Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870551 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
DWS is definitely an idiot. One of the most incompetent democrats in a position of power I've ever seen. Absolutely useless in most of her interviews.

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

she looks like my ex in 20 years

Heh, Elizabeth Warren looks like my ex in 20 years.
^_^

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/how-the-romney-campaign-decided-to-take-the-gloves

"[Romney] has said Obama's a nice fellow, he's just in over his head," the adviser said. "But I think the governor himself believes this latest round of attacks that have impugned his integrity and accused him of being a felon go so far beyond that pale that he's really disappointed. He believes it's time to vet the president. He really hasn't been vetted; McCain didn't do it."

really?  This is what they have?
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Sounds like Syria is getting destroyed right now  :-\

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/how-the-romney-campaign-decided-to-take-the-gloves

"[Romney] has said Obama's a nice fellow, he's just in over his head," the adviser said. "But I think the governor himself believes this latest round of attacks that have impugned his integrity and accused him of being a felon go so far beyond that pale that he's really disappointed. He believes it's time to vet the president. He really hasn't been vetted; McCain didn't do it."

really?  This is what they have?

Why I'll bet no one ever even thought to check whether he was really born in the United States or not.
©@©™

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
Sounds like Syria is getting destroyed right now  :-\

Oldest city in the world  :-\
bent

Eric P

• Icon
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Good job digging up that original effective oppo research! It will be hilarious if they start banging the JEREMIAH WRIGHT drum once more

Remember: you ARE responsible for things your pastor says, but you AREN'T responsible for things your company does while you are CEO, chairman, president and sole shareholder.
乱学者

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
http://www.metafilter.com/118022/This-is-what-rape-culture-looks-like

i guess they're called Mounties for a reason?

Dude, if we're going to include RCMP scandals in this thread, that's just the tip of a very large iceberg. :lol

MMA

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Good job digging up that original effective oppo research! It will be hilarious if they start banging the JEREMIAH WRIGHT drum once more

Remember: you ARE responsible for things your pastor says, but you AREN'T responsible for things your company does while you are CEO, chairman, president and sole shareholder.

annihilated

Phoenix Dark

It's like republicans don't remember 2008. Am I crazy for remembering the amount of heat Obama faced over Wright in the primaries, and how for a few moments it truly was going to sink his campaign? Of course, Obama addressed the issue openly with a pretty monumental speech that discussed race in an adult fashion rarely seen; needless to say, conservatives did not participate in that conversation, and instead continued to embarrass themselves with stupid opinions ("Obama threw his grandmother under the bus!").

Of course, Wright later wound up personally injecting himself into the campaign by making more ignorant comments, which forced Obama to completely disown and condemn him.

Then there's the Ayers story, which McCain's camp ran with, PACs made ads about, and was discussed in interviews and debates. Same with the Rezko story, and every other fringe attack McCain's camp hurled at Obama. Guess what? He still won  :lol

Basically when republicans pull the vetting card, they're really just pulling the "what do we REALLY know about Obama" card regardless of the evidence. Never mind the guy ran for president for a year and a half, wrote a memoir, has been in the public spotlight since 2006, etc etc etc. He's clearly hiding something and the media won't tell us what it is!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
cant wait for the eventual moment when a republican forgets to keep dancing around the issue and just flat-out says "YOU JUST CANT TRUST BLACK PEOPLE, RIGHT"
pcp

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/07/18/mitt-romneys-getting-slimy

Mitt Romney's Getting Slimy
posted by PAUL CONSTANT on WED, JUL 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM
This BuzzFeed story suggests that Mitt Romney is about to hit President Obama with everything he's got:

In speeches from Des Moines to Dallas, Romney has always been careful to hedge his tough digs at Obama with a civil nod toward the president's moral character: "He's a nice guy," the Republican has often said. "He just has no idea how the private economy works." But Tuesday's speech included no such hedge — and one campaign adviser said there's a reason for that. "[Romney] has said Obama's a nice fellow, he's just in over his head," the adviser said. "But I think the governor himself believes this latest round of attacks that have impugned his integrity and accused him of being a felon go so far beyond that pale that he's really disappointed. He believes it's time to vet the president. He really hasn't been vetted; McCain didn't do it...I mean, this is a guy who admitted to cocaine use, had a sweetheart deal with his house in Chicago, and was associated and worked with Rod Blagojevich to get Valerie Jarrett appointed to the Senate," the adviser said. "The bottom line is there'll be counterattacks."

The thing I'm getting from this story (and others like it) is that Romney's feelings were genuinely hurt by the Bain attacks. Which is remarkable for one reason: It means that Romney didn't see the Bain attacks coming. How do you run a presidential campaign at that level and not see those sorts of attacks coming? If this Huffington Post story is true, Romney "never would have gone forward with his run for president" if he knew that his tax returns would be this much of an issue. This is either a case of tremendous arrogance or tremendous stupidity.

The problem with these anti-Obama attacks, and with going for a Breitbartian "vetting" of the president, is that issues from before he was elected were basically settled on the day he was elected. You don't get a do-over in presidential politics. You don't get to dig up issues that were already considered and rejected by voters, to convince them to go over those same issues again. The best you can hope for is to rile up the conservative base into even more of a froth, and maybe to turn away people from the polls with how disgusting the race is getting. But I'm not even convinced of the Romney campaign's ability to plan that kind of triangulation; I think they're just swinging wild at this point.
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
I think the guy here says it best:

http://nomoremister.blogspot.com/2012/07/dead-andy-breitbart-is-now-romneys-top.html

What Romney is really doing -- as I've been saying for days -- is trying to placate his rabid base, and also his big donors, who may be zillionaires but are still angry old white male cranks who constantly watch Fox News just like all the other angry old white male cranks in America.

The base and the donors just can't believe that all these timeworn lines of attack are unpersuasive to swing voters -- Valerie Jarrett and Fast and Furious make their blood boil, so surely the rest of the public must feel the same way, right? The public just doesn't know! It's because Obama wasn't vetted! The lie-beral media didn't do its job four years ago!

There's a certain segment of the population (older and white) who think that IF ONLY EVERYONE KNEW ALL THE SHIT I JUST GOT IN THIS CHAIN EMAIL WE'D BE OVERTHROWING THIS KENYAN MUSLIN SOSHILUST TYRANT! 
yar

"Tremendous arrogance or tremendous stupidity."

I like it.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
"Tremendous arrogance or tremendous stupidity."

I like it.

I don't like this line because it implies that it couldn't be both.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Saying that Romney's feeling were hurt implies that robots can have feelings and that's a dangerous line to cross.
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
🍆🍆

Was that The Daily Show or Anderson Cooper?

McCarthyism 2.0.

Holy shit, people actually elect those whackjobs.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:53:09 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Phoenix Dark

Gotta give McCain dap for calling Bachman out on the senate floor. It's a shame this shit is tolerable when aimed at Muslims and Arabs, whereas similar comments aimed at other groups would trigger a larger outrage/condemnation.

Gotta give McCain dap for calling Bachman out on the senate floor. It's a shame this shit is tolerable when aimed at Muslims and Arabs, whereas similar comments aimed at other groups would trigger a larger outrage/condemnation.

Yeah, McCain should be commended for rejecting some serious racist bullshit.
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Yeah, but Anderson Cooper has known links to the Gay Brotherhood, which has infiltrated the highest ranks of the US government to enact gay laws.
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
I'm less than a minute into this video, and... Huma Abedin?  Who's married to (Jewish) Anthony Weiner?

Rilly?

Phoenix Dark

I'm less than a minute into this video, and... Huma Abedin?  Who's married to (Jewish) Anthony Weiner?

Rilly?

Maybe he makes great chicken

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
If I had to choose a dude, it would be Anderson Cooper. No other guy comes close.

Rilly?

heh, remember the Huma-Hillary lesbian rumors in 2008?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

The perfect cover.
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
It's a good thing Obamacare expands coverage for mental health services. There are a lot of conservatives who need to get their head checked.
©ZH

bdoughty

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:07:57 PM by bdoughty »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
They shouldn't have let amir0x run their solar power plant.
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
It's a good thing Obamacare expands coverage for mental health services. There are a lot of conservatives who need to get their head checked.
Lobotomies for Liberals?

Define liberal. I guess we can start with non-mouth breather.
©ZH

bdoughty

Go watch MSNBC if you need a definition. I have better things to do than provide you information you already know.

Brehvolution

Every 24 hour cable news channel is a joke. Next.
©ZH

huckleberry

watchout zero. you got a real badass on your hands.
wub

bdoughty

NAH, I am really just a big sweetie.   :-*

Mandark

• Icon
Isn't this bdoughy guy the one who said some racist stuff and then got all huffy when someone called him on it and left?  Couldn't we have just gotten siamesedreamer back or something?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I always liked sd.  As a cancer survivor, he had an intimate knowledge of just how screwed up the health care industry in the country was, and watching him do mental gymnastics to justify not doing anything about it was always pretty delicious.
yar

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
we ALWAYS have one idiot libertopian in the rotation hereabouts. ALWAYS. personally, i preferred the heady days of foc and RONPAUL.
duc

Human Snorenado

• Icon
we ALWAYS have one idiot libertopian in the rotation hereabouts. ALWAYS. personally, i preferred the heady days of foc and RONPAUL.

Those really were the days.  Of course, "they exist because they do" is a good second fiddle, but nothing will ever beat the melt point part of the ol' shitheap.
yar

bdoughty

Isn't this bdoughy guy the one who said some racist stuff and then got all huffy when someone called him on it and left?  Couldn't we have just gotten siamesedreamer back or something?

What a memory, that was two years ago and I only left because I needed a break from the same crap that happened at neogaf when someone thinks different than "the hive." I came back last year and started posting again.  If you must know, I had a relapse of my disease (Wegener's granulomatosis) and I took a bit of time off from posting here and limited myself to a place I have been posting for years and knew the people personally.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:08:58 AM by bdoughty »

Oblivion

I normally don't request such things, but this NEEDS to be added to the emoticon list:

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

What a memory, that was two years ago and I only left because I needed a break from the same crap that happened at neogaf when someone thinks different than "the hive." I came back last year and started posting again.  If you must know, I had a relapse of my disease (Wegener's granulomatosis) and I took a bit of time off from posting here and limited myself to a place I have been posting for years and knew the people personally.

I just read the wikipedia about that and fuck... My condolences, disease sounds really rough.
^_^

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
I normally don't request such things, but this NEEDS to be added to the emoticon list:

(Image removed from quote.)

:wtf

Oh, filename. :lol
bent

bdoughty

I just read the wikipedia about that and fuck... My condolences, disease sounds really rough.

Appreciate that, it sucks having a rare disease to begin with. Then to find out it was named after a Nazi doctor who is suspected of performing experiments in concentration camps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/health/22dise.html

Eric P

• Icon
whelp

Meet Mindy Meyer, a 22-year-old Republican and Conservative candidate for State Senate in Brooklyn.

http://azipaybarah.tumblr.com/post/27853014206/yes-this-is-from-a-real-campaign-web-site-meet

"To be honest with you, the reason why I initially wanted to attend law school is because I'd watched Legally Blonde and saw Elle Woods," Meyer continues. "She showed me you could go to Harvard and make it sophisticated. Pink is my favorite color, so that's technically my inspiration, everything pink."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:03:02 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Yes, the great inspirational documentary Legally Blonde.
©@©™

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Technically
QED

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Thought this was amusing:

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2012/07/glenn-reynolds-demonstrates-how-to-avoid-politicizing-a-tragedy

Isn't LGM itself being politically opportunistic in pointing out when others are being politically opportunistic in pointing at political opportunism? :smug
QED

Mandark

• Icon
Wall of text, lots of quotes, going after an idiot rightwing blogger?  Yeah, that's one of Scott Erick Kaufman's posts.  He's a smart guy but all he writes are things like that and shot-by-shot breakdowns of Mad Men episodes.  I basically read the blog for Lemieux and Farley's posts.

I mean, anyone who takes Instapundit seriously in 2012 isn't going to be reached by argument at this point.

Phoenix Dark

Do these bloggers bust their guns when they see other on the streets of DC, NY, and LA? All this animosity...

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
 :lol

all too easy
MMA

Phoenix Dark

Romney just can't catch a break.

Just today he was meeting with "self made" businessmen, including government contractors  and businessmen who received federal loans.

Oblivion

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Most of those olympians are probably welfare queens, swimming in public pools and running on public roads like a bunch of communists. Not like Mitt's beloved Rafalca Romney, who never leaves the Romney's palatial estate and only eats the finest imported swiss grass.
©@©™

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist

Just today he was meeting with "self made" businessmen, including government contractors  and businessmen who received federal loans.

Yeah, but can you really fault them for that? I mean, the argument that a libertarian would make is that if the federal government wasn't giving these contracts, then local government/private corporations would step in to fill those services which is an argument that falls into a rabbit hole of bs but it is what they would say.

I don't think he'll be able to claim to be "self-made" by the time November comes around though. All of his advantages at birth and hypocrisy in policies will be well known to the average voter.

Oblivion

Yeah, but can you really fault them for that?

...yes?