Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3605710 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31020 on: April 10, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »
Would love to give MTG Arena a spin but it looks like I'll never get a fucking beta key :stahp
Overall it is great. There are a handful of annoying UI issues, but I'm expecting them to be fixed before it goes public.

My only real concern is that it will take forever to grind for a draft ticket. I'd prefer a mode where players didn't keep the drafted cards, similar to Arena in Hearthstone.

Get me a fucking key :brazilcry

I'm having to borrow my friend's account because they won't give me one either. :(
©@©™

Corporal

« Reply #31021 on: April 10, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
corporate politics did a lot to this
[SNIP]
Wow, thanks for the nice write-up. Like others have said: I would subscribe to your newsletter.

Fucken A. Of course Relic had to die a prolonged, miserable death in stages. Juuuust great. Can we get another reality please? I think this one is faulty.

Back on topic:
Looked through my GOG library.
Installed Pirates Gold on a whim.
Started Pirates Gold.
Got to the Pirates Gold Game Over screen within minutes.

Man, old games are harsh. Doesn't help that I hadn't taken a look at the manual before playing, so I was missing all keyboard shortcuts and explanations. Gonna have to actually learn how to play like some nublet. No tutorials, no industry standard UI and gameplay conventions, just raw and unfiltered dev-to-gamer dialogue. Sit your ass down and think instead of just randomly farting about. I can dig.

...The mouse-only control setup is really annoying, though. Ew. How did I play this when I was younger, dammit. Probably keyboard only...
!list

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #31022 on: April 10, 2018, 05:43:44 PM »
Would love to give MTG Arena a spin but it looks like I'll never get a fucking beta key :stahp
Overall it is great. There are a handful of annoying UI issues, but I'm expecting them to be fixed before it goes public.

My only real concern is that it will take forever to grind for a draft ticket. I'd prefer a mode where players didn't keep the drafted cards, similar to Arena in Hearthstone.

Get me a fucking key :brazilcry

I'm having to borrow my friend's account because they won't give me one either. :(

Plz ban archnemesis unless he gives us his login. I take Mon/Wed/Fri you take Tue/Thu/Sat. We share sundays.

Installed Pirates Gold on a whim.
Started Pirates Gold.
Got to the Pirates Gold Game Over screen within minutes.

How the fuck do you game over Pirates in minutes.

We're talking about the Sid Meier game right?

Corporal

« Reply #31023 on: April 10, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »

Dunno mang, I just managed to.  :-\

And yes, the Sid Meier game. I didn't really give it an honest go, or I'd have alt-tabbed out and read the manual or watched a let's play or something, but I do have to admit that yep, I'm that bad at casual Pirating.

Haven't played it in more than two decades, I'd wager - and even back then I don't think I ever got very far. I... danced with some ladies, I think? That's where little me started to rapidly drift away from the game.
!list

kingv

« Reply #31024 on: April 10, 2018, 11:17:01 PM »
I never understood the love for Pirates. That shit is sort of boring. Very very repetitive and simple.

Raist

« Reply #31025 on: April 11, 2018, 01:19:01 AM »

Dunno mang, I just managed to.  :-\

And yes, the Sid Meier game. I didn't really give it an honest go, or I'd have alt-tabbed out and read the manual or watched a let's play or something, but I do have to admit that yep, I'm that bad at casual Pirating.

Haven't played it in more than two decades, I'd wager - and even back then I don't think I ever got very far. I... danced with some ladies, I think? That's where little me started to rapidly drift away from the game.

No but I mean, like, there's no real game over state for ages. Worst that can happen is being thrown in a jail or captured by a pirate, and then you lose some years but immediately get back with a new ship and small crew.

The dancing shit didn't exist in the OG game. There was some courting options, but it was just based on reputation and giving them stuff.

I never understood the love for Pirates. That shit is sort of boring. Very very repetitive and simple.

Mods plz.

archnemesis

« Reply #31026 on: April 11, 2018, 01:33:55 AM »
Pirates was incredible deep and complex compared to what else was available on the C64. It is an open world adventure with a lot of variation.

I’d love to see more games like that today. The last one I played with a Pirates-like progression was Mount & Blade and that was also fantastic at the time.

Corporal

« Reply #31027 on: April 11, 2018, 06:18:54 AM »
There was no dancing? Huh. I seem to remember something of that sort... goes to show just how much younger me paid attention. Or maybe I'm mashing up different games in my memory. Wouldn't be the first time.

Anywayze. Also installed Master of Orion 2. Why am I so shit at these kinda games. Then again, it means I'm also easily entertained even by "easy" or "easy to cheese' games like that. I'm sure if I did a let's play I'd drive any onlookers to insanity.

Such a nice presentation. Great OST. A bitch on the DOS memory thingamabop though, I think. Not half as bad as Betrayal at Krondor, which I'm eyeing for down the line.

( Obligatory: fecking MoO 3.  >:(  :'( )
!list

Svejk

« Reply #31028 on: April 11, 2018, 08:01:42 AM »
Trying out Exiled Kingdoms (Android version).  So far, a pretty fun little Diablo like clone that's open world.  Got them old school vibes to it, but the story has been fun to follow so far and the open world map is relatively large.  The free version lets you play a good portion of it.  Unlocking the full version is 4 buck.   I see that it was just released on Steam this past February too.

kingv

« Reply #31029 on: April 11, 2018, 08:17:52 AM »
I never played it until the remake in the mid 2000s.

Even by the end of your first run you have basically seen it all multiple times.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31030 on: April 11, 2018, 09:58:49 AM »
Just killed the Cleric Beast in Bloodbourne. I know it's the first boss, but I haven't had much time to play. So it's starting to "click" a little. Starting to do the parry/visceral attacks more often. It's funny though, when you think you've got it down and you're just like "Oh it's just some easy enemies." the game totally will kick your ass for being complacent. I sorta like that.
que

Raist

« Reply #31031 on: April 11, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »
There was no dancing? Huh. I seem to remember something of that sort... goes to show just how much younger me paid attention. Or maybe I'm mashing up different games in my memory. Wouldn't be the first time.

Not in the OG game, no. The C64/Amstrad/Amiga version. That dancing stuff (which sucks balls) was only added to the early 2000s PC remake.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31032 on: April 12, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »
Started Valiant Hearts and Contrast on 360.

Valiant Hearts is a beautiful, well-produced adventure game with a fun story set in an absolutely dreary actual war. I wish there had been more of these, or at least games in this style. The cartoon style and 2.5D presentation is endearing.

Contrast is a visually and aurally gorgeous third-person game with sequences of 2D traversal where your character’s shadow navigates along projected shadows. It’s an incredibly good idea marred by hyperactive controls, a camera abandoned to player control, and a lack of level tuning. It also benefit from more consistent lighting cues.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31033 on: April 15, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
Trying to get to the ending in Fallout 4. The game is incredibly boring. Running from location to location the only things I encountered were either raiders, super mutants or packs of ghouls.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #31034 on: April 18, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »
Project Mirai DX :uguu
I think I've unlocked almost every song, there's kind of a lot.  :doge
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31035 on: April 18, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »

Secretly the best Miku game, imo.
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #31036 on: April 18, 2018, 01:25:42 PM »
Playing Horizon Zero Dawn now

Goddamn this is gorgeous and also fun

Didnt expect Gorilla to finally deliver

Svejk

« Reply #31037 on: April 18, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »
Played some Metroid Prime 1 on the Wii U trilogy release a few days ago.   It's been so long since I last played it... wanted to try out the wiimote controls..  It's pretty cool, but it definitely has it's issues..  Not sure if I need to mess with the settings in some way, but it keeps dropping the signal if looking too far up... But another cool thing, is finally playing it with headphones..  Forgot how dope the subtle/minimal beats are.  Kind of reminds me of Goldneye 64 in some ways.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31038 on: April 18, 2018, 07:14:18 PM »

Favorite song in that game: :rock
^_^

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31039 on: April 18, 2018, 08:42:52 PM »
Played some Metroid Prime 1 on the Wii U trilogy release a few days ago.   It's been so long since I last played it... wanted to try out the wiimote controls..  It's pretty cool, but it definitely has it's issues..  Not sure if I need to mess with the settings in some way, but it keeps dropping the signal if looking too far up... But another cool thing, is finally playing it with headphones..  Forgot how dope the subtle/minimal beats are.  Kind of reminds me of Goldneye 64 in some ways.
It's an easy thing to forget but you can put the sensor bar either above or below the screen and change the location in the system settings. The wiimote uses it for relatively positioning itself so swapping to the other location might help.

I had a jittery wiimote that got worse near the edge of the screen after moving stuff around once and had to move the bar to fix it. I assume it was losing sight of the bar and freaking out.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #31040 on: April 18, 2018, 09:06:19 PM »

Favorite song in that game: :rock

Been a fan of that one for a long time. Gave Rin some allowance and she 'ordered' the outfit from it for herself so that's what she's wearing in the 'hang out' mode now. :lol
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31041 on: April 18, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »
Borys, have you played Torment: Tides of Numenera yet? Should be right up your alley, and it's not particularly long [about 30 hours].

Oh, but Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the best CRPG in a generation. It's quite a bit longer, though [nearly 60 hours], but it's well worth the time investment.
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31042 on: April 19, 2018, 01:28:51 AM »
I'd like to replay the trilogy again. But I know the moment I pick it up again they're going to announce a remaster.
que

Svejk

« Reply #31043 on: April 19, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »
I'd like to replay the trilogy again. But I know the moment I pick it up again they're going to announce a remaster.
Then do it so they will.   :betty   My plan was to play through the 1st and 3rd, and just skip the 2nd... I remember it being way more of a back tracking chore than the others.  MP4 is will be the time I finally pull the trigger on a Snap Switch. .. but if they release a complete overhaul remaster, I'll jump then.

Corporal

« Reply #31044 on: April 19, 2018, 05:05:55 PM »
MP2 had its moments. I really liked the oppressive atmosphere, and the slight Zombie/RE vibe was nice.

Of course, the game also gave us Zero Suit Samus if I remember correctly. And a really horrible version of it, if memory serves. :-\

Give it a try, eventually. If you can stomach some design issues, it's a unique and delightful Metroid Prime game deserving of its name.
!list

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31045 on: April 19, 2018, 06:01:22 PM »
MP2 was good, but the constant switching between the light world and dark world just wasn't all that interesting or fun.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31046 on: April 19, 2018, 11:01:12 PM »
Almost to the end of Cold Steel... it's been a long ride, but it's been fun. Not my favorite Trails game but I hear the second one is a big improvement.

Also up to the final boss in Metroid: Samus Returns. Damn, this game is tough, even with a 100% item completion rate. I get so close but the 3DS cramps my hands way too much. After the Vita and Switch, going back to the 3DS is so hard, graphics are so muddy and the ergonomics are terrible.
^_^

Corporal

« Reply #31047 on: April 20, 2018, 12:07:49 PM »
It's kinda bizarre, considering the history of these kinda games.

"Oh shit, figuring out how to compute THAC0 requires three years of intensive study and a degree in astrophysics, and that's only after you finally understand what it stands for. We better outsource the numbercrunching to devices designed to handle large amounts of maths."

"Hm, now that I have created my spreadsheet of underlying formulas after decompiling the binary and getting one of the devs dead drunk, I can manually iterate through the various options to figure out the most effective way to deal damage. Yay for good oldfashioned pen and paper number crunching!"

Up next: Creating an AI to play these games for us, with tacked on voice controls and Machine Learning and a bunch of other buzzwords.
"Alexa, slay that troll and romance my party members."
!list

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31048 on: April 21, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »
I ended up buying Jade Empire on Xbox this weekend and then playing it for about 3 hours. Even though I already have it on PC.
dog

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #31049 on: April 22, 2018, 01:26:55 AM »
I got Momodora in a Humble Bundle a while back and gave it a shot since I hadn't played a platformer in a while, and it's pretty fun. It feels like a throwback to GBA titles of the genre, though it's considerably more simple than Fusion or CotM/HoD/AoS. It's got some issues with item distribution and the difficulty curve though. There are vitality increases, but they're often hidden and most of the rooms they're hidden in don't have any visual clues that they're even there - eventually I found an item that chimes when you're in a room with a secret, Zelda-style, and started finding them a lot more often, but by that point I'd gotten some attack buff items and the boss fights had gotten a lot easier. Also, you can unlock the ability to warp between save points, but doing so requires you to backtrack the entire map to find an item that's tied to unlocking the final area of the game. The backtracking is one of the least fun parts of the game, so I can't understand the decision to tie it to a quest item you don't know exists until you're 75% done with the game.

That's more of a passive complaint though, since it's something that's a mostly a minor annoyance and it didn't really dawn on me how silly I think it is until I made it that far anyway. The rest of the game is charming and fun enough to overlook it. In one of the boss fights you punch a giant anime witch in her tiddies so who can really complain y'know

kingv

« Reply #31050 on: April 22, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »
I bought Ni-Oh yesterday and did the whole London tutorial. Seems easier than any Soulsborne game.

In general, I think that is true, but there are some pretty tough bosses. There are also a few enemies that pretty much stay challenging for most of the game.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31051 on: April 22, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »
Imagine you are playing Excel because in the end you are always playing with numbers. Your numbers vs enemy numbers.

Nerdy games for nerds *shrugs*

Yeah, this is my shortcoming on RPGs in general. Always feels like spreadsheets fighting.

etiolate

« Reply #31052 on: April 25, 2018, 12:04:48 AM »
A Hat in Time  Hi this is a good game. Tight feel to everything and feels like a lot of content early on.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31053 on: April 25, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
Playing Dishonored 2 doing a no-kill, no-magic run. Choking people out and throwing em in a garbage bin will never not be funny to me.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #31054 on: April 25, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
finished watch dogs 2, idk how i feel about this. i generally like open world games but now that i've finished the main story in this i can't be fucked to go back and finish up some side quests and just explore and i don't know why

ILikePizza

« Reply #31055 on: April 25, 2018, 05:36:03 PM »
Playing Dishonored 2 doing a no-kill, no-magic run. Choking people out and throwing em in a garbage bin will never not be funny to me.

Man, I can't imagine playing through the campaign without using far reach/blink.  They're among my favorite movement mechanics in games.

winik

« Reply #31056 on: April 26, 2018, 04:18:41 AM »
I've been playing some ps2 survival horror I never got to when they came out, namely silent hill 4, rule of rose, and fatal frame ii. Only gotten really deep into silent hill 4 so far and I've gotten really into it, except I thought I was nearing the end but instead the second half escort mission started and that's kind of killed my progress. Rule of rose was not quite what I expected but the atmosphere is cool.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #31057 on: April 26, 2018, 06:24:10 AM »
played about 5 hours straight of doom, fuck me this is so good. i can't even remember the last fps i played so i'm dying a fair bit and my aim sucks but man the gunplay feels great, i'm loving the pace and the glory kills are so damn satisfying

kingv

« Reply #31058 on: April 26, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »
I beat doom in like 2 days.

Game was incredibly lit.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31059 on: April 27, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »
I've been playing some ps2 survival horror I never got to when they came out, namely silent hill 4, rule of rose, and fatal frame ii. Only gotten really deep into silent hill 4 so far and I've gotten really into it, except I thought I was nearing the end but instead the second half escort mission started and that's kind of killed my progress. Rule of rose was not quite what I expected but the atmosphere is cool.

Rule of Rose is the shining example of "High Price != Good Game"

Its so terrible
fat

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #31060 on: April 27, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »
I beat doom in like 2 days.

Game was incredibly lit.
the super shotgun  :noah
desperately chainsawing motherfuckers when you need ammo  :noah
the bfg  :noah

i think i'm getting close to the end, was there ever any single player dlc for this?

kingv

« Reply #31061 on: April 27, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
No, unfortunately. I’d play another mini-campaign for sure with minimal additions other than 1-2 new enemy types and a new weapon.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31062 on: April 28, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel, STILL. I'm like 93 hours in and finally set foot in the final dungeon. Should hopefully wrap it up tomorrow. Probably my least favorite game of the Trails titles I've played so far, but the way they're building things up for the rest of the story arc sounds interesting.

Also beat Metroid: Samus Returns. I liked it but thought the graphics looked way too muddy and ugly, and there was a slight over-reliance on the counter. But some of the boss fights were pretty good (albeit repetitive). Would have been better if it was a Switch game, fo' sho'.

Next on the agenda is CHUCHEL, a goofy-looking puzzle/point and click from the makers of Botanicula and Machinarium. Then maybe seeing what dat Doki Doki Literature Club is all about. And the lady is wanting me to play through KH1 with her. I need to play through some short(er) games since the last 2 big games I played were Xenoblade 2 and Cold Steel, ~100+ hours long :P

Here's a video of CHUCHEL
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31063 on: April 28, 2018, 04:31:01 PM »
You're really playing it slow if you're just starting Act III and you've played for 48 hours! That, and you're probably doing some of the DLC stuff that was added after I played it. Only took me about 20 hours to get that far and I wasn't exactly rushing through the content [except for some of the stuff with your base, which I didn't mess with too much]. Act III is pretty short, though, so you're over 80% complete, I'd say.
dog

winik

« Reply #31064 on: April 29, 2018, 03:12:40 AM »

Rule of Rose is the shining example of "High Price != Good Game"

Its so terrible

I didn't pay for it, 500 dollars for a single game, fucking collectors market I didn't want to collect it I wanted to play it. But is the story good at least? I can deal with shit tier game play if there are other things good about it. I played the first persona and actually had some fun with it although I would never replay it.

Vit-Symty

« Reply #31065 on: April 29, 2018, 03:47:58 AM »
re:Rule of Rose

Both atmosphere and music are great. Story is a bit hit and miss, sometimes off-putting. Gameplay/combat system? A frustrating mess. Collision detection is bad.

Bebpo

« Reply #31066 on: April 29, 2018, 06:36:15 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel, STILL. I'm like 93 hours in and finally set foot in the final dungeon. Should hopefully wrap it up tomorrow. Probably my least favorite game of the Trails titles I've played so far, but the way they're building things up for the rest of the story arc sounds interesting.

Also beat Metroid: Samus Returns. I liked it but thought the graphics looked way too muddy and ugly, and there was a slight over-reliance on the counter. But some of the boss fights were pretty good (albeit repetitive). Would have been better if it was a Switch game, fo' sho'.

Next on the agenda is CHUCHEL, a goofy-looking puzzle/point and click from the makers of Botanicula and Machinarium. Then maybe seeing what dat Doki Doki Literature Club is all about. And the lady is wanting me to play through KH1 with her. I need to play through some short(er) games since the last 2 big games I played were Xenoblade 2 and Cold Steel, ~100+ hours long :P

Here's a video of CHUCHEL

CHUCHEL!!!!

Good stuff. Trails of CS1 is the worst game in the 9 game Trails series, Sky FC is 2nd worst. CS2 is a lot better (and about 10 hours shorter), you'll probably like it even if it's flawed as well. CS3 is better than CS2 but still got bad repetition flaws. Hopefully CS4 brings it home.

Corporal

« Reply #31067 on: April 29, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »
I don't feel like playing something involving braincells or motor skills right now, so I've been playing some Android crap during my daily commute like (apparently) the rest of the populace. Man, is there ever a humongous heap of shit on the play/app store. Fuck me. I weep for this generation. So much shit to wade through.  :yuck

Dungeon Cards however ain't bad. You have a 3x3 grid with one of the spaces occupied by a hero card (different heroes have different abilities like an improved healthpool or immunity to certain traps etc). The rest are either monsters, traps or treasure. You move the hero onto another tile to collect the treasure or otherwise resolve its effects.

Pretty nice diversion, and apparently based on a card game. Nothing overly deep, but I could really do with a hint as to which way the tiles will be entering/sliding around as the hero moves around.

Free, no IAP, pixel graphics, dungeon crawler. That's my kinda jam.

---

I still need to play more payday 2 on my Switch. So miserable. Could be that I'm missing some status limitations (like crouching/wounded or whatever), but there's been way too many times where I just cannot for the life of me throw away something I'm carrying, like a bagged corpse or loot. Kinda shitty if you stand in front of a heli with half the map shooting at you and cannot throw the bag of cash you are carrying into the fucking heli to end the mission. YES I KNOW I HAVE TO PRESS L TO THROW I'M FUCKING SMASHING AND HOLDING AND HUMPING THAT TRIGGER BUT IT'S NOT DOING ANYTHING GRRRRAAAAAAAAH. :-\

And then, once in a while it works and I watch as the item in question flops down right in front of me as if my arms were noodles and the item a 5 ton piece of machinery. Seriously. Calling that "Throwing" is being exceedingly generous.
!list

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31068 on: April 29, 2018, 12:39:01 PM »
Battletech is the mech management game i didn't know i wanted

Bebpo

« Reply #31069 on: April 29, 2018, 12:49:10 PM »
I still gotta load my copy. Been too busy. But I loved the shit out of Mechwarrior growing up (probably what first got me into mecha), so I'm sure I'll dig it.

I heard it's incredibly slow with unskippable animations though? Sounds like it'll be better after a couple patches aka Shadowrun Returns -> Dragonfall -> Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall Edition.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31070 on: April 29, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »
It really feels like their budget ran out in Act III, so they just had to wrap it up as much as they could.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #31071 on: April 29, 2018, 04:01:04 PM »
Act III's fine, and actually I think the way all your choices come together in the final trial is excellently done (the one part of Tyranny outside maybe the visuals I prefer to PoE; the ending of Pillars 1 your overall choices barely mean anything, it's almost closer to a narrative driven jrpg for the main story; otoh Tyranny feels like New Vegas in how all your choices make the main story).

The thing is Tyranny is clearly meant to be a small scale 15-20 hour replayable rpg on a tight budget and it works as that. If it sold well enough they could make a large fleshed out game with the lore that's presented (dunno how it sold).

As I've mentioned before, I liked Tyranny but it needs a little more meat and I didn't care for any of the cast compared to Pillars 1. It's a fun little game and I hope they get a chance to make a sequel.

Borys, you know that Tyranny is a re-imagining of Obsidian's huge budget Xbox One launch rpg that MS killed, right? So if that had actually seen the light of day it'd probably be the big epic fleshed out version of Tyranny with battling Kyros and everything. This was just like taking the concepts of the Xbox One game and scaling it down to a small budget infinity engine game.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31072 on: April 30, 2018, 10:48:22 AM »
Defeated Vicar Amelia and the Bloodstarved Beast in Bloodborne
Now in a place with a bunch of snakes.
Still really enjoying it. But I gotta be in a certain mood to play it.
que

kingv

« Reply #31073 on: April 30, 2018, 11:20:05 AM »
Damn, almost no fantasy tropes in tyranny. Very interesting.

I’ve wanted to play one for a while but... so little time, so many games.

One of the things I expect hurts games like this is all the bundles. For PC games, I avoid buying them until the last possible second because I have literally hundreds of steam games I’ve never even installed. And one thing that I know is always true is that indie games will eventually get bundled.

archie4208

« Reply #31074 on: April 30, 2018, 01:13:40 PM »
I tried playing Dead Rising 4 but the game kept on crashing.  I played some Warframe instead.  :yeshrug

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31075 on: April 30, 2018, 01:38:06 PM »
Also to those who played it how would you position Numenera?

PoE vs Tyranny vs Numenera?

That's tough, since I think all three have their own unique strengths and weaknesses. If I just had to rank them, though, I'd probably go: Numenera - PoE - Tyranny, but it's really close. The main thing that puts Numenera on top is the really strange, unique world and heavy emphasis on lots and lots of words.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31076 on: April 30, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »
Finished Metal Arms - Glitch in the System a couple days ago. Decent 3rd person robo-shooter with some bullshit difficulty spikes, but it was a fun romp overall. Save for the mindcontrol device and the slingshot, none of the weapons are really worth mentioning. The former is a portable version of the remote control consoles that show up earlier in the game as well. The consoles allow you to hijack a predifined robot, whereas the mindcontrol device allows you to possess any robot you see, provided you access the port on their backs. The slingshot is a largely pointless range extender for your grenades which I imagine few people use. Unfortunatley it's your only weapon in a late game gauntlet. Not only that, you have to ration the ammo and medpacks scattered about the stage.

Additional scattered memories:
- The quirky robot characters are funny, I suppose, but the charm wears off really quick.
- Rage inducing Simon Says section very late in the game. I failed this more often than any of the combat encounters. Loose controls and drifting sticks are not a good combination.
- Last boss needs to be hijacked. Unfortunately you first need to find four (or five?) chips scattered about in random crates around the arena. Have fun memorizing their locations in this samey looking environment as a several screen tall titan bears down on you with homing rockets.
- Once hijacked, you get to squish of the strongest enemies in the game like insects. Drags on a bit, but it is cathartic. 
- Warthog controls for vehicles. I know some people like this control scheme, but it is in fact an abomination.
- Now race down this bumpy half-pipe with said shit controls. And now do it with a tight time limit at the very end of the game. Hm.

Its 10th anniversary had me taking another look at GTA: San Andreas. Never got on well with these games before. The only one I've finished is IV, but I couldn't really take GTAIII, Vice City or San Andreas for more than a couple hours. I'm pretty sure I've hit a frustrating mission in all three and just uninstalled. We'll see how far I get this time.

So far I've spent more time modding the thing then playing it. Sticking to bug fixes mostly. The only cosmetic change is a mod which recreates various PS2 post-process effects. Dunno if I'll stick with it. Usually I prefer crips and unfiltered graphics, but neither the models nor the geometry in this game are all too appealing, so might as well put some lipstick on this pig.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31077 on: April 30, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »
Pac-Man 256 - I didn't know about this game until the recent EU PSN sale. It's a pretty addictive version of Pacman, in which you need to go forward constantly and level up attacks.

Bebpo

« Reply #31078 on: May 01, 2018, 12:49:41 AM »
Borys, you know that Tyranny is a re-imagining of Obsidian's huge budget Xbox One launch rpg that MS killed, right? So if that had actually seen the light of day it'd probably be the big epic fleshed out version of Tyranny with battling Kyros and everything. This was just like taking the concepts of the Xbox One game and scaling it down to a small budget infinity engine game.

What? Where did you get this from? I do not recall this rumour at all.

Not a rumor in the slightest. It's been confirmed many times over the last few years (Blood, Sweat and Pixels even talks about it iirc)

https://kotaku.com/tyranny-emerged-from-the-game-that-nearly-sank-obsidian-1767592617

Also I guess were not getting a bigger fleshed out Tyranny 2 sequel:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/05/tyranny-didnt-meet-sales-expectations-publisher-reveals/

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31079 on: May 01, 2018, 04:03:27 AM »
I completely forgot that I had finished Heavy Metal: FAKK 2 recently, too. I never saw or read the source material, but it's safe to stay this video game adaptation/sequel was inspired by Tomb Raider. It's the combat that is more competent than the platforming or puzzles in this one. Melee combat, specifically, as ammo is limited. Holds up well, minor annoyances notwithstanding. Short, but that also means there's barely any filler, which is very welcome.

- Got stuck on the geometry a lot. Not permanently, but enough to eat shit because of it. Quicksave to the rescue.
- Being able to hold two weapons is a gimmick and only makes switching from melee to ranged more cumbersome.
- Two-handers are slow and therefore useless. Only exception is the hedge trimmer's chain sword's alt-fire, which is what you expect it to be. Sadly extremely fuel-inefficient, so I used it only a handful of times.
- Click and hold RMB for a basic 2-hit string combo. Hold LMB during the 2nd hit for an extended combo involving whatever you hold in your other hand. What if that's a shield and you actually intend to block? Yup, you do the extended shield combo and open yourself up instead.
- The last boss requires that you give him the finishing blow using a jumping attack. I didn't even know that was a thing until I looked it up. It's clear they want you to use his own sword on him at some point, since you take it off him as part of the fight, but there's zero indication that you have to lunge at him. Stupid.