Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3588821 times)

SmokyDave

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #36840 on: May 02, 2021, 06:10:34 AM »
Still regularly playing Thief Simulator on Switch. I finished the game a long time ago, but I still can’t put it down. I don’t even need to steal because there’s nothing left for me to buy, but it’s just so much fun. Best £1.79 I’ve ever spent.

Picked up Boris The Rocket last night, again on Switch. Started playing it and it’s definitely my kind of thing, but I think it’s going to be a bit too stressful for my evening chill. I got to a point last night where I had no missiles left, no idea how to produce missiles, and no time at all to figure it out. It was essentially ‘game over’ so I’ll start again from scratch today. Fun game though, just rattling around in a missile silo defending the motherland.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #36841 on: May 02, 2021, 07:40:15 AM »
Your post just reminded me that I have Thief Simulator on switch.  I should play that...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36842 on: May 02, 2021, 07:33:54 PM »

:dice
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #36843 on: May 02, 2021, 08:00:52 PM »
So Alyx is really fucking awesome. Could only play it like one and a half hours, and my head is spinning too much from VR now... but I cant wait to play more tomorrow.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #36844 on: May 02, 2021, 09:33:09 PM »
Yeah man, last year's GOTY without a doubt.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #36845 on: May 02, 2021, 11:12:05 PM »
Played a game of Humankind in the beta, got destroyed by the Celts->English. Will have to play some more on the lower difficulties before it expires. Some components are really not clear yet and the tutorial isn't there yet either. Took me literal ages to figure out when and how to build my first city. :lol Also took me way too long to figure out how to attack, you have to issue a command not just move the unit to a shared tile. Survived a series of sieges though because the battles take terrain into account pretty well, was able to block up and hold for long enough to exhaust the siege. The city building and civics stuff I didn't get much into because of that lack of cities thing but it does have a nice queue system. It's basically a take on Civ 7 though, which I'm not complaining about! I'll probably wind up getting hundreds of hours of it in the end, maybe thousands. It certainly wasn't crap, just not as different as I expected.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36846 on: May 03, 2021, 12:14:14 AM »
Playing Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons with my daughter on PS4. She's really enjoying it, but I wish they had implemented the co-op mode from the Switch version on the PS4. Sharing a controller gets tiring, so we have only done that a little bit.
Spud

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36847 on: May 03, 2021, 12:31:13 AM »

Maybe time to play the OFFICIAL sequel next?

fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36848 on: May 03, 2021, 12:48:24 AM »
RW was alright back in the DS days, but it wasn't good and only got by on the FFXII connection. Wouldn't really recommend.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36849 on: May 03, 2021, 01:09:37 AM »
Probably way more enjoyable if only for the fact I dont have to google, wiki, gamefaqs every single fucking thing in the game like Zodiac Age

"want to hunt this monster? be in this zone when the minutes section of your timer is between 0 - 10"

Excuse me? Lmfao

Shit game
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36850 on: May 03, 2021, 01:14:40 AM »
I don't think RTS games are enjoyable on any device,
especially not on DS hardware limits.

You...know it's an RTS, right?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36851 on: May 03, 2021, 01:20:23 AM »
You mean I can employ actual strategy and placement of my characters unlike shit Zodiac Age? Sounds great!
fat

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36852 on: May 03, 2021, 01:55:37 AM »
Mom hid my game 2 is just as much fun as the first one. Playing it with my daughter and there are some genuinely funny moments.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:55:21 AM by Potato »
Spud

Freyj

« Reply #36853 on: May 03, 2021, 02:13:03 AM »
Also just picked up and tried the Alliance Alive HD remaster on Switch. This seems...really good? Like it looks better than BD2 from an artstyle perspective even though it's a DS or 3DS game port up, and the gameplay systems seem numerous and good with a lot of strategy options. Music seems nice too and writing is Murayama. Feel like I'd play this before BD2 or even Octopath Traveler.

Alliance Alive and Legend of Legacy are both fine as SaGa-likes, but Legacy definitely feels more like someone making a SaGa game and Alliance Alive feels like somewhere between that and Bravely Default.

The Last Remnant is easily my favorite of the games you mentioned, but the SaGa DS remakes are great too. 3 DS has a mostly finished beta patch floating around.

Svejk

« Reply #36854 on: May 03, 2021, 09:30:58 AM »
Only have World 4-4 and whatever end game stuff is left after in Demon's Souls.  Bosses have been pretty easy in the game, but I'm completely fine with that.  It's definitely more of a challenge just getting to them.  Playing through DS3 before, it's interesting to see how much they've improved from building upon DeS core.  Game is still fantastic.  The caliber of this Remake is nothing short of stellar.  I would be fine with full remakes of the other Souls titles and BB.  They all deserve this treatment.   I need to wrap it up this weekend so I can get on that Returnal.  The short 30-45 minute play of Returnal has resonated so much, I haven't stopped thinking about it since.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #36855 on: May 03, 2021, 10:43:01 AM »

I wouldnt disagree from the 3 hours I've played. Fuck me it's good.

But running out of ammo and having headcrabs after me.  :juchesad

Bring me back the first 5 min when I could write cum on a wall instead

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36856 on: May 03, 2021, 11:32:17 AM »
Also just picked up and tried the Alliance Alive HD remaster on Switch. This seems...really good? Like it looks better than BD2 from an artstyle perspective even though it's a DS or 3DS game port up, and the gameplay systems seem numerous and good with a lot of strategy options. Music seems nice too and writing is Murayama. Feel like I'd play this before BD2 or even Octopath Traveler.

I really liked Alliance Alive, especially the map exploration (with the hang-gliding) and recruiting characters for the different guilds (very Suikoden-esque), but the last quarter of the game feels extremely rushed and underdeveloped. With some more time and budget, a followup could be really good.
^_^

« Reply #36857 on: May 03, 2021, 04:20:28 PM »
So Alyx is really fucking awesome. Could only play it like one and a half hours, and my head is spinning too much from VR now... but I cant wait to play more tomorrow.

Got my index set up last week but only played about 10 minutes of Alyx. Now I’m not one of those who needs everything in VR, but I must say I was like whoaaaaa in the intro when that strider comes zooming in, and tapping the glass with that bug in a jar that tapped back.

Man I’d love love love for some sorta cyberpunk walking sim, I have constant vertigo due to inner ear problems, so I don’t think I’ll ever be max payne diving around in vr, but I was surprised that VR didn’t make me dizzy (well anymore off balance than I already feel irl).  :P

That paint gun was probably the most impressive thing I saw in my half hour playing with the index so far tho.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #36858 on: May 03, 2021, 05:43:25 PM »

I wouldnt disagree from the 3 hours I've played. Fuck me it's good.

But running out of ammo and having headcrabs after me.  :juchesad

Bring me back the first 5 min when I could write cum on a wall instead
Gotta scour those trashcans and line up your shots with care. :doge
Bullet management becomes less of a burden later on, but i enjoyed counting every bullet and trying to be creative with that kind of stuff (like using explosive barrels and such).

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #36859 on: May 05, 2021, 03:04:34 PM »
Finish Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES) and I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand it's captivating and addicting and a load of fun
On the other, it's very much flawed in that typical Matsuno-creating-an-obtuse-game-system-with-little-explanation way. Sorta like Vagrant Story's whole weapons systems but a bit less in your face.

In order to get the best ending you really have to manage your reputation, which means you can't have strong units killing weak enemies, you can't lose a city you've taken, and you have to make sure the right type of character takes over the right kind of city.  There's really very little about this in game, you have to look up a manual to get any sort of explanation about it, but at the same time given the nature of the game it's totally possible to get royally screwed on reputation through no fault of your own. For example: Every time you take a city you get a tarot card, these can help with increasing stats like +1 STR but can also hurt. In one chapter I drew three cards in a row that lowered my reputation by 3 each, then in a bit of further bad luck I messed up and left a city sparsely defended  and it got taken over for <1 minute but the damage was done. My reputation went from Hero to Villain in one chapter and largely through no major fault of my own.  Further still, you don't have complete control of your units, you do tell them where to go and such but the game will punish you for having high level units kill low level ones, but the thing is your unit can totally get attacked by a low level unit all the time. So by just playing the game you ruin your reputation, or you have to essentially hold your higher level characters, put them somewhere where they wont fight anyone then fly them around taking over towns after your clear the board. Which brings up another issue in that in the last level it totally undoes the whole flow of battle from other levels in that usually you would bring up your units. Start staking your territory and defend it from the enemy while growing your take until you've cleared out enough enemies to go to the boss. However, in the last battle there's an infinite number of enemies, and there's nothing that will tell you that. I tried to stay away from the internet on this game to enjoy it, but after being on this level for hours and still seeing enemy after enemy come I looked it up and saw it was practically infinite and instead of staking out a claim I should've just rushed the boss.  And then while you're fighitng the boss it'll still be spawning new enemies so that whole fight was really long and hard.

But despite all that, I still really really love the game. And I can totally see how back in the day I would've loved to spend the time to get the perfect run and get all the endings (of which there are 12). But not enough time as an adult to chase that all down. Think I'll move to Tactics ogre: let us all cling together next.
que

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36860 on: May 05, 2021, 05:44:07 PM »
Tried a bunch of new things on Xbox today

Tekken 7 - Season Pass 1 - 3
Season Pass 4 got me into Tekken again. Today the Ultimate Edition was available for 20 Euro which includes Season Pass 1 + 2 and Season Pass 3 was 50% off.
Needless to say about 40 Euro got me the rest of Tekken 7. Landing the total spend on the game (including the 4th Season Pass and my physical copy on a sale at ~75 Euro.
The content is pretty meaty with all 3 season passes added but I'm a bit dissapointed that they didn't extend the single player story with new characters and cut scenes.
Most of these new characters have unique fighting styles and you get some nice new costumes  ;), so if you liked Tekken 7 the DLC is well worth it. I have yet to try out the bowling mode.

Need for Speed: HEAT
LMAO just give up EA. I downloaded this from GamePass and this is absolute garbage. Deleted after 2 races. Handling sucks. The camera is either too far away or too close and overall the graphics are a mess especially in the open world. The game also feels slow no matter how fast you drive. Forza Horizon 3 + 4 shit all over this. Even the characters you can pick from are all lame. At night it looks a bit better but then the screen becomes kinda hard to read with everything that's going on. Also they made the HUD and menus very tiny for no reason combined with a blockly font and a lot of white on light grey and no letter spacing that means you can hardly read anything. The soundtrack is lame too. Glad I didn't spend any money it.

Valkyria Chronicles 4
Was on sale for 15 and I wanted to buy it for a while. So far its early days so not very challenging but the mechanics are very promising and it seems they made quite a bit of improvements compared to the first game. Played 2 missions and had a good time. The story is engaging so far, the visual style is interesting and the gameplay works very well. Soundtrack is stellar too. If you like the series or strategy RPG's in general it is certainly worth picking up at this price.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36861 on: May 06, 2021, 06:06:50 AM »
I wish they had crossplay for Tekken 7. I mean what the fuck, why doesnt it have it?

I bought Kunimitsu and Farkukarahang or whatever his name is. They were on sale for 'only' 2,99 per character. Considering none of the other chars really interest me, decent deal.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36862 on: May 06, 2021, 01:36:30 PM »
Tekken 7 already lags like hell on just Xbox so I don't think cross play will do it much good.

I'm mostly playing Arcade mode and treasure battles. Online this late in the game is just constantly getting your ass kicked by pro players  :lol
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36863 on: May 06, 2021, 01:46:18 PM »
Nah man go online, i ever boot it up once in a lonely moon. Just do ranked battle, search for around your skill and set connection to 4+. Youll get plenty of noobs to bash 😂. Its hilarious

On pc at least there are plenty of noobs
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #36864 on: May 06, 2021, 03:49:27 PM »
Metro Exodus Enhanced, after failing to get into it earlier. And it looks cummy.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36865 on: May 07, 2021, 10:45:31 AM »
I picked up Tales of Berseria as my next big playthrough. Wanted to play something more modern and it was either between this or Tokyo Xanadu, but I figured I binged pretty heavily on Falcom for the past 5 years (Xanadu Next, Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection, Ys 8 and 9, Trails in the Sky SC and 3rd, the entirety of Cold Steel have all been released during this timeframe and I've played them all) and I haven't played any Tales game since Graces F's PS3 release. Graces F turned me off in a lot of ways, didn't like the battle system and every dungeon/battle seemed to drag on for way too long (especially towards the end), the characters and villain sucked, the story was forgettable, music was Sakuraba at his blandest.

However, I am really enjoying Berseria. I'm only 6 hours in, just stole the ship... but I like how the characters took what they did with Yuri in Vesperia being a bit of a rebel and expanded upon it a bit more. When Velvet initially shrugged off the whole equipment upgrade system I was like "my thoughts exactly - crafting is lame". The game runs very smoothly on a base PS4, the music is a bit better than Sakuraba's usual, I like the FF9-esque system where skills are tied to equipment. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the battle system... I guess this style was introduced in Graces F (is it in Xillia/Hearts/Zestiria) where you have a limited amount of moves you can do at a time to prevent the game from getting too spammy. I prefer my button-mashy Tales combat tbh, a lot of times I run out of max crystals and so I can't use the OP demon arm attack...
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36866 on: May 07, 2021, 12:42:32 PM »
I told you Berseria was good, but SOME people are like "UHHHH TALES ISNT GOOD, IM A STUPID WEEB WHO BELIEVES IN GHOSTS"
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36867 on: May 07, 2021, 01:34:35 PM »
Berseria is a bad Tales game, maybe an ok rpg with terrible hoverboard huge empty fields with nothing to do and just waste your time.

The battle system on its own is fine, but as a Tales battle system I don't like it. The characters/plot is fine, not any worse than other Tales. I just don't like the fields and the battle system. Plus the music was a big step down from Zesteria.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #36868 on: May 09, 2021, 01:00:06 AM »
Somebody got me Streets of Rogue for my bday so I've messed about with that a little bit. Cool weird randomized game.
Hi

« Reply #36869 on: May 09, 2021, 08:43:41 AM »
Curse of the Dead Gods is great. Highly recommend.

Beezy

« Reply #36870 on: May 09, 2021, 10:18:02 AM »
I've never heard of it until now. It looks good.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #36871 on: May 09, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »
Been playing alot of League of Legends Wild Rift, pretty fun for a mobile game
jon

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #36872 on: May 09, 2021, 04:32:26 PM »
Dead Cells didn't sell me on rougelikes but Hades...holy shit  :whoo

Bebpo

« Reply #36873 on: May 09, 2021, 06:07:21 PM »
Getting into The Last Remnant - This game is great, but man can you get wrecked so easily. One time I got back attacked my main party got wiped before I had a turn and game over. And I got to this Fire Idol boss about 4 hours in and it wrecked me bad first time. But second time just changing how I attempt the first turn (re-directing to take out a different mob) completely changed up the fight progression and we won easily.

I feel like the battle system is almost genius but it's held back by some of the RNG of it since you can't direct control all your team members and even the positioning is a little floaty of just "head in that general direction towards an enemy"

I like the small towns and story is better than I expected (heard it was pretty bad and a gameplay game) but the main kid is fucking awful. At least the other characters are solid and feel almost like a Matsuno political game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36874 on: May 09, 2021, 07:30:50 PM »
Somebody got me Streets of Rogue for my bday so I've messed about with that a little bit. Cool weird randomized game.

It's a really fun game.
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #36875 on: May 11, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »
Played some It Takes Two, finished the Squirrel segment.
The amount of ideas and creativity (an fun) in this game is almost shocking.  :whoo

« Reply #36876 on: May 11, 2021, 04:00:42 PM »
I think I might just play some Dragon Force.

Back in the day I got a used Saturn so I could import FirePro 6 man scramble (out of the back of a egm mail order shop, California import games I think it was)

I also had Dragon Force, Guardian Heros, Fighters Megamix, panzer dragoon 1 and 2, virtua cop 2, and Nights. Of course it’s long been traded in but it’s funny how you can have nostalgia even though Saturn “sucked” during that time frame to almost everyone.

Had co workers that would straight up make gaming nights in college with Death Tank also.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #36877 on: May 11, 2021, 06:05:14 PM »

I feel like the battle system is almost genius but it's held back by some of the RNG of it since you can't direct control all your team members and even the positioning is a little floaty of just "head in that general direction towards an enemy"

I feel the same way about FF7r. Almost an incredible battle system, and it's probably a good thing you can't micromanage too much, but I really wish you had more options with a "gambit" style system where you could actually set what you want your party members to do beyond the synergy/auto-cure style materias and had better options with party member positioning wrt to enemies especially bosses. Often feels like luck of the draw whether your party members will just run into the really obvious, devastating, AoE attacks. 
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #36878 on: May 11, 2021, 08:54:12 PM »
I didn't mind too much in FF7r because you can really micro-manage, but I agree a gambit-like system would let you be more hands off.

It's like when I play Pillars I pause on every action so like 1 second realtime takes me a minute or two as I micro-manage everything. I enjoy micro-managing my party.

Last Remnant is weird in that like you have a healer in your party and depending on the RNG it runs of what is going on in the battlefield and the enemies it may give you a heal option or it may not. Same with like your lead can be a mystic magic user, but on a turn you're only choices are attack, combat arts, or heal. It works like 75% of the time, but here and there you end up on a turn where you don't have the option you want or positioning-wise you end up in a position you didn't want to be.

Thanks to quick save anywhere and turbo-speed battles, having to retry a battle and get it to go slightly differently isn't the end of the world. I started using the TLR Planner App which is INSANE GUI program for the PC version of TLR letting you see all the stats behind the scenes in real-time (and cheat if you want, but I'm good on that currently). I tested spawning a rare monster I needed for a quest (I don't consider it cheating to save you running through a dungeon 20x until it appears) and I fought it and it was Battle Rank 23 and I'm at BR6 and I'd read some online tips that said to not touch it until BR11.

Yeah it could almost one-shot wipe me every turn, but playing safe and defensively and doing like 1k damage per turn when it had 28,000 HP took a while, but I beat it and it was really satisfying. Good battle system.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #36879 on: May 11, 2021, 11:41:29 PM »
Decided that perhaps I need a break from the seriousness of Ogre Battle and instead shifted to Golden Sun I've never played it before. I can see the shining force type charm.  But only about an hour in. We'll see how it goes.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #36880 on: May 12, 2021, 01:42:53 AM »
I remember really liking the GBA games back in the day. Probably still good! Kinda simple rpgs but fun and great looking.

Bebpo

« Reply #36881 on: May 12, 2021, 01:48:18 AM »

Got to the church city in TLR, story is starting to move. I'm liking this game a lot. Like the battle system and crafting is great and linking a bunch of grunt battles to make a hard af encounter you barely scrape by but as a result you get a ton of stat upgrades and new arts is really satisfying. Lots of locations and towns so far thanks to the bite size maps of them.

And the world setting and story is actually pretty interesting. Rush sucks, but David and the rest of the characters are very solid and Matsuno-like. Good art & character designs too.

What good turn-based jrpgs came out of the PS3/X360 era? Resonance of Fate, Lost Odyssey and BD are the only ones I can think of. This feels pretty up there with those so far.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #36882 on: May 12, 2021, 03:31:07 AM »
Turn based as in FF/DQ-style only, or does that include sRPG as well, as in FFT-like?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36883 on: May 12, 2021, 10:27:26 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Got to the church city in TLR, story is starting to move. I'm liking this game a lot. Like the battle system and crafting is great and linking a bunch of grunt battles to make a hard af encounter you barely scrape by but as a result you get a ton of stat upgrades and new arts is really satisfying. Lots of locations and towns so far thanks to the bite size maps of them.

And the world setting and story is actually pretty interesting. Rush sucks, but David and the rest of the characters are very solid and Matsuno-like. Good art & character designs too.

What good turn-based jrpgs came out of the PS3/X360 era? Resonance of Fate, Lost Odyssey and BD are the only ones I can think of. This feels pretty up there with those so far.

Cold Steel 1 and 2, some of the Atelier games
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36884 on: May 12, 2021, 10:30:48 AM »

It's a really fun game.

I played Matt Dabrowski's (creator of Streets of Rogue) first ever game, Burger Joint (for ZZT), recently:
https://museumofzzt.com/file/b/burgerj.zip

Fun game with some nice 90s style edgelord humor.
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36885 on: May 12, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Most of the good ones were on the portable machines. Nintendo DS/PSP.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36886 on: May 12, 2021, 06:46:13 PM »
Funny seeing people discovering TLR when people shit on it because it was originally an Xbox Exclusive

Glad you finally discovered a good game
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:53:03 PM by demi »
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36887 on: May 12, 2021, 08:05:27 PM »
I thought people shat on it because it's a SaGa game and SaGa/Kawazu stuff is extremely niche. I mean people didn't shit on Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon or Tales of Vesperia.

I mean even SaGa Frontier Remastered has a 77 metacritic (71 on Switch) and it'll probably the best rpg release this year.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #36888 on: May 12, 2021, 08:37:35 PM »
i remember people going on about how laborious and weird the battle system was
◕‿◕

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36889 on: May 12, 2021, 09:08:28 PM »
Nah, it got shit on for being Xbox only at the time. Everyone was soooo sad it never came out on PS3 ;_;;;;
fat

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #36890 on: May 12, 2021, 09:10:29 PM »
I got it on PC, and was too annoyed with the loading to play through it

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #36891 on: May 13, 2021, 01:41:43 AM »
Finished It Takes Two.

Overall really fantastic, the only thing i felt was missing was a "final level" of some kind.
The actual final level in the game doesn't feel like one (despite being great) and doesn't even have a final boss.  ???
Really felt like at some point someone went "Ok, wrap it up" and played the ending cutscene.

That said, the greatest thing about it was how many fun ideas were in it, and how well it played through most of them.
Gave me that TitanFall2 campaign vibe of just throwing new stuff at you every 20 minutes.
Plus i'm a sucker for the "shrunken down in ordinary environments" gimmick.
Played the demo of that Dreamcast game where you were army men in a giant kitchen for hours.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #36892 on: May 13, 2021, 01:47:59 AM »
Toy Commander :ohyeah

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #36893 on: May 13, 2021, 01:59:30 AM »
Yeah that's the one!
Fuck, i wonder if it holds up.
Never even played the full game.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36894 on: May 13, 2021, 05:09:54 AM »
Toy Commander is fun
 I dont know wht theres no sequel
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #36895 on: May 13, 2021, 05:29:03 AM »
I think The Last Remnant got shit on Xbox......because it runs and looks like shit on Xbox.

People started turning around when it came to PC. Where it had good changes and didn't run poorly.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36896 on: May 13, 2021, 10:13:27 AM »
Last Remnant never got a PS3 version? I thought it had one...
I have it for 360 but never played it for whatever reason. I think the "grinding makes you weaker" aspect turned me off a bit, I hate games where you can permanently fuck yourself over.
^_^

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #36897 on: May 13, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »
Toy Commander is fucking awesome.

:bow Frédérick Raynal :bow2

Bebpo

« Reply #36898 on: May 13, 2021, 02:06:32 PM »
Last Remnant never got a PS3 version? I thought it had one...
I have it for 360 but never played it for whatever reason. I think the "grinding makes you weaker" aspect turned me off a bit, I hate games where you can permanently fuck yourself over.

From what I understand they nerfed Battle Rank in the PC/PS4/Switch version so grinding is fine.

I don't have a lot of experience with SaGa now with just 2 games but like people talk about Battle Rank in SaGa Frontier 1 but it's complete bullshit. The amount of stat increase the enemies get in SF1 each rank (there's only like 8 or less ranks in SF1) is so small compared to your party stat increases you always outpower the enemies. I grinded to pretty high stats in my first run in SF1 and a few others and never had a problem and being high stats definitely made things easier.

Likewise playing TLR now, I'm not grinding and only fighting about 1/2 the normal encounters I run into but then I get to sidequests and bosses where I'm clearly underleveled and look them up and they recommend being like BR39 and I'm like BR15. So my experience in SF1 and TLR PC is just play them normally like a regular rpg.

From what I understand in TLR PC/PS4/Switch edition the only reason to run a low BR avoiding all encounters is so that when you acquire all the characters and make your final parties you're gonna use for the back half the game you're at such a BR difference from the enemies your stat increases are much larger so you min-max higher. But I also read that's not necessary at all.

Bebpo

« Reply #36899 on: May 13, 2021, 04:12:57 PM »
So I'm exploring out the map in The Last Remnant and it's kind of crazy how half the cities are optional/missable. Basically exploring out every exit in every map to find new areas and exploring them out and eventually getting to towns.

It's kinda fun wandering into a new section of a dungeon map or area and the enemies instant ko you and it's like "nope, not ready for this area yet". Making a mental note of quest fights/areas as I explore around that I need to come back to later. I guess that is the old school SaGa experience (Frontier 1 doesn't have much of this since enemies all scale to your level).

Also it's interesting going back to old dungeons and seeing they have new sections later on.