Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3591250 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #38460 on: September 15, 2022, 11:33:05 AM »
Turning Valkyrie Profile, with its unique battle system and gameplay, into a generic mash em up is one of the biggest RPG sins I've ever seen in my life and action RPG lovers should really quietly put a noose around their necks to sacrifice themselves for the rest of us.

same applies to the Shining series after the Saturn

I honestly don't miss Shining that much. It's basically Fire Emblem with a Sega shell. If you like Shining you have a replacement in the Fire Emblem series which is well and alive (and thriving). There is only one Valkyrie Profile with its unique lore, setting, dungeons, and battle system though.

mostly I miss that very specific art style and feel, which isn't necessarily something that's re-capturable without the same artists involved:

That said, yeah. Turning turn based franchises into action games makes me question the point in playing RPGs. If you like the gameplay, chances are some developer will try to change it and make it an action game because of increasing development costs because "turn based battles aren't popular". Combined with really gay anime storylines and I really struggle to see the point in investing in the RPG genre. Better to get into tabletop RPGs instead. No one is trying to change that into an action game.

Waiting almost a twenty years (!) for Valkyrie Profile Hrist only to get Elysium makes me satisfied in my conclusion about jrpgs.

no one ever seems to recognize that pokemon is still largely turn-based and also the best selling franchise of anything globally

popular in spite of being turn-based, rather than because of it? maybe, but at least acknowledge that it's possible to see wild success with the format

all strategy games are turn-based, they just have an extra tactical layer...but yeah it's like criticizing Fire Emblem, or XCOM, or Disgaea, or a huge amount of successful mobile games which rely on taking a limited number of turns before you run out of energy

games like Octopath and Bravely Default 2 don't sell absurd numbers but they still tend to be successes
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 11:37:53 AM by Uncle »
Uncle

Svejk

« Reply #38461 on: September 15, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »
No, its just the PSP version of VP1
Did the PSP one ever fix the weird balancing thing where hard was easy and easy was hard?

Himu

« Reply #38462 on: September 15, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »
Turning Valkyrie Profile, with its unique battle system and gameplay, into a generic mash em up is one of the biggest RPG sins I've ever seen in my life and action RPG lovers should really quietly put a noose around their necks to sacrifice themselves for the rest of us.

same applies to the Shining series after the Saturn

I honestly don't miss Shining that much. It's basically Fire Emblem with a Sega shell. If you like Shining you have a replacement in the Fire Emblem series which is well and alive (and thriving). There is only one Valkyrie Profile with its unique lore, setting, dungeons, and battle system though.

mostly I miss that very specific art style and feel, which isn't necessarily something that's re-capturable without the same artists involved:

(Image removed from quote.)

That said, yeah. Turning turn based franchises into action games makes me question the point in playing RPGs. If you like the gameplay, chances are some developer will try to change it and make it an action game because of increasing development costs because "turn based battles aren't popular". Combined with really gay anime storylines and I really struggle to see the point in investing in the RPG genre. Better to get into tabletop RPGs instead. No one is trying to change that into an action game.

Waiting almost a twenty years (!) for Valkyrie Profile Hrist only to get Elysium makes me satisfied in my conclusion about jrpgs.

no one ever seems to recognize that pokemon is still largely turn-based and also the best selling franchise of anything globally

popular in spite of being turn-based, rather than because of it? maybe, but at least acknowledge that it's possible to see wild success with the format

all strategy games are turn-based, they just have an extra tactical layer...but yeah it's like criticizing Fire Emblem, or XCOM, or Disgaea, or a huge amount of successful mobile games which rely on taking a limited number of turns before you run out of energy

games like Octopath and Bravely Default 2 don't sell absurd numbers but they still tend to be successes

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying that's the mindset. Final Fantasy VII Remake was an action based hybrid because "it would make more money" despite the fact it was the remake to Final Fantasy VII - meaning it would have sold well anyways.

And yes, Pokemon proves this wrong. Persona proves it wrong. Classic Final Fantasy proves it wrong. Civilization, XCOM, classic Fallout, Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Divinity. They don't care and they're still turning legacy franchises into action games because it would be more lucrative and expand their playerbase.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 11:50:03 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #38463 on: September 15, 2022, 12:05:53 PM »
Valkyrie seemed like B game fun to me.

I guess at this point I just don’t care. So many neat and cool games to play for me.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38464 on: September 15, 2022, 12:39:48 PM »
The thing with action RPG's is that they are better for marketing than turn based RPG's.
Even if turn-based gameplay is very solid, it looks kinda boring and outdated in trailers.

If you see someone running around, jumping and slashing with a sword it's easier to make it look cool.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #38465 on: September 15, 2022, 01:24:39 PM »
Can you save during missions in Valkyrie? I hear the missions are like PS2 era long. If there's no save checkpoints every 5-10 mins, there's no way I'm touching this.

archnemesis

« Reply #38466 on: September 15, 2022, 01:46:40 PM »
Can you save during missions in Valkyrie? I hear the missions are like PS2 era long. If there's no save checkpoints every 5-10 mins, there's no way I'm touching this.
The PSP has a great sleep mode. You could also play it in an emulator with save states. The first two games are both fantastic. I don't remember much of the DS game.

Himu

« Reply #38467 on: September 15, 2022, 02:24:51 PM »

Are you talking about Elysium?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #38468 on: September 15, 2022, 02:28:10 PM »
The thing with action RPG's is that they are better for marketing than turn based RPG's.
Even if turn-based gameplay is very solid, it looks kinda boring and outdated in trailers.

If you see someone running around, jumping and slashing with a sword it's easier to make it look cool.

This makes no sense as turn based jrpgs are infamous dope attack animations?

And the franchise we are talking about is famous for having an in-depth combo system within that turh based gameplay as well as dope special attacks?

Whatever you want to say, Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 look way cooler. Because VP was already cool, and the complete opposite of boring. And they still turned that into an action game.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:38:07 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38469 on: September 15, 2022, 03:13:10 PM »

Yes.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38470 on: September 15, 2022, 03:16:25 PM »
Trying to finish Elden Ring
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38471 on: September 15, 2022, 08:42:42 PM »

Yes.

The demo has save points in the mission you can play.  I would highly recommend trying it out before buying it- it's not worth it, at least not for full price.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #38472 on: September 15, 2022, 09:06:12 PM »
GT3 and GT4 are so addictive they've taken away my game time from everything else. I can't stop thinking about them.

Which do I prefer? Hard decision, but I lean 4.

I feel like GT4 is more difficult than 3. In 3 you can shortcut through s curves and stuff but GT4 requires more patience and skill. I feel like GT4 is more rewarding in terms of driving well whereas in 3 it is as if it's up to my cars upgrades a lot of the time.

This guy's video is a great display of that. He articulates this is why he prefers GT3 but I think this may be why GT4 is better, because it requires more skill.

The car he's driving is 276HP 4WD. Of course it requires precision and mastering a car like that shouldn't be easy.

Not that difficulty means better, but 4 just feels more rewarding. You get a car for getting a license. In 3, you need to get all Gold on a license to get a car. In GT4 you get one just for completing a license regardless of how you've performed. 4 is always rewarding the player for actually achieving things, whether it's a new map added to a circuit/cup or a new car. You're always moving forward even if it's at a snails pace towards a goal. Meanwhile 3 reuses a lot of the same races and tracks over and over. GT4 stands as an honest to goodness car encyclopedia and I cannot get enough of it. It is easily one of the greatest games I've ever played. I do think GT3 has better AI, though!

Moreover, GT3 and especially 4 are so cozy. I never realized how comfortable and relaxing Gran Turismo games were. They're tough as nails and yet so gentle about it. They're so relaxing and I cannot think of a single piece of music that exemplifies this more than GT4's home/garage music that sounds straight out of Animal Crossing.

This song just distills the essence of elegance in Gran Turismo and brings back memories of open countryside roads, snacks, and crossword puzzles during family trips, as we all laugh at each other's bad jokes. It evokes the relief when you finally make it home safely after a long day at work or vacation so that you can finally declare "I'm home", some thing that we all take for granted until it's too late. It evokes that and more.

Even more importantly is what GT has to teach and that's respect for and love for cars. Other racing games kind of use vehicles as a sort of transport, but not with as much respect or love to the history of our four wheeled friends in the way Gran Turismo does. Since starting these games up I've been noticing car brands a lot more when before I couldn't give a rats ass. I've been paying attention to my own car, both in and out of the game. Your choice of car really does speak to your personality. I'll admit that I've never been a "car guy", but after plunking hours in GT3 and 4 obsessively I can admit they're pretty fucking neat.

What a game.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:35:39 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38473 on: September 15, 2022, 09:43:51 PM »
Do you have a PS4 or PS5 Himu?

GT7 is still my GoTY, even over Elden Ring. It feels like the older games but with modern flourishes and one of the best driving models there is. Highly recommend it if you have either PS4 or PS5.

Bebpo

« Reply #38474 on: September 15, 2022, 09:45:27 PM »

Yes.

The demo has save points in the mission you can play.  I would highly recommend trying it out before buying it- it's not worth it, at least not for full price.

Nah, don't care enough to spend the time to download and play the demo. Just reading impressions which are generally favorable in a "wait until it's $20 and it could be a solid arpg with some depth to the combat". Gonna wait for reviews and if they like the story and combat I'll grab it at $20.

Himu

« Reply #38475 on: September 15, 2022, 10:06:42 PM »
Do you have a PS4 or PS5 Himu?

GT7 is still my GoTY, even over Elden Ring. It feels like the older games but with modern flourishes and one of the best driving models there is. Highly recommend it if you have either PS4 or PS5.

I like GT3 and 4 so much I'm actually considering a PS5 after not wanting one. The fact GT7 is on PS4 though is keeping not tethered to PS5, so that's a relief. Otherwise I'd probably have to get one. Whew.  :doge So Series X still has my heart with lock and key.

I saw a trailer for GT7 and I was happy to see it still has that GT coziness in the Cafe mode. Though I do have reservations. I've read it has an emphasis on Micro transactions and has limited single player content? Although that it's a live service? I mean, Benny said earlier they're slow dripping the game content rather giving us a complete game like GT4. Can you articulate why it's your GOTY or how this game works?

I mean, the days of GT being top dog seem to be over and I could just get Asetto Corsa instead.

IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38476 on: September 15, 2022, 11:19:26 PM »
Though I do have reservations. I've read it has an emphasis on Micro transactions and has limited single player content? Although that it's a live service? I mean, Benny said earlier they're slow dripping the game content rather giving us a complete game like GT4. Can you articulate why it's your GOTY or how this game works?

This is almost completely incorrect.

If you care about the top 10-20% of the cars that cost millions in GT3/GT4 and are the end game cars, yeah microtransactions are a thing. The other 80% of the hundreds and hundreds of cars are all normal prices and normally obtainable as trophy cars and from the used and new car lot. A lot of the griping initially came down to the MP. Basically if you wanted the best top 1% cars to compete in the top MP races it was a grind to get them. I think that's a bit better at this point.

It also has the best single player campaign in the series since the old games. It took me about 40 hours to go through and that's before the GAAS additional campaign mode events they've been adding. I was 100% satisfied with the single player campaign. Between the license tests, the special events and the main campaign it was a nice meaty single player arcade-sim racer, the likes I haven't played in many years and I've played all the Forzas and GTs. It's not open-ended at all, it's a very pinpoint linear campaign like the old GTs and I prefer that for racing campaigns.

Instead of playing the 3-10 hours of additional single player campaign (basically post-game campaign) every month or two when it drops I'm taking a break. I got 40-50 hours of great fun from GT7 and was fully satisfied. I'll come back once a year or so if they keep adding to it and have myself a nice little 30 hour free DLC expansion campaign and new cars to enjoy.

The online is fun too, though it's taken a few steps back from Sport which was GT online at its best. There's some nice modes but people drive dumb and the game is bad at penalizing bad drivers that push you off turns and stuff. It's a fun diversion but for me GT7 is just a really good single player game.

It also controls amazingly well and looks nice and has a ton of tracks. The only downside is it's missing city tracks because PS4 can't handle that graphically and it's cross-gen. If GT8 isn't cross-gen I think we'll get cities again to drive through. But there's some truly great tracks in here.

Also GT7's focus is on verticality. Something I've never seen in a sim racer before. The stages have lots of elevation changes and the physics work with it so you have to take the vertical changes into consideration along with the horizontal changes in the road as you're driving. It's pretty cool and gives it a unique challenging and exciting feel especially if you keep most of the assists off. Driving heavy cars through downhills with turns is crazy difficult but rewarding.

I've never spent a cent on any microtransactions in GT7 fwiw. I had like 150 cars or something in my garage by the end of the game and have a decent amount of money still.

Also the photomode stuff is pretty great and there's like 8,000 locations to shoot at  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #38477 on: September 15, 2022, 11:45:26 PM »
Also, like you mentioned, the cafe has a nice cozy feel to it. I like the talking head NPCs that talk to you. If you stick with a car for a few races someone will tell you some random facts about the car which is cool.

Between the museum with tons of car history, lots of flavor text about each car, photomode, and great on-track physics, GT7 feels like a car game for people who love cars and car history and want to learn about cars, look at cars and drive cars and get that enjoyment out of it.

The tuning is also great and feels like the old GT games. Lots of tuning options and you can buy all the parts and then blow past everyone just like the old games. GT7 brings back the car-rpg aspect of the PS1/PS2 games. If you can't beat something you can always get better equipment and overpower your enemies. Grinding always wins. It's an rpg.

That's also a reason why people prefer MP for challenges. Though events in the back 1/3rd of the campaign get pretty restrictive on upgrades to even out the difficulty more.

On the downside, another thing is the game gives you these lottery wheelspins like Forza, except they are the most rigged spins in any game ever. Apparently this is because your chance to win like a car in the spin is like 1/50 but visually it's just represented as a 1/6th chance as it spins around 6 items. In 40 hours and probably 50-100 wheelspins I don't think I ever won a car once. Maybe one time. You almost always win the worst prize which is like $5. But just go into the wheelspins assuming you will always only get $5 out of them and it's fine. It'd just be nice if you could skip the wheelspin animation. Not sure if they've added any QoL regarding that since launch.

Bebpo

« Reply #38478 on: September 15, 2022, 11:49:33 PM »
The dynamic weather is also very cool. Other games have done it, but the physics are so good here and rain will mess you up badly without the right tires, so when you're driving down the ring and then 2/3rds in it starts to rain it gets very intense.

I've driven Nurburgring in a bunch of arcade-sims since like PGR2 and this is the first game where I got it and understand why people like this track. I had so many good intense memorable moments and races in GT7's campaign on that track. Epic stuff.

I think not having rewind as a clutch to fall back on also makes it more intense.

Bebpo

« Reply #38479 on: September 16, 2022, 12:06:23 AM »
Another thing I thought of is the AI is extremely terrible. They don't acknowledge you or react to you at all. This means they will mess you up on turns. So basically you learn real quick how to avoid interacting with the AI cars.

Good AI called Sophy is coming at some point but who knows when that'll be. The terrible AI does bring the game down a bit unfortunately.

Himu

« Reply #38480 on: September 16, 2022, 12:37:08 AM »
Fuck you Bebpo this sounds like gotg. :stahp

It's also sounding like the first real game I'd like for a PS5. Thankfully it's on PS4. I really don't want to reward PlayStation with a console purchase this gen despite being a PS diehard in the past.

What are your thoughts on Forza Motorsport, Bebpo? Is it cozy like GT? What's the vibe?

Edit: this game is so godlike and I'm obsessed

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 12:52:54 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38481 on: September 16, 2022, 01:24:50 AM »
I like Forza (especially 7 which was gorgeous and played great) but as a single player campaign it's too unfocused for me. Horizon even more so with like Horizon 5 where there's a million things to do. It's super fun but personally without more a focused campaign I get burned out. Just a personal preference.

Horizon 5 is the first Horizon I haven't finished. But still looking forward to Forza 8 when it comes out. There are things that Forza still does better like a million wheelspins and you actually win rewarding stuff. Also all the livery sharing and community features. Plus the AI is way better than GT7. The matchmaking in MP is great too.

Also Forza keeps staying graphically ahead of GT, for instance 8 won't be cross-gen iirc, so it should look real nice. And Forza games still have city tracks which I appreciate. I think the cars look better in GT personally though. The car lighting just looks more realistic to me.

Himu

« Reply #38482 on: September 16, 2022, 02:11:17 PM »
Talking to a friend about GT7 he corroborates your experience and says as a lover of GT1-4 that the game is legit and he's platinumed it. He couldn't get into 5, 6, and Sport but wholly recommends GT7.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #38483 on: September 17, 2022, 11:47:51 AM »
Returnal - Got past the 4th biome on first try.  :cruise Supposedly the 5th doesn't even have a boss, so I'm fine with that.  I went ahead and suspended my run after the 4th.  Will carry on later tonight. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38484 on: September 17, 2022, 11:57:10 AM »

Yes.

Nah, don't care enough to spend the time to download and play the demo. Just reading impressions which are generally favorable in a "wait until it's $20 and it could be a solid arpg with some depth to the combat". Gonna wait for reviews and if they like the story and combat I'll grab it at $20.

Or you could just try the demo and see if it's even worth that twenty bucks.   :doge
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38485 on: September 17, 2022, 03:48:07 PM »
What if the demo is decent but then the game turns to/is the same old shit after a few hours :thinking

The original crackdown says hello  ;)
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #38486 on: September 17, 2022, 07:32:49 PM »
This looks like game of the generation. The car factoids, the history, the relaxing music, the GT coziness and elegance. Damn :lawd

IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38487 on: September 17, 2022, 07:58:14 PM »
I mean, it's not perfect, but it's a good GT that feels like the old games but with modern gfx and physics and a GAAS stream of free content for probably a couple of years if GT Sport is anything to go by.

Bebpo

« Reply #38488 on: September 17, 2022, 11:48:13 PM »
So, against my dislike of demos (just feel like a waste of time usually), I tried a bunch of demos tonight.

Wo Long - Ehh, it's Nioh still. I was hoping the controls in this one would be more like Sekiro but still feels like Nioh and kinda stiff to me. I wish attack was on R1 and not square/triangle, but I can get used to it. Also stealth kills don't feel smooth compared to Sekiro or stealth games. Still, seems neat, and tough. When is someone going to tell this team that there is no one on the planet earth that likes their loot-every-30-seconds gear system? I keep hoping the next game they will drop this shit but it's always still here. I don't want to have to stop and bring up the equip menu every other minute in these games. So dumb.

Valkyrie Elysium - This was surprisingly quite good. The combat has a ton of weight to it and feel great. Solid amount of options between the support strikers, elemental magic, teleport chain, various combos, etc... also looks way better than I expected on PS5. With VRR it's a solid 60fps. Good dual sense usage too. Still, it's an arpg and I don't really like arpgs so not something I'll grab day one. Does make me think that a Souls-like game would work for Valkyrie Profile.

Diofeld Chronicles - This was probably the best demo I played. Really polished. Looks nice and has a ton of control options. Just like I don't like arpgs, I don't like rts games either. If this was turn-based it feels like it could be a halfway between Divinity OS and Fire Emblem. But you can pause pretty frequently and issue commands which may save it and might still be enjoyable for people like me that hate real time in their rpgs/strategy games. Feels like the game has a lot of style too. I'll probably play this one. I'm very curious if the PC version will have proper mouse controls. If so, that's the way to go.

Harvestella Prologue - I played like an hour and I think I actually got to play for like 5 mins and that consisted of the shittest simple no-weight/impact combat against like 2 types of enemies. But man this has great art and good music (Go Shiina). I've never played a farming game before, might be interested in this just for the art/music, but what the fuck is up with Japanese games having like 30-60 mins of cutscenes and tutorials before you can even play the games. It's one reason I don't play demos. I fall asleep playing all these games that don't just let me pick up the controller and play around within the first few mins and try to pick it up on my own and figure things out. That's just my old man grumps  :maf

So anyhow, this was all just kind of ok and boring and will help me fall asleep tonight from the dullness. I'm now good on trying any demos for another 6-12 months.

Polident Hive

« Reply #38489 on: September 18, 2022, 06:24:41 AM »
Yeah. Wo Long continues my feeling about the Nioh: they put two too many systems in it.

Cool setting, though.

Svejk

« Reply #38490 on: September 18, 2022, 01:15:52 PM »
Returnal - Biome 5 down on first try.   8) Suspended cycle again. :P
Game rules.

Horizon 2 - .is it just me? but why are the controls kinda shit compared to the first?  Aloy's interactions with environmental parts are kind of all over the place. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:12:53 PM by Svejk »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #38491 on: September 18, 2022, 03:54:37 PM »
The climbing is complete ass in FW. I hated how you could only climb yellow handholds in the original since it made no sense in a massive open world, but I’d take that a million times over the absolute shit they came up with in the sequel. Genuinely the worse of both worlds.
Margs

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38492 on: September 18, 2022, 03:58:38 PM »
Its legit dog shit, making the usual Sony brain-dead platforming imprecise and fiddly was highly frustrating :rage

There was one of the story missions that drove me crazy because the platforming sucks so bad and it was nearly all platforming, some ledges being 50/50 whether she grabs it or not on this try. I'd have hoped they ironed all that out by now.
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #38493 on: September 18, 2022, 11:55:18 PM »

:)
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #38494 on: September 19, 2022, 12:31:02 AM »
I have to admit, Horizon 2 was kind of lame. The platforming was shockingly terrible. To me the point of platforming for dummies is to make it so seamless that you just get past that it's pretty automated and easy. That it feels and looks cool, often in two it feels awkward. Then it feels confusing as things that to your logic look like they should be climbable.
Even with the highlight mode turned on.

Then the story just felt aimless. It did't feel like a cool mystery. No hook of "how did the world get this way". The problem with that was that 1"s backstory aspect was the best part. It also lacked those cool old world datalogs. I think HW1 had some of the best dead diaries and this has basically zero. I also think the 1st game had a much better world, with a cooler Main City. Still, there are some sights to see.

The combat felt a bit more tedious. All these arrow types and shield types, it just felt like I was in the weapon wheel more than anything. Still, plenty of the monsters were cool.

Like the game is more or less worth playing for visuals if you care about that.  You'll get some cool battles here and there.

Svejk

« Reply #38495 on: September 19, 2022, 01:10:40 PM »
Like the game is more or less worth playing for visuals if you care about that.  You'll get some cool battles here and there.
In retrospect, I think that was the main reason I up and played through H1.  The graphics were incredible and the robo combat was fast and frantic.  Aloy controlled surprisingly well too. 
But after recently finishing Elden Ring, the thought of playing through H2 right now only to get teh grafixes (I am a fair weather graphics whore) and fight more robo varieties, but to sink so many more hours into another open world game just to enjoy those few instances, just sounds too tedious.  And from what most have been honestly saying about it, I'm not sure how much of my attention this game will hold currently. 

Besides Returnal, I've been playing pieces of Arkham Asylum and Tomb Raider: DE too, and have been thoroughly enjoying them more than H2 atm.  Loving the smaller, more focused scale of them.  Heck, I even started getting into Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 also.  Still yearning for a good classic spaceship shmup too.  What I would give for a Thunder Force 3&4 Remaster.  :aah

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38496 on: September 19, 2022, 04:29:01 PM »
Why are the mission intros in Ace Combat 7 so fucking long and boring?
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38497 on: September 20, 2022, 01:46:16 AM »
Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - Game is gorgeous, and pretty easy overall, but it's unclear which weapon is for which enemy. I've collected all weapons, and have upgraded them each about halfway. Running out of ammo is not fun, but being forced to fight with the full array of weapons creates good suspense and player desperation.

Some levels are polished and seamless, and fun to complete. Some levels are less so, particularly with poor messaging about Ratchet's grapple-line targets.

I guess I could just learn to look up more frequently.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38498 on: September 20, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »
Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - Game is gorgeous, and pretty easy overall, but it's unclear which weapon is for which enemy. I've collected all weapons, and have upgraded them each about halfway. Running out of ammo is not fun, but being forced to fight with the full array of weapons creates good suspense and player desperation.

Some levels are polished and seamless, and fun to complete. Some levels are less so, particularly with poor messaging about Ratchet's grapple-line targets.

I guess I could just learn to look up more frequently.

That was my first Ratchet game and I kinda felt similar to you - with the grapple targets and how some levels just felt kinda jank (the swamp level where you were riding the creatures around). Was also not a fan of how it seemed to be much more combat heavy and less platforming heavy than I expected. The whole game felt very PS2-ish in terms of game design.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #38499 on: September 21, 2022, 01:09:12 AM »
Star Ocean 6 Demo

What is this nonsense. How do I actually like a Star Ocean game when I am Mr. I-hate-every-Star-Ocean-post-SO2.

This game is pretty fun and the graphics and art direction are pretty nice and music is good. It is jank af and the invisible walls are sooooo non-compatible with the jetpack platforming gameplay, and the character designs are still embarrassing and cutscenes are star ocean, but this is pretty fun.

...I might actually play through this. I've played all the SO games to finish except SO5 because people hated it so much I never put the time in.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:15:03 AM by Bebpo »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #38500 on: September 21, 2022, 02:20:47 AM »
I'm just playing The Evil Within for like the 6th time. Keep going back to that game, I just really like it! Helps that I'm double dipping on cheevos. Up to Chapter 6 on AKUMU mode and yeah one hit kills are some cheap BS but I just can't put this down for whatever reason. I got every single cheevo on the 360 version so gunning for the Xbox One completion as well

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #38501 on: September 21, 2022, 02:22:26 AM »

Just skip them lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38502 on: September 21, 2022, 02:42:14 AM »

Just skip them lol
I made that decision about 1 minute into the first one
Spud

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #38503 on: September 21, 2022, 10:40:22 AM »
I'm just playing The Evil Within for like the 6th time. Keep going back to that game, I just really like it! Helps that I'm double dipping on cheevos. Up to Chapter 6 on AKUMU mode and yeah one hit kills are some cheap BS but I just can't put this down for whatever reason. I got every single cheevo on the 360 version so gunning for the Xbox One completion as well

:respect
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #38504 on: September 22, 2022, 08:43:12 PM »
I'm almost done with Immortality and I think this is a mediocre/bad "game". It's an interesting piece of art, but it's pretty boring to play. Feels less interactive than Her Story which I also thought was pretty mediocre.

The good part is that the 3 fake movies are pretty fun movies. Though watching them bit by bit and some scenes multiple times and in slow motion kinda drags them.

The bad part is that the "hidden" story seems fucking terrible. The game is also way too long for what it is. I can't manage more than about 20 mins a play session.

The game also feels weirdly voyeuristic and creepy? Like this game stars some young actress in like her first gig and you spend the whole time watching and rewinding and going frame by frame through three fake films that seem pretty male gaze/sexualized of exploiting her body. Not sure if it's supposed to be female empowering or just creepy since it's written & directed by a man.

It also makes me think that this format would have worked so much better as a horror game where you are editing a film and have to find creepy things hidden within the film reel by going back and forth frame by frame and in slow motion to locate them and solve the mystery.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:51:12 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #38505 on: September 23, 2022, 12:57:49 AM »
Ok, yeah, finished up Immortality. Thought the story was dumb. Maybe better than XB3's story but that's about it. I don't like Sam Barlow games. At least now I've learned that.

Was an ok art experiment thing, but I do wish it was like half as long.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38506 on: September 23, 2022, 01:54:04 PM »
Star Ocean 6 Demo

What is this nonsense. How do I actually like a Star Ocean game when I am Mr. I-hate-every-Star-Ocean-post-SO2.

This game is pretty fun and the graphics and art direction are pretty nice and music is good. It is jank af and the invisible walls are sooooo non-compatible with the jetpack platforming gameplay, and the character designs are still embarrassing and cutscenes are star ocean, but this is pretty fun.

...I might actually play through this. I've played all the SO games to finish except SO5 because people hated it so much I never put the time in.
Dare I say this looks like Xenoblade?
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #38507 on: September 23, 2022, 03:52:28 PM »
The environments look like Xenoblade if it was on a modern system with modern graphic capabilities, yeah.

Though the fields are very tiny in SO6 and nothing like Xenoblade. Closer to Tales of fields.

Bebpo

« Reply #38508 on: September 23, 2022, 10:54:54 PM »
Enjoying Return to Monkey Island a lot. In Act IV now.

I think after this I'll finally get to my backlog and play Thimbleweed Park as well as do a replay of MI 1/2/3. Maybe even 4 and Tales of if I'm up for it at that point. Haven't played any of the MI games since their original releases and never finished Tales of Monkey Island because it was boring like all the Telltale games outside Sam & Max and Walking Dead S1.

Tasty

« Reply #38509 on: September 24, 2022, 05:35:12 PM »
Himu's convincing me to give realistic racing sims another try.

Svejk

« Reply #38510 on: September 24, 2022, 07:05:43 PM »
Returnal - Biome 6  :rage
Not so much the enemies, it's the millions of bottomless pits.

Bebpo

« Reply #38511 on: September 24, 2022, 08:36:45 PM »
Finished Return to Monkey Island. Was great! It's nice to play a new entry in an old classic franchise and it's actually good and satisfying. There's a few bits I'm not 100% with, but it was perfect for like 90-95% of the journey. Took me about 8 hours not rushing it which is a good length for an adventure game.

I looked at the achievements and they're actually HARD. Like if you tried to do this without a guide, good fucking luck. Even with a guide looks pretty time intensive to 100%. Glad I'm not OCD about that stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #38512 on: September 24, 2022, 09:09:36 PM »
Also with Return to Monkey Island

Major Ending Spoilers
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The ending is pretty crazy in that one way to read it is that it retcons the entire series and makes it so every MI game was just a story a guy working the floor at an amusement park made up and then he turns off the lights and leaves with his wife whose also a pirate otaku nut.

It explains that there's no official canon and all the games count and can have discrepancies because it's just Guybrush the Floor Janitor telling made up pirate stories.

Normally I hate this kind of franchise retcon like Star Ocean 3, but I think I'm ok with that take? Maybe since it was never a serious franchise to begin with, it not being "real" is fine to me.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #38513 on: September 25, 2022, 01:55:10 AM »

Started on my The Secret of Monkey Island replay. Tried the 2010ish Special Edition and it fucking sucks like I remembered it. They fixed almost everything with MI2 SE, but MI1 SE just sucks outside the voice acting which is great. Turns out there's a way to build a ScummVM version out of it that's the original game with all the SE voice acting put in.

http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html

Played a couple of hours tonight and finished Act I and got off Melee Island. The game is still pretty great 33 years later (I played this at launch when I was 7 lol, and I still remember a few bits, shows the lasting power of some of the lines), but there's a few kinda tedious bits, the biggest one just being that you can't access the island map except from the lookout which means every time you have to go into town you have to walk through 3-4 screens or so to get back to the map. Don't remember if MI2 and beyond changed this, but thankfully Return added an exit to the map on the left side of town at the governor's mansion as well. A few puzzles are kind of huh and I'm speedrunning it so keeping a walkthrough open on the side, but most are still pretty reasonable and the dialogue is good. Coming from Return, Return is much better written humor. All that writing experience paying off.

It kind of surprises me how little music MI1 has outside specific spots. It's a pretty quiet game, especially if you aren't playing with the new VA. Return has great music.

Will finish this up quick and jump right into MI2 where I'll just play the SE version.

Svejk

« Reply #38514 on: September 25, 2022, 11:21:39 AM »
Absolutely destroyed biome 6 in Returnal last night and watched the credits roll.  8) What a cool ass game.  Apparently there's a lot more stuff to complete afterwards for the real ending.  Gonna keep at it for now.  So much fun.  :hyper

Himu

« Reply #38515 on: September 25, 2022, 11:28:37 AM »
Return is so much better and MI1 has some of the most tedious and obscure puzzles.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38516 on: September 25, 2022, 12:40:36 PM »
Return is so much better and MI1 has some of the most tedious and obscure puzzles.

Can't fully comment until I finish this MI1 replay since it's been so long since I first played that one. But yeah, a couple of hours into MI1 replay, Return seems like a better game by current standards of writing & design (although you can say that for MI1's obscure puzzles, Return's puzzles are generally too easy), but MI1 still seems really good for its time.

Melee Island Act I was pretty meaty for a 1989 game. I really only think the writing is a bit less witty than my memories of it and a couple of the puzzles were kind of obscure (like how was I supposed to know yellow flowers + stewed meat = meat that puts dogs to sleep? Or even that the troll wants a stewed fish?). I don't even mind the sword fighting insult grind of getting all the insults and answers because it goes pretty quick.

Himu

« Reply #38517 on: September 25, 2022, 12:44:19 PM »
MI1's writing is still great. LeChuck's island is way better than Melee Island.

Give Maniac Mansion a shot after your MI run. There's a free remake called Maniac Mansion Deluxe with scumm and it rocks. I prefer MM and DotT to most MI games.
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38519 on: September 25, 2022, 12:50:42 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't mind replaying Maniac Mansion and DotT. I was never a big fan of MM. I liked it but thematically as a kid it didn't grab me. Day of the Tentacle was awesome though and one of my favorites of the era. Again, I typically never replay games, so I haven't played either MM or DoTT in about 30 years and don't remember much from them at this point.

For Lucasarts, my favorite point and clicks of the 90s in no particular order would've been something like: Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, Monkey Island 3, and Grim Fandango if you wanna go that late.

For Sierra, my favorite point and clicks of the 90s were Gabriel Knight 1 (easily #1 by far), Kings Quest V & VI, and maybe Space Quest IV but honestly looking back I think I liked Space Quest games because I had nothing else to play and enjoyed the masochism. I don't think I'd enjoy replaying SQ these days.