Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870664 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Mandark

• Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #20881 on: November 05, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
Wasn't Scarborough fronting like a Reasonable Conservative recently?  Or am I thinking of some other blowhard?

Phoenix Dark

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #20882 on: November 05, 2012, 06:52:23 PM »
He was until Romney won the first debate, at which point he went full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow. Not long ago he sounded like he might not even vote for Romney, lamented the death of conservatism, ra ra why won't anyone listen to George Will etc

The funniest thing is that Romney gained in the polls by pretending to be a moderate (early and mid October), and none of the far right wingers had a problem with it because it seemed like he could win. If Romney loses I'd imagine they'll all complain that he wasn't conservative enough after all

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20883 on: November 05, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
I wish Mika had her own show, I'd watch it.  :-[
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20884 on: November 05, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
On one hand I feel bad the hosts treat her like a 10 year old on the show, especially Joe who is very condescending to her...but on the other hand she constantly does this "act dumb" schtick that makes it hard to defend her

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20885 on: November 05, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »
She's adorable.  :-[
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #20886 on: November 05, 2012, 07:39:04 PM »
By adorable, I mean I want to frost her lady parts with my man juice.
yar

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #20887 on: November 05, 2012, 07:40:10 PM »
The Baffler on Politico

http://www.thebaffler.com/past/come_on_feel_the_buzz/print

Come On, Feel the Buzz
Alex Pareene

from The Baffler No. 21

To read more great writing from our past issues, click here.

Last June, Joe Williams, a reporter for the political newspaper and web news site Politico, said on Martin Bashir’s MSNBC talk show that presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney appeared comfortable only around white people. Conservative websites trawled through Williams’s Twitter feed and found other comments betraying a lack of respect for former Governor Romney, and Williams was quickly and rather publicly fired. Here’s how Politico’s founding editors Jim VandeHei and John Harris explained Williams’s cashiering in a company memo:

Politico journalists have a clear and inflexible responsibility to cover politics fairly and free of partisan bias. This expectation extends to all of the public platforms in which we and our reporting and analysis appears, including cable TV and social media platforms like Twitter. Regrettably, an unacceptable number of Joe Williams’s public statements on cable and Twitter have called into question his commitment to this responsibility. His comment about Governor Romney earlier today on MSNBC fell short of our standards for fairness and judgment in an especially unfortunate way. Joe has acknowledged that his appearance reflected a poor choice of words. This appearance came in the context of other remarks on Twitter that, cumulatively, require us to make clear that our standards are serious, and so are the consequences for disregarding them.

Unless, that is, Politico managers themselves disregard them. In August, Politico reporter David Catanese defended GOP Rep. Todd Akin’s bizarre lecture on where babies come from. Akin, running for U.S. Senate from Missouri, revealed that he believed a common conservative myth: that in the event of “legitimate rape,” the female body somehow prevents pregnancy from taking place, thus negating the need for a rape exemption from a prospective abortion ban.

Catanese tweeted that the negative response to Akin’s comments was overblown, because “we all know what he was trying to say.” He continued digging, suggesting that Akin might have a point about this legitimate rape thing. After all, Catanese wrote, some unknown number of “reported” rapes are surely fake (though it’s not “PC” to admit as much), and it is certainly possible (not that he had checked out “the science”) that actual rapes are unlikely to lead to pregnancy. “The left is often 1st to shut down debate as ‘off limits’ when it deems so,” he finally tweeted. “Aren’t these moments supposed to open up a larger debate?” Catanese was reprimanded and taken off the Akin beat, but he kept his job.

The difference between these two episodes speaks volumes about D.C.-based access journalism and the highly toxic, incestuous variant of it that Politico has perfected. Or to put things a bit more baldly: in all likelihood, David Catanese and Joe Williams suffered divergent professional fates because the leaders of Politico are more concerned about losing access to the Romney campaign than they are about losing access to victims of rape.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20888 on: November 05, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20889 on: November 05, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »
Even if the Republican Ratfuck Machine is in full gear and VA and OH end up going to Romney along with FL... Obama would still win with 272 ec votes. Romney has to pull of the FL, VA and OH trifecta along with winning another state.
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20890 on: November 05, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »

But when you got Kid Rock and Meatloaf, who needs Jay-Z and Springsteen?
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20891 on: November 05, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
I can't hate on the Kid. Although I gotta say I'm baffled that someone who defines Detroit is supporting a guy who would have allowed the city to die.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #20892 on: November 05, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
From within my liberal bubble, I ask thee: what is the Right's obsession with Benghazi? I mean, I get that it is REALLY unfortunate that four Americans died, and that the information on the ground was very confusing for the first 48 hours. But ... where's the scandal? Seriously, I don't get it. So I'm asking: what is the scandal the Right thinks happened/will be uncovered/will take Obama down?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:16:10 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

Oblivion

« Reply #20893 on: November 05, 2012, 09:16:29 PM »
I tried to get an answer myself, and what the local Rushie told me was that Obama intentionally let the people in his administration die because if he would have sent troops or help or whatever, it would have "ruined the image Obama crafted of being able to tame the muslim world".

You might have better luck making sense of that than I did.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20894 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »
From within my liberal bubble, I ask thee: what is the Right's obsession with Benghazi? I mean, I get that it is REALLY unfortunate that four Americans died, and that the information on the ground was very confusing for the first 48 hours. But ... where's the scandal? Seriously, I don't get it. So I'm asking: what is the scandal the Right thinks happened/will be uncovered/will take Obama down?

Right now I think most of the outraged people could answer that, or rather wouldn't give the same answer.  It's just that Americans died, we already know that Obama's weak, pro-Muslim, and anti-military, so he must somehow be at fault.

Eventually the more industrious wingnuts will put together a narrative that they can agree on, which will then get repeated and spread through the usual channels.  Or maybe it'll be like Whitewater, where hardly anyone pretended to understand it, but were sure that something was fishy anyways.

PS I don't think impeachment comes up if the Dems have the Senate, at least without something better than this to hang it on.  House leadership, especially Boehner, isn't going to see much profit there.  I wouldn't wager a substantial amount of money, though.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20895 on: November 05, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »
Because it's Obama's 9/11. But instead of 3000+ American's dying, it was 4. And instead of in America, the attack was on foreign ground. It all makes sense if you do the proper mental gymnastics.
©ZH

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20896 on: November 05, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »
And this is totally his fault, unlike 9/11 with Bush.

Oblivion

« Reply #20897 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »
This same person told me that Obama deserves all the blame for Bhengazi but none of the credit for getting Bin Laden (which should have went to Bush).

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20898 on: November 05, 2012, 10:02:53 PM »
The scandal is basically

1) The embassy asked for additional security weeks before the attack and it went ignored
2) During the attack the White House allegedly did nothing while the four Americans begged to be saved. IE Obama let them die when he could have dispatched help

Basically they are accusing Obama of treason, there's no way around it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20899 on: November 05, 2012, 10:05:21 PM »
Yeah, they're accusing Obama of lying and of knowingly allowing Americans to be killed [and he even watched a live video feed of it and still did nothing].
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20900 on: November 05, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »
And laughing, a hardy muslim laugh while he did.
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20901 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »
something something pro-muslim anti-american
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20902 on: November 05, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »
Yup, both Hannity and Beck literally told the SEAL's father that Obama watched his son die.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #20903 on: November 05, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »
A bunch of conservative coworkers are going to take the day off to go vote tomorrow.

It'd be totally tits if Obama won the electoral vote but Romney won the popular vote.  That's my dream scenario because the right wing noise machine would be cranked to 11 with all of the screaming and agony it would cause.  It would be hilarious :lol
🍆🍆

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20904 on: November 05, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »
http://yourexcusesucks.com/

Yup, both Hannity and Beck literally told the SEAL's father that Obama watched his son die.

SMFH that is sick
pcp

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #20905 on: November 05, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
mccain was on piers "britarded" morgan claiming that benghazi was proof positive that al qaeda has returned to kill us all and only mitt can save us from them
duc

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20906 on: November 05, 2012, 10:46:37 PM »
That seems to be part of the larger meme: Obama's claiming that Al Qaeda's severely diminished, but it's actually resurgent and strong as ever!

Now, this seems to depend on conflating Al Qaeda with the various revolutionary/reform groups that comprise the "Arab Spring," and treating any non-secular Muslim organization or movement as the equivalent of a global terrorist network, but I don't think that's going to stop folks from going ahead with it anyways.

Also, Van Cruncheon consumes all sorts of media that my political GI tract couldn't handle.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #20907 on: November 05, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »
at the gym i have the choice of idiot mainstream media newschannels :-(
duc

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #20908 on: November 06, 2012, 12:00:47 AM »

Polish milf??? I'll be watching it right next to you.

Also, according to the final simulations on 538, Florida has turned a very light blue :hyper
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:03:40 AM by tiesto »
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20909 on: November 06, 2012, 12:40:01 AM »
Also, according to the final simulations on 538, Florida has turned a very light blue :hyper

:omg
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20910 on: November 06, 2012, 01:09:27 AM »
Simon Jackman and Drew Linzer, a couple other poli-quant geeks, were tweeting about how hard FL was to call.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #20911 on: November 06, 2012, 01:18:12 AM »
Simon Jackman and Drew Linzer, a couple other poli-quant geeks, were tweeting about how hard FL was to call.

Not to worry - voter suppression makes predicting FL outcome easy. :(
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #20912 on: November 06, 2012, 01:21:02 AM »
By the way, Twitter parody account of the election is: https://twitter.com/fivethirtynate
乱学者

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20913 on: November 06, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »
As PD mentioned earlier, it would take an incredibly large latino turnout to take Florida. Not to mention Rick Scott is one of the shadiest mother fuckers going around.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20914 on: November 06, 2012, 02:52:19 AM »
Yup. How does a guy guilty of Medicare fraud win an election in Florida? Oh well, he'll be gone for sure in 2014. I just wonder if Obama will guarantee the dem primary isn't contested so Crist gets the nomination.

Hispanics are in the drivers seat for this election. If they show up we won't have to worry about Ohio - Obama won't need it anymore (thanks to CO and VA). If not then things get more stressful

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #20915 on: November 06, 2012, 04:22:44 AM »
I'm really nervous about tomorrow. I have a lot of work to do but I know I'm going to be listening to NPR and F5ing all day even though every contest I care about is already decided.

Goddamn modern distractions.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #20916 on: November 06, 2012, 04:26:08 AM »
POLLS OPEN IN AN HOUR AND A HALF
Tonya

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20917 on: November 06, 2012, 07:18:54 AM »
GOD JESUS IM NOT GONNA BE ABLE TO SHIT ALL DAY
pcp

huckleberry

« Reply #20918 on: November 06, 2012, 07:26:08 AM »
I got to the polling station at 6. It took 40 minutes to actually get to a machine even though I was behind 9 people.

**Every year that I have voted, EVERY FUCKING YEAR since 1992 I have had to be behind one old shaky fuck who cannot follow simple directions.

**didn't have a chance to drink a cup of coffee.
wub

archnemesis

« Reply #20919 on: November 06, 2012, 07:45:42 AM »
Really? I guess that might explain the low voter turn out.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #20920 on: November 06, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20921 on: November 06, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
I have to work tonight, so I'm gonna be streaming CNN most likely as I sit at my computer.
yar

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20922 on: November 06, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
I was going to do an early vote this morning but my alarm didn't go off. Now I have to go later in the day with all the other working schlubs.

#votersuppression

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #20923 on: November 06, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »
I wonder how much work gets done on election day and why they don't just make it a holiday cause lets be real- wtfelse is anyone thinking about
o_0

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

MrAngryFace

o_0

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #20926 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:29 AM »
Did my part today, . Of course, being from NY, my vote won't really do anything... but really fuck Romney.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20928 on: November 06, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
Should have replied "12-16 year olds don't vote."

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20929 on: November 06, 2012, 10:53:24 AM »
Obama using Redmond politics to suppress the key Romney gay-bashing fratboy demographic.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20930 on: November 06, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »
Took a little over an hour to vote. Pretty long line made worse by there only being a few poll workers. There were about 12 booths, which also made things longer

Best part was a Hispanic guy blurting out "his name is really Mitt I heard that niccas name was Willard."

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20931 on: November 06, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
brb gonna go vote
dog

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20932 on: November 06, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »
What interests me the most tonight:

1) Brown v Mandel
2) Brown v Warren
3) Mia Love wins?
4) Bachmann loses?
5) Willard vs Barry O

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20933 on: November 06, 2012, 11:12:06 AM »
Back from voting!
dog

drew

• sy
« Reply #20934 on: November 06, 2012, 11:19:03 AM »
back from voting (and halo 4), couldn't bring myself to vote for Mitt, even though i'd rather see him in than Obama. also, Mandel all day > Brown

MrAngryFace

« Reply #20935 on: November 06, 2012, 11:28:49 AM »
Mitts just a bad choice- GOP needs to stop shoving their relatively normal folks out during primaries. I would have given Buddy Roemer the time of day- at least for a little while
o_0

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #20936 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »
Yeah I really don't like Mitt. His disdain for the poor, minorities, single parents, the "47%", LGBT, etc. His supporters laughing at climate change while Sandy was tearing shit up over here. The fact that he's Mormon (a religion that makes evangelicals look like balanced individuals). Don't want a guy like that for president.

I have no qualms about voting for a third party but I haven't really found any third party candidate that appeals to me. Obama, for all his flaws, is still the closest to what I'm looking for.
^_^

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #20937 on: November 06, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
I'd take Mormons over evangelicals any day of the week.
vin

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20938 on: November 06, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
I think Mitt is actually a decent candidate if you look at his career/background prior to this election. But the amounts of evangelical/libertarian cock you have to suck to win the Republican nomination turns you into an unscrupulous, untrustworthy slimeball. The same kind of thing happened to McCain in 2008. Maybe Republicans will figure it out that you can't keep nominating former centrists and expect them to pander to the base the entire time. It's going to turn off 'centrists' every single time.

If Mitt Romney of 2012 ran in 1996, I probably would have voted for him over Clinton. But this is the wrong time/era for someone like Romney.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:53:54 AM by ToxicAdam »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20939 on: November 06, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
It's worth noting that at end of the Romney's term as governor, pretty much the entire state hated him.
dog