Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3605470 times)

MMaRsu and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31200 on: May 29, 2018, 12:36:20 PM »
Samus Returns has a weird difficulty curve. It's really difficult around the 3rd area, then you get some great powerups which make things considerably easier till the 6th area, which has a real challenging boss, hardest in the game. The difficulty remains fairly high for the rest of the game. You can't really get every item then expect to sleepwalk through the game like most Metroidvanias.
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31201 on: May 30, 2018, 09:24:09 AM »
God Bepbo what a horrible Rivers remix :S
What

daycru

« Reply #31202 on: May 30, 2018, 10:03:08 AM »
I have been play Yakuza 6 and Metroid Samus Returns.

Metroid is surprisingly difficult. I really died quite a few times in the first area. Now that I have some upgrades, however. It’s gotten a lot easier.

Yakuza 6 remains awesome. I really like this series. Is Shenmue similar? I feel like somehow these games are inspired by each other but Shenmue just looks dumb. And I know you have to find sailors or something.
Shenmue and Yakuza are nothing alike, other than exploring a mystery in a highly detailed Japan.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31203 on: May 30, 2018, 03:18:56 PM »

It's real bad. And it's got such a slow, awkward tempo that doesn't work at all with the dancing.
dog

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #31204 on: May 30, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »
Toybox Turbos

:rejoice

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #31205 on: May 30, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »

Was Playing some Destiny 2 but i need to get back to it.

Still playing Warframe because of course i fucking am  :whew

Bebpo

« Reply #31206 on: May 31, 2018, 02:16:26 AM »

It's real bad. And it's got such a slow, awkward tempo that doesn't work at all with the dancing.

Yeah, a lot of the mixes are bad. It’s weird because the p4d mixes were freaking great. There’s some good ones in p3d & p5d, but unlike p4d I have more fun playing the original songs in these new games.

Whoever was in charge of track selection needs to be fired. And if somehow it was Meguro that would be weird af.

archie4208

« Reply #31207 on: May 31, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »
The only remix I like in the new Persona dancing games is

kingv

« Reply #31208 on: May 31, 2018, 01:56:56 PM »
A Bayonetta dancing game would at least make sense.

Corporal

« Reply #31209 on: June 01, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »
Am alternating between Hyrule Warriors and that F2P Blockemon game.

Nearly failed the second stage in HW because I accidentally put the game on hard, forgot where I was supposed to go and sent my doods to the wrong places repeatedly like some bloody nublet. I really miss the second screen. Everything was so effortless on the 3DS. The far more obvious pausing really fucks with the flow.  :'(
Still gud tho. Plenty of fun to be had -  although, with so many characters unlocked from the beginning, I'm kinda missing the excitement.

And they still manage to make the game chug at times.  >:( :lol
!list

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31210 on: June 02, 2018, 01:55:29 AM »
Cho Chabudai Gaeshi (Super Table Flip)

^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31211 on: June 02, 2018, 06:39:13 AM »
Help. I don't have time for this. Also, a small part of my brain is convinced this is not what a sane person would do. :-\

Looks dang good though. All that HD, and at quite possibly two-digit framerates. And loads of mobs.

Ah wahtever. Teh smol paht wus wiek. Now i strongr. Hyrl Warrs gud.

Like the french philosopher Schnitzel said: "The definition of insanity is playing Hyrule Warriors over and over again, expecting a different outcome."

paprikastaude

« Reply #31212 on: June 02, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »
Super Mario RPG - when it originally came out in EU through Virtual Console I was put off by the art direction, but now I gave it chance and got pretty hooked. Feels good to play a good "new" Mario RPG again after so much time. :noah (i.e. since 2009 or whenever Bowser's Story came out)

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #31213 on: June 02, 2018, 08:46:46 AM »
Setting up NOLF 1 and for the most part I'm good to go: widescreen, AA forced through NVIDIA Inspector, everything displays right / controls well @ 1080p / 60 FPS; all things good except for some weird issue when using the scroll wheel to switch guns—the framerate tanks to 30-35 FPS every time.

Anyone see that these games have been patched for modern systems and available to download through a website for the past year or so? RockPaperShotgun even wrote about it and linked to the site. I'll remove this if it's not kosher. The legality of it all seems a little ambiguous, something having to do with the rights being in limbo.

http://nolfrevival.tk

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31214 on: June 02, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »
I have a nolf 2 jewelcase but im missing one goddamn disc.

Thx for that site tho
What

archnemesis

« Reply #31215 on: June 02, 2018, 10:13:01 AM »
I spent maybe 15 hours on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 before abandoning it. The combat system is not awful, but every battle play out the same and even fights against common enemies drag out forever. Characters, plot and story are pretty standard for a JRPG and not enough to keep me from dropping it.

Nintendo Labo is a really cool creative toy kit if you have children. I picked up both kits and just folding the cardboard together is worth the entry cost.

I have barely used my gaming PC this year and decided to pick up something new. Frostpunk is a resource management sim where you try build the last city on earth after a blizzard has destroyed civilization. You have to survive the cold by making tough choices for your citizens. Forcing children to work and mixing saw dust into food might be necessary to prevent everyone from extinction. My first run was over in a matter of in-game days. The second attempt went a lot better and it was enough to unlock the second scenario. Now that I'm playing it for a third time I'm finally doing really well. I know what to expect and I can prepare my city for inevitable challenges.

Most of my gaming time has been poured into the Magic: The Gathering Arena beta. The weekly and daily rewards are sufficiently generous to make me come back to it most nights. On the weekends I can afford to play the draft mode a handful of times. I've wasted all of my precious wild cards on trying out wacky decks, all of which are worse than the default started decks. It doesn't matter anyway since all progress will be wiped. Overall it is a great take on Magic and it is perfect for a casual player like myself who got tired of Magic: Online a decade ago.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31216 on: June 02, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »
Super Mario RPG - when it originally came out in EU through Virtual Console I was put off by the art direction, but now I gave it chance and got pretty hooked. Feels good to play a good "new" Mario RPG again after so much time. :noah (i.e. since 2009 or whenever Bowser's Story came out)

The only Mario RPG I can say I really liked. The overwrought treehouse translation style was at a minimum here, which helps. Culex was an awesome secret boss too.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #31217 on: June 02, 2018, 12:29:57 PM »
Thankfully Nintendo Europe always did its own translations.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31218 on: June 02, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31219 on: June 02, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »
Setting up NOLF 1 and for the most part I'm good to go: widescreen, AA forced through NVIDIA Inspector, everything displays right / controls well @ 1080p / 60 FPS; all things good except for some weird issue when using the scroll wheel to switch guns—the framerate tanks to 30-35 FPS every time.
There's a fix, but it might screw with your driver settings.
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Operative:_No_One_Lives_Forever#Framerate_drops_when_changing_weapons.2Ffunction_or_when_zooming_in

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31220 on: June 02, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »
Alternating between Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

DKCTF: This game is so good. The Sea Breeze Cove area might be the best selection of water levels ever in a video game. All these water levels are insanely well designed and the David Wise music.  :preach
The only thing that lacks in this world is the boss. The boss (a blow fish) is kinda weak after having beaten an Octopus that follows you through a level. I can see why they went with the blow fish mechanics wise but it just doesn't have the same punch to it.
Now on to the Fruit Harvest world. Starting from world 2 the pacing in this game is pretty much perfect.

XBC2: Starting on Chapter 4 now. Chapter 3 was the longest chapter so far I think. Finally more of the plot was revealed. Overall I'm still having a lot of fun with this game. The only downsides being Poppi and Tora (good god those voices) and the constant
talking in battles. Also drew two rare blades from the Gacha system today. What I especially like are the gorgeous environments. They really put a lot of care into world building and again the music in this game is godly too. That reminds me that most Nintendo published Switch games have god tier soundtracks.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31221 on: June 03, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »
I'm guessing Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is on the to play list, seeing that Temple of Elemental Evil is there.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31222 on: June 03, 2018, 01:23:47 PM »
kinda neat tech note, that fancy water/liquid in Dark Alliance's engine is done using that massive polygon fillrate of the PS2's...even at the time you apparently wouldn't have done water effects that way, except that they found they could do it on the VU so fast with no framerate hit, one of the games that used the engine for other developers, I think the Fallout one, sometimes takes a framerate hit on the Xbox when it's doing that plus other effects...kinda like how MGS2's Xbox port didn't optimize for the differences so has a bad framerate caused by simple things along with missing effects despite the Xbox being so much more powerful (and capable with the rudimentary shaders) on paper

Also re-installed Splinter Cell, since I could barely remember what it was like. Turns out the levels are extremely narrow and your handlers give you what amounts to stage instructions at every turn. The experience is so guided it barely feels like a game. I vaguely recall later levels being less linear, but I might be mixing it up with Chaos Theory.
the first one is very much like that in the PC/Xbox iteration, basically one room with one set of tasks after another connected by hallways, when they redid the levels and missions for the PS2 they started to open it up a bit more, but it's not really until Chaos Theory that the series starts to move away from that guided trial and error path

Completely unrelated Star Wars game, but that reminds me I also had to stop Star Wars Racing recently, because the courses became ridiculously long and difficult by the end. Like 5 minute long tracks over 3 laps (i.e. 10 minute+ for a single race) with no room for error.
iirc they scaled the tracks for the theoretical speeds of the pod racers, so they had to be unrealistically long or else you'd blast through them in just a few seconds at the theoretical speed, then you start upgrading and you get brutally long tracks

it's kinda like mario kart 64's absurdly long tracks causing that game to get less fun as it goes on

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #31223 on: June 03, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »
There's a fix, but it might screw with your driver settings.
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Operative:_No_One_Lives_Forever#Framerate_drops_when_changing_weapons.2Ffunction_or_when_zooming_in

Thanks, this did it. No more FPS drops. Game runs perfect now.

nudemacusers

« Reply #31224 on: June 03, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
playing sea of thieves, great aesthetic, not much to do and a lot of odd design decisions... more meat pls. still, a lot of fun just to drift around without aim.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31225 on: June 03, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »
Also re-installed Splinter Cell, since I could barely remember what it was like. Turns out the levels are extremely narrow and your handlers give you what amounts to stage instructions at every turn. The experience is so guided it barely feels like a game. I vaguely recall later levels being less linear, but I might be mixing it up with Chaos Theory.
the first one is very much like that in the PC/Xbox iteration, basically one room with one set of tasks after another connected by hallways, when they redid the levels and missions for the PS2 they started to open it up a bit more, but it's not really until Chaos Theory that the series starts to move away from that guided trial and error path
Huh. I played it on PS2 initially. I assumed it's this narrow because of the PS2 version. Now I hope I can find a good comparison video on Youtube.

Anyway, I finished it yesterday (3 bonus missions left still, but - eh) and I can confirm: the split jump is superfluous. I have not used it once outside of the tutorial. I'm not convinced there's even a good opportunity for it. What a travesty.

Thanks, this did it. No more FPS drops. Game runs perfect now.

(Image removed from quote.)
Enjoy accidentally interrupting, then reloading just to listen to the guard conversations. Top notch stuff. b

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31226 on: June 03, 2018, 11:21:14 PM »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31227 on: June 04, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »
I'm done with Dragon Quest Heroes II For all the content in weapons and characters and such, there's not much content in actual levels.
Towards the end I hated how it got to be a bunch of damage sponge bosses that took a ton of time to beat. It's not that I mind long fights, but I hate when the "strategy" to the boss is "haha! You do like 5 damage per hit and it has 9000 HP. Let's see who's more patient." I really enjoyed it but the end game just sorta fell apart. Too bad. otherwise it was pretty good.

Now I'm playing Baldur's Gate 1 on my GPD win I bought from Bork. I've never played it really. So it's nice. Though, I have to admit, it's at times difficult to see on the small screen.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31228 on: June 04, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »
More Pokeymans Yellow, just made it to Saffron City. 5/8 badges.
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31229 on: June 04, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
Blast from the past!!!

So 2 days ago when looking for a drink I found this in my cupboard:

And since I did not beat it yet it was time to dust off the ol' PS2 and give it a whirl.

I want to finish all the isometric IE/ Obsidian/ Black Isle/ BioWare etc. games available and so far so good:

- Baldur's Gate + XP
- Baldur's Gate 2 + XP
- Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
- Icewind Dale + XP
- Icewind Dale 2
- Planescape: Torment
- Neverwinter Nights + 3x XP
- Neverwinter Nights 2 + 3x XP
- Dragon Age 1 + 2xXP
- Dragon Age 2 + all XP
- Dragon Age 3 + all XP
- Fallout 1
- Fallout 2
- Fallout: Tactics
- Jade Empire
- Pillars of Eternity + XP
- KOTOR
- KOTOR 2
- Temple of Elemental Evil

(I forgot to put BG: DA up there; shame)

14 hours later game is finished :D :rofl

That was, umm, fast.

Now, how shitty is this game in 2018? Ehh...pretty bad. I mean I remember enjoying BG:DA1 some time ago but the sequel was just totally uninteresting. There were token D&D encounters here: Dragons, Mindflayer (one), Umberhulks, Lich (one) etc. but they are so... bland.......... hacky & slashy........... the only saving grace are the "gimmick" levels that you encounter: poison gas on the level, fire all around you, unkillable boss that annoys you through the whole area and of course the 4 Elemental Realms. That was somewhat interesting.

Oh, one more thing.

This is the city of Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate:

This is the city of Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II:

:rofl No, literally this is the whole city. One square in the middle with maybe ~5 buildings around it.

---

Once I powered on my PS2 I was taken aback by the saves that are still there on my 8MB Memory Card.

226 hours on my FF12 save!

FFX save from 2008!

It's a motherfucking wonder this little PS2 is still working.

Best. Console. Ever.
Ah yes, Dark Alliance.
I remember two things about that game:

1) The water

and

2) The bar maid

Both were lovingly animated.
que

Corporal

« Reply #31230 on: June 04, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »
Finished Pokemon Quest. As in, beat the endboss and got the credit scroll. Only post-game left, which is ten times more grind than the main game.
:snore

What a waste of time. By the end I just left it on autobattle with one Poke dedicated to Harden the fuck out of the party and the rest whateverthefuck dealt most damage. Wheeee, what fun.

Useful tip if you are actually playing this game: If your Porkelmans are nigh dead, navigate the hand cursor to the gray border to the left of the retreat button (between it and the game content). By mashing the A button, you can now ignore the Retreat cooldown. So unless your braindead 'mons get stuck somewhere, you can just run away until you have regenerated most of your health. Much skill so wow.  :doge
!list

Bebpo

« Reply #31231 on: June 05, 2018, 02:31:41 AM »
So Persona 3 Dancing doesn’t have the final boss song (battle for everyone’s soul) wtf

P4D and P5D have the final stages be this epic full team battle to the long and challenging final boss song. Not sure why P3D didn’t do that.

In the end both P3D and P5D have some good tracks, but it’s like 5 good tracks, 15 ok stuff, and 5 bad songs. I don’t think they even have 25 songs each. With no story mode and weaker track lists you can blow through each game and be over them in 2-4 hours each. Maybe they should have packaged them together as one $60 game.

Still the final boss song in P5D is pretty amazing and I really liked this P3D mix with Yukari:

So there’s some good stuff in there. Wonder what they’ll add music-wise in DLC tracks.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31232 on: June 05, 2018, 05:10:30 AM »
Huh. I played it on PS2 initially. I assumed it's this narrow because of the PS2 version. Now I hope I can find a good comparison video on Youtube.
The PS2 version actually has better level design arguably because they got a second chance at each level and had to chop some of them up, but the levels aren't really less narrow, it's just the objectives are a bit more flexible and they fixed or removed some of the more annoying things. (The most famous example being that lights have ten times larger hitboxes so you don't have to find the single pixel that knocks them out.)

The oil rig mission that's PS2 exclusive is really the only one that starts to get out of that corridor style because they can implement everything they had "learned" to that point.

The first game's main differences are in texture variety/quality and lighting/transparencies, the PS2 has a few more effects actually. But by Chaos Theory the difference is wider than the Pacific, they look like two separate generations even on the first mission. Of course, Double Agent has the biggest differences of the series across platforms, what with one generation having a completely different game and mostly only sharing the premise. I know there's a good number of people who prefer the Xbox/PS2/Wii version to the 360/PS3/PC version.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31233 on: June 05, 2018, 06:08:55 AM »
The PS2 version actually has better level design arguably because they got a second chance at each level and had to chop some of them up, but the levels aren't really less narrow, it's just the objectives are a bit more flexible and they fixed or removed some of the more annoying things. (The most famous example being that lights have ten times larger hitboxes so you don't have to find the single pixel that knocks them out.)
:lol
 I quickly learned to quicksave just for that. I also don't like how some lights are bulletproof just because. It makes sense for spotlights (you'd cause an alarm, anyway) but I was puzzled by indestructible lamps in utility closets.

The oil rig mission that's PS2 exclusive is really the only one that starts to get out of that corridor style because they can implement everything they had "learned" to that point.
The fan wiki goes over it in detail. They even link walkthrough for both versions. :leon
http://splintercell.wikia.com/wiki/Oil_Refinery

Of course, Double Agent has the biggest differences of the series across platforms, what with one generation having a completely different game and mostly only sharing the premise. I know there's a good number of people who prefer the Xbox/PS2/Wii version to the 360/PS3/PC version.
I wonder why. :thinking
Quote from: Splinter Cell Wikia
The other version (referred to as Version 2) was developed by Ubisoft Montreal (who worked on Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory) and was released for Xbox, PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Wii.
Ah.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #31234 on: June 05, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »
ATOLS Remix
ATOLS is super rad, they have an album or two up on Spotify that are well worth your time. :uguu
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31235 on: June 06, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
3) I have ~20 Party Members to choose from........... what the living fuck? and those not in the party do not level up with you ;_; so they are becoming auto-obsolete

20 party members.  :teehee

spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's 128 total.  :P
[close]
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #31236 on: June 06, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
If you want short PS1, get on Parasite Eve. I got Suikoden 2 on my PSP for a German vacation too recently, but stayed with Burnout at that moment - I only played an hour or so and remember being annoyed that it's too easy to accidently click the wrong dialogue choice.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31237 on: June 06, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
I am now playing Suikoden while in Germany for the week (Frankfurt).

1) it is a PSX game that looks like a SNES game!
2) the music is FANTASTIC!!
3) I have ~20 Party Members to choose from........... what the living fuck? and those not in the party do not level up with you ;_; so they are becoming auto-obsolete
4) Random Encounter rate is borderline Skies of Arcadia level, ugh...

Hopefully the game is short as yall've said (20-30 hours) unlike other PSX JRPGs which are 40-60 hours as I would like to beat it by Sunday.

Wait until you play 2... one of the best RPGs ever for sure. Sadly, the rest of the series never comes close to the high of the first 2 games (although 5 isn't bad if you can get over a super steep encounter rate and terrible graphics).
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #31238 on: June 06, 2018, 10:59:49 AM »
I really liked Suikoden III, but yeah, 2 is the best by far. IV is a dumpster fire.
©@©™

archnemesis

« Reply #31239 on: June 06, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
I also dislike IV, but maybe I would like it better if I played it today on an emulator. The other mainline Suikoden games are fantastic.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31240 on: June 06, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »
I am now playing Suikoden while in Germany for the week (Frankfurt).

1) it is a PSX game that looks like a SNES game!
2) the music is FANTASTIC!!
4) Random Encounter rate is borderline Skies of Arcadia level, ugh...

Hopefully the game is short as yall've said (20-30 hours) unlike other PSX JRPGs which are 40-60 hours as I would like to beat it by Sunday.

Make sure you read a guide. The true ending is extremely missable.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #31241 on: June 06, 2018, 05:25:55 PM »
Suikoden I&II are still some of the best rpgs ever made and they hold up great and will probably for all time. Glad you’re finally getting to experience them. II is 8000x better, but a lot of it only works if you’ve played I so I is still essential and a totally fine little 20 hour rpg.

Bebpo

« Reply #31242 on: June 06, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »
Started playing Night in the Woods last night on Switch and I really like it so far. Feels very polished and I like the controls on Switch. The writing is sorta charming too.

Vit-Symty

« Reply #31243 on: June 06, 2018, 10:41:32 PM »
IIRC, Suikoden is like 12-15 hours long (without rushing).

Take note: best way to earn money in the game is by taking advantage of the dice game. You'll max out pretty quickly if you do.

[close]

Where did the extra 20 characters come from?  ???
[close]

This reminds me that I really need to complete Twinbee RPG soon. I shelved it the moment I reached the final chapter for some dumb reason. It's very short for an RPG though, shorter than Suikoden. Also I need to finish writing about the last Konami RPG I completed last year (I'm lazy).

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #31244 on: June 06, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »

[close]

Where did the extra 20 characters come from?  ???
[close]

You had to preorder the Digital Deluxe Edition to get that Day 1 DLC. Sorry you missed it.
©@©™

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #31245 on: June 07, 2018, 06:19:43 AM »
Finally going to start Kerbal Space Program. Loved Space Engineers so let's see how this one works out.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31246 on: June 08, 2018, 03:28:36 PM »
From what little I played of Suikoden I remember the DS game Suikoden Tierkreis not being half bad either.
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31247 on: June 08, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »
didnt even get the true ending smh

run it back, save Pahn and Gremio
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #31248 on: June 08, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »

Yeah, a great JRPG. Took me 20 hrs 55 mins and I have found around 81 Party Members. To be honest this aspect of the game was kind of ridiculous. I was by all means trying to stick to my favourite party but they were either getting killed by the story all the time or locked out for the majority of the game. I really dislike when JRPGs force switch your party members AND they take away their inventory - even for the time being only :/ Don't do this JDEVs.

Game is highly recommended if you even remotely like Dragon Quest games especially DQ6/7.

And Suikoden 2 is even better? Whoa.

You should really try to get all 108 stars in the Suikoden games. Especially since you like to do all the stuff in most rpgs. A lot of small characters have cameos in later games and it makes it an even better experiences getting all 108. It's part of the charm of the series. But yeah, you need to use a faq for it because otherwise lol

From what little I played of Suikoden I remember the DS game Suikoden Tierkreis not being half bad either.

It's serviceable as a spinoff. The only good Suikoden games are 1&2. 3 is a good story but it's that early low budget PS2 kinda dated unplayable now unless they remake it someday and fuck everything after Murayama got booted.

Bebpo

« Reply #31249 on: June 08, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
Thinking back, Suikoden II is probably my 2nd favorite jrpg of all time behind Xenogears with Tactics Ogre (PSP edition) probably being 3rd or maybe Shadow Hearts 2 for 3rd. idk.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #31250 on: June 08, 2018, 06:27:05 PM »
Destiny 2

the Story is ok so far but i can see why people would use "the shooting is good" as the main defense for the game.

Also i don't mind getting that Light level up

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #31251 on: June 08, 2018, 06:33:30 PM »
Lol I’m playing tower of guns and accidentally triggered an Easter egg by falling off the map with a no fall damage perk

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31252 on: June 08, 2018, 08:19:56 PM »
Destiny 2

the Story is ok so far but i can see why people would use "the shooting is good" as the main defense for the game.

Also i don't mind getting that Light level up
Got an Xbox One when Destiny launched along with Forza Horizon 2. Destiny lasted for about a month spend more time reading on the development troubles and replacing Peter Dinklage.
It looked very nice at launch but had zero depth.

Fast forward and everyone tells me that The Taken King is much much better and everything Destiny should've been. I buy the Taken King, renew my Xbox Live Gold and get back into Destiny again for about a month.

Hard pass on Destiny 2.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #31253 on: June 09, 2018, 12:16:19 AM »
I'm fairly confident in saying Mutant Mudds Super Challenge is one of, if not the, most difficult mainstream games released in the last decade. It puts most NES games to shame - it's certainly harder than Castlevania,  Kid Icarus, and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.

Bebpo

« Reply #31254 on: June 09, 2018, 04:03:18 AM »
Picked up GT Sport for $20 and played a little bit. I really like all the non-racing stuff with the photo mode and car history museums and youtube video integration to learn more about car manufacturers and cars. The racing early on is ok, it's slow boring sim GT on mostly real world race tracks (aka mostly boring looking places). Graphics are pretty nice, but I can't tell if there's damage and I don't think there's weather yet? Not sure about time of day. The car list was surprisingly small since I know it's been adding a lot. Doesn't even have Honda S2000, which is like the first sim racing game I've played that doesn't have it.

Since I'm more an arcade racer (much more), it's no Forza Horizon 3 or anything, but seems ok for $20.

Bebpo

« Reply #31255 on: June 10, 2018, 12:43:46 AM »
GT Sport is growing on me. I like the Circuit learning/circuit experience + Mission mode offline portion way better than the zzz do a bunch of cups and get a little money each time. You can tell that was added after and the circuit/mission stuff was the original offline portion because it gives a lot of credits and a lot of free cars. Will try out the online next time I play, but I figure I'm so far behind the people who've been playing since launch won't really have much of a chance. Still for $20, I'm enjoying this.

It does, however, make me hope they do a normal numbered GT again with an old school rpg campaign. With these visuals and handling and stuff, it'd be a lot of fun to have a meaty SP GT game to play.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31256 on: June 10, 2018, 08:25:52 AM »
Tried getting into Age of Empires II again.

It's fun but I suck at RTS so much. (Image removed from quote.) I can play but there's so much chaos. I get a kick out attacking the enemy's base with an army I secretly built up. But there's too much shit going on. I tried RTS so many times. Reading a short guide helped. But I never stopped sucking at it. :lol
They key to those old school RTS games is to keep your enemy occupied with a number of small and annoying attacks.
In AOEII I would hit the remote farms, pieces of village just out of range of the towers etc. .
Economic attacks are far more damaging than military attacks. If you go and storm the farms/city halls with some cavalry, chances are that 10% of your units will get through the defenses and land some hits to kill peasants.
Enough attacks on the economy will diminish their ability to progress in the tech tree and era advancement.

At the same time your system of defense should be based on depth. Instead of rebuilding the defense lines and walls as the Era's progress you should build layer on layer as the ages progress and keep the original lines more or less in tact.
That way the enemy gets worn out as they reach the center of your empire (which should be a hard point in the middle). In modern RTS's this is different because it's usually better to build things closer together. In AOEII however, movement for most units is a bit slow and AI path finding not that great. Pincer movements (surround enemy armies and surprise flanking attacks from the sides) can also be very effective. If there's a large body of water focus on building ships. Ships can be deadly (especially late game), and keeping them close to the shores allows you to use them to attack ground armies as well.

Keep a close eye on enemy formations.
Formations are usually a straight line based on unit speed with the siege weapons in the back. Simply ride past the enemy units with your cavalry.
Mid-game the enemy usually stops sending units one by one and only resorts to formations such as these.

Code: [Select]
1    CCC    2
|    FFF    |
|    AAA    |
>>>> SSS <<<<

F= Foot soldier
A= Archers
C= Cavalry
S= Siege weapon

1= Attack group 1
2= Attack group 2

Move your armies past the enemy lines (don't hit them head on, except with only a few diversion attacks).
Encircle them, and take out their siege weapons and they will lack the strength to do any meaningful damage to buildings or do long range attacks.

Put low health foot soldiers/cavalry (not archers) in front as well to stall enemy attacks. Even units with 1/3 health can still do some damage and stall the enemy.

Before you know it you will bathe in the blood of your enemies

🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31257 on: June 10, 2018, 01:03:59 PM »
My search for short RPGs led me to this PA thread:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/14462/the-best-short-rpgs

Where somebody recommended Brain Lord (SNES) as a 10-hour long RPG.

So I started it yesterday and 12 hours later met the Final Boss:

Brain Lord is a Zelda-like game meaning the encounters are real-time and faced straight on the map - no battle transition needed. And just as Zelda it has Attack/ Block/ Jump/ Magic buttons and hidden Heart Containers all over the "world". There are puzzles all over the place mostly of two kinds: push the rock on the floor plate/ guess the correct order of buttons to be pushed. In typical Zelda fashion there are collapsing floors, floor hazards, hundreds of jumps on moving platforms and a magic wand that creates stone bridges in air for you (unfortunately it is found and useable only in the last dungeon in the last 1 hour of the game :( )

The game is incredibly small. You have only 2 towns: Arc and Toronto and 4 Main Dungeons: Tower of Light, Alien Ruins with lasers and robots and shit, Ice Castle and the Final Palace; 4 Bosses in total. There is no overworld - everything is connected via tunnells or forest paths.

I'll never understand why is this game called "Brain Lord" as there is NO reference to anything like that in the entire lore. There were Dragons, Demon King, Ancient Civilization, Orks etc. but nothing related to Brain/ Mind.

---

This is one of the 3 RPGs that I've started and finished on the same day:

- Ys 1
- Undertale
- Brain Lord

I guess I will start Breath of Fire 1 next. Dunno.

Yeah, I played Brain Lord a few years ago... had some interesting ideas and cool puzzles, at first I thought it was a total 'hidden gem' of a game... but once you started getting the companion spirits following you around, the slowdown was too intense and it kept the game from achieving greatness. The art style is weird, a bit more 'western' than your average SNES RPG, it was done by the same team that did 7th Saga iirc, which also applies a similar style.

The shortest RPGs I've ever played were probably:

-Neugier - an action RPG by Wolf Team that's actually score-ranked based on how long you take to beat/what item percentage you can find. A first time playthrough only takes about 2-3 hours, depending on how lost you get in the maze-like chapter 5 :P There's some annoying platforming elements, but it's pretty cool even despite its short length.

-Exile 2: Wicked Phenomenon - Only took about 2-3 hours. Working Designs, the US publisher, fucked up the difficulty level in the game, by tweaking a variable at the last second which caused the difficulty to shoot through the roof, making the game near-impossible without taking advantages of glitches to beat. But luckily, there's a "de-Working-Design" patch you can get to revert the difficulty back to the Japanese version, I used the patch to play through.

-Exile 1 is a bit longer than 2 (5 or so hours, maybe a bit longer because some of the later levels are maze-like), and a much better game than its sequel.

-Dragon Quest 1 can probably be beaten in under 10 hours, the SNES/GB remakes even less time due to balance and gameplay tweaks (eg. less grinding needed). I'm sure you've probably played this though.

-Ys III - about 4 hours to beat... I recommend the Turbo Duo port, due to the epic soundtrack. Even if the scrolling is kinda choppy whenever parallax is employed.

-Rhapsody - 10 hour long strategy RPG/musical hybrid. The dungeons are really repetitive, towns are like one screen large, and battles are almost impossible to lose. It's got its moments but it wasn't much my cup of tea. I think Disgaea actually started as a spinoff of Rhapsody.

-Lufia 2 - took me just under 20 hours, so it's longer than the rest of these, but it still feels extremely fleshed out, with a developing storyline, great characters, and some amazing puzzle-based dungeons (if you've played Golden Sun or Wild Arms, it's very similar to those, but even more devious and creative). And there's a whole bonus dungeon called the Ancient Cave that plays almost like a roguelike (levels reset to 1 every time you go in, you can only use items you procure in that cave, etc), it seems like something right up your alley.

Borys, I'd definitely recommend you go Suikoden II next, even if it's a bit longer in length than the first game (took me ~35h to get all 108 charas). BOF1 isn't a bad pick, have you played any of the rest of the series? I've played them all but 2, and I like 3 and 5 the best. 5 is radically different from the rest of the series, and most people hated it, but it's got great music and some really neat ideas that were later used in... Dead Rising, of all things. Also have you played any of the Wild Arms games?
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31258 on: June 10, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »
Play Beyond Oasis / Legend of Oasis its a better version of Brain Lord
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #31259 on: June 10, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »
Play Beyond Oasis / Legend of Oasis its a better version of Brain Lord

But don't forget to turn the music off. I think I can somewhat guess what Yuzo was going for, but that hardware clearly couldn't keep up.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:16:39 PM by Spieler1 »