, 08:22:25 AM »
see, there ARE some cool things about this state
pcp

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #16150 on: February 08, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
I didn't even realize there were primaries today, and Santorum's running amok?

And three of them, in fact! Didn't hear jack shit from any of the blogs about this happening today either.

I think that as low an opinion the reality based community had about the GOP, how could people predict they'd whip up a froth for Santorum*.

* GET YER SANTORUM JOKES IN NOW FOLKS!!! **dances a jig**
[close]
___

« Reply #16151 on: February 08, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »
Washington state house will sign the gay marriage bill today. Governor will sign it into law soon after. :rock

And then, the crazies will begin their referendum movement.
野球

野球

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16153 on: February 08, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »
Passive aggressive bald guy just said his daughter needs the "strength and discipline of a father" and the "love and nuturing" of a mother.

Cause dads don't love their kids and moms are all pushovers.

lolwut

actually I understand exactly wut and it's pretty despicable
[close]
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16154 on: February 08, 2012, 05:07:25 PM »
AND HERE ARE THE LEVITICUS QUOTES

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #16155 on: February 08, 2012, 05:12:12 PM »
Republican meltdown ongoing right now:

http://www.tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwliveplayer&eventID=LIVE247

SAME SEX MARRIAGE IS WRONG BECAUSE JOBS

that's some flailin'
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16156 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »
some dude with a bowtie named Bill Hinkle is saying we're all gonna die, bringing up Soviet Russia. "We're not defined by our passions" and compares being gay to being overweight  :lol

They should get on record: how high will the divorce rate rise, how high will crime rise, etc

edit: great speech from Meereen Marsh. On a side note it's refreshing to see state legislatures discussing things in a civil manner, even if I disagree with the content. Michigan  :-\
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:36:43 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16157 on: February 08, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
I'm glad Santorum is surging.  Makes the 5-6 hours I wasted seem somewhat worth it.
🍆🍆

« Reply #16158 on: February 08, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »
It passed! Time for the governor to sign it!

And the right has until June to get 250k signatures to get a referendum on the ballot.
野球

Oblivion

« Reply #16159 on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
Not related to the current topic(s) on hand, but I just wanted to post this:

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16161 on: February 08, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »
Funny comic, but isn't criticizing Rand for getting SS/Medicare like criticizing Warren Buffet for not sending extra money to the government in taxes?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16162 on: February 08, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »
I guess it would be if Warren Buffet made all his money creating a system of philosophy that said you should pay extra money to the government.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16164 on: February 09, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »
*mindfuck*
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16165 on: February 09, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
I hate it when you accidentally order a hit-squad to take out a terrorist leader. "I wonder how my old pal Bin Laden is doing this morning...oh shit...OH SHIT...did I get drunk last night and order a Navy SEALS strike team to attack his secret compound!? Wait, Sean Hannity, how did you get in the White House with a video camera!"
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16166 on: February 09, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/08/retired-new-york-cardinal-egan-retracts-apology-on-catholic-priest-sex-abuse

"Yeah, so all that boyfucking that went on under my watch that I apologized for? Turned out it never even happened, go figure! Also, even if it did happen, it would be okay for me to cover it up like I did."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:28:49 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16167 on: February 09, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »
"I don't think even now you're obligated to report (abuse cases) in Connecticut."

Really!?  Putting aside whether this is legally true (which I seriously doubt), what the fuck kind of excuse is this for a man of the cloth?  "Well, technically you're not criminally liable for failing to report sexual predators to the police in this particular jurisdiction, so as far as I'm concerned the Big Guy and I are square on this one!"

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16168 on: February 09, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »
Yeah, that's what it got me. It's bad enough when they pretend like it never happened or that they didn't know that it was happening, but then to say that he had no obligation to stop it from happening if he knew about it is just flabbergasting.
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16169 on: February 09, 2012, 10:33:43 PM »
Hey if Joe Paterno got a pass overall for not reporting kid diddling, why should this guy be held to a different standard?
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16170 on: February 09, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »
But at least he had the good manners to apologize and then die for being a terrible human being.
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16171 on: February 09, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »
But at least he had the good manners to apologize and then die for being a terrible human being.

Just trying to think of a reason why some guy would retract an apology for child molestation.

I passed the link along to my largely Catholic family.
🍆🍆

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #16172 on: February 09, 2012, 10:42:37 PM »
From the article, it looks like he feels that it reflected poorly on his own staff since he didn't directly preside over any incident? Either way the church's spokesman already shot him down.

Phoenix Dark

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16174 on: February 09, 2012, 11:31:53 PM »
I don't know this Cal Thomas fellow, but sounds like he shoulda been a blowjob.

Oblivion

« Reply #16175 on: February 09, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »
Hey if Joe Paterno got a pass overall for not reporting kid diddling, why should this guy be held to a different standard?

Right because college footall coaches and catholic priests deserve equal amounts of respect.  ::)

Just trying to think of a reason why some guy would retract an apology for child molestation.

I passed the link along to my largely Catholic family.

Report the reactions, pls.

Oblivion

« Reply #16176 on: February 09, 2012, 11:49:40 PM »
Btw, does anyone have any good resources on general banking/housing policies?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #16177 on: February 10, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »
It's silly that he even phrased it that way because the same could be said about him.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16179 on: February 10, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/10/opinion/stanley-cpac/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Conservatives are getting worked into a froth over Santorum. :rock
©@©™

Oblivion

« Reply #16181 on: February 11, 2012, 07:05:33 AM »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #16182 on: February 11, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »

Hi Aaron Sorkin.  Any interest in a West Wing revival? 

with a laugh track?

love chipopo.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:29:42 AM by Barry Egan »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16183 on: February 11, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
Remember when Gingrich demanded everyone drop out the race so he could be the conservative alternative to Romney, citing polling? Sooo now that Santorum is clearly the conservative alternative, will Newt bow out? :smug

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16184 on: February 11, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »
edit: wrong thread
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:02:11 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #16185 on: February 11, 2012, 10:55:44 PM »
So scyther is like Romney, in that he has all the right equipment/infrastructure to win, but can't seem to take flight.  The smaller pokemon is Santorum.  A good political cartoon.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16186 on: February 11, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »
fuck wrong thread  :lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16187 on: February 12, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
Greek austerity cuts are approved in spite of riots:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/12/greece-austerity-cuts-euro-bailout

I didn't realize things in Greece were really that fucked.  Here's a link showing that 47% of Greeks under 25 are unemployed: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/11/nearly-50-of-the-young-people-in-greece-and-spain-are-unemployed/249286/

Even more fucked is that apparently the Infrastructure Minister is a card carrying fascist: http://exiledonline.com/austerity-fascism-in-greece-the-real-1-doctrine/
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16188 on: February 12, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
Can any members of Euro-Bore offer some history on how things got this bad in Greece?
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16189 on: February 12, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »
Gay marriage, obviously

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #16190 on: February 12, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »
Ppp tweet says sanatorium up 10-15 in michigan

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16191 on: February 12, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
Can any members of Euro-Bore offer some history on how things got this bad in Greece?

Stupidity, basically.
yar

Himu

« Reply #16192 on: February 12, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »
-Gave Libyan rebels the aid they need to take down Gadafi
-Gave the order to take down bin Laden
-Signed a law giving himself the right to throw American citizens suspected of terrorism in jail indefinitely

What more could conservatives want?

(Image removed from quote.)

omg
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16193 on: February 12, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »

That would be a huge blow to Romney considering his father was a prominent Michigan politician there.
🍆🍆

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16194 on: February 12, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »

Greece had a big property bubble, I think, like the US and Spain and some other places.  So when it burst, a lot of people suddenly found themselves in debt and stopped spending money, which led to businesses losing customers and firing people, etc.  So basically same as the recession in the US.

The trick is that when you're in a recession, you devalue your currency relative to others (like the US making the dollar weaker against the Euro), so that goods made in your country can be exported cheaper, driving up foreign demand.  So other people start buying more of your stuff and your economy gets back on track.

Only Greece can't do that, because they're part of the Euro group, and Germany has been the leader in setting monetary policy.  Germany hasn't had that bad a recession, so unsurprisingly they push for a policy that works for their economy, even as it screws over Greece.  So now Greece is super fucked up and needs to be bailed out, which Germany and France don't want to do, but they also can't afford to let Greece leave the Euro and go back to having its own money.  So everyone's got a gun to their head and any possible solution seems politically near-impossible in at least one of the countries.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16195 on: February 12, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »

That would be a huge blow to Romney considering his father was a prominent Michigan politician there.

I think his father is somewhat irrelevant. Romney has made some contacts with the more business republican aspects of this state, mainly the Amway/DeVos business types. On the other hand this is a manufacturing, blue collar state and Romney doesn't do well with that demographic. I'm no Santorum fan but his manufacturing ideas aren't crazy, and that will play well with a lot of folks here.

Even our right wing governor argues the auto bailout was a giant success. I don't see how Romney can survive calling for Detroit to essentially die. And while Santorum didn't support the bailout either, his language is far less incendiary and I could see republicans supporting him.

Still, I think Michigan goes blue easily in November no matter who the nominee is. Synder has been a complete disaster.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16196 on: February 12, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »
The trick is that when you're in a recession, you devalue your currency relative to others (like the US making the dollar weaker against the Euro), so that goods made in your country can be exported cheaper, driving up foreign demand.  So other people start buying more of your stuff and your economy gets back on track.

Only Greece can't do that, because they're part of the Euro group, and Germany has been the leader in setting monetary policy.  Germany hasn't had that bad a recession, so unsurprisingly they push for a policy that works for their economy, even as it screws over Greece.  So now Greece is super fucked up and needs to be bailed out, which Germany and France don't want to do, but they also can't afford to let Greece leave the Euro and go back to having its own money.  So everyone's got a gun to their head and any possible solution seems politically near-impossible in at least one of the countries.

The Eurozone sounds like a big barrel of laughs.
dog

Phoenix Dark

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #16199 on: February 13, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »

strutting around in their desert sand uniforms and army boots in the back alleys of Kabul