Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3592089 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #36960 on: May 30, 2021, 04:48:01 PM »
It looks like a very chill game  :aah
🤴

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #36961 on: May 30, 2021, 05:34:39 PM »
Got 100% map/item completion in Ori and the Blind Forest but still need to grind for XP for the remaining 5 skill points I need. Very lame. Hard mode apparently made the skills require more points :( Hard mode made the game a lot less fun so I regret playing it on that difficulty. The game was a lot more chill after I beat it, and took the difficulty down to easy for exploration. I didn't like the game enough to bother with the speedrun and no death achievements. Will definitely give the sequel a go though if its an improvement.

Gave Hollow Knight another go and I think it has "clicked" for me now. Its so, so good. So I'll be playing this for the forseeable future. Looks like a BIG game with a ton of content

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36962 on: May 30, 2021, 06:15:46 PM »
Beeg game lots of content is sort of common now.

Maybe that's why I'm enjoying Resident Evil 4 + 5 so much.
12 - 15 hour action romps that you can pace easily by playing a couple of chapters at a time.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36963 on: May 30, 2021, 07:32:22 PM »
Got 100% map/item completion in Ori and the Blind Forest but still need to grind for XP for the remaining 5 skill points I need. Very lame. Hard mode apparently made the skills require more points :( Hard mode made the game a lot less fun so I regret playing it on that difficulty. The game was a lot more chill after I beat it, and took the difficulty down to easy for exploration. I didn't like the game enough to bother with the speedrun and no death achievements. Will definitely give the sequel a go though if its an improvement.

Gave Hollow Knight another go and I think it has "clicked" for me now. Its so, so good. So I'll be playing this for the forseeable future. Looks like a BIG game with a ton of content

I don't remember if you answered this, but did you play Ori 2?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #36964 on: May 30, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »
So after a few more hours with Realpolitiks I realized that the actual game goals are shit, US and China are the only feasible nations for real, nobody else can build a big enough economic or population base with enough regions for production. They added other game goals but they're mostly war based.

But it's kinda fun doing my own goals. Last two spins I've tried rebuilding former empires but as democracies. I tried rebuilding the Caliphate as a democracy but could only unify the entire Arabian Peninsula, Eritrea and Djibouti together under my Swiss-like democracy, Israel steadfastly refused to join. I was way more successful with a rebuilding of the Ottoman Empire, I had it from the borders of Hungary through Greece out to Azerbaijan and Lebanon, all as a democracy. No wars to unify any of these states, only diplomatic annexations after forming blocs and unions. Now I'm wondering if I should tinker with Indonesia to build some kind of counter-China democratic empire in Southeast Asia or rebuild the Third Reich BUT AS A SWISS-LIKE DEMOCRACY I EMPHASISE before finally deciding I'm tired of this.

Oh, but also, this is one of the loading screens:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:56:32 PM by benjipwns »

Bebpo

« Reply #36965 on: May 30, 2021, 09:02:02 PM »
So that Lofi Ping Pong game's story is fucked up bullshit and I actively dislike it.

The main character I guess has cancer or something and is dying in a hospital and the ping pong is in her mind as her last moments of life coming to grips with being angry at the world for dying and then accepting it and the it cuts to her flatlining and the credits roll
[close]

Like since I associate the lofi scene with depression, I don't even think that's a healthy story to be telling people.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36966 on: May 30, 2021, 09:22:48 PM »
So that Lofi Ping Pong game's story is fucked up bullshit and I actively dislike it.

The main character I guess has cancer or something and is dying in a hospital and the ping pong is in her mind as her last moments of life coming to grips with being angry at the world for dying and then accepting it and the it cuts to her flatlining and the credits roll
[close]

Like since I associate the lofi scene with depression, I don't even think that's a healthy story to be telling people.

I think I would be actively angry at the game if I was playing something to relax and chill and then it dropped that bummer of an ending on me

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #36967 on: May 30, 2021, 11:45:18 PM »

Nah, gonna give it a shot soon though :) I ended up liking Ori 1 a bit by the end, especially the graphics and music. I just didn't love the game. The sequel is on Gamepass so will take for a spin after I'm done with Hollow Knight

Bebpo

« Reply #36968 on: May 30, 2021, 11:50:33 PM »

Nah, gonna give it a shot soon though :) I ended up liking Ori 1 a bit by the end, especially the graphics and music. I just didn't love the game. The sequel is on Gamepass so will take for a spin after I'm done with Hollow Knight

Yeah, I have a feeling you'll like 2 more.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #36969 on: May 31, 2021, 01:08:23 AM »
Been really into Battlefield V. One didn't grab me, and regular old conquest is p average in BFV but Outpost is great and quite like Breakthrough. Outpost is definitely my jam though, I don't really like just spawning on whatever base your team controls in Conquest and imo it kinda fucks with map design and voids the use of some classes. Having to properly squad up using recon snipers for spawns, medics and engineers for resupply (I actually often only die 3-4 times in a match in outpost vs frequently dying in the more hectic conquest) and taking out an opposing squad on a base/tower is actually feasible solo or as a group as reinforcements can't just spawn in. Great mode, really unfortunate the most common game type is conquest. Really enjoyed the few Grand Operations I've played too
◕‿◕

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #36970 on: May 31, 2021, 11:44:38 AM »
Finished Golden Sun GBA it was a perfectly OK JRPG. I think it'd be an amazing game for a completionist. But with all the missable Djinn and how much harder it makes the game to not have a good selection it's not great for someone trying to blast through it. Especially since the only way to get around on the world map to get things you might have missed 90% is backtracking on foot.  The story was honestly so cliche it doesn't hold up, Lucas could've been the main character for all I Knew. Yet for all the cliche story the cut scenes were really quite long (and unskippable). I can totally see if I was way younger playing this and hadn't had a ton of JRPG experience already it would've been really awesome. But at this point in my life, it's been done better. Perfectly servicable, but there's better experiences out there, story doesn't stand out, combat system doesn't stand out, nothing really grabs you and puts it above every other servicable JRPG of that era. It's fine.
que

Coax

« Reply #36971 on: May 31, 2021, 01:53:29 PM »

[close]

Interesting. I wonder how it's handled and whether my reaction would be the different.

As Flying Lotus has a track named Table Tennis in which he blended in samples of his late mother's hospital equipment, which I wasn't aware of until one day stumbling across some comments about it. At the time I thought the comments about how it touched them were a bit overblown until a particular person passed and upon re-visiting it after a few repeats began to really hit me.

Bebpo

« Reply #36972 on: May 31, 2021, 02:01:45 PM »
Finished Golden Sun GBA it was a perfectly OK JRPG. I think it'd be an amazing game for a completionist. But with all the missable Djinn and how much harder it makes the game to not have a good selection it's not great for someone trying to blast through it. Especially since the only way to get around on the world map to get things you might have missed 90% is backtracking on foot.  The story was honestly so cliche it doesn't hold up, Lucas could've been the main character for all I Knew. Yet for all the cliche story the cut scenes were really quite long (and unskippable). I can totally see if I was way younger playing this and hadn't had a ton of JRPG experience already it would've been really awesome. But at this point in my life, it's been done better. Perfectly servicable, but there's better experiences out there, story doesn't stand out, combat system doesn't stand out, nothing really grabs you and puts it above every other servicable JRPG of that era. It's fine.

Yeah, my recollection of Golden Sun was it was a pretty cookie cutter jrpg but had amazing graphics at the time for GBA with really impressive summons and stuff. It was fun enough but I don't think anyone cared about the story.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36973 on: May 31, 2021, 02:25:51 PM »
Golden Sun was always sort of mediocre and with Dark Dawn of whatever it was called they could no longer hide it.
Unlike Dark Dawn the GBA games weren't as boring though. I always thought they were a nice throwback to classic SNES RPG's.
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #36974 on: May 31, 2021, 05:46:15 PM »
I tried to play it twice, and each time the bloated dialogue turned me off.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #36975 on: May 31, 2021, 06:24:53 PM »
Anyone played 13 sentinel? Some hours in now and I am liking it more than I thought. Not quite the narrative amazement that some hyped it up to be yet though, but well, i'm still far from completing it. Think it looks real pretty.

Bebpo

« Reply #36976 on: May 31, 2021, 06:55:30 PM »
Anyone played 13 sentinel? Some hours in now and I am liking it more than I thought. Not quite the narrative amazement that some hyped it up to be yet though, but well, i'm still far from completing it. Think it looks real pretty.

Yeah, it's a really great VN. One of the best games last year.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36977 on: May 31, 2021, 11:51:37 PM »
13 Sentinels is a waste of time, even for a VN

Play something else instead
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36978 on: June 01, 2021, 12:24:06 AM »

:wtf

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #36979 on: June 01, 2021, 10:41:58 AM »
I think I might be more team Demi on this one. The art style is beautiful and tower defense pretty good. I just don't really get the VN sections, it's pixel hunting to unlock the next thing and none of your choices really matter, so why take up my time with it? Sorta feels like they gotta figure out how to incorporate that better. It feels like it wants to be an Anime that has game segments rather than a VN/Tower defense game. That being said I'm only 5-8 hours in, my mileage may vary as I get farther

I'm still about 4 hours into Ryza 1 it's nice and relaxing but I keep waiting for it to take off cause this burn is rather slow.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36980 on: June 01, 2021, 11:28:57 AM »

:wtf

Shibuya Scramble > 13 Sentinels
fat

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #36981 on: June 01, 2021, 05:01:23 PM »
i prefer my waifus in 2d, thanks.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36982 on: June 04, 2021, 12:18:31 PM »
Still playing Berseria, finally consulted a guide and it looks like I'm in the home stretch. About 55 hours in.
just escaped the earthpulse after the abbey raids your base
[close]

Really like the game, especially the characters and how you're playing as the 'bad guys', but there are some parts where it feels kinda slow and draining - the dungeons have been getting overly long, there are too many 'go 5 steps to get to another cinema/skit', quite a bit of backtracking (and the 'fast travel' hoverboard controls like ass and doesn't move you all that much faster) and the plot slowed down a bit in the mid game thingamabob hunt.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #36983 on: June 05, 2021, 02:35:45 AM »
The jankiness of Judgment is unintentionally pretty hilarious. I love how you just bump into everything in the small interiors and are walking around trashing the places as you go  :lol

Also is Judgment basically just Ace Attorney Yakuza?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36984 on: June 05, 2021, 02:52:18 AM »
Not at all, that is doing Ace Attorney a huge disservice. Judgment is "do the same tail bullshit for 50 hours"
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36985 on: June 05, 2021, 03:05:42 AM »
I mean it's not like the AA games didn't have their own padded repetitive issues as well...

But yeah I'm about 3-4 hours into Judgment and it's enjoyable but it feels like a step down from the main Yakuza games in every aspect. Yagami doesn't seem as interesting/likeable/fun as any of the main Yakuza leads and gameplay is just like bad Yakuza mini-games and the story is a lot of going over the same set of facts over and over and over again (which to be fair Ace Attorney does as well. They have bad issues with this in their procedurals).

The lawyer/courtroom/procedural stuff being different than normal Yakuza seems like the main draw. I'm getting some of that same AA vibe from it which is the most enjoyable part.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36986 on: June 05, 2021, 01:56:43 PM »
Finished Resident Evil 5 and the two bonus chapters.

Resident Evil games in general are pretty crazy but this game just takes the cake. I had forgotten half of it.
My favorite content is probably Desperate Escape. Where you play as Jill and Josh escaping the island.
The worst part is Lost in Nightmares where you have to replay Chris/Jill's missions to arrest Spencer.
The first 30 minutes or so is just walking around an empty mansion.

The main issue with this game is that everything it did was done better in Resident Evil 4 and the co-op elements don't really add anything.
You can't expand the inventory so you're constantly swapping items around. It doesn't help that two vest upgrades also take up two inventory spots.

At the end the game forgets the adventure and horror elements and just sends dudes with AK 47's after you.
It doesn't really have any memorable areas either. The part in the town is rather short, then you move into the caves and finally a big hidden facility which takes up most of the game.
Some boss fights are also just turret fights or QTE's. Really strange.

But between the BSAA bois simping for Jill, Wesker doing his best Agent Smith impression and Chris being literally a tank the game is very fun to play overall.
Not sure if it's worth to replay the whole thing, just watch the cut scenes and the Jill/Wesker fights on YouTube.  :lol

Oh and Capcom's research into Africa kinda stopped at: "Black people live there" and watching Black Hawk Down a lot.
It was smart to include Sheva who is deeply concerned about what is happening to her people and the country 'Africa'  :yeshrug
Perhaps the BSAA should change their objectives to preventing an outbreak to happen instead of waiting for a virus to spread and then kill everybody.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36987 on: June 05, 2021, 09:28:12 PM »
Against my own advice, been doing all the sidequests in Nier Replicant. Dunno why since I already beat the original.

So.much.grinding.mats.

Whether it's animals going back and forth between loading screens to respawn over and over or fishing over and over, wasting so many hours of life on these mat grinding things. I really need to just move on...it all started with wanting to upgrade my weapons to kill things quicker.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36988 on: June 06, 2021, 03:51:56 PM »
Against my own advice, been doing all the sidequests in Nier Replicant. Dunno why since I already beat the original.

So.much.grinding.mats.

Whether it's animals going back and forth between loading screens to respawn over and over or fishing over and over, wasting so many hours of life on these mat grinding things. I really need to just move on...it all started with wanting to upgrade my weapons to kill things quicker.

Oh god, and the damn book is probably complaining about it too  :doge
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #36989 on: June 06, 2021, 06:27:33 PM »
Wow..  DQXI really is old school JRPG.  :lol Enjoying it so far.

« Reply #36990 on: June 06, 2021, 09:41:50 PM »
Almost done with Yakuza 0 on chapter 11 and have almost won all the cabarets with Majima. Will probably do some more sub stories before I move to Kiwami 1

Hit level 61 in Burning Crusade on my Warlock (slow going there)

Also just started Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, had it for ps4 but didnt get into it, trying again now and its nice to just chill in bed with my gaming laptop and a pad, maybe thats why im liking it more?

Also looking to get into some adventure game, maybe silicon dreams or something indie ish on steam (cyberpunk, or twin peakish, or Horror point and click like Fran Bow, or The Cat Lady).

I play maybe an hour or two of gaming a night, and maybe 4 or so on friday / sat / sun so I like to have a bit of everything to choose from, I rarely get fixated on any one game for longer than an hour at a time, but sometimes Yakuza done grabs me and 3 hours dissappears lol.

Bebpo

« Reply #36991 on: June 06, 2021, 10:43:26 PM »
Beat the 1st chapter in Judgment

I like the story stuff, like usual with Yakuza games. The sidequest writing is funny too like usual.
Mini-games are all fairly terrible but if you're not OCD completionist (which would drive anyone insane in these games) they're short enough.

Camera is pretty terrible in all the small stairways and small rooms. Graphics are ok, I'm pretty tired of Kamurocho as a map. Wish this took place in a new map location because I do enjoy the detective work stuff. Hopefully Judgment 2 is in a new city?

That said the combat is not clicking with me at all. It seems so much worse playing combat than the mainline Yakuza games. I hate the basic ppppk combos in both stances, they don't feel good flow. I think I just need to upgrade combo speed and buy some moves. Also this whole mortal wound thing is fucking dumb.

Also Yagami doesn't Karaoke, so he's magnitudes lamer than any of the mainline Yakuza leads.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36992 on: June 06, 2021, 10:57:25 PM »
Cant wait till you meet the Keihin Gang : )

Over

and

Over
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36993 on: June 06, 2021, 11:10:28 PM »
Cant wait till you meet the Keihin Gang : )

Over

and

Over

Are these the boss guys on the map I've heard about?

Bebpo

« Reply #36994 on: June 07, 2021, 01:45:34 AM »
In Nier Replicant at 49% sidequests with a few areas left in part 1, so I think I'm just about done with all these sidequests. I never did most of them back in the original, so as much as the mat grinding sucks, some of them are fun to see for their stories and world building. Guess I'll be going for 100% this time around.

I'm at 11 hours now, so probably finish part 1 around 13-15 hours. Considering I remember beating the entire game of the original in 15 hours, seems like doing the sidequests basically doubles the length to ~30 hour game first run. At least with all this stuff done in the first run, the other runs should still be quick (I'm assuming I'll get almost all the weapons in this first run so the 3rd run should be short still).

One difference is that I am LOADED WITH MONEY from doing all these sidequests and all the other mats I get during my RNG mat grinding + I'm actually farming this time around which I never bothered with in the original. Should be set pretty soon to just buy all mats I can and weapons for the rest of the game/runs.

Though I will say that if it's your first time playing Nier, skipping the sidequests outside the boar tusk one at the beginning is the right choice for the first run. Nier is very much a story game and with sidequests the pacing just dies. It becomes one of those games were you do 1-2 hours of story and then run around doing 2-3 hours of sidequests, then 1-2 hour story pop, 2-3 hour sidequests, etc... probably best to just run the main story for ending A/B and then do the long sidequest run on C/D.

I am getting pretty tempted playing this to replay Automata. I wasn't a big fan at release and it felt like a let down from Nier. Way worse story/writing/characters, less memorable music, only the gameplay/combat/graphics were better. (also the 2nd run route B was terrible). Over time though, and thanks to the FFXIV Nier Automata raid over the past year, Automata's plot has grown on me and I wouldn't mind giving it another shot right after I finish up Replicant.

Replicant as a whole...it looks pretty nice artistically. And the 60fps is great. The arrangements are neat, most are fairly similar, but some stuff like The Aerie sound totally different here. Brother Nier isn't as good as Papa Nier, but he's grown on me a lot and I think he's still good. Kaine's face looks too weird and doll-ish. But overall like SoTC Remake and Demon Soul's remake, and Zone of the Enders 2 HD, this is a great way to keep a classic game very playable for another decade for returning players and new fans.

My only disappointment with this remake is the combat. The original combat was basic af and all you did was slash slash slash while using your magic attacks and dodge rolling. It was servicable, but very shallow. Here they had the chance to bring the combat to Automata standards with combos and juggles and a decent amount of moves in a basic character action way...but they didn't bother. The combat is smoother and feels better but you only have a few more slashes than the original. You have light attack x 3, heavy attack x 3, jumping light, jumping heavy, block -> light counter, block -> heavy counter and roll -> light, roll -> heavy and that's it. I thought maybe you'd get more moves as the game went along, but nope, you basically just have slash slash slash like the original the whole game except now you have light attack slash slash slash and heavy attack slash slash slash for guarding enemies. It's pretty disappointing they didn't do anything to make the combat more engaging. The magic attacks seem the same as before and there's still no reason to use any besides the bullet one and lance one.

So in the end it's basically the original game, but better looking, 60fps, with some slight tweaks, very slightly better combat and slight new content (ending E is ~40 mins of new content I've been told and the one mermaid episode is probably less). So it's basically Nier, for better or worse. Replaying it now there are definitely some bits that do not hold up that well (barren temple no run room -_-), but a lot of it does still hold up like a real classic.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36995 on: June 07, 2021, 07:40:04 AM »

This is pretty fun!  Reminds me a lot of Metal Slug once things get going.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36996 on: June 07, 2021, 11:19:04 AM »
Just been vegging out on Borderlands 3 this past week, playing it on XSX. This is my first play-thru, but I went ahead and bought all the DLC while it was still on-sale. Made it up to Chapter 13, where you're retaking Eden-6 for Jakobs. I also did some of the DLC, like the Japan/Old West planet and Ava's podcast. The plot and humor is whatever but the guns go brrrrrrrrrrrr.
©@©™

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #36997 on: June 07, 2021, 05:18:16 PM »
took me a few sessions to get into it, but cuphead is so fun and addictive. for sure tough, but fair and not actually as punishing as other run and guns i've tried to play :p v glad i finally picked this up. also just started RDR2 and bought YS VIII. loving returning to the wild wild west with arthur morgan.

been a lot of stuff i want to play on sale on PSN. might pick up sekiro as well despite that i won't be getting to it for a while
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36998 on: June 07, 2021, 06:15:19 PM »
An interactive Ben Garrison cartoon lmao

🤴

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #36999 on: June 08, 2021, 01:20:05 AM »
Played a bit of the Division 2 and holy shit is it a mess. The UI and menus are an absolute dumpster fire of pure clutter. I liked the first game, even got the plat, but apparently their design decision process with the sequel was to throw more of everything into the game. 
jon

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37000 on: June 08, 2021, 02:17:37 AM »
Div2 is a big step up from 1 in my opinion.
I mean the UI is a mess, but i thought it was so in 1, as well.
At least now you don't have to go around looting scopes for every single gun, also enemies are much less spongy, at least not until late end-game stuff comes along.

Probably why i put 100+ hours into 2, and could barely get to 20 hours on 1.

Bebpo

« Reply #37001 on: June 08, 2021, 04:30:29 AM »
Almost done with Fantasian.

Mistwalker's still a shadow of itself since Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey though I hear Terra Battle was good. Great art, crappy tedious slow gameplay. This reminds me of Ash but maybe worse playing. Very 6/10.

Probably will skip the second half when it comes out and just skim a youtube walkthrough.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37002 on: June 08, 2021, 05:08:03 AM »
Played a bit of the Division 2 and holy shit is it a mess. The UI and menus are an absolute dumpster fire of pure clutter. I liked the first game, even got the plat, but apparently their design decision process with the sequel was to throw more of everything into the game. 
My pet hate with sequels is developers that think we want more complexity.

Nope. Streamline that shit and give me the good parts and remove the parts that didn't work.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37003 on: June 08, 2021, 06:58:20 AM »
Again, Div2 streamlined a lot of bullshit from Div1.
Like how weapon attachments work.

Though through the years, with a million updates and expansions, these online games tend to get a lot of bloat back.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #37004 on: June 08, 2021, 10:58:49 AM »
True about attachments. I dont have a problem with the shooting and the enemies are less bullet spongy, its more knowing what to do next. There are notifications on every screen telling me stuff to do, makes me feel like an old person lol. I didnt expect to feel as confused as i do, given that i platinumed the first game. Its possible i havent reached the critical mass point of info saturation, im only level 20
jon

Borealis

« Reply #37005 on: June 08, 2021, 11:14:55 AM »
Div 2 definitely took a step back on the UI front. The map being inaccessible from the main menu set of cards has to be up there in stupid design decisions. Stuff like having to press down on emotes instead of hover and release (like in Div 1) is pretty silly.

I liked most of the changes from Div 1. Don't think these major characters/plot developments were given justice through the WONY expansion Seasons of modified/reused content, but that's telling me we won't be seeing Div 3 anytime in the next couple of years at least.

Silly fuckers trying to jiggle PVP balancing onto PVE with a much worser Dark Zone implementation (three, split small zones lol), especially with Red Storm departing earlier, didn't help.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37006 on: June 08, 2021, 09:03:31 PM »
An interactive Ben Garrison cartoon lmao

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Are your character's trousers on backwards?

« Reply #37007 on: June 08, 2021, 10:08:10 PM »
Fallen into the MTG: Arena hole. Progression was very slow until I found out that none of the previous promotion packs expired so I managed to get like 20 something packs. Opening all of them gave me hella cards and hella wild cards as well. I'm 6 mythic rares  :'( away from a complete STRONG deck, but my other decks are pretty good as well. Anyone wanna fight?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37008 on: June 08, 2021, 10:19:35 PM »
I am occasionally playing MtG: Arena, but I am super early days, and don't need my ephemeral enthusiasm ragdolled by you using me as a mop.  :P

« Reply #37009 on: June 08, 2021, 10:45:56 PM »
I'm honestly kinda bad at it!

archnemesis

« Reply #37010 on: June 09, 2021, 02:32:22 AM »
I still play Arena most days. The latest set is great for drafting and I'm looking forward to next month's Dungeons & Dragons set.

Bebpo

« Reply #37011 on: June 09, 2021, 05:03:03 AM »
Alright, beat Sakaguchi's Fantasian Pt.1

Part 2 promises a more open-ended adventure. Part 1 is basically FF13's first half. At the end of the game you get a

[gameplay spoiler]
skill grid
[close]

That you can't really use and is just a tease for a more non-linear part 2 in the fall/winter.

I found all the fights designed in really pulling teeth tedious ways. I guess some find that fun and challenging, but it wasn't hard, just felt dragged out. Like most of the final bosses you have 3 party members but you have to be dealing with healing and debuffs and buffs bullshit every turn so only 1 character can ever attack and they can't do much damage so the fights go on for 10+ minutes repeating the same shit every turn.

And the encounter rate is fucking insane. They give you this holder to hold 30-40 enemies from random encounters at a time and then fight them all at once. But like on the last pre-rendered screen, I racked up 70+ enemies just getting treasures and doing story stuff. Each 30-40 enemy battle emptying the enemy holder took about 5-10 minutes just because it's so many goddamn enemies. It's not hard at all, it's just really tedious since it fills so quickly because the encounter rate is awful.

Mistwalker is weird. It'd be one thing to make a studio that is stuck in the 90s making games that take the best parts of the 90s, but these games feel like they cherry pick some of the worst aspects of older jrpgs and use those instead.

Story was ok, characters are kinda charming, music is a weak Uematsu score, very short and simple tracks, I hear he's been sick :( the graphics and art are excellent. Game is also pretty short, took me 16:30, but it felt like 50 hours given the pacing. It's a small low budget game, only 3 towns. 2nd part seems like it will mostly just be re-using them as well.

The game also commits the sin of stealing your characters after you've invested time in leveling their stuff and gearing them and getting used to their playstyle in your team.

I'd give this part a 7/10 being extra generous.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37012 on: June 09, 2021, 05:10:18 AM »
I'm honestly kinda bad at it!

chronovore#68729

archnemesis

« Reply #37013 on: June 09, 2021, 05:33:10 AM »
Archnemesis#30506

I often play weaker decks for fun. You can challenge me without having a large collection.

« Reply #37014 on: June 09, 2021, 07:39:00 AM »
Ok, sent a friend request to both of you.

Bebpo

« Reply #37015 on: June 10, 2021, 03:14:02 AM »
FF7 PS5 looks pretty nice. Not only the 60fps but the lighting effects & pristine IQ make an already impressive looking game even moreso. Won't replay it because replaying rpgs until they're old and forgotten is whatever,

But started the Yuffie DLC and oh man she plays like an FF14 Ninja job. As an FF14 NIN main seeing that rotation with this visual flourish is  :D
Nice arrangement of her theme song.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37016 on: June 10, 2021, 07:56:29 AM »
Have they touched up some of the rougher textures?
(ice)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37017 on: June 10, 2021, 08:08:04 AM »
They fixed the door. That much I know. Cowards

Bebpo

« Reply #37018 on: June 10, 2021, 02:31:55 PM »
Have they touched up some of the rougher textures?

I'm weird in that I never noticed a single ugly thing in my playthrough of FF7 remake last year. Was one of the best looking console games I've ever seen from start to finish. I don't expect videogames to have sharp detailed textures on every object in an environment. That's never really been a thing, especially in jrpgs.

That being said I play on a 1080p tv so maybe that hides stuff that would look bad on a larger tv.

Bebpo

« Reply #37019 on: June 10, 2021, 02:35:41 PM »
Anyhow, Yuffie reminds me that FF needs to go back to having archetype job characters in the cast for single player FFs. Outside the MMOs, I think the last time we got an FF Ninja job/class in the team was...the original FF7? The last time we got a Samurai job was...Aaron? The last Dragoon was??

Fuck this real people who do various attacks & magic shit. Give me FF Job characters. Black Mages, White Mages, Time Mages, Dragoons, Gunners, Archers, Ninjas.

Like FF16 should have a medieval ninja, because fuck realism.