Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3605885 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37140 on: July 08, 2021, 11:19:51 AM »
The original on the PS2 would've been more your speed.

archnemesis

« Reply #37141 on: July 08, 2021, 11:22:25 AM »
I'm also not really feeling the new Ratchet game. It's fine, but I had a lot more fun playing the PS3 games.

Bebpo

« Reply #37142 on: July 08, 2021, 11:53:27 AM »
After Astro's Playroom I was hungry for more 3D platforming so I started playing the new Ratchet. Honestly, I've never really followed the series apart from playing a demo of one of the PS3 games. Not sure how I feel about the game - I mean it looks absolutely fantastic (especially the fur shaders), but its game design and story feels like a game from the early 2000s - don't like how fast the camera moves when you try to move it, nor how some places that it looks like you can jump on are just invisible walls. The dialogue and cutscenes are super cheesy and since I've never played the other 20 or so games, have no idea who these characters are or why should I care. A lot of the more interesting ideas (like the pocket dimensions which are more platformer-driven) are over too quickly. Also don't like the soundtrack, it feels generic marvel superhero movie... I'll still continue with it but I feel like since I never was much for the more freeroaming collectathon 3D platformers, never grew up with this series, and was too old for early 2000's CG cartoons (i.e. Jimmy Neutron), it just comes across as childish (but not in the timeless way that something like Nintendo games or lots of Disney movies are).

Astro's is definitely much more in line with what I want from a 3D platformer - more linear, platforming-based levels, and an excellent soundtrack.

I haven't played Ratchet yet past the intro, but just fyi Ratchet has never really been a 3d collect-a-thon platformer. It's a light-TPS series with some platforming and puzzles. I don't like FPS games generally but I do like TPS games usually so I enjoy it. But it's more a shooter than a platformer.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37143 on: July 08, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »
Ratchet is platforming fast food. I don't particularly think any game is better or worse than the last one. The story is pretty throwaway, but the environments, effects and levels are generally good eyepieces
fat

« Reply #37144 on: July 08, 2021, 01:24:19 PM »
You kids and your Jumping Flash clones.

paprikastaude

« Reply #37145 on: July 08, 2021, 04:14:23 PM »
After Astro's Playroom I was hungry for more 3D platforming so I started playing the new Ratchet. Honestly, I've never really followed the series apart from playing a demo of one of the PS3 games. Not sure how I feel about the game - I mean it looks absolutely fantastic (especially the fur shaders), but its game design and story feels like a game from the early 2000s - don't like how fast the camera moves when you try to move it, nor how some places that it looks like you can jump on are just invisible walls. The dialogue and cutscenes are super cheesy and since I've never played the other 20 or so games, have no idea who these characters are or why should I care. A lot of the more interesting ideas (like the pocket dimensions which are more platformer-driven) are over too quickly. Also don't like the soundtrack, it feels generic marvel superhero movie... I'll still continue with it but I feel like since I never was much for the more freeroaming collectathon 3D platformers, never grew up with this series, and was too old for early 2000's CG cartoons (i.e. Jimmy Neutron), it just comes across as childish (but not in the timeless way that something like Nintendo games or lots of Disney movies are).

Astro's is definitely much more in line with what I want from a 3D platformer - more linear, platforming-based levels, and an excellent soundtrack.

I played the PS4 game and it was definition of "ok?". Just like Spyro before it. Insomniac is very much cookie-cutter and by-the-numbers from my experience. What brought Ratchet PS4 down for me was that I didn't feel there was a fun-to-use standard weapon. Combining them was cool, but on their own no weapon was really that fun. Also some of those character designs are just meh.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 05:01:25 PM by Spieler1 »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37146 on: July 09, 2021, 12:22:44 AM »
You kids and your Jumping Flash clones.

Jumping Flash? Too new for me, I'm a veteran of Geograph Seal on the X68000 :P
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37147 on: July 09, 2021, 01:52:23 AM »
Man, Jumping Flash was dope.

I remember playing it on a "massive" (for its time) 35" TV, and watching other people in the living room lean back and sway during the jumps. It was oddly transportative.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37148 on: July 10, 2021, 01:48:05 AM »
It still has a bunch of issues and is at best a C game, but the female character route for Scarlet Nexus is better. 

But it kind of highlights a problem. The story is still nonsense and bad, but at least things are actually explained. Not in a clever way where you play one side and receive another perspective that changes the dynamics. No instead it often feels like the female side literally is explaining things that should have been mentioned on both sides. Things such as what the hell the conflict is.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #37149 on: July 12, 2021, 06:52:42 PM »
Picked up Metro games for switch during GME sale last week. Just a few chapters in, but pleasantly surprised so far in handheld mode.
jon

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37150 on: July 13, 2021, 05:29:47 AM »
I beat Nightmare King Grimm Lol that was so hard but very satisfying. I couple of random cheevos left and the boss gauntlets and I think I've just about done everything in my first save of Hollow Knight.

Next up I'll go for the speedrun and speed 100% cheevos (and leave the ratbag Zote to die)

Hamarr

« Reply #37151 on: July 16, 2021, 08:29:06 PM »
I played through most of the tutorial area of Skyward Sword HD.  I owned the original on Wii years ago but didn’t play it too much.  The button controls feel mostly okay other than having to hold the left bumper to use the right stick to look around.  This are reminded me how much I disliked the opening of the game and Twilight Princess. Especially after playing BOTW, which is almost too hands off at times.

I want to play more later when I don’r feel like I am going to pass out.  The right thumb stick sword controls feel surprisingly okay.  I’m using the Pro controller. 

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37152 on: July 16, 2021, 09:05:36 PM »
Anyone here play Muck? It's like Minecraft or Raft mixed with Binding of Isaac, it's on steam and it's free. Only played it for 10 mins before dying, it seems cool but there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37153 on: July 17, 2021, 12:26:50 AM »
oh

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37154 on: July 17, 2021, 04:50:52 AM »
I've been laid out by a flu-like virus (not COVID) for the past week and have been BINGING Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

Its so hard to put down and a perfect game when you're low energy and sick. Its easy, theres a bazillion things to do, its funny, endearing, and just plain awesome. At chapter 10 atm but am doing as much side stuff as I can early. Smashing all the sub-stories gives you awesome employees for the business subgame. I did all the quiz certificates in one sitting. I gave the kart game a go but am yet to get deep into that. I used guides for the collectible quests so I am rolling in cash.

The JRPG parody is spot on and spoilers:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Nanba arc so far is on point with the heel-turn trope. I was punching the air when he came back and "had been practicing a new move" and its superpowered homeless man booze power :rofl so good.
[close]

Also been chipping away at mastering Hollow Knight. Managed to rip through the first boss guantlet. Im kinda scared of the ultimate 40 minute version but hey if I beat Nightmare Grimm I can do this. Just gotta keep practicing. What an amaazing game. The soundtrack in the godhome area is sublime once the violin kicks in

And did I mention I am playing both of these masterpieces on GAMEPASS??!? Truly the greatest value ever offered in gaming

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37155 on: July 17, 2021, 09:56:56 AM »
Still finishing up Ratchet... looking at a guide and I'm about 75% done with it. Have to go and defend the archives now. It's endeared to me a bit more (the grinding-on-rails while escaping from the robot was neat) but still feels like a mishmash of different elements that have been done far better in other games. The open world area sucked and was a chore to get through.

The week of the 26th I'm taking a vacation so I'm planned to binge Like A Dragon, PS5 ver. - really excited to play it, though tbh it'll be my first experience with the franchise believe it or not (I do own all of the US released ones)
^_^

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37156 on: July 17, 2021, 04:32:35 PM »
Got inspired by The Sceneman to restart Hollow Knight for the third time. Got to the Greenpath area this time which is way further than I got in previous attempts.

I think it's clicking now and I'm actually enjoying it.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #37157 on: July 17, 2021, 05:18:01 PM »
I've been laid out by a flu-like virus (not COVID) for the past week and have been BINGING Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

Its so hard to put down and a perfect game when you're low energy and sick. Its easy, theres a bazillion things to do, its funny, endearing, and just plain awesome. At chapter 10 atm but am doing as much side stuff as I can early. Smashing all the sub-stories gives you awesome employees for the business subgame. I did all the quiz certificates in one sitting. I gave the kart game a go but am yet to get deep into that. I used guides for the collectible quests so I am rolling in cash.

The JRPG parody is spot on and spoilers:
The Nanba arc so far is on point with the heel-turn trope. I was punching the air when he came back and "had been practicing a new move" and its superpowered homeless man booze power :rofl so good.
[close]

Also been chipping away at mastering Hollow Knight. Managed to rip through the first boss guantlet. Im kinda scared of the ultimate 40 minute version but hey if I beat Nightmare Grimm I can do this. Just gotta keep practicing. What an amaazing game. The soundtrack in the godhome area is sublime once the violin kicks in

And did I mention I am playing both of these masterpieces on GAMEPASS??!? Truly the greatest value ever offered in gaming

Yeah, the boss gauntlet DLC is the only thing I didn't do in HK. I did the shorter ones, but the full length one is just stupid and unfun. You can youtube the ending if you give up on that one.

I also think Nightmare King Grimm is the best fight in the game and love it. The individual fights are great and well designed, even the shorter gauntlets are ok, but the full gauntlet just doesn't work with the gameplay in HK.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37158 on: July 18, 2021, 12:46:01 AM »
Got inspired by The Sceneman to restart Hollow Knight for the third time. Got to the Greenpath area this time which is way further than I got in previous attempts.

Yeah it took me a couple of goes before it 'clicked' for me and this is actually pretty common from what I've read. Basically the game is kinda obtuse at the start and just not that thrilling. But once you unlock some traversal abilities the map opens RIGHT up and the world will blow your mind. Being able to customise your loadout is a huge part of the game as well which again, you dont really get this option until you've sunk several hours into it.

Good luck and I hope you get into it this time

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37159 on: July 18, 2021, 01:08:31 AM »
Yeah, the boss gauntlet DLC is the only thing I didn't do in HK. I did the shorter ones, but the full length one is just stupid and unfun. You can youtube the ending if you give up on that one.

I also think Nightmare King Grimm is the best fight in the game and love it. The individual fights are great and well designed, even the shorter gauntlets are ok, but the full gauntlet just doesn't work with the gameplay in HK.

From what I can tell HK superfans were clamoring for a boss rush mode so Team Cherry delivered that and tied an achievement to it much to the chagrin of achievement whores like myself. As far as extra modes go though the fact the 'UI' is so well integrated into the game itself (eg new location, challenge doors, hall of gods rather than a menu) is really impressive but you'd expect nothing less from Team Cherry. It wouldve been way cooler if Godhome was an actual explorable level/area though! Guess I just gotta get pumped for Silksong

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37160 on: July 18, 2021, 01:25:35 AM »

Yeah it took me a couple of goes before it 'clicked' for me and this is actually pretty common from what I've read. Basically the game is kinda obtuse at the start and just not that thrilling. But once you unlock some traversal abilities the map opens RIGHT up and the world will blow your mind. Being able to customise your loadout is a huge part of the game as well which again, you dont really get this option until you've sunk several hours into it.

Good luck and I hope you get into it this time
Finished Greenpath. Definitely going to keep at it.
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37161 on: July 18, 2021, 06:53:04 AM »
Been playing so much Stardew Valley with this girl I met.. we spent like 60 hours on that save alone nevermind risk of rain 2, dbz fighterz we been playing and talking so much omggg

She also got me to get Monster Hunter Stories 2 on Steam and then i bought the EXPENSIVE 3ds game as well
What

Hamarr

« Reply #37162 on: July 18, 2021, 10:28:04 AM »
I played some more Skyward Sword yesterday.  I finished the first dungeon and did some other exploring.  The game felt more like the other 3D Zeldas once I got to the surface other than some motion control gimmicks that seem to be everywhere.    The combat felt fine until the first boss and then everything felt button mashy.  Maybe because I am not using motion controls?

I’m on a Nintendo kick/Zelda lock so I fired up Twilight Princess on Dolphin and played that for about an hour.

Svejk

« Reply #37163 on: July 18, 2021, 02:09:28 PM »
Streets of Rage 4 Survival mode is the bee's knees.  Been playing with my son non-stop and unlocking stuff left and right.  :rejoice They made a great game even greater!  Best $8 I've ever spent.

Bebpo

« Reply #37164 on: July 18, 2021, 07:19:40 PM »
Halfway through Judgment now and this game is so much better than I expected. One of the best games I've played this year. Really makes me want to play more of the Yakuza games I'm behind on. The quality of the story stuff is so good & enjoyable in these games.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37165 on: July 19, 2021, 12:27:11 PM »
just FFX. late game is really addictive. Good enough I've even battled through the atrocious minigames for the celestial weapons. Still need to dodge 200 consecutive lightning bolts for lulu's though (got up to 57 or so on one of my first attempts in the place you can kinda cheese it. didn't bother trying again) :doge

never attempted the post game content last time I played this (when it came out). I see why I didn't bother, but it's a fun grind. have collected most of the monsters now, and my party is good enough to start making headway through the arena fights. now to get into the grid and grind out dem spheres
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #37166 on: July 20, 2021, 03:30:01 PM »
FFX gameplay is so great. The last great turn based FF. Shame about all the zippers and dumb male character designs.

I would like to spend a bunch of time grinding it but time is a factor... trying to find a new job, dealing with my current one, family BS, and I like to have some variety in my games so I don't just catass one exclusively. I may stick a save somewhere and do some grinding every once and again.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #37167 on: July 20, 2021, 04:31:52 PM »
FFX gameplay is so great. The last great turn based FF. Shame about all the zippers and dumb male character designs.

I would like to spend a bunch of time grinding it but time is a factor... trying to find a new job, dealing with my current one, family BS, and I like to have some variety in my games so I don't just catass one exclusively. I may stick a save somewhere and do some grinding every once and again.

I mean...there's only been one other turn-based FF since (FF13), so not the highest bar :P  FFX's gameplay is great though.

Actually if you also have FFX-2, FFXIII-2 and I'd argue FFX-2 has much better gameplay since it's X but with jobs, and I hate FFXIII, but XIII-2 plays pretty well (but X and X-2 probably play better).

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37168 on: July 20, 2021, 06:27:01 PM »
FFX-2 combat>>>>>>>>>

naff

« Reply #37169 on: July 20, 2021, 06:47:24 PM »
i want to get into x-2, but i also have ys viii sitting here staring at me. ripped through the final scenario in X before i become ridiculously OP (just setup my party to smash through the sphere grid with don tonberry). that ending still hits hard; i would take care of you yuna :'(  :uguu :heartbeat

quite like how the final boss is a story boss with basically no way to fail. great way to build tension even if OP, being forced to cycle through all the aeons you've collected and sitting through those summon animations isn't something you want to do twice.
[close]
◕‿◕

« Reply #37170 on: July 21, 2021, 01:39:26 AM »
the new meta in mtg: arena seems to be a deck full of burn and sacrifice spells. if i see someone play a snow land, i immediately concede. i retire from this garbage game. why does everyone have the same goddamn deck now?!?! i hate to say it, but i miss ruin crab.

naff

« Reply #37171 on: July 21, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »
assume you're talking about the frost bite x embercleave beat down special? pretty classic sligh deck with a great curve and a host of cheap removal with some best in class pump spells. I imagine that's wrecking the best of 1 queues especially.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #37172 on: July 21, 2021, 09:37:37 AM »
the new meta in mtg: arena seems to be a deck full of burn and sacrifice spells. if i see someone play a snow land, i immediately concede. i retire from this garbage game. why does everyone have the same goddamn deck now?!?! i hate to say it, but i miss ruin crab.

you should turn to the dark side and jam some RDW. it's a great play style especially when you're fairly new. rarely the "best deck" but great against everything but the best piles that also require decent pilots
◕‿◕

« Reply #37173 on: July 21, 2021, 10:01:40 AM »
You would come across one of these endless burn decks once in a while before, but since AFR it’s like 8/10 matches are that. Seems so stupid to jump back to an old meta when there’s all these cool AFR cards to play around with.

Speaking of, the new enchantment classes are really fun. I’m loving Bard and Fighter classes.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #37174 on: July 21, 2021, 01:34:38 PM »
FF X-2 is a short game. And quite strange, too. Probably wouldn't feel like even more FFX.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37175 on: July 21, 2021, 02:13:24 PM »
I reinstalled MTGA, played one draft, got mad, uninstalled it.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #37176 on: July 21, 2021, 03:56:25 PM »
I was in the mood for SaGa so I played some more SaGa 2 DS and started looking up mechanics and finally started getting the hang of it at the end of world 1.

So out of curiosity I booted up SaGa 1/Final Fantasy Legend on the Switch Collection of SaGa and started playing last night blind and ended up playing until 3am and got to the 2nd world. I was wondering why my human character had shit stats compared to my Mutant and monsters and then I wiki'd humans in SaGa 1 and saw you have to BUY YOUR STATS which is kind of crazy and unique as I've never seen another rpg where if you have the money you can be as powerful as you want. So now my Human is pretty great! and my Mutant is pretty great! and my monsters are ok (running 2 monsters, 1 human, 1 mutant).

I have the island ship now in World 2 and sailing around and honestly, outside of the really high encounter rate, I'm surprised how much this 1989 GB game still holds up especially in FF speed on the Switch collection. The game is fast and fun and the character growth/battle system is very solid even by modern standards. Literally the only two changes needed to modernize it would be to chill on the encounter rate and to add ability/item/equipment descriptions so you don't have to trial & error or wiki every goddamn thing.

Probably going to blow through SaGa 1 in a few days and then get back to SaGa 2 DS and go through it. At that point I might as well play SaGa 3 DS to have experienced & enjoyed the original trilogy and then maybe from there I'll just go in order and do Romancing Saga 1->3 (using Minstril Saga for RS1) -> Unlimited SaGa -> Scarlet Grace. I'll hold off on SaGa Frontier 2 since it sounds like it's the next remake from the team and SF1 remake was amazing.

Bebpo

« Reply #37177 on: July 21, 2021, 11:19:22 PM »
Shit, the Wonderswan Color remake of SaGa 1 is really nice

Tempted to bail out of my run and restart on that if I can find a way to play it.

Bebpo

« Reply #37178 on: July 22, 2021, 01:32:41 AM »
So I started a new game on the wonderswan version and got back to where I was and then did world 2 which puts me 50% through the game.

I...don't know if I can make it through the rest. It's not hard, but I've never seen an encounter rate this high in any rpg in the history of rpgs. Like every 2-3 steps in parts of World 2. Compound that with SaGa 1 being very maze-y and obscure so lots of backtracking and missed items with fights taking 20 mins to get through a few screens...it's a pretty miserable experience.

So glad the SaGa 2/3 DS remakes have visible encounters you can dodge + run always succeeds!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37179 on: July 22, 2021, 01:52:13 AM »
fat

Bebpo

Bebpo

« Reply #37181 on: July 22, 2021, 02:28:17 AM »
So after World 2 of SaGa 1 being miserable 3 hours of two step encounters, World 3 in the sky with skyship has like no encounters and took around 40 mins and was pretty fun.

Now in World 4 which is SMT and I'm running from Suzaku in post-apocalyptic Tokyo on an Akira bike. Game is definitely varied in locations! Hopefully this world isn't too bad and the endgame isn't miserable. I hear the finally boss (God) is insane but that chainsaw kills him in 1 hit so I'm just gonna cheese it.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37182 on: July 22, 2021, 10:20:32 AM »
I was in the mood for SaGa so I played some more SaGa 2 DS and started looking up mechanics and finally started getting the hang of it at the end of world 1.

So out of curiosity I booted up SaGa 1/Final Fantasy Legend on the Switch Collection of SaGa and started playing last night blind and ended up playing until 3am and got to the 2nd world. I was wondering why my human character had shit stats compared to my Mutant and monsters and then I wiki'd humans in SaGa 1 and saw you have to BUY YOUR STATS which is kind of crazy and unique as I've never seen another rpg where if you have the money you can be as powerful as you want. So now my Human is pretty great! and my Mutant is pretty great! and my monsters are ok (running 2 monsters, 1 human, 1 mutant).

I have the island ship now in World 2 and sailing around and honestly, outside of the really high encounter rate, I'm surprised how much this 1989 GB game still holds up especially in FF speed on the Switch collection. The game is fast and fun and the character growth/battle system is very solid even by modern standards. Literally the only two changes needed to modernize it would be to chill on the encounter rate and to add ability/item/equipment descriptions so you don't have to trial & error or wiki every goddamn thing.

Probably going to blow through SaGa 1 in a few days and then get back to SaGa 2 DS and go through it. At that point I might as well play SaGa 3 DS to have experienced & enjoyed the original trilogy and then maybe from there I'll just go in order and do Romancing Saga 1->3 (using Minstril Saga for RS1) -> Unlimited SaGa -> Scarlet Grace. I'll hold off on SaGa Frontier 2 since it sounds like it's the next remake from the team and SF1 remake was amazing.

I loved the original SaGa/FFL - was one of the first few RPGs I've ever played. The 'eat the meat' to upgrade your monsters was so cool (especially if you had the old Game Boy strategy guide from Nintendo Power, which had a huge chart of all the combinations), loved the variety in environments (especially the post-apocalyptic world with the bike where you're running from Suzaku till you get ERASE99), and some scenes towards the end of the game are still burnt in my memory. This is where I learned about the 4 Chinese Celestial Gods, Hindu god Asura, and so on.

One thing with HP upgrades... those items "HP200", "HP400", "HP600" - those only raise your stats up to said amount (i.e. if you use a HP200 when your HP is over 200, you'll only gain 1 more HP). At the end of the game I remember buying a ton of HP200s and raising all my humans up to 999 one-by-one-by-one.

The music ruled too.

I beat 1 and 3, and made it quite far in 2 but never beat that one. I need to go and replay that one in particular, as it's easily the best of the GB trilogy (3 is a bit more standard of an RPG, with a confusing plot and almost feels like a prototype for Mystic Quest with its jump mechanic and battle perspective)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:24:33 AM by tiesto »
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #37183 on: July 22, 2021, 04:17:00 PM »
Yeah I got to the sorta final boss of Ashura at the top of the tower last night and my 400-500 HP party just gets wiped. But to go from 400HP->999HP with my human I'd need to buy like five HP100 items at a time, open the item menu and use them one at a time for 5 HP gain, go back to the shop menu and buy another 5, etc... which would take hours to get 999 HP.

And my Mutant would need to just grind a shitton fights to get from 450HP anywhere near there.

Ashura hits a single person for like 600+ damage or uses all-party Flare for like 300 HP damage for every character. Two turns of Flare wipes the whole party with my HPs.

And the nearest town with healing and items to even grind is like an hour back -_-

I might be fucked and unable to finish SaGa 1. Game is fun but around the final dungeon of Suzaku in the Skyskraper the difficulty jump is just crazy hard.

paprikastaude

« Reply #37184 on: July 22, 2021, 08:29:15 PM »
Played the first few chapters of Dead Space again after the remake announcement.

This game didn't need a remake.

Bebpo

« Reply #37185 on: July 22, 2021, 08:49:43 PM »
Yep. I really liked Dead Space 1 & 2.

But the games are too recent and not good enough to be worth the remake effort. Might as well have just rebooted it for a new Dead Space with zomg gfx. Dead Space 1 is not a classic. It's just a pretty solid RE4 in space.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37186 on: July 22, 2021, 10:04:59 PM »
Played the first few chapters of Dead Space again after the remake announcement.

This game didn't need a remake.
It needed a patch at the least, on PC.
I'll take a remake tho.  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #37187 on: July 22, 2021, 11:12:44 PM »
Beat SaGa 1 without cheating! Even did the Creator with the chainsaw and then grinded and made a good party for a bit and beat him for real and proper. Very satisfying.

Cool game ahead of its time, very broken and a mess though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37188 on: July 24, 2021, 02:08:59 PM »
This game aged like fine wine :lawd

As I nuked our enemies after blowing up a star system killing 300 000 Batarians Mordin started to wonder who the real threat is

[close]

The Genophage is preserved, Geth are destroyed, Collectors annihilated, Autisty saved, Mercenaries disbanded. Everyone else knows their place in the galaxy.
It was chalenging on hardcore but all crew members survived the suicide mission although not without significant trauma.

Now to get that Shadow Broker cuck and prepare for total war :rash
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37189 on: July 24, 2021, 02:34:09 PM »
Just wait until you start the major drop off that is 3. I blasted through 1 and 2 and haven't touched 3 for at least a month (and had only put in maybe 6 or 7 hours) :kobeyuck
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #37190 on: July 24, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »
Just wait until you start the major drop off that is 3. I blasted through 1 and 2 and haven't touched 3 for at least a month (and had only put in maybe 6 or 7 hours) :kobeyuck

I don't think I finished the intro in ME3...

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37191 on: July 24, 2021, 02:41:37 PM »
its clear they didn't put as much effort into the remaster of 3 too, it looks a bit shit compared to 1 and especially 2.
(ice)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #37192 on: July 24, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »
Ok nintex but which alien did you fuck
yar

paprikastaude

« Reply #37193 on: July 24, 2021, 07:25:31 PM »
NfS Hot Pursuit 2010 - wait this isn't open world? :mindblown And of course, much better for it. Although it's a little irritating you can only take other cars down when they have a health bar.

Bebpo

« Reply #37194 on: July 24, 2021, 08:02:41 PM »
It's no Burnout but it's a pretty good racer.

Probably the last great arcade racer?

paprikastaude

« Reply #37195 on: July 25, 2021, 03:29:21 PM »
It's no Burnout but it's a pretty good racer.

Probably the last great arcade racer?

Most Wanted 2012 was okay. Kind of fixed the Burnout Paradise formula, before the genre went off the rails entirely.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37196 on: July 25, 2021, 05:52:57 PM »
Ok nintex but which alien did you fuck
Garrus kept busy with his calibrations and Jacob just wanted to fistbump, so only a true scholar and gentleman like Thane could melt the heart of Nazishep.
And of course you can't pass on Liara as the side chick.

🤴

Hamarr

« Reply #37197 on: July 25, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »

Yeah.  1 is a bit dated now.  At least the various non story related planets.  2 held up better than expected.  I got bored and switched gears from 3.  I am in the middle of the Omega DLC, I think.

I have been obsessed with Nintendo stuff lately.  This is what I usually do with their stuff.  But a bunch of new games, then get sidetracked with an older system.  I have been playing a ton of Twilight Princess and dabbling in Metroid Prime.  It’s interesting how slow some of the Zelda games seemed to start at the time, but compared to newer entries they get going relatively fast. Not counting Breath of the Wild.  I just got to the desert area. 

I bought Biomutant for the Xbox with rewards points funny money.  I played it for about a half hour and had to stop playing.  The controls felt like they were getting in the way.  Especially when I switched to guns and lost my target lock.  The camera controls feel ancient and clunky.  I died a couple of times just trying to keep things in focus so I could attack or dodge the right thing.

I might try again with a more melee focused class.  I had read melee sucked and guns were better but I much preferred melee combat, even if it wasn’t the greatest. This is definitely one of those cases where I should have listened to the reviews.  I was tempted by the many many screenshots posted in the subreddit.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37198 on: July 25, 2021, 06:22:42 PM »
I'm often surprised at just how the pacing differs so much in these games.

I got the same feeling from ME2 as I did playing RE4.
Just so much interesting stuff is happening in a relatively short period of time and ME2 has almost no repetition.
Each main story mission has a unique angle, a different faction to fight, a new location with new characters and a couple of new mechanics.

The only thing that takes away the speed is shooting probes to mine planets. Which is a slow and tedious process (especially if you don't have the upgrades).
It's still impressive how all your choices impact the gameplay and story. Getting an email from someone you saved in ME1 or hearing about your actions in a broadcast.
Playing as a renegade is very fun overall and ME2 is very streamlined compared to ME1 where they hadn't quite figured out the direction yet and it is very easy to break the balance of the game.
In that sense Andromeda is more like ME1 than ME2 and ME3. Playing the lovely mess that is ME1 I couldn't help but think about Cyberpunk, another 'they bit off more than they could chew' situation.

Compared to say a modern game like Assassins Creed Odyssey which I also enjoy there is a big difference in game design. In Odyssey I would say about ~10 hours of the game is 'shit happening' and 90 hours or more is just raiding forts, finding loot and playing around with the systems. I enjoy that too but a rollercoaster ride like Mass Effect 2 just hits different. And Mass Effect 2 despite not being open world is a massive game in its own right. My in-game timer broke but I must've easily hit the 60 - 80 hour mark.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37199 on: July 25, 2021, 06:53:23 PM »
I basically haven't touched a game in 2021 aside from It Takes Two (which was coop so kind of special circumstance).
Is it over?  :stahp
I'm gonna get around to RE8 at some point.
[close]