Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3599468 times)

Svejk

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32760 on: February 22, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »
I mean, SOTC is one of the GOAT.  I really need to play the PS4 one.. should grab it on sale for $13.99 atm.

Bebpo

« Reply #32761 on: February 22, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
lol never going back from the ps4 version. still has annoyances, but it was far more playable for me.

There's a PS4 version?!?

Sony sold this game 3 times (PS2, PS3, PS4)?!?

:lol

Gotta respect the hustle! :salute

Don't play this on any version other than the PS4 version. While the original is still a classic, the PS4 version has complete remake with modern visuals which look awesome and a couple of the songs like the opening have been redone with full orchestra.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32762 on: February 22, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »
lol never going back from the ps4 version. still has annoyances, but it was far more playable for me.

There's a PS4 version?!?

And i bought all three day 1.  :tauntaun

Not even mad tho, SotC is one of the best games made so far.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32763 on: February 22, 2019, 02:50:42 PM »

There's a PS4 version?!?

Don't play this on any version other than the PS4 version. While the original is still a classic, the PS4 version has complete remake with modern visuals which look awesome and a couple of the songs like the opening have been redone with full orchestra.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

yeah looks sick

https://twitter.com/NasterHH/status/961204176427634688
fat

Himu

« Reply #32764 on: February 22, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
Holy shit I didn’t know the ps4 version was a full on remake of this classic. Top 5 best game stories ever made.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #32765 on: February 22, 2019, 03:06:15 PM »
demi, oh no a modern game has a very 1/1000 rare bugs that a couple people see and put on social media.

Most people will never see a single bug/glitch. I know I didn't. And if the physics are 99% perfect but off by 1% then who cares. Game purists are the worst. They complained just as much about the PS3 HD versions, which were fine as well. If you want the 100% accurate original, the original still exists and is playable.

Holy shit I didn’t know the ps4 version was a full on remake of this classic. Top 5 best game stories ever made.

Yeah, I'm still surprised they spent the money and did a full remake. The only thing they didn't really upgrade in graphics are the colossi themselves because they didn't want to mess with their design at all since it's level design. But the world is totally redone and looks incredible.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #32766 on: February 22, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »
i initially didn't like the remake because they removed the bloom lighting and it fucked up so much of the visuals' character, but after messing with the included filters i get something that's a decent approximation of the original. plus the new visuals are just so detailed that it's hard not to like them.
pcp

paprikastaude

« Reply #32767 on: February 22, 2019, 04:05:44 PM »
Next Bluepoint remake is confirmed to be on the same level. Wishing for Silent Hill 2 because of their Konami history :lawd Hoping it's Demon's Souls if it's Sony again.  :doge

« Reply #32768 on: February 22, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »
I just can't get over the fact that they made Wander look like a total gimp in the remake. I mean why?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #32769 on: February 22, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
we need Boktai HD
pcp

« Reply #32770 on: February 22, 2019, 06:54:21 PM »
Just finished Celeste and it was actually pretty good. In general the main levels weren't too difficult or frustrating and the boss fights were nice, the control could be a bit wonky though. Specially towards the end when they added some flight mechanic that forced you to move from using the d-pad to the joysticks for better control and they for some reason  decided to use the spring mechanic from the Mario games which everyone hates. Also the last level in the game after the story was probably the worst in the whole game, you'd think they'd have wanted to send you off on high note instead. I was considering going back doing the B-sides level, but seeing how frustrating that last level was, it'd probably best to just give up at this point and move on to something else.

Bebpo

« Reply #32771 on: February 22, 2019, 06:56:46 PM »
Wait do you mean climbing mountain last level or the heart of the mountain last level?

« Reply #32772 on: February 22, 2019, 07:32:28 PM »
Yeah, core 8 inside the mountain. The mountain climbing level was actually pretty good as far as last levels go.

Bebpo

« Reply #32773 on: February 22, 2019, 08:17:50 PM »
Yeah I liked how the mountain climbing level handled checkpoints with counter flags.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32774 on: February 23, 2019, 04:10:37 AM »
we need Boktai HD

The one game that actually gave you skin cancer. Love it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32775 on: February 23, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »
Phew finally put on outpost on Elaaden.

FemRyder is now level 54 / Nexus level 21 / 67% completion rate / All outposts established / All Architects destroyed / 1 Ark left to find / 2 Loyalty missions left to do / 67 hours in.
But I haven't been to the nexus for a while to turn in some quests so I suppose it could actually be 72% or so.

The end is coming in sight (but I thought the same ~20 hours of gameplay earlier).
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #32776 on: February 23, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »
I started a replay of Link's Awakening Colour because of the recent announcement. I was optimistic after feeling its vibes in the beginning. But not too much later its horrid world map design and clusterfuck of pop-ups started to drag the whole thing down, as usual. I dunno why there's that wall in front of the third dungeon, which makes you backtrack several screens multiple times to open and enter it, among many other things. And of course I needed forever to find that ghost's house again, because only one specific path leads to it within this mess of dead ends and loops. Such an annoying game underneath the good setting.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:55:27 PM by Spieler1 »

Himu

« Reply #32777 on: February 23, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
I started a replay of Link's Awakening Colour because of the recent announcement. I was optimistic after feeling its vibes in the beginning. But not too much later its horrid world map design and clusterfuck of pop-ups started to drag the whole thing down, as usual. I dunno why there's that wall in front of the third dungeon, which makes you backtrack for several screens several times to open and enter it, among many other things. And of course I needed forever to find that ghost's house again, because only one specific path leads to it within this mess of dead ends and loops. Such an annoying game underneath the good setting.

Feel the same way.

LTTP makes it its bitch.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32778 on: February 23, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »
Most Gameboy games were fairly limited because of the low specs of the handheld. I wonder how Nintendo will handle the simplistic nature of Link's Awakening.
Will they keep it mostly the same or make it more modern. Most of the challenges and tasks took place within the space of one 'screen' and there's none of the verticality that LTTP has.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #32779 on: February 23, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »
I tried that Langrisser 1 & 2 demo on Switch JP. Never played the originals. Having so many units on screen with how Langrisser is makes waiting for the enemy turn a pain in the butt for all them to move. Otherwise seemed solid. The mobile-ish art is lame in battles but it animates ok and moves fast. Maybe I'll pick this up and try to play Langrisser 1.

I started a replay of Link's Awakening Colour because of the recent announcement. I was optimistic after feeling its vibes in the beginning. But not too much later its horrid world map design and clusterfuck of pop-ups started to drag the whole thing down, as usual. I dunno why there's that wall in front of the third dungeon, which makes you backtrack for several screens several times to open and enter it, among many other things. And of course I needed forever to find that ghost's house again, because only one specific path leads to it within this mess of dead ends and loops. Such an annoying game underneath the good setting.

Feel the same way.

LTTP makes it its bitch.

Yeah, I mean I was really into Zelda and played LA at least twice back as a kid (B&W and Colour) but never got too far. That, Zelda II and the Oracles games are the only Zeldas I haven't beaten. As a kid Zelda II was too hard and never tried going back and playing it as an adult.

I tried starting LTTP for the first time in 20+ years the other night on SNES classic and actually made a decent bit of progress and the game still held up nicely. The only thing that seemed weird today is link is pretty slippery. I'd hold up to run up and he'd kinda waver left and right along the way and it's hard moving in a start line because he's so sensitive.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32780 on: February 23, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »
Beps, hope you try Link's Awakening again on the Switch.  It's such a creative little game that did some amazing things given the Gameboy's technical constraints. 

It shits all over LttP from a design standpoint. 
 :idont
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #32781 on: February 23, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
Yeah I plan to finally beat it this time with the remake.

Remakes are for people like me who never beat certain games back in the day and now they're too dated to beat, so with a fresh coat of paint now can finally beat them.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32782 on: February 24, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »
Similar to Shadow of the Colossus, Link's Awakening's level design will benefit much from good controls and a bigger field of view. Designing the overworld like a dungeon is still dumb, but it's particularly annoying on Gameboy. Also, I will never understand why they further convoluted things by making something like the power bracelets a separate item slot. NES Zelda didn't do this, despite having an equal amount of buttons.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #32783 on: February 24, 2019, 06:30:02 PM »
LA is technically the most unforgiving Zelda, because you can irreparably fail a dungeon

Wonder if they’ll throw an extra key in the remake

I googled, they patched it out for the DX version and beyond
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:34:05 PM by CatsCatsCats »

Svejk

« Reply #32784 on: February 24, 2019, 07:49:11 PM »
Finally finished AC: Odyssey.. Guess I did the "ending" in the incorrect order?  Did the Atlantis part before the last cultist part.. guess it doesn't really matter since there was no closure whatsoever...  Story-wise, this was no AC2...  Otherwise,  I enjoyed the game quite a bit overall...  But ffs... NO single player game needs to be drug out as long as this game...  Completely unnecessary, imo. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:46:12 PM by Svejk »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32785 on: February 25, 2019, 03:43:22 AM »
You going for that platinum? I gave up on it cause it's all just awful busywork. Think I got the ship upgrade, 20 board missions and the underwater stuff left to do.

Svejk

« Reply #32786 on: February 25, 2019, 08:12:42 AM »
You going for that platinum? I gave up on it cause it's all just awful busywork. Think I got the ship upgrade, 20 board missions and the underwater stuff left to do.
Nah... just wanted to finish whatever main story was there. (Stopped at around 76% of trophies)  Yeah, it is just a bunch busywork and I need to move onto other games.

On the other hand, started playing Baldur's Gate: EE for the first time (Android)...  The UI is a lot to take in, but dang...  Bioware had dat magic back then!!  :lawd

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:51:02 AM by Svejk »

Himu

« Reply #32787 on: February 25, 2019, 09:25:07 AM »
BioWare has made only one great game: BG2.

The rest waver between flawed but good (ME1, KOTOR), good (ME2, DAO), to bad (mostly the rest, especially Jade Empire). They are a company that subsisted on the good will of their earlier work and lucked out when they finally became mainstream.

The loss of their original staff that made the conpany’s legacy has taken its toll and you have the stripped figure of their current barren husk.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #32788 on: February 25, 2019, 09:42:26 AM »
I was gonna go straight to BG2 based on the assumption that it would be more refined than BG (and cheaper too), but going in noob, I thought it would be better to go with the first installment.  Reason it caught my interest recently, is that I had no idea it was based on AD&D rules and themes.  (my son is all about D&D lately)

Himu

« Reply #32789 on: February 25, 2019, 09:45:47 AM »
BG1 is tough. It’s pretty good. BG2 is even better. Enjoy.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32790 on: February 25, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »
Dragon Age: Origins was good at the time, but mainly because it was the first old-school, isometric RPG in nearly a decade. At least from a major developer. That was enough then, but fast-forward a few years and the more recent iso-RPGs smash it into the dirt. Original Sin 1 and 2, Torment, Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2. Heck, I'd probably rather go back and replay Wasteland 2 than DAO. And then the sequels completely abandoned the old-school trappings.
dog

Himu

« Reply #32791 on: February 25, 2019, 09:57:43 AM »
Yeah even their good games rarely age well. DAO probably isn’t good anymore.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32792 on: February 25, 2019, 02:46:52 PM »
Character interactions should still hold up, at least. Still haven't seen another modern RPG use incidental dialogue so well.

The later games have soured me on ever replaying it though. Much like ME. :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32793 on: February 25, 2019, 03:04:56 PM »
I dunno, I'm a big fan of Sci-fi RPG's like Mass Effect.
And they're basically the only developer still(?) making them  :-\
🤴

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32794 on: February 25, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »
Man Im pretty sick of Celeste lol. Up to the 6th C-Side, almost locked in the 1k

Once I'm done with it I'll get onto beating Bloodstained Curse of the Moon which is really good. Does feel funny to buy an Xbone and just play retro platformers on it lol. I'll scoop RE2 shortly
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:11:12 PM by The Sceneman »

Bebpo

« Reply #32795 on: February 25, 2019, 08:36:05 PM »
There are C-sides?  :o

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32796 on: February 25, 2019, 09:17:13 PM »
yeah, once you beat all the b-sides you unlock 8 c-sides. Theyre short (3 rooms) but the the third room is always a tough one requiring generally about 45 seconds of razor sharp gameplay. The temple one was horrendous:

A lot of groaning during that one. Damn satisfying to nail in the end though

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32797 on: February 25, 2019, 09:49:00 PM »
Hunting down the last of the Trinities and grinding for the Hades Cup in KH1.5. Seems there's a secret ending with a bunch of requirements to unlock... to those who have played it, what level is recommended for the secret bosses?
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32798 on: February 25, 2019, 09:50:56 PM »
Depends what difficulty you are playing on. The harder, the easier
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #32799 on: February 25, 2019, 09:52:46 PM »
iirc your 60s should be more than enough to get a victory, but be aware that the final secret boss is a full-on controller smashing dickhead.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32800 on: February 25, 2019, 10:10:14 PM »
You can play like a skunk against the Unknown with Tinkerbell and Aeroga and mash attack for the most part
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32801 on: February 25, 2019, 11:03:39 PM »
I'm on level 60 right now and playing on normal difficulty. I was planning on grinding another 10-20 levels or so. I do want to fight the Unknown boss or what have you.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32802 on: February 26, 2019, 12:23:52 AM »
Standard is ez mode you really shouldnt have much trouble.

For future reference you should try and play proud mode, it makes the requirement for the secret movie easier to obtain in all KH games
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32803 on: February 26, 2019, 01:19:57 PM »
I dunno, I'm a big fan of Sci-fi RPG's like Mass Effect.
And they're basically the only developer still(?) making them  :-\

Sadly so
What

« Reply #32804 on: February 27, 2019, 01:13:03 AM »
Started playing Ys Origin since I thought it could scratch that same classic Zelda itch like Alundra. So far it's such a mediocre game that I'm having to hype myself up just to play it in case it gets better later on. The characters seem likeable enough, so it might be worth the effort to play through.

Bebpo

« Reply #32805 on: February 27, 2019, 01:56:03 AM »
Origin is pretty good! It's not an adventure but it's a good dungeon crawler. Kinda annoying you gotta play it 3 times but it's also sorta fun to play as different characters. Feel free to beat it once and bail though. I don't remember if I even did all 3 runs.

archnemesis

« Reply #32806 on: February 27, 2019, 03:23:36 AM »
Ys Origin might be my favorite game in the series. It is focused and has very little fluff.

Bebpo

« Reply #32807 on: February 27, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »
Was going through my switch library a couple nights ago and remembered that I never finished Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, so I sat down and played through the last few stages and beat it. Now working through Nightmare mode. Ended up liking it a lot more than I remembered when I started it when it came out. The boss fights are pretty creative and fun patterns though kinda easy once you know the patterns. Stages are tougher at spots because the knockbacks but vampire dude helps A LOT because like the final section before the last boss where there are all these birds infinite dropping toads I just transformed into a bat and dashed past it all yay.

But yeah I liked the boss fights the best. The library gal with the umbrellas you climb on or hide under to avoid the rain is neat and the final boss was pretty fun, same with electric guy. All pretty good stuff. I'm not a huge old school CV fan so while I enjoyed the levels and their branching paths which was really neat (though you don't see a lot of it unless you fuck up and lose bat boy or high jump girl early on), definitely had the most fun at the bosses.

I feel like they put a lot of creativity into this. The 4 character system adds a lot of strategy, like I'd use old useless dude as a tank if I was gonna take a hit since you essentially have 4 HP pools and any kind of risky jump I'd have a less important character attempt it. All the sub weapons added a lot too. Each had their uses. And art direction and music was pretty great.

Will finish up Nightmare mode for the true ending, but probably won't do a 3rd run in Ultimate mode since like I said I'm not a big old-school CV fan and I'm just playing Nightmare for the new attacks the bosses get and the true ending boss. Replaying the levels is just sorta the grind to get to that for me.

What are the Initi Creates games worth playing? I enjoyed their MM9/10 and this. Haven't played Gunvolt or Mighty No.9.

Himu

« Reply #32808 on: February 27, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
Was going through my switch library a couple nights ago and remembered that I never finished Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, so I sat down and played through the last few stages and beat it. Now working through Nightmare mode. Ended up liking it a lot more than I remembered when I started it when it came out. The boss fights are pretty creative and fun patterns though kinda easy once you know the patterns. Stages are tougher at spots because the knockbacks but vampire dude helps A LOT because like the final section before the last boss where there are all these birds infinite dropping toads I just transformed into a bat and dashed past it all yay.

But yeah I liked the boss fights the best. The library gal with the umbrellas you climb on or hide under to avoid the rain is neat and the final boss was pretty fun, same with electric guy. All pretty good stuff. I'm not a huge old school CV fan so while I enjoyed the levels and their branching paths which was really neat (though you don't see a lot of it unless you fuck up and lose bat boy or high jump girl early on), definitely had the most fun at the bosses.

I feel like they put a lot of creativity into this. The 4 character system adds a lot of strategy, like I'd use old useless dude as a tank if I was gonna take a hit since you essentially have 4 HP pools and any kind of risky jump I'd have a less important character attempt it. All the sub weapons added a lot too. Each had their uses. And art direction and music was pretty great.

Will finish up Nightmare mode for the true ending, but probably won't do a 3rd run in Ultimate mode since like I said I'm not a big old-school CV fan and I'm just playing Nightmare for the new attacks the bosses get and the true ending boss. Replaying the levels is just sorta the grind to get to that for me.

What are the Initi Creates games worth playing? I enjoyed their MM9/10 and this. Haven't played Gunvolt or Mighty No.9.

Mega Man Zero 2.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32809 on: February 27, 2019, 04:03:52 PM »
Heard only bad things about Mighty No. 9, but Gal Gunvolt and Mighty Gunvolt are fun Mega Man clones.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #32810 on: March 01, 2019, 05:34:21 AM »
Spent the night playing through Zone of the Enders 2 PS4 Edition. I haven't played this since the PS2 release where I played it like 6 times in a row and all the EX missions and stuff during the month it came out. I skipped the PS3 version because I heard it was a mess (although they fixed it later).

It's interesting seeing the game these days. Back 16 years ago it was one of my favorites games of all time. Today...it's still pretty good but has some issues. On the plus side the pacing is still fantastic. Just like the first night I played the game I pretty much played the entire thing through in one 4-5 hour sitting because there's no good stopping points. Shit is always happening. Lots of boss fights, constant sub-weapons given to you, and a really tight script that's great (and unfortunately butchered in localization; would recommend trying to play it with JPN audio in a Steam version hack if you can).

The boss fights are pretty creative. The core combat of ZoE is fairly simple and so the game is a mix up of minigame-esque scenarios, grunt battles with different enemy types requiring different strategies and usage of subweapons, and bosses where most have something unique about them whether it's dodging a boss so they fly into an electric field paralyzing themselves, throwing girders, or grabbing pieces of the boss to block the boss's weapon. All great. The sub-weapons are awesome and a lot of fun. It's still a blast to grab guys with WISP and use them to punch others, to launch a bunch of homing missiles, to drop mines at attackers, to use giant beam guns and decoys, and of course Vector Cannon and Zero Shift are still amazing and have influenced gaming to this day. Cutscene direction and music and art direction are great as well.

What's not so great these days is the camera from hell, which is really pretty bad. I'd kill for a remake of ZoE2 with just a modern 360 degree free camera you can rotate around smoothly instead of weird snapping and hard to turn and constantly locking on (which you can ignore with holding L2 but it doesn't make moving around much easier because the camera just kinda sucks). Also the musou stage while impressive on the ps2 is just kind of a long zzz bit these days. But the air ships with vector cannon stage is still great.

Anyhow, outside the camera I've only got one complaint, and it may be less on the game and more on Cygames' port of the PS4 version (which otherwise is great),

They fucked up the final Aumaan Anubis fight and made it kinda awful. Like I was surprised when I was having trouble beating it because my memory was that the prior Anubis fight in the light tunnel was the harder fight (and it's still challenging but it has consistent patterns and if you do them right you win). Basically there's a couple issues with the fight now. First is what from what I'm reading, in the original ZoE2 Aumaan Anubis did a heal himself move pretty rarely, maybe once a fight or not at all. Now he does it at 75% HP, at 50% HP and at 25% HP. At the 50% and 25% HP ones he fires bursts attacks while doing it so you can't stay in his face burst blading the healing pieces and have to rely on dodge homing laser which doesn't seem to do a great job so he tends to regain about 25% HP each time, so now he's got about 150% HP or more (depending on what he gains the first time) which makes the fight more of an endurance fight than it was. Next, his melee stuff seems inconsistent and so do the controls a bit. You zero shift in and hit and then dodge left/right and try to hit like on the PS2 and it works like 1 in 4 times and the other 3 times you dodge and go for a hit and he instead hits you and does like 25% damage in a few hits. The controls thing is that the burst blade was not coming out consistent for me at all. I'd hold R2 for a second when he has his shield up and then hit square and sometimes he'd do the burst blade and get some damage in, but sometimes he'd just sit there and do nothing and then anubis would hit back for 25% damage or sometimes anubis would move back a step and he'd do the giant energy ball and anubis would hit me for 25% damage. It was also tough to burst blade the healing bit because you keep getting pushed away from anubis and half the time you do the energy ball instead of the burst blade when you hold R2 for a second.

Basically I got through the game in like 4:30 with a couple deaths and then it took me an hour and like 25 retries on Aumaan Anubis and I still won the fight with just like 1 hit until death. It kinda ruined the exciting pace of the game and by the time I beat him I didn't care about the story/cutscenes at the end because I was just glad it was over. Even though the rest of the game is perfectly fine difficulty-wise if I ever replayed this version I'd probably play on easy just to be able to play straight through the story from start to finish without banging my head on a wall for an hour on the final boss. I guess they felt it was wrong that the 2nd to last boss was tougher than the final boss so they beefed the final one up to feel like a real final boss that you struggle and just barely beat eventually.

Anyhow, other than that it's still great and looks nice. I wish they made more games like this these days and it makes me wonder why no one's really tried to do a good ZoE2 clone with a fast paced exciting story and a bunch of bosses and cool sub-weapons. Indie games have done that kinda game in other genre, but I can't think of any indie mech games like it.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #32811 on: March 01, 2019, 06:48:25 AM »
i think the harder final boss comes from the special edition that was released later to add in some of the extra stuff from the European release. iirc the final boss was changed specifically because the previous fight was harder. haven't beaten any of the hd versions but it sucks to hear that the fight is frustrating now.

is the vr version included with the ps4 release? it looks kinda cool, but also like it would be exhausting after awhile.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #32812 on: March 01, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
i think the harder final boss comes from the special edition that was released later to add in some of the extra stuff from the European release. iirc the final boss was changed specifically because the previous fight was harder. haven't beaten any of the hd versions but it sucks to hear that the fight is frustrating now.

is the vr version included with the ps4 release? it looks kinda cool, but also like it would be exhausting after awhile.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I saw some people commenting about frustrations with the PS3 HD remaster as well on that fight, so if they're both based on the SE which changed it up that explains it. In that case Cygames did a nice job with this generation's port and I'm just not a fan of that SE change.

I tried the VR version when I got it last year and it was kinda a joke. Because the animation still follows the game animation where it jumps around between enemies while slashing and stuff it just feels weird in VR. I only played the intro and bailed though so maybe it gets better.

Bebpo

« Reply #32813 on: March 02, 2019, 02:49:53 AM »
Finished up the old/first pyramids around the mountains of Memphis in AC Origins and got to the Faiyum Oaisis and started doing quests/mapping it out and daaaaaamn, this is a huge chunk of area for the game. Like if you count all the stops along the outskirts of the lake and then the entire main island in the oasis that's way bigger than Alexandria or Memphis. Looks like a lot of quests too. Guess I'll be here for a while. Wouldn't be surprised if I hit max level or near it by the time I finished up here. Already lvl.31 and I think the cap is 40 for the base game?

I think this game is gonna take me longer than I expected. Around 34 hours in now. When I'm done I'll play the DLCs for sure (I heard they're pretty good in this one), since I've tried to play every AC game + their DLC expansions, but I'll probably take a few month break before jumping in and doing them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:36:05 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #32814 on: March 02, 2019, 05:51:10 AM »
Yeah, I dug Gemini Rue. Still need to play Snatcher & Policenauts at some point.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32815 on: March 02, 2019, 08:25:06 AM »
Tales of Vesperia - was disappointed in the beginning, but it picked up after ten hours or so. Still don't think this is the best To game though, apart from maybe the characters (and even in that aspect, that new pedo character from the PS3 port is just annoying).

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32816 on: March 02, 2019, 09:21:54 AM »
Borys, play Beneath a Steel Sky next. It's free on GOG.
dog

Himu

« Reply #32817 on: March 02, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »
Play Suikoden II you dirty mother fucker.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32818 on: March 02, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »
What

Bebpo

« Reply #32819 on: March 02, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »
I picked up Zelda Majora's Mask 3D the other week just to fill out my 3DS game collection a bit. Started playing it and realized 20 years later, I don't remember anything about it, and it's really good! Like I beat it back in 2000, and I remember my impressions at the time was that it was ok and I disappointed it only had 4 dungeons coming from Ocarina which had more and felt like a bigger adventure. I don't remember being big on the repetition 3 day cycle either. But otherwise I don't remember anything specific about it besides like rolling around as a Goro in the Goro part.

So when I started as a deku boy I was like wtf, I don't remember this! And maybe it's just being older and wiser almost 20 years later, but I'm enjoying the time cycle this time around. I'm midway through the Deku Temple first real dungeon and I think I'm gonna end up playing through the whole thing. It's kinda exciting playing an all new zelda game...sorta!

The one nice thing about getting old is after 20 years I don't remember games at all if I haven't touched them since and it's like an all new first time experience! And 15-20 years now is hitting right where all the best games of all time were coming out on PS1/N64/PS2, so a lot of good stuff to replay. Playing RE2 Remake, ZoE2 HD, Yoshi's Island on SNES Classic and Majora's Mask 3D, I'm enjoying these old school style games a lot more than any of the modern games I'm playing, but maybe it's unfair comparing like the best games of their times vs like AC Origins which is a solid, but repetitive and bloated and shallow 8/10 kinda game.

As someone who never replays old games and has never been into retro gaming (I grew up on colecovision/atari/dos/nes, etc... but I have zero love and interest in replaying pre-16 bit gaming), this latest string of games I'm playing is finally getting me into retro gaming. I may end up replaying a lot of ps1/ps2/n64/gc/saturn/dc-era stuff in the coming years...