Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1880427 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
also

"Keep your friends close and your enemies in China."

-- GOP strategist Mark McKinnon, quoted by Politico, on the appointment of Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman (R) to be ambassador to China.

:lol

Phoenix Dark

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4174143

wait, what the hell?  :lol

"If you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl," he told Pittsburgh's WTAE-TV. "So as far as I'm concerned he would have invited Arizona if they had won."

:rofl:duh :rofl
___

Rman

What in the world at the ESPN article? 

Do you guys remember the last NFL player of note to decline a White House Superbowl Champion invite?  Good old Mark Chumura.  The rest was LOLworthy.

Mandark

• Icon
Mmm hmm.

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/state_regional/state_regional_govtpolitics/article/WEBB18_20090517-193406/268339/

Nutroots officially on suicide watch.
why do you keep assuming you know how the the liberals think? None of them are going to vote for your boy Mitt in 2012.

siamesedreamer

why do you keep assuming you know how the the liberals think?

Irony meter broken.

Anywho:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090519/ap_on_go_co/us_congress_guantanamo

roffles

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
psst... don't look now, but ta's hero NEWT is gonna be on tonight's daily show.  i bet at some point tomorrow pee dee will say he thinks stewart is smug so as to appear BI-PARTISAN.  or something.
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
püp

Mandark

• Icon
Makes Sitting Bull look like a cross country racer
« Reply #4090 on: May 20, 2009, 12:14:07 AM »
I hope Newt tells us what the greater threat is:  electromagnetic pulses, or gay fascism.

Also, whether cap'n'trade is a triumph of free-market attitudes, entrepreneurship, and technology or whether it's a command-and-control, anti-energy, big-bureaucracy agenda that will devastate the economy.

Or heck, just explains this whole breakdown of traditional marriage stuff.  I bet he's got some insight to that.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
You know, the only way this can end for Dick Cheney is for him to show up on South Park in hell as Satan's new lover, rubbing his nipples and wanting to torture a piggy.  I can see it now.
yar

siamesedreamer

President Obama told human rights advocates at the White House on Wednesday that he was mulling the need for a “preventive detention” system that would establish a legal basis for the United States to incarcerate terrorism suspects who are deemed a threat to national security but cannot be tried, two participants in the private session said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/us/politics/21obama.html?_r=1

The double speak from this man is fucking astounding.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
President Obama told human rights advocates at the White House on Wednesday that he was mulling the need for a “preventive detention” system that would establish a legal basis for the United States to incarcerate terrorism suspects who are deemed a threat to national security but cannot be tried, two participants in the private session said.

Indeed, it's almost like he's... a politician.  Although your concern for the civil liberties of detainees is touching.
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber

Double speak?  Get over yourself.
püp

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
That is fucked up though.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

I think this would be limited to some detainees at Guantanamo. These detainees cannot be prosecuted because their cases have been seriously compromised by the coercive interrogation methods of the Bush administration, creating a dilemma for the Obama administration: detain the suspects without trial indefinitely or let them go. Neither option is a political winner.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Yeah it sounds like a no-win situation.  Let somebody dangerous go or risk somebody innocent in the future being indefinitely incarcerated.

Mandark

• Icon
Fruit of the poisonous tree! *L&O dun-dun sound effect*
« Reply #4098 on: May 22, 2009, 01:27:42 AM »

I think this would be limited to some detainees at Guantanamo. These detainees cannot be prosecuted because their cases have been seriously compromised by the coercive interrogation methods of the Bush administration, creating a dilemma for the Obama administration: detain the suspects without trial indefinitely or let them go. Neither option is a political winner.

Or you can try some fancy-pants lawyering to get the torture-derived evidence admitted in court, but that would set a horrible precedent by removing one of the most effective remedies to prevent torture.

Or you can set up a new process outside the current judicial system to evaluate these cases.  That seems like the least worst option at this point, if it were very explicitly temporary.  It's a shit situation.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/22/rnc-uses-controversial-daisy-ad-to-target-obama/

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Tonya

Dickie Dee

BUAHAHAHAHA

Stormy Daniels Forms Exploratory Committee To Run Against Vitter In 2010
By Eric Kleefeld - May 21, 2009, 1:58PM
Adult film actress Stormy Daniels has officially announced that she has formed an exploratory committee for the 2010 Senate race, in which she is widely expected to run in the Republican primary against Sen. David Vitter -- the Christian right conservative whose career became mired in the D.C. Madam prostitution scandal of 2007.

"I do not take this step lightly," Daniels said in a statement. "While I have been humbled by the overwhelmingly positive response my potential candidacy has generated thus far, my decision to run for United States Senate will only be made after I have had the opportunity to discuss this prospect with as many people across the state as possible. Too many in government ignore the voices of those whom they claim to represent. I promise you that I will not."

If she does run, Daniels' campaign would be widely viewed as an effort to remind the state's conservative voters about Vitter's own indiscretions.
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
:drudge OBAMA PICKS HYPER ACTIVIST LATINA WOMAN AS SC JUSTICE; SD FOUND PARALYZED WITH FEAR; FILM AT 11 :drudge
yar

Eric P

• Icon
republicans should have nothing to fear, because she's latino, this means that she's lazy, right?  hard to do much activisting hanging out at the home depot.
Tonya

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
si senor!

Supreme Court? More like Extreme Court. :smug
hex

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
let's just get this out of the way and get the birth certificate now, btw.
hex

Phoenix Dark

:drudge :drudge :drudge
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,” said Judge Sotomayor, who is now considered to be near the top of President Obama’s list of potential Supreme Court nominees.
:drudge :drudge :drudge
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/15judge.html?_r=1

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
This is going to be a clusterfuck, isn't it?

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
wise latina woman with the richness of her experiences? fuck that sound like some awful ethnic barbara kingsolver novel. shit/bin indeed.
hex

Eric P

• Icon
This is going to be a clusterfuck, isn't it?

god yes.

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

Mike Huckabee comes out hard against the Sonia Sotomayor appointment, with a bit of a misfire as concerns her name:

The appointment of Maria Sotomayor for the Supreme Court is the clearest indication yet that President Obama's campaign promises to be a centrist and think in a bipartisan way were mere rhetoric. Sotomayor comes from the far left and will likely leave us with something akin to the "Extreme Court" that could mark a major shift. The notion that appellate court decisions are to be interpreted by the "feelings" of the judge is a direct affront of the basic premise of our judicial system that is supposed to apply the law without personal emotion. If she is confirmed, then we need to take the blindfold off Lady Justice.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0509/Huck_comes_out_firing__at_Maria_Sotomayor.html?showall

so she won't steal it, and use it as a headband!

Dickie Dee

Opposing a candidate who happens to be hispanic isn't inherently rascist of course, but I can't wait to hear the rhetoric out of some corners (and the GOP is almost all corners these days) that's gonna further demographicaly drive the nail into the coffin for the GOP for the forseeable future.
___

Eric P

• Icon
Mike Huckabee comes out hard against the Sonia Sotomayor appointment, with a bit of a misfire as concerns her name:

The appointment of Maria Sotomayor for the Supreme Court is the clearest indication yet that President Obama's campaign promises to be a centrist and think in a bipartisan way were mere rhetoric. Sotomayor comes from the far left and will likely leave us with something akin to the "Extreme Court" that could mark a major shift. The notion that appellate court decisions are to be interpreted by the "feelings" of the judge is a direct affront of the basic premise of our judicial system that is supposed to apply the law without personal emotion. If she is confirmed, then we need to take the blindfold off Lady Justice.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0509/Huck_comes_out_firing__at_Maria_Sotomayor.html?showall

so she won't steal it, and use it as a headband!

i would love to be a right wing spokesperson/speechwriter.  all you'd have to do is just dust off the same canards and re-run them.  make some bank and go home
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

I hoping for some "black vs brown" conquer and divide rhetoric, maybe from Steel

Phoenix Dark

and here we go!

Does the nominee still have Diabetes? Could the Messiah heal her, or does she just not want to ask? What is protocal on miracle healings?
http://twitter.com/glennbeck

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
jon

Dickie Dee

As a diabetic myself (and it sounds like she caught it in childhood while I was in my late teens) her longevity and health are somewhat a concern. Having the disease for 40-50 years and living is itself a good run, I'd be surprised if she's kicking around for a few decades (especially when alot of those years were probably spent when treatment was less than optimal)
___

Phoenix Dark

So, here you have a racist. You might want to soften that and you might wanna say a reverse racist. And the libs, of course, say that minorities cannot be racists because they don't have the power to implement their racism. Well, those days are gone because reverse racists certainly do have the power to implement their power. Obama is the greatest living example of a reverse racist and now he's appointed one -- getting this, AP? -- Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court ...

So she's not the brain that they're portraying her to be, she's not a constitutional jurist. She is an affirmative action case extraordinaire and she has put down white men in favor of Latina women. She has claimed that the court is all about making policy. So yes, there's a golden opportunity. Take this to the mat. Take it to the wall. The people need to know what Obama really believes in and this is how it could happen. Now will the Republicans do it? That's another question.
http://thepage.time.com/rush-limbaugh-on-sonia-sotomayor-nomination/

Phoenix Dark

why are we still hearing the "out of the mainstream/American values" line of attack in 2009? Most Americans are pro-choice and support for gay marriage is growing at a crazy rate. I haven't read everything about her positions yet but seriously, which one is uber radical?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
why are we still hearing the "out of the mainstream/American values" line of attack in 2009? Most Americans are pro-choice and support for gay marriage is growing at a crazy rate. I haven't read everything about her positions yet but seriously, which one is uber radical?

the one where she's not a strict constructionist
yar

Dickie Dee

the one where she's not a strict constructionist

I loved the Bush interview where he claimed that's what he'd appoint. He might as well have been saying he'd appoint non-doodooheads for all the understanding he had.
___

Cheebs

And she was originally appointed by George H.W. Bush

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
That quote from Sotomayor makes me  :-\

It is nothing more than a stock answer.  See also: Most Liberal Member of the House and/or Senate.
🍆🍆

Eric P

• Icon
my god she may also be CATHOLIC putting 6 Papists in the court!
Tonya

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones

she's a latino woman, so she's obviously an affirmative action pick
wtc

siamesedreamer

:drudge OBAMA PICKS HYPER ACTIVIST LATINA WOMAN AS SC JUSTICE; SD FOUND PARALYZED WITH FEAR; FILM AT 11 :drudge

:lol

I honestly could give two shits. To the victors go the spoils. This is one of the spoils.

This TNR article that paints her as domineering and intectually shallow though:

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=45d56e6f-f497-4b19-9c63-04e10199a085

The only thing I've heard that's pretty interesting is that 5 of the 6 appealed cases of her's that were sent to the SC were overturned. That seems to support the assertions in the TNR article. The REPs would be wise to issue token resistance only where its necessary and then vote overwhelmingly for her in the end. She isn't a game changer by any stretch.

*yawns*

The real news of the day is the movement in the 10 year treasuries.

Phoenix Dark

that article is meh

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
and here we go!

Does the nominee still have Diabetes? Could the Messiah heal her, or does she just not want to ask? What is protocal on miracle healings?
http://twitter.com/glennbeck

I wonder how Glen is going act when his messiah doesn't take him back when 'he' returns?
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22984.html

Another "right/GOP/conservatives/etc divided on how to attack Messican chick" article. Sounds like they're kinda disappointed she's not the fire breathing, anti-religion, abortion gift tokens, border jumping liberal they expected.

Mandark

• Icon
that article is meh

More than meh, it's dishonestly reported.  Rosen took this:

Quote from: NY Times
"She's tough and tenacious as well as smart," said Justice Jose A. Cabranes of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, a mentor and former professor of Sotomayor's at Yale Law School. "She is not intimidated or overwhelmed by the eminence or power or prestige of any party, or indeed of the media."

And used it like this:

Quote from: Even the liberal New Republic
The most consistent concern was that Sotomayor, although an able lawyer, was "not that smart and kind of a bully on the bench," as one former Second Circuit clerk for another judge put it. "She has an inflated opinion of herself, and is domineering during oral arguments, but her questions aren't penetrating and don't get to the heart of the issue." (During one argument, an elderly judicial colleague is said to have leaned over and said, "Will you please stop talking and let them talk?") Second Circuit judge Jose Cabranes, who would later become her colleague, put this point more charitably in a 1995 interview with The New York Times: "She is not intimidated or overwhelmed by the eminence or power or prestige of any party, or indeed of the media."

He basically took a quote explicitly saying "She's smart" and presented it as someone sugarcoating the fact that she's not smart.

Phoenix Dark

Hmm, maybe this is just a conspiracy to get conservatives to read TNR

Mandark

• Icon
TNR's existence since at least the Michael Kinsley days is plausibly a conspiracy to get conservative readers.

Rosen tends to assume that female and non-white judges are unqualified (he wrote an article on how Clinton nominees just weren't smart enough to keep up with all those Federalist Society members).  Also, his brother-in-law would probably have gotten promoted in one of Sotomayor's rivals got the job.

Putting aside his motives, it's a really shoddy article that's going to be brought up AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN during the confirmation debate.

Cheebs

The idea she isn't smart is hilarious. She was at the top of her class in the top law school in the country. You don't do that without being fucking smart.

Phoenix Dark

Unless you're a woman. I guess her professors gave her good grades out of sympathy/racial quotas

Crushed

The idea she isn't smart is hilarious. She was at the top of her class in the top law school in the country. You don't do that without being fucking smart.

all people in power who aren't white christian males are only there by affirmative action
wtc

Oblivion

Didn't Bush go to Yale? :smug

Mandark

• Icon
Quote from: Senator James Inhofe
In the months ahead, it will be important for those of us in the U.S. Senate to weigh her qualifications and character as well as her ability to rule fairly without undue influence from her own personal race, gender, or political preferences.

Damn estrogen and melanin getting in the way of higher brain functions.

Crushed

wtc

Phoenix Dark

oh shit, I'll be thinking about this next time I have a dental appointment with my dad