Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3605523 times)

Himu

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #38400 on: September 06, 2022, 10:33:25 AM »
The Shin Chan game got localized? Amazing news. I always wanted the Summer Vacation series and this seems the next best thing.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38401 on: September 06, 2022, 10:46:38 AM »
Yeah, it just came out a few weeks ago for Switch/PS4/PC.
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #38402 on: September 06, 2022, 11:03:55 AM »
Beat Portal 1. Haven't played it in over a decade and it was as much a thrill as it when it first came out and I was obsessed with it. Still a classic. I look forward to Portal 2 which I haven't played since release.  God it's good to love games again and revisit the games I feel in love with. I truly believe my depression is cleared.
Really been wanting to play Portal 1, since I haven't played it, but adored Portal 2 on PS.   I find it hyper gay that they dump the Portal Companion Collection on everything BUT PS.   :mindblown :comeon

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #38403 on: September 06, 2022, 11:11:39 AM »
Beat Portal 1. Haven't played it in over a decade and it was as much a thrill as it when it first came out and I was obsessed with it. Still a classic. I look forward to Portal 2 which I haven't played since release.  God it's good to love games again and revisit the games I feel in love with. I truly believe my depression is cleared.
Really been wanting to play Portal 1, since I haven't played it, but adored Portal 2 on PS.   I find it hyper gay that they dump the Portal Companion Collection on everything BUT PS.   :mindblown :comeon

Portal might literally run on actual toasters these days breh
Margs

Himu

« Reply #38404 on: September 06, 2022, 11:12:24 AM »
Play Portal 2 before 1?

Get it on steam. Cheap, easy to run.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #38405 on: September 06, 2022, 12:52:56 PM »

Portal might literally run on actual toasters these days breh
Play Portal 2 before 1?

Get it on steam. Cheap, easy to run.
But I want muh tropheez  :noah

Yeah, Portal 2 was a PS+ freebie back then, so I thought I try it... Ended up absolutely loving it.

Himu

« Reply #38406 on: September 06, 2022, 01:54:23 PM »
Honestly you made a grave mistake. Portal 1 is much more basic than Portal 2 in terms of puzzles. 2 is an iteration.

I guess enjoy the story and atmosphere? Idk.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #38407 on: September 06, 2022, 02:51:40 PM »
Honestly you made a grave mistake. Portal 1 is much more basic than Portal 2 in terms of puzzles. 2 is an iteration.

I guess enjoy the story and atmosphere? Idk.
:fbm

Himu

« Reply #38408 on: September 06, 2022, 05:27:53 PM »
Hey, like I said, it's still a classic. Honestly if Portal isn't on PS now I'm not sure why you're concerned with trophies but honestly Portal is a game of historical significance and should really be played, trophies or not. Then replay Portal 2.
IYKYK

Polident Hive

« Reply #38409 on: September 06, 2022, 05:43:26 PM »
Anybody play the three modem Assassins Creed games and can drop a recommendation?

Being realistic, I’ll only play one and not finish it at that. Wavering between Origins and Valhalla. Least interested in the viking setting but being the newest I’m taking it to mean it’s refined.

Svejk

« Reply #38410 on: September 06, 2022, 05:59:42 PM »
Anybody play the three modem Assassins Creed games and can drop a recommendation?

Being realistic, I’ll only play one and not finish it at that. Wavering between Origins and Valhalla. Least interested in the viking setting but being the newest I’m taking it to mean it’s refined.
I haven't played Origins, but I wouldn't recommend Valhalla, unless you're in a massive Viking mood.  It's pretty as hell, but beyond bloated.  I did play Odyssey though and loved it.  It was extremely massive as well, but the story and setting were a great driving force for me and built up really well imo...  And Casandra was a total joy to play as.

Polident Hive

« Reply #38411 on: September 06, 2022, 06:28:33 PM »
Yeah. Feel like God of War satisfies the Norse/Viking stuff. Cassandra is a reason why I’d consider Odyssey. Greece is for sure an interesting setting but not as fresh as Egypt. Odyssey and Valhalla both seem to have boat gameplay? Don’t know about all that. Origins being simpler is a plus.

Bebpo

« Reply #38412 on: September 06, 2022, 06:40:07 PM »
Origins because it's shortest of the recent 3. You can 100% everything in like 60 hours in the main game, main story is like 20-30. The other games are like 150-180 hours if you're doing all the side stuff which is too much. Valhalla is good, but it's too bloated. If Valhalla was the size of Origins it'd probably be better for it.

Polident Hive

« Reply #38413 on: September 06, 2022, 08:34:11 PM »
Honestly, only (“only”) 30 hours has Origins winning by default. Think 30 hours was how long it took to get a platinum trophy in Tsushima. Valhalla sounds like a no.

Basic researching, Odyssey is divisive among hardcore AC fans for not being a real AC. Something like that. I lost track of the overarching plot around Brotherhood. What it does is make me feel ancient that Assassins Creed entered that phase in 2018. It shouldn’t. That’s 11 years. But it wasn’t a franchise when I was a child so it’ll always be new in a warped way.

Bebpo

« Reply #38414 on: September 06, 2022, 09:07:32 PM »
Yeah, plus Bayek is a good lead and Egypt's an interesting location (Alexandria is a great city).

I still haven't finished Valhalla and will never play Odyssey, but I like Origins the best of the three.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #38415 on: September 07, 2022, 05:17:19 AM »
Origins is the most polished of the three. If you have one of the next-gen consoles it also got a 60fps/4k update.

If you really want an AC game with ship combat, I'd still recommend AC4 over it.

Immortals: Fenyx Rising was also done by the AC: Odyssey team. It's a more child-friendly take on the greek myths and the scale is a lot more concise than Odyssey. It's like a mix between Odyssey's gameplay and Breath of the Wild.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38416 on: September 07, 2022, 02:13:24 PM »
Origins is a really good game imo, and Bayek is shockingly great character by modern day ubi standards.
(ice)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38417 on: September 10, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »
Soul Hackers 2 is boring, cheap, and might as well be a fangame

This game is doodoo. With P5R out next month on other platforms, why bother with this
fat

archnemesis

« Reply #38418 on: September 10, 2022, 01:13:39 PM »
I haven't played Soul Hackers 2 yet, but that was my impression from reading reviews. I'll take another stab at either Persona 5 or SMT5 instead. I didn't get far into either of them.

Bebpo

« Reply #38419 on: September 10, 2022, 02:06:50 PM »

This game is doodoo. With P5R out next month on other platforms, why bother with this

:(

Himu

« Reply #38420 on: September 10, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »

That's what I got from the trailers. Doesn't even look like SMT.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38421 on: September 10, 2022, 05:14:03 PM »

But is it worse than XB3?

Polident Hive

« Reply #38422 on: September 10, 2022, 05:33:59 PM »
Tried Need for Speed Heat. Think it’s called Heat? The one just on PS Plus.

Already wasn’t feeling it with the handling model, locked at 30 fps, and overall vibe. Was giving it a chance and did a night race. Falling back to third place and I start noticing building disappearing. Skipped cutscenes and I’m questioning if it’s a Matrix deal set inside a virtual world. Then as I’m driving over a bridge, it despawns and all the cars fall onto mesh- and textureless hill. With the AI lost, I managed to drive up the hill and take first. Froze at the load screen afterward.

Turns out running some PS4 games off an external HDD can cause issues.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38423 on: September 10, 2022, 06:40:24 PM »

Yes!
fat

Himu

« Reply #38424 on: September 10, 2022, 07:32:51 PM »

Already wasn’t feeling it with the handling model, locked at 30 fps, and overall vibe. Was giving it a chance and did a night race. Falling back to third place and I start noticing building disappearing. Skipped cutscenes and I’m questioning if it’s a Matrix deal set inside a virtual world. Then as I’m driving over a bridge, it despawns and all the cars fall onto mesh- and textureless hill. With the AI lost, I managed to drive up the hill and take first. Froze at the load screen afterward.

I'm dying for a new Ridge Racer. I've tried Forza Horizon and it just doesn't work for me. I don't want an open world racing game. Looking forward to Forza 7 though. Please tell us about the new NFS? Is it any similar to Hot Pursuit?
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #38425 on: September 10, 2022, 08:11:01 PM »

Yes!

:( :-\

Bad year for jrpgs that aren't Elden Ring.

Polident Hive

« Reply #38426 on: September 10, 2022, 09:13:52 PM »

I'm dying for a new Ridge Racer. I've tried Forza Horizon and it just doesn't work for me. I don't want an open world racing game. Looking forward to Forza 7 though. Please tell us about the new NFS? Is it any similar to Hot Pursuit?

Understand I’m speaking from a place of near ignorance having played an hour at most. But it seems like a mix of open world and tracks? It’s an open world to get from event to event, either way. Kept thinking of Midnight Club 3 with the open world races, with huge glowing checkpoints guiding you instead of walls. The tracks were street sections with rails. Others have call this the best once since those Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted reboots. I liked those. This just wasn’t for me.

Svejk

« Reply #38427 on: September 11, 2022, 02:48:30 PM »
Returnal - Finally ripped past the 3rd biome!  :rejoice This game is so damn fun when you got that streak going.  I suspended my game after that.. Hoping I can start skipping the 3rd biome in subsequent runs.  First 2 biomes are a breeze compared to the 3rd. 

Horizon 2 - I hope I'm about to get past the intro stuff.. I was getting annoyed with how long some of these damn cut scenes are.  Find myself skipping the dialogue.  Just got the paraglider thing, so I'm hoping they'll let me loose to the open world and just let me explore and kill robos.  Just like the first one, the human interactions are dull... So far, possibly worse in this one.  Almost gringe in certain aspects. 

PSO2 - For some reason, this game is kind of hitting that sweet weeb spot for me ATM.  I got to change my class to Braver and liking it much better.  It plays relatively solid, and looks and runs great on the Fif. 

And for some reason, even though I'm not a big fan of comic book characters and/or games anymore, around Halloween, I gravitate to wanting to play a Batman game.  Played Arkham Knight (because it was free), and absolutely enjoyed the shit out of it.  So I picked up the Arkham Collection for $5 last year.  Started AA.. Even though I would rather play AC more, I feel obligated to do AA prior.. Anywho, Rocksteady's formula for these games are sublime.  The settings and atmosphere just strike some Halloween chords hard for me. Lol
Guess better late than never.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #38428 on: September 12, 2022, 12:11:15 AM »
Soul Hackers 2 is pretty good.

In the western Persona community, there's always in the background this desire for Persona to move past high school. Do a Persona for college. I chalk this up the western jrpg community having plenty of older players and well in the west college is just as fun if not more than HS. There seems to be a difference in that regard for Japan, but I have no idea. That's what the smarter more informed posters usually bring up to shut down that conversation.

Either way, I do think a Persona 3 era game could be cool with older protags. Or rather just embrace the more weird and darker tone of Persona 2 again.

But I wonder does Soul Hackers 2 scratch that itch, even just a little?

I think so. Now a lot of the similarities are no more than them simply being Atlus jrpgs. SH2 is far more dungeon crawler than Persona 5, not really having the social sim aspects. Or does it?

One thing I love about the Persona games is creating the routine of how you use a day. Yet Adults do have more freedom in how they chose, don't they? SH2 doesn't have the segmented structure of Persona games, the day and night aspect. Instead, you simply chose when to leave the dungeon and go to the bar to further your "link" with your party members.

And while there are no social links, there is a dungeon and aspect tied to further understanding and building your relationship with your party members, that does open up abilities that for example allow them to take a hit for you.

There's no Persona's, but all the party members are kind of like a Persona MC and can switch around different demons.

It's not the press turn battle system, but instead, a battle system that seems to be about making sure your "all out attack" is as strong as possible.

The reality is that SMT games can't help but be compared to Persona at this point which is not always a bad thing. These games do share some dna and sometimes that formula can be mixed and changed and still be very appealing to the Persona fan. Maybe giving them more of an aspect they want.

I'm about 30 hours into the game and it has been great. The story is interesting if a little understated. But the characters stand out. Well written, relatable, have fun dynamics between each other, relatable character arcs, and so on. Which makes the dry copy and pasted Mementos like dungeon tolerable as I'm into learning about their backstories.

The battle system has been fun, first impressions where that it seemed to strip out the complexity of previous SMT games. Very to the point as the back and forth of the press turn battle system is now gone. Yet is that a bad thing? It's very quick and to the point. But the fact that turn order seems to be random and how you use the command orders to get your stacks high as possible adds a bit more nuance to the battle system. It's aggressive and quick. Perfect for an older audience who may not have time for a 100 hour persona game.

Himu

« Reply #38429 on: September 12, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »
Gran Turismo 4

The first GT I played was GT3 and I found it impossibly hard as a teenager. As an adult I bought it on a whim adding to my ps2 collection and it was still hard and yet I had my interest piqued. I found the tracks pretty boring and yet the depth had me interested. I looked into GT4 and saw the Grand Canyon track and had to have it. GT3 doesn't have tracks like that.

I picked it up at the local retro game shop and have been hooked. It's still challenging but unlike GT3 it feels more fair. The cars have less overturn, for instance. And so many cars. I'm far from a gearhead and even I'm geeking out over the car lists.

It even has the Initial D car.

And there's an entire ass Initial D track. It's so fucking cool.

Then there's this Italy track that is utterly BOMB.

This game is by far and beyond the best racing game I've played in terms of content, depth, and ceiling to floor skill level, presentation despite it being from 2004. I never thought I could ever get into sim racers but I have gladly been proven wrong and it really makes me excited to see what they have in store for Forza Motosport 7 and I'd love to play Dirt Rally 2 and Automoblista.

One of the ways GT4 lets new players learn to get good at Sim racers is the time trial mode. I've been going to the original courses. You can set it up so that the AI drives around the track at varying speeds from slow to full on 180 mph fast. The game then records the AI's run as a ghost and then you can compete against the ghost. I've gotten so much better just putting the AI on slow speed, then racing against the ghost. I copy their out, in, out driving style and driving lines and it teaches me the flow of the game and the track until I can beat the AI in terms of time. Then I record the AI in a higher speed and try to beat that time. It's a really good way to help hold your hand while still reamining challenging. It's so fun!

Dumping the JRPG genre and opening my mind to genres I never would have given a moments glance in the past is really rejuvenating my love for gaming and yet it's from the two most "normie" genres in the world - cars and guns.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 12:04:42 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #38430 on: September 12, 2022, 12:29:49 PM »
Dumping the JRPG genre and opening my mind to genres I never would have given a moments glance in the past is really rejuvenating my love for gaming and yet it's from the two most "normie" genres in the world - cars and guns.
Yes! Break free!  Better late than never.  This reminds me of the days even right before GT1 came into the picture.  Was a total motorhead at the time, so the thirst was real.   Peak Performance on PS1 was borderline mind blowing how deep a racer can get.. of course until GT came into the picture.

Btw, that Sega Rally UE5 remake vid you posted is dope.  Guy wants a go ahead from Sega, which would be awesome,  but I can never see that happening what with all the sponsor and copyright stuff.  When yearning for racing, I tend to always gravitate towards rally moreso than ever now.  Spoiled by Dirt PSVR...  One of my better early stage runs:D  Only thing that deters me from racers nowadays is the lack of time to really memorize tracks (especially in WRC with the multitude of stages).  Sega Rally 1&2, I could probably do blindfolded.  :P

You mentioned elsewhere iirc, and yes I agree, we do need a new Ridge Racer pronto. 

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #38431 on: September 12, 2022, 12:41:43 PM »
GT4 is the best in the series as an overall package, I hope they add enough to GT7 over the years to get it close (they're drip feeding in content) because the driving model is fucking brilliant in 7.

They need to start adding city tracks for example, and some of those tighter tracks like the Italian one from 4.
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #38432 on: September 12, 2022, 02:00:44 PM »
Any suggestions on driving for a sim racer noob would be great. Getting used to apex and out-in-out.

Apparently Forza 4 is the best Forza?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 02:05:07 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #38433 on: September 12, 2022, 02:36:53 PM »
Maybe I can't remember, Forza games came around so often those 360 ones kinda blend together. All Forzas are good games tho, the only one the kinda sucks is Forza 5, which was a xbone launch title so had your classic launch title issues (less content than previous entries and all of that).
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #38434 on: September 12, 2022, 02:45:21 PM »
Svejk check out this game series.

IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #38435 on: September 12, 2022, 03:17:21 PM »
Svejk check out this game series.

That looks hellawesome.  Like Tokyo Xtreme Racer, but more a classic arcade racer vibe to it.

Himu

« Reply #38436 on: September 12, 2022, 03:46:51 PM »
Can't believe I'm winning races in...a sim racer :o

Never thought I'd see the day because GT3 is that hard and put me off the genre that much. This shit is so relaxing and fun.

Edit: popped in GT3 and I'm mopping up in that game too. GT4 the gawd. And GT3 has a great time trial mode to help you git gud too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 07:58:30 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38437 on: September 13, 2022, 03:24:09 AM »
Ace Combat 7 :cruise
I always forget how crazy this game gets. Shoot down some UAV's... in a thunder storm.

Has anyone tried Project Wingman? It looks like Ace Combat but sounds even crazier.
Apparently the plot is that the UN wants to destroy the world and you fight for the resistance or something.
I believe entire countries get nuked and vulcano's appear. As well as planes with lasers.  :doge
This is cheap on Steam at the moment. Is this worth playing with a standard controller or do you need some flight sim bullshit to make it worthwhile?
Spud

Beezy

« Reply #38438 on: September 13, 2022, 10:00:37 AM »
Pretty sure all of us on the Bore have played it on a standard controller.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38439 on: September 13, 2022, 03:16:23 PM »
I always forget how crazy this game gets. Shoot down some UAV's... in a thunder storm.

Has anyone tried Project Wingman? It looks like Ace Combat but sounds even crazier.
Apparently the plot is that the UN wants to destroy the world and you fight for the resistance or something.
I believe entire countries get nuked and vulcano's appear. As well as planes with lasers.  :doge
This is cheap on Steam at the moment. Is this worth playing with a standard controller or do you need some flight sim bullshit to make it worthwhile?
Is Ace Combat 7 cheap?

BUY IT :bolo

You can pretend that you're fighting a future Balkan war :whew
🤴

Himu

« Reply #38440 on: September 13, 2022, 08:37:34 PM »
please help

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38441 on: September 13, 2022, 08:47:23 PM »
In the western Persona community, there's always in the background this desire for Persona to move past high school. Do a Persona for college. I chalk this up the western jrpg community having plenty of older players and well in the west college is just as fun if not more than HS. There seems to be a difference in that regard for Japan, but I have no idea. That's what the smarter more informed posters usually bring up to shut down that conversation.

Kinda an off-topic thing, but to my understanding college in Japan is "party time" and when people finally relax after all the stressful high school and university prep/entrance exams.  A game set with younger adults would be fun but probably wouldn't make much difference in something like Persona.
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #38442 on: September 13, 2022, 09:07:38 PM »
please help

That driving line is the biggest load of horse shit I've seen in a while, I never even knew they had them in GT3 (I only ever rented it). Turn that shit off cos part of the speedometer flashes red when you need to brake and use the tyre marks around the corners for indication of the line to take around them. Don't play it like mario kart and take a corner like you would in an irl car. You need to take corners smoothly more than anything else in these kinda games.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 09:14:38 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #38443 on: September 13, 2022, 09:17:42 PM »
I slow down depending on the corner. Sometimes I cut through. Other times I slow down. I'm trying to slow down and def not treating it like Mario Kart. Only license tests have drive lines in GT3. To my knowledge you cannot turn them off.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38444 on: September 13, 2022, 10:25:18 PM »

Is Ace Combat 7 cheap?

BUY IT :bolo

You can pretend that you're fighting a future Balkan war :whew
Bought.

When do I get to nuke Serbia?
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #38445 on: September 13, 2022, 10:27:45 PM »
Finished Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Very few games go this hard but it's also fairly short and I assume it was made on a shoe string budget considering the asset flipping and repetition going on.
You can leave it to Platinum Games to make a blood pumping action game but it feels like what was supposed to be a 12 hour game was crammed into 6 and it doesn't live up to its full potential.

The final boss being Dick Cheney in a massive Metal Gear was fitting  :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

My impression is that Platinum has several lines going at any given time, and what may have been a priority for Konami may not have been Platinum's priority at that moment. The gameplay being solid is a sign that solid effort was given to the title, but maybe their modeling and animation resources were pointed elsewhere?

I think the bigger thing was development starting over from scratch and moving from KojiPro to Platinum when Kojima lost interest.

Himu

« Reply #38446 on: September 13, 2022, 10:44:12 PM »
Putting Kojima on Silent Hill was one of the biggest mistakes. Yes, let's put one of the most subtle, well written video game series' headed and produced by gamings biggest maximalist.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #38447 on: September 13, 2022, 11:55:24 PM »
I don't think Kojima lost interest. I don't believe he was supposed to be in anything more than a producer role. He made a big deal about having a young team lead it. That didn't pan out. So eventually it was moved to Platnium from which it seemed Konami wanted a quick turnaround.

Anyway, I am coming close to the end of Soul Hackers 2. It's a good game. Yet I really think the battle system could take a few ques from FFXIII. Certain battles have this one hit kill move if the battle drags. A lot of later passive buffs are built around affecting the battle system for only the first three turns. I also feel attacks that target the enemy are less useful as they take up space and the stack is more important. What I'm getting at is this streamlined SMT battle system wants to be about quickness, I think. Build up to the end of round all-out attack as the main attack. I think they could put an emphasis on doing that as fast as possible. Battle mechanics that put pressure on you to make every turn are used smartly. XIII does this in the summon battles as if you take too long, doom happens. Something I never saw as being aggressive and quick is what the system is about. If there is a SH3, I think they should think of the battle system this way.

Still, game is very solid.

Himu

« Reply #38448 on: September 14, 2022, 01:26:17 AM »
Game owns.

Edit:

:gladbron Pardon the dust, I've been so busy with work. I dusted immediately after this. :lol
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 02:51:38 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38449 on: September 14, 2022, 11:30:33 PM »
Speaking of dust-

Dusted off the PS5 and downloaded the Valkyrie Elysium demo off the J-PSN store (runs in English).  This is a pretty janky game.  Feels a bit clunky, stiff, and limited in what you can do, at least at first- as you level up your weapon, you do get more attacks, so maybe it gets a lot more varied as the full game progresses.

The game doesn't look at all like anything "PS5" and would be more at home on the Switch, visually.  The framerate isn't very good (is this 30 FPS?  It feels like it...with dips) and it just feels a bit jerky at times.  Ground details pop-up right in front of you as you move.  It reminds me of a bad musou game from the PS2 era.

The beginning tutorial is far too long and boring.  It forces you to do say, a single attack with square, then square x2, then x3, then x4, then x4 plus triangle several times to proceed.  :zzz  After you get through it and get to the first mission, tutorial shit you already did will pop up AGAIN, but at least you're not forced to do any of it to proceed.

Besides the basic button-mashy musou gameplay, you can also summon souls which will help you fight and add elements to your weapon, which can deal more damage to enemies weak to those elements.  You also need to summon them to do "puzzles," which are pretty much just "lock on to thing, do summon, platform is created or wall is broken."  It's all very vanilla and bland, just like the enemies and the environments.  Animation also isn't that great and the main character has this weird "half Naruto-run" thing going on.

Despite all the jank, I'd probably still get it to mess around with, but $60 for this is laughable.  It should be $30.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #38450 on: September 15, 2022, 01:52:38 AM »
Turning Valkyrie Profile, with its unique battle system and gameplay, into a generic mash em up is one of the biggest RPG sins I've ever seen in my life and action RPG lovers should really quietly put a noose around their necks to sacrifice themselves for the rest of us.

Turning this

into an action rpg.

Why? Even more insulting is the fact that VP2 is gameplay perfection from the dungeon design (sealstones, platforming), to the clever use of strategy RPG systems, massive battle maps, and battle system as a whole.

Is the dungeon crawling at least good? Because as a side scroller RPG VP used that to its advantage and just made the dungeon design unique puzzle platforming. VP2 took it even further.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 01:57:27 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38451 on: September 15, 2022, 09:27:02 AM »
Elysium is dogshit, at least they are releasing VP1 (at least the emulated PSP version) on PSN
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38452 on: September 15, 2022, 09:34:42 AM »
Finished Soul Hackers 2, what a worthless trash game

Ending(s) both are shit

Final boss is literally a space butthole

Final boss's motives make zero sense

No Mara

Bring on Persona 5 Royal. Please

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/demi/video/164405984
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38453 on: September 15, 2022, 09:40:23 AM »
Also here's me doing the any% Myst speedrun for the achievement

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/demi/video/164406222
fat

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #38454 on: September 15, 2022, 09:51:21 AM »
Turning Valkyrie Profile, with its unique battle system and gameplay, into a generic mash em up is one of the biggest RPG sins I've ever seen in my life and action RPG lovers should really quietly put a noose around their necks to sacrifice themselves for the rest of us.

same applies to the Shining series after the Saturn

Uncle

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #38455 on: September 15, 2022, 09:51:36 AM »
Final boss is literally a space butthole

That’s supposed to be a negative? :phil
Margs

Himu

« Reply #38456 on: September 15, 2022, 10:09:20 AM »

same applies to the Shining series after the Saturn

I honestly don't miss Shining that much. It's basically Fire Emblem with a Sega shell. If you like Shining you have a replacement in the Fire Emblem series which is well and alive (and thriving). There is only one Valkyrie Profile with its unique lore, setting, dungeons, and battle system though.

That said, yeah. Turning turn based franchises into action games makes me question the point in playing RPGs. If you like the gameplay, chances are some developer will try to change it and make it an action game because of increasing development costs because "turn based battles aren't popular". Combined with really gay anime storylines and I really struggle to see the point in investing in the RPG genre. Better to get into tabletop RPGs instead. No one is trying to change that into an action game.

Waiting almost a twenty years (!) for Valkyrie Profile Hrist only to get Elysium makes me satisfied in my conclusion about jrpgs.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 10:28:36 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38457 on: September 15, 2022, 11:24:32 AM »
Himu- Elysion map design, at least from what I played of the demo, was shit.  Lifeless, bland, and boring.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38458 on: September 15, 2022, 11:25:57 AM »
Elysium is dogshit, at least they are releasing VP1 (at least the emulated PSP version) on PSN

I think the second game, too?  But it looks like you have to get the digital deluxe version to get it. :-\

Never mind- it's Lenneth and sold separately too like you mentioned.
:whew
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38459 on: September 15, 2022, 11:27:28 AM »
No, its just the PSP version of VP1
fat