Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3596468 times)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37020 on: June 10, 2021, 04:10:06 PM »
Have they touched up some of the rougher textures?

I'm weird in that I never noticed a single ugly thing in my playthrough of FF7 remake last year. Was one of the best looking console games I've ever seen from start to finish. I don't expect videogames to have sharp detailed textures on every object in an environment. That's never really been a thing, especially in jrpgs.

That being said I play on a 1080p tv so maybe that hides stuff that would look bad on a larger tv.

I thought it looked great for the most part too. But there really was some things that were hard to ignore, and some places that it just looked like they forgot to texture... Like that door.

Was really weird, cause it varied so much in quality. Like 1080p tv or not, this stuff stands out

Bebpo

« Reply #37021 on: June 10, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »
Fair, I honestly never noticed that stuff while playing.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37022 on: June 10, 2021, 04:21:51 PM »
I wish I didnt haha.

Played it for two hours today, and I must say it does look quite a bit better. An upgrade to every single texture it feels like, bigger view distance (i think), better image quality and so on.

Bebpo

« Reply #37023 on: June 10, 2021, 05:15:57 PM »
btw, in Nier now that I'm in part 2, I gotta say Brother Nier actually makes more sense from a storytelling point of view than Papa Nier.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

The whole point of the timeskip in storytelling is for innocent young kid Nier to suddenly come back five years later and he's turned into hardened Guts from Berserk. Grown up badass serious dude with a completely different voice and look. Same thing stuff like Gurren Lagann does.

That was basically missing from the original western release with Papa Nier, since he's old and grumpy from the start and just seems the same post-time skip but more grumpy and some bondage gear. I only played that version and I didn't remember the timeskip being a big deal, but playing it now it totally changes the feel.
[close]

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37024 on: June 10, 2021, 06:41:45 PM »
the pop in for characters, textures and other environmental models is what i noticed constantly. that and yeah, a lot of flat, low res textures
◕‿◕

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #37025 on: June 10, 2021, 09:57:50 PM »
Dragon's Dogma. Still such a fun game and probably my most wanted sequel, crossing my fingers that it is really in development.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #37026 on: June 11, 2021, 09:04:58 AM »
GTA: Vice City Stories via PSP emulation on a PS Classic.  I've only played through this once before on PS2.  I remember it being one of the better entries in the series and I'm having a good time so far.  I wish this was put out on mobile like Liberty City Stories because my only real complaint so far is the kinda muddy/blurry graphics.

Svejk

« Reply #37027 on: June 11, 2021, 09:36:56 AM »
Dragon's Dogma. Still such a fun game and probably my most wanted sequel, crossing my fingers that it is really in development.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
What are your PC settings?  Are you using any ENB mods?  The lighting looks different, but nice.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37028 on: June 11, 2021, 04:35:39 PM »
Jane Shephard is here to make the Galaxy Great Again :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm going full renegade on this one
[close]
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37029 on: June 11, 2021, 07:35:29 PM »
Going full renegade is the way. Be a space nazi. I tried to play ME again... But fuck me just can't. I mean who replays games anyway?

Anyway I just started re-playing Final Fantasy 7 remake on PS5

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:26:51 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

Bebpo

« Reply #37030 on: June 11, 2021, 08:12:12 PM »
Lighting looks great.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37031 on: June 12, 2021, 01:32:56 AM »
Yuffie is kawaii, desu :uguu
©@©™

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37032 on: June 12, 2021, 05:27:45 AM »
Lighting looks great.

Please don't call Cloud that.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37033 on: June 12, 2021, 05:48:55 AM »
Playing as Renegade is difficult.

*calls the council a bunch of hacks and liars* +2 Renegade

"This is why we need you Shephard you can get the job done"

*holds a shoot out with Salarians, let one live to get his item* +8 Paragon

Guess the best route is to pick Renegade when it doesn't lock you out of stuff and then invest character points into intimidate.
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37034 on: June 12, 2021, 12:12:31 PM »
I'm up to the final dungeon of Berseria but have a lot of sidequests to catch up on and stuff I missed (Katz boxes) so I gotta go through a sweep of the game before tackling the final dungeon.
Also bought Ratchet and Clank. I've only played demos of this series and enjoyed them but never fully committed to one. Wanted a game that showed off the PS5 and figured this would be good. So I'm gonna play that and Village next.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37035 on: June 12, 2021, 01:54:08 PM »
Playing as Renegade is difficult.

*calls the council a bunch of hacks and liars* +2 Renegade

"This is why we need you Shephard you can get the job done"

*holds a shoot out with Salarians, let one live to get his item* +8 Paragon

Guess the best route is to pick Renegade when it doesn't lock you out of stuff and then invest character points into intimidate.

Just pick Renegade whenever it's fun/funny and you'll probably get enough points to max out your gauge.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #37036 on: June 12, 2021, 03:04:43 PM »

The new lighting at Walled Market at night looks so good. Tempted to replay this one day. Can't wait for Pt.2

Bebpo

« Reply #37037 on: June 12, 2021, 07:56:33 PM »
Ok, I thought I was going crazy.

When I played the haunted Manor in Nier Replicant I was like that's a shame they got rid of the PS1 style RE1-3 door loading screen transitions. Especially since it's not like Replicant doesn't have loading screens. It probably has the same damn loading as the original given how long these loads are.

Then I looked online and couldn't find ANY EVIDENCE that there were RE style door loading screens in Gestalt. Thought I was going crazy.

Then was googling the Nier wiki and under Manor under RE references there is ONE SCREENSHOT of a door cinematic. I can't find a video of this door opening loading screen anywhere on the internet. But it did exist!

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/nier/images/b/b5/12-notreallyinthegameeither.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120920000105

Except the screenshot is titled "not really in the game either"

So I am very confused now. I wonder if I'm remembering a cut asset from the original? wattt

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37038 on: June 12, 2021, 09:54:52 PM »
GTA: Vice City Stories via PSP emulation on a PS Classic.  I've only played through this once before on PS2.  I remember it being one of the better entries in the series and I'm having a good time so far.  I wish this was put out on mobile like Liberty City Stories because my only real complaint so far is the kinda muddy/blurry graphics.

GTA:VCS is one of the best entries in the series. It's the only one that allows the player to change the map, by determining what type of crime-business they install in each of the locations. It has emergent gameplay from the player's own efforts to build their syndicate. It also has a sweet autogyro/one-man 'copter that can be parked at one of the apartment, on a rooftop. I spent a WHOLE bunch of time in that game. I like it better than vanilla Vice City.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37039 on: June 14, 2021, 07:28:02 PM »
Ok, sent a friend request to both of you.

Same.

I am still clearing Color Challenges, so that gives you some idea of my (cough) progress.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37040 on: June 14, 2021, 08:58:29 PM »
Cant put down Hollow Knight wtf. Had to force myself to bed last night. Once the game gets you, it really gets you huh.

Hands down some of the best lore and world building in a game, ever
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:14:22 PM by The Sceneman »

Bebpo

« Reply #37041 on: June 14, 2021, 09:16:20 PM »
Cant put down Hollow Knight wtf. Had to force myself to bed last night. Once the game gets you, it really gets you huh.

Hands down some of the best lore and world building in a game, ever

yes it's that good

:bernie

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37042 on: June 14, 2021, 09:24:35 PM »
The order and manner the areas are presented to you is hands-down masterful game design. I still have a bit to do for 112% completion (only at 75% or so currently) so this game will keep me busy for a long time. I'll try the speedruns and cheesing the no death mode (quit when health is low) but Im scared of the 45 fight boss run

Bebpo

« Reply #37043 on: June 14, 2021, 09:51:19 PM »
What will blow your mind is that most of the entire game is non-linear and can be done in a different order.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37044 on: June 14, 2021, 09:58:15 PM »
Yeah, I think the first couple of traversal upgrades are necessary (dash, wall jump) then the game just opens right up

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37045 on: June 15, 2021, 03:47:14 PM »
Man, this new Ratchet and Clank is totally a game for speedrunners. It's as if they barely tested the platforming. Managed to clip through the world geometry and saw other sections of the map were loaded in.

You're supposed to need some wall-run upgrade to get that golden bolt. I don't.

Edit: PS5 captures some pretty decent video quality.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37046 on: June 15, 2021, 04:29:10 PM »
Your video is set to private
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37047 on: June 15, 2021, 08:06:56 PM »
Really enjoying FF7 Remake on ps5. That 60 fps and upgrade in everything really helps.

Bebpo

« Reply #37048 on: June 15, 2021, 08:29:42 PM »
Goddamn, game is a work of art.

Pt.2 gonna be tough to live up aesthetically with larger open environments. At least it'll be far enough down the line to be PS5 only and have more tech behind it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37049 on: June 15, 2021, 09:21:18 PM »
Yeah, I think the first couple of traversal upgrades are necessary (dash, wall jump) then the game just opens right up

Are you using the downward attack to hover/bounce above spikes? I saw a video on that, but never managed to do it.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37050 on: June 16, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »
I finished the Borderlands 3 main story over the weekend + the Bounty of Blood DLC, then did the Circles of the Slaughter and some weapon grinding with Demi. Almost finished with Guns, Love, and Tentacles.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37051 on: June 16, 2021, 05:30:31 PM »
Mass Effect is still so good

Purging Ferros with the exception of 3 colonists sure banked some Renegade points  8)

"Muh muh I did not meant to work with Saren I give you information now and go live on a space farm"
"Thanks for the intel but can't let you go traitor"
*bang*
 8)
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37052 on: June 16, 2021, 06:24:59 PM »

Could you discuss Yuffie’s design for the remake, and what you were trying to accomplish?

Tetsuya Nomura: I would say I was most particular about whether or not she looked her age. Yuffie is younger than the other main members, as she is still in her teens.

can just imagine nomura walking around looking at designers yuffie art and demanding "no, younger!"

◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37053 on: June 16, 2021, 08:20:25 PM »

Are you using the downward attack to hover/bounce above spikes? I saw a video on that, but never managed to do it.

Nah, Im just playing pretty organically for my first run through. I probaly could manage the pogo manuever would I attempt now, as I've pogo'ed a lot of bosses

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37054 on: June 16, 2021, 10:16:36 PM »

Could you discuss Yuffie’s design for the remake, and what you were trying to accomplish?

Tetsuya Nomura: I would say I was most particular about whether or not she looked her age. Yuffie is younger than the other main members, as she is still in her teens.

can just imagine nomura walking around looking at designers yuffie art and demanding "no, younger!"

"Nah mate, younger. Nah, illegal" - Nathan Barley

paprikastaude

« Reply #37055 on: June 19, 2021, 05:37:25 PM »
I started to replay the original Ninja Gaiden 2 for the last couple of weeks. And while I remain, that is has one of the best battle systems, I find everything between even more tedious than back in the day. I now put Black in for comparison and while the combat isn't as flashy, it feels like a much more coherent experience beyond just the fighting, even to this day.

Dare I say, the best version of NG2 is Razor's Edge?  :doge  iirc that game was mostly combat with all the bullshit inbetween cut out. At least in my memory I had a lot of fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #37056 on: June 19, 2021, 05:54:33 PM »
Yeah, I liked, but did not love NG2 at release. I think I only beat it once and moved on, maybe twice.

As a DMC stan, NG:B was the only game in that series I put on equal level with DMC3.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37057 on: June 19, 2021, 06:08:24 PM »
I started to replay the original Ninja Gaiden 2 for the last couple of weeks. And while I remain, that is has one of the best battle systems, I find everything between even more tedious than back in the day. I now put Black in for comparison and while the combat isn't as flashy, it feels like a much more coherent experience beyond just the fighting, even to this day.

Dare I say, the best version of NG2 is Razor's Edge?  :doge  iirc that game was mostly combat with all the bullshit inbetween cut out. At least in my memory I had a lot of fun.
Regarding RE, i only played the demo, but i remember the button mashing required to "finish" enemies, slowed down the combat incredibly, very annoying.

TBH i always hated the extra stuff in NG games, from the obnoxious bow puzzles to the platforming with shitty camera.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37058 on: June 19, 2021, 07:07:13 PM »
NG3 is Razors Edge(?) not NG2. You get to play as different characters including Kasumi, at least on the Wii U. I think it's also the one where you fight the military and slice up tanks. NG2 back in the day was really a test of strength and resolve like the Souls games now. Some fights were utterly broken and you had to cheese your way through them.
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #37059 on: June 19, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »

Regarding RE, i only played the demo, but i remember the button mashing required to "finish" enemies, slowed down the combat incredibly, very annoying.

TBH i always hated the extra stuff in NG games, from the obnoxious bow puzzles to the platforming with shitty camera.

I'm now into chapter 7 of Black and surprised that I like all the normal adventuring well enough. Maybe I remembered it worse because of NG2. In Black all the platforming etc. feels part of an overall ninja experience, but the same things in NG2 feel like clumsy padding that don't belong. Iirc Razor's Edge cut everything unique to NG3 and then it was basically just a map pack for the NG2 combat system that they copy pasted over, except with some refined bow mechanics and all the non-combat parts cut out. Might have to replay down the line.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 07:24:02 PM by Spieler1 »

Hamarr

« Reply #37060 on: June 20, 2021, 12:15:27 AM »
Not sure if I made a mistake or not, but I got another Nintendo Switch and BOTW.  GameStop had a decent trade in deal on the Xbox One X so it as pretty much a trade.  I lost all my saves and am starting over, but don’t mind that too much with BOTW.  It’s been a blast to revisit it.  Not sure why I sold my Switch before. 

I am also making my way through Nier Replicant, Mass Effect 3 in the Legendary edition and Outriders.  Outriders is a mess but a few of my friends have it and we end up playing it a bit.  I wish it was more or a Live Service game so there was a real end game.  I’m trying to talk my friends into jumping into something else, but Outriders does support cross play.

I have never played a game with so many weird game play bugs that would seem to be general, but seem to break different for each class.  Like the self res you get on all classes.  On the Trickster, holding down the button often does nothing.  On my technomancer, other abilities sometimes don’t fire fen when off cooldown.  The combat does feel pretty good, though.  It’s addictive for how janky it is.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37061 on: June 20, 2021, 06:11:20 PM »
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37062 on: June 22, 2021, 07:04:09 PM »
need a bigger skull to make room for massive brain

Rman

« Reply #37063 on: June 23, 2021, 05:59:41 PM »
Yeah, I liked, but did not love NG2 at release. I think I only beat it once and moved on, maybe twice.

As a DMC stan, NG:B was the only game in that series I put on equal level with DMC3.
my issue with the dmc games is that basically became combo fests.

ngb and ng2 still have actual level design. not just enemy rooms strung together.

Bebpo

« Reply #37064 on: June 24, 2021, 11:15:13 PM »
Started Legend of Mana Remaster and man, on Switch in portable mode the AI upscaled backgrounds look INSANELY GOOD like from a modern game today.

Which makes the non-touched up ultra-pixelated character & object sprites on them look pretty weird and jarring. Like normally I'm not a fan of filtering sprites, but I think there should have at least been a toggle option in this case to get them to match closer to the backgrounds.

I never played the original. Tried it a bit in the 90s but it was too weird and bailed real quick. Back in the day when living in the pirates life is me age games got like 30 mins to grab me or I moved on to something else. Like Saga Frontier 1, gonna give this a real chance this time. I know some people like it a lot.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37065 on: June 25, 2021, 09:08:13 AM »
I tried more times than any other game to get into Legend of Mana, and always drop it after 5 or so hours. The game is absolutely STUNNING but it felt like such a drag, combat was mindlessly easy, level design was bland and linear, didn't like the disjointed nature of the story, nor am I much of a Shimomura fan (put down those pitchforks!) especially compared to Kikuta.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37066 on: June 25, 2021, 06:12:31 PM »
Wrapping up the remaster of Mass Effect 1, what a lovely mess of a game.

I'm glad they didn't fix it actually. Would've lost much of the charm.
🤴

Hamarr

« Reply #37067 on: June 26, 2021, 12:05:19 AM »
I played a couple.hours of Zombi tonight.  I can't remember which thread it was but some folks were talking about it here.  I got it from Xbox Gold a couple.of years ago but never for around to playing it.  I'm not real huge on zombie games but this is a lot of fun.  It feels like a survival game in a way without all the base building and stuff you normally have to do and a bit of a survival horror game.  The combat is not real great but I don't mind it so far other than the guys with the helmets. 

I also played a bit of Dark Alliance.  I('m glad I didn't pay for it.  It feels like a mobile game.that has been posted over to consoles and pc.  There's a lot.of broken stuff like the enemies don't engage it you attack outside of their little arena area.  If you don't ever come into their aggro circle they just stand there and let you kill them.  You can also stun lock bosses with melee attacks even on the ranged lady.  The level.design is also not very interesting.  Not Diablo like at all.  Loot also sucks.  You get this mobile like message about the quality but you don't see what it actually is until you use a loot box type system to "reveal" the loot.  Moat of it is a straight upgrade over the lower level pieces with not much variation.

I'm a bit bummed since the old Baldur'sGate Dark Alliance games were so.fun.  I was hoping for a modern update on those instead of this. 

« Reply #37068 on: June 26, 2021, 04:37:45 AM »
Scarlet Nexus is soooooo good y’all

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37069 on: June 26, 2021, 07:25:12 AM »
What's it like? I can't really tell from the trailers.

It reminded me of Astral Chain when they first announced it but it looks very different.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #37070 on: June 26, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »

wait, really?

The combat in the demo was very shallow and repetitive. Didn't even feel good or fun to me.

« Reply #37071 on: June 26, 2021, 12:24:42 PM »
It gets very deep and a lot better in the full game. Way more moves and things going on. It’s like a tales game but more character action than jrpg. I imagine there will be a lot of combo videos for this game.

Bebpo

« Reply #37072 on: June 26, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »
It gets very deep and a lot better in the full game. Way more moves and things going on. It’s like a tales game but more character action than jrpg. I imagine there will be a lot of combo videos for this game.

Checked out some of the reviews and huh, it does sound better than an anime trash game.

Sounds like a good pick up when it's $20-$30.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37073 on: June 26, 2021, 04:18:20 PM »
Played a few rounds of Hidden in Plain Sight on the Switch with my kids. Had a great time.

It's a cool little indie competitive local multiplayer game with a little bit of light social/visual deduction.

Videos won't really do it justice and it's hard to describe, but it's a great couch multiplayer game and very cheap.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37074 on: June 26, 2021, 04:45:51 PM »
One of the few games on the Xbox Live Indie Games service (Xblig) that was worth a crap.

This Spiderman: Miles Morales game is so cool, I forgot I bought it. Cool surprise to have something new to play when I hooked up the PS5 again though. Still waiting for that PS5 killer app.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart was alright, but nothing too special either. They really need to get more creative with the guns in those games again. Doesn't help that I hit the platinum trophy in 12 hours.

The one next-gen game I enjoyed the most so far has been the Metro Exodus next gen patch. The boost to 60fps with the improved lighting thanks to the raytracing really elevates the game. Went from a B-tier game to an A-tier one just by technology progressing.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #37075 on: June 26, 2021, 06:08:21 PM »
I gave zero fucks for this Monster Hunter Stories 2 thing but the demo is fun. I'm a sucker for riding around on cool mounts and the battles are fast paced and enjoyable.

:leon

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37076 on: June 26, 2021, 08:30:26 PM »
another day, another day of aim being shit, but brain being big

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37077 on: June 26, 2021, 09:23:06 PM »
I don't really understand the praise for Scarlet Nexus.

The combat is garbage. What kind of action game doesn't have iframes in a dodge and a game where enemies seem to track you?

And this story is anime garbage. People are saying the girl character is the one to play because she's interesting. I don't find cold and bitchy anime girl character interesting anymore, I'm not 15.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37078 on: June 26, 2021, 11:05:18 PM »

What am I looking at here?
Spud

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37079 on: June 27, 2021, 10:38:39 AM »

What am I looking at here?

It's counter strike, so the win conditions are killing the entire other team (and if you are a CT, defuse the bomb in time, if it is down), or bomb or defuse the bomb depending on if you are counter terrorist or terrorist during that half.

In the video those two terrorists have planted the bomb, and think it's safe to run away as they havent seen me sneak onto side. Weapons and armor carries over to the next round ,so they need to get away from the bomb if they want to keep their stuff, and assume I am also just saving my gun somewhere on the map

If I started trying to shoot them, I would probably waste too much time. So I defuse it as they run away, just in time before it goes off and before one of them manages to run back and shoot me (after hearing I start defusing). Losing a round to something that dumb, usually tilts the fuck out of the other team, as they now didnt just lose a round, but it also fucks up the economy of the other team for the next round(s).

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 10:44:53 AM by Mr Gilhaney »