Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 351746 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1020 on: October 18, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
They can't coexist with the current design philosophy of R&D. I knew that the minute I first saw them, why they insist on pretending otherwise is approaching Emperor's New Clothes levels.

This is what, the third time they've fucked up with card type? You can't gut counter magic and make removal extremely situational and then introduce a permanent like planeswalkers. At least not with the way attacking them works. (If you couldn't assign blockers to protect them without a keyword ability they wouldn't be such a mess, for example. But of course that wouldn't make the game "interactive"... good thing Gideon can't turn indestructible or anything.)

Breaks my heart that Time Spiral block was such a commercial bomb, game might have turned out something different if it hadn't. Fuck timmys.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1021 on: October 18, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
They took the cleanest method for dealing with planeswalkers and replaced it with a gimped version that has a limited mechanic stapled onto it.

becomes

©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1022 on: October 18, 2015, 10:24:59 PM »
It's a sorcery? :rofl

Get fucked, Wizzos. :doge

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1023 on: October 18, 2015, 10:38:57 PM »
Can't have spells too powerful. People will have a sad! Creatures dial goes all the way to 11, though.
yar

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1024 on: October 19, 2015, 12:22:03 AM »
Smfh, non-creature spell purists. Not like we've just had the most diverse, balanced standard in years huh.. Planeswalkers hardly affect eternal formats. Jace gets a little bit of play, Karn, Lili, Domri Rade uhhh.... ? OMG WOTC what are you doing?

Some friends tear up ptq's with control decks, and there's a pretty successful combo/burn deck already in Atarka Red.

This was just printed too
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:26:28 AM by Butt Seriously »
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1025 on: October 19, 2015, 12:41:34 AM »
Type 2 should always be balanced. Especially after this many years and two legendary fuck ups.

Type 1.5 is a very curated format that skews towards a specific type of speed.

One of the top decks in Type 1 is a deck literally named "Planeswalker Control." There's also a top deck called "Tezzeret."

Pauper is thankfully spared this problem because of its parameters.

Get off mah lawn.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1026 on: October 19, 2015, 01:37:42 AM »
Creatures are disgusting and inefficient. If you can't play a creatureless (or pw-less) deck I hate the format.

If you like creatures, pokemanz is the card game for you.

:ufup
yar

naff

« Reply #1027 on: October 19, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »

i don't even. what. where are these "popular" decks you speak of being played old man.

how can you hate on a playa like dack?

how is a creature spell like eidolon of the great revel "inefficient" (aside from rr vs 1r) relative to the non-creature equivalent like pyroclastic pillar?
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1028 on: October 19, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »
They took the cleanest method for dealing with planeswalkers and replaced it with a gimped version that has a limited mechanic stapled onto it.

(Image removed from quote.) becomes (Image removed from quote.)

Why the hell would anyone pay the Awaken 4 for that cost? Wizard's is dumb. Their power creep has pretty much made the game "GOTTA GO FAST" instead of some thought processing involved at times.

naff

« Reply #1029 on: October 19, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
Because they're playing a tap out deck in a slow standard, want to destroy a creature/pw and will use the mana sink. Pretty common late game situation.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1030 on: October 19, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »

(Image removed from quote.) becomes (Image removed from quote.)

Why the hell would anyone pay the Awaken 4 for that cost? Wizard's is dumb. Their power creep has pretty much made the game "GOTTA GO FAST" instead of some thought processing involved at times.

They want planeswalkers to be "cards you have to deal with" but what they mean by that is dealing with them in specific ways.

Kara

« Reply #1031 on: October 19, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
Creatures are always less efficient than an enchantment since enchantment removal is far more limited, Butt Seriously. Pillar is inferior to Eidolon in Type 1.5 burn because it's a deck that has to win in a certain amount of time and Eidolon can swing for damage.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1032 on: October 19, 2015, 07:16:25 PM »
I'm not anti-PW, but I think it's pretty gross seeing PWs be an automatic 4-of in any deck with access to the colors. The only 4-ofs you need are Dark Ritual and Necropotence.  :bolo
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1033 on: October 19, 2015, 07:19:15 PM »
Brainstorm tho...
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1034 on: October 19, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »
Pulling foil Brainstorms in a Conspiracy draft. :lawd
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1035 on: October 19, 2015, 07:39:19 PM »
Black Summer ruled. You could play the jankiest fucking red decks and Necro decks would get #rekt by the direct damage. :lawd

thisismyusername

« Reply #1036 on: October 19, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »
I'm not anti-PW, but I think it's pretty gross seeing PWs be an automatic 4-of in any deck with access to the colors. The only 4-ofs you need are Dark Ritual and Necropotence.  :bolo

I don't like Planeswalkers from the flavor perspective. I hate the fact they made them a gameplay gimmick when before then it was you are a planeswalker. No need for allies. You were a powerful motherfucker according to the game to even be playing/having a deck. :lol </autism>

But really, I don't like the fact that power creep has kinda made 4-5 cost cards worthless (IMO) because most people are going to attempt to burn or control as quickly as they can with 1-3 cost cards and speeding the game to their win conditions. There's very little reason (IMO) to play the higher-cost cards most of the time. :/

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1037 on: October 19, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »

Uh, the past year of standard wants a word with you...
yar

Kara

« Reply #1038 on: October 19, 2015, 10:24:03 PM »
...why is that card white. It being green as a color pie conceit to justify trample is bad enough. It's not even "Summon Elephant Soldier Cleric." :lol

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1039 on: October 19, 2015, 10:24:47 PM »
...why is that card white. It being green as a color pie conceit to justify trample is bad enough.

Because they decided on doing enemy color wedge factions and reasons
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1040 on: October 19, 2015, 10:30:57 PM »
you gain 3 life, such white :doge
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1041 on: October 19, 2015, 10:39:53 PM »
It's not even a derivative of Extort (which was Orzhov) since it's not hilarious in multiplayer. ::) :lol Get rekt R&D.

Playing curated eternal formats and being able to mostly ignore the present. :bow2

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1042 on: November 04, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
So, Travis Woo is a weird-ass dude, but last night on a stream he goes off on a "Hitler had some good ideas" tangent and got shit-canned by CFB. :doge

I'm sure audio exists of it somewhere on the internet, but instead I'm just gonna put this here.

©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1043 on: November 23, 2015, 03:18:48 AM »
Won my first FNM standard constructed on Friday :lawd

Bant Hardened Scales is so sickin. Was running Abzan Scales with Drana but I had an ass manabase with all the tap/pain lands. This bant version is the real deal.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-11-15-bant-scales/

thisismyusername

« Reply #1044 on: November 24, 2015, 04:45:21 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1045 on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »
Won my first FNM standard constructed on Friday :lawd

Bant Hardened Scales is so sickin. Was running Abzan Scales with Drana but I had an ass manabase with all the tap/pain lands. This bant version is the real deal.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-11-15-bant-scales/

Congrats! I've seen several people playing G/W Scales, but I haven't seen the blue splash, at least in the mainboard. I assume Stubborn Denial helps you against Dromoka's Commands and sweepers.
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1046 on: November 24, 2015, 11:26:34 PM »
Yeah the blue splash is what the deck needed as pre-rotation I was running a play set of gods willing. The denial screws over a lot of plans, removal, sweepers, and even countering a stupid Gideon lol. Even atarka's command, often countering one of those is enough to beat an Atarka player

Kara

« Reply #1047 on: November 25, 2015, 04:46:29 AM »
Grats Scene. :itagaki :expert

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1048 on: November 25, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
I'm hoping for a repeat performance this week. Nothing beats stomping on a control player with a Lumbering falls with +1+1 counters on it :lawd

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1049 on: December 04, 2015, 05:11:38 AM »
Another FNM 4-0 :lawd

Highlight of the day was countering a fucking Ugin which would have cost me the game had he resolved, via Stubborn fucking Denial. It's certainly one of the finest counterspells ever.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1050 on: December 13, 2015, 12:13:10 AM »
More bragging from me, my LGS had their 2nd birthday and ran a BFZ sealed deck event. I went 6-0 and placed 1st out of 44 players :win

I won a sealed Revised Starter Deck. I'm gonna open the damn thing. I think. I'm scared :( I could flip it for a couple hundred bucks or have the thrill of what will be my only chance to open 1994 sealed product.

My dream/goal is make the New Zealand team at the World Magic Cup next year.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:30:31 AM by The Sceneman »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1051 on: December 22, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1052 on: February 05, 2016, 02:01:22 AM »
Perfect

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1053 on: February 06, 2016, 02:17:40 AM »
Going to the Regional Championships tomorrow with Naya Burn. Last minute hemming and hawing over the sideboard ensues.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1054 on: February 28, 2016, 07:25:41 PM »
Playing curated eternal formats and being able to mostly ignore the present. :bow2

:usacry :nintendo :umad
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1055 on: February 28, 2016, 07:26:44 PM »
:lol

:'(
©@©™

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #1056 on: February 28, 2016, 08:22:05 PM »

:usacry :nintendo :umad

Don't start ragging on eternal formats. Just because you're a young bitch who never knew the joy of $2.50 Tops, or never played against Oath of Druids (I killed more Emrakuls during that set than you have in your whole career), doesn't mean we have to be.

The first time I quit playing this game was in 1998. Think about that before shitting up this thread any more.
UK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1057 on: February 28, 2016, 08:43:15 PM »
The joke is that right now Modern and even Legacy are running wild with mostly Standard Eldrazi.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1058 on: February 29, 2016, 03:52:49 PM »
Haha, the ol hit 'n run post. I wasn't going to explain the joke :p

I have also been playing Naya burn. Wasn't sure whether to join the Eldrazi menace or not, decided not. I enjoy battling them though, was considering getting ensnaring bridge, and switching to Mardu burn basically so I could run Bump in the Night (kills through Worship) and possibly Crackling Doom out of the board. Feels bad leaving Atarka's command and Destructive Revelry behind tho, but i don't think i can stomach 4c burn.

..Instead just focussing on my GW hatebears/DnT list, played a bunch against W/U Eldrazi and it felt pretty good.

Pathing Reality Smasher discarding Wilt-Leaf Liege  :preach
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1059 on: May 02, 2016, 11:26:47 AM »
Won Game Day at my LGS with a derpy af Mono Red Aggro deck.

4x Abbot of Keral Keep
4x Ire Shaman
4x Thunderbreak Regent
3x Village Messager
3x Chandra, Flame of Kaladesh
2x Zurgo, Bellstriker
2x Goblin Glory Chaser
1x Avaricious Dragon
1x Falkenrath Gorger

4x Exquisite Firecraft
4x Draconic Roar
3x Fiery Impulse
3x Titan Strength

21x Mountains
1x Haven of the Spirit Dragon

SB:
2x Avaricious Dragon
3x Scab-Clan Berserker
3x Roast
1x Tears of Valakut
3x Rending Volley
1x Magmatic Chasm
2x Twin Bolt

My only loss in swiss was to Grixis Dragons. Lot of people netdecking with G/B Aristocrats and Seasons Past Control decks that they clearly weren't used to playing. I'm not going to pretend like I don't netdeck too, but there's something to be said for playing a deck you're comfortable with vs playing a deck that's put up good results on the Pro Tour.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1060 on: May 02, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
If there's a viable, aggressive red deck, always play that right after a rotation. People get all "omg teh possibilities!" and will play stupid, non-viable shit because they're letting their inner Johnny or Timmy run free. Spike that shit upside their head and burn them to death with the grim reality of cheap creatures and direct damage.

:rock :rock :rock
yar

Kara

« Reply #1061 on: May 03, 2016, 09:22:38 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Modern banned a card printed in Visions. And it wasn't Vampiric Tutor (though I'm sure we're due for a creature with Vampiric Tutor as a cantrip because permanents can't be bad or something).

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1062 on: May 04, 2016, 12:46:54 AM »
Hilariously, Wizards did print a creature-tutor recently, but 5cmc is the new sweet spot for tutors nowadays.

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1063 on: May 04, 2016, 01:22:58 AM »
Naga, naga, naga play that card. :holeup

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1064 on: June 20, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
you're a kid now, you're a squid now

also Gisela and Bruna got fused together into an Eldrazi Angel  :holeup

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1065 on: June 20, 2016, 10:02:16 PM »
What a stupid fucking card. God I fucking hate R&D.

Syph

« Reply #1066 on: June 21, 2016, 12:43:13 AM »
"flying, trample, protection from blue"

uh alright then
XO

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1067 on: June 21, 2016, 12:50:14 AM »

uh alright then

Black and White used to get instant removal, but that's not the world we live in anymore.

(Although hilariously, you can still remove it with a Stasis Snare, which also counts as a flavor win. Yay flavor!)

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1068 on: June 21, 2016, 01:00:48 AM »
I like Oblivion Ring cards, it's a very white mechanic tbh, but I also played a Nightmare deck back in Odyssey Block Type 2 when I didn't want to win a round in Friday Night Magic.

I still can't believe that a walking Mindslaver, with an affinity mechanic, cost in colorless, with evasion was printed. I actually long for the fuck-stupidity of Griselbrand now.

Kara

« Reply #1069 on: June 21, 2016, 01:06:24 AM »
BTW that card got me hype af that auras had been thrown in the bushes like they fucking deserve to be but no, it's just a "cute" cardtype situation.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1070 on: June 21, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
Man Magic has that great artwork that makes me want to play it again.

Would this be a good time to get back in at the start of a new release?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1071 on: June 21, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »
Haha a new release is like, every 3 months. So yeah always a good time to play MTG! Just get some drafting in or something.

Anyhooo I'm gonna shill my new tumblr here: http://thoptersocialnetwork.tumblr.com/

Basically I saw some Game of Thrones "humor" which had a zillion likes which was "What if Game of Thrones characters had facebook?". It was so excruciatingly unfunny (ie. Jofffrey added life event: DEAD - That was the "joke") I thought I'd go ahead and do some Magic jokes. Turns out nerd humour is real low hanging fruit!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1072 on: June 21, 2016, 10:28:57 PM »
Haha a new release is like, every 3 months. So yeah always a good time to play MTG! Just get some drafting in or something.

Anyhooo I'm gonna shill my new tumblr here: http://thoptersocialnetwork.tumblr.com/

Basically I saw some Game of Thrones "humor" which had a zillion likes which was "What if Game of Thrones characters had facebook?". It was so excruciatingly unfunny (ie. Jofffrey added life event: DEAD - That was the "joke") I thought I'd go ahead and do some Magic jokes. Turns out nerd humour is real low hanging fruit!
Nerd/Geek humor is always low-hanging fruit because it deals with inclusion/exclusion. We are always happy when we recognize an inside joke AND get it. There's also some portion of us which has embraced how much we've been othered and rejoices in the finding of another member of the tribe.

I first recognized this back when Dennis Miller was doing his stand-up specials, and just about every other sentence was a reference to something. I found I was laughing mainly because I felt included just by dint of understanding the reference.

So... yeah. We're laughing because we briefly feel not foreveralone.gif

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1073 on: June 21, 2016, 11:24:39 PM »
It's really difficult to be funny without mordantly referencing something or pointing your finger at someone (including yourself). So long as you're consciously trying, you're doomed to be base. Even puns. This is weird to think about.

Anyway, card games. As you were.

naff

« Reply #1074 on: June 22, 2016, 06:37:12 AM »

uh alright then

Blue? you can still counter it... protection from the scant few instant removal spells that would deal to it in standard? most shit is sorcery speed now, don't see this ever seeing play outside EDH/standard.
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1075 on: June 22, 2016, 08:42:46 AM »

uh alright then

Blue? you can still counter it... protection from the scant few instant removal spells that would deal to it in standard? most shit is sorcery speed now, don't see this ever seeing play outside EDH/standard.

Pretty all much... although most popular hard removal in modern is instant speed, so ol tentacool here could see some Modern action imo. Probably as a sideboard card in a Tron deck?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:49:39 AM by The Sceneman »

Kara

« Reply #1076 on: June 22, 2016, 12:46:37 PM »
>Saying a stupid Timmy creature with no reanimation proscription won't be played.

>Saying a stupid Timmy creature that can easily be mana accelerated won't be played.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1077 on: June 22, 2016, 01:18:10 PM »
>Saying a stupid Timmy creature won't be played.

ftfy
yar

naff

« Reply #1078 on: June 22, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »

uh alright then

Pretty all much... although most popular hard removal in modern is instant speed, so ol tentacool here could see some Modern action imo. Probably as a sideboard card in a Tron deck?

Tru, def talking competitive play, not kitchen table where obvs she will see play. But I'm prolly underestimating her, will prolly be played in Tron. Aeons Torn will always be the best target for doing broken shit, but straight hard casting drazi nulamog, nu-kozilek and this emrakul are p good.
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #1079 on: June 22, 2016, 05:08:13 PM »
Uh, the past year of standard wants a word with you...

Whoo-hoo! They added 2-4 effects to a former 1-2 effect (generally, trample) card. This is what I'm getting at: Power Creep has made former cards worthless in Legacy for anyone that wants to play older sets because you pretty much have newer cards that'll stomp them dry and/or make them utterly worthless because they can't keep base rules for cards and have to "creep" everything up to make the game interesting.