Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3590817 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32700 on: February 16, 2019, 06:03:02 AM »
Bayo1 has the combat, but the level design is pure shit. Full of trial & error and amateurish non-combat sections. 2 is way better, but hard is now what normal difficulty was before (and normal is easy). Other than that, only the lame flying sections were overused. Also 2 has one of the best intros ever.
I also liked 2 more.
Too many awful moments in 1, and some straight up bullshit insta death QTEs and attacks out of cutscenes.
Also Bayo 1 is piss filter galore, whereas 2 has some really great aesthetics.

I love both tho.

I remember people complaining about Bayonetta 2 ruining the combo system from 1, but i never got to those depths to really appreciate that, so to me Bayo 2 is almost exclusively better (though the story of 1 is, indeed, better).

paprikastaude

« Reply #32701 on: February 16, 2019, 06:33:28 AM »
KT needs to copy/paste NG2 gameplay into a Nioh spinoff with the two ninja characters or something.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32702 on: February 16, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
Picked up an indie game on Steam called Eastshade on a whim yesterday. It's an open-world RPG where instead of doing quests and fighting monsters, you do quests and make paintings. There's some simple crafting [mostly gathering what you need to make new canvases], enough to incentivize exploration but not enough bog you down in minutiae. You can pick up some quests from talking to people, which are generally fairly simple [talking to someone else, creating a specific painting, or finding some kind of item], nothing very in-depth but that's fine. The main draw is the very relaxing atmosphere, exploring new locations, and hearing people's stories, basically Elder Scrolls but without all the annoying stuff [combat, inventory management].
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32703 on: February 16, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I have to force myself to do just about anything.

Svejk

« Reply #32704 on: February 17, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
Got to a point in AC: Odyssey.  Just finished chapter 9...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just fought (and killed Deimos)... Got killed the first time I fought him... But on that try, He killed our Mater.. Second try, I changed some of the dialogue choices, so she was spared this go round, and in the end, I killed him... No other choices afterwards..
 got the trophy starting, "the end of the Odyssey"... Was this supposed to be an ending?? I still have like 8-10 of the cult left.. should I keep going? Is there more an ending?  Just seems kinda weird and the story pacing is a bit fucked. 
[close]
I dunno.. I'm in this weird state now if I want to keep going, or just move on to another game... I enjoy playing, but I think I'm getting burned out too.  :doge

Freyj

« Reply #32705 on: February 17, 2019, 02:54:58 PM »
Finished Onimusha Remaster. Give 2 and 3 Remasters now. I will pay Jean Reno tax.

Never played Dawn of Dreams but IIRC it strays pretty far from what I enjoyed about 1-3 (Samurai Resident Evil).

Bebpo

« Reply #32706 on: February 18, 2019, 01:46:19 AM »
Reached Memphis in AC Origins after taking out the Hyena in Giza. As much as I was enjoying Origins I'm kinda burned out at this point. The main issue I have is that every single quest and even most main story quests just lead you to a base/fort somewhere and you just take out the captain/sub-captain/find treasure and that feels like 90% of the gameplay loop. I'm tired of forts/bases after doing like 30-40 of them by now. Also kinda tired of always aggro-ing raiders and animals.

And I don't understand what the point of climbing towers to synchro is in this game because the entire section of the map and all its contents are instantly shown when you take one step in. I still enjoy climbing and synching but I feel like you should have to sync to clear the fog of war on the map for each area like in the old games.

Anyhow I liked the story stuff with the Hyena and Apep Snake and stuff so I think I'm just gonna ignore all the side stuff and just run the main story from here on out. I'm pretty overleveled (lvl.27 and Memphis is lvl.21 MSQ) so either that'll take me the rest of the way or by the time the main story catches up to my levels I'll be less burned out and be more ok going around doing sidequests again.

Definitely don't see myself playing Odyssey for a couple years assuming it's the same gameplay loop of forts/bases over and over and over.

Finished Onimusha Remaster. Give 2 and 3 Remasters now. I will pay Jean Reno tax.

Never played Dawn of Dreams but IIRC it strays pretty far from what I enjoyed about 1-3 (Samurai Resident Evil).

What I remember about DoD from like 15 years ago was just that it was uglier because full 3d, more combat focused with multiple playable characters, less story focused and people whined that you played as some generic anime dude instead of cool Samurai dudes from 1-3.

Svejk

« Reply #32707 on: February 18, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »
Decided to keep on truckin' with AC:Odyssey.  Got to lvl 50 and got the arena trophy and completed the map.  ....and got to Medusa...  she kicked my ass a good few times, but I realized I was fighting her all wrong and that the bow is my friend...  and wow... ok... I never knew you could hug walls and shoot around corners...  :doge  I need to spec up my bow and boost some hunter abilities for her.  AND I completely forgot you can craft arrows.   :doge :doge  I was running around like an idiot hoping the arrow racks in the fight area would magically replenish more arrows... :doge :doge :doge  It was close to 4am, so I can't say I was in top form.  :doge :doge :doge :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32708 on: February 18, 2019, 10:40:44 AM »
Decided to keep on truckin' with AC:Odyssey.  Got to lvl 50 and got the arena trophy and completed the map.  ....and got to Medusa...  she kicked my ass a good few times, but I realized I was fighting her all wrong and that the bow is my friend...  and wow... ok... I never knew you could hug walls and shoot around corners...  :doge  I need to spec up my bow and boost some hunter abilities for her.  AND I completely forgot you can craft arrows.   :doge :doge  I was running around like an idiot hoping the arrow racks in the fight area would magically replenish more arrows... :doge :doge :doge  It was close to 4am, so I can't say I was in top form.  :doge :doge :doge :doge

:doge
                   :doge :doge
          :doge :doge :doge
 :doge :doge :doge :doge
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32709 on: February 18, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »
Didn't play very much over the weekend- just some Dragonball FighterZ on Friday night- it hit me that I have no idea who the hell I really like in this game apart from Android 21.  Also some New Super Bros. U Deluxe for Switch last night.  Some of the hidden coin locations are hidden just enough that I had to resort to a FAQ to find them.
:stahp

Was also recently playing BlazBlue Cross-Tag and BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma Special Edition on Switch- someone pointed out on Twitter that you need to change the region when playing import versions of these games.  Checked and sure enough- it was set to Asia.  No wonder I wasn't getting many matches!
:neogaf
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #32710 on: February 18, 2019, 10:53:41 AM »
ICO on PS3.

I like it very much.

I went to SotC first on the collection and Ico surprised me afterwards with the controls and camera being significantly less shite in comparison, excluding one or two specific jumps. Until the end, which is one giant near-unplayable platforming section. Still a good game.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 12:48:51 PM by Spieler1 »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32711 on: February 18, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »
Platinumed DQXI finally and moved on to a few other games:

The Messenger - Picked this up again, and while I was liking how the difficulty level was pretty easy, all of a sudden it started taking the worst elements of the Ninja Gaiden games and amplifying them. Awful enemy placement, hitstun when you are in mid air causing you to plummet to your doom, insta-kill crushable walls and lasers. I made it to the boss right before the game turns into 16 bit and almost beat him like 5 times. Will keep on trying to plow through.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix - Janky af in that early 3D game way but I'm still finding some sort of enjoyment. I just beat Hollow Bastion but am gonna do a sweep of all of the worlds to get the stuff I missed, before going to the final world. The story was relatively straightforward, though in Hollow Bastion it started moving away from Disney and more toward FF, which I liked. Some of the elements in the game just don't work with its shitty camera and cramped environments (most worlds have areas the size of a Brooklyn apartment). Especially the boss fights with Ursula and the dragon, or the platforming scene in Tarzan's jungle. Will move on to Chain of Memories HD next, since I'm gonna go in order down the list of games in the collection, try to play 3 or so a year.

Cosmic Star Heroine - Just started playing this and I love the music, it's got a synthwave/electroclash thing going on, with some CT-style bass thrown in there. Playing on the second hardest difficulty level since there didn't really seem to be a 'default' (I usually play games on normal difficulty). The environment art is a bit grainy, which is my only real complaint. One of the best indie RPGs I've played so far, I just finished the concert at the bar.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #32712 on: February 18, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »
Finally got the sword so, I guess, "the real ICO starts here".

Lol

Ico is not the game you think it’s going to be.

Svejk

« Reply #32713 on: February 18, 2019, 01:51:33 PM »

Terrific game but :doge at having *only* 3 real bosses: Medusa, Cyclops and Minotaur. Last two bosses are a joke - do not count.

Minotaur alone was worth it, though. Such a Souls-like boss and his lair.
Which is making wonder, after I defeat Medusa... is there really any point on continuing to track down the cult?  I may call it quits after Medusa, cuz this game is burning me out.  It's fun, but damn... I got other games I need to get to.  :-\

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32714 on: February 18, 2019, 04:50:22 PM »
Up to the 5th B-Side in Celeste. These aren't really that fun.... the 3rd one was the worst as it was the worst stage in the main game (stupid moving ghost blobs). Gotta max this game out though for the steez

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #32715 on: February 18, 2019, 10:26:57 PM »
Pushed a bit further in DmC. Game is sweet and I keep getting more abilities and weapons when I think “that’s gotta be it”

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #32716 on: February 18, 2019, 11:01:15 PM »
after ico plz play Last Guardian. controls and camera are pure garbage but the game will have you emotional as shit. two thumbs up.
pcp

kingv

« Reply #32717 on: February 18, 2019, 11:46:16 PM »
I gave up on last guardian. Fuck that dog thing. It’s worse than my real dogs.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #32718 on: February 19, 2019, 10:11:04 AM »
:maf
pcp

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32719 on: February 19, 2019, 10:52:14 AM »
I gave up on last guardian. Fuck that dog thing. It’s worse than my real dogs.
Trico>Yorda.

As far as brain goes, anyway.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32720 on: February 19, 2019, 12:22:22 PM »
thank fuck they somewhat fixed the controls in SotC now at least in the remake. Not completely, but enough for me to finally love it too.

« Reply #32721 on: February 19, 2019, 10:13:32 PM »
So just started playing Celeste today and this feels like another one of these Meatboy/N+/vvvvvv type of games that I dislike. The B side shit specially reminds of vvvvvv with all the fucking spikes. Only less good tbh.

I really should take more time to research games before buying into the hype. Lately I've had way more many miss than hits when it comes to buying games I like...

Bebpo

« Reply #32722 on: February 19, 2019, 11:45:50 PM »
Yeah, Celeste is exactly the same genre as SMB, N++, vvvvv. If that’s not your thing, it won’t be your thing.

Bebpo

« Reply #32723 on: February 20, 2019, 03:14:39 AM »
Got my Donkey Kong Country Returns 3ds in the mail and played a few stages. While 30fps sucks and feels a little bit like slow motion-y, the non-motion controls are SO MUCH BETTER IT IS NOT EVEN FUNNY. Having just played the first few levels again on Wii over the weekend and now on 3ds I'm glad I picked up the 3ds version. Will finally play through this before I get to Tropical Freeze.

Also got my 8bitdo bluetooth SNES controller classic and man the SNES classic hacked is so much nicer now with this. Anyhow played more Yoshi's Island and the more I play the game, the more I appreciate it for its time and everything new and groundbreaking it was doing and the more I don't really like playing it. I googled around and read some more modern re-reviews of YI and I thought this covers everything pretty well:

https://medium.com/@lonelyrollingstar/yoshis-island-is-a-great-game-with-one-terrible-mechanic-7bebd9cfdab4

Also going by that about Jeff Gerstmamn thinks Yoshi's Island is simply a bad game. Interesting.

I kinda feel like I should wait until I beat YI, and despite the chaos it will do to my blood pressure I do plan on sticking with YI and beating it (and maybe Wooly World) before Crafted World is out, before pros/cons but at this point to me YI is like:

+Has catchy jazzy music
+Has a neat art style
+Is often non-linear and about exploring levels and going in doors and up and down instead of just left to right
+Every level feels unique
+Introduced a focus on hard to reach collectibles
+Has good boss fights
+Egg mechanic is good and some good puzzle elements

-Introduced A LOT of trial/error bullshit on collectibles because you have 2 seconds to do something or a bunch of things perfect or replay the whole stage
-Controls don't feel as good as Mario imo. Yoshi feels laggy/floaty, ground pound doesn't feel consistent, platforming is less fun than Mario games.
-Baby mechanic isn't bad on its own as a regen life timer but the sheer amount of bullshit in some parts and then the baby goes flying off where you can't fucking reach him is annoying AF
-Stages are ungodly long because you're meant to be going slow exploring every nook and cranny. A YI stage can last 15-20 minutes (also only 1 checkpoint usually and collectibles don't keep when you die; have to do a perfect run), whereas I went back and played some Mario 3 and damn in the first world those stages are like 1-2 mins.

Basically it's a very long, slow game, with a bunch of bullshit everywhere and trial & error and ubisoft collectible nook & cranny hunting with kinda bad controls,
but it's also artsy AF and every level is a unique adventure and it's SMB2 off-kilter original and set the ground for collectible non-linear exploration platformers.

Today it kinda reminds me of a better Suda51 kinda game where it's not necessarily fun but it's interesting and worth continuing. I am glad the modern Yoshi games ditched the baby mechanic tho because fuck that baby cry!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #32724 on: February 20, 2019, 07:19:00 AM »
lol the whole thing about the collecting aspect is that it's optional. yeah it has bullshit one-chance items in stages, but the whole thing is for perfectionists only. if you want a faster, breezier, more typical mario game, then all you have to do is walk on past all those extra items and bam there you go.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #32725 on: February 20, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
Yoshi’s Island is Sonic some right.

And it’s still a fantastic game and my favorite 2d platformer of all time.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32726 on: February 20, 2019, 09:26:27 AM »
Also basing any strong game opinion off of what Gerstmann thinks makes no sense to me. Jeff is great but he’s also very particular.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32727 on: February 20, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
Finally the following quote:

-Stages are ungodly long because you're meant to be going slow exploring every nook and cranny. A YI stage can last 15-20 minutes (also only 1 checkpoint usually and collectibles don't keep when you die; have to do a perfect run), whereas I went back and played some Mario 3 and damn in the first world those stages are like 1-2 mins.

Isn’t in Mario 3’s favor. YI has considerably less courses than Mario 3. Mario 3’s stages can be beaten in a damn minute and half of it is just skipping it with the tanuki suit. How is this a good game? Most of Mario 3 is bloated. And going through the entire game without warping is tedious as fuck. Try it. Try to beat Mario 3 without warping. It’s far more long and tedious than YI ever will be because Mario 3 has insane difficulty spikes and if you die without beating a castle you have to start a section over again entirely. YI has longer courses but less over all. It’s far more lean. There is no warping in YI and this makes every course count.

Something to consider when comparing them.

Again, try it. Play Mario 3 without warping. See how insane it gets.
IYKYK

Fifstar

« Reply #32728 on: February 20, 2019, 09:32:37 AM »
I collected all stuff in the main levels  twice when I was young and I never really felt the game was mainly about collecting stuff. The levels are so original and full of cool stuff that I just wanted to play them over and over again.

I'd just beat the game and then 100% the individual levels if you feel like it. Tip: if you beat world 3 100% (or 4, I don't remember for sure) you get instant access to the memory bonus game. It's really easy that way to get the looking glass for spotting red coins and the +10/+20 stars so you don't have to worry about getting hit in the last second of the game.

I disagree bout the controls, I actually feel that just making a platform with the last extra floats feels really good (and you get a good feeling for it after a while) just as the platforming itself.
Gulp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32729 on: February 20, 2019, 10:44:50 AM »
Finally the following quote:

Isn’t in Mario 3’s favor. YI has considerably less courses than Mario 3. Mario 3’s stages can be beaten in a damn minute and half of it is just skipping it with the tanuki suit. How is this a good game? Most of Mario 3 is bloated. And going through the entire game without warping is tedious as fuck. Try it. Try to beat Mario 3 without warping. It’s far more long and tedious than YI ever will be because Mario 3 has insane difficulty spikes and if you die without beating a castle you have to start a section over again entirely. YI has longer courses but less over all. It’s far more lean. There is no warping in YI and this makes every course count.

Something to consider when comparing them.

Again, try it. Play Mario 3 without warping. See how insane it gets.

I did that as a kid numerous times.  I don't think SMB3 is a difficult game at all considering I could beat the game easily when I was like 10 years old.  Doesn't feel bloated and is made in such a way that you can choose to play all those stages or skip stuff if you want to, just like the other Marios.
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32730 on: February 20, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »
Git gud scrub.

I used to beat Mario 3 once a day. Have done no power-up runs of the game. Also did a walking challenge where I couldn't use the run button.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32731 on: February 20, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »
If I want to try Yoshi's Island again, should I play it on SNES or is GBA OK?  IIRC GBA has some extra levels, but people said that the screen cuts off too much due to being a bit zoomed in?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32732 on: February 20, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »
Git gud scrub.

I used to beat Mario 3 once a day. Have done no power-up runs of the game. Also did a walking challenge where I couldn't use the run button.

Yeah, that's another thing- you can essentially use or not use power-ups to decrease or increase the difficulty. 

I like that with NSMB U Deluxe, the game is also more difficult depending on your character choice.  Kind of like SMB2 but I never thought anyone in that game was necessarily easier or harder to use than the others since they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, whereas in NSMB U Toadette is clearly easier to use than the others and has better abilities...and Nabbit is like straight cheating.  :doge
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #32733 on: February 20, 2019, 11:09:35 AM »
I always found SMB3 really hard without warp. Doesn’t help I didn’t grow up owning an nes. Would love suggestions to git gud in it. I tried to do a no p wing, no items, no warp run the other year on my 3ds and Jesus Christ :brazilcry
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32734 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:19 AM »
The bonus levels of GBA version arent worth caring about. Just play on SNES
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #32735 on: February 20, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
I don’t even remember where the warps are in smb3. It’s still a really good excellent playing game.

Also yeah I read YI is considerably less pain the ass if you use items. I keep forgetting to use any. Should try.
Also the problem with ignore collectibles is so far I don’t think it’s a particularly great platformer without them and there’s a lot of slow exploration bits. For the controls it might the emulation but they just don’t feel tight to me.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32736 on: February 20, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »
lol the whole thing about the collecting aspect is that it's optional. yeah it has bullshit one-chance items in stages, but the whole thing is for perfectionists only. if you want a faster, breezier, more typical mario game, then all you have to do is walk on past all those extra items and bam there you go.

This is why the game is really boring. For the sake of being a collectathon, the actual platforming isn't nearly as refined as real Mario. Yet the collectibles are worthless, making the entire thing redundant. Biggest case of style over substance at Nintendo alongside Wind Waker.

kingv

« Reply #32737 on: February 20, 2019, 01:25:35 PM »
I feel like SMB3 was a game truly ahead of its time.

It just holds up so well today that it’s really remarkable. Especially when you consider the hardware it was running on or how much better it is than Super Mario Bros.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32738 on: February 20, 2019, 01:38:57 PM »
It sucked when on NES you couldn't save it, but any port with save states makes SMB3 near perfect. I never get the whistles, but they wouldn't help anyway, since I only feel that the last world's difficulty increase is too drastic. The short levels are probably a result of the hardware, but because of that it's constantly going forward with new things. Only 3D Land did something similar and it's also very good.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:45:39 PM by Spieler1 »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32739 on: February 20, 2019, 02:08:37 PM »
I don’t even remember where the warps are in smb3.

Level 1-3 you sit down on the white block and you fall behind the level. Then you get the other one in the first fortress by flying up in the open area with the podobos.

Skip to the final world by using the two warp whistles. Congrats, you now got no powerups in the hardest levels.

Himu

« Reply #32740 on: February 20, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »
hardcore retro help me get good at mario 3.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32741 on: February 20, 2019, 02:43:46 PM »
The only one that can help you is you. It's just about training.

With the 3DS version it should be even easier since you can just create a savefile at whatever choke point you got.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #32742 on: February 20, 2019, 02:50:45 PM »

This is why the game is really boring. For the sake of being a collectathon, the actual platforming isn't nearly as refined as real Mario. Yet the collectibles are worthless, making the entire thing redundant. Biggest case of style over substance at Nintendo alongside Wind Waker.

practicing my deep breathing techniques
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #32743 on: February 20, 2019, 02:53:51 PM »

practicing my deep breathing techniques

:lol

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32744 on: February 20, 2019, 04:37:18 PM »
completed 7/8 B-Sides in Celeste now. Some of them were pretty good - chapter 7 was really fun as the difficulty was a bit more gentle (as to not be frustrating).

Some of the remixed music is great too:

I really liked the trance mix of chapter 7:

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32745 on: February 20, 2019, 11:19:13 PM »
If I want to try Yoshi's Island again, should I play it on SNES or is GBA OK?  IIRC GBA has some extra levels, but people said that the screen cuts off too much due to being a bit zoomed in?
It's the most altered of those games by the screen resolution difference, IIRC, it's not zoomed in it's just cropped. The others had space the UI used that the GBA versions just made into a transparent overlay but I think it already was that way?

I can't remember what the controls are now, but I remember not liking the missing two buttons from the SNES. Something that was on X or Y I preferred having it there.

benjipwns

« Reply #32746 on: February 20, 2019, 11:23:05 PM »
I feel like SMB3 was a game truly ahead of its time.

It just holds up so well today that it’s really remarkable. Especially when you consider the hardware it was running on or how much better it is than Super Mario Bros.
It some ways it's not running on the same hardware, SMB3 uses a MMC3 chip inside the cartridge. Almost all the scrolling in it isn't possible on a raw NES. Nor are the sprites.

It's not quite to the level of Super FX games (which run on the Super FX chip in the cartridge, not the SNES CPU) but is close.

kingv

« Reply #32747 on: February 21, 2019, 01:06:53 AM »
Huh, I didn’t realize that... nor did I realize the super fx essentially took over for the snes cpu.

Did SFX still use other pieces of the sneed hardware?

benjipwns

« Reply #32748 on: February 21, 2019, 01:43:08 AM »
Yeah, you use everything there always. The Super FX games still used the SNES CPU for example (you probably cannot completely ignore the main CPU even if you wanted to) but the FX was so much faster you used it whenever you could. Something like Star Fox did all the main stuff on the FX and only sound and stuff on the others. Something like Yoshi's Island might be more split evenly between everything available.

benjipwns

« Reply #32749 on: February 21, 2019, 02:52:12 AM »
Just for infomation, the SNES main CPU runs at between 1.8 MHz and 3.6 MHz, usually in the latter speed when doing most game functions once people figured out how to stop it stepping down, and does something like 1.5 MIPS in benchmarks.

The Super FX runs at 10.7 MHz and the Super FX 2 runs at 21.5 MHz. I don't know about the original, but FX2 can do around 20 MIPS, I'd just assume about half since the real changes were entirely in the clock speed, otherwise FX2 just binned better. The main change that wouldn't effect this is that the FX could only address a max 1MB of ROM, or 8 megs as we used to call them. Vortex is only 4 megs. The FX2 can do 2MB or 16 megs. I believe that it can go up to 4MB or 32 megs, which were the largest SNES games.

Of course, not all MIPS are equal and the instruction sets were different though the FX tried to replicate as many of the base ones as possible to avoid having to hit the SNES CPU.

The one issue with the FX chips was that for the main SNES CPU to read off of it, it had to halt and give the SNES CPU time to read it. That's the main reason the framerates are so bad, they were timed so that the game didn't have to halt. There are however YouTubes out there of people overclocking the FX's to run at like 66 MHz and Star Fox will fly by until it overloads the SNES CPU and has to pause.

Star Fox, Stun Race, Vortex and Dirt Trax are all first gen FX, DOOM and Yoshi's Island used Super FX 2, there may be one or two I'm forgetting for each. Stuff that never came out like Star Fox 2 and FX Fighter were running on the FX2.

One reason I assume Yoshi's Island is based more around the SNES CPU in its design is that it doesn't have framerate issues, so the SNES CPU must have been leading. IIRC, the FX2 wasn't necessary for the game but it was the better overall solution for a bunch of the rotating, distortions and stuff the game does versus using some of the other pre-existing chips. The GBA version for example doesn't use an FX chip, just runs the equivalent maths on the main CPU. SNES would have been way too slow to do that, so it probably shunts those off to the FX2, then gets them back within a small number of cycles and outputs immediately. (Which arguably is a "more modern" form of programming. Miyamoto has said that doing prototypes with the FX helped them understand how the N64 worked with its CPU/GPU setup when doing Mario 64.)

To make this into one more oddity thing. The Super NES CD-ROM was going to be dependent on the Super FX because the SNES CPU was way too slow to do anything. They were going to stick it in the mandatory cartridge and address straight to it. For comparison, Sega put in a whole second CPU and the Genesis' CPU is generally ignored for the Sega CD even though it's identical yet clocked lower. It probably didn't cost huge amounts but it certainly would have been more expensive than using a chip that cost Nintendo $10 to manufacture.

standard benji disclaimers of me remembering this off the top of my head and only looking up like one thing (FX clock speeds, thought it was 12 and 25) so other specifics could be wrong

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32750 on: February 21, 2019, 06:21:05 AM »
beat Never Alone as it was a Xbox games with gold freebie (pretty sure all the games I play are lol).

Pretty unexciting gameplay wise, but the concept was cool. I enjoyed the folk-tale and mini documentaries about the indigenous Alaskan culture. A cool interactive cultural concept but it's a shame the game was kinda lame. Not bad though and eaaaasy gamerscore

Fifstar

« Reply #32751 on: February 21, 2019, 09:01:34 AM »
IIRC, the FX2 wasn't necessary for the game but it was the better overall solution for a bunch of the rotating, distortions and stuff the game does versus using some of the other pre-existing chips.

Yeah, I remember reading this in magazines as well. Seems like it is mainly used for the bossfights and other bigger effects, not during the normal gameplay.
Gulp

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32752 on: February 21, 2019, 04:42:23 PM »
decided to say fuck it and check out the Never Alone DLC as I wanted to throw the devs a couple of bucks. Actually way better than the main game - nicer graphics and more interesting gameplay involving paddling a canoe and swimming. Pretty sweet

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32753 on: February 22, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »
Calling it "ICO 2" is already a bad start. They aren't really a "trilogy"
fat

Himu

« Reply #32754 on: February 22, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
It’s also not true you can only save after beating a giant. There are save points.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32755 on: February 22, 2019, 11:53:41 AM »
Yeah there’s these save towers in the field with a door I think. It’s been a long time. Look on YouTube for footage.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32756 on: February 22, 2019, 11:55:02 AM »
lol never going back from the ps4 version. still has annoyances, but it was far more playable for me.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32757 on: February 22, 2019, 11:58:54 AM »
You can just pray at the shrines in the field for a save. Game is only like 4 hours long though, so why even bother.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32758 on: February 22, 2019, 12:22:16 PM »
lol never going back from the ps4 version. still has annoyances, but it was far more playable for me.

There's a PS4 version?!?

Sony sold this game 3 times (PS2, PS3, PS4)?!?

:lol

Gotta respect the hustle! :salute

4 has remade graphics, way more lenient grabbing mechanics and a normal button layout. Also I saw it for like 15 bucks a few months after release - otherwise I wouldn't have tried it again after the PS3 port's controls were so bad.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32759 on: February 22, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
Square put FFX on all three of those systems, plus Vita.
©@©™