Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3605236 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #38280 on: June 27, 2022, 06:03:30 AM »
When DEFIANCE TV show came out, they had a pretty big MMO that went with it. I liked the show a heap, and put plenty of hours in the MMO, but it wasn't very good.

I've been afraid to go near Star Trek Online. I feel like it will only make me dislike myself.

Polident Hive

« Reply #38281 on: June 27, 2022, 07:48:20 AM »
Returnal makes me want to get my eyes checked. There’s the tiny UI, limited palette shared with enemy and some environments, and how fast and chaotic it can get. Not to imply it’s unplayable. Attacks glow and it’s all telegraphed. But there’s been plenty of moments I’m thinking “what the hell is going on” and it’s glowing rings and effects everywhere. Sometimes a threat ring from MGS4 shows up on the character. If that could stay on or I could make the mini map larger, it’d be swell.

Nitpicking aside, pretty cool so far. Some Hades, some Metroid Prime, some Control, some of Housemarque own particle effect Minter-lite updates to arcade games. Crazy usage of the dualshock 5, btw. Hard to express. It vibrates like how Half Life 2 aliens sound.

Svejk

« Reply #38282 on: June 27, 2022, 08:55:17 AM »
Returnal makes me want to get my eyes checked. There’s the tiny UI, limited palette shared with enemy and some environments, and how fast and chaotic it can get. Not to imply it’s unplayable. Attacks glow and it’s all telegraphed. But there’s been plenty of moments I’m thinking “what the hell is going on” and it’s glowing rings and effects everywhere. Sometimes a threat ring from MGS4 shows up on the character. If that could stay on or I could make the mini map larger, it’d be swell.

Nitpicking aside, pretty cool so far. Some Hades, some Metroid Prime, some Control, some of Housemarque own particle effect Minter-lite updates to arcade games. Crazy usage of the dualshock 5, btw. Hard to express. It vibrates like how Half Life 2 aliens sound.
Besides the excruciating rogue element of the game, Returnal is 3D pew-pew at it's finest.  I'd highly recommend adjusting the camera speed (Right stick input minimum to like 8%), enlarging the aiming reticle for seeing the reload/recharge meter easier, and changing the dash to R1 instead of circle... unless muscle memory is set in already for circle.

I have this game still staring at me to attempt again.  I love it and hate it all at the same time.  I really need to try the co-op.

Polident Hive

« Reply #38283 on: June 27, 2022, 07:38:35 PM »
Yeah. Making the reticle larger helped with the reload. Same with highest auto aim setting. It’s sticky enough to not babysit the right analog stick. Likewise, never using the zoom/aim button. Giving into the flow and constantly moving. If I had another nitpick, the melee sword attack is oddly slow and stiff. What it reminds me of are the PS2 Armored Core games. That canned slash animation. I only use it against the shielded enemies.

When it came out last year, there were complaints about no save option during a run? Trouble imagining how that worked. My most successful run, that I’m still on, is a couple hours over three days. There’s a one time save/suspend option like the GBA Castlevanias. Did that just not exist before patches?

Svejk

« Reply #38284 on: June 27, 2022, 11:54:48 PM »
Yeah. Making the reticle larger helped with the reload. Same with highest auto aim setting. It’s sticky enough to not babysit the right analog stick. Likewise, never using the zoom/aim button. Giving into the flow and constantly moving. If I had another nitpick, the melee sword attack is oddly slow and stiff. What it reminds me of are the PS2 Armored Core games. That canned slash animation. I only use it against the shielded enemies.

When it came out last year, there were complaints about no save option during a run? Trouble imagining how that worked. My most successful run, that I’m still on, is a couple hours over three days. There’s a one time save/suspend option like the GBA Castlevanias. Did that just not exist before patches?
Iirc, you could always suspend, but not save and suspend.  Now, you can even save scum if you have PS Plus.  I have yet to try it, but supposedly works like a charm and can reload a game in a matter of 40 seconds.  I've gotten to the 3rd biome boss, but have yet to beat it.  The 3rd biome can be brutal.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #38285 on: June 29, 2022, 09:41:14 AM »
Finally beat Ys Oath and beat that Ice Boss on Lagoon that seemed impossible in fact I bodied it. :rejoice

Edit

Beat Ys III PS2.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 08:25:51 PM by D3RANG3D »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38286 on: June 30, 2022, 12:07:42 PM »
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD (Switch)

My first mainline SMT game (though I have experience with the spinoffs - P3-5, Digital Devil Saga, and Soul Hackers)
Just made it through the Mantra HQ and getting ready to head back to Ginza and the Nihilo HQ. Never beat this back in the day so it's interesting to finally give it a try. Matador was a bit of a PITA but from what I understand, the game is much less overwhelming after him?

Some questions for those who have played:
-I am at around level 26 now. After beating Matador I got to unlock the Amala Labyrinth section 1. Am I equipped to handle this or should I just go back to Ginza/Nihilo?
-Can I go back and fight Daisoujou? I tried once and died towards the end of the fight when he spammed 4 attacks at once. I need something to prevent me from his drain attacks.

I like this and the atmosphere a lot, but overall so far I prefer Digital Devil Saga - not really big into trying to recruit/fuse demons and I really like the Hindu and Buddhist themes of DDS, find them quite original for the genre.
^_^

archnemesis

« Reply #38287 on: June 30, 2022, 02:25:56 PM »
...from what I understand, the game is much less overwhelming after him?
It's been forever since I played it, but I vaguely remember a few other difficulty spikes. Matador is infamous since it's the first real challenge in the game.

Nocturne is where I started so I have a soft spot for it. All other PS2 MegaTen games are well worth playing.

Once you have figured out how combat works then they are all manageable. In Nocturne buffs/debuffs matter more than in most RPGs, and you have to think of elemental weaknesses/resistances to abuse the press turn system. If a boss is too difficult it usually just means that you're using the wrong team.

archnemesis

« Reply #38288 on: June 30, 2022, 02:34:44 PM »
I've been playing Wild Arms for the first time. It was the first thing that caught my eye from the new PS+ service. It looks great with the retro filter and it even has trophies if you care about those. I'm surprised of how good it is. Everything from the graphics and level design to the writing has vastly exceeded my expectations.

I'm also playing Crying Suns on my iPad. It's not as great as FTL: Faster than Light, but scratches the same itch. The first chapter was very easy. Now that I'm in the second chapter I have to be much more careful with my resources.

I also signed up for a premium account on BoardGameArena so I can play board games in the browser with my co-workers. Keeping together a remote team isn't easy.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38289 on: June 30, 2022, 04:38:27 PM »
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy game on PC, this is surprisingly great. I understand why it won best narrative plus the graphics are crazy good and the licensed music really makes it feel like the movies.

🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #38290 on: June 30, 2022, 07:30:19 PM »
Gonna play that after Spider Man Miles. Raytracing looks significant in GOTG. Playing on PS5 so I’ll go with the performance mode instead. But the Spider-Man 60 FPS RT mode is really good. I understand why it’s possible there and not GOTG and Control. Think performance mode in GOTG PS5 already drops resolution a lot to hit 60 FPS.

On Spider-Man Miles, I’m not feeling the dynamic of Pete and Miles when they’re together. The two Spider-Mans thing, where he’s Peter’s Robin. Other stuff with Miles I’ve seen has Peter gone or a rare occasion. Curious how it’s balanced in the sequel that, judging from the trailer, will have both playable or at least present.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #38291 on: July 01, 2022, 05:09:34 PM »
Beat Ys III SNES.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 08:25:18 PM by D3RANG3D »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #38292 on: July 01, 2022, 08:20:41 PM »
Started up Ys IV Mask of The Sun got to the first boss, what's up the jank 4 way movement when it's the hump combat and the NES graphics?

Bout to Start up Ys IV Dawn of Ys for the PCECD.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 08:24:58 PM by D3RANG3D »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38293 on: July 02, 2022, 11:31:28 AM »
Started up Ys IV Mask of The Sun got to the first boss, what's up the jank 4 way movement when it's the hump combat and the NES graphics?

Bout to Start up Ys IV Dawn of Ys for the PCECD.

Dawn of Ys has 8 direction movement and is a massive improvement over Mask of the Sun. Enjoy, it's my favorite of the bump combat games!
^_^

Beezy

« Reply #38294 on: July 02, 2022, 05:39:30 PM »
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy game on PC, this is surprisingly great. I understand why it won best narrative plus the graphics are crazy good and the licensed music really makes it feel like the movies.

Finally started it on Series X (Gamepass) yesterday because of this post. I agree with everything you said and I'm also pleasantly surprised at how colorful it is, at least through the first 2 chapters.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38295 on: July 02, 2022, 06:48:45 PM »
In other news, finished my Resident Evil 2 Claire A, Leon B ray-traced run

standalone Ada game when  ???

[close]
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #38296 on: July 02, 2022, 07:40:46 PM »

Finally started it on Series X (Gamepass) yesterday because of this post. I agree with everything you said and I'm also pleasantly surprised at how colorful it is, at least through the first 2 chapters.

GoTG only gets better as it goes too.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38297 on: July 02, 2022, 10:54:30 PM »
Started Wild ARMs on ps1, the last game I need to finish all the current ps1 trophies  8)

https://i.ibb.co/wMrS6s0/F6-F07-B46-BFD1-4-FAE-8-CF7-4-FC9145075-C9.jpg
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38298 on: July 04, 2022, 05:49:00 PM »
Ace Combat 7 :cruise
I always forget how crazy this game gets. Shoot down some UAV's... in a thunder storm.

Has anyone tried Project Wingman? It looks like Ace Combat but sounds even crazier.
Apparently the plot is that the UN wants to destroy the world and you fight for the resistance or something.
I believe entire countries get nuked and vulcano's appear. As well as planes with lasers.  :doge
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38299 on: July 05, 2022, 10:24:24 AM »
Playing a buncha Nocturne, currently making my way through the Obelisk. This dungeon has been taking forever... think I'm nearing the end of the Obelisk at least now.
I like how the puzzle game is basically stolen verbatim (even the level designs) from Atlus's old Game Boy game, Kwirk: The Chiller Tomato.
Also have done 2 of the Amala Labyrinth 'kalpas' so far too and been mostly caught up on the Fiends.
^_^

Beezy

« Reply #38300 on: July 05, 2022, 11:26:34 AM »

GoTG only gets better as it goes too.
Yeah, I've been hooked. Stopped at the start of chapter 13 last night. I'm hoping to complete it tonight before I have to leave for a trip in the morning.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38301 on: July 05, 2022, 11:45:08 AM »
I started Guardians last night as well, but the part where the "parts picked up" message just stays on screen unless you stand still for 7 seconds and it will dissapear really annoyed me :( anyway to turn that off
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38302 on: July 05, 2022, 12:16:23 PM »
Started replaying FFX on the Xbawks. I played it on the PS2, but I never played the HD version, and it looks pretty nice in 4K. It still looks better than a lot of B-tier JRPGs coming out now, like Atelier lmao. The only thing that really pegs it as an old game is the lack of modern QoL features and the godawful voice acting. Having to navigate the convoluted-ass sphere grid, manually heal up all your characters in-between combat, and swap in and out every character during combat so they all get AP, and then listen to Tidus' dumbass narrate the game is kind of a beating, but it's a nice nostalgia hit. I was all about this game back in '01.
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #38303 on: July 05, 2022, 02:58:28 PM »
After 26 years, I FINALLY finished a playthrough of Chrono Trigger.  Not having much nostalgia for it, it was pretty good.  It aged decently graphic-wise and the story had some good parts to it.  I can see how people regarded it being a masterpiece back in the day, but I still value other JRPGs of the time better (probably because of nostalgia lolol).  I have to say that being able to play one-handed on the DS version helped the ease of play. 

Although I’m forced to play in landscape, I’m trying to decide on FFVI Pixel Remaster or FFT now (as I never fully played through them back in the day)…. Probably FFT.  Like Chrono Trigger and Cross, I’ve started up FFVI(III) soooo many times, but I always drop them for one reason or another.

I couldn’t find anything online regarding RE7 next gen update for PS5, playing with PSVR; whether there were any improvements with buffering, lighting, anything… So I had to download it myself, and it immediately popped up that the DS4 is incompatible with the game… Then the game wouldn’t even load when I had the PSVR turn on.  Only then did it pop up that the PS5 version does not support PSVR…

:camby
Redownloaded the PS4 version.

Beezy

« Reply #38304 on: July 05, 2022, 03:07:18 PM »
I started Guardians last night as well, but the part where the "parts picked up" message just stays on screen unless you stand still for 7 seconds and it will dissapear really annoyed me :( anyway to turn that off
??? ??? ???

Bebpo

« Reply #38305 on: July 05, 2022, 03:40:56 PM »
After 26 years, I FINALLY finished a playthrough of Chrono Trigger.  Not having much nostalgia for it, it was pretty good.  It aged decently graphic-wise and the story had some good parts to it.  I can see how people regarded it being a masterpiece back in the day, but I still value other JRPGs of the time better (probably because of nostalgia lolol).  I have to say that being able to play one-handed on the DS version helped the ease of play. 

Although I’m forced to play in landscape, I’m trying to decide on FFVI Pixel Remaster or FFT now (as I never fully played through them back in the day)…. Probably FFT.  Like Chrono Trigger and Cross, I’ve started up FFVI(III) soooo many times, but I always drop them for one reason or another.

I couldn’t find anything online regarding RE7 next gen update for PS5, playing with PSVR; whether there were any improvements with buffering, lighting, anything… So I had to download it myself, and it immediately popped up that the DS4 is incompatible with the game… Then the game wouldn’t even load when I had the PSVR turn on.  Only then did it pop up that the PS5 version does not support PSVR…
(Image removed from quote.)

I'd play FF6 for now and save FFT for later. You never know, there might be a better version of it by the time you get around to it with all these remasters/remakes these days and rumors of TO remaster/remake coming soon.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38306 on: July 05, 2022, 03:44:43 PM »
??? ??? ???

It could be an issue with the Gamepass version or something.. the prompts for finding stuff will stay onscreen untill you stand still for 10 seconds..

I also have a bit of an issue with failing QTE's and the reload then having me watching the entire cutscene (rocket drowning in jelly)
What

Bebpo

« Reply #38307 on: July 05, 2022, 03:57:52 PM »
??? ??? ???

It could be an issue with the Gamepass version or something.. the prompts for finding stuff will stay onscreen untill you stand still for 10 seconds..

I also have a bit of an issue with failing QTE's and the reload then having me watching the entire cutscene (rocket drowning in jelly)

I had some glitches with GoTG too. Game has a few bugs.

Svejk

« Reply #38308 on: July 05, 2022, 04:30:37 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd play FF6 for now and save FFT for later. You never know, there might be a better version of it by the time you get around to it with all these remasters/remakes these days and rumors of TO remaster/remake coming soon.
Good point 👍🏻

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38309 on: July 05, 2022, 08:05:41 PM »
??? ??? ???

Yeah and its a bit of a bunmer because so far I really like the game but some of these bugs annoy me.. But. There is a lot to like here, of only they could have polished it up this could be a solid 9 easily. But like I activate the huddle on a boss, a cool song starts playing but then the boss goes into another fase and theres a 5 second cutscene, and then the cool music is gone and my huddle powerup is just gone now :/.
What

Beezy

« Reply #38310 on: July 05, 2022, 10:22:27 PM »
I just beat it and luckily I haven't dealt with any of these bugs. 9/10 game for me. It deserves any praise it got.

Bebpo

« Reply #38311 on: July 05, 2022, 10:27:55 PM »
??? ??? ???

Yeah and its a bit of a bunmer because so far I really like the game but some of these bugs annoy me.. But. There is a lot to like here, of only they could have polished it up this could be a solid 9 easily. But like I activate the huddle on a boss, a cool song starts playing but then the boss goes into another fase and theres a 5 second cutscene, and then the cool music is gone and my huddle powerup is just gone now :/.

Yup, I had the game crash once on a huddle. Plus I almost always fucked up the huddle because the choices are super confusing, but that's not a bug and a game design thing  :lol

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38312 on: July 06, 2022, 01:27:21 AM »
In the huddle, you basically just say whatever the opposite is of whatever they're saying. If they're like "You're just in my way, I wanna fight alone!" then you say "We need to fight together!" or if they're like "These guys are gonna kick our butts!" then you say "No, we will kick their butts!" lmao.
©@©™

Beezy

« Reply #38313 on: July 06, 2022, 02:28:31 AM »
They explained exactly what to do in your very first huddle. It's not confusing at all. :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #38314 on: July 06, 2022, 02:30:22 AM »
I got that, but I felt like the choices weren't straight forward most of the time.

It's like "I like fighting" "I wanna rush these guys" and your choices are
"Orange juice is great!" "No, Tacos are the best"

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #38315 on: July 06, 2022, 05:42:45 AM »
The floating text behind them is another hint.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38316 on: July 06, 2022, 08:50:54 AM »
Bebpo is awful at reading the room so it is expected the Huddles are out of his league
fat

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #38317 on: July 06, 2022, 09:16:17 AM »
Beat Ys III Genesis.

Polident Hive

« Reply #38318 on: July 06, 2022, 09:37:39 AM »
Spider-Man Miles Morales locks items and achievements behind new game plus. Pretty sure the base PS4 game didn’t. Get the feeling it’s to pad out the length as it’s thin on content for something sold as a standalone $40 game. Didn’t mind the brief campaign. Had a good time. Funny how there’s an option to turn on subway loading animations. Fast travel is nearly instant on PS5 by default.

Gonna jump into GOTG next.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38319 on: July 06, 2022, 11:47:31 AM »
Bebpo is awful at reading the room so it is expected the Huddles are out of his league

Haha aww dont be mean to the nice man Demi
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38320 on: July 06, 2022, 12:16:31 PM »
Spider-Man Miles Morales locks items and achievements behind new game plus. Pretty sure the base PS4 game didn’t. Get the feeling it’s to pad out the length as it’s thin on content for something sold as a standalone $40 game. Didn’t mind the brief campaign. Had a good time. Funny how there’s an option to turn on subway loading animations. Fast travel is nearly instant on PS5 by default.

Gonna jump into GOTG next.

Wrong - PS4 Morales does too.

Source: Me, one trophy away from platinum on PS4 version
fat

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #38321 on: July 06, 2022, 04:59:37 PM »
Beat Ys III PCECD

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38322 on: July 06, 2022, 06:01:35 PM »
Resident Evil 3 - XSX
Never understood the hate for this game en though it's a bit undercooked. More of an action game than RE2, short and sweet. New ray tracing patch makes it even better.

Banner of the Maid - Steamdeck
Chinese Fire Emblem knock off based on "what if the French revolution but waifus". Fun on the Deck

Bloodstained: Circle of the Moon - Steamdeck
Castlevania. Died in the first level. good game.
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38323 on: July 07, 2022, 09:02:23 AM »
I am the PS1 king (all Platinum trophies)

https://i.imgur.com/WiVbaZk.jpg
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38324 on: July 10, 2022, 08:05:59 AM »

Finished RE3, can't wait for RE8 third person patch and RE4  :hyper
🤴

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #38325 on: July 10, 2022, 05:45:51 PM »
Haven't posted in awhile, but I think for the past month I've mostly just been playing Hades. Superb game, so much longevity. Also gave Octopath Traveler a start. Seems good.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38326 on: July 11, 2022, 05:56:55 PM »
In the huddle, you basically just say whatever the opposite is of whatever they're saying. If they're like "You're just in my way, I wanna fight alone!" then you say "We need to fight together!" or if they're like "These guys are gonna kick our butts!" then you say "No, we will kick their butts!" lmao.
Lol, award winning videogames storytelling sure is great
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38327 on: July 11, 2022, 06:51:20 PM »
Lol, award winning videogames storytelling sure is great

I mean the dialogue in the Guardian of the Galaxy movies sure isnt winning any awards..
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38328 on: July 11, 2022, 07:00:51 PM »
Beat Mission 15 and 16 in Ace Combat 7 and unlocked the JSF :cruise

I thought Mission 15 was like the final mission but then shit gets fucking crazy.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #38329 on: July 12, 2022, 05:04:21 PM »
Beat Mission 15 and 16 in Ace Combat 7 and unlocked the JSF :cruise

I thought Mission 15 was like the final mission but then shit gets fucking crazy.
I'd give Bamco my left nut if they'd update the PS5 version to have the entire campaign in VR.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38330 on: July 14, 2022, 05:36:29 PM »
Finished Ace Combat 7. The JSF and F22  :usacry just rip everything to shreds once you can afford them before that I was a big fan of the F15J.  :japancry

Man, what an absolute epic game.  :cruise

Still some DLC missions and hard mode left :rejoice
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #38331 on: July 14, 2022, 08:46:58 PM »
Finished Ace Combat 7. The JSF and F22  :usacry just rip everything to shreds once you can afford them before that I was a big fan of the F15J.  :japancry

Man, what an absolute epic game.  :cruise

Still some DLC missions and hard mode left :rejoice
:cruise
I need to go back to the dlc.. been in a VR mood of late and just been building my rank in the whopping 3 VR missions.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #38332 on: July 15, 2022, 02:54:43 AM »
I have all the cheevos except for the fly 76000km one. Still picking away at that every now and then. GOAT game

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38333 on: July 15, 2022, 02:55:50 PM »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #38334 on: July 17, 2022, 04:00:25 PM »
So kinda been lingering between stuff that is super long making minimal progress. I guess I'll play XB3 for real in a few weeks unless it sucks like XB2 and then maybe I'll give Soul Hackers 2 a try a month later or Saints Row.

SRW 30 - Still solid, 111 stages in now (DLC1-4 included). Just play a map a day or so. Should finish it in another 3-5 months at this rate before the next Super Robot Wars is announced. Game is a mostly uninteresting, but not bad at all, anniversary title with a million units so you can't even make a base team to field consistently. I use different units every map depending on the map theme. Like a Gundam stage I use all gundams, a super robot stage I use all super robots. It's comfort food and a very solid 7-8/10, but hopefully next SRW is smaller and tighter focused.

But goddamn do the Gundam Iron-Blood Orphans mechs have the best animation/sprites in the game. Given that they were a DLC add-on, with that quality it's almost assured the next licensed SRW is gonna do the entire IBO storyline with all the mechs in great animation.

AC Valhalla - Like 90 hours in. Tried started the Jorvik arc after watching The Northman and in the mood for more Vikings, but not feeling it right now. This game is hard to play outside occasionally because the gameplay itself is so nothing. The world is ok and the writing is ok, but there gameplay is post-Origins in AC is the lightest there is. I have little faith or expectations for the next AC as a GAAS title, but if they at least reboot the gameplay to have more to it I'll appreciate that. Unity/Syndicate have their problems but they were headed in the right direction and the open world was a step back imo.

TWEWY 2 - I like this. The writing, art, music and style clicks with me, but it's also long and gameplay shallow just like AC Valhalla and SRW (the only gameplay is repetitive simple combat). That's one of the problems I have with my current lineup of stuff I'm playing. It's all shallow gameplay go around and talk to people, read dialogue games that are 30-150 hours long. Basically like 3 books instead of 3 games, but I'm also reading real books and GNs at the same time so hard to get excited about this stuff.

Probably one of the reasons I'm still playing FF14 a bit each day even though I'm all caught up. At least there it's just pure gameplay of dungeon/boss run replays since I'm not questing at this point.

I also started on Steam Deck the other day

Opus: Echo of a Starsong - This Taiwanese game has ridiculously high reviews so I gave it a shot after checking and seeing it's only about 8 hours long. It reminds me a bit of 13 Sentinels. It's a beautiful game that is a mix of 2.5D cell-shaded light exploration light puzzle sections and like Star Control II universe map making choices with dice rolls through great 2d art and menus. Cities are just still art and dialogues. Like you pick to go to the bazaar and you get a brief text describing the bazaar with a generic bazaar picture and then there will be some dialogue with an NPC and a choice usually. You have some survival elements like fuel/armor/exploration kits, which give the gameplay and dice rolls some gameplay, but if you die you just restart from the last save so it's not a big deal.

Opus is mainly a game about it's story, like 13 sentinels, and about 2.5 hours in I'm pretty impressed by the world building. The reviews talk that up and yeah it's like Mass Effect or better quality space hard sci-fi world building of a section of the universe post-mining wars. The characters are anime, but good anime and it has Japanese VA now which is good. Liking it so far, though gameplay is very light and best to treat it like a VN with some gameplay like 13 Sentinels. Though fyi game is not like 13 Sentinels in that it's not full of a million twists and turns. It's a more typical anime story.

But yeah, coming from these I really need a game that's actually meaty gameplay focused. Hope XB3 has good gameplay and isn't just a talky shallow game. Basically one of the reasons I'm skipping Live-A-Live HD since the demo just seemed pretty talky with slow simple battles.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 04:04:44 PM by Bebpo »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38335 on: July 17, 2022, 05:25:56 PM »
Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengeance

This game goes hard  :whew

I found a resolution patch for PC. Looks nice and crisp now  :)
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38336 on: July 18, 2022, 05:26:08 PM »
Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengeance
Children are being gassed, their brains used for cyborgs and Raiden wears a sombrero.
"No news outlet would run or investigate this, it's all legal" :dead

Now I'm having codec calls with my robot dog about how I'm too violent and reckless.

What the hell is this game  :lol
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38337 on: July 18, 2022, 05:33:56 PM »
the best game ur making me wanna reinstall that badboy
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38338 on: July 20, 2022, 06:18:33 AM »
I played a bit of Stray last night. Very atmospheric and beautiful. But on the other hand I wish the cat was even more detailed. Like its nose which looks more like a texture than an actual nose.
What

Svejk

« Reply #38339 on: July 20, 2022, 10:15:29 AM »
I played a bit of Stray last night. Very atmospheric and beautiful. But on the other hand I wish the cat was even more detailed. Like its nose which looks more like a texture than an actual nose.
Yeah , I don't get it... it always looked so PS360ish in all the trailers, etc...  It looks so gamey next to everything else.  It needs to be modded stat.   Now if modders (or devs) would go the distance and do different cat breeds and color modding (like Palicos in MHW), is really what should have been done. 

I wanna play it, but I can't justify a 3.5 hour game for $40 atm..  :-\  Tempted to bump my PS+ to extra or premium for a year just to give it (the service) a whirl..
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 10:20:00 AM by Svejk »