Author Topic: Borecast Episode 6: The Horror of Game Guides, Fat Angels, & Indefensible JRPGs  (Read 14939 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Direct download link -  http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast6.mp3

Returning guest Andrew joins us for a rolling discussion on the Horror Fiction Genre and Video Game Guides, Nick reviews Punisher War Zone, Kevin religiously (?) explains his second painful experience in the Borecast Se7en Challenge, and finally Andrew pins Doug to the wall - much like a squirming bug - in a new segment we like to call...INDEFENSIBLE!

SEGMENT ONE: YOU KNOW WHAT'S REALLY SCARY? HOUSEWIVES WRITING HORROR.

We discuss some of the terrifying things which have been done to the Horror Fiction Genre over the past decade or so (Twilight). Then we move into some of our suggestions for good horror fiction you might enjoy. Finally, we get into some of our childhood haunts, and read some of your answers to our Question of the Show: What's the scariest story or novel you've ever read, and why did it scare you?

SEGMENT TWO: BECAUSE THEY JUST MAKE THINGS UP ON GAMEFAQS

(41:05) We take a look at Video Game Guides - some of our favorites over the years, why they're still better than just looking up stuff online, and how Japanese guides differ from US guides. Andrew and Doug also go in-depth about their past experiences writing game guides for Final Fantasy VIII and Donkey Kong Country!

Also, wall-to-wall Pokemons.  Ugh.

SEGMENT THREE:  HELLO, MICROCHIP.

(1:12:25) Nick reviews the hilariously awful (yet somehow still good) comic book anti-hero film Punisher: War Zone!

SEGMENT FOUR: INDEFENSIBLE!

(1:19:02) We read and respond to a few listener comments, then move into the results of the second Borecast Se7en Challenge. Every time Nora Ephron makes Kevin cry, an angel loses its wings. You can win the Borecast Se7en Prize pack by recording a one-minute review of an awful movie or game, or writing your review in Haiku or Limerick form, and emailing it to us at comments@borecast.com or posting it in the show notes for each show. We'll play or read the best on future shows as the Se7en Challenge continues.

(1:40:52) Then, a new segment we like to call INDEFENSIBLE! We pick a topic or thing we know Doug despises, and he has to defend it for five minutes. If you've been a fan or foe of Drinky Crow's acerbic commentary in the past, you really don't want to miss this one. He'll never be the same again! Finally, since we never got around to it in Episode 3, Andrew and Kevin give a couple of suggestions for comics that even people who've never read comics before could enjoy.

Remember to send your contest entries to comments@borecast.com, or drop by http://www.borecast.com/ and leave them in the comments!

See you again on April 13th!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:05:51 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
you forgot: POKEFAGGOTRY EXTREME
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I don't know the protocol for posting these things on GAF.  Is it acceptable for me to post it, or are people not allowed to whore themselves?
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
you forgot: POKEFAGGOTRY EXTREME

good catch, editing it in
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL, guy

GOTTA
duc

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
You guys are on Zune marketplace!  

Very nice.  Does it cost anything to list on Zune?  

I hope you guys eventually get enough listeners to have some sponsors.  

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
no, it doesn't cost anything to list on zune or itunes

if the sponsor would be a distillery i'm all in
sup

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Listening to a Legendary Podcast.
©@©™

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
I don't know the protocol for posting these things on GAF.  Is it acceptable for me to post it, or are people not allowed to whore themselves?

I think you are free to go ahead and post it, esp. since it's mostly mod-sanctioned. I'd just include a link to the last thread/discussion in the OP so as to diffuse any whining that "you're whoring out for That Other Site"
乱学者

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
okay, thanks
sup

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
what did your kid say at the start?  could only make out "empire of lies"
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
"truth is treason in the empire of lies"
sup

Eric P

• Icon
:(

this horror segment is making me sad.

there's so much good horror out there.

and the best thing about horror is that there's literally 400 years of it in the english language so if you're bored of "now" you can go back and read the past.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:31:05 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Rman

Great.  I look forward to these.  I'll give it a listen during my gym time tomorrow.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
:(

this horror segment is making me sad.

there's so much good horror out there.

and the best thing about horror is that there's literally 400 years of it in the english language so if you're bored of "now" you can go back and read the past.

mainstream horror, though?
sup

Eric P

• Icon
then your issue is with marketing and publishing houses.

edit: less depressing at the end of the segment.

more suggestions

Brian Keene,

check out The Conquerer Worms
http://www.amazon.com/Conqueror-Worms-Brian-Keene/dp/0843954167/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238460294&sr=8-8

Ghoul
http://www.amazon.com/Ghoul-Brian-Keene/dp/0843956445/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238460294&sr=8-9

Rising
http://www.amazon.com/Ghoul-Brian-Keene/dp/0843956445/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238460294&sr=8-9

TED Klein
The Ceremonies
http://www.amazon.com/Ceremonies-T-E-D-Klein/dp/0330289691/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238460594&sr=1-1

Thomas Ligotti
Teatro Grottesco
http://www.amazon.com/Teatro-Grottesco-Thomas-Ligotti/dp/0753513749/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238460755&sr=1-1

Joe R Lansdale
Bumper Crop
http://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Crop-Joe-R-Lansdale/dp/1930846339/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238460841&sr=1-13

High Cotton
http://www.amazon.com/High-Cotton-Selected-Stories-Lansdale/dp/1930846177/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238460959&sr=1-1

Tim Lucas
Throat Sprockets
http://www.amazon.com/Throat-Sprockets-Cutting-Edge-Lucas/dp/0385312903/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238461055&sr=1-1

if you want short horror then check out anything ANYTHING edited by Stephen Jones
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Stephen+Jones&x=20&y=22

or pick up issues of Cemetery Dance

I wish I could keep up on horror fiction news but I haven't yet been able to find a good solid aggregation of various news services

edit: Poppy Z Brite wrote ONE novel on vampires.  check out Exquisite Corpse
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:59:58 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
im listening to this while playing a game so id didnt catch the name of the book or author but that story about a time demension flux or whatever "area where time slows" sounds really familiar, i think i read a similar book where it was this shed or something that time stood still in and these kids abused it for selfish purposes they would stick like rolls of bread outside the door so they wouldnt age with them inside and they could live off it for a while, I dunno anymore with my bad memory
萌え~

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
Grabbing now. :rock

May not get to give a full listen until tomorrow. :'(
fek

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon

I thought that was clear from our conversation, hopefully. I know it's silly to pretend there's "no good horror" out there because, well, of course there is. The trouble is that the "mainstream" definition of horror has moved so far away from what's any good.
乱学者

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
how bout that dean koontz?!
PSP

Eric P

• Icon
to be quite frank the section on horror was not as bad as i feared it would be at the offset, you guys did have a larger understanding of the genre then i thought you'd have based upon what the complaints were with the genre at the start of the segment.

and i think the scariest novel i ever read was Flowers for Algernon.  If you've read it, you know why.  If you haven't, then you should probably read this short book
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I've never really read much from the horror genre before, but there was one book that really stuck with me. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Daneilewski, which is kind of a post-modern, abstract work of horror fiction. I could see how some people will hate it [it's...literally all over the place and has a high degree of self-importance], but it really feels like something totally different from anything else out there.
dog

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
Twilight makes me barf. That is all.  :-X

Eric P

• Icon

I thought that was clear from our conversation, hopefully. I know it's silly to pretend there's "no good horror" out there because, well, of course there is. The trouble is that the "mainstream" definition of horror has moved so far away from what's any good.

yeah, i see that now at the end, but when listening to it, it didn't come across that way. the terms used were "horror" generically.  i may be too defensive about it and have leapt too quickly, though.  it's a much maligned fiction category.

Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
to be quite frank the section on horror was not as bad as i feared it would be at the offset, you guys did have a larger understanding of the genre then i thought you'd have based upon what the complaints were with the genre at the start of the segment.

thanks, that means a lot coming from you (serious here) - I was worried we would embarass ourselves horrendously. and don't worry, I have my own touchy genre subjects that, like Rodney Dangerfield, get no respect.

I know that I myself am not super versed in horror, so not embarassing ourselves is about the best I could hope for - if we ever do a SF segment though WATCH OUT cause I'm gonna bring the pain
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
more suggestions from the past

Arthor Machen, MR James, J. Sheridan LeFanu, Ambrose Bierce, William Hope Hodgson,  

another EXCELLENT anthology series is Thomas Monteleone's Borderlands series

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=thomas+f.+monteleone+borderlands&x=0&y=0

back in 2000, i found this book and read it which relaunched my interest in horror, something i'd left dormant since the Abyss line

http://www.amazon.com/999-Twenty-nine-Original-Horror-Suspense/dp/0380805189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238461968&sr=1-1

Tonya

Eric P

• Icon

thanks, that means a lot coming from you (serious here) - I was worried we would embarass ourselves horrendously. and don't worry, I have my own touchy genre subjects that, like Rodney Dangerfield, get no respect.

I know that I myself am not super versed in horror, so not embarassing ourselves is about the best I could hope for - if we ever do a SF segment though WATCH OUT cause I'm gonna bring the pain

you did horror, i should do SF

"i dunno.  i like that Scalzi guy and hated this book called Light"

*Patel Aneurysms*
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
correction:

the complete stories of robert bloch is back in print and available on amazon for $12.95 per volume

and book of the dead II has fallen dramatically in price, you can pick up used copies for as little as $2 on amazon marketplace (i hadn't checked in years)
sup

Eric P

• Icon
fuuuuuuuuuuuck

totally forgot

Richard Matheson

anything
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
william goldman's control is another truly frightening novel that isn't a work of horror fiction
sup

Eric P

• Icon
David Morrell's Creepers is a huanted house w/o ghosts.  i love it until the end which kind of falls apart.  still highly enjoyable.  there's a sequel which i didn't dig that much.

but if you want soul crushing fiction, Murdaland

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Murdaland&x=14&y=17

official site
http://www.murdalandmagazine.com/
Tonya

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Does Twilight really qualify as horror fiction?

I am still working on my own vampire saga by the way.  I'm not sure into exactly which social category I fit, but I'm pretty sure it's much worse than "housewife", so brace yourself.
QED

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
I totally forgot about brian lumley, myself
duc

Eric P

• Icon
I totally forgot about brian lumley, myself

i never really got the necrophage love, but i enjoy his short stories
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
That does look pretty cool!
sup

Oblivion

I agree with what Drinky mentioned about how short stories can sometimes be best suited for the horror genre. My reasons might differ slightly (or a lot), but I don't really feel the need to have all this info about the personalities, tragic pasts and all that other shit. Don't get me wrong, there are many good horror novels out there, but I just seem to prefer this style better.

I've been a huge fan of Lovecraft for a long time, and I know you guys touched up on him, but how is he viewed generally as a writer?

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
Patel, Bloodwake, Eel, Prole, in order of mention in the OP.
brb

Eric P

• Icon
in keeping up with the horror discussion, the Horror Writer's Association has just released their Stoker Finalists.

It's always struck me as a bit like the Oscars, but they're not looking for the Mentally Challenged / Holocaust / Racism movie to name as best film but if you don't know where to go for New Horror, there are worst places to start.

I'm not too familiar with any of the works, but two of the Superior Achievements in a Novel are available for under $10 in mass market editions  and The Suicide Collectors sounds pretty neat.

http://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Collectors-David-Oppegaard/dp/0312381107

Superior Achievement in a Novel

COFFIN COUNTY by Gary Braunbeck (Leisure Books)
THE REACH by Nate Kenyon (Leisure Books)
DUMA KEY by Stephen King (Scribner)
JOHNNY GRUESOME by Gregory Lamberson (Bad Moon Books/Medallion Press)

Superior Achievement in a First Novel

MIDNIGHT ON MOURN STREET by Christopher Conlon (Earthling Publications)
THE GENTLING BOX by Lisa Mannetti (Dark Hart Press)
MONSTER BEHIND THE WHEEL by Michael McCarty and Mark McLaughlin (Delirium Books)
THE SUICIDE COLLECTORS by David Oppegaard (St. Martin’s Press)
FROZEN BLOOD by Joel A. Sutherland (Lachesis Publishing)

Superior Achievement in Long Fiction

THE SHALLOW END OF THE POOL by Adam-Troy Castro (Creeping Hemlock Press)
MIRANDA by John R. Little (Bad Moon Books)
REDEMPTION ROADSHOW by Weston Ochse (Burning Effigy Press)
THE CONFESSIONS OF ST. ZACH by Gene O’Neill (Bad Moon Books)

Superior Achievement in Short Fiction

PETRIFIED by Scott Edelman (Desolate Souls)
THE LOST by Sarah Langan (Cemetery Dance Publications)
THE DUDE WHO COLLECTED LOVECRAFT by Nick Mamatas, and Tim Pratt (Chizine)
EVIDENCE OF LOVE IN A CASE OF ABANDONMENT by M. Rickert (Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction)
TURTLE by Lee Thomas (Doorways)

Superior Achievement in an Anthology

LIKE A CHINESE TATTOO edited by Bill Breedlove (Dark Arts Books)
HORROR LIBRARY, VOL. 3 edited by R. J. Cavender (Cutting Block Press)
BENEATH THE SURFACE edited by Tim Deal (Shroud Publishing)
UNSPEAKABLE HORROR edited by Vince A. Liaguno and Chad Helder (Dark Scribe Press)

Superior Achievement in a Collection

THE NUMBER 121 TO PENNSYLVANIA by Kealan Patrick Burke (Cemetery Dance Publications)
MAMA’S BOY and Other Dark Tales by Fran Friel (Apex Publications)
JUST AFTER SUNSET by Stephen King (Scribner)
MR. GAUNT AND OTHER UNEASY ENCOUNTERS by John Langan (Prime Books)
GLEEFULLY MACABRE TALES by Jeff Strand (Delirium Books)

Superior Achievement in Nonfiction

CHEAP SCARES by Gregory Lamberson (McFarland)
ZOMBIE CSU by Jonathan Maberry (Citadel Press)
A HALLOWE’EN ANTHOLOGY by Lisa Morton (McFarland)
THE BOOK OF LISTS: HORROR by Amy Wallace, Del Howison, and Scott Bradley (HarperCollins)

Superior Achievement in a Poetry Collection

THE NIGHTMARE COLLECTION by Bruce Boston (Dark Regions Press)
THE PHANTOM WORLD by Gary William Crawford (Sam’s Dot Publishing)
VIRGIN OF THE APOCALYPSE by Corrine De Winter (Sam’s Dot Publishing)
ATTACK OF THE TWO-HEADED POETRY MONSTER by Mark McLaughlin and Michael McCarty (Skullvines Press)
Tonya

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
im listening to this while playing a game so id didnt catch the name of the book or author but that story about a time demension flux or whatever "area where time slows" sounds really familiar, i think i read a similar book where it was this shed or something that time stood still in and these kids abused it for selfish purposes they would stick like rolls of bread outside the door so they wouldnt age with them inside and they could live off it for a while, I dunno anymore with my bad memory

I seem to recall a book where a guy lived inside a room in in area where time was accelerated to get a year of age in a few nights/weeks or something. He left his foods and drinks on the doorstep to keep them from going bad. It was a good book.
XDF

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
and i think the scariest novel i ever read was Flowers for Algernon.  If you've read it, you know why.  If you haven't, then you should probably read this short book

That book was really really really good. This is a must read.
XDF

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I agree with what Drinky mentioned about how short stories can sometimes be best suited for the horror genre. My reasons might differ slightly (or a lot), but I don't really feel the need to have all this info about the personalities, tragic pasts and all that other shit. Don't get me wrong, there are many good horror novels out there, but I just seem to prefer this style better.

I've been a huge fan of Lovecraft for a long time, and I know you guys touched up on him, but how is he viewed generally as a writer?

To be honest, I've only read a couple of Lovecraft stories.  I have, however, read countless stories influenced in some way by his work, with more and more being written every day.  I think he's viewed as an outstanding worldbuilder in that regard.
sup

Eric P

• Icon
yeah i totally agree with the short story being the best vehicle for horror and i'd have to argue that the drawn out epic (a la The Stand or Swan Song or The Terror) being among the worst
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i remember liking swan song okay the first time i read it, but i tried to read it again a couple of years ago and it's just laughably awful
sup

Eric P

• Icon
he did a series of ww2 werewolf books which sounded like they'd be awesome when the plots were described to me, but in actuallity were kind of uh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wolf%27s_Hour

i mean that's just bad ass.  Werewolf secret agent vs Nazis.  How do you fuck that up?
Tonya

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Crazy, Roald Dahl just came up in another thread a few days ago and made me discover that he had some worthwhile adult works to check out. I'd made a mental note to try and check them out and now I hear him dropped here. Must be a sign.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:34:44 PM by Mamacint »
___

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
yay! a new one!
:-[

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
is there a gaf thread
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
yes, gaf thread is here - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357011

apologies to itunes and zune subscribers, you might get a second copy of Episode 5 parts 1&2 dumped on you, had to reupload and rename the files
sup

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
he did a series of ww2 werewolf books which sounded like they'd be awesome when the plots were described to me, but in actuallity were kind of uh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wolf%27s_Hour

i mean that's just bad ass.  Werewolf secret agent vs Nazis.  How do you fuck that up?

Like this:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
zombie upskirts!
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

To be honest, I've only read a couple of Lovecraft stories.  I have, however, read countless stories influenced in some way by his work, with more and more being written every day.  I think he's viewed as an outstanding worldbuilder in that regard.

Anyone looking to get into Lovecraft's somewhat large collection of works should start with these:

-Shadow Over Innsmouth
-At the Mountains of Madness
-Call of Cthulhu
-The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
dog

Eric P

• Icon
if you have a B&N near you, you can pick up an ST Joshi edited Complete Fiction for $13.  Much better collection than the more than three times as expensive Tales by Library of America edited by Peter Straub.

Tonya

lordmaji

Kevin... can you be my hunky vampire?  :lol  :-*

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
:lol

prole will probably review twilight on a future show
sup

Eric P

• Icon

book or movie?
Tonya

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store

Sounds more like a segment for Indefensible

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
movie, i think
sup

lordmaji

movie, i think

The hunky vampire guy in that movie looks fucking awkward. It's awful.  :maf

wtf is wrong w/ his face?

Veidt

This was great. It's the most awesome thing to listen to, while you're doing your Paper. Especially when you guys were talking about  how you guys did your papers back at college. :D

Also, at that Punisher Warzone review. It was so awesome how Bloodwake(?) Or whoever was reading the review was just reading my mind. " Lost fans, it was horus" I  literally said " HOLY SHIT" out loud. I recognized the guy, but fuuuck, I didn't know he was the dude from Lost, everytime I saw Horus, it felt like I knew him already  :lol
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:39:05 PM by Veidt »