Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870707 times)

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #21660 on: November 12, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #21661 on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:23 AM »
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2012-11-08-1.html

i'm certain the author of beloved children's book "Ender's War" has some insightful words about the election and media coverage of the president.

but really it's all amazing

Now America has only two choices.

One choice is for the Republican House to investigate Benghazi, struggling to expose the truth about Barack Obama's high crimes and misdemeanors, both in his culpable negligence during the attack on our consulate, and in his repeated lies afterward to try to conceal his malfeasance.

You will, of course, support the Beloved Leader in his stonewalling, his refusal to supply documents. You will treat all his lies as if they were not lies; you will ignore the story as much as possible, calling it "old news."

Above all, you will attack the Republican Congressmen as you attacked Kenneth Starr, making them pay such a high price for trying to do your job and uncover the truth that they may well give up. You know, the way you all fell in line to attack Romney for criticizing the administration's response to the attacks on our embassy and consulate.

On the other hand, inside the military, the CIA, and the State Department, there are a lot of angry public servants who now understand that the Beloved Leader does not care about them, that he will abandon them to our enemies, that he will not protect them from terrorists if it isn't politically useful to him.

These disillusioned, angry people will make sure that the evidence is given to the Republicans in the House, and the genuine reporters at Fox News, and the real journalists scattered here and there across the country, and the bloggers on the internet who are unafraid of the truth.

Oh, you'll sneer at or vilify them all, when they do your job and tell the truth about the Beloved Leader.

Still, it's possible that we will be able to impeach this lying incompetent president that is getting a second term only because of your cooperation with his lies. It's possible that we can undo the damage you have done.

But far more likely is the other alternative -- that, faced with your monolithic groupthink, your insistent flacking for the Beloved Leader, your dishonesty that is equal to his dishonesty, your emulation of Pravda, the Republicans in Congress will give up, Fox News will drop the story, it will all go away, and the Beloved Leader will continue in power.

Then, when his appeasement of our enemies results in a nuclear explosion in Tel Aviv ...

When more and more Al-Qaeda-style attacks kill more Jews and more Americans around the world ...

When Obama's incompetent and anti-scientific economic policies have the consequences that such policies always have, and the American economy collapses under the weight of debts and entitlements ...

When Obama's crushing policies result in American healthcare sinking to the low level of service, the endless waiting lists, the needless death and suffering in the name of "fairness" that already afflict Europeans and Canadians ...

When the burden of ever-steeper taxes moves capital and industry and innovation to other countries ...

Will you step forward and take responsibility, and say, "We should have known; in fact we did know, but we did not tell you"?

Will you accept accountability for your lies and omissions in support of the Beloved Leader, for your slanders of the opponents of the Beloved Leader, for your having put your ideology and group loyalty above any notion of truth and honor?

It's sad to see this. Normally I am pretty good about being able to separate someone's craft from their personal opinions and values, but I don't think I'll be able to read any Orson Scott Card again.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21663 on: November 13, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
It's scary to see what's going on in Greece right now, even scarier to think that it's probably going to keep getting worse.  :-\
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #21664 on: November 13, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »

cool breeze

« Reply #21665 on: November 13, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
Call of Duty predictes that Petraeus will be defense secretary in 2025

how unfortunate

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #21666 on: November 13, 2012, 03:11:10 PM »

ABC's Denver affiliate accidentally ran a fake cover of Paula Broadwell's biography of General David Petraeus in a story on the burgeoning sex scandal, Americablog reports.

The book's real title is All In. The doctored book cover read, All Up In My Snatch

oops

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21667 on: November 13, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
:lol

Was Vernon Loeb in there too? Must have been crowded.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21668 on: November 13, 2012, 09:47:27 PM »
holy shit she is ripped. I wonder if Patraeus was into pegging

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21669 on: November 14, 2012, 12:31:05 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/11/us/politics/boehner-tells-house-gop-to-fall-in-line.html?smid=tw-share

Shorter: Boehner on conference call with the House GOP, tells them they're going to keep fighting for lower taxes but they have to avoid giant disruptive showdowns, reconcile themselves to the idea of compromise, and generally cut the shit.

Jon Chait thinks that GOP legislators and strategists were banking so hard on a Romney win that they aren't all that prepared for dealing with a re-elected Obama.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #21670 on: November 14, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »
Likely excuse.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21671 on: November 14, 2012, 12:39:05 AM »
Nor they seem to realize Obama has all the leverage on the Bush taxes. All he has to do is wait for them to expire, then introduce a new tax cut that revives the $250k and below rate. I'd imagine Boehner would actually prefer that option: republicans would be voting for a (middle income) tax cut and wouldn't break Norquist's "no new taxes" pledge. Whereas if they vote on it now, they'd be sacrificing the higher income taxes.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21672 on: November 14, 2012, 12:45:32 AM »
Even if Boehner's expecting to concede the top marginal rate (and sounds like McConnell's in the same boat), they probably won't frame it that way in public, cause then Obama gets credit for cutting taxes, and they can't demand anything in return for a tax hike which never happened.

Anyway, I expect some sort of agreement with less drama that leaves everyone a bit grumpy.  And the librul blogs will flip shit, only to find out literally years later that there were provisions in there they actually liked.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21673 on: November 14, 2012, 12:51:14 AM »
Oh I'm sure the "fiscal cliff" megadeal will feature plenty of stuff both sides loath, but the Bush tax cuts will be handled separately. At this point I'd be shocked if Obama doesn't let them all expire. He's on record saying he'll veto any bill that extends the top rate, I don't see how he'll fall back from that.

In a perfect world we'd just eliminate the social security tax cap and allow Medicare to negotiate directly for lower prescription drug prices, eliminate the Medicare age requirement, and open the program up to means testing. I should write an e-book

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21674 on: November 14, 2012, 12:53:21 AM »
No no no no no no no no no no means testing.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21675 on: November 14, 2012, 12:58:15 AM »
Hmm why not, curious. Seems like the best thing to do alongside allowing everyone to purchase into the program, to ensure older/poorer patients aren't being ignored

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21677 on: November 14, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »
Incredible. :lol
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21678 on: November 14, 2012, 01:33:36 AM »
Hmm why not, curious. Seems like the best thing to do alongside allowing everyone to purchase into the program, to ensure older/poorer patients aren't being ignored

For political rather than policy reasons actually.

"Programs for the poor are poor programs."  Policies that give out universal benefits enjoy higher levels of support across a much broader swath of the electorate than policies that explicitly direct resources towards lower-income folks.  It's a big part of what make SS, Medicare, the mortgage deduction, etc. so untouchable (like the NHS in Britain) but food stamps, welfare, and Medicaid tend to be chronically underfunded and under fire.  Pretty sure there's actual social science that backs this up.

Expanding Medicare in some form is an interesting idea though, since it's a hugely popular brand, much more so than "universal health care."  Don't really know the nuts and bolts of how it works now to have much of an opinion on how to do it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21679 on: November 14, 2012, 02:05:57 AM »
That's an interesting point. Still, I'm not sure charging richer people more for Medicare would sully the program's image or popularity. I don't support turning Medicare into Medicaid - regular people who pay into the program all their life would still receive the same benefits they receive today. But if someone is 35 and wants to purchase Medicare, I see no reason in telling them to wait 30 more years. Likewise I'm sure there are plenty of more well off, younger (or older) folks willing to pay more for Medicare, which could still be cheaper than the best private insurance plans.

By increasing the Medicare pool you'd lower costs; means testing seems like it could be a good tool to ensure "Medicare for all" doesn't lead younger people being prioritized ahead of older people.

I remember Sherrod Brown wanted to lower the Medicare age to 55 during the health care battle, and Wyden introduced a Medicare for all option. Naturally Lieberman shitcanned both (to be fair, with the help of some other democrats)

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21680 on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:07 AM »
Well, sounds like you're not means-testing for access to the program so much as subsidizing health insurance for low-income purchasers.  In which case you could probably just use or modify the subsidies from the ACA, but here I go talking about shit I don't understand...

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21681 on: November 14, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »
Yea. My understanding of means testing was that it meant people who make more pay more. With the caveat that lower and middle class people would not see their benefit levels change. Strictly aimed at people over a certain income bracket.

It's definitely an interesting issue with a whole lot of info out there on, I've only scratched the surface in terms of research. Luckily the ACA will kind of speed up general understanding of this stuff.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21682 on: November 14, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
dog

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #21683 on: November 14, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
The god damn state of california sent my company URGENT CERTIFIED MAIL that I figured was something serious and needed to be addressed.  But no, it was a fucking packet on the new PLASTIC BAG LAWS.  It cost them 7 dollars to send, and probably an additional 3 for materials and labor.  So 10 dollars to every company that has a resellers license to explain PLASTIC BAGS, somthing that can be done by email.  No wonder our State is fucking broke.  (That's my Libertarian rant for the week, I'll be back to hippie shit tomorrow).
vin

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21684 on: November 14, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »
In general, people I know with businesses rant more about dealing with state and local authorities than with the feds.  That might be because they're small businesses and it's different for the big corporations (I know a manager at a company that does a lot of contract work for the DoD and says that there's a ton of extra work to comply with federal oversight) but maybe there's room for libertarians to make inroads there?

Steve Contra

« Reply #21685 on: November 14, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »
I honestly think that would be more useful than railing against the Federal Government.  Most large corporations simply have a compliance staff, but for small businesses like mine, it's me against the Government of California.
vin

ToxicAdam

« Reply #21686 on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:07 PM »
Well, if it makes you feel any better, the California government gets hundreds of billions of dollars kicked down to them from the Federal government every year. So, we all share(d) in the sacrifice of better informing you the citizen.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21687 on: November 14, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »
Something something block grants laboratories of democracy decentralization something something.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #21688 on: November 14, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »
so republicans aren't letting go of this benghazi thing even though it failed to gain traction in the election

fucking scumdouches
püp

Steve Contra

« Reply #21689 on: November 14, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
Mandark's people fulfilling the GOPs Israeli fan-fic by wiling out on Hamas right after the election.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21690 on: November 14, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
Yea....gonna need Mandark to hold a press conference on this ASAP

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21691 on: November 14, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »
Shockingly, there's an Israeli election coming up.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #21692 on: November 14, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »
Yea....gonna need Mandark to hold a press conference on this ASAP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21693 on: November 14, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
I'm so glad this loser is done, forever

Mitt Romney told his top donors Wednesday that his loss to President Obama was a disappointing result that neither he or his top aides had expected, but said he believed his team ran a “superb” campaign with “no drama,” and attributed his rival’s victory to “the gifts” the administration had given to blacks, Hispanics and young voters during Obama’s  first term.
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-election-campaign-donors-20121114,0,5622330.story

Oblivion

« Reply #21694 on: November 14, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
Seeing how bitter and butt hurt John McCain is nowadays makes me glad Mittens was never in the senate or in any position of power in the government. Can you imagine the type of tantrums he'd throw?

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #21695 on: November 14, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »

WDW

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21696 on: November 14, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
Nate Silver Goes to Hollywood?

A "high-level talent agency" tells the Hollywood Reporter that Nate Silver "is attracting strong interest from the industry. This person believes Silver could try his hand at everything from box-office analysis to a correspondent gig on a television news program, not to mention radio shows and public speaking."

Silver confirms he "has been approached with offers from TV producers, is pondering a follow-up to his best-selling book The Signal and the Noise (which hit No. 2 on Amazon post-election) and has been courted by Los Angeles-based talent agencies."
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/11/14/quote_of_the_day.html

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #21697 on: November 14, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »
What I don't understand is why isn't he already scooped up by actual political people. Not enough pay for that sort of thing?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21698 on: November 14, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
Campaigns, at least Democratic ones, are already using stat and social science geeks (see this and the NYer piece on Obama's GOTV).  On the Daily Show Silver said that he's not ahead of what the campaigns are doing, he's ahead of how it's covered by the media.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21699 on: November 14, 2012, 10:46:15 PM »
Plus Obama's camp shared their internals with him in 2008 so he could parse their numbers. And of course this year they hired a host of Silver-type analysis, much to Peggy Noonan's distress
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/13/1161327/-Peggy-Noonan-mocked-data-nerds-who-won-the-presidency

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21700 on: November 14, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »
Peggy Noonan :lol
dog

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #21701 on: November 14, 2012, 10:59:57 PM »
I will not be at all surprised when Aaron Sorkin comes out with his screenplay about Nate Silver to close out his "numbers geek invades alpha-male territory" trilogy.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21702 on: November 15, 2012, 12:18:44 AM »
I will not be at all surprised when Aaron Sorkin comes out with his screenplay about Nate Silver to close out his "numbers geek invades alpha-male territory" trilogy.

And this will play over Nate Silver crunching poll numbers at his computer:

dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #21704 on: November 15, 2012, 01:56:56 AM »
welp, Israel apparently just blew up the Hamas military chief with some air strikes.  WWIII looking more and more likely.
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21705 on: November 15, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
http://www.pressherald.com/politics/Maine-Republican-chairman-questions-black-voters-.html

"In some parts of rural Maine, there were dozens, dozens of black people who came in and voted on Election Day," he said. "Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in (these) towns knows anyone who's black. How did that happen? I don't know. We're going to find out."

When Carrigan pressed Webster on where it happened, Webster provided no specifics or proof of his claims, but said the party would investigate further.

"I'm not talking about 15 or 20. I'm talking hundreds," he said Wednesday. "I'm not politically correct and maybe I shouldn't have said these voters were black, but anyone who suggests I have a bias toward any race or group, frankly, that's sleazy."

Black people voting in my state?!? Quickly Robin, to the Bigotmobile.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21706 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »

"bubububu marijuana!"
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21707 on: November 15, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21708 on: November 15, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »
Old white men scurred about black folks voting.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:32:22 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21709 on: November 15, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
3 posts up.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21710 on: November 15, 2012, 02:31:50 PM »
And I even read that post, too!
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21711 on: November 15, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »

"bubububu marijuana!"

"It's not treasonous, our country was founded on seceding from England!"

Uh yeah, and they were committing treason.  ::) Not that any of this secession talk is serious, no one with two brain cells believes there's any chance it could really happen.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21712 on: November 16, 2012, 12:01:57 AM »

:smug

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21713 on: November 16, 2012, 05:37:07 PM »
I'm not the only person bothered by the "Chicago-style politics" attack on Obama, am I? It's just such a limp-wristed, no-substance, no-effort attack, and it requires two major assumptions. The first being that Chicago politics are incredibly and broadly corrupt, but no proof is ever brought up to substantiate this. Then it assumes that Obama, because he was a politician in Chicago [which is incredibly corrupt] is necessarily corrupt himself and has no problem with using illegal and unethical tactics to win. That's not even my biggest problem with it, though. It's also a blatantly obvious dog whistle. What they really want to say is "of course he cheats, he's a black man!" but, of course, they'd really actually like to use a different a term.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21714 on: November 16, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
I suppose the generous explanation could be that the attacks reference Chicago's somewhat dodgy election past, such as the stuffed boxes for Kennedy in 1960. The less than generous explanation is that Obama is the product of gangland politics, has thugs do his dirty work, etc.

Let's not forget these people cheered when Chicago didn't receive the Olympics nod; I was baffled at the idea of Chicago hosting but only a hater of the most supreme caliber would root against his own country's interests like conservatives did with that. Plus when Rahm became mayor there were plenty of GANGLAND VIOLENCE front page posts on Drudge.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #21715 on: November 16, 2012, 11:34:40 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/25/corruption-rampant-in-chi_n_1625701.html

There are reasons why places like chicago and Louisiana carry reputations of corruption.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21716 on: November 16, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
Chicago kept a pretty powerful patronage-based political machine decades after most other American cities, and IIRC has the most convictions of public officials for corruption over the last several decades (though DC has it beat per capita, easy).  The reputation is probably a bit overblown at this point, but there is history.

That said, of course the "Chicago thugs" label being applied to Obama & co. is just a way for folks that hate him to vent, rather than anything remotely rational.  At this point, he's an amalgam of Boss Tweed, Neville Chamberlain, Yasser Arafat, Leon Trotsky, Frantz Fanon, and Ice Cube circa NWA.  At this point I've given up expecting the rage to be even internally coherent.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21717 on: November 16, 2012, 11:58:36 PM »
more like Ice Cube circa Amerikkka's Most Wanted imo

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21718 on: November 17, 2012, 12:13:03 AM »
Straight Outta Honolulu
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21719 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Eh, I get that Chicago's got its political problems, but you hardly ever hear about them in the same story as anything to do with Obama. It's just "Chicago? Bad! Obama? From Chicago!" without actually offering any substantive evidence or connection beyond the tangential. Yeah, I guess it's kind of an "old man yelling at cloud" kind of thing, but it just really bugs me for some reason.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:42:49 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog