Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3600999 times)

Himu

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32820 on: March 02, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
What do you have against 8 bit?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32821 on: March 02, 2019, 06:27:59 PM »

As someone who never replays old games and has never been into retro gaming (I grew up on colecovision/atari/dos/nes, etc... but I have zero love and interest in replaying pre-16 bit gaming), this latest string of games I'm playing is finally getting me into retro gaming. I may end up replaying a lot of ps1/ps2/n64/gc/saturn/dc-era stuff in the coming years...

Late to the party, retro has only been going up lately. But no problem with that big lawyer money
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #32822 on: March 02, 2019, 11:53:21 PM »
AC Origins is way too fucking big and long. After getting to Krokodilopolis in Faiyum Oasis I was getting so burnt out on the settlement/city after settlement/city and their quests that I put the game on pause and went and explored the rest of the map clearing out the fog of war and doing every tower synch point to see what's left out there. And there is a lot left out there! Like when I got to Cyrene in the top left corner I was like wait wtf, there's another huge ass city even bigger than Alexandria???

My main issue with the bloat in Origins is that unlike HD town are hard FF13, Origins has a toooon of settlements and cities but...they're all kinda the same. There's like 2-3 types of settlements and then the big cities and at the end of the day in the smaller settlements there's like this whole town and nothing to do there besides pick up a quest or two and then leave. Just feels like too much repetition. Origins is good and fun but the gameplay's pretty shallow and there's just not enough there to justify the massive size of the game map and amount of quests/areas. When I get back to RDR2 one thing I'm looking forward to is RDR2 giving each town/settlement more uniqueness to them.

To me Origins is the first AC that feels like a Bethesda game like Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout. It's a huge map but a lot of it is just the same stuff and everything is spread apart.
I still like Origins, but yeah the issue is when the game outstays its welcome it's like I could be playing better games with my time.

The other thing is I don't understand why Odyssey exists. Origins has GIANT GREEK/ROMAN CITIES and country side and ocean and etc... plus Egyptian cities and pyramids and tomb raiding (which unfortunately sucks because every tomb plays out like the exact same and the puzzles are reaaaaally lame. Such a step down from AC2's platforming puzzles for tombs). Like you look at Unity and Syndicate and while they're similar the setting's are totally different. French Revolution Paris is nothing like Victorian era London. But like without having played Odyssey, it seems like Greece would be pretty damn similar in setting to the Greek/Roman portions of Origins. So like why would I want to do another 60-80 hour run of this game again without even being a vastly different and unique setting? Just seems odd to me and at this point I'm in the camp that I'm going to skip Odyssey like I skipped Rogue and move on to the next game they announce after Origins + Origins DLC.

What do you have against 8 bit?

I just don't enjoy 8-bit games in the modern day. Even stuff in the modern day with 8-bit aesthetic like MM9 or vvvvv still play more modern than games of the time.

More power to retro gaming people that enjoy 8-bit and earlier stuff.

As someone who never replays old games and has never been into retro gaming (I grew up on colecovision/atari/dos/nes, etc... but I have zero love and interest in replaying pre-16 bit gaming), this latest string of games I'm playing is finally getting me into retro gaming. I may end up replaying a lot of ps1/ps2/n64/gc/saturn/dc-era stuff in the coming years...

Late to the party, retro has only been going up lately. But no problem with that big lawyer money

Who said anything about buying retro games  ;) I'm talking about replaying games I already own. Even stuff that I haven't played like Snatcher or Policenauts I have sitting around in my backlog.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32823 on: March 03, 2019, 12:48:28 AM »
Gave The Banner Saga 2 a go as it was sitting in my Games with Gold pile. Pretty sweet game - amazing art. This Rugga guy seems like a piece of work though.

I read a couple of beginners' primers to actually understand what was going on with the combat - seems straightforward enough but I'm real anal about losing units. I'm guessing in some of the harder fights a guy will have to eat it or something. Magic users seem to be OP

Bebpo

« Reply #32824 on: March 03, 2019, 01:17:30 AM »
Gave The Banner Saga 2 a go as it was sitting in my Games with Gold pile. Pretty sweet game - amazing art. This Rugga guy seems like a piece of work though.

I read a couple of beginners' primers to actually understand what was going on with the combat - seems straightforward enough but I'm real anal about losing units. I'm guessing in some of the harder fights a guy will have to eat it or something. Magic users seem to be OP

Banner Saga 1 was really good. If you're liking it you might wanna play that first since it's a connected story and your choices carry over.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32825 on: March 03, 2019, 02:27:57 AM »
yeah its $35NZD to download and I cbf waiting for a sale. I'll just play 2 I guess. I watched the re-cap video so I know whats going on story-wise. Theres some bad golem dudes and youre fighting them and trying to survive or something. Don't really care, just want to engage in some tactical battles lol

« Reply #32826 on: March 03, 2019, 03:32:19 AM »
So finally finished the first playthrough of Ys Origin. After spending an hour or so on that shitty ass centipede boss, the rest of the game was much more manageable on Normal. Not a bad game all said and done, I would still describe it as average yet it's the type of game I can enjoy putting hours into. The game could have done with some collectible or hidden items here and there though. It's very rare that I can find everything on my first playthrough without even looking.

Bebpo

« Reply #32827 on: March 03, 2019, 10:40:32 PM »
Yoshi's Island 3-5? Froggy boss where you punch his tonsils until he shits you out his butt

Touch Fuzzy get Dizzy acid trip stage still the best stage so far. I appreciate that YI DGAF.

Bebpo

« Reply #32828 on: March 04, 2019, 01:54:26 AM »
I'm finally trying Dirt Rally 1 and uh, this game is way too hardcore for me lol
I liked Dirt 1/2, 3 was ok but needed more rally stages. Loved Rallisport challenge 2 and Sega Rally and stuff. Normally do fine in racing games on normal difficulty.

But like here you start with enough money to buy one shitty old car (like GT, cool), but then all the entry championships...even if I run perfect race with no crashes I'm getting last place (or maybe like 14th out of 16th) and end up with 0 money so I can't progress at all. Like the AI here and times feel like they're tuned for Dirt 1/2/3 on hard or extra hard difficulty. What about the people who play games on normal but want the more sim physics experience? I like the idea of more sim rally game, but the AI level and times seem way too hardcore for me to even get started.

I just think it's kinda lame that Dirt Rally has zero difficulty level selection. There's a wide gap of skill levels in people who play racing games, that's why difficulty levels exist...

Guess I'll skip picking up Dirt Rally 2 and just grab Dirt 4 when it's cheap one of these days.

*edit* Don't even get me started on how each of the different gameplay types requires different cars (Rally, Hillclimb, Rallycross) so once you buy one you're locked out of the other two until you make enough money to buy another car and enter them (and hillclimb cars start at like 250,000 credits).

*edit* looked around and found this piece of info in a reddit thread:

"FYI the reason you cant win is because you're car hasnt got any upgrades yet. The CPU drivers always have maxed out cars, so you'd be expected to lose most of the races until you get some upgrades"

So buy picking Rallycross as my starter I fuck myself because I can't win without upgrading and can't get any money to upgrade! I guess I'll restart and do Rally events first and see if I can make some money and upgrade the cars.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:10:45 AM by Bebpo »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32829 on: March 04, 2019, 02:03:27 AM »
Finally got the 1000/1000 in Celeste - I was so done with the game by the end :lol

Better just battle through Adventure Time now for some easier gameplay

Himu

« Reply #32830 on: March 04, 2019, 02:13:12 AM »
I'm finally trying Dirt Rally 1 and uh, this game is way too hardcore for me lol
I liked Dirt 1/2, 3 was ok but needed more rally stages. Loved Rallisport challenge 2 and Sega Rally and stuff. Normally do fine in racing games on normal difficulty.

But like here you start with enough money to buy one shitty old car (like GT, cool), but then all the entry championships...even if I run perfect race with no crashes I'm getting last place (or maybe like 14th out of 16th) and end up with 0 money so I can't progress at all. Like the AI here and times feel like they're tuned for Dirt 1/2/3 on hard or extra hard difficulty. What about the people who play games on normal but want the more sim physics experience? I like the idea of more sim rally game, but the AI level and times seem way too hardcore for me to even get started.

I just think it's kinda lame that Dirt Rally has zero difficulty level selection. There's a wide gap of skill levels in people who play racing games, that's why difficulty levels exist...

Guess I'll skip picking up Dirt Rally 2 and just grab Dirt 4 when it's cheap one of these days.

*edit* Don't even get me started on how each of the different gameplay types requires different cars (Rally, Hillclimb, Rallycross) so once you buy one you're locked out of the other two until you make enough money to buy another car and enter them (and hillclimb cars start at like 250,000 credits).

*edit* looked around and found this piece of info in a reddit thread:

"FYI the reason you cant win is because you're car hasnt got any upgrades yet. The CPU drivers always have maxed out cars, so you'd be expected to lose most of the races until you get some upgrades"

So buy picking Rallycross as my starter I fuck myself because I can't win without upgrading and can't get any money to upgrade! I guess I'll restart and do Rally events first and see if I can make some money and upgrade the cars.

Dirt Rally has been on my list for years. Been wanting a good new rally game, just haven't gotten to it.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #32831 on: March 04, 2019, 02:20:15 AM »
Ok, regular rally is way easier. I flew off a cliff 3 times on my first track and lost about a minute because of it and still placed 4th out of 16.

*edit* ok, yeah finished a rally championship, made some money even with repairs. Guess I just started off wrong going for rallycross first. I thought I'd make some money there since it's traditional track racing and no cliffs to fly off. Rally is pretty fun, looks really pretty and controls pretty slippery with all assists off but getting the hang of it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:50:08 AM by Bebpo »

Svejk

« Reply #32832 on: March 04, 2019, 08:14:05 AM »
Those Championships get longer and tougher.  Especially the Greek stages.. one little rock on a hairpin will fuck your radiator.   That's when I start yelling at the screen, "You didn't say 'don't cut' that time, you sumbitch!!!"

paprikastaude

« Reply #32833 on: March 04, 2019, 09:00:38 AM »
I spent some minutes with my old file of Pokemon Y. Recently a walkthrough of that fan favorite Heart Gold was a middling experience for me at best. Now I saw manbabies on reee fighting over which of their Pokemanz is the best and them bashing Y. Yet I remembered that it was the only one that felt at least marginally different from the Gameboy game because of its Souls-lite online mode. But now that I checked it out again, it's just way better than the DS games in general even beyond online. Even with animations on, fights are significantly quicker than in the old games. And in the few minutes I roamed the map, there was more good music than in the entirety of Gold.

« Reply #32834 on: March 04, 2019, 09:33:20 AM »
Finished the second play through of Ys Origin with Hugo. Much, much easier than with Yunica. Already started again with Toal but I think I'm getting some burn out, don't think I can continue it much more. At least my finger can't continue with the constant tapping of square button for much longer anyway. Was thinking of maybe platinuming it, but that requires at least 4 more play throughs which I doubt I can stomach...

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #32835 on: March 04, 2019, 05:36:59 PM »
Got some time to get back to breath of the wild. Just avoiding side content and doing mainline stuff. This game would be a hell of a lot better if bosses and the "dungeons" were a little more challenging. Vah Ruta was well designed and I found it's boss quite interesting and fairly difficult (was still on 3 hearts, stamina upgrades only), the other divine beasts have been very meh, unchallenging cakewalks. i generally just activate and leave the shrines now because it's the same shit ad nauseum. Still really enjoying the game and the creativity with which i can approach situations, unfortunate the shrines and divine beast puzzles are a bit of a miss tho imo. Love the build up, but the payoff doesn't follow through.
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32836 on: March 05, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
Borys, haven't played it myself, but have you tried Dex?
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32837 on: March 05, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
Or Douglas Adams Starship Titanic if ur on a adventure game binge

Kinda scifi I guess
What

Bebpo

« Reply #32838 on: March 05, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »
Yeah I liked Primordia very much. Didn’t know the guy retired from game development after that. Bummer.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #32839 on: March 05, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
Or Douglas Adams Starship Titanic if ur on a adventure game binge

Kinda scifi I guess

:lawd

one of my favorites

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32840 on: March 05, 2019, 02:24:53 PM »

No. To me it seemed like a 2D action platformer with no substance (neither 2D Mario, nor Metroidvania) etc. I would likely hear impressions from the folks that played it, though.

It's more like a Flashback-type game, and definitely not shallow. There's some RPG elements and light puzzle-solving, a bit of questing and talking to people. It's a pretty good game, fairly well put together and realized [especially since the creator continued to support it post-release].
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #32841 on: March 05, 2019, 02:59:22 PM »
Yeah I liked Primordia very much. Didn’t know the guy retired from game development after that. Bummer.

Beps, the Gemini Rue guy retired. He wrote the story, dialogues, puzzles, all gameplay (combat system, pathfinding, all mechanics), did all the graphics except the portraits, did all the design for Gemini Rue and then retired. Initially the game was supposed to be freeware and was treated as a University IT Classes demo :o He is like 28-30 now :lol By pure chance he submitted it to Indie Game Festival and got to the finals there :lol That told him the game is pretty good and he should be selling it!

He did some work for NASA afterwards and US Military among other things IIRC.

His favourite sci-fi films are Blade Runner and Cowboy Bebop, books I think Ender Game (?). He also found the new GITS movie (ScarJo) better than the critics told him.

Crazy talented dude.

Primordia is totally other guy (studio) but the same Publisher (Wadjet).

Well still a bummer, Gemini Rue was good too.

Bebpo

« Reply #32842 on: March 06, 2019, 04:21:37 AM »
I kinda see why I wasn’t a huge fan of Majora’s Mask back in the day besides just the low dungeon count. Got to the boss of the first dungeon and ran out of time and didn’t realize I still have to do the whole dungeon again if I rewind time. Yeah having the sub weapon makes it faster but still have to go through all the rooms and fight the mini bosses and get the master key and get back to the boss again. Kinda annoying. The time setup is clever, but it’s also an early gaming era attempt at stretching out content through repetition that we see all the time now when games have lower budgets and still want to be long.

It’s like you need to do an entire dungeon + all 15 hidden fairies and back to the fairy fountain + any post dungeon that’s dependent on the dungeon clear (like the lack of poison swamps) all in one 72 hour cycle which is kinda annoying the first time you don’t know where things are or how to solve puzzles and are taking time figuring them out. Almost feels like it’s worth playing with a walkthrough as you go to make the most out of each time period.

Himu

« Reply #32843 on: March 06, 2019, 10:55:33 AM »
I don’t know how you could have forgotten that. If you run out of time in MM it’s game over. Like Dead Rising or Dragon Quarter. It’s its main conceit. Everything resets. Also generally, no you don’t need to do the whole dungeon over. Usually the dungeon item is a shortcut which lets you skip steps in the dungeon.

1. use inverse song of time. Play song of time backwards to slow down time.

2. A Zelda expert should be able to unlock the dungeon, beat it, within 72 hours. Besides Stone Temple and maybe Great Bay. If it’s your first time use the temple song as a landmark. Unlock dungeon, learn dungeon song. Use song of time to revert to day 1 to reset time. Play inverse song. Use song of soaring to teleport. Start the dungeon fresh.

Anyways, yeah Majora’s Mask isn’t a good game. A lot of it is stretched out content. I replayed it last year and was disappointed on my replay.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:59:49 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

« Reply #32844 on: March 06, 2019, 11:23:16 AM »
I had bought Dissidia NT for $5 off Gamefly last year but never bothered to play it until yesterday.

Numbers upon numbers with gaudy ass pachinko UI elements.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #32845 on: March 06, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »
I don’t know how you could have forgotten that. If you run out of time in MM it’s game over. Like Dead Rising or Dragon Quarter. It’s its main conceit. Everything resets. Also generally, no you don’t need to do the whole dungeon over. Usually the dungeon item is a shortcut which lets you skip steps in the dungeon.

1. use inverse song of time. Play song of time backwards to slow down time.

2. A Zelda expert should be able to unlock the dungeon, beat it, within 72 hours. Besides Stone Temple and maybe Great Bay. If it’s your first time use the temple song as a landmark. Unlock dungeon, learn dungeon song. Use song of time to revert to day 1 to reset time. Play inverse song. Use song of soaring to teleport. Start the dungeon fresh.

Anyways, yeah Majora’s Mask isn’t a good game. A lot of it is stretched out content. I replayed it last year and was disappointed on my replay.

Slowing down time will be helpful, thanks! I feel like it moves pretty fast.

I'm definitely not a zelda expert haha, I'm ok but I take my time, especially with the hidden fairies and try to explore all the rooms. I found out about the warps directly to the boss after you've beat them. It sucks having to fight them again to trigger the change (the draining of the poison in the deku area for collecting hidden stuff after), but at least that's all you have to do.

One thing that I'm noticing is since you're always back at 0 for items, sometimes I get to stuff without the necessary items. Like I went to the gold spider house last night and I didn't have any magic beans I and I couldn't get some of the spiders without them. Even when I re-did the deku boss because I jumped straight to it I had zero arrows (which is fine because I had deku bombs and that's all you need). I definitely feel like there's going to be a good amount of trial and error in this game where you're like "oh I need x/y/z" and then you rewind time, gather your items, get to the point and do what you gotta do.

Also what's up with all the races. I did the butler one for the pig mask and beat it but it went on and on and I didn't find it fun. The monkey one at the start was fine but is this going to be a mechanic throughout the whole game? I guess the theme of it all is feeling RUSHED everywhere you go. Which as a slow player that takes his time and is easily stressed, I don't like that style.

Still seems like a good/great game, and I mean I beat it back in the day but everyone always said it's like THE BEST ZELDA EVER and I never remembered it being like that and I'm starting to refresh why.

I might play Ocarina of Time 3D after this since I don't remember OoT at all either because I haven't played it since 1998. I wonder if I'll like that better.

Himu

« Reply #32846 on: March 06, 2019, 01:23:06 PM »
There is no monkey race. You just have to follow the monkey or you'll get lost in the woods. It's a follow up on the OoT forest where you'll get lost. The monkey is just a guide.

The Deku Butler race is a retake on the Dampe race in OoT.

And yes, there's moments where you'll have to get your minimal items all over again. All it takes is putting on Goron mask and rolling around Termina field, but still it's the principle of it: it's busy work and dead time. It didn't used to bother me but now I hate it - getting basic ass items.

OoT is still amazing.

Majora's Mask being BEST ZELDA EVER!!! stuff has made an underrated game into an overrated game. It's not as bad as people say but few people replay it often. It's mostly seen the way it is for its story telling, but even that, upon replay isn't that great. It's good for Zelda standards and for its time but that's about it.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32847 on: March 06, 2019, 02:47:51 PM »
I had bought Dissidia NT for $5 off Gamefly last year but never bothered to play it until yesterday.

(Image removed from quote.)

yeah dissidia is like, ultra shit fanservice. but it gave us this dope cinematic though

fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32848 on: March 06, 2019, 04:42:44 PM »

No. To me it seemed like a 2D action platformer with no substance (neither 2D Mario, nor Metroidvania) etc. I would likely hear impressions from the folks that played it, though.

ど助平

« Reply #32849 on: March 06, 2019, 05:32:11 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

yeah dissidia is like, ultra shit fanservice. but it gave us this dope cinematic though

I heard the story mode is full of cool fan service stuff but looks like I've gotta play a bunch of the other modes to access it.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #32850 on: March 06, 2019, 05:52:39 PM »
There are MMO level locked gates you have to grind to progress the short story.

I played it for a few days, but game sucks. I really liked the old Dissidia games but this was entirely a misstep. Gundam Versus is way better.

« Reply #32851 on: March 06, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »
There are MMO level locked gates you have to grind to progress the short story.

I played it for a few days, but game sucks. I really liked the old Dissidia games but this was entirely a misstep. Gundam Versus is way better.

Yeah, the old Dissidia games, while also a bit convoluted, were fun. I did the tutorials and get what I'm supposed to do to win, but I still feel like I really have no idea what's going on.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32852 on: March 06, 2019, 09:04:25 PM »
I finished Tokyo Xanadu, and I enjoyed it - dont care about the eX content from PS4, but you have to follow up a Falcom game with more Falcom, so up next is Ys 8 (on Vita of course)

I love the "open world" song - at least the one that plays right now. Captures that "explore the world freely" spirit. IDK, I just want to run around and slice up motherfuckers.

Falcom music is so god like

fat

Bebpo

« Reply #32853 on: March 06, 2019, 09:18:55 PM »
It had a good ending like the Kiseki games. Definitely made me want a fleshed out sequel at some point.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32854 on: March 06, 2019, 09:27:01 PM »
Tokyo Xanadu? Ending was ok, pretty standard. "True Ending" was a cop-out as per JRPG rules.

They kept throwing out random shit like the Kiseki games usually do, thinking they will somehow "build a world" around it but they really go nowhere with it, unlike Kiseki.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #32855 on: March 06, 2019, 09:28:18 PM »
That's because it's the first game...

Kiseki throws a lot of bs out like you say but then builds around it in sequels. I expect the same in TX. And yeah I liked the True Ending.

Bebpo

« Reply #32856 on: March 06, 2019, 09:29:43 PM »
Hopefully what Falcom does is drop the school shit for the next Kiseki series after Cold Steel but then keep TX running as their school sim series. That way it doesn't bog down the next Kiseki arc but they can still make fun school sim games if they want.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32857 on: March 06, 2019, 09:30:08 PM »
I don't think there needs to be a second Xanadu, I don't think the world is as interesting as Kiseki's

Where would it take place, since it takes place in IRL locations - Europe? Lol

EUROPEAN XANADU
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #32858 on: March 06, 2019, 09:31:34 PM »
I would play EUROPEAN XANADU

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32859 on: March 06, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »
Falcom could walk up and shit on my face and I would enjoy it as long as it had rock music playing in the background
fat

Freyj

« Reply #32860 on: March 06, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
Make another Xanadu Next cowards

Bebpo

« Reply #32861 on: March 06, 2019, 10:35:20 PM »
Falcom could walk up and shit on my face and I would enjoy it as long as it had rock music playing in the background

But the music in CS4 kinda sucks  :'(

Himu

« Reply #32862 on: March 06, 2019, 11:03:49 PM »
Making Xanadu animu :(
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #32863 on: March 06, 2019, 11:24:08 PM »
I'm gonna be a hater here, finally tried Into the Breach by the FTL team. First 30 mins was omg this is so awesome! A real mecha srpg! Unlocked skills and equipment parts, exciting!

A couple hours later...almost every map plays out the same, strategies even with different parts don't play that different, islands are pretty much the same (swap fire panels with earthquake panels with tsunami panels), runs are 1-2 hours long and one mistake and gotta start all over. Nothing carries over outside one pilot which doesn't make much of a difference. Overall kinda boring :( I liked FTL better.

« Reply #32864 on: March 07, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
Playing PS4 Ratchet and Clank and while it looks nice, so far it seems overall to be weaker than the PS3 games. The writing specially doesn't seem to be as good. Maybe I've got my nostalgia goggles on and misremembering, but with ACiT having a bit of a cell shaded look to it the next gen graphic bumps aren't even that impressive so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #32865 on: March 07, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »
Finished the Faiyum area in AC Origins and moving back north to Cleopatra meeting. Faiyum's storyline with The Crocodile was pretty good! I really liked the ally family and the kid storyline and the arena part was real good and the assassination mission and aftermatch missions at the farm. Felt nicely fleshed out. This and the story of the Snake at the dead city they're digging out of the sand are the best parts so far. Also the arena helped me like the combat more. Using a heavy weapon like axe is pretty satisfying with charge moves -> overkills. Definitely better combat than the previous AC games although the stealth is still kinda so-so and messy.

So like who are the enemies in Odyssey? Because in Origins you generally just kill evil corrupt imperialist romans. So in Odyssey are you like killing the Persian army or something? (my knowledge of greek history is pretty bad and I am going by 300).

Also in Origins once I hit level cap at 40 (I'm 36 now), would it makes sense to buy the DLC to open up the level cap so the rest of the quests I do keep leveling me. Or will going into the DLCs at 55 just kinda break them so it's better to level as the DLCs go?

Playing PS4 Ratchet and Clank and while it looks nice, so far it seems overall to be weaker than the PS3 games. The writing specially doesn't seem to be as good. Maybe I've got my nostalgia goggles on and misremembering, but with ACiT having a bit of a cell shaded look to it the next gen graphic bumps aren't even that impressive so far.

All the R&C games from PS3 on kinda blur together for me. They're all just sorta ok-but-fun popcorn entertainment. The PS4 was budget price and a little shorter IIRC since it was a remake of the first game. I still haven't played R&C2 & 3. The only one that felt a little more unique was A Crack in Time because the Clank Puzzles were a sizeable chunk and usually fun.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32866 on: March 07, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
So in Odyssey are you like killing the Persian army or something? (my knowledge of greek history is pretty bad and I am going by 300).
Basic backdrop is Sparta vs Athens, so really you're greek and kill other greeks, and even though your character is Spartan, you can more or less choose sides, because there's the creepy order of cultists you have to kill, which is your real enemy, and sort of unrelated.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32867 on: March 07, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »
Played Adventure Time Pirates of the Enchiridion for like 6 hours yesterday. Pretty great turn based RPG ngl, and its pretty funny too.

I also unlocked like 20 achievements :hump

Easy, short games :bow

Bebpo

« Reply #32868 on: March 07, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32869 on: March 07, 2019, 04:18:32 PM »
Because funnily enough sometimes you don't need a bloated 80 hour massive worldmap with recycled content and 700 collectibles :bow

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32870 on: March 08, 2019, 09:05:51 AM »
Have you played any of Daedalic's adventure games [Deponia, The Dark Eye, A New Beginning]? They aren't the best out there, but their games usually look pretty good.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32871 on: March 08, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »
Skyrim? Yikes arent there better games out there Borys
What

Bebpo

« Reply #32872 on: March 08, 2019, 01:53:35 PM »
Generally I prefer less long games and more short games throughout the year, but the probably is when there's one or two long games you really want to play/enjoy, they eat up all your time. Last year I finished the least amount of games like ever for me in a year because I was playing a few longass 100+ hour games. Trying to avoid that this year. Even AC Origins being long af I should clear with all quests done in ~60 hours.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32873 on: March 08, 2019, 02:59:21 PM »
Im not sure you can consider Skyrim a classic but ok Borys you do your thing man :p

I consider this a classic though

So I'm not sure you can trust me  :doge ( but honestly this game is fun and stupid )

I guess if you mod the f out of Skyrim it's ok
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32874 on: March 08, 2019, 06:57:31 PM »
Mass Effect Andromeda now at 80% and lvl 59

All big (sub)plots have been resolved only some meaningless tasks left that I don't feel like doing and the end game.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #32875 on: March 09, 2019, 04:31:44 AM »

That time in AC Origins when you had that terrible sidequest where you had to lead a giant crocodile back home with the worst AI pathfinding ever.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32876 on: March 09, 2019, 05:29:50 AM »
Well, it is supposed to be a child.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32877 on: March 09, 2019, 05:39:38 AM »
Pretty sure Adventure Time has glitched on me :( Theres a quest later on where you have to plug 3 holes by pushing 3 boxes into water. I may have turned off the game after pushing a box into the water but not waiting 15 seconds for the quest marker to tick up (I was drunk). Have tried exiting the area, restarting the game and everything but the game is still directing me to push a box that isn't there. Gutting! I have tried Googling the problem but no dice, probably some really improbable bug. Unfortunately due to the constant saving system and one save slot I cant roll back or anything. Piss poor software design but I guess they had to crank this out. Boo!

I have the 'Rare Replay' disc for XB1 - this worth firing up? I never played their old UK home computer stuff or Battletoads

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32878 on: March 09, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »
Damn, good point! :bow

I was upset for a bit, but I can play something else. I have REmake ready to rock n roll, got a Wii, Wavebird and game disc at the ready

Svejk

« Reply #32879 on: March 09, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »
Finally got past the volcano area in Monster Boy:whew  Love how the game turns into a shmup after getting the dragon ability!