Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870502 times)

MIMIC

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19560 on: October 11, 2012, 11:24:11 PM »
cbs says 50-31 biden

Whoa.

Personally, I'd call it a draw. Biden was fired up, passionate, and aggressive.....and almost ruthless. Ryan respectfully countered all of Biden's blows and didn't seem unnerved at all. I'd give a TINY, TINY advantage to Biden.

Someone on TPM mentioned that CNN was 65-35 for Biden

CNN had it at 48% Ryan 44% Biden. Just saw it on TV.

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19561 on: October 11, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »
cbs says 50-31 biden

Whoa.

Personally, I'd call it a draw. Biden was fired up, passionate, and aggressive.....and almost ruthless. Ryan respectfully countered all of Biden's blows and didn't seem unnerved at all. I'd give a TINY, TINY advantage to Biden.

countered Biden's blows with what, exactly? Give me one example where Ryan said ANYTHING where you sat there and thought "hmm that makes sense, Biden is wrong here"
UNF

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19562 on: October 11, 2012, 11:28:24 PM »
countered Biden's blows with what, exactly? Give me one example where Ryan said ANYTHING where you sat there and thought "hmm that makes sense, Biden is wrong here"
exactly. every time the mod went for specifics, ryan dodged. every time he hammered obama, biden called him a liar and then dismantled his b.s. ryan didnt have SHIT worthwhile to sayl
pcp

MIMIC

« Reply #19563 on: October 11, 2012, 11:37:06 PM »
cbs says 50-31 biden

Whoa.

I don't mean countered as "rebuffed" or "rebuked". Whenever Biden dug into Ryan, Ryan responded with measured composure as if whatever he was saying contradicted Biden. Ryan never appeared intimidated by Biden's fiery remarks (and I was watching Ryan's demeanor whenever Biden went into attack mode). It was almost as if he was saying, "I'm going to let you get heated, wait until you're finished, and respectfully disagree." He obviously isn't going to talk over Biden so he just waited for him to finish.

Romeny never said a single thing I agreed with, and he handily beat Obama despite it.

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #19564 on: October 11, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »
cbs says 50-31 biden

Whoa.

I don't mean countered as "rebuffed" or "rebuked". Whenever Biden dug into Ryan, Ryan responded with measured composure as if whatever he was saying contradicted Biden. Ryan never appeared intimidated by Biden's fiery remarks (and I was watching Ryan's demeanor whenever Biden went into attack mode). It was almost as if he was saying, "I'm going to let you get heated, wait until you're finished, and respectfully disagree." He obviously isn't going to talk over Biden so he just waited for him to finish.

Romeny never said a single thing I agreed with, and he handily beat Obama despite it.

where's my planet eject button
UNF

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #19565 on: October 11, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »
 :lol

MIMIC

« Reply #19566 on: October 11, 2012, 11:42:09 PM »

Who do you think won the presidential debate last week?

Barry Egan

« Reply #19567 on: October 11, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »
the snap polling (besides CBS) makes it look like MIMICs opinion will be the norm.  People be dumb.  All well, I had fun anyway. 

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19568 on: October 11, 2012, 11:44:01 PM »
The Commerce Department issued its final ruling Wednesday in a long-simmering trade dispute with China, imposing tariffs taxes on American consumers and solar-installation companies ranging from about 24 to nearly 36 percent on most solar panels imported from the country China, in order to protect domestic producers from foreign competition

About 2 years too late ... oops. At least it's in time for the remaining solar companies to kick in more money to the Democrat campaign season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/business/global/us-sets-tariffs-on-chinese-solar-panels.html?_r=1
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:46:10 PM by ToxicAdam »

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #19569 on: October 11, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »

Who do you think won the presidential debate last week?

They both lose. Romney for not giving the American people any idea exactly what his policies are going to be, and Obama for not calling him out on it more aggressively.
UNF

MIMIC

« Reply #19570 on: October 12, 2012, 12:18:48 AM »
They both lose. Romney for not giving the American people any idea exactly what his policies are going to be, and Obama for not calling him out on it more aggressively.

A debate is about style more so than substance (which neither candidate offered, to be honest). You're judging this the wrong way. It's about delivery, not what is being delivered. If Obama aggressively rebuked Romney's claims with a follow-up (and several reiterations) of his own, he would have won.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:20:48 AM by MIMIC »

Himu

« Reply #19571 on: October 12, 2012, 12:21:05 AM »
omg I missed the festivities tonight. Gonna watch the debate online tomorrow.
IYKYK

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #19572 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:20 AM »

A debate is about style more so than substance (which neither candidate offered, to be honest). You're judging this the wrong way. It's about delivery, not what is being delivered. If Obama aggressively rebuked Romney's claims with a follow-up (and several reiterations) of his own, he would have won.

ooook thanks for the explanation.  ::)
UNF

MIMIC

« Reply #19573 on: October 12, 2012, 12:27:33 AM »

ooook thanks for the explanation.  ::)

You said Romney lost because of his vagueness....when that has no bearing on how a debate is won. A moderator isn't going to poke and prod at every single point a candidate make; that's the OTHER CANDIDATE'S job. And Obama's failure to do that cost him the debate; the moderator isn't going to argue FOR him.

Trurl

« Reply #19574 on: October 12, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »
Biden may have come across as an overbearing dick, but Ryan came off as a beauty pageant contestant with the way he repeated questions to stall for time.

Himu

« Reply #19575 on: October 12, 2012, 12:36:30 AM »
omg :lol

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19576 on: October 12, 2012, 12:40:55 AM »
Just study it out!
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19577 on: October 12, 2012, 12:41:20 AM »
That was some impressive trolling.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19578 on: October 12, 2012, 01:24:11 AM »
By the way, Ryan's got a lot of gall accusing the Democrats of fear mongering.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19579 on: October 12, 2012, 01:43:50 AM »
on substantial stuff...

Biden pretty much contradicted the State Department's official line on Libya, and Ryan seemingly said Romney supports privatizing Social Security.

Moderation was solid but did anyone else roll their eyes at her framing Iran as the definitive threat to US security

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #19580 on: October 12, 2012, 01:56:08 AM »
I thought she did a really good job up until the last couple of questions where it veered into creampuff territory.  First of all, I don't give a shit how your religion has affected you.  I would prefer you keep it fucking private.  And the "what makes you better than anyone else" thing was just fucking dumb.

Still, about a bazillion times better than fucking Lehrer.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19582 on: October 12, 2012, 04:40:39 AM »
on substantial stuff...

Biden pretty much contradicted the State Department's official line on Libya, and Ryan seemingly said Romney supports privatizing Social Security.

Moderation was solid but did anyone else roll their eyes at her framing Iran as the definitive threat to US security
Me. they must be over there like (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.) they really are thinking of invading us arent they?

I like the juxtaposition of Bill Cosby and Ahmedinejad. Odd Couple remake!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19583 on: October 12, 2012, 07:20:18 AM »
IMO Biden did what he needed to do, which was to get Dems out of "OMG SKY IS FALLING" mode after the Presidential debate.
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19584 on: October 12, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »
I thought she did a really good job up until the last couple of questions where it veered into creampuff territory.  First of all, I don't give a shit how your religion has affected you.  I would prefer you keep it fucking private.  And the "what makes you better than anyone else" thing was just fucking dumb.

Biden nailed it. He said he has his beliefs but that it shouldn't be imposed on non believers. It's called freedom.

on the radio this morning, this douche was saying, "Depending on who you ask, Ryan won easily." No shit, Sherlock.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19585 on: October 12, 2012, 09:52:04 AM »

on the radio this morning, this douche was saying, "Depending on who you ask, Ryan won easily." No shit, Sherlock.

"Depending on who you ask, America is controlled by lizard people who are using gang stalking to make you annoyed all the time."
dog

« Reply #19586 on: October 12, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
Usually, coming off a debate, there's not really much in the way of gamechangers, so it's hardly surprising when people just stick with the person they liked going into the debate. After all, there's not really much in the way of objectively assessing points to definitively declare a winner. But last night's debate? I know it's impossible to really distance myself from my own biases, but I really can't fathom how anyone thinks that this was pretty much an even match.

Sure, Joe may have come across as unlikable via condescending laughter or aggressive interruption that may not play well with some viewers, but it just seemed to me that one guy had a pretty good understanding of actual facts, and the other was just peddling disingenuous talking points with no clear understanding of what any of it really meant.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19587 on: October 12, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
Joe for Prez!

I actually liked his laughing and such, was hilarious.
dog

Himu

« Reply #19588 on: October 12, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »

"Depending on who you ask, America is controlled by lizard people who are using gang stalking to make you annoyed all the time."

Do these lizard people at least taste good?
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19589 on: October 12, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
Sure, depending on who you ask.
©ZH

« Reply #19590 on: October 12, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
Joe for Prez!

I actually liked his laughing and such, was hilarious.

So did I. But I can see why people might think it was rude or what have you.

cool breeze

« Reply #19591 on: October 12, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »
Debates are just getting more and more ferocious.  By 2016 we'll have mics dropping.

Dole's sickest line was something like "And I will address you as Mr. President.  Something you didn't do for Mr. Bush years ago."

http://www.dolekemp96.org/main.htm

Elizabeth Dole wallpapers :rock

« Reply #19592 on: October 12, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »
Sweet. New background.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #19593 on: October 12, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »
IMO until people like Ryan and Romney are treated with the CONTEMPT they deserve (see Bidens performance) by the people making the choice, this country will continue its decline. Until facts and reason over style and whateverthefuckGOPvotersvalueohyeahrichpeople it'll continue to be a circus of garbage. Also, hearing any GOP supporter go on about MANNERS is fuckin HILARIOUS (yesimeantousethatword)
o_0

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19594 on: October 12, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
Debates are just getting more and more ferocious.  By 2016 we'll have mics dropping.

I'm in for a good wig-snatching.
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #19595 on: October 12, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
I'm waiting for a debate where the moderator finally snaps and says "just answer the fucking question"
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19596 on: October 12, 2012, 04:32:20 PM »
Debate participants should be strapped into electric chairs for the duration of the debate. If they lie or offer vague answers or stray from the questions, they get electrocuted.
dog

Steve Contra

« Reply #19597 on: October 12, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »
I know most serious people out there already think Ryan is sort of a dumb asshole, but I do hope last night's debate puts to bed one and for all (it won't of course) the notion of Ryan as the SERIOUS POLICY WONK/GUBMINT MATH SUPERSTAR.  I mean those were sort of simple questions to answer if there were actually answers to them. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:38:49 PM by Steve Contra »
vin

« Reply #19598 on: October 12, 2012, 04:45:42 PM »
I know most serious people out there already think Ryan is sort of a dumb asshole, but I do hope last night's debate puts to bed one and for all (it won't of course) the notion of Ryan as the SERIOUS POLICY WONK/GUBMINT MATH SUPERSTAR.  I mean those were sort of simple questions to answer if there were actually answers to them.

I really don't think so. A casual conversation with a coworker seemed to indicate that he was surprised that it was as close as it was -- what with Biden's reputation of being a gaffe machine and Ryan's reputation as a real numbers guy -- but as it turned out, Ryan only managed to narrowly win.

Steve Contra

« Reply #19599 on: October 12, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »
I can see that.  I suspect Ryan's reputation as being a numbers guy might lead people to believe that he can make this fantasy scenario actually work.  Kind of like how people would assume someone in a doctor's coat in a hospital is a real doctor, and not just there to steal pills.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:15:44 PM by Steve Contra »
vin

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19600 on: October 12, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
I can see that.  I suspect Ryan's reputation as being a numbers might lead people to believe that he can make this fantasy scenario actually work.  Kind of like how people would assume someone in a doctor's coat in a hospital is a real doctor, and not just there to steal pills.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19601 on: October 12, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »

He would have answered all our questions, but mean Uncle Joe kept rudely interrupt the nice, clean-cut young man.
©@©™

« Reply #19602 on: October 12, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
He did answer the question. They're going to work with Congress to come up with a plan! That's what all great leaders do. They have a clear goal. And endeavoring to come up with a plan is in itself a plan if you ask me. So, I'd say they've got it all figured out.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19603 on: October 12, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »
Everyone I've talked to about it today all said something along the same thing: Ryan has creepy fucking eyes, and his anecdotes for each point were lame as hell.  At the same time Biden's smiles creeped them out too.
püp

Barry Egan

« Reply #19604 on: October 12, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
I can see that.  I suspect Ryan's reputation as being a numbers might lead people to believe that he can make this fantasy scenario actually work.  Kind of like how people would assume someone in a doctor's coat in a hospital is a real doctor, and not just there to steal pills.
(Image removed from quote.)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19605 on: October 12, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
holy fuck :rofl
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19606 on: October 12, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
Everyone I've talked to about it today all said something along the same thing: Ryan has creepy fucking eyes, and his anecdotes for each point were lame as hell.  At the same time Biden's smiles creeped them out too.

Biden has a really expressive smile, like you can tell that he was smiling because he thought it was funny and not just smiling because he thought that was what he was supposed to do.
dog

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #19607 on: October 12, 2012, 07:44:10 PM »

I never knew Joe Biden was from Scranton, makes this image all the more hilarious.  :lol
WDW

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #19608 on: October 12, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »
WDW

MIMIC

« Reply #19609 on: October 12, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »
Was watching the VP debate body language segment on Anderson Cooper just now: he facial expressions (especially his eyes) conveyed perpetually "surprise", something I didn't notice. He was clearly nervous, but I thought he hid it well (I mean, if we exclude that gallon of water he drank  :lol) Biden came across as much more relaxed, and was identified as such. But the woman said that when he put his hands to his mouth at one point during the debate, it was a sign of fear. I thought he was trying to contain his laughter.

Oblivion

« Reply #19610 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
I can see that.  I suspect Ryan's reputation as being a numbers guy might lead people to believe that he can make this fantasy scenario actually work.  Kind of like how people would assume someone in a doctor's coat in a hospital is a real doctor, and not just there to steal pills.

Shit son, mind if I steal this?

MIMIC

« Reply #19612 on: October 12, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »
Was Ann Coulter in Denver at the time? I wouldn't put anything past that despicable woman.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19613 on: October 12, 2012, 11:25:22 PM »
Speaking of Coulter, she's apparently on Real Time right now arguing Obamacare is more extreme/government takeover than Social Security or Medicare, and thus Obama is a more socialist president than FDR. Amazing

Enl

« Reply #19614 on: October 12, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »

Thanks to Alex Winter this is all I can think off when I see Paul Ryan now. I wonder what his Freaked form would look like. Probably a giant bicep.
mmm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19615 on: October 12, 2012, 11:30:58 PM »
I saw some shit from the debate last night and wow.  Good for Joe.

I'm hoping the Biden performance stops the hemorrhaging going on right now.  538 is looking brutal.
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19616 on: October 12, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »

I really don't think so. A casual conversation with a coworker seemed to indicate that he was surprised that it was as close as it was -- what with Biden's reputation of being a gaffe machine and Ryan's reputation as a real numbers guy -- but as it turned out, Ryan only managed to narrowly win.

Wait, you mean to say that Biden's propensity for gaffes and Ryan's intelligence might be exaggerated? Impossible!
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #19617 on: October 13, 2012, 02:17:43 AM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19618 on: October 13, 2012, 02:47:17 AM »